Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *~ RPG Forum Conference ~*

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: *~ RPG Forum Conference ~*

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Karrde View Post
    Looking back at the last 100 Days.

ASBRPG, RPG TCG, Pokemon School, World of Heroes, Anime Wars, Gunslinger Pokemon, One Breath from Immortality.
    Hmm. I stand corrected.

I know you do not like me Blademaster, but lets keep from spreading outright lies around here okay?
    I don't dislike you. I think other people would be better Mods of RPG than you. There's a pretty big, obvious difference.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

:3 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Alright, Blade, Roy, if you have any qualms further or "discussion" further then please keep it to PM. I'm putting out this fire before it starts... er... gets bigger.

As for the Idea topic, personally making two individual topics for requests and for ideas IS being structured. I fail to see how it isn't.

Also, while I don't mind having a list of RPers who would respond back to ideas and a timeline... I just feel that if you don't have at least one set person who WOULD respond, then eventually it'll fall to being not responded to. Plus a timeline is a little, pointless- if not everyone has to respond and they're busy and the timeline isup in say, five days, then they most likely would shrug it off and not bother to post at all.

I'm still leaning a bit towards my idea, it guarenteeing one person would respond (and you can pick which person you'd like to respond) while also allowing anyone else to provide feedback as well (for brownie points!). We could say that if that person would like more feedback after the first person, they could request from another from the "list" and what-not.

Revamping the Ideas topic is good... no matter how we do it. I just want to note, that this may or may not increase activity slightly. The problem doesn't seem to be the ideas as much as it is getting past, as most of have said, the first initial start of an RPG.

Oh and Dark, I've already decided to start an RPG just as you have mentioned. I see it a lot in other RPG forums. :3
    [Please Send Tell]
    Video Games, Life, and the Random Objects You Trip Over

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur4 View Post

Alright, Blade, Roy, if you have any qualms further or "discussion" further then please keep it to PM. I'm putting out this fire before it starts... er... gets bigger.
    Bah Kalah! I already told you over AIM I wasnt going to respond to it ^_^ I didnt want to have any more arguments in the RPG Forum. Blade is entitled to his opinion and thats fine, I dont have a problem with that.

Anyway firePokemon does bring up a point in that RPGs are a dying breed in many boards, just not here. I would love to bring out some old hits here, I know some people have fond memories of those old RPGs and would never want to have that memory tarnished. But we had alot of old goodies that could be used again such as Mewtations or Eeveeolutions. Of course Mewtations would only be useable if Vulpix made it, she was the heart and soul of that RPG.

Edit: Although I would fear that Vulpix led Mewtations now days would lead to a Man Pile! * shudders and curls up into a ball *

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

It's also up for the Forum to decide as a whole, and it is a bit more structured and flowing than the current system of "post an idea, hope it gets feedback." I say we let everyone else put in their two cents worth and imput before we finally decide on something.

And on activity levels...

I have noticed a disturbing trend in TPM levels over the last few years. And no, re-vamping the IDea Topic isn't a cure all. It's a symptom, not the source. However my views on WHY activity levels are constantly dropping over time is for another topic, not this one.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

*pops in* Hello all. Yes, I've been absent off the face of the earth for most of the summer. This is because working 9-6 shifts 5 days a week is very tiring, I have impending dissertation work and have hardly been at home to use my internet between going to see friends on the other side of the country and having to be a bridesmaid for my mum's cousin. However, every time I COULD get access, the first place I came was RPG, so I'd prefer it if I wasn't dismissed as doing nothing. There simply wasn't anything to do for the ten minutes or so whenever I came online.

Now that's out of the way;

I like the thought of revamping the Ideas Topic, but I'm not sure how much interest that'll generate in the board overall. It WILL, however, be more of an incentive for people to get their ideas out there. I also like the idea of being able to choose someone from a list of people to go over your idea. Say, if you've decided to do a sci-fi RPG, and someone on the list has that as one of their specialities, then you can request their help as someone who's used to the genre, or whatever.

If people find clichéd RPGs to be a problem, the solution is simple. Make your own, non-cliché RPGs. Bam! (And cliché though they are, I have SUCH a hankering to do a Pokemon school type RPG it's untrue. Here's where I'm cursing my lack of time all damn Summer!)

As for the Newsletter, it's a great idea. I know we've started it up again in the past and it's sort of petered out, but there's no reason why it should have. I'm gonna steal an idea from Fanfic here and suggest that each month, a different mod does the Newsletter. That way, all the pressure's not on one person, who may be busy at the time when it needs to be written, etc. We should rotate, but be flexible. That way, if whoever's turn it is happens to be busy or unable to do the Newsletter, one of the other mods could just take over for that month.
    Emphasis should be on member participation, however. A few articles from the mods on whatever topics come to mind, or are relevant for that time, but the rest things sent in by RPers. Rants? Sure! Why not? A complicated article on the exact way to role-play certain types of characters? Sounds awesome!

For the moment, I have to go. But no doubt I'll be back at some point, time permitting.

ps: Vulpix won't come back to do Mewtations. So sorry, Roy.

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Master Trainer

Just because I haven't seen you online for a few months... *waves* HI Weasie!
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel Overlord View Post
    ps: Vulpix won't come back to do Mewtations. So sorry, Roy.
    I just died a little inside... My God that was a awesome RPG, its sad that of all the original Mewtations I am the only one left * Sniffles and walks off *

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

I had a thought that instead of keeping RPG ideas into one topic, couldn't you simply have seperate topics for each person's ideas? I mean, sure, keeping it all in one topic would be tidier, but spreading it out means that ideas that may have been overlooked have a slight chance of getting more comments. Plus, that way it doesn't get moved to the back of someone's mind once another person has posted their idea, regardless whether it's a more popular/interesting idea or not.

*hopes that made sense*

In general, I've sort of had a lack of motivation... I know it's no excuse, but I think I formed some kind of little group in my head members that I had got to know and therefore felt comfortable RPing with them. The only person I actually regularly talk to (pretty much every day) would be Tony. I think there needs to be some more imformalities, such as a random RPG chatroom on AIM, that doesn't nessisarily focus on the RPGs, just so we can get to know the other players better :3

I realise that would be quite hard, especially for those of us not living in America... But I think it might help! (I added Ryan on AIM a full month before I actually had the courage to talk to him! That is how pathetic I am when it comes to talking to new people XD)

Just a few suggestions...

Oh, and I have no real excuse for being inactive... I have had free time over the summer between work and socialness... I hope I find an RPG to stick to soon, or perhaps to come up with my own :3

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

The real Shonta Moderator

As for the Newsletter, it's a great idea. I know we've started it up again in the past and it's sort of petered out, but there's no reason why it should have. I'm gonna steal an idea from Fanfic here and suggest that each month, a different mod does the Newsletter. That way, all the pressure's not on one person, who may be busy at the time when it needs to be written, etc. We should rotate, but be flexible. That way, if whoever's turn it is happens to be busy or unable to do the Newsletter, one of the other mods could just take over for that month.
    Emphasis should be on member participation, however. A few articles from the mods on whatever topics come to mind, or are relevant for that time, but the rest things sent in by RPers. Rants? Sure! Why not? A complicated article on the exact way to role-play certain types of characters? Sounds awesome!
    Isn't that how the Fanfic E-Zine's like? The mods don't have to do much outside of the articles they choose to do. Everyone sends articles to the mod that puts it together and sends it in.

Which brings me to a suggestion stolen from Fanfic that should probably be in the Invitation thread. Every month someone interviews a RPG member.

(And cliché though they are, I have SUCH a hankering to do a Pokemon school type RPG it's untrue. Here's where I'm cursing my lack of time all damn Summer!)
    I think it's been tried a few times. But I'll store it in my Ideas to Try list.

I had a thought that instead of keeping RPG ideas into one topic, couldn't you simply have seperate topics for each person's ideas? I mean, sure, keeping it all in one topic would be tidier, but spreading it out means that ideas that may have been overlooked have a slight chance of getting more comments. Plus, that way it doesn't get moved to the back of someone's mind once another person has posted their idea, regardless whether it's a more popular/interesting idea or not.
    But if little to no people have interest in the idea then it still just lies there. Maybe have the basic ideas in one thread and then make a separate thread once the member has developed that idea.
    Last edited by classy_cat18; 7th September 2008 at 03:54 PM.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Master Trainer

Actually, Heald and were talking about such a thing, and I'd like to impliment an RPG of the month, and a Member of the month including an interview...

Dunna worry.. we're thinkin' bout stuff.. ^^U
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

*pops in* Hello all. Yes, I've been absent off the face of the earth for most of the summer. This is because working 9-6 shifts 5 days a week is very tiring, I have impending dissertation work and have hardly been at home to use my internet between going to see friends on the other side of the country and having to be a bridesmaid for my mum's cousin. However, every time I COULD get access, the first place I came was RPG, so I'd prefer it if I wasn't dismissed as doing nothing. There simply wasn't anything to do for the ten minutes or so whenever I came online.
    Ha! I was right! Ten points for Shonta!
    Random Quote:

BU-KA-DING!!! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well, I guess it's my turn... I've made a list of what I feel are all the topics that have been brought up in this conference, whether minor or major:

General topics brought up:
    *Motivation/Commitment/Initiative
    Forum Size
    *RPG Idea Thread
    Player Etiquette
    *RPG Newsletter
    Member Ratings
    *Forum Direction
    Art
    RPG Post Length
    *Genre/Cliches
    *RP Methods/Styles
    Sign-Up Topics
    *Efficient vs. Effective
    Old Classics
    AIM Chatroom

RPG Idea topics:
    Direction/Structure
    Feedback
    Reviewer Feedback List
    Genre Requests

RPG Newsletter topics:
    Member Articles
    Newsletter Honors/Highlights

Things I asterisked in the first list are things that were decently discussed by ther earlier and ones I plan to give some attention to myself, but I plan to touch on each topic here at least a tiny bit.

First off, I'm going to bluntly state that, while I like to think of myself as being generally optimistic, I'm going to take a rather pessimistic POV as I talk. Just a forewarning...

Now, let's start with THE top issue that this forum faces: Motivation and Initiative problems. I will openly admit, right from the start, that I quite often lack this myself. But it's not just me. I know people out there have reasons to be away from the forum... We're all busy. We each have lives and problems to live through... More times than not, though, people just don't post because they have no urge to and no reason to devote any commitment to the game. I've caught a large number of the current RPers on messenger handles, meaning they have free time, but RPGs are usually the last thing on their mind for whatever reason. This is the largest hump for this forum to overcome should it ever hope to prosper even a bit more again. But this is something that, for the most part, can only be overcome individually.

Of course, the forum size plays into this a bit. Low numbers means fewer RPGs, people getting sick of RPing with the same unmotivated/uncommitted people. There's not much we can do to fix this, but it does cause a problem when the same person or people are constantly hounding over you. (Again, something I can be known for when frustrated with activity).

As for the RPG Idea thread... I absolutely agree that it needs a total makeover. I, myself, haven't actually looked at it in over a year because the last few RPGs to come out of weren't interesting enough to me. Admittedly, a lame excuse, but it's true. Truely, I think giving the Idea Topic another purpose will attract more people to it: Genre Requesting and Reviewer Feedback. Variety and responsibility are helpful tools for inviting more peple in.

This brings up a constant problem with any community, such as this, where people interact in a fluid environment: the conflict of Efficient versus Effective. A working system must have a balance between the two. Currently, I don't think we have either. Some things are efficient but not effective, and others are just the opposite, requiring large-scale reformation to solve the problem. Honestly, we're at a point of crashing anyway; we may as well accept the inevitable, let it crash, and rebuild from the ashes in a much more structured, stronger civilization that can expand (one major reason why I would prefer to avoid bringing back 'old favorites.' It's merely an attempt to sidestep the inevitable).

Once process brought up that pertains to the E v. E problem is the Sign-Up thread. In normal styles for this board (in reference to DLs comments), the sign-up topic is a sort of bridge between the introduction of the RPG and the actually start. Even in a case where people introduce and start an RPG in a single topic, sign-ups are still standard to introduce yourself into the story. The only difference between that style and the Sign-up thread style is that all the initial RPers are introduced prior to the start in a separate topic. While not extremely efficient, it IS effective, while introduction and beginning at the same time is efficient, but nowhere near as effective.

Back to the RPG Idea Topic, getting direction and structure here is necessary to help it work again. Feedback can be attained for those that are introducing some ideas with the idea of a Reviewer Feedback list. As Kalah said, this guarantees that if you post an RPG idea, you will get at least ONE response to it. Having a list of volunteer reviewers gives that opportunity, along possibly bringing more attention by other people, espeically in rebuttle to a review. At this point, if the idea needs more expansion and has a group willing to provide assistance and further critiquing, a separate topic can be created in the lounge to do so, as mentioned by Becki and Shonta.

In association with this, much to Kalah's dismay, I agree that a Genre Request section would be best added in here rather than in a separate topic. It is an RPG IDEA topic, meaning its not just restricted to ideas people have already developed, but to give creators an idea of what others want. But I do have a suggestion in order to keep these separate, in a sense: post linking. In the first post, have a list with links to the most current RPG Ideas (maybe the 4 or 5 most recent), as well as a link to the most current RPG Genre requests (again, the top 3 or 4). There could also be a list of RPG Ideas that need attending to by reviewers, which will not only keep them up to date on what needs attention, but will also draw the attention of other readers as to which RPGs are the most recent.

Next is the RPG Newsletter. Going to the main RPG page shows that there's already some initiative taking place with this. That's wonderful! I'm glad to see some members trying to become active. I agree wholeheartedly that member and mod articles would be greatly helpful in boosting the morale of the forums. Discussions on what's popular, favorites, RPing styles and workshops, gripes and groans... Just about anything that others would be interested in reading. Especially if the writers are including things such as honors and highlights about other RPers and their RPGs (Member of the Month, RPG Highlights, etc). Not exactly a field that interests me, but it's worth bringing back for those that enjoy community information sources like this.

As a few final notes before I work into the actual RPGs themselves, I'd like to say that I'm glad the Member Rating topic is gone. As Heald said, while the idea was great, and I was rather for it and excited, it was never really implicated and, even if it had, wouldn't have affected much of anything. I'm also all for artwork made for RPGs. I often sketch up things for my RPGs and stories to help illustrate things better. Maps, group pics, fanart, music association... All of it is great advertisement and development for the RPG experience as a whole. As for the AIM chat sort of thing. This would be quite possible. I think more than 3/4 of the people who have posted in this topic already have AIM or availability to it, especially with sites like Meebo out now (which don't require someone to DL a messenger program in order to use their handle). I know there used to be one for the whole forum (ummmm or something like that), but we can always make one specifically for the RPG forum. All it takes is a chatroom name...

Next, I wanna work into the actual RPGs themselves. One of the big suggestions earlier was changing style in which we RP. While I prefer the progressive-story style we typically use now, I have no problem if people want to experiment with different methods and styles of their own. In fact, I would encourage people to, but I wouldn't say that it needs to be a forum-wide rule. I'm sure there are others like me who like and prefer our current style, so I'd still like that style to be available, but it doesn't mean others should hold back.

Another style issue that was a short center for discussion was post length. Admittedly, there are people like me who actually LIKE writing and reading posts that are 2 or 3, maybe 4 pages long in Word, as long as it goes somewhere (something I try to do with mine. Acceptable detail and exploration while still developing and pushing forward). As other have said, short posts tend to be a little lacking and can even force the RPG to move faster than desired, but there are times when shorter posts are understandable. Points when progression is necessary to move past a certain point where details aren't desired, but in my opinion, anything shorter than 2/3 of a Word page is too short. Not enough detail can be established and conveyed without at least 3 or 4 decent paragraphs. On average, a single post shouldn't be able to be read in any less than 2 minutes, but no more than 8 or 10... Moderation is key.

As for desired genres, people should feel more than welcome to start their own RPGs in the genres they are attracted to. I like the more magical/fantasy style RPGs myself, with sporatic battles scenes myself, but if that's not right for you, or I'm feeling different, you should be more than open to starting something which you feel attracted to at the time. Unfortunately, along with this are going to be cliches, much to your apparent hatred of them, Blade. Stereotypes and cliches are just that for a reason, because they set the standard for a genre. And honestly, in this day and age, originality has gone from "something completely new and never seen before" to "using old ideas in a novel way." You can't get away from cliches, but you can help avoid them. But sometimes, cliches are just what people want. As others have said, cliches are cliche because they are popular; a large amount of people can relate to it in one way or another. In general, its just something we all have to deal with, anywhere we go. The best thing I can tell you is to try making or looking for RPGs that are less stereotypical than others through themes used in different and novel ways.

As a final discussion point, I'd like to bring up MM's comment on RPer Etiquette. While I agree with others that the player-to-player interaction are rather positive and most people have respect for other's characters and style of gaming, I would like to point out that "Storyteller Pressure" is a rather large issue among RPers here; a couple in particular, myself included. But I think there's a bit of a reason for it, at least in my own case. With the decline of activity in the forum, RPGs are starting to focus more on smaller casts of people, and the person heading that group as the GM/ST/etc has a tendancy to drive their own character as the 'lead' character, with the other RPers acting as the major supporting characters. When activity was at its peak, there were so many people in a single RPG that it was near-impossible to make any single character a main one; everyone had their part and major plot arcs moved between them. Now, RPGs are more becoming personal fictions stories (or fanfics if it's based on something) that's slightly expanded to show the thoughts and experiences of some of the 'minor' characters along with the creators 'main' character. This makes people feel more left out, leaving the RPG. This, in turn, leads to the prodding "Hey, you! POST ALREADY!" messages and conversation, which eventually leads to the RPGs death. Unfortunately, this is one of the hardest problems to overcome because it not only deals with the forum's current size, but also with the RPers themselves.

Ok... *gasps for air* I've talked about a LOT of stuff here... Some you may agree with, others you may argue are completely wrong. Most of these I assume are rather blunt facts that some would prefer to deny (or it may not apply to you), while in other cases I'm probably completely wrong (though, I hope to think I know at least some of you well enough by now), but I think the next course of action in this discussion is to talk about this forum's future, not it's past. I'm more than willing to act as a secretary if people want to start brainstorming some general direction for this community to head towards. If we can get a plan that we can follow through with, we may just be able to restart what we have here.

[P.S. - It IS late night/early morning as I write/post this, so there's probably a number of spell/grammar errors throughout... I'll proofread it and edit anything horribly bad once I've gotten sleep! v.v;]
    Matataku Hoshi no Shita de
    Kono basho ga doko darou to miagereba matataku hoshi
    Sono shita de kimi wo omoeba warukunai yoru ni naru
    Fuan wo kazoeta yubi ni
    Nukumori ga tomoru

Shinjiru to iu kotoba wo kimi wa kodomoppoi to warau kai
    Miwatasu kagiri no kouya de yukusaki wo shimesu mono
    Mune ni daite aruitekou
    Sekai ga wazuka ni kagayaku

The bonds we have with those close to us keep us connected always...

Master Trainer

Nice points, I really don't have comments as of right now... due to the fact that there isn't much for me to say and I'm a little talked out for the moment.

However, I would like to point out (to those who have not noticed) that I have started the RPG News idea list and it WILL be run almost just as the E-zine now is. It will be run as it has in the past as well, since that worked very well and I very much agree with Weasel: the Newspaper will be run by a different moderator each month. I have taken the iniative to do it first, so hopefully Weas and Roy don't mind.

Anywho, I will wait a little while longer but I also would like to start the recruiting process for the Idea Topic soon. When you guys feel I should go ahead, let me know and I will march off!
    [Please Send Tell]

Veteran Trainer

There is NO way I'm reading all of that, Fai. Someone translate plz. I'll mail you a cookie if you do.

And not to sound like an ass, but considering the nature of your post, Weas, I feel it was addressed to me, and as such, I'm going to reply. Bluntly.

Your preference not to be 'dismissed' isn't up for consideration. 'Checking' RPG for ten minutes is something a regular member (like myself) does. Mods have more responsibility than that, and it doesn't just come in the form of enforcing rules. Examples:

In ASB, the Mods check, approve, and update the Towers consistently. They set up contests and gyms for variety. There are businesses to draw some extra attention (Even though they really don't anymore.).

In Fanfic, the Mods provide critique, write stories of their own, and show up quite often to settle minor squabbles that arise now and again in fics. They have biannual awards, a trivia game, and an e-zine.

Which brings me to the ultimate jack-ass part of this post: What do the RPG Mods do?

More days than not, nothing at all. And when they do show up, it's usually to post in a short-lived RPG. Only rarely does a new RPG CREATED by a Mod appear. Even less frequently do the Mods make a non-RPG topic that is relevant and/or successful. And even less frequently than THAT do the Mods make attempts to stimulate activity. RPG's are never given a push by the Mods. Ideas are often disbanded or discontinued for months at a time (like the RPG Awards), or permanently (RPG XMas Tree, anyone?). New ideas for RPG's, both in plot and setting, are needles in the proverbial haystack.

I know I'm retreading old ground here, but it's gotta be said: If RPG is to make a comeback, it has to change. And that is simply something the current Mods refuse to do, can't do, and/or don't know HOW to do. This topic alone is proof of that: Not a single idea has come from a Mod. Only agreements with ideas from the regular members like Denny, myself, and PLuver.

THAT is why statements like Weas's disapproval of being dismissed or Kalah's complaint that the Mods are blamed for everything and should be cut some slack make me shake my head. I know this post isn't gonna make you guys any happier, but I also know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've spoken with others about the state of this place, and most of us are thinking the same basic thing by now:

If the current staff isn't gonna make an effort, or just can't, then pass the damn baton already and let US take a stab at fixing this place. Because, as this topic is demonstrating, we're kinda doing that already.
    Last edited by Blademaster; 8th September 2008 at 06:23 AM.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Smoke and fire Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Wow you can type up a lot Fai. ^)^

Hmm not much to say but I'm gonna be active in the rpgs I'm currently in and have new posts in the ones I'm in within this week.

Whatever happened to the progression of the Dungeon and dragon thing?

Also there should be some type of RPG where one can come in at any time and participate and be signed up without having to invest in a lot of characters or making of monsters or anything. I'm guessing something more akin to a game as it were but something more in the RPG kind of way. I guess what I am saying is there needs to be some type of continuous RPG that doesn't require a lot of investment. But clearly can still be fun.
    Registered March 24th 2000

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Master Trainer

Fai D: I could hug you... Well spoken and pointed out with considerations and what-not. *applauds* However I have seen instances of Player Etiquette going down the crapper on the Boards in some RPGs. I think it's still a valid consideration...

Blademaster: Seriously... "Learn2Patience" dude [/jk] Either way...

I'll have to agree with Blade on a few points. However I have seen RPGs created by Mods, and some of them were fun to play in until player apathy and lethargy set in. Looking at Page 1, I see about 6 RPGs started (Sign-ups and Main Topic included) by the Moderators themselves, as opposed to the rest on the first page that are Member created.

If we do decide to try and save the Boards before it all burns to the ground (which I'm leaning towards Blade's suggestion of letting it crash, burn, then rebuild), we need to act NOW. We can't be sitting here twiddling our thumbs, and giving into petty squabbles. We need structure, we do. If you say we have it then you're lying to yourselves.

The RPG Newsletter is starting back up, and frankly I'm glad that it is. Heald and I suggested to have it back, and quite frankly, would have been willing to be in charge of the whole thing from the start. With select members from TPM who wanted to help on articles, but didn't know what to write about. Giving them ideas and topics they should write about, when they knew nothing else to write about.

The RPG Idea topic needs a staff of it's own as well. Because the general agreement, as I've gathered, is that it NEEDS to be torn apart and re-worked because it's ineffective and nothing gets done. Players are left to their own devices which may lead to RPGs that never get started or die quick, painful, deaths.

I would LOVE to see an RPG Art Topic, as I've done a lot of Art for RPGs I've participated in (old and new, Forum and Table Top) and would love to see as a separate from the Fan Art Forum. This isn't Fan art.. this is RPG ART! XD

I volunteer my time and energy (what I can spare) towards the three above things, because... well... they need the help/ideas/drive to get set up, with rules, but leaving it free-flowing enough to keep them in production for a while. I have some ideas for the RPG Art Topic... however I shall save those for the right time.

So if we hit the ground running... I wanna hit the finish-line without triping over ourselves because we forgot to tie our shoes. :/
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

*points* We made an Art topic ages ago, MM. See.

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Master Trainer

*points* We made an Art topic ages ago, MM. See.
    My mind.... You have betrayed me YET ONCE AGAIN! *forgets everything without a giant chalkboard to remind him of stuff...*

EDIT: BUT! Check the dates. Nothing's been added since Blademaster in 07.... Now.. I Draw... I just don't draw for THIS Forum's characters and what-not... BUt you guys can't tell me you haven't drawn any characters over the last year or so?

EDIT EDIT: ALSO! *just notices this after the fact* What about comments and suggestions for artists... the Art Topic needs that too...
    Last edited by Mew Master; 8th September 2008 at 09:48 AM.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Blade, seriously, this is supposed to be a topic talking about ideas that can HELP the RPG Forum, not trying to divide it again. Weasel and I may have our disagreements but she has done alot for this forum, and even being away for a little while isn't as bad as previous mods we have had in this forum and others. Getting a massive mod change isn't going to happen, it's hard enough already getting a new mod for Misc when a mod there hasn't posted since last year. And dismissing another mod's acheviements is really not going to get any of us anywhere.

So please, please lets stay on topic. When I get back from class in 4 hours, I'll propose some ideas of my own that could possibly help the forum. One of which I will throw out now. No matter what we do, we need more members to come in. You want to help the forum, you want to get more things active around here. Make a signature for TPM, put it in your signature for other forums. Talk to your friends and try to get them to come, talk to old TPM members and try to get them to come back. Seriously you can have all the ideas in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that we need more people to help make this place active again.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by firepokemon View Post
    Also there should be some type of RPG where one can come in at any time and participate and be signed up without having to invest in a lot of characters or making of monsters or anything. I'm guessing something more akin to a game as it were but something more in the RPG kind of way. I guess what I am saying is there needs to be some type of continuous RPG that doesn't require a lot of investment. But clearly can still be fun.
    I'm brewing up ideas for something like that. I dunno what happened to Ben's TPM D&D idea, but I've been toying with a turn-based RPG idea constructed similarly to older Final Fantasy games (since, y'know, the new ones are overcomplicated fanservice bullshit).

I'm gonna discuss it privately with Denny and a few others and see how it's received. It's not much more than a random sequence of ideas, but like the Asimovian ghost in the machine, that random sequence could just (but probably won't [but still might]) become something a lot more complex and advanced than a good number of RPG's we've seen.

Also, this isn't a problem with RPG, but rather just something that I'm curious about... Why is this place (and for that matter every other place on the Web like it) called 'RPG?' These things seem more like multi-author stories than games, if you ask me...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer

Fucking double-post. Just saw Roy's post.

Blade, seriously, this is supposed to be a topic talking about ideas that can HELP the RPG Forum, not trying to divide it again.
    In case you missed it in my last post, the forum is ALREADY divided: Right now, the RPG Mods are in full control of the forum. That's normal, yeah. But what ISN'T normal is that a good chunk of said forum is UNHAPPY with the way that you guys are running this sideshow. That's not something that I've SEEN on TPM's other sub-forums. There's obviously a problem here that isn't being rectified.

Getting a massive mod change isn't going to happen, it's hard enough already getting a new mod for Misc when a mod there hasn't posted since last year.
    Bollocks.

You need a new Misc. Mod? Pick someone that hangs around there a lot, posts a lot, and can keep people in line. You, me, mr_pikachu, Heald, firepokemon, and Magmar all come to mind. Within TEN SECONDS. 'Hard enough already' my ass.

Also, saying that getting a massive mod change 'isn't going to happen' is going to do nothing to better the situation when that change is the ROOT of at least FIVE different members' complaints.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'm not going to argue with you Blade, it isn't going to help this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    You need a new Misc. Mod? Pick someone that hangs around there a lot, posts a lot, and can keep people in line. You, me, mr_pikachu, Heald, firepokemon, and Magmar all come to mind. Within TEN SECONDS. 'Hard enough already' my ass.
    See I wasn't talking about trying to find some one competent, that was easy. The problem was getting the modding to take place. Normal Mods cannot select some one else to mod. Nor can Super Mods. Anyway I really do not want to get into this, it really is something that will only cause heated arguments and thats the last thing I want to see happen to this forum right now.

Master Trainer

I resign.
    [Please Send Tell]

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur4 View Post

I resign.
    No, your not. And this crap about the mod talk stops now. We're going to work on fixing this forum. Not throwing blame around. You guys wanna blame me? Thats fine. But Kalah and Weasel are the heart of this forum and I am getting sick and tired of them getting trashed. Any more flames in here, or cussing, and warnings start to go out. It keeps going and infractions get thrown out.

The hate being thrown around at Weasel and Kalah ends now.

Kalah is not resigning. We are not picking a new mod. We will fix this problem with the mods we have right now.
    Random Quote:

Laserlight Technomage Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

As far as I've ever noticed in any forum I've been in it's not the Mods job to throw happy awards and RPs while everyone down below gobbles them up like candy. It's their job to....moderate as it is. Make sure OOC topics are correctly restrained, make sure the forum rules are being followed.

What stops the members from boosting RPs with comments and observations or reviews? What stops the members from from making their OWN RP awards, I mean really who made it the moderator's jobs to judge the RPs in the first place? The ability to hand out awards and make topics and write in them is not some moderator privilage that we don't have access too. I mean I just don't get how having a new mod staff will let change happen....the mod powers aren't some magic wand that revives boards, all they can do is warn and ban and all that fun stuff really. If you want change to happen.....then make change happen, simple as that.

Instead of sitting around, asking why the moderators don't do something to revive the board, asking why they aren't coming up with ideas, asking why this or that isn't being done why don't we just stand up and do it ourselves? This isn't an the ASB where there are judges, this isn't the fanfic forum where you can do literary review. The RPG forum in its essence is one big game we all play and we just happen to have some people that make sure we all play nice for the most part.

And frankly, replacing moderators is going to do jack when the people who would replace them are part of the same inaction as before.

And PS: When the insults and cursing come out, results tend to call it a night and go home.
    Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 8th September 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Proud Member of the Ushi X Raizen Fanclub

My ASB Team
    *_The Medical Assassin of the A.R.C._*

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Blademaster, stop swearing and insulting. You may continue this discussion, but only if it doesn't turn into a flame war.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

A serious brain-f*** Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

First of all, Kalah there is no way you are going to resign and I swear that if you do then I will go over there and drag you back.

Ok time to throw in my two cents or whatever. There's a lot of talk going on about how it's the mods' responsibility to do this that and whatever but to be honest that's a load bull. You don't have to be a mod to invite people or to start RPGs. To be honest, a good forum succeeds because of the people who are in it, not because of the people who have been placed in charge. Now I've seen that a few people have already realised this and are making an effort and I implore you all but I do think that one thing we need to focus on is ways of getting new people to join the forum. Let's be honest, we need some fresh blood here.
    WANTED:

One signature.
    Experience preferred although training will be provided.
    Witty slogans only, please.

Imooto-deshi says:
    "BEEEE A ROUGE TOMATO"

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

'Checking' RPG for ten minutes is something a regular member (like myself) does. Mods have more responsibility than that, and it doesn't just come in the form of enforcing rules. Examples:

In ASB, the Mods check, approve, and update the Towers consistently. They set up contests and gyms for variety. There are businesses to draw some extra attention (Even though they really don't anymore.).

In Fanfic, the Mods provide critique, write stories of their own, and show up quite often to settle minor squabbles that arise now and again in fics. They have biannual awards, a trivia game, and an e-zine.

Which brings me to the ultimate jack-ass part of this post: What do the RPG Mods do?

More days than not, nothing at all.
    To be honest, I think that the RPG mods generally don't have as much to do as others... I don't mean that in an offensive way, but merely that we don't get that much trouble and the majority of people that post in here understand the rules and are respectful towards eachother.

You can't compare the modding of ASB, Fanfic and RPG to eachother. In ASB, you NEED the mods to edit the towers, approve pokemon, etc, because otherwise the whole structure would fall apart. But that's not all done by the mods either. If they had to do the reffings for every single battle, it would come to a standstill.

Fanfic is also different in the way that the mods can post reviews on any fanfic they please, but if an RPG mod were to randomly post in something they weren't involved in just to say "I liked ___ bit", or point out that some character interaction wasn't quite right, you wouldn't appreciate it.

I think the mods in RPG are doing a good job, there's no need to replace them. How you can say that they're not trying is beyond me, as Kalah started this topic and the Newsletter!

Only agreements with ideas from the regular members like Denny, myself, and PLuver.
    I'm flattered that you think i'm a regular member, although I can assure you this is the first time I've posted in atleast a month and a half
    Unless you mean regular in the sense that i'm not a mod, but whatever *shrugs*

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

Not-So-Cool Trainer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I like how Kalah isn't allowed to resign; I just think it's funny.

Personally, I think this topic has served a good purpose in getting tensions like this out into the open. Our worries, doubts, and fears about our dear RPG forum. Because we care about it and claim it as our own. I think everyone's trying to help out because of that bond; all the same, toes were bound to get stepped on in one way or another.

Maybe what we need to concentrate on are things we can control. Things we can't control would include fresh blood and people having lives. Things we can are the quality and variety of RPGs, RPG systems, characters, and posts we have. I've seen some really good arguments and suggestions and all of this talk of it has put renewed interest in this forum.

If we're going to help the forum, though, booting the mods we have now won't help. They are respected (at least from what I can tell) and it could create tense relations if they are readily booted. We could vote on or name an eventual successor or give more responsibilities to the lay-members of RPG. The thing with complete overhauls is that some things are lost in the process; therefore, I am in favor of change around here, but more gradually.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Then the world's alright,
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    Long as I'm singin' my song...
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I'm following MToolen here. Don't kick out what IS a stable part of the Forum.

Blade, I'ma hafta fire back at you with one scenario. If you were to kick all these guys out, and then elect new Mods, where and how would change come? As Roy and others stated, kicking anyone out won't help because then you are just decreasing the number of people posting here. Right now, you folks can't have that.

This is why they should stay, and they have got be an ever helpful driving force in the revitalization of this place. I can tell from your posts you care alot about this place Blade, but don't be so hasty as to feel they need to be removed. At the most, people do need a break.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with you though, maybe this all does need to crash and burn right now-and rebuild with everyone contributing rather than you Mods make it all and we go yesum and noum.

*sigh* Frankly, I'm new blood, and I'm trying to see if I can bring new blood to this board-much more this place. Alot of places need it but RPG is one thing in which most people can relate to, the sharing and exploration of imagination.

..and as for ASB...yeah I gotta go ref a few more battles mydamnself....

Oh and LOLOMG@ Fai's post. Yeah I read it. Long. Just long. To translate for you Blade "FIX FORUM OR I EET UR FACE" is basically what it said. Plzcanhascookynow? o_o?

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Oy vey.

Kalah, I step in line with everyone else saying that you're not allowed to resign. I know where you live, I have a car, and I don't have a job.

I think that we need communication more than anything. You guys know that I'm on MSN more often than God (srsly), and if I need to be on a different messenger as well, all you have to do is ask. I'm ready to get this shit moving.

I have some ideas floating around in my head, so if anyone else has the same... let's collaborate!

BWAHAHAHA COLLABORATORSSSS!!

[Annie] - Kurosakura says: Dru Dru, your RP's not rated M XD
    Drusie says: Oh fuck.
    Headbutting a car = not fun! says: It is now.
    -------------------------------

3DS Code: 5300-9721-4472
    Switch Code: 1866-7493-0014
    PoGo Code: 5716-4300-0144
    Steam: Jessyrah

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
    Oy vey.

Kalah, I step in line with everyone else saying that you're not allowed to resign. I know where you live, I have a car, and I don't have a job.
    Love your enthusiasm but she's in China right now. And that country's pretty big.

I propose a civilized AIM chat to help get non-newsletter ideas shared!
    Random Quote:

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

first of all nice intro Kalah, second of all your a grate Mod and should not let others get you down, and you really should not resign because of them.. ^_^

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Omg...this whole second page is probably the main reason RPG forum is dying.
    Yes, we are small, yes we are all older and have way busier lives. But when we have a scrap of free time and want to sit down and do something, ANYTHING to relax and unwind....do we seriously want to log on and read all this bullshit? No. When I want to relax I dont want to see:
    Blade vs Roy the sequal
    Argumnts about politics (US)
    Arguments about politics (world)
    Arguments about politics (RPG forum)
    Kalah talking about resigning (we know your not going to so dont try to bluff it around to make people stop fighting, its really only going to whip them into a frenzy ^-~)
    People whipping into a frenzy about a point that I cant even keep straight anymore
    People trying to solve a problem but then not knowing exactly what the problem is and going off on a tangent!!!!

NO! I dont want to read about all that shit and you know why? Cause I work full time and go to college. Cause I have a million papers to do during the course of the semester and then I also have to fit in time for my family, my bf, my new lil nephew, excercise, and in the midst of this busy sceduale Im supposed to be able to sit down and write something creative? Dont get me wrong I really miss RPing, its how me and Rudy met. But Im kinda getting the idea Im not the only one in the RPG forum that has such a busy life. Look at it, back when I joined the median age of the forums was probably 16, what was your biggest problem back then? Whos going out with who, doing homework on time and probably most people had a lot of free time to blow on the net. Remember weekends?? Remember when we had 2 whole back to back days to ourselves?! I can barely remember when I had 1 day to myself let alone two!!!

So the point of my rant? We are older, we are busier, we are SUPPOSEDLY more mature and responsible and grown up. So why arent I seeing it?? Bickering like were back in HS and forming up into useless cliques when really arent we all roleplayers? Arent we all here to blow off some steam and lose ourselves in a fantasy world for an hour or two? Dont we all just want to forget about our RL for awhile and relax and have fun with a group of like minded individuals? OMFG YES! Thats what Im here for anyway, so if you feel like me youll have to step up and be a man (or woman), lose that childish tendancy to form sides and have an "us against them" mentality. We are largely a group of adults so lets start acting like it, if you have a problem dont resort to petty arguments, dont resort to painfully obvious attempts to shock people into doing what you want them to do. Just talk about it.

And now that Im all good and riled up Ive got to get to my dance class >.<

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Okay well I wanted to make sure I stayed out of the topic until I was sure my presence wouldnt derail the topic again. I hope that is possible, and I hope Kalah and Weasel will come back, and that all of us can continue with out picking and yelling at eachother.

Anyway one thing I noticed is that with the lack of posting in RPG ideas, we have had alot of potential RPG makers, either not make their topic at all, or post it and no one find it interesting. Now granted some of these RPGs can be stinkers, God knows I have posted my own set of them. But I get that it isn't just me who has this problem or had this fear that no one will join. Now there are some truely great RPG creators on here, Kalah herself should go make movies or video games or something.

But for those that are not "Kalah level" I would suggest that some people sign up for them. It would provide for more RPGs in this forum as people get their confidence up so that they are not embarased. And overall it would help unify the forum and provide more activity.

Master Trainer

Oh geez, PLEASE let's not make me out to be a level of creativity. >.>;;; I'm not something to be revered when it comes to making RPGs and I have a crap load of horrible RPG ideas that never make it anywhere. *puts paper bag over head*

As for resigning, I was extremely serious about doing so and thought that perhaps that is what the majority of the forum wanted- not me to resign perhaps, but for some new blood and I wasn't about to let Roy or Weas take the fall. I've been around the longest and thus the oldest, thus if you wanted a revamp taking out the oldest should-eh, well that was how my train of thought was.

This topic for me, was to start nice discussions but I think I've started more of a "frenzy" as Asi put it, then anything. I am not resigning, because I've had the majority of the forum tell me via PM, AIM and such that they do not wish me to. If there comes a point in time when they do, I will more than happily step down so someone else can come to the plate swinging.

As for the forum, I have started the Newsletter along with a few new RPG ideas of my own. I was going to create the Idea topic sign-ups for the list of names, but if you'd like another member can simply put it in their own hands. Perhaps Mew Master? If that is alright with everyone else. Otherwise I will do it for myself.

I am putting this topic to a close fo rmyself, as I now have a better picture of where everyone's thoughts lie. (I am not closing the topic, merely meant to say that I no longer want/need to gather the picture.)
    [Please Send Tell]

Master Trainer

*sigh* In all honesty, Asilynne did something similar to what I was soooo tempted to do.

Yell at some select individuals for being selfish, do a net slap, and then leave the topic and TPM. But we all know I’d be back the day after… because I have nothing better to do during GIS Lab hours…

And quite frankly I’ve kept myself from posting on the second page for those reasons. Because I saw myself trying to be civil, but then breaking down and making myself look arrogant and an ass (those of you who know me can say I’m both.. because hell… you KNOW me…) because others were pissing me off.

*sigh*

Now that it seems to have calmed down… a bit, there’s still some anger flying between individuals, and that’s not going to get resolved here, only made into a big flame war that no one’s going to win, but the topic shall lose.

Bulba4: Of all the mods who the members (at least “I”) DON’T want to see resign, you’re one of them. Sides… you’ve been here FOR EVAR! You’re living history to the previous activity on the board! On the topic of the RPG idea topic… I would be more than willing to help it get structured and help out with what I could… So long as I have a crack(ed) team of other members willing to help with it… *goes to start Group, and send out invites to those he thinks qualify for it*

Roy: Bubla4 isn’t the only one who creates really good and stunning RPGs. Granted she does put a lot of work into the ones she does put on the boards (I should know, I’ve joined a few because they sparked my interest for characters). And as I tried to point out earlier. The reason no one posts in RPG ideas anymore is because no one is getting NEARLY enough feedback and input from other members. However by now it’s a mute point, as we all know it (just no one really admitted to it until now *shrugs*)

The fact is, the Forum needs new blood, we can’t deny that… however the current Confrence has calmed down a bit.. so now I’m not tempted to start yelling at everyone ^^U
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Mew Master I was hoping that no one would take my comment about Kalah as nothing more than a joke. I know there are alot of people that make great RPGs ^^ I just picked out Kalah. I didn't mean any disrespect and I hope that this clears up any confusion. I really didn't have enough time to name everyone, and besides I knew Kalah wouldn't like me singling her out and heaping praise onto her.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Mew Master View Post
    *sigh* In all honesty, Asilynne did something similar to what I was soooo tempted to do.

Yell at some select individuals for being selfish, do a net slap, and then leave the topic and TPM.
    XD I guess thats what I do...Im too honest...but you know Im not leaving the topic or TPM I just want to see it grow up a lil and not dissolve into pointless bicker. Which so far in this topic its a lil better now

Anyway I had an idea a long time ago to start a list of what you want to see in the RPG forum, so creators can get a census on what people want and make ideas based on that...Idk where it went but when I find it Ill post the link here if anyone wants to revive it in some way, or Ill revive it...just let me know if its still a good idea. As far as RPG ideas, I have 2 bouncing around in my head atm, I might make a poll to see which one people are most interested in (cause I dont have time for both at the same time ^-^())

EDIT: this thing lol http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15976
    Last edited by Asilynne; 10th September 2008 at 02:20 PM.

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.