Thread: Help With Wi-Fi

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Help With Wi-Fi

Can someone help me understand this Wi-Fi business? I wanted to use the GTS on my Pearl version, and I managed to engage the Wi-Fi connection. It had full bars and everything. However, every time I get to that point, it says I was disconnected from the GTS! What gives? What can I do to fix this?
    [IMG]horsephone.bmp[/IMG]

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: Help With Wi-Fi

It probably has to do with distance from the router. I've noticed this as well, but was able to fix it by moving a few metres closer.

I'm guessing that the game is VERY fussy about signal quality, because of the horrible things that could happen to the pokémon if discinnected at the wrong point. That means, for example, you would expect to have to be closer to the router than you would have to be for something like Mariokart DS.

Could also be a problem with server lag - your wireless link might be fine but if the internet is sluggish, the game will likely not allow transfer, or packet loss might just make it useless.
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

And also one more thing to add, if you happen to use a wireless modem that requires a password (WEP), then connection might be a little bit faulty. Everytime when I have connect to the net for online battle and stuffs, it would disconnect about 3 times before it can finally connect to the internet.

Works for Ramen. Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Be sure to enter the WEP /key/ and not the passphrase as well. Depending on the type of router you use, you may also have to assign a static IP to the DS so your network recognizes it.

Also, make sure you're using something like WEP and not WPA.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Ahh, thank you. I don't think it was distance, as I was sitting right next to the confounded machine when I tried it every time. The DS was practically touching it. Is there such a thing as too close? Can it be affected by the weather? It's probably just my internet, though...
    [IMG]horsephone.bmp[/IMG]

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Small question - have you set up the connection properly before running the game? That might be your problem. If you haven't already done so, set up the connection from the DS start screen (if you have it set to auto-boot, remove the game cart to force it to go there). This process shouldn't be needed for accessing through a suitable public hotspot.

Even if you haven't ever set a WEP key, there is a good chance your router/home network might have a default one. You'd have to refer to the router's manual on that point, maybe some OS help file as well on the network angle. I'm no great expert on this - I've done it on my own setup, but that's about it.
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Is Wi-Fi possible with more than 2 people at a time?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Works for Ramen. Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Yes, you can put more than one DS on a network.

But he's still here! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

But can more than one person battle/voice chat/trade?

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yes Mega Horny, you can. The last time when I tried, I have a main computer, 2 laptops and 2 Nintendo DS sharing in the same network. There is simply no delay in the data transmission hence I presume that just sending the data via Wifi only occuply a small bandwidth.