Thread: Missingno

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Missingno

Post your stories here.

I have actually never caught nor seen it. But I've read quite a bit about it. If you have any questions, ask me.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: Missingno

I used to love as a child trying to capture MissingNo. It was very exciting. It escapes me now, but it always pissed me off how it would evolve if you didn't use it properly. And it helped me get like 99 Rare Candy's.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yeah, the missingo glitch was awesome for multiplying TMs. Oh the times..

I never caught it because people told me that you're game would go corrupt then.

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I destroyed my Blue by Glitch hunting. I love pushing games as far as they can go ^w^ The Missingno. is classic, I was never without Rare Candies or Master Balls.

Missingno. is so cuddly compared to that dastardly .4 and $
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I never caught a Missingno. or Block 'M Chip because I didn't want my game to glitch too badly...but merely seeing one screws up your Hall of Fame, and I'd occasionally view my Hall of Fame after it was glitched up just for amusement. There were some seriously funny things in there.

One interesting thing about the glitch was the way it would duplicate the sixth item in your inventory...no matter what that item was. Even if it was the Bicycle or the Poké Flute or something else that didn't have a number. The only way you could tell it had been duplicated was by trying to put it in your PC.

shazza, about evolving...as far as I know, Missingno. itself never evolves, but Block 'M Chip evolves into Kangaskhan at any levelup. My sister's then-boyfriend caught a Block 'M Chip, used HM02 on it, and then let it evolve, and had a Flying Kangaskhan. It amused him immensely, especially when he used it in Pokémon Stadium.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Elite Trainer

Oh my gosh, that be cool to see XD

No, I caught a Missingno. once. They evolve into Fossil Pokemon and level up weirdly. Never caught a Block M' Chip though. On my to do list.

Ever been a vitim of Super Glitch? That was damn exciting the first time I did! ^w^

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Μπισκοτοφαγος Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    I never caught a Missingno. or Block 'M Chip
    I'm aware of this Missingno thingy but i have never heard before of this "Block 'M Chip" What is this anyway?

Cloyster Moderator

It' also known as just 'M since those are the only actual characters in its name, the "block" and "chip" are just random pixels.

My brother caught a 'M before. Messing with those guys too much can royally screw up your game, as my brother found out the hard way.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    I'm aware of this Missingno thingy but i have never heard before of this "Block 'M Chip" What is this anyway?
    Most people incorrectly assume that MISSINGNO. is the scrambled pixelly mass that resembles a backwards 'L' or a Tetris block that you run into when hunting for glitchy Pokemon.

This isn't true. The pixelly creature is called "Block 'M Chip." It's called that because, as Jeff said, the "'M" is the only legible part of the name, with a blocky pixel to the left and a scrambled bit of chip data to the right of the 'M.

MISSINGNO. is not the glitchy pixel Pokemon. MISSINGNO. is the name given to Pokemon that have no Pokedex entry, yet appeared in the original games for specific reasons. Typically, MISSINGNO. appears as the Haunter-like creature that Ghost Pokemon look like without the Silph Scope. As MISSINGNO., they're catchable. Other forms of MISSINGNO. include a Kabutops skeleton and an Aerodactyl skeleton, which are seen in the game as museum exhibits.

As for how to catch these weird buggers, how to find them, why they appear or don't appear, and what they do to your game... That's a way longer story to tell.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Advanced Trainer

Actually, MISSINGNO. appears as Block 'M Chip's sprite rather often as well. (Incidentally, the "block" is formed from two small pieces of your character's sprite, and thus changes when you send out a pokémon; the "chip" is formed from two small pieces of Block 'M Chip's sprite and thus always looks a bit like the wires that cover a microchip; thus the name.)

And as for MISSINGNO. evolving, my sister once used Rare Candies to get a MISSINGNO. all the way up to level 255 and then found out the hard way that using another from there results in a Level-0 pokémon...and it never tried to evolve. So different types of MISSINGNO. are apparently different in this respect.
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 19th November 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Elite Trainer

MissingNo. sometimes apears as the scambled glitch, but the M.Blockchip always has a singular form. It does depends on how bad you've been raping your game lately *looks up from mind*

MissingNo. is like a pissed off data storer that doesn't do much harm to the game.

The other one is equally a data storer, but these codes of for things like colour pattern and movement of removed trainers and the like :0 They can do damage to your game. Not much...I mean, not like .4, $, and H--

...while you sleep.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Didn't think this thread would get so popular. I got ALL of my info from this site: http://trsrockin.com/tales.html

It even has a databank showing ALL glitch Pokemon (There are over 20 in RBY, and a few in GSC.)

Since this is so popular, any of you go to glitch city? Ever get the evil, and mysterious Bad Egg?

Cloyster Moderator

No to both. I never was into glitches that could mess up your game but had no benefits.

I used the item dup cheat all the time though. I also liked looking through my hall of fame afterwards.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

perpetually absent Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

A friend of mine sent it to me. But then my mom lost my Sapphire game, so... Never knew it was a glitch.

Click for my VS Seeker entry!

Winner of the 2009 Jack of all Trades and Rising Star Unown Awards!
    Winner of The 2009 Diamond Masquerade's Most Valuable Newbie and Best History Awards!

17:27 Samchu if Becki won't let me kill off Sara then Cici can't use super effective one-hit adorable ko moves on anyone

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosakura View Post
    A friend of mine sent it to me. But then my mom lost my Sapphire game, so... Never knew it was a glitch.

Yeah. It was used to stop people gamesharking too much. Like, if you tried to get a Legendary in RSE&FRLG a Bad Egg would appear. It would multiply in your PC, so you could never get rid of it, and if you actually managed to hatch it (It took a LONG time) the game would freeze/destroy your game.

for all seasons Moderator

I downed that MISSINGNO. sucker so many times to multiply my Rare Candies and Nuggets, as well as TMs that I would want to use again. My sister caught it once, and the character icon on the Pokemon select screen was of a little boy. Her Red got very angry afterwards. I always recall seeing MISS' as the M block, but I vaguely recall seeing it as the phantom as well, very rarely.

Wasn't there a Channeler with a Flareon in the water, too? I seem to recall thinking that, because it was a glitch, that maybe I could catch its Flareon, one of the last Pokemon to add to my Pokedex (the very last one ended up being Blastoise, incidentally). Ahh, back in the days before Wifi and breeding, where the one-off Pokemon really did feel like a special commodity. On an unrelated note, that's something I miss about the old games - if you wanted extra Eevees, Laprases, starters, etc. you would have to get it, trade it away, and start over again. Nowadays they're all a dime a dozen... Unrelated tangent over. :x
    Last edited by DragoKnight; 21st November 2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Cheesecake! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Redfire313 View Post
    Didn't think this thread would get so popular. I got ALL of my info from this site: http://trsrockin.com/tales.html

It even has a databank showing ALL glitch Pokemon (There are over 20 in RBY, and a few in GSC.)

Since this is so popular, any of you go to glitch city? Ever get the evil, and mysterious Bad Egg?
    I accidently stumbled on GLitch city when sharking once, after that it scared me so bad that I just stopped sharking period.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Happy 10 Year Anniversary Mikachu:

Elite Trainer

Glitch City! That place is cool. I've been there a few times :3

Rararara, have you guys ever fought a a wild Prof. Oak before?

...while you sleep.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    Glitch City! That place is cool. I've been there a few times :3

Rararara, have you guys ever fought a a wild Prof. Oak before?
    No, but I have seen videos of it, that glitch actually locks the game up iirc. I just don't remember what you have to do, nor would I try it.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Elite Trainer

It does, you just turn it off and on. Sometimes your data is earsed, a nee- thus is life. What ever game I use for glitch work, I try not to get attached to the Pokemon

...while you sleep.

Cheesecake! Moderator

That's kind of tough especially when I busted my ass to get them into the 70s, haha.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Elite Trainer

No doubt, no doubt :0 Pokemon is pretty explody. I'n suprise they havn't made a backup saver yet

...while you sleep.

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ah these bring back memories.

like the one time i accidently left a HM in my 6th position. Sigh! I couldn't put HM02 into the pc because there were just so many!

On my first game, after catching / seeing 'M and Missingno, I would always see crazy pokemon like level 225 Starmies and stuff along the coastline as well. Does anyone remember that?
    Last edited by PancaKe; 22nd November 2009 at 05:58 PM.

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Elite Trainer

Ah! Yes!!! XD Actually, I got my first Wilk Oak encounter, managed to surivie, and that moment after, all the Pokemon I ran into were f-janked in that area. Good times.

On that note, Wild Prof. Oak is a cheater >w< Suuuupa Glitch!

...while you sleep.

Cloyster Moderator

I remember the over Lv. 100 pokemon. I once link battled someone with a Lv. 137 Kingler. My team was all in the 70s so he promised he wouldn't use any Lv. 100s, which obviously didn't cover that Kingler, ha ha. I beat him anyway.

Elite Trainer

You showed him whose boss! :3

I miss stuff like this in the newer games. The walkthrough walls covers most, in the new version of Fire Red and Leaf Greem (Its should have been Water Blue, damnit) it wasn't the game.

Any one ever jimme into the Safari Zone illegally? Sorta the same with the Mew Cheats. Damn glitch Pokemon in your face.

I love how Missingno. evolves

...while you sleep.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    You showed him whose boss! :3

I miss stuff like this in the newer games. The walkthrough walls covers most, in the new version of Fire Red and Leaf Greem (Its should have been Water Blue, damnit) it wasn't the game.

Any one ever jimme into the Safari Zone illegally? Sorta the same with the Mew Cheats. Damn glitch Pokemon in your face.

I love how Missingno. evolves
    Nothing beats a 4000+ lb. Gengar though.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Elite Trainer

Haha!!! XD Yes!

...while you sleep.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Wow we got way off-topic.

Back on it: Has anyone actually gotten rid of Missigno after catching it, like completely? lol.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Like, what do you mean got rid of? Like got rid of the effects in hall of fame?

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PancaKe View Post
    Like, what do you mean got rid of? Like got rid of the effects in hall of fame?
    Yeah apparently its possible without restarting the game
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Elite Trainer

Yeah! You can just release it back into the wild! It doesn't fix your game, but you're rid of it...

...while you sleep.

Cheesecake! Moderator

No, I mean it's like some safari zone thing, where you hit it with Rare Candies until it dies.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I've never heard anything like that. Like I said, I got all my info from the website I posted, and the only way to fix your game is to restart it. I could be wrong though.

On a different note, any of you guys do the Mew Trick? This was one glitch I DID do. And it worked really well.

Advanced Trainer

Well, if your Missingno. is over level 100 (and all of the ones I met were; if it wasn't over L100 it was Block 'M Chip), then you can catch it and then feed it Rare Candies until it reaches L255 and then the counter resets, putting it at Level 0. Some might jokingly call this dying.

The pokémon that were over L100 but otherwise non-glitched were the best reason ever for me to keep a Raticate with Super Fang. My sister caught a Nidorino that was over L100 and trained it into a L255 Nidoking, and in an attempt to explain to our mother the significance of this, I described having a L100 battle the thing as being like Arnold Schwarzenegger...versus Zeus. My sister loved the concept and promptly named her Nidoking Zeus.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    Well, if your Missingno. is over level 100 (and all of the ones I met were; if it wasn't over L100 it was Block 'M Chip), then you can catch it and then feed it Rare Candies until it reaches L255 and then the counter resets, putting it at Level 0. Some might jokingly call this dying.

The pokémon that were over L100 but otherwise non-glitched were the best reason ever for me to keep a Raticate with Super Fang. My sister caught a Nidorino that was over L100 and trained it into a L255 Nidoking, and in an attempt to explain to our mother the significance of this, I described having a L100 battle the thing as being like Arnold Schwarzenegger...versus Zeus. My sister loved the concept and promptly named her Nidoking Zeus.
    I named my Heavy weight Gengar Slimer. No particular reason, I just liked Slimer. One of the many underappreciated characters from Ghostbusters.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.