Thread: FEATURES you would like to see

WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default FEATURES you would like to see

As is obvious, the board is lacking a bunch of stuff we've gotten used to on the SMF board. As has been mentioned many times, SMF was full of security holes and the switch had to be made; in other words, we are NOT going back to the SMF board.

However, Chris has said that a lot of the SMF board features (and new features it didn't have) can be implemented in vB by putting the right code in. And since the poll and the "Problems/Suggestions" thread are both rather cluttered, I figured there should be one clear space for just a list of suggestions. These are the reasons I am posting this topic.

TPM Forum Suggestion Box

If there is a feature you would like to see on this board, whether from the SMF board or something else entirely, post it here. Please remember this is a SUGGESTION box, and it's unlikely that everything can or will be implemented.

This is NOT a topic to whine, complain, or yell about features you don't have. It's simply a list of items that we (the members) would like to see on our board, so that the admins can see and (hopefully, if possible) implement for us.

--------

On that note, the main thing I'd like to see is moving the little ad bar that appears after every first post back to the top of the page. I know that as it is, we would see it less often, but (for me) it's in an extremely annoying position that interrupts my smooth reading of the topic.

EDIT: If this belongs more in the Pokemasters.Net forum, go ahead and move it.
    Last edited by VirtualPlay; 23rd November 2006 at 08:52 AM.
    SteamID: virtualplay
    PSN Handle: VirtualPlay1337

VirtualPlay: they were checking your age so they could legally allow the guys to ogle you?
    ChobiChibi: yeah I guess XD

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: FEATURES you would like to see

I'm kinda surprised that the Spoiler Block feature is not available here. On vBulletin boards the code
    Caption:
    Type stuff here
    should produce a quote that is "closed" (with the caption visible) and you can press a button near the quote to "open" it. This is especially useful for people who want to put a lot of stuff in their sigs; they can stuff it all in an Sblock so that the people who want to see it can take a look, and the people who don't aren't annoyed by its length. Also, obviously, it is useful for its intended purpose; you can write something like
    Viridian Gym's Leader:
    It's Giovanni!
    And people who don't like spoilers don't see it. In fact, the default caption if you just use is "Spoiler:".

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I want longer Custom name things!
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Administrator
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that the Spoiler Block feature is not available here. On vBulletin boards the code
    Caption:
    Type stuff here
    should produce a quote that is "closed" (with the caption visible) and you can press a button near the quote to "open" it. This is especially useful for people who want to put a lot of stuff in their sigs; they can stuff it all in an Sblock so that the people who want to see it can take a look, and the people who don't aren't annoyed by its length. Also, obviously, it is useful for its intended purpose; you can write something like
    Viridian Gym's Leader:
    It's Giovanni!
    And people who don't like spoilers don't see it. In fact, the default caption if you just use is "Spoiler:".
    We did have a spoiler tag but I haven't readded it yet. Give me a minute

(Spoiler:) test

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    I want longer Custom name things!
    What is the limit according to your profile?
    n/t

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Um, like, four words or somthing. It was kind of dissapointing, but I'll get over it.
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Administrator
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    Um, like, four words or somthing. It was kind of dissapointing, but I'll get over it.

Okay, give me a second and I'll change it

edit: I've changed the limit to 30 characters, that should be enough.
    n/t

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We did have a spoiler tag but I haven't readded it yet. Give me a minute

(Spoiler:) test
    That's great, but what I really wanted was the sblock tag for its ability to hide several paragraphs in a single line.

BU-KA-DING!!! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

One thing I would love to see be implicated, if possible, is making it so that even though you may not have looked at every single new topic/post in a forum, when you refresh the main forum page, the logo comes up for already being read. Reason being that most people don't look at EVERY SINGLE post that is made and not being able to tell when a new post that you might actually be insterest in is quite bothersome...

Anything that can be done about that?

As well as text editing... It may sound lazy, but is there any way to make it so that you don't have to close every last code tag to make them work properly?
    Matataku Hoshi no Shita de
    Kono basho ga doko darou to miagereba matataku hoshi
    Sono shita de kimi wo omoeba warukunai yoru ni naru
    Fuan wo kazoeta yubi ni
    Nukumori ga tomoru

Shinjiru to iu kotoba wo kimi wa kodomoppoi to warau kai
    Miwatasu kagiri no kouya de yukusaki wo shimesu mono
    Mune ni daite aruitekou
    Sekai ga wazuka ni kagayaku

The bonds we have with those close to us keep us connected always...

Cloyster Moderator

There are a couple features that I really liked from the SMF board. The first one is where clicking the quote button dropped the quote code right into the quick reply box. The other one, I don't believe we had in the old VB but I could be wrong, is when someone makes a post before you, you get a warning, very helpful. I don't know if this is already on the new VB, haven't encountered a situation like that yet, but I'd really like to see that back too.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Webmaster Administrator
    Administrator

Exclamation Re: FEATURES you would like to see

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    One thing I would love to see be implicated, if possible, is making it so that even though you may not have looked at every single new topic/post in a forum, when you refresh the main forum page, the logo comes up for already being read. Reason being that most people don't look at EVERY SINGLE post that is made and not being able to tell when a new post that you might actually be insterest in is quite bothersome...

Anything that can be done about that?

As well as text editing... It may sound lazy, but is there any way to make it so that you don't have to close every last code tag to make them work properly?
    On the front page near the bottom, before the "What's Going On?" box, there's a link that says "Mark Forums Read". Click that and everything will go gray.

As for the text editing, there's not much we can do about that.

Webmaster Administrator
    Administrator

Caption:
    Type stuff here
    Viridian Gym's Leader:
    It's Giovanni!
    Guess What:
    Spoiler block is implemented now.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Just a convenience request... would it be possible to add back the "Last Post" thing at the bottom of the forum? That made it easy to see if anything was happening on TPM. It's nice for people like me who do dozens of things at once for hours on end. ^_^;;
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Advanced Trainer

Check out the top of the forum for a link named "New Posts". I'm not sure what the exact settings are, but currently it's displaying all topics that were updated within the last 12 hours or so, in order of most to least recent.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Wow, that was quick!

I'm not asking this for me, but for most members, especially those who post at the fanfic forum. Would it be possible to allow members to edit the titles of their own topics? That way they'd be able to show their updates in the titles again.

If that's not possible, I guess the updates thread can be revived.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Didn't Chris already take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You can edit thread titles again because I set the title-editing timeout to 9999999 minutes
    It seems like he already made the change. Or is it a moderator-only thing again?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Slugma Extraordinaire Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Since a fair number of people on these boards like to always post in a specific color/size/font face text, I think that the default BBCode hack would work well here. Basically, it lets users input a code so that every one of their posts will automatically begin with that default formatting--for example, you could set it so that all of your posts will be in dark blue and a slightly larger-size font, without you typing in any formatting tags when actually going to write up the post itself.

If you're interested, there's more information at the link up there, and as you can see, antialiasis (Dragonfree) made it, so I'm sure she could help you out if you needed it...
    Avatar made by Jade Dragonair. Thanks very much, JD!

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post
    Didn't Chris already take care of that?

It seems like he already made the change. Or is it a moderator-only thing again?
    Ah, cool. Since some people complained that they couldn't, I thought it was mod-only again. Or maybe they can't edit the titles of the topics that were made before the move?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
    Since a fair number of people on these boards like to always post in a specific color/size/font face text, I think that the default BBCode hack would work well here. Basically, it lets users input a code so that every one of their posts will automatically begin with that default formatting--for example, you could set it so that all of your posts will be in dark blue and a slightly larger-size font, without you typing in any formatting tags when actually going to write up the post itself.

If you're interested, there's more information at the link up there, and as you can see, antialiasis (Dragonfree) made it, so I'm sure she could help you out if you needed it...
    It would appear that your wish has been granted. Check the User CP.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Webmaster Administrator
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post

I just tried installing that mod. Let's see if it works.

EDIT: Seems to work ok.

Elite Trainer

Weird, the Default BB Code thingy doesn't seem to work for me...unless it doesn't show in preview-only...

EDIT: nope, not working at all...

VirtualPlay: they were checking your age so they could legally allow the guys to ogle you?

Junior Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualPlay View Post
    Weird, the Default BB Code thingy doesn't seem to work for me...unless it doesn't show in preview-only...

EDIT: nope, not working at all...
    It seems to be working fine for me, as this post will hopefully demonstrate. The color tag is a little bit finnicky, as it requires you to put the # before the hex code if you're using that, but it seems to be recognizing the standard color "equivalents" without problem; did you make sure not to close all your tags?

However, it isn't working for me when I edit a post--it will show up in the initial post, but after I edit it, it will be restored to normal font.

Edit: And never mind, it only works when you use "post reply" apparently, not when you use "quote" to begin a post. In addition to not working with editing.

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Being able to delete your own topic would be nice~

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTewart@UDE
    You're more than welcome to go to events. But you DO NOT attack the young people who play the game. It's THEIR game. Not yours. And it NEVER will be your game. So get over it.

Are we all clear on this? DO. NOT. ATTACK. THE. YOUNG. PEOPLE.

Because we (and Mr. Takahashi, and Konami, and Shueisha) like THEM more than we like YOU.

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip Joker View Post
    Being able to delete your own topic would be nice~
    What happens now if you try to delete a topic that you started and nobody has replied to?

If you're asking for the ability to delete topics that have multiple people posting in them, just because you were the one that started it, no. That's always at least moderator-scope.

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I can't delete a topic period.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTewart@UDE
    You're more than welcome to go to events. But you DO NOT attack the young people who play the game. It's THEIR game. Not yours. And it NEVER will be your game. So get over it.

Are we all clear on this? DO. NOT. ATTACK. THE. YOUNG. PEOPLE.

Because we (and Mr. Takahashi, and Konami, and Shueisha) like THEM more than we like YOU.

Elite Trainer

Yes, I only put in the opening tags — [ font=comic sans ms][ color=red] (without spaces, obviously) — and I am making sure that "Use default BBCode formatting" is checked. And I only pressed the "Post Reply" button (for this one at least) and it's still not accepting the formatting.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

What happens now if you try to delete a topic that you started and nobody has replied to?

If you're asking for the ability to delete topics that have multiple people posting in them, just because you were the one that started it, no. That's always at least moderator-scope.
    Actually, I believe that was possible on the SMF. I deleted a few topics that I started on forums other than Fanfic... and even before I was modded! So that restriction was removed as long as you were the topic-starter, even if others had already replied.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

My number 1 feature from SMF, which saved me from bookmarking all my ASB battles/reffings, was the check mark on any topic you've posted in. You could easily scroll through a list, just looking for the checks, and easily find anything you'd been active in.

It'd be awesome if something like that could be implimented here.
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Elec Man EXE View Post
    My number 1 feature from SMF, which saved me from bookmarking all my ASB battles/reffings, was the check mark on any topic you've posted in. You could easily scroll through a list, just looking for the checks, and easily find anything you'd been active in.

It'd be awesome if something like that could be implimented here.
    There is one of those on here, Elec. It's like a little blue rectangle that appears next to the thread, on the side nearest the last poster and date of post. If you don't see it, try selecting 'automatic subscription to threads' if that's an option, (I don't remember) and it should work if it's there...

Also, my auto-formatting doesn't work either ;_; Are you supposed to put speech marks "" around the code? Like this; [ color="red"] or are you supposed to use capitals like in the old one? ( [ COLOR=RED] ) I've tried capitals and non-capitals and neither works... I'll try speech marks and get back to you all ^^"

EDIT: Nope, the speech marks don't work either... ><
    Last edited by Weasel Overlord; 28th November 2006 at 10:54 AM.

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer

Oh... well then, never mind. Would never have seen it if you hadn't mentioned it though, thanks. My auto-format doesn't work either, though, Weasel.

EDIT: I've got my default BBC code thing set to [ color=#FFDD11], and show default codes is checked, no luck. Someone above mentioned downloading... do you have to download something for it to work?
    Last edited by Elec Man EXE; 28th November 2006 at 11:06 AM.
    Master of Electricity

Junior Trainer

If you take away the "comic sans ms" font-type declaration from my dfault BBcode, the color red shows up fine without any quotation marks, capitalization, or similar; I've also been able to get the text to change to other colors, center, and bold automatically, so the [font] tag is the only one I haven't been able to get to work; I honestly have no clue why it would be acting up for you. 0_o

Someone above mentioned downloading... do you have to download something for it to work?
    The board administrator has to download a vBulletin hack, which modifies the coding to do something new--however, no, members don't need a special plugin or anything.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Are you able to get the font tag to work when you use it normally in posts? If not, it may be that you're using it in an incorrect order. vB is a little more strict about tag priorities than SMF was. If that's it, learning the system just takes a little getting used to.

Out of curiosity, what features are you trying to add? (Bold, italic, underline, font type, font size, color, etc.?) If you're having trouble using them normally, I may be able to help if you tell me what you'd like.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Advanced Trainer

Personally, I'm just trying for color. Specifically, [ color=#FFDD11]. I can get it to work fine in normal posts, its just not recognizing it for the default.
    Master of Electricity

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Okay, question... with the parts you can get to work, can you see them when you choose to preview your posts? Because I'm not seeing any changes at all when I do that... o_0 That'll make testing and such easier.
    Last edited by mr_pikachu; 28th November 2006 at 05:11 PM.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Junior Trainer

Are you able to get the font tag to work when you use it normally in posts? If not, it may be that you're using it in an incorrect order. vB is a little more strict about tag priorities than SMF was. If that's it, learning the system just takes a little getting used to.
    Actually, the font tag worked fine in my BBCode--that's why the above post is in comic sans (I haven't used any actual formatting tags on this new board to do entire posts on this board), but I wanted it to stay like that to show that it was working for me, and if I had edited to clarify that it was working it the formatting would have gone again. I hadn't expected it to work, but it did.

Okay, question... with the parts you can get to work, can you see them when you choose to preview your posts? Because I'm not seeing any changes at all when I do that... o_0 That'll make testing and such easier.
    No, alas.

Hopefully this post will be in #ffdd11.

Edit: Daaag, why won't that specific color work?
    Last edited by Negrek; 28th November 2006 at 06:26 PM.

Pokemon Heroine Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

One thing I thought was cool on SMF was the option to display your gender below your Avatar (I think that's where it was located), so that nobody has to ask/guess whether you're male or female. I'd like to see that implemented here.

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex's Signature (Epic Games Forums)
    As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.
    Wondering Where I Got the Pics in My Avatar From?

Signature © 2010 Starry Might. All Rights Reserved.

Webmaster Administrator
    Administrator

Gender added.

Pokemon Heroine Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Gender added.
    W00t, I just noticed that now.

*GOES OFF TO DO THE GENDER THING*

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex's Signature (Epic Games Forums)
    As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.
    Wondering Where I Got the Pics in My Avatar From?

Signature © 2010 Starry Might. All Rights Reserved.