View Poll Results: Which world shall we use for the TPM DND?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wheel of Time - Asilynne

1 10.00%
  • Pokemastaria - Heald

3 30.00%
  • Name-Not-Announced - Blademaster

4 40.00%
  • Tepokemasta - Mystic_clown

2 20.00%
  • Dream of the Archer - Drusilla

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPM DnD

The destroyer of worlds Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default TPM DnD

Recently, I have been attending a games club at my university and it was there that I got my first taste of DnD (Dungeons and Dragons for those who don't know). After looking at Houndoom_Lover's RPG "The House" which uses dice roles as part of the game play, I began wondering. What if we tried to play DnD here on TPM? How would that work?

During working this out, A second idea formed in my mind.

What if we created our own DnD? New races, classes, skills, feats, monsters, everything!

Since this is a TPM DnD, I figured that all of TPM (or at least, those who wat to participate) should have a hand in creating it.

So now, I ask you, would anyone want this to happen? Who will help me create this RPG Juggernaut?

Oh, and to the Mods, would I even be allowed to do this? I guess I should have mentioned this sooner ^_^;;
    I'm in your dimensions, screwing with your reality!

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: TPM DnD

Yes!! ^o^ House...you should all look at it for an example of dice play (<---Shameless plug)

In other news, I think that's a great idea to have a D&D section roleplay under the roleplay section! That'll...be neat....^_^ Yeah! I'll help if my help is needed.

OooooooOoooo= (<---A Catipillar)
    Last edited by Houndoom_Lover; 30th April 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well by definition then we can't just exclusively include DnD we have to think about the other RPGs out there that run off a dice system. For instnance: Big Eye Small Mouth, Fireborn, Call of Cuthullu, World of Darkness (Old and New), Deadlands.

We can't exclude all these awesome settings for only DnD though...

I RUN a Werewolf: The Forsaken RPG on the Collegiate Association of Table Top Gamers Forums (kindly set up by the one incharge of the organization... that and I'm the current President of the first Chapter of the National Group ^^U). As it stands I'm also going to see about getting some other Play-by-Post RPGs that use dice rolls as a means for resolving conflict (similar to the actual Games). I'd love more players [/shameless plug] and introduce them to the world of Darkness.

I'm also considering setting up a Fireborn and Marvel Universe RPG Forums for those specific games. That way all you need are the books, and we're ready to play!

Yeah.... I'm a GEEK (and damn proud of it ^^U)
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

:3 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I myself have been in several DnD campaigns and have had a hand in designing my own version of a Bleach RP dice-roll game and Dr.McNinja has designed a Naruto one. As of now, I am currently in AND hosting a Vampire of the Masquerade RP which I believe, runs better than DnD. (It's more about story telling and less about stats).

I doubt a whole section would be dedicated to DnD in the RP, just because you'd have to prove there was a need for it. If you want to do a DnD campaign, run it just like a normal RPG would with a sign-up topic and such. If you want to create new races and go that long route, then use this topic hear to discuss and do it. Once you implement your plan into action, create an RP topic for it just as you would any normal RP.

If Roy or Kirst disagrees, they can say so. This is just my opinion on the matter. But go for it! The more creative we get around here, the more active things will be. ^_^
    [Please Send Tell]
    Video Games, Life, and the Random Objects You Trip Over

why wub woo Moderator

I would love a DnD, especially one that was as diverse as possible. Classes could range from Wizard to Pirate to Ninja, to more ludicrous ones such as Rock Star, Pikey, Pyromaniac, Pizza Delivery Boy, Juggler etc., with locations such as more traditional ones such as caves, castles, tombs to more fun ones such as ski resorts, a British pub, a funfair maybe? Anyway, the most important parts in my opinion are setting out a decent outset (i.e. why all these heroes are here anyway), developed classes, some cool monsters and pirates. You can never have enough pirates.

If you wanted, allow people to submit classes of their choice, and then maybe submit some beasties as well that need killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

^I like that idea. Having it be 'realistic' while at the same time still retaining base DnD elements would definitely be a perk - it'd probably intrigue non-familiars of DnD to give it a try, as well.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

The real Shonta Moderator

Why not? If I finally can get out my dusty bag of dice and the books that I only used once since my D&D buddies abandoned me left for marriage and Full Sail Institute, then I'm up for it.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Elite Trainer

yay! people like my idea! ^_^

MewMaster: Hmmm, interesting. The idea of keeping the dice rolls for conflicts makes sense, since it leaves us much more time for actual roleplaying. Though the DM could also spring on some surprises to keep the story interesting (traps, secret treasure, ambushes, etc.)

Bulbasaur4: Thank you for your support *bows* Hopefully this will get everybody in the RPG forums a bit more active ^_^.

Heald: That is what I set up this topic for. I want everyone to get involved in its creation. If anyone has any ideas for places, classes, monsters, etc. please, let us know! We would be glad to have your ideas.

Blademaster and classy_cat18: Thank you for your support guys ^_^

Hmm, that reminds me. Do we have any volenteers to be DM? Who wants to give up being an actual character to be the omnipotent assman who torments our heroes for their own twisted amusement? Anyone? You must have dice though.

Master Trainer

Or a dice roller program. Which there are several that I use. However since I'm busy running the WoD for my players I can't really devote time to DnD especially since I don't care for the system that much :/
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

Elite Trainer

Fair enough. I still hope you can contribute something to this.

Elite Trainer

Why not? If I finally can get out my dusty bag of dice and the books that I only used once since my D&D buddies abandoned me left for marriage and Full Sail Institute, then I'm up for it.
    ^____^ Story of my life Miss. Classy_Cat!! I could be a DM, if need be, I'm pretty fresh with all the rules and have all the dice. I found my eight sided last night!!! ^___^u...though it would be nice to be a character for once...

^.^oo
    ooo
    ooo
    ooo
    ooo (<--- A face stealing jelly fish)

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Well, it's safe to say that this has my approval too, since I <3 D&D.

As for the dice rolling, heh, if we leave it to combat only (and stats, perhaps? it's more random that way, and then we won't have over-powered characters - it's something to think about) it'll be like those choose-your-own-path books that I used to read so often as a kid, lol. Those were damn fun. But the only problem with the fact that there's dice rolling online is that how will we know if people are being fair with the dice? In person, you can say OI! You didn't roll a natural 20! *slap* But online there's no way of seeing (unless there is and I am naive). In that scenario, perhaps all the dice rolling should be left to the DM. Although the problem with that is that people might say that the DM was biased in some way, etc.

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Elite Trainer

I was thinking that as well. We would need to find a DM who we can be certain wont be biased. I was thinking of dice rolling for the stats as well, and have rerolls for if your character's either:

a) the equivilent of a feeble old man in a wheel chair.

or.

b) god incarnate.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

For battles we can all have a set time to jump in aim or something, like in a chat room for this DnD and there everyone can see the rolls (AIM has a simple rolling thing built in). As an example a day like saturday can be an official battle day and everyone can be in the chat room at the same time to see the rolls commence. If someone wouldnt be able to make it to the chat for any reason thier rolls could be done by the gm, and that way there would be witnesses plus a chat log of each roll so there isnt any cheating. Plus the chat itself could be lots of in character fun, as real DnD gets to be lol I know in the campaigns Ive done it was sometimes more fun to laugh and joke about the things we were fighting than if we were just calling out numbers and stats ^-^

Something to think about

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

Elite Trainer

That's a really good idea, but the main problem with it is time zones. I know a few people on here who are in England, and then there's Malaysia and Australia and then all you Americans, lol. It'd be tricky if not nigh on impossible to arrange a time when everyone's online at the same time.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Elite Trainer

Weasel has a bit of a point. Time zones are a bit difficult to monitor. And then there's those who don't have AIM at all (like me <.< >.>). Maybe a few people could be there to witness the dice rolling just to seem fair.

Master Trainer

Well the thing is for combat you'd have to set up a roster, since everyone's actions are going to be dependant upon what happens.

Use a turn system.

TUrn 1: Slash at the Rouge
    Turn 2: Use Spring attack on the wizard (if any) or hit the Rouge again.
    Turn 3: Attack the Rouge oncemore if they haven't dropped. If not, then go after someone attacking another party mate.

A system like this works fairly well since the roster would limit who can post and whatnot. Then the DM can take that and build the combat and rolls from it.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Elite Trainer

Yeah! ^_^ And I'd like to point out, I'd be hornorable in my rolls ^_^

But...I have an idea *twists about* o^__^o I hope you like it! Our world could be based on the Mario world! Like, a race for example could be a Goomba, and a class would be Winged! ^_^ Wouldn't that be fun?

...while you sleep.

Elite Trainer

Mew Master: Well, for combat, I was thinking of something similar to ASB in a way. Each party member outlines what they'll do for the round, and then the DM tells what happened. In what order these things happen depends on each character's innitiative (innitiative rolls will be done by the DM)

Veteran Trainer

I said it on MSN and I'll say it here: Giant robot fights.

Come on. Dungeons and Dragons + giant robot fights = the wet dream of every nerd on the planet.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

why wub woo Moderator

Yeah, that's a good idea. Don't use dice rolls for movement, but for combat, you list what attacks you want to use and such, and then the DM rolls it.

I reckon there should be at least 3 different DMs, therefore at least one should be online once per day, otherwise it will suck if we're all waiting for one DM to roll the dice and his internet is dead or he happens to be especially lazy.

Anyway, I guess as far as character creation goes, instead of randomly deciding, each person gets a set amount of points and is allowed to allocate them in a number of fields i.e. strength, initiative, stamina, wisdom etc. Each DnD has a different set of fields, but usually there ought to be 6 or 7, at max 8. The thing we have to bear in mind is are we going to follow official rules or make up our own rules? I reckon making up our own ought to be very rewarding.
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Anyway, I guess as far as character creation goes, instead of randomly deciding, each person gets a set amount of points and is allowed to allocate them in a number of fields i.e. strength, initiative, stamina, wisdom etc. Each DnD has a different set of fields, but usually there ought to be 6 or 7, at max 8.
    Like in Fallout 2? Would each of these fields have a set limit, as well? I'm curious because from what little I know about D&D, each class has their own strengths and weaknesses, like the warriors being very strong and yet sucking HORRIBLY at stuff like agility and magic.

So, let's say we have a total of 6 fields: physical strength, magical strength, intelligence, stamina, initiative, and agility. And let's say that each player gets a total of... I dunno... 40 points. Would there be an upper limit to each class, like a max of ten points of agility/intelligence/whatever? Or would we be allowed to just spend them however we wish once we get them?

I'm personally more partial to the latter, if only because of the slim chance someone will join, spend all 40 or however many points on their wizard's magical strength, and then when a ninja pops up and chucks 50,000 shurikens on them and they have zilch in terms of physical strength and agility, they're boned. Heh.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer

Well, a Wizard's strength comes from high Intelligence and Wisdom *played DnD a time or two*, but yes, they usually have HORRIBLE physical stats. Because they're mortar cannons who shoots stuff from a distance.

If we DO go with a point system... Start with every base stat at 10

Strength
    Dexterity
    Constitution
    Wisdom
    Intelligence
    Charisma

When rolling a character, players usually have a chance of getting anywhere from 9 to 18 for a sertian stat (Roll 4 d6's, take the three highest, re-roll 1s and 2s). So give them an extra 20 points to spend on increasing stats. Based upon the class, this will help them round out their characters. A Rouge's gonna have higher Intel and Dex than a Cleric, who'll have higher Wisdom and Stamina (depending on the build and class)

If you want to keep it TPM themed... let's use the Individual Forums as a base for Classes: Fan Ficcer, Fan Artist, Role Player, ASBer, PCGer, ect...

Actually.. if I remeber right. There was a PKMN Trainer oriented game similar to this, where the DM put together the stats from rolling dice and then we could play the character according to our strengths. It was pretty fun though...
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Elite Trainer

Personally, I like stats like Charisma and Wisdom too, that way if you don't want to play a straightforward character, you can spice it up a bit. Charisma is good for like, Bard-type characters, and Wisdom is a different kind of magic. It's not amazingly fair to ONLY have one kind of magic - speaking as someone who really hates playing Wizards or Sorcerers, I'd personally like Wisdom to be put in, or something closer to it anyway. You know, the stat that things like Divine magic relies on. (Note: I mostly say this cos I bum Druids and anything to do with Druids. I would really hate to use a Druid that had to use Wizardy magic. *shudders* That's just not right.)

And as for the Mario thing, what about the people who haven't played Mario? (like me, I've not played a single Mario game... but then, I generally dislike anything Nintendo except for my DS, so...) For the issue of races, it should be something more universal, that everyone has heard of. You know, elves and such. Although if we were gonna make up our own rules, then different races would be a nice place to start. Elves ARE cliché after all (I love 'em anyway!).

Perhaps we could use our own RPGs as a starting place for new races? Cos I know tons of people who invent their own for their RPGs, myself included. And I know that when I make a race, I generally put as much detail into them as I possibly can. I think that'd make for a nice, original D&D style game that's not overdone in any way.

EDIT: DAMN Mew Master got there before me. But *cough* Wizards don't use Wisdom... they use Intelligence... ¬_¬ Wisdom is for Paladins and Druids and the like, not Sorcerers and Wizards.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Mew Master View Post
    Well, a Wizard's strength comes from high Intelligence and Wisdom *played DnD a time or two*, but yes, they usually have HORRIBLE physical stats. Because they're mortar cannons who shoots stuff from a distance.

Strength
    Dexterity
    Constitution
    Wisdom
    Intelligence
    Charisma

When rolling a character, players usually have a chance of getting anywhere from 9 to 18 for a sertian stat (Roll 4 d6's, take the three highest, re-roll 1s and 2s). So give them an extra 20 points to spend on increasing stats. Based upon the class, this will help them round out their characters. A Rouge's gonna have higher Intel and Dex than a Cleric, who'll have higher Wisdom and Stamina (depending on the build and class)

If you want to keep it TPM themed... let's use the Individual Forums as a base for Classes: Fan Ficcer, Fan Artist, Role Player, ASBer, PCGer, ect...

What?

I have no clue what the Hell you just said. I thought we were gonna make our own original dice RPG, not take D&D's crazy jargon and formula and put a TPM spin on it. If the latter is what we're doing, count me out.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Mew Master View Post

On thinking about it, I have a problem with starting every base stat at 10. It would really hinder creativity! What if you wanted to make a Bard who was really REALLY bad at everything but his singing and his charisma? If it was me, I'd have Strength, Constitution, everything but Charisma and Intelligence at lower than 10, (although actually, do you need Wis for Bard's songs? Can't remember...)

Yes, so I don't think we should start stats at a certain amount. Let people decide what they want for themselves.

And Blade has a point here. D&D is a bugger for anyone who's not seen a core rulebook (and even for those who have, but not in a long time - like me).

Intelligence - well, this one is straightforward. A wizardy type class needs to have high Intelligence (or Int.) to be able to cast their spells.
    Strength - self-explanatory (Str.). Strong man = good fighter. Low strength = pussy.
    Charisma - does your character like to bluff their way through life? Cha. is your stat. Great for Bards and party leaders.
    Wisdom - how wise are you? Druids, Clerics, Paladins, etc. For whoever relies on the gods for their magic, rather than spellbooks, etc. (Wis.)
    Dexterity - good with weapons? Rangers and shiz need TONS of Dex. Otherwise they just drop their bows and chop off their own feet. ROGUES *points to proper spelling* too, I do believe.
    Constitution - how well you can, well, survive a smack in the face. High Con. = hard bastards. Low Con. = wizards and their ilk. Namby pamby buggers.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Elite Trainer

Awww! Look how this is eveloving ^___^ And yes, it was just an idea, though you should get some Mario games.

Herald, I'm noticing a lack of Fawful from you -.-

...while you sleep.

Elite Trainer

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure about the points system, since it has the potential to make characters either greatly overpowered (both of Mew Master's models) or underpowered (Blademaster's model). I would still prefer the dice system since it adds a bit of chance and still has the potential to give you a balanced character.

Hmm, actually creating a world based on TPM would seem interesting. Due the numerous amounts of genres we have, we could incorperate almsot anything (giant robot battles for you Blademaster ^_^). We could try to expand on your idea for classes Mew Master.

Hmm, taking races from our RPGs. interesting. It would add to the tpm theme, plus making thinking of races easier.

hmmm, I've got a small idea on what we could add. correct me if I'm wrong, but in regular DnD, a character leveled up after completing a campaign right? Well, I was thinking that each monster gives you a bit of exp and after getting a certain amount, the character levels up, just like pokemon! XD

Blademaster is now LV3

Blademaster is evolving!

Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe encorperating an evolution system or something? *shrugs* maybe different levels in classes.

Master Trainer

Actually a character gained EXP depending on what happened during the session (sitting down and gaming for a few hours). When they hit their regular cap they hit their next level. Not unlike in PKMN or Platform RPGs excpet it's not always at the end of a battle. It's at the end of the session...
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Elite Trainer

Fair enough, but since this could be considered one long session, it would make sense to level them up when they reach the cap, not at the end of the session.

I've been thinking about that small joke I made in my last post. How does this idea sound.

Evolving classes.

When a character reaches a certain level of a particular class, that class recieves an upgrade of sorts, gaining them access to feat and skills they couldn't before, but in turn restricts them from others they could have before. These evolved classes could also alter the characters current stat modifiers.

Veteran Trainer

Does that mean my giant robot battles will have to wait until my guy levels up? I'm thinking of a character that's a Mechanic (Yes, I made that Class/Race up. So sue me.)... Is he gonna have to start out not knowing how to fix my toaster and build up to giant mechas or something?

(looks up how big a robot has to be in order to be considered a 'mecha')

Also, DnD has maps, right? What's our... um... location (I guess) gonna be? Some weird Middle Earth-type place that doesn't exist, or a real country/state/island/whatever? The latter would be pretty entertaining... Running across random groups of 'monsters' (like Mexicans) and kicking their asses for EXP. It'll be like Risk: Pokemon Edition.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Elite Trainer

Well, if we do have a class like mechanic, he/she would probably start off with a fair bit of mechanical knowledge (reprograming turret guns to shoot the other guy) but yeah, I think it would be best to save the mechs until a certain level (or in events that actually require them).

As for the location, well, Mew Master's TPM idea did give me a small idea. Maybe some of the major cities could be named after the different parts of the forums, such as fanfictia, anstyba (ANime STYle Battling), Roplaga (ROle PLAying Games), etc. But we'll worry a bit about locations a little later.

Oh, and Blade. I think I speak for every guy here when I say your sig is very painful to look at.

Veteran Trainer

Then I have done my job.

LOOK AT IT, YOU WIMPS!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer

GAH! IT BUUUUURNS!
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

If you want a dice roller program, here's one that keeps a record of each player/character's rolls:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Rolls.html

And here you can see a sample roll and a form to view all rolls by a certain character.
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 4th May 2008 at 09:50 AM.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I reckon there should be at least 3 different DMs, therefore at least one should be online once per day, otherwise it will suck if we're all waiting for one DM to roll the dice and his internet is dead or he happens to be especially lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post
    If you want a dice roller program, here's one that keeps a record of each player/character's rolls:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Rolls.html

And here you can see a sample roll and a form to view all rolls by a certain character.
    If we implement a multi-DM system, I suppose I could be one, since I'm here so often. That link looks easy to use, too.

If someone can just tell me what a 'Modifier' is, I think I'd be able to handle the dice records just fine.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

It's a bonus that some rolls get (it may be negative too). It's used when, for some reason, you need to add something to the result of the roll.

For example, if you're using a magical object that improves your accuracy, you may have to add something to the result of your hitting roll. While, if carrying a heavy load, you may have to substract something (that would be a negative modifier) to the result of your running roll.

Note that with this site the players themselves can roll the dice, as long as they know what it is they have to roll. Since there site keeps a record of all the rolls by each character, they wouldn't be able to lie about the results.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Elite Trainer

Hmm, with this system, we could even let the DM have a character as well, since they can't lie about it as well (during my latest DnD session, the DM also had a character, a little halfling whom I wanted to kick)

Elite Trainer

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone else have any ideas? Probably for setting or classes or such?

why wub woo Moderator

Well, some people have vested an interest in it being set in the forums, whereas others have suggested classic DnD (i.e. dungeons, elves, magic etc) whereas some others have suggested future settings (robots, ninjas, mechas etc.). So I guess if you're the progenitor of the DnD, you could either choose the setting yourself, or make a poll for the ideas, or, my personal favourite, everyone posts a particular idea and setting, with a detailed background and class-list, and then make a new topic polling what the DnD should be.