Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Default Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Hi jubily_ , I’m glad you were able to find this forum! It isn’t very active any more, but I guess Search Engines will still find it.

That is interesting that the battery to your game is in a clip instead of being soldered to the board. Soldering the battery would maintain a better connection, but the clip would make it much easier to replace (or install) the battery.

I had read your first post and had a list of ideas to test, but it seems you have already tested them. (proper polarity, test for a good battery, Check that the clips hold the battery tightly)

Is your game an official version, or pirated? The cartridge you show that has the clip looks different than normal GBC circuit boards. Here is a link to a picture of an official game. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/gr...art/dw3gbc.jpg

I also have Dragon Warrior III, and mine has a full sized circuit board and battery that is attached through the standard soldered tabs.

How long have you had the game? Is it in your native language? In this case, it may be that there is actually no problem with the cartridge. You mentioned that you have tried to save by talking to a priest in a Church? I think you might be trying to save in the wrong place.

I have probably played for 20+ hours on my game and I have never saved in a church. If you want to save the game, you need to talk to a woman in the house in the upper left hand corner of the first town (the same house where you recruit people to join your team). If you enter the house, she is on the first floor at the back of the room. Later in the game you also can save by talking to a man standing next to the king in a castle (or maybe you need to talk to the king himself...I forget which). You can also make a temporary save by pressing START (outside of battle) and following the directions. This Log Save will be deleted when you resume the game.

Try talking to the woman near the back wall of the bottom floor of the house in the upper left hand corner of the first town. You may actually have a working game. Let us know if that works.

Good Luck!
    Have an old pokemon cartridge laying around collecting dust?

Join the Pokemon RBY Speedrun
    or
    GSC Speed Completion Challenge

How fast can you beat the game?

If your game can't save anymore, replace it's battery!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

“The one thing I will say is that it's highly unlikely that someone else tried to pull a battery switch before you.”

Mr_pikachu, you were right! I noticed the battery is written in Japanese (or can it be Chinese?… it could be bought in a Chinese store… – we have thousands in here!)
    Anyway, I agree with you, and I really think the battery is the original one!

Once again, thank you very much for your help mr_pikachu!

“Hi jubily_ , I’m glad you were able to find this forum! It isn’t very active any more, but I guess Search Engines will still find it.”
    I must say, this is the BEST tutorial I’ve found for replacing batteries!! (I only found one other…)
    It’s amazingly done! =D

I was just giving up from my game, when I looked at the forum today!
    Thank you very much for helping me on this Master Kirby!

So, let us begin:

- “That is interesting that the battery to your game is in a clip instead of being soldered to the board. Soldering the battery would maintain a better connection, but the clip would make it much easier to replace (or install) the battery.”

Well, the clip itself is soldered to the board, and it really seems to provide a good connection between the battery and the board… But the problem must be something about it…

- “I had read your first post and had a list of ideas to test, but it seems you have already tested them.
    .proper polarity – this battery system seems to be the opposite of yours, but I tested the two sides already…
    .test for a good battery – I bought a new one to replace the old, but it really could be damaged (it can happen), so I tested with the battery from the computer (which is the same)… it didn’t work
    .Check that the clips hold the battery tightly – they really does! I even have to force a little the battery to release it from the metallic structure!

- “Is your game an official version, or pirated? The cartridge you show that has the clip looks different than normal GBC circuit boards. Here is a link to a picture of an official game. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/gr...art/dw3gbc.jpg. I also have Dragon Warrior III, and mine has a full sized circuit board and battery that is attached through the standard soldered tabs.”

Well, the battery seemed original (Japanese), and the game was bought in second hand (could it be a copy ?? O_O; )…
    I scanned it to show you, it is a bit different from your original game… My version may be the European version.

Well, another thing that intrigued me, was a little stick with numbers glued to the board… It occurred me that the game could possibly be damaged and the owner took it for repair (it is one of those sticks used to identify something… you can see it in the image)
    Or maybe, this is really a copy… (but it came in an official package…at least it looks like one)

- “How long have you had the game? Is it in your native language? In this case, it may be that there is actually no problem with the cartridge.
    I bought the game two weeks ago, it is in English (I’m from Portugal).

-“You mentioned that you have tried to save by talking to a priest in a Church? I think you might be trying to save in the wrong place.”
    Yeah… actually I said Church but it isn’t… lol
    The Church is only for healing, and is located in the right of the map. I saved with the nun, where you said.
    And I tried to save in the emulator (Just to be sure!), and it worked, so I’m saving the game properly, lol!

I really don’t know what’s left to do…!
    But I do appreciate all your efforts and support! =D
    If you have another idea, please let me know!
    Thank you very very much!
    Last edited by jubily_; 11th February 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Well jubily_, I can tell you why you are having problems. You do not have an official game. Based on those pictures you posted, I would say that that is definitely a pirated game. The circuit board is built differently than all Game boy cartridges I have seen. The outside cover of the cartridge also is obviously a poorly done cheap imitation.

At the top, it says "GAME" instead of "GAMEBOY Color". The cartridge is shaped slightly differently than the standard Game Boy cartridges, and the label looks like it is game art that someone printed out on a color printer. As you can see in the picture I linked to earlier, the cartridge should be clear. All Game Boy Color cartridges that are not backwards compatible to the original Game Boy are clear, while the gray cartridges, such as your game, were only used for pre-GBC games.

I would guess that someone tried to copy the game and make fake versions to sell, but they just didn't build the saving mechanics properly.

or

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I see... I guess you're right!

Well, at least I loved the beggining of the game! That funny thing of the personalities...!!

(It crossed my mind that I could play the game till the battery of the game boy go down!! It would be a maratone! But i gave up from that ideia...)

Master Kirby, and all who helped me, Thank You very much! ^___^

Thank's for your patience and help!

I'm very gratfull!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hey, I'm sorry for bumping a thread that is this old, and I understand how annoying it must be to some of you, AND I know Master Kirby hasn't been active since last March....but I want to say how awesome this post is. I found a spare battery in my room and with my dad's help, fixed my Pokemon Gold cartridge. I'm on my way to getting the hang of the game again, and it's thanks to you. THANK YOU!!!!!

Hi thatonekid393, Thanks for letting me know that this thread has been a help. I'm glad to see people get back into the originals (pre-Advanced generations) again. Even though the newer games have better graphics, there is something nostalgic about RBY & GSC where there were less than 300 species. With recent generations, it seems as if Nintendo just wanted to add a lot of new kinds of Pokemon just because they were making a new game. I think if they reworked the gameplay using the same original Pokemon, there could be more improvement than just adding new species to every new game. (I guess this is why I haven't played any of the DS games. I'm afraid it will just be a rehashing of the same old thing. Maybe I'l play some remakes first: http://rijon.nintendo-net.com/brown.html)

You are probably right about me being inactive for a long time. Since moving last year, I do not have internet access at home and access to the Pokemasters forum (along with many other gaming sites) is blocked at work, so it takes more effort to go to the library or another location where it isn't blocked. I still have my preferences set up to email me whenever someone posts in one of my topics, so I will know if there are any responses.

If you like this kind of videogame modification thing, you might be interested in looking around the Benheck.com forums. I have posted my GBA overclocking guide in the Handhelds section, and you could also find many other (often much more complicated) video game related projects. (This should not be considered advertising since it is not a competing Pokemon Forum.)
    http://forums.benheck.com/viewforum.php?f=22

or

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

this thread is awesome. I dug out gold and its battery was done. started following the process and realized that it was harder to do without soldering. not wanting to have to go through this again i thought about what steamtostay had thought of and soon i had cracked open my gold and I'm now in the process of making my monster rom ill keep you updated

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hi there master kirby! this guide looks very promising and might hold the answer to my query. I know it's a forum for pokemon, but i bought this GBA carts and have the same problem: saving. My games are Zone of the enders and Final Fantasy Tactics advance, I can't save my games on both and was wondering if I can do the same (as per this guide) to replace the batteries. These are asian copies (i think) so is it still possible to apply the steps in this guide? I haven't opened them yet (don't have the tools). thanks in advance, and more power!

What's with people with one post posting in this here thread?

There shouldn't be any major differences between carts regardless of the game or region, so long as we're talking standard Game Boy cartridges, but those are GBA games... While I couldn't imagine it's anything but still unscrewing the cases and soldering in a new battery, I don't know what differences or new difficulties it may cause.
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_hotrod View Post
    These are asian copies (i think) so is it still possible to apply the steps in this guide? I haven't opened them yet (don't have the tools). thanks in advance, and more power!
    Hi mad_hotrod. If those are asian copies, and not official versions, the problem may just be that they weren't built right. As was discussed with jubily_ above, his game couldn't save either (and it was also a fake).

Some GBA games don't even use a battery to back up their games since they have some kind of flash chip. I would suggest trying to open up the games and if they have a battery you could check its voltage and replace it if it is dead. If that doesn't work, I guess you should just go buy a real copy.

or

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hello Master Kirby
    i just wanted to take a second or two to thank you for making a tutorial of this sort. Yours is the only one on the web i think.

I also needed to ask you something.
    How long would a black colored Pokemon Blue version last if i played it roughly once a month for about 5 years now?
    * About 4 of the 5 years i played with this cart, i used a GBA SP.
    ** Im fairly certain the game is original, but i dont think its got the newer batteries that last longer, and that Nintendo began to put in its GBC carts in 2003.

I dont have the materials to make the replacement, and i dont think i could replace the battery even if i tried; thats why i just want to know how much life is left in my carts battery.
    Id also like your insight on the theory that sais if you charge your SP, you charge that battery in the cart.

Please and thank you as always,
    Yours,
    shoomiz_723x

I'm always glad to see that people find this tutorial useful. I'm pretty sure mine isn't the only one on the web, but I haven't seen any others that have gone into as much depth.

You said that you had a Black cartridge of Pokemon Blue? That's odd. I don't think those exist (officially at least). As far as I know, every Pokemon Blue cartridge is blue colored.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it loosing its power. The Red/Blue/Yellow games do not have a clock like Gold/Silver/Crystal, so I have not heard of them having the same problem of running dry. I haven't played my Red version recently, but the last time I did, it still worked (outlasting my Silver version's battery).

If you don't have the materials, and don't think you would be able to make a replacement, then I would recommend that you just leave it as it is. Get your fun out of it while you can, and if it eventually looses the ability to hold a save, find someone who could help you replace the battery. You could ask one of your parents, or someone else who you know who would be more experienced with taking things apart. If you can find someone who owns a soldering iron, then they should be able to replace the battery since its a simple two tabs soldered to a board.

If you have any questions, it might be a few days until I answer since this site is blocked at my work computer, but I'll try to answer when I can. I'll still get the message sent to my email.

or

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Wow, that is kinda odd. As far as I can tell, though, its original; The word Nintendo is in the right places, there's and ESRB rating and everything. The gameplay seems to be in order as well, but then again it could just be a really good copy .

I also need to ask you about my first Blue V cart. This one was blue, and for sure an original. For some reason though, it stopped saving after i played it for 2 and a half years. To be fair, i played it alot; (i was young). After the first time it deleted, every file i started saved a few times then was erased as well.
    I just need some insight on this as it seems to be in your area of expertise, and the game doesnt really seem like it has a battery issue.

Thanks again for your answer though; ive been worried these past few days about my game's battery. Your reply eases my mind

If its easier for you, you could just send me your reply via email (shoomiz_69@hotmail.com) and ill post it here for you.

Thanks again, and in advance,
    Yours,
    shoomiz_723x

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Smile Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Hi guys,

First, kudos for documenting this so well. Kind of obvious, if people are still reading it and talking about it years later!

I am finding some of these older games at garage sales, etc. and want to resell them so new players can enjoy them. Finding them a good home, as it were. But I want to fully test them as well and I have run across this problem now.

One of the earlier posts asked who might be able to help in Australia, if someone was not comfortable doing the soldering. Anyone with a background in electronics should be able to do this easily. It occurs to me that in the sad event someone does not have any friends or family with such skills (e.g. tech geeks), you could always approach a professional. I am thinking any jewelery repair or electronics repair place could do this in 5 minutes flat. They replace batteries all the time. Although ask how much before they accept the job as they may have a flat rate ($5-10) or may even ask for extra for the unusual request. But if you are desperate... maybe worth a try. It seemed obvious to me (tech geek) but I wanted to mention it.

Again, major kudos Master Kirby! I suspect you have helped rescue many a cartridge from oblivion.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

To be honest, I joined here to post in this thread, though, when I'm done, I'll probably check the rest of the site out.

But, I have a spare DL2032 watch battery lying around, fully charged, and I read in a few places that CR2025 and CR2032 are interchangeable, and another says it's ok to use a DL2025. My mind wants to assume it's ok to use the DL2032 since it's saying it is. I just figured it would be smart to ask a few people who seem to know what they're doing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not gonna claim to know what I'm talking about, I'm mostly just posting to assure you somebody is paying attention here.

My gut says the opposite of yours. If there's no documentation elsewhere stating that the DL2032 battery is an acceptable substitute, I'd assume it doesn't work. I think the easiest course of action, though, would be to simply try the battery you have. Either it works or it doesn't, then you just buy the proper battery and do it again. If you can replace it once, twice should be no problem.

*shrug*
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

The King of Games Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

i'm inclined to agree with mr.e here. the battery you have might not work, but if you are able to replace it once, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you to do it again if the DL2032 doesn't work. i mean, why not try right? worst case is that it doesn't work and you need to buy a different battery, best case is it works and you save a couple bucks.

~ The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    To Be The Best, You've Got To Beat The Best
    Create your own destiny, and never fear failure...
    Proud Member of the Public Beatin' Club! HIZZAH!
    Up Here

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

May I know why does my Silver Version battery ran out first before the Yellow Version?
    Can I use the battery included i the Yellow version on Silver?

Cloyster Moderator

Gold, Silver, and Crystal use an internal clock which drains the battery faster since the battery has to hold the save file and run the clock. You probably could use the battery from yellow, since I'm sure it's the same type, but you'd be better off using a fresh one.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kirby View Post
    You can buy them online (part number P223-ND at digikey.com) if you want to pay a lot for shipping.
    So i checked the link out but it comes up with a BR 2032 battery instead of a CR 2032...
    judging by the picture on the site, it looks like it would still work but im not sure.
    I searched for the part P245-ND instead and it looks just like the battery in the red version cart in the picture master kirby posted at the beginning of this thread, but the tabs are in the wrong positions. Could the tabs somehow rotate?

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Gold, Silver, and Crystal use an internal clock which drains the battery faster since the battery has to hold the save file and run the clock. You probably could use the battery from yellow, since I'm sure it's the same type, but you'd be better off using a fresh one.
    I think you are right on that ne. The only problem now is where could I buy one....
    I have to look everywhere...

Timotei, Timotei, Timotei! Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Thumbs up Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

I apologize if I do not end up making many other posts aside from this one on this forum, because I mainly made this account to express my gratitude to all who contributed on this thread.

You all have helped restore my Gold version, and you have my thanks for your transcendent tutorial - very clear, good visual aids, and one of the few of it's topic on the web.

This project didn't take much time to complete at all, and it was well worth it. Not only for the finished product alone, but the fun, and interesting experience.

Kudos, Master Kirby, your contribution has most certainly not gone unnoticed.

I too signed up to in order to thank Master Kirby and all that replied with helpful information.

I would also like to mention(and I'm sure you might be amused by)
    I am 17 and I managed to get a Gameboy Colour emulator working on my phone which i used only for Pokemon because I was keen to revisit those great memories of being a pokemaster . My friend started to play Pokemon on the emulator with me and after a couple of weeks we decided to buy gameboys and play Pokemon for real. I managed to get a purple transparent one for $17AUD along with Pokemon Pinball, 4 game cases and a hardcase. The other one(which my friend will be using once it has arrived) was $28AUD with F1 Race & Killer Instinct. Both with including postage. My friend still had his Pokemon games sitting around so we decided to use his. I started playing silver lastnight and got up to the part where you battle your rival for the first time and decided to make sure that it would save(prior to reading this post)...It didn't give me the option to load when I restarted so today I googled around and found this thread.

So I told my friend about the game not saving and that I found a guide that explains how to replace the battery that is used to keep the save file alive. We both agreed that I would buy 3 of the CR2032's off ebay(which I did today for $10AUD, free postage) and replace the battery in Silver and any other Pokemon games that cant hold a save.

I look forward to attempting this soon....I might first try just squeezing the battery in between the contacts and if I'm not confident it will hold, I'll solder the battery in place.

Also...can anyone tell me whether its more fun to play the special edition Pikachu version or a regular Gold or Silver version?. I read on Wikipedia that you can only choose Pikachu as a starter and that it follows you around all the time, not to mention that you "cant get certain Pokemon unless Pikachu has a certain happiness level".

Cloyster Moderator

Yellow version is basically identical to Red and Blue except it has features to make it more closely mirror the anime, such as Pikachu being your starter and Jessie and James appearing. Also, if I remember correctly, the only pokemon that requires Pikachu's happiness to be a certain level in order for you to get it is Bulbasaur.

Gold and Silver are the sequels to Red, Blue, and Yellow, so they have way more features such as the day/night cycle, breeding, and the ability for pokemon to hold items, not to mention more pokemon and moves.

If you just want to relive the originals, Yellow is a darn good approximation, but if you want a better game, go with Gold or Silver.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

ok kool, I'll just stick with Gold or Silver, whatever my friend doesnt want to play.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Doesn't Charmander also require your Pikachu to be happy? I know Squirtle doesn't, but I think both Bulbasaur and Charmander do.

And fans of the anime's 1st season can really get a kick out of Yellow Version. In addition to the obvious references, it also features random trainers on Routes who have been given dialogue to turn them into AJ, the kid who trained a Sandshrew through 100 wins; and Joe and Giselle, the students from the fancy pokémon trainer's school. The ways you get Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle also vaguely resemble the ways Ash got them...there are tiny little references galore.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

POKéMON MASTER Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

this tutorial worked really well. my girlfriend bought Crystal off eBay and it seemed to work the first day she got it, until she turned it on the following morning and the save had been corrupted and she had a mystery gift with no prompting.

My dad - being an electrical engineer - added a few tweaks of his own though (dunno why he did, but he argued with my about the conductivity of some of the materials we used). We followed the tutorial up until it says to tape or solder, my dad instead used an elastic band - which rapped round the circuit board a few times would actually keep the battery firmly in place, and because rubber isn't conductive it doesn't effect the performance of the game.

Also, before we tried to take the battery out, we had a quick look at the inside of the cartridge to see how it all fitted together, it turns out our battery was spot-welded to the tabs. It was very difficult to remove the tabs, and it took a goo hour or so on each tabs - trying to be as careful as possible.

Ooooooooooooooooo! Shiny!!!

Ok, I tried the battery swap.

First 2 out of 3 went fine. I only soldered the top side though because its awkward to solder in such a tight space and its strong enough to only solder one side in my opinion.

Now for the 3rd one...The pictures explain it all...

Basically the solder wouldn't jump from the contact that was connected to the circuit board so I thought I would heat up the surface of the battery to help it across...I left it on their too long.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

BATTERIES WITH TABS (a slightly modified procedure).

Thank you for this wonderful website. It is the best tutorial for replacing battery saves for old games that I have seen. As with a few other posters, I registered specifically to thank you. Even years after you posted this, people are still using it! I just got BR2032 batteries from digikey with tabs, like you suggested, and now my Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages will have battery life for many years. I have yet to start Oracle of Ages, but now I don't have to worry about losing my save data. I bought the game used and I didn't want to risk being in the middle of my adventure and having to start all over.

Here's a little review of what I had to do since I used the BR2032 batteries with tabs from digikey (part number P223-ND at digikey.com). Your procedure had to be modified a bit.

1) I actually bought a security screwdriver to make opening the game easier. The one on amazon is a great brand (very sturdy), and was cheap. (I used the "3.8mm Security Bit to Open Games NES Snes N64 Tool" by Classic Game Source http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product).

2) When prying off the old battery, loosening up the solder with a soldering gun worked well. I would definitely put on SAFETY GOGGLES though! When my dad pried it up, we almost had a chunk of solder thrown into our eyes.

3) I had to cut the tabs slightly on the battery to make it fit, since the BR2032 battery itself is quite a bit larger than the original one they had in there. And the tabs ran into the other circuitry, which is not good.

4) I positioned the battery so it was slightly turned, but the tabs were still on the battery contacts (this was so I could access the old solder underneath, and it also helped the battery fit a bit better). I then used a clamp to hold the battery onto the circuit board.

5) I then melted the old solder and added just a tiny bit of new solder.

6) TA-DA!! Done and pretty easy. I didn't come close to messing up the board and short circuiting something, but you really don't need much solder. When it was manufactured there was actually quite a bit on there to start with. So be careful with that part! :-).

My Oracle of Ages game has a clear case, so I can actually see the large, yellow-rimmed battery. Luckily, my soldering was pretty good so I'm not embarrassed that people can see everything.

Thanks again and I hope others continue to use this website!
    Last edited by Amani2; 8th September 2009 at 07:57 PM.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by def_K View Post
    So i checked the link out but it comes up with a BR 2032 battery instead of a CR 2032...
    judging by the picture on the site, it looks like it would still work but im not sure.
    I searched for the part P245-ND instead and it looks just like the battery in the red version cart in the picture master kirby posted at the beginning of this thread, but the tabs are in the wrong positions. Could the tabs somehow rotate?
    Yep, it is a BR battery. Not sure about the position of the tabs, but as far as I know, CR and BR are both fine, they are just designed for slightly different kinds of circuits. Either should work in this case. A CR battery's voltage drops uniformly over time whereas BR maintains a pretty steady voltage over its life, but then drops suddenly at the end of its life. Check out the very bottom of this page: http://www.swcomputingservices.com/batteryorder.html.

I used the BR2032 from digikey and my games seem to be working fine so far.
    Last edited by Amani2; 31st August 2009 at 01:10 AM.

Μπισκοτοφαγος Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I would like to thank you as well for your detailed guide as it is the only one that is actually useful on the internet. I started the process but i'm having a hard time finding a battery with tabs, so i guess i'll buy one from Digi-Key.

Now instead of replacing your batteries, you can go buy a remake of your favorite game.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Firstly - Wow! What an awesome thread!! Very informational. Thank you very much, Master Kirby.

I would like to try using the spot welder to attach my own tabs, as it is MUCH cheaper that way. However, so far people have only told me that either I'll blow myself up, or that it wouldn't work (well, essentially). I've got soldering experience and have been a geek for some time now, but I'm not terribly familiar with capacitors, and don't want to cause more damage than is already present to some dead carts I've got. Could you explain proper construction and usage of the spot welder? One person told my that a spot welder using two AAs won't hardy do anything, and another thought I was crazy for trying such a thing, and told my it was very dangerous. The former gave me some instructions on how to build one, but it's about the size of a car battery and I get the feeling it's a bit overkill, as the one posted worked just fine for you.

As a second thought - which method actually works better? Spot welding or soldering? From browsing the net, I've heard about more accidents with soldering batteries than with spot welding, but I may have insufficient information. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Here's the other spot welder I was told to try (yours looks much simpler - not to mention safer) http://www.philpem.me.uk/elec/welder/

UPDATE:
    Well, after a few more hours of googling and talking to my dad, my boss and a co-worker, I've managed to get a decent spot welder working. However, I have to charge it off the camera I took it out of, as I have no (known or available) 300+ volt source to charge the capacitor with. You appear to have some sort of voltage amplifier circuit built into yours; is that correct? I've been trying to find a way to build a small voltage amplifier circuit so that I don't have to use my camera (the bare contacts of which have discharged the capacitor into my fingers multiple times -.- ) to charge it, but have had little success.

Also, what's the voltage rating on the capacitor you used, or what would you recommend? (I'm using a 300V cap now, which seems to be just barely sufficient.)
    Last edited by Jinouchi; 15th November 2009 at 10:03 PM.

King Dusk,

Yes, a DL2025 should work fine. Any battery that is 3 Volts and can fit in the cartridge would work. Basically, if you have a battery that you don't know about, just do a Google search to find a spec sheet online. I searched "DL2025 battery spec", and the 5th result had a link to the spec sheet below.
    http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/dl2025.pdf
    It looks like this is just a Duracell brand version of the CR2025.

def_K,

The Digikey part number P223-ND is a Panasonic BR2032 battery. This is a 3v battery with the same tabs that the batteries have inside the Game Boy games. I'm not really sure what you mean when you say the tabs are in the wrong position? The wider side of the battery is the "+" side (with the flat tab), and the other side that has the bent tab is the "-" side. The game cart circuit board has the contacts labeled (see the picture of the opened red cart in the first page of this thread). Solder the flat tab to "+" contact on the board (top left), and solder the bent tab to the lower right hand "-" contact on the board.

AllHail Master Kirby,

I'm glad to help. Wow the battery just exploded apart! That's why I made a spot welder when solder wasn't sticking. Based on the splatter I would guess it didn't just split open and leak a little.

Amani2,

Thanks for that link. That is a good explanation. I have copied it below for the benefit of everyone else.

So what's the difference between a CR2032 and a BR2032?

Most Lithium cells have a nominal terminal potential of 3 volts. Like other types of cells, however, their voltage isn't perfectly uniform throughout the discharge period. Because of somewhat different design, the BR-type cells yield more uniform voltage over most of their useful life, but near end of life, their terminal voltage drops precipitously. CR-type cells, on the other hand, exhibit a more gradual decline in voltage over most of the discharge interval, and thus they may give somewhat longer service in circuits designed to tolerate a wide range of terminal voltage. They also cost less than equivalent BR-type cells.

Jinouchi,

I'm not really sure what the specs are for the capacitor I used, or what kind of circuit was attached. I just connected wires to the capacitor, and when it sounded like it was charged up I shorted the wires together on the tab and battery so the discharge made the spot weld. That camera flash is back home, and I have since moved out, so I don't really have access to see what is inside. Maybe this Christmas when I go back I could try to remember to look for it.

or

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

1st thanks for posting this guide I will be repairing my silver version and a friends red version using this after another friend pays me back the money he owes me
    2nd your recommended 220mAh battery I did some calculations assuming that the default battery lasted only 6 years and have come to the conclusion that your 220 mAh battery will last 8 years.
    3rd digi key has 220 mAh ones with tabs in ther catalog but none stocked atm. edit also the tabs are wrong
    Last edited by ORCACommander; 30th November 2009 at 12:43 AM.

Hero of Fire Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Thank you so much for this guide! I'm so happy to be able to play one of my favourite games of all time after three years of it not being able to save! Now I can play it in preparation for Soul Silver

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I don't know if this has already been asked, but could you remove the front of the cartridge, then start it up, and while it is on replace the battery? Just curious.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

you will run a higher risk of frying the pcb and the slot front plate on the gameboys will restrict your work area to much

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    Actually, I've heard that GBA games use a slightly different technology that makes them immune to this problem.
    They arent immune, kind of. Your save game isn't on the battery, but if the battery time based events wont occur and that can greatly affect gameplay, the battery can be replaced, however, in the same manner that Kirby has laid out.

Pardon the late and somewhat unrelated reply.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Well I have had succes soldering the battery loose but trying to take of the tabs just hasn't worked at all and they are still attached to the battery and seem a little too mangled to work right.

Ist there any alternative that I can use or what do I need to look for when I want to buy a replacement. I live in Holland so if anyone knows a suitable store that has something I can use. Or even something I can use as an example?