Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Mythbusters Thread

Chairman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Default Pokemon Mythbusters Thread

Yes, I'm a fan of those crazies on the Discovery Channel, I got hooked after seeing one episode - they were hilarious in their means of using science to prove things wrong. Adam Savage is a laugh riot!

Anyways, since they'd never let me become a Myth-tern, I decided to take a safer route and start up a thread here for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl myths to bust. Let me start with this one:

Myth: You must defeat the Elite 4 to obtain the National Dex.

Busted! I collected all the necessary Pokemon to fill out the gaps that would have required battling the Elite 4 and I visited Rowan, and Oak came and gave me the National Dex. Note, though, that I'm being realistic here - Feebas cannot be obtained without the Super Rod, and that's the only Pokemon which is impossible to get without trading before the Elite 4. (While you can spot Feebas on Route 222 via trainer battles, Cynthia is the only Pokemon who owns Milotic, its evolved form.)

If you have any Pokemon myths you want me to bust, post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: Pokemon Mythbusters Thread

Myth: Pressing B and Up will greatly improve the chance of capture when throwing any type of ball.

An oldie but a goodie. Many rumours of various button combinations have popped up throughout the life of the Pokémon games, all of which are false. The factors that affect the chance of capturing a Pokémon are it's current HP compared to it's total HP, a status effect it is under (Asleep and Frozen being more effective than Paralyzed and Burned), and it's predetermined Capture Rate - the lower this is the lower chance you have of capturing it.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Another old busted myth:

Minun×Minun=Plusle
    Plusle×Minun=Minun

Minuns and Plusles follow the same breeding rules as most other pokemon. Still, it would have been fun if it worked like that.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Dance Instructor Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Soda Pop isn't a medicine

false, it is !

But he's still here! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

If you breed Nidoqueen and Nidoking, the baby will be holding a rare item

True! Just screwing with you, we've known that was false for a while now.

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Can you migrate from GBA games after getting the national dex, but BEFORE beating the Elite 4? Or would you still need to beat the E4 to migrate?
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Elec Man EXE View Post
    Can you migrate from GBA games after getting the national dex, but BEFORE beating the Elite 4? Or would you still need to beat the E4 to migrate?
    i guess so.. too bad, because i just found people that could trade charmander, sandshrew and tyranitar with me .. but so i first have to see the diamond-cover pokemon and the prevolution of bisleef (anyone can help me tonight, just trade them up and down, only have to see them for a moment )?

Slugma Extraordinaire Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Elec Man EXE View Post
    You don't need to beat the Elite 4 to migrate.

And Storm, you don't need to have the National 'Dex to receive pokémon like charmander from people who are using D/P. They will show up as being pokédex #??? until you get the National 'Dex.
    Avatar made by Jade Dragonair. Thanks very much, JD!

Chairman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Dragonfly View Post
    Myth: Pressing B and Up will greatly improve the chance of capture when throwing any type of ball.

An oldie but a goodie. Many rumours of various button combinations have popped up throughout the life of the Pokémon games, all of which are false. The factors that affect the chance of capturing a Pokémon are it's current HP compared to it's total HP, a status effect it is under (Asleep and Frozen being more effective than Paralyzed and Burned), and it's predetermined Capture Rate - the lower this is the lower chance you have of capturing it.
    I agree that those button presses aren't viable and are just superstitions we have to increase our luck(but I'm a hypocrite - I tend to use that combo you mentioned whenever I have a hard time getting a capture, especially when the formula's random number blows to bad luck and the Pokemon manages to escape - I had a heck of a time catching a $#*#$*@ Murkrow in Diamond, and found out its Capture Rate is equal to Chansey's! WTF?!?). A recent rumor has been that if you yell "Gotcha!" when the ball sucks the Pokemon in, it acts like a Master Ball. (laughs)

Another old busted myth:

Minun×Minun=Plusle
    Plusle×Minun=Minun
    So Minun and Plusle are seperate Pokemon and always hatch their kind? I thought it was something like Volbeat and Illumise(I noticed that all Volbeat are male and Illumise are female, so if you breed an Illumise and got a male, it would be a Volbeat.) Well, nice pointing out of that.

Soda Pop isn't a medicine
    Anyone who believed THAT and didn't read the description of the item should be sticking with Final Fantasy and NOT Pokemon.

If you breed Nidoqueen and Nidoking, the baby will be holding a rare item
    Obviously false - due to the fact Nidoqueen cannot breed, only Nidoran Female. The game makers obviously didn't want people making breeder Queens.

you don't need to have the National 'Dex to receive pokémon like charmander from people who are using D/P. They will show up as being pokédex #??? until you get the National 'Dex.
    Sort of like how it was in Emerald, if you traded a Charmander, it wouldn't have an entry until you got the National Dex. I guess the makers were smart and realized that GTS and wi-fi would make it impossible to do what they did in Fire Red/Leaf Green.

I am surprised how many people enjoyed this thread! I was sure it would get deleted by the mods for being spam, but this is great.
    Last edited by Shuppet Master; 7th May 2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Darkrai (and the other less dark) pokemon can be gotten through a glitch. Myth/Fact? (Those slugs may have patched it up, I just want to know if anyone tried?)
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    Darkrai (and the other less dark) pokemon can be gotten through a glitch. Myth/Fact? (Those slugs may have patched it up, I just want to know if anyone tried?)
    It is only possible with an imported copy of Diamond/Pearl that was part of its initial release. There's a chance of wiping your data if you goof it, and Nintendo patched it up in later japanese versions of DP.
    Stop trembling
    Open your eyes
    Release your own time! Shootin’ star going towards the future!
    Draw the arch of light
    You’ll reach it, if you keep believing
    When the voice that calls for you
    Bursts open in your heart
    Everything will start, Believer!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Here's a good one:

4th Gen carts are segregated by region (i.e. Japan, USA, UK, Australia, France), preventing uploads from other regions' carts

In fact they are segregated by *language* (i.e. Japanese, English, French).
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

All things considered, I feel stupid for asking this. But since I still can't get to my Wi-fi network long enough to check it for myself...

Myth: The levels of Pokemon are adjusted when competing in the Battle Tower. They are not adjusted during regular Wi-fi battles with other trainers.

So is this a fact, or will it be busted?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post
    All things considered, I feel stupid for asking this. But since I still can't get to my Wi-fi network long enough to check it for myself...

Myth: The levels of Pokemon are adjusted when competing in the Battle Tower. They are not adjusted during regular Wi-fi battles with other trainers.

Fact.
    CHOMP~

Beginning Trainer

No.. not a fact.. You can choose to play with the real level, or to level the pokemon before you play at the counter

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post

Upon selecting the option to battle in WiFi you get:

SINGLE BATTLE
    -> FREE BATTLE
    -> Lv50 BATTLE
    -> Lv100 BATTLE

DOUBLE BATTLE
    -> FREE BATTLE
    -> Lv50 BATTLE
    -> Lv100 BATTLE

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Pokemon above level 50 will be lowered to 50 when entering the Battle Tower. Pokemon below 50 remain at their current level.

That's how Battle Towers work.

Cloyster Moderator

OK, before this thread slips off the page and dies a horrible death, here's another rumor that needs to be solved once and for all. Tangela and Tropius, are they obtainable in-game? The guides are saying that Tangela appear in swarms at Mt. Coronet, and Tropius is rare in the Safari Zone, and yet there are still people that are insisting that they can only be obtained by transferring from the old games. Has anyone found either of these in-game yet?
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Tangela: CONFIRMED as being in D/P without the GBA insertion.
    Tropius: CONFIRMED as being in D/P without the GBA insertion.

Reaper Man Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Got a myth for you. I've heard that the pokemon locater sometimes will make certain patches flash different colors meaning a shiny is there. Is this true? Supposedly, you can then use a repel to make sure your only finding that type of pokemon in that patch...

Cloyster Moderator

True, saw the videos on Youtube, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Also, looks like we have a source for the Tropius myth. Remember kids, don't trust Serebii.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Reaper Man Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Alright, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zcade0 View Post
    Got a myth for you. I've heard that the pokemon locater sometimes will make certain patches flash different colors meaning a shiny is there. Is this true? Supposedly, you can then use a repel to make sure your only finding that type of pokemon in that patch...
    I can say that is true, but only because the game itself tells you that. I was talking with Dawn after post-E4 and she basically said the same thing.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Alright.

Myth: Sandstorm has added effects in D/P
    Hail has added effects in D/P {Like making Blizzard hit 100%, and having Pokemon with Ice Body gain HP back during Hail.}

I need to know n_n Mainly cause for some weird reason I can't find out.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Junior Trainer

True and true. Sandstorm multiplies the special defense of rock-type pokémon by 1.5, and hail raises the accuracy of blizzard to 100% and heals ice body pokémon.

Elite Trainer

Ummm, can you get Gangar in the scary room with the Gangar picture in the old tower, how long does it take?

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Junior Trainer

Gengar appears only in the right room on the second floor, and only if you have a pokémon game inserted into the GBA slot. I'm too lazy to check if that's the "scary room with the gengar picture", but yeah. Its appearance rate is equal to that of all other GBA-insertion 'mon.

Veteran Trainer

Another myth???

The rate at which Elekids will hold Electricizers and Magby's with Magmarizers depends upon your completion of the inserted game's Pokedex. (i.e, if you finished it, they have a 98.5% chance of holding it.- whereas if you only have it completed around 33%-then only 33% of the time you'll see aforementioned Pokemon with said item)
    Last edited by DarkestLight; 25th May 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

Cloyster Moderator

Gengar appears in the 4th room from the left (the one with the painting).

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Rumor: You can use the Battle Tower to fill up your Pokedex, there by getting Pokedex pictures of all the hard to reach Pokemon like Squirtle or Cyndaquil.

Truth: False, the Battle Tower does not record any Pokemon sadly, even though it does contain every single Pokemon in the game.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Dragonfly View Post

I remember hearing and entrusting my wholesale belief in this technique back in the golden days of elementary school. I figured out it doesn't do squat a long time ago, but I still do it just for luck.
    [IMG]horsephone.bmp[/IMG]

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

Myth: In the underground there is more treasure in the walls around places where spheres have been buried

(Some one please tell me if this is myth or not, I have noticed this happen a bit but I really need to know for sure)

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

BUSTED.

I buried five Spheres at the entrance of my Secret Base; after two weeks of searching, I found only one or two troves of buried treasure in the walls around the Base, and none of it was worth mentioning.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Veteran Trainer

Got a new one.

Myth: Pokerus leaves your party Pokemon in 24 hours.

Is that bloody true? Cause if it is, then I have reason to freak out.

Entertaining quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    Got a new one.

Myth: Pokerus leaves your party Pokemon in 24 hours.

Is that bloody true? Cause if it is, then I have reason to freak out.
    Now while I don't know how long pokerus lasts in DP, do know that once a pokemon has it, it will always gain double EV, even after it isn't contagious anymore.

When there's a purple "pokerus" indicator on the pokemon, it's contagious and will pass it to any pokemon in your active party at random (I think after a battle, but I'm not sure). After a period of time, it can no longer pass it along - you'll see a little happy face icon on the summary screen - but it will still have the effects of the virus, namely, doubled EV.

You can always stop time for the pokerus virus by sticking the pokemon in a PC box and only bringing it out when you want to spread pokerus to others.

Elite Trainer

Sweet! I'll just have to be paceint...(sp? -_-)

Myth: By making crazy names like !!!!6575KID and stuff like that, you can get rare pokemon like Mewtwo at random times?

...while you sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    Myth: By making crazy names like !!!!6575KID and stuff like that, you can get rare pokemon like Mewtwo at random times?
    Okay, I think I know where that "myth" comes from. It's actually true to an extent in the first generation games. It has to do with how the games stored your name during the pokemon catching demo (when the name was temporarily changed to "Old Man") and a programming oversight that kept that information saved in memory.

If you did the "surf trick" to try to catch Missingno, the game would take data from your name and use it to call up a pokemon of a certain level. If you knew how the data was encoded you could name yourself something that would bring up a legitimate pokemon.

I really read the Pokemon Wiki way too much in my free time.

Elite Trainer

Oh, yeah ^_^ I know how it works, trust me. I've fiddled with my faddle more than every other person I know! ^_^ Name a glitch and I'd do it...killed my blue *sniffles* I just wanted to see what others would say

I love Wiki Pokemon, and Yu-gi-oh. Hmmm, let's see- Oh!

Myth: Okay, I'm gunna spell these wrong but *closed my eyes* Crap, do I remember it? You have a level 100 Ragice? Rock? Steel? and a level 100 Requesa (sp?) take 'em to the daycare and walk 15,0000-ish steps. You'll get a super rare mystery egg after that.

I never tried it since neither of them are at level 100 yet...

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Razola View Post
    Tropius: CONFIRMED as being in D/P without the GBA insertion.
    ...Okay, but the question is how the heck do you get Tropius to appear? When I looked at the Dex, it said 'Area Unknown'. Even when you need the Radar, it says something is there. I know where it's supposed to be (Safari Zone), but.... And, of course, it says 'Area Unknown' for Munchlax even though we know it appears on the trees with an impossible rarity, so there has to be some trick to Tropius...

EDIT: And after asking around at GameFaqs (among other places), they don't know anything either. That's not much of a good sign. Someone said Tropius might have been removed from the english release, but I figure he didn't know what the heck he was talking about.
    Last edited by Pokemaster Ash; 26th June 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I've got one:

Do normal-type Pokemon get STAB in D/P?

As far as I know, they never got it in the older games, but I've read otherwise about the latest ones. Can anyone clarify?