Thread: Need help on Team building

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Need help on Team building

I was browsing the entire sub forum but I noticed lots of topics with titles like RMT or HMT. I defintely have no idea on what both abbreviations mean so hence my topic title. ^.^

Okay here is my current situation. I'm in Veilstone City at the moment and have just gotten my third badge. The below mentioned list is my team,

Infernape Male Lv 48

Item: None
    Skills: Fire Wheel
    Fire Spin
    Close Combat
    Rock Smash

For Infernape, I was planning to remove Fire Spin and making it learn Flare Blitz in its place. However I am pretty unsure on retaining Close Combat. Though it is a hard hitting skill, it reduces both the Pokemon's defence and special defence. So if the opponent would to survive the first assault of Close Combat, Infernape would ended up with more damages since it's defences had dropped.

Golduck Female Lv 50

Item: Quick Claw
    Skills: Water Pulse
    Ice Beam
    Confusion
    Zen Headbutt

For Golduck- wise, I was thinking of removing Confusion for Psychic (working hard gambling at the game corner). Also I would be replacing Water Pulse with Surf once I get the HM. The main headache for Golduck would be whether it would be better for it to learn Hydro Pump or for it to retain Zen Headbutt.

Luxray Male Lv 45

Item: Dread Plate
    Skills: Thunder Fang
    Spark
    Bite
    Crunch

As for Luxray, I am undecided on whether to replace Bite with Thunderbolt. Bite is already redundant since Luxray already have Crunch. Anymore skills you dudes can think off or after replacing Bite, the skills learnt would be perfect?

Leafeon Male Lv 50

Item: Shell Bell
    Skills: Synthesis
    Magical Leaf
    Giga Drain
    Quick Attack

I need a major overhaul for Leafeon. I planned on limiting it to the four skills as indicated below,

Magical Leaf
    GrassWhistle
    Substitute
    Giga Drain

The strategy would be firstly to use Substitute to replace itself. Then Giga Drain to absord any HP from the opponent to replace the one that it lost due to the Substitute. Grasswhistle to put the wild pokemons or opponents to sleep and Magical Leaf for an average hitter.

Flygon Female Lv 50

Skills: Dragon Breath
    Dragon Claw
    Fly
    Crunch

Flygon's skill have more or less been confirmed as the one above. Are the skills for it good enough?

I am planning to do up a team that can enjoy success on both battle and contest fronts. Hence adding onto the questions, I do a general question too. What are the items recommendable to each Pokemons? And also I still any one more slot of Pokemon to put in. So any Pokemon recommended to include inside this team?

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: Need help on Team building

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-San View Post
    I was browsing the entire sub forum but I noticed lots of topics with titles like RMT or HMT. I defintely have no idea on what both abbreviations mean so hence my topic title. ^.^

RMT and HMT mean 'Rate my team' and 'Help my team,' respectively.

Infernape Male Lv 48

Fire Spin
    Close Combat
    Rock Smash

Infernape's Defense and Special Defense are already low, so keeping Close Combat isn't really a handicap at all.

Golduck Female Lv 50

Ice Beam
    Confusion
    Zen Headbutt

Golduck is all about Special Attacks, so Psychic > Confusion is a good idea. Surf and Ice Beam are good, but Zen Headbutt is pretty useless with Psychic already being used. Go for Hydro Pump instead.

Luxray Male Lv 45

Spark
    Bite
    Crunch

Luxray is all about Physical Attacks. Crunch and Thunder Fang are fine, but Bite is pretty useless - try replacing it with a more useful Physical Attack like Iron Tail or Return. Spark is OK, but you don't really need it AND Thunder Fang - instead, why not replace one with Thunder Wave to counteract Luxray's low speed?

Leafeon Male Lv 50

Magical Leaf
    Giga Drain
    Quick Attack

I don't know much about Leafeon, but I think Grasswhistle, Giga Drain, Magical Leaf, and either Swords Dance or Baton Pass is good: Leafeon's low HP and wide assortment of weaknesses makes it a poor candidate for Substitute, anyway.

Flygon Female Lv 50

Dragon Claw
    Fly
    Crunch

Two words: Ice Attacks. Fly and Crunch are fine, but two Dragon Attacks are not needed - ditch one in favor of Flamethrower or Fire Blast. This gal needs Ice coverage.
    ~CuleX

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

phOEnixsong, not EO, plzthx Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    In Phoenixsonglandatopia. You're not invited.

Infernape Male Lv 48

Fire Spin
    Close Combat
    Rock Smash

Get rid of Flame Wheel and Rock Smash as soon as possible. Try to add better physical moves such as Aerial Ace, Return, Earthquake, U-Turn, Poison Jab... the list is quite numerous. Also, try to teach it Swords Dance.

Golduck Female Lv 50

Ice Beam
    Confusion
    Zen Headbutt

Lose Zen Headbutt for Focus Blast.

Luxray Male Lv 45

Spark
    Bite
    Crunch

Luxray: Lose Thunder Fang and keep Spark. Thunder Fang is less accurate and has a lower paralysis chance. Also, instead of Iron Tail or Return, see if you can get your hands on a Heart Scale and teach Luxray Ice Fang. That'll be more useful against Ground-types.

Leafeon Male Lv 50

Magical Leaf
    Giga Drain
    Quick Attack

No, no, NO to Magical Leaf and Giga Drain. Leafeon is a physical attacker, and Giga Drain and Magical Leaf are special attacks; it can't use them effectively AT ALL. So, for example, Substitute takes off 1/4 of Leafeon's HP. Giga Drain would do so little damage coming from a Leafeon that you'd run out of PP before you restored all of your lost HP. Definitely add Swords Dance; Substitute is still okay, although you should either use that Shell Bell or some Leftovers to get Leafeon's HP back. Try and use a Heart Scale to reteach Razor Leaf to Leafeon until it reaches level 71 and learns Leaf Blade. You can try Grasswhistle, but it's incredibly inaccurate so watch out for that.

Flygon Female Lv 50

Dragon Claw
    Fly
    Crunch

No Dragonbreath. Try for Earthquake.

Can't think of a sixth member right now... in the meantime, I hope that helps.

note to self: swinub, shuppet, anorith; also note to self, update with José, Pants and Hellbender

plusle f, burmy m

Thread Killer Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Infernape Male Lv 48

Fire Spin
    Close Combat
    Rock Smash

For Infernape, like Phoenix said, get rid of Rock Smash and Fire Spin ASAP. Swords Dance is a smart investment because its Speed is high enough for it to do move fast enough to do alot of damage. And keep Close Combat, because Infernape is not meant to stay alot for very long. Just comes in, does a shitload of damage and goes out whenever. I guess for the last move, throw on Stone Edge, since you can catch Flyers with that pretty easy. You could also make him into a good Special Sweeper using Nasty Plot:

Flamethrower
    Nasty Plot
    Grass Knot
    Focus Blast/Close Combat

Focus Blast is Special-based (at least I believe it is) but its accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Close Combat is a little more reliable, but doesn't work off of Nasty Plot. Again, its up to you what type of Sweeper you want

Golduck Female Lv 50

Ice Beam
    Confusion
    Zen Headbutt

Yeah, Confusion definitely needs to be replaced with Psychic, as well as Water Pulse with Surf. I say just take Zen Headbutt out for Calm Mind and you got your Special Sweeper there.

Luxray Male Lv 45

Spark
    Bite
    Crunch

Luxray, one of my new favorites from D/P. Definitely get Ice Fang in there for him, so he can take out those Grass and Ground types he always has problems with. Replace Bite with Thunder Wave for sure since you already have Crunch in there. I say for the last move use either Thunder Fang or Thunderbolt. Thunder Fang because he has a higher Atk but Thunderbolt also has a higher BP so I'm not sure, which ever you prefer.

Leafeon Male Lv 50

Magical Leaf
    Giga Drain
    Quick Attack

Whoa now, you DEFINITELY need to revamp your whole Leafeon set. As Phoenix mentioned, Leafeon is meant to be a Physical attacker, strickt and foremost. I guess go with Razor Leaf for now, until he learns Leaf Blade, cause that's his strongest attack.

Flygon Female Lv 50

Dragon Claw
    Fly
    Crunch

Eh...I'm not liking the set too much for Flygon. Keep Dragon Claw and try this:

Dragon Claw
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Crunch

Unfortunately, Flygon doesn't learn any Physical-based Fire attacks, so I would personally go with Fire Blast since it has more BP and can do more damage for the Ice-types. But then again, you also have Rock Slide to handle Ice-types, so you could add on Crunch for versatility. Again, up to you.
    As for a sixth member, maybe a Ghost or Dark-type?