Pokemon Speed Completion Challenge
Goal:
Beat all 8 Johto gyms, The Elite 4, All 8 Kanto gyms, and Red (in Mt. Silver) in the least amount of time possible.

Speed Completion Tips
  • Only use One or Two Pokemon on your team. They will level up quicker than a large team. Ex. A team of two will level up 3 times faster than using a team of 6.
  • Build move sets made up of diverse types of offensive attacks. This will increase the chance of Super Effective One-Hit-KOs.
  • Only do tasks that are necessary to reach the final goal. After beating a Gym, go directly to whatever task will allow you to enter the next Gym. It isn't necessary to fight all the trainers you see.
  • Only fight Trainers. Trainer's Pokemon give 1.5X the EXP that a wild Pokemon of the same Species and Level would give. Use REPEL at all times that you can't avoid wild Pokemon encounters. These places would be in Buildings, Caves, or in the Water.
  • Plan ahead. Decide on your Pokemon, move sets, and where you plan on going before playing. Feel free to save, explore, and then restart when you have found the quickest route to your destination. Thinking ahead will save game time since you won't have to backtrack or waste time standing still while you make a decision.

These are the key points that I decided to follow before I did a Speed run through my Red version. By following these tips, you should be able to sweep through the game fairly quickly.

Rules:
  • No external cheat devices allowed. No Gameshark, Action Replay, or similar cheat devices
  • Use of in-game glitches are allowed, since the nature of a speed run is to take advantage of any in-game means necessary to beat the game quickly.

I'm sure anyone would agree that trading in (or sharking) a level 100 Moltres would be considered cheating. Everyone has a different view of what is fair. You should know where to draw the line. For example, I am not planning on using the duplication trick on Rare Candies, though I may use it on TMs. I figure that as long as you still have to train your team to level up, you're not cheating.

~~~~~

What are your ideas on how to beat GSC as quickly as possible?
What Pokemon do you plan on using?
What are your strategies?

If you want to join the challenge, just post and let us all know what your thoughts are.

~~~~~

I am trying to think up a team that would have high speed and a wide variety of offensive skills. If you can KO your opponent quickly, you don't need good defenses.

I am thinking of starting out by only using Cyndaquil and training it to:

Typhlosion
Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Earthquake
and something else

If it doesn't take too long, I may also use Lugia when it is available.