Thread: Craziest Catch

Geekier-than-thou. Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Craziest Catch

So, it's happened to all of us sometime or another. Perhaps against Mewtwo, having exhausted your supply of Ultra Balls, you just toss a normal PokeBall out of spite and it catches him. Perhaps you managed to, through a stroke of luck, you somehow caught Raikou your first shot before even weakening it, before it could flee.

My question is this: What is the absolute craziest successful catch you've had in D/P so far?

Mine is against Dialga. I was going for the stall/Timer Ball strategy. After fifty-odd turns, I was out of Ultra Balls, Poke Balls, and had about three Timer Balls left. It, on the other hand, was at about ten HP and being annoying. So out of spite, I tossed a Quick Ball... Which caught it. No effort. Just, fifty-turn quick ball, bam. It's in. (Well, it sort of makes sense that Timer Balls were completely ineffective and Quick Balls were godly... Dialga is the time god, after all.)
    スタートの合図 叫べ心 求めるまま
    窮屈で半端な日常は 飛び越えてやる
    ダッシュして輝く未来 ぜんぶ手の入れるさ
    信じてる絆を抱いて 賭けて行く明日へ

The real Shonta Moderator

Default Re: Craziest Catch

Heracross. Only L7 but she wasn't going to go down easily. I tried all of my Nest Balls and even my Ultra Ball. Then I used a single Net Ball. Should've tried that in the first place.

And Barboach in the Safari Game is annoying. It seems to like running away as soon as I give it some bait. Safari Ball...Safari Ball...Safari Ball....bait...it runs away. I go back to fishing.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Dance Instructor Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Rhydon.. I was EV-training them and got tired, so i somehow without thinking threw a great ball at him. And he was caught... Not that crazy still.
    And yea, in safari parks you sometimes can get really lucky!

(oh, and then i went over to gyarados for EVs, best way to do your attack EVs anyway. and after 22 gyarados and some octillery there were some staryu! didn't expect to find them in D/P wild and already asked around for one, really nice surprise!)

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

The first time that I played third gen games was with my friend's Ruby, and he was at the Sky Pillar.

Went on, found Rayquaza and then, I found that my friend only had a Net Ball, so I just threw it. It got caught, with no HP down. Weird, huh?

Since then, I have always liked Rayquaza.

But that was on RSE... ^_^;;

On my Diamond, I was battling Dialga. I took down its HP to red and paralyzed it with my Luxray, and then I threw a Poke Ball. Caught it on the first try.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

PALKIA AND DIAGLA HAVE TEN TIMES THE CATCH RATE OF NORMAL LEGENDARIES. SO DON'T EVEN MENTION THEM.

So tired of hearing it.

Chairman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

How abou this? I was battling Heatran on my Pearl version the third time, I hit it with Surf, then five ice beams...and it froze solid! I threw an Ultra Ball at it and it was caught! WHOA!

Then I tried to freeze Regigigas, and he thawed out both times! Stupid !$$#^ piece of statue! :@
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Cloyster Moderator

OMG! I caught Dialga on my first try! Seriously, it only took liek 3 utra balls!!!11

Sorry, couldn't resist

But really, I can't think of any easy catches like that, but I do remember my brother catching Articuno with a pokeball back in blue. We still talk about that sometimes.
    Last edited by Jeff; 12th May 2007 at 07:36 PM.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Mine was a Psyduck. Okay, it wasn't that much difficult but rather a waste of time.

My Monferno and Luxio are all in their level twenties and if I had to use any move from either of them. It would killed off that poor Psyduck which was only like level 8. Ended up, I had to capture a level 8 Zubat with 6 Pokemons when it still had a full HP I think and pit it against the Psyduck before I got it.

Lesson learnt. Do not overpowered your Pokemons when necessary. -_-"

phOEnixsong, not EO, plzthx Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    In Phoenixsonglandatopia. You're not invited.

Yeah... Dialga can be annoying sometimes, but I was repeatedly trying to get a good one and made a point of catching it in a Poké Ball or Premier Ball almost every single time. Maybe twenty times or so I did that. It's really not that hard to catch.

Rayquaza at full health (which I later found out was Modest with 31 SA... didn't know about IVs/EVs when I caught it) in a Repeat Ball... now, that's crazy. But it's not D/P, so I suppose it doesn't count.

Considering how much easier Dialga is to catch than other legendaries, eh... I don't have many crazy stories. I will say, though, that it seems like they've lowered the catch rates of almost everything. I swear to God I will beat the tobacco juice out of the next under level 20 Pokémon with a sliver of health that CONTINUALLY breaks out of Ultra Balls/Dusk Balls at night/whatever else have you.

note to self: swinub, shuppet, anorith; also note to self, update with José, Pants and Hellbender

plusle f, burmy m

But he's still here! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Once I caught a Staravia.

And Storm -- The best way to train attack EVs IMO, is on Bibarrel. They give you plus two, and they're fairly common in a lot of areas. Plus, they give little exp, so you can get your EV's maxed really quickly.

I have Kyogres...ph34r Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Craziest catch you say? It was definately Mispirit, the lake legend runner. Once I seent it, bam....Master Ball.

Lolz! Ok, enough joking. seriously.

Azelf=nasty plotting whore. one shooted my party after ten turns of future sight and nasty plot. Tried 3 times, failing with brilliant colors to catch it. So i left it alone and beat the elite four (my diamond user friend challenged me to a 1vs1 match). Then i was like, I need to finish my pokedex to trade from the GBA!

So......

i went to uxie first thing after the Elite 4. Twenty pokeballs later, i had it. full health, no status, just pokeballs (had 40+ of them, BTW) Went to Azelf and did the same thing, this time using my Empoleon to take the beating b/c of type resistance. 19 pokeballs later, it was caught as well.

all 3 lake legends have a 3/255 chance of capture with a pokeball. what are the odds? Oh, and if people don't believe me, just wi-fi a battle and check out the ball b4 the pokemanz is released. That's crazy skill--i mean luck! yeah!

But Palkia was a joke. (dusk ball @ day?)

BTW, i used my rayquaza Lv 100 and Kyogre lv 76 to kill my friend's party of 70 and below. His Giratina was lol'd w/ water spout+one shot like nothing.

~Seth V.
    Last edited by T3h Ky0gr3 L0rd; 18th May 2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Pal~Key~Ah!!!!!?!one!?!?!?
    "...Your life is more important than you think, Linora. Use it wisely and find a way to protect the millions on Earth..."
    -Dom'cer, CU A.I., Book I

"...All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for the good men to do nothing..."
    -AMS-SHU 00X Redemption, CU A.I., Book II

Reaper Man Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I haven't gotten far in the game yet, mind you, so this isn't that impressive.

Got a level 23 Ponyta with one pokeball...

-shrugs- again, not very impressive, but I needed a fire type on my team.
    "What pisses me off is that I can't even tell the regular insanity from the special delivery."

-Dave Jones, CRFH.

Your last statement qualifies you as a winner of a nonsense contest and a looser everywhere else.

- Roger Pepitone, CRFH

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I caught one of the 3 lake legendaries with a Pokeball (it was the yellow one).

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I got both Azelf and Uxie with Dusk Balls. I was only using them to pad out the battle for the use of a Timer Ball, but imagine my surprise when they were suddenly caught!
    [IMG]horsephone.bmp[/IMG]

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I just burned up about 20 balls of various flavours (Couple of Quick, 8 Ultra, bunch of Nest) to (finally!) get an Aipom. The trouble was it was a mere L7 and I didn't dare use a direct attack on it (yeah I know... shaking trees without a baby catcher? Stupid.) Eventually got it by using Leech Seed... which got a bit nervous after it had dropped below half HP...
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Banned

I'm planning to save my Master Ball for Arceus when I unlock him. Since I live in NYC, I'm pretty sure I'll make the event.

Now, you're probably saying, what the heck is wrong with you Dark Sage. How are you gonna catch Mesprit?

Well, if I used it on Mesprit, how would I catch Cresselia? It's a Legendary that does the same thing as Mesprit.

Here's my plan for catching both of them: I'm trianing the pokemon that can do it.

I'm going to train a Bronzong until it is about the same level as the lake legends (about fifty). It already knows three key moves: Extrasensory, Block and Hypnosis. Soon it will know another: Faint Attack.

When I go for Mesprit, I put it in the lead, and give it the Quick Claw. Then I use Block. So it can't escape.

Mesprit's only offensive moves are Psychic, and since Bronzong is half Psychic and half Steel, it can't hurt Bronzong much. Then I reduce Mesprit's hp a lot with Faint Attack, and then a little at a time with Extrasensory. Then I put it to sleep with Hypnosis and break out the Dusk Balls.

Sounds good? The same strategy should work with Cresselia.

Of course, it isn't foolproof... But it seems good.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

As a fellow Bronzong trainer, I can say with reasonable certainty that that won't work. My Bronzong is at LV54 and its speed is under 65. Assuming that you pumped it full of Carbos and Speed EVs, I'll guess its speed is somewhere between 70 and 75... Maybe 75 and 80 if it has good Nature. Even with 80 Speed, it only barely ties Mesprit, let alone Cresselia.

And Quick Claw is random at best and totally unreliable at worst - my Luxray carries it; more times than I can count, Mega Horny's Rampardos (a ROCK-type) has outdrawn him and EQ-ed him to death.

I used a Master Ball I transferred from Fire Red on Mesprit myself. But if I had to come up with a strategy for these Pokemon, I'd use a Haunter/Gengar with Mean Look and Hypnosis. With a base Speed of 95, Haunter puts Mesprit and Cresselia to shame; a few Carbos and Speed EVs will make it untouchable.

On another note, I'm here because of that bastard creature Heatran. I have, to date, wasted exactly ONE HUNDRED Ultra Balls trying to catch that monstrosity. Chipping its HP to less than 10 AND putting it to Sleep hasn't helped - the Ultra Ball hasn't once shaken more than twice.

Anybody else having this problem? I need some advice...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

But he's still here! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I had the same problem with Azelf. Try dusk balls at night. 4x catch rate. And for some reason, I usually catch legendaries easier when their health isn't near the end. I caught Articuno with a pokeball after getting it down a 4th. I caught Uxie with an ultra ball without attacking once. I caught Palkia with an ultra ball after getting it down halfway. Yet 4x catch rate dusk balls couldn't catch a red, asleep azelf. weird.

Banned

Your forgetting something. Gengar is vulnerable to Psychic attacks. One hit from Mesprit's Confusion, and it's down for the count.

Quick Claw may be unreliable, but I'll simply save the game before I battle Mesprit. It won't change locations unless it flees again, and it will work eventually.

As for Heatran, my suggestion is to use someone who knows False Swipe. You do have a Garchomp, right? It can learn the move via TM. And use Dusk Balls. It's pretty dark in Heatran's lair.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Actually, I didn't forget that - I just didn't think one Confusion would be enough to KO it... Scratch that plan...

Well, if Mesprit won't move, then good luck to you - these damn running Legendaries are my biggest peeve with the games...

But no, I don't have anyone who knows False Swipe... My best bet is those Dusk Balls, then, I guess...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Ultra balls, Dusk balls and Timer balls after thirty turns (officially stronger than Ultra balls, does anybody know for sure if they'll improve after more turns?) seem to be the best thing after Master balls. I sure wish I hadn't blown my Master ball on Mesprit. I heard that you can get Master balls from the Jubilife TV lottery. Can anyone verify this, and how close do the numbers have to be? Not an exact match, I hope.
    [IMG]horsephone.bmp[/IMG]

Banned

Yes, at the TV station lottery, you need an exact match to get a Master Ball.

I've heard that very, very, rarely, the newspaper at the town with the Daycare Center might give you a Master Ball for bringing them the pokemon they need. Serebii says no, my guidebook says yes. I go there every day, hoping it might be true.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Yeah. No rumour about the TV master balls - it's listed in the prizes. But you need 5 out of 5, so the chance per day per trainer number is only 1/100,000.
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

I am a lousy trainer Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

My craziest catch in diamond so far was Dialga: just beat the Galactic team boss and forgot to save before approaching Dialga. And just my luck, I only have three heal balls with me. I used earthquake with Torterra and got it down to the yellow. Then I just threw a heal ball and it caught it on the first try. Lucky thing too.
    Thanks to Mega Horny for the banner
    ASB Team