Thread: Help getting rid of some viruses

The cult of personality..... Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Help getting rid of some viruses

Recently my computer had gotten infected with some viruses. I went out and bought Defender Pro 2005 but I've run into a few snags. Here are the problems as well as questions:

1-Despire being updated as soon as it was installed I'm still getting System Alerts and messages reading Critical System Error on my taskbar. All new scans bring up nothing.
    2-System Alert bubbles read like this:
    System Alert: Trojan-Spy.Win32@mx
    Type: Spyware/Trojan
    Vulnerable: Windows 95/95/ME/NT/2003/XP
    Description: Spyware program that sends confidential information to a remote attacker
    3-After installing Defender on my computer I attempted to install it to Brandy's/Asi's computer but afterwards I get an error message saying there was a problem and that the virus logs are corrupted. Attempting to update to new logs doesn't work and reinstalling doesn't work either. Solutions?
    4-The main purpose of my computer is for a 2nd player to play World of Warcraft. Both computers are linked to a broadband router. Will leaving my computer connected to the internet potentially infect Brandy's computer? If not then are there any programs I should directly avoid using so that I don't infect her computer?

Brandy had suggested this because it was cheap at Target. Only $9.99 yet it doesn't seem to be doing much. I really can't afford Norton or McAfee at $39.99-$49.99 at the moment but I really need to get this computer cleaned up as well as the other one protected. Is this a case of getting what I paid for? Am I doing something wrong that's causing this computer to not be fully cleaned despite the virus log being as recent as 8 AM today? Please help. I'm not tech savy and I really need this taken care of.
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~
    3DS Friend Code: 3196 4256 7846
    XBL: Enigma1985 NYJ
    Steam: enigmaticwonder
    FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~enigmaticwonder85

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
    Hide in plain sight.
    Never compromise the Brotherhood.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: Help getting rid of some viruses

A couple of things.

1. Hopefully this will help you.

2. Don't waste your money on Norton. In my experience, it seems to be too well-known; within a few months every major virus will have been written with the goal of evading Norton in mind. If you want to get a higher-end virus program, McAfee is good. And it's a wise idea to get one or two lesser-known programs, as well.

3. It's hard to say whether that connection will put the second computer at a greater risk. The only way to know would be to look at the trojan itself to see how it works, and I can't really do that. To be safe, it may be wise to disconnect one or both from the router until you get the problem solved.

I hope this helps. Good luck in ditching the trojan!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

The cult of personality..... Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: Help getting rid of some viruses

It took me awhile because I've been busy off and on all day but I eventually got the system clean by using a combination of Defender and the programs you gave links for. Thanks Mr. P ^_~
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~
    3DS Friend Code: 3196 4256 7846
    XBL: Enigma1985 NYJ
    Steam: enigmaticwonder
    FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~enigmaticwonder85

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
    Hide in plain sight.
    Never compromise the Brotherhood.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    -The Assassin's Creed