Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Fried...Combusken?

Thread Killer Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Kentucky Fried...Combusken?

Yeah, not sure if this is the right area for this topic, so if its not, please don't close and just move it to the right area. Thanks

Anyways, some of you maybe intrigued by my topic title. Its reference to eating items in the Pokemon show. Many times when we see Ash's house, his mom always makes him his favorite meat dishes. But is the meat Ash eating actually butchered Pokemon?

Like Miltank/Tauros based burgers, Spoink/Grumpig sausages/hot dogs, is that what some of the food in the Pokemon show are made from or is it just tofu or something. And I believed one of the Pokedex entries mentions something about Farfetch'ed being some delicacy (or was that its leek?)

And then there's Brock and his cooking meals. He says he wants to become a Pokemon Breeder, but is that so he can have something to cook or does he use some "special tofu" too?

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: Kentucky Fried...Combusken?

Ironic that I should be the first one to reply here, considering the cornerstone of my ASB Team is, indeed, a Combusken named Colonel Sanders (Sandy for short).

Anyway, I've actually wondered about this, too; it's certainly come up once or twice in Pokemon: The I Syndicate, which is exactly why I made one of the protagonists a vegetarian. Keep it simple, I always say!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I could swear you pulled this straight from one of my fanfics... where the restaurant named the dishes on their menu after Pokemon (Fried Farfetch'd... yum).

It's an interesting question, really. I suspect that there are supposed to be animals in the Pokemon world other than the Pokemon themselves... even though we never see them. On the other hand, if all meat did come from Pokemon, it would explain why everyone's always devouring rice balls.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I agree with Brian here. The show (or at least the Mexican dub) had several mentions of animals, but none of them were shown on the screen. I've always found that odd.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I think its implied they have normal meat like we do. But many animals such as cows sheep or horses probably inhabit the much more secluded areas of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn or Shinou. I imagine all the wild Pokemon might scare off the animals. Imagine a Ponyta firing off embers at a little pony. So they're probably not seen by viewers because theyre really, really secluded.

However the meat probably gets shipped all across the continent from those specific places that the animals inhabit.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

why wub woo Moderator

I'm sure Farfetch'd is mentioned in that one episode by the Pokedex as being a good meal when cooked with leek, so there is a somewhat canonical example of Pokemon being eaten.

In the game, Slowpoke's tails harvested is GSC by Team Rocket as they are eaten as delicacies.

I'm sure there is a Tauros farm somewhere in the anime too, and since Tauros don't breed or produce milk, the only reason one would farm them is to slaughter them.

Tropius' fruit is eaten by people, though that doesn't really count.

There are either two explanations :

Firstly, and more improbably, because the islands/regions in Pokemon are meant to be certain regions of Japan, it could be that Pokemon only exist in those particular places and nowhere else in the world. Pokemon scare off other animals such as cows and sheep and so that is why theyre never seen. If they want meat, they either poach Pokemon (which is frowned upon as they are meant to be rare, I think) or have the meat imported.

Secondly, and more likely, people do actually eat Pokemon, but because Pokemon is marketed at kids and are meant to be loveable creatures and mascots and not just animals which one can either battle with or eat, the issue of people eaten Pokemon is never really raised. Therefore, Nintendo are purposefully keeping it a grey area to avoid controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

People in Japan don't eat much meat anyway.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heald
    Secondly, and more likely, people do actually eat Pokemon, but because Pokemon is marketed at kids and are meant to be loveable creatures and mascots and not just animals which one can either battle with or eat, the issue of people eaten Pokemon is never really raised. Therefore, Nintendo are purposefully keeping it a grey area to avoid controversy.
    I think the H-Man is on to something, since eating Pokemon HAS come up in the anime more than a few times:

1. When Ash caught Krabby and he was sent to Prof. Oak's lab, Ash called Prof. Oak, who was boiling something for dinner; Ash was frightened that it was his Krabby.

2. The first time that scheming salesman pawned a Magikarp off on James, after he, Jessie, Meowth, Ash, Misty, and Brock were shipwrecked on a little raft, everyone was starving and began fantasizing about cooking and eating Magikarp.

3. As has already been mentioned, several Pokemon (Tropius, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Chansey/Blissey, Miltank, etc.) produce certain food items, so it's certainly likely that the Pokemon themselves could wind up on the menu.

4. This is kind of a sick joke, sorry, but it would explain why it's said that all wild Pokemon WANT to be captured and trained - go to Sea World and look around. Would you rather be the dolphin jumping through a hoop or the fillet of flounder?

...I rest my case.

Besides, it'd certainly explain why Tauros, Miltank, Spoink/Grumpig, the Torchic family, and whatever else are so rare... >_<'

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

' 3 ' Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Ah, the good ol' Pokemon food topic...

Speaking of Japan, what about Sushi? I imagine that Remoraid/Octillery, Tentacool/Tentacruel, Mantine to be on the menu. And how about the Poli line? I've heard some Chinese restaurant serving frogs. Weird menus, though...

I was thinking that there might also be some specially bred Pokemon that its purpose is only to be eaten. For example: Wouldn't it be hard to eat a wild Torchic? It could easily fry your face before you can get near it...
    Please take it easy~

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

The real question is, can you really fry a Torchic, being a fire pokemon?

And if so, can you breed special Torchic, trained to fry themselves. Release 'em from the ball, put them on a plate, and in no time you have yourself a chicken dinner, and you don't even have to cook it yourself :p
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

No risk of E. Coli!
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

' 3 ' Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

A spontaneous combustion Torchic... That sound like a strange, yet practical idea!
    Please take it easy~

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

In my fanfictions about Pokemon, besides the one I'm writting now, I mention the Tiger and the Carp and things like that from a childrens book because they're like the bloody Lochness monster to these people. It explanes how the World of Pokemon started, that way back when (today, if you will) we screwed up the world so bad, that we killed most animals, while we stayed in our protective city bubbles. Crazed doctors and what not used the animals dna and made Pokemon, they first started out veeeerry small but they also tested Hermone (sp?) inhancers on them, that's why they got big XD. So, I don't think it bothers them as much as we'd think it does. You look at a cow and go aww, I can't beleive I'm eating that, but you still eat it XD. I'm all for the pokemon eating pokemon, Humans eating Pokemon. No different on what he do today. And with the right oil and batter, any thing can be fried.
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Student of Activity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Also what do wild pokémon eat? I can imagine small pokémon such as caterpie, weedle, pikachu and others to eat fruit and leaves and such, but what do Charizards, arcanines, persians, arboks and the like eat? They are big pokémon and seemingly carnivorus(sp?). I believe that in the earlier episodes it was mentioned that pidgeotto ate bugs(including the caterpie Ash had send out, great move btw).

So I guess we can look at pokémon as we do to normal animals. Something that will eventually become extict because of human existance.

How do you deal with unexpected pregnancies?

Banned

I know how you can poach a wild torchic: whip out a sniper rifle, pop a bullet in it's head, then send it to a processing plant.

Veteran Trainer

Hey sal, I thought they'd banned you.

Anyway, I just stopped back 'cuz I had a thought: If Pokemon are edible (for lack of a better term), and one Pokemon on the menu was... Exeggcute, let's say... What food group is that? Can a vegetarian eat a Grass Pokemon? And if Exeggcute is too Grassy, then what about a plantimal, like Bulbasaur or Chikorita. Or maybe Bellsprout - a plant, yes, but obviously a highly-advanced one, almost-animalistic one.

Yeah, it's an odd thought, I know, but it's something to think about...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Banned

anyways, there must be a high death toll considering their special attacks.

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I can imagine there being regul "animals" that aren't Pokémon though they are never mentioned or seen, simply as the anime/games are keeping the focus solely on the Pokémon. I remember a single picture of Ash and his friends walking through a town and there was a dog on taht picture too. It was as far as I remember a promo picture of sorts.

I find it highly doubtable that Pokémon could be on the menu card easily given their strength and intelligence, though Farfetch'd have indeed been mentioned as a delicious food.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Elite Trainer

This is so going in my Fanfiction...

Tossed Bulba salad...1.50 (dressing +.50)
    Squirtle Soup......5.00
    Pidgey wings....2.50 for kids....7.50 for adults
    Garlic Roasted Pidgeot....8.00
    Chopped Oddish bowl...9.70

You shouldn't smoke Gloom, it's bad for you.

Parasect soup...7.50
    Psyduck Soup...5.00 (There was an episode where they went into a restraunt, Misty looked at the menu and put it down with a blue icky face. It said Soup of the Day, Pysduck. XD) (Bellsprouts an extra .50)

Roast Farfetch'd, link included....12.50
    Doduo bugar....5.00
    Fried Shellder...7.80
    Steamed Shellder...9.80
    Krabby....(Whole 15.00, Legs 10.50)
    Kingler....(Whole 25.50, Legs 15.00)
    Exeggcute sunny side up or fried...2.30
    Exeggutor milk...1.50
    Bowl of Tangela with tomato or cheese sause...14.00
    Fish fried and battered Goldeen...12.00
    Fish fried and battered Seaking....19.00
    Sir-Lin (TM thingy), garlic stuffed Tauros on a bed of Chikorita...24.00
    Magikarp, baked..1.50
    Politoed legs...4, 7.00 10,12.00
    A bag of roasted Sunkern...2.50
    Flozen Sluma...2.50
    Bowl of Octillery...12.50
    Stantler jerky..3.00
    Miltank Milk...3.40
    Chansy eggs, done anyway....5.00
    Blissey eggslad...12.30
    Torchi wings..(Same as Pidgey)
    Torich Sandwhich...7.50
    Combusken Sandwhich..12.50
    Swellow roast...5.40
    Shroomish soup...9.50
    Beedrill Honey...10.50 a jar
    Spoink chops...5.00
    Grumpid roast...12.50
    Barbach, smoked....4.00
    Whiscashed, fried,battered or smoked...12.00
    Corphis....(Whole 15.00, Legs 10.50)
    Crawdaunt....(Whole 25.50, Legs 15.00)
    Tropius fruit salad...5.00
    Fried Clamperl...7.80
    Steamed Clamperl...9.80

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Banned

uhhh....you misspelled a LOT of pokemon names.....but it all sounds delicious

Elite Trainer

And that's really bad because I bad a pokemon book right besides me as I was doing this XD I still manage to spell them wrong, but nywho. I want a boul of Shroomish and a side of Tossed Bubla.

...while you sleep.

Banned

you're making me hungry, cause I have Chinese food sitting right next to me and im not supposed to eat any!

Elite Trainer

I would like some Chinese *drools*. I could eat it every other day of my life.

...while you sleep.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heald
    I'm sure Farfetch'd is mentioned in that one episode by the Pokedex as being a good meal when cooked with leek, so there is a somewhat canonical example of Pokemon being eaten.

In the game, Slowpoke's tails harvested is GSC by Team Rocket as they are eaten as delicacies.

I'm sure there is a Tauros farm somewhere in the anime too, and since Tauros don't breed or produce milk, the only reason one would farm them is to slaughter them.

Tropius' fruit is eaten by people, though that doesn't really count.

There are either two explanations :

Firstly, and more improbably, because the islands/regions in Pokemon are meant to be certain regions of Japan, it could be that Pokemon only exist in those particular places and nowhere else in the world. Pokemon scare off other animals such as cows and sheep and so that is why theyre never seen. If they want meat, they either poach Pokemon (which is frowned upon as they are meant to be rare, I think) or have the meat imported.

I can see it now....

Pokemon behind the scenes, Ash gets hungry, and takes a look at Pikachu, "Pikachu... TIME TO TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM!!"

"Some things aren't meant to be explained..." That's what several thousand parents would have to say about that

AaaaaAaaah! The avenged Popefold

Elite Trainer

Is there enough meat on a pikachu? I'm sure if we grilled a Riachu (Spelled wrong. I know) there would be enough for four people. The fat rat.

...while you sleep.

Banned

oh, how's about we grill a magikarp instead? It has a LOT more meat than Raichu...mmm....steamed Magikarp...yum.

Student of Activity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I wonder if you could put jigglypuff or clefairy on a stick, or would they go pop? It just seems like they are balloons and the anime has thaught us that jigglypuff can inflate.

How do you deal with unexpected pregnancies?

Elite Trainer

Mm! Jiggilypuff could be cream filled!! *drools* And then covered in chocolate and froze. Oh, god. I need a cream puff now!

...while you sleep.

Banned

well, I either way, just want to skewer those things with my pocket knife, and that's enough to make me satisfied.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by lordsalamence
    well, I either way, just want to skewer those things with my pocket knife, and that's enough to make me satisfied.
    I am sure your parents would be proud

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

What about some fried Wailord since the show is Japanese and everything. Or go hunt some Stantler.

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frylock
    I am sure your parents would be proud

well, my mom would be FURIOUS since she raises those things......

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Your Mom raises Jigglypuffs?

I don't think you could eat Blissey eggs, donesn't it say if you do that it give you a curse or something?

I wonder how dragon pokemon taste, LordSalamence's avatar is making me hungry...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frylock
    Your Mom raises Jigglypuffs?

I don't think you could eat Blissey eggs, donesn't it say if you do that it give you a curse or something?

I wonder how dragon pokemon taste, LordSalamence's avatar is making me hungry...
    YOUR avatar is making ME hungry.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I wonder if yuo ate a Xatu, would you gain psychic powers? You're right, they do look pretty tasty.

Banned

my mom also raises jigglypuffs and other pokemon that look like fluffy puff marshmellow mascots on her team......it IS pretty well-balanced, though.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Oh, your Mom plays Pokemon too? I was worried for a minute there. You like Homestar Runner too?

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

If you dont be quite I will eat you both in a minute. I haven't eaten in half a minute so I am very hungry.

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

' 3 ' Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Are they both edible?

Hey, I just thought of something: What if a Pokemon died? There could be bacteria in the air and ground, but what about other decomposer? Worms and ants? Surely, imagine how long it would take for Pokemon to decay only on bacterias and weathers.

Or maybe the Pokemon body are specialised to undergo a fast decaying process when they pass away? Or maybe some other Pokemon will eat them? Speaking of which, what does the Houndoom and the Mightyena family eats? Little kids?

Jiggly-on-a-stick sounds kinda weird; like Silencer says, they might just go pop!

*Looks at a few post above*

@lordsalamence: Your mom play Pokemon? Jigglypuff? What do you know; I also have a strange liking into Jigglypuff. Never include them in my team, though.
    Please take it easy~

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Maybe Mightyena and Houndooms eat dead Pokemon. They look carnivorous, but I don't think people would raise them if they ate litle kids.