View Poll Results: How should we set up website navigation?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sidebar

28 75.68%
  • Header bar

4 10.81%
  • Image with embedded links

2 5.41%
  • Pokemasters logo as acronym (i.e. "P" = PKMN Games, "O" = Other PKMN Games...)

3 8.11%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPM MAIN SITE REVIVAL PROJECT!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default TPM MAIN SITE REVIVAL PROJECT!

Yes, that's right. After careful consultation between me and some of the other moderators, we have decided to start a major project... to restore the main site of TPM!

Some of you may remember the old main page. For those of you who don't, it was filled with useful information from episode guides to Pokedex stats and everything in between. (Want a visual? Visit an archived version. Just beware of popups.)

We plan to bring it back and then add some additional flavor, including updates and spotlights for all the various subforums. From EV calculators to anime analysis, and from RPG reviews to ASB trainer spotlights, this site will have it all!

But we need your help to make it happen. We've made a tentative list of areas in which we'll need help with content and how much has been done so far with each item. It's provided at the bottom of this post. (Some things will be added to the list after the site is restored; we want to get the standard content done first and then build on that.)

And we're open to whatever suggestions you may have for the site. Have an idea for a new section? Let us know! Do you think we should shift our focus from what's been planned? This is your site, so give us all your input! Think you have something to contribute? Please, post here and tell us what you can do!

Also, we're currently working on the overall layout of the site. The current version of the web shell has a sidebar with links for navigation; other ideas have included a header bar, two sidebars (or a sidebar with links across from an empty sidebar), an image with embedded links (like a Pokeball split into wedges), or using each letter of the Pokemasters logo as a link. What do you think? Let us know by voting in the poll above and posting your thoughts here!

That's all for now. If you'd like to help us out, please let us know so we can send you the material that's been done so far. Many, many thanks to everyone who participates!

General Pokemon/Pokemon Anime
    Pokemon Background (partially complete)
    Character Guide (partially complete)
    Episode Summaries & Ratings (episode list completed, summaries/ratings tentative and yet to begin)
    Movie Summaries & Ratings (movie list completed, summaries/ratings tentative and yet to begin)

Video Games
    Diamond & Pearl (content has not been determined)
    Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (content has not yet been determined)
    FireRed and LeafGreen (content has not been determined)
    Gold, Silver, and Crystal (content has not yet been determined)
    Red, Blue, and Yellow (content has not yet been determined)
    Other Pokemon Games (content has not yet been determined)

Trading Card Game
    Rules (yet to begin)
    Set Lists (yet to begin)
    Deck Lists/Deck Ratings/Card Ratings (tentative, may not begin until site is established)

Miscellaneous
    Pokemasters Logo (yet to begin, Bulbasaur4 will help)
    Site Design (partially complete, mr_pikachu working, may need additional help)
    Possible Additional Content (do you have any suggestions?)
    General Editing/Critiquing (will begin once sections near completion)
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: TPM MAIN SITE REVIVAL PROJECT!

O.o Well hrm. This is a nice surprise.

For the Vid games section, of course a Pokedex is needed. That much is known. Dunno how you'd make it any different from the other Dex's out there... (make it downloadable like that one other place long long ago, GHPD I believe??} but that's a necessity for any Poke-related site.

Umm all the other standard content -pics/stats/moves/locations/movesets-all easily obtainable/createable. Meh. All ya really need is to just figure out the focus of that section and it'll fall together on its own.

All in all, was not expecting this, lol. Awesome, nonetheless

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

I agree with DarkestLight, in the videogame section, a new Pokedex would certainly be required. But, that could take a long time to set up alone (we'd have to go through every single Pokemon, with all the attacks they can learn from each game, basically), a picdex (showing pictures of all the Pokemon from all the generations and versions, remember, each Pokemon sprite changes from version to version) would also be great to see.

As for movesets, well, I know Psypokes has recommended movesets for the first 386 Pokemon, but they're mainly based on the advanced generation, and unfortunately, they haven't upgraded them with D/P/Plat Pokemon or D/P/Plat moves. Maybe someone who is a veteran of the new games should give recommended movesets for all the final form Pokemon, as well as the ones that aren't part of an evolution chain.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Smoke and fire Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sounds like a complete disaster. Don't even bother you lot will fail.

And you want it to look like that piece of shit? If you're gonna bother at least do it based off the 1999-2001 site. Not some horrible 2002/2003 piece of shit.
    Registered March 24th 2000

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by firepokemon View Post
    I go back to TPM's heydey and I see so much stuff from back then that is 100 times better than the majority of stuff that exists today. To me today is the perfect time for a site like TPM to return and it could be even better.
    Yes, this is the perfect time to revive the website, I agree.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer

I am curious about some things.

When did this idea exactly come up?

Has Kevin given permission?

Exactly what is going to differentiate this from other pokemon sites?

Why if you are going to bring the site back is the only content done so far is the anime?

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Good questions, all. Let me answer them in order....

1. The idea has been intermittent. I started this particular instance myself over a year ago; it was brought up for discussion, but other business overtook it. Eventually we approached the issue again, and the staff as a whole got on board earlier this year.

2. Why, yes. Yes he has. ^_^

3. Much of that depends on what everyone here wants this site to be. Kevin had an idea, for instance, of an automatic "Pokemon team creator" for sigs and such. Other ideas have included member blogs, integration with the forums (announcements, for instance), as well as just having better, more comprehensive content than our competitors. But again, it's largely up to you. How do you want it to be different?

4. That's the only content done so far because I'm not an expert on everything, and the only reason I did that much was to prove that the website wouldn't overwhelm our website. (It won't, if you were wondering.)

We haven't done anything more, simply because we want everyone here to be involved from the development process onward. I'm really trying to drive home this point: this is not the moderators' website. This is your website. Make it into what you want it to be, and other people will realize it's what they want as well.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

TPM is coming back!?

HOLY SHIT!

Count me in! However I can help bring this place back, just tell me. I want this place to stay alive. It's my home.

How can I help out?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Master Trainer

Hmm well I certainly have suggestions or things I would consider doing with relevance to the games and such. I won't share them now and I'm not sure about this project. I would love to see TPM return but I really don't want to see another average and rather pathetic pokemon site on the internet.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    Count me in! However I can help bring this place back, just tell me. I want this place to stay alive. It's my home.

How can I help out?
    That depends. What do you want to contribute?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I'm down for Member blogs. As a rabid ASB'er, I'm sure I could throw some fun insight up there.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post
    That depends. What do you want to contribute?
    Well... I dunno what I can contribute...

I'm a video game reviewer for an online magazine. Mostly retro stuff and second looks at things that most people deem to be either 'good' or 'bad.' I also used to review YGO cards at Pojo.com.

If that could somehow be translated into Pokemon terms, I could push my uninformed, biased opinions onto the site... or something...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Hey, whatever you have to offer. TCG mostly deals with YGO stuff now anyway, and general video game knowledge would probably be good if we decide to do a section on that.

What does everyone else think about branching out to such areas? Chime in!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

:3 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'll do anything art-related, RPG-related or ... creativity... related?

*sagenod*
    [Please Send Tell]
    Video Games, Life, and the Random Objects You Trip Over

Veteran Trainer

Hey, whatever you have to offer. TCG mostly deals with YGO stuff now anyway, and general video game knowledge would probably be good if we decide to do a section on that.

What does everyone else think about branching out to such areas? Chime in!
    That's my section. Video games are my specialty. If there's a video game section, including or excluding the Pokemon games, put me there.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Kalah: Excellent. I think we've already got you listed for working on the logo; we could probably use some aesthetic help for the site design, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    That's my section. Video games are my specialty. If there's a video game section, including or excluding the Pokemon games, put me there.
    Hey, the last time I checked there were six prospective sections for Pokemon games.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Sounds good. My gut feeling still says that to differentiate ourselves from other Pokemon sites, we should at least include, if not focus on, what TPM is best at -- Fanfic, Fanart, ASB, RPG. But as those are more forum-based things, I'm not sure how they'd be included.
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Well, to sort of tie in some of our preliminary discussions, one of my ideas was to integrate it with the proposed member blogs. That is, individual members could all have their own blogs, and any forum that wanted one could use it for announcements, important long-term information, and so forth. It would be the go-to place to visit for hot information across the forum.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hmm well I certainly have suggestions or things I would consider doing with relevance to the games and such. I won't share them now and I'm not sure about this project. I would love to see TPM return but I really don't want to see another average and rather pathetic pokemon site on the internet.
    No worries, Firepokemon. If you hadn't realized this project is painfully thought out and planned in details, besides it is the main ingredient that kept us being at disadvantage compared to other main pokemon sites like Serebi and Bulba Gardens. I can personally assured you that whatever ideas that came across in our tables will not be forgotten. Besides Brian had already gave his word that this project will not be handled from a top-down vertical approach, whereby a few people from the top giving orders to people below. Instead in its place, it will be a more horizontal approach whereby everyone is seen as equal and be able to contribute their fair share of inputs into this project.

@Brian ~ I would personally go for what Ada had mentioned. We should treat what features that we had that have similarities with other pokemon sites as a norm, and differentiate ourselves using what we are best at. That would mean your RPG, Fanfic, PCG and ASB.

Also from your below inputs, I would sadly say that there is nothing I could contribute to. In the past, I would played Duel Monster aka YGO and could be used to input some tips on effective buildings. However the ban list and rules had been changed much, so my knowledge would be irrelevant since I had quit the game some one year ago. From the way I looked at it realistically, the only sections that I could contribute in would be

1) Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

The second last pokemon game that I had played recently. It could use a few trainer tips. Oh well if you are looking for someone to write a walkthrough, I could do it but you have to wait until November 5th for it to be started. *I have ...erm ... coughs... exams....*

2) Other Pokemon Games

For this section, I would say nothing else I could input here except for the game, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon- Explorer of Darkness. I am still playing the game so do not expect any review of it soon. It also might take a bit of time since I am a slow gamer. You might want to look at other people's review if you are unable to wait. ^.^

3) Possible Additional Content/ Members' Blog

I heard someone mentioned blog here. It is a hell of a good idea but you will have to be careful here. We are talking about Pokemasters not some XXX's web blog. The problem of blogs is that will the individual owner be happy if the person in charge would be to vet his/her blogs as to what is relevant and remove those irrelevant ones?

Also like what say about this, Brian. Do take this suggestion into consideration as discussed earlier. It has nothing to do with shameless advertising for OA but I think this will help out as in the quality and number of 'fun' we can inject into the new site. Also know that Kalah is in China, so she might have something to add in here. It would be fun for fellow TPMers to read about the holiday and adventure of their comrades in other countries. ^.^

Well, there is nothing that I could further offer to the site now, unless of course you decide to throw in an 'Other Anime' category.

Cloyster Moderator

Cool, I remember TPM's heyday. Back then it was the pokemon site for me and I'd love to have it back.

One thing that was memorable for me was the GS countdown back in 2001. I can't think of any other pokemon site that has something like that right now, so that would be one cool thing to have. I happen to have a countdown script that I wrote, I'll be glad to contribute that. With a little modification, it should be able to support multiple countdowns on one page.

I also have some icons that I made for a fake website that I made a few years ago when I was playing around with HTML. They include things like the pokedexes from the first 3 generations (separate icons for each one, both opened and closed) and small 16x16 icons representing each version's cart. I'll have to dig those up. If anyone's interested I'll post some samples of those and maybe we can see if we can use them for anything. Come to think of it, my fake site had some pretty interesting ideas, I'll have take a look at it. Once my brain really gets going I should be back with some more ideas.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Dark: Yeah, I sort of agree with Ada on that too. My personal opinion is that we still can't really afford to pass on some of the more traditional stuff, or else it'll be hard to get new members, but using our core strengths to differentiate ourselves sounded good to me before. What does everyone else think?

(The phrase "What does everyone else think?" will probably become very common in my posts here.)

You make a very good point about blogs that we'll have to consider at some point. Personally, I'm for minimal restrictions there as long as we stay away from XXX territory, but that's something we may need to work out. And if we end up scrapping the blog idea entirely, then so be it.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention your idea, as it's what reminded me of my blog thought in the first place. One of the things we've been thinking about for the site is a sort of "TPMers abroad" section, particularly since Dark will be visiting Japan in December. So... yeah. I'll let you explain your thoughts on that further if you like, Dark.

Jeff: Wow, that sounds awesome! So, just to confirm... do you want to become a contributor?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Cool, say Brian if the site is coming back dose that mean the Reports and Editorials well come back as well? Because if they do we should call the Mastery 104.

~Charles Legend

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

That depends on what everyone else wants. What do you all think?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dark: Yeah, I sort of agree with Ada on that too. My personal opinion is that we still can't really afford to pass on some of the more traditional stuff, or else it'll be hard to get new members, but using our core strengths to differentiate ourselves sounded good to me before.
    You make it sound so much like what my lecturer from Strategic Marketing would say. 'Building on the company's core competencies and achieving a strategic competitive advantage over your competitors.' is the sentence that he had mentioned like thousands of time. It is still even ringing behind the back of my ears.

However as much as I believed, instead of using a differentiation strategy, we could even evolved further by considering a preemptive move using a first-mover advantage strategy. In the first place when we think of this, why would people still visit our site when we have the same features and facilities as those of other veteran sites? Instead I am actually believing that we should more on downplaying the traditional features and focus more towards catering to a totally different need by emphasizing on our strengths on RPG, ASB and Fanfic.

Although it does involved some risks since we have not really research if the general public's opinion, but nevertheless my suggestion would probably prompted some serious discussions and thinking.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention your idea, as it's what reminded me of my blog thought in the first place. One of the things we've been thinking about for the site is a sort of "TPMers abroad" section, particularly since Dark will be visiting Japan in December. So... yeah. I'll let you explain your thoughts on that further if you like, Dark.
    I have still in the mist of my final semester examination revision (>.<); and have not give much thought into it yet. But needless to say, I would be recording every moments of the holiday. These will include the places where I visit, the incoming anime and manga trend (OA forum inputs), cosplaying fashion (OA forum inputs), things that I would be consuming and of course Tokyo's very own busy transportation system. Another that is for sure is that I would be updating all my events in a daily basis during my two weeks stay there. The final thing to mention is that I already have my itinerary all planned out and I would not posting them until much later.

Cloyster Moderator

Sure I'd like to be a contributor!

OK, I just made some screens of the fake site I made (PIC = "Pokemon Info Center" if anyone's curious). I think we could use some of the info that I compiled for it. Like in these two screens:

Also, I started an SVG pokedex as a test of SVG+Javascript. I think it would make a pretty nice complement to a PHP-based pokedex. The bad news is that it ran slower than molasses on my old laptop (the main reason why I stopped working on it) and not all browsers support SVG yet. But we could probably do something like it in Flash. The question is, does anyone here know Flash? Anyway, here's a screenshot of that.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Master Trainer

I fail to see how member blogs and a focus on ASB, fanfics and fanart is going to get TPM anywhere. I know that sounds negative. I know I came in with a bad attitude. I do have genuine suggestions and stuff. But right now I'm just seeing ideas centered around well crap.

There is one fact that has to be remember, TPM was known as the place to get game information, tcg information and the like. The forums were always a bonus while fanfiction ratings was a bonus as well. At the end of the day TPM was number one because it focused on content and news. That must remain the emphasis. I believe in the need for there to be fanart and fanfiction aspects. I have some solid ideas around that type of stuff myself.

I believe the site has to be comprehensive. It needs to mould old TPM (1999-2001) and aspects of the newer site (2002-2003) with aspects that have changed since TPM was number one. I will have a list of things I feel are necessary for the new site, what directions to take and several other things later today and/or tomorrow.

Nifty things such as GS countdowns and the likes are irrelevant without real and proper content. Fanfic and fanart or ASB stuff is irrelevant without proper and real content. You can't ignore those aspects. We can't be the Smogon of the internet world. We need to offer what TPM was and why in my opinion TPM still stands as what a pokemon website should have been.

As for going the route of other videogames and the like? We can't even go there until the site has pokemon content. I'm sorry but its true. Likewise we can't do fanart and fanfiction without proper pokemon content. I hate to say it. But we need the content up. We need to emphasise the comprehensive knowledge and data available with the older games. In fact something I'm particularly upset about is the lack of information for older games. You try looking up TCG for Game Boy information on the internet its simply not there.

Today or tomorrow I will have a full list of information TPM needs to have. And things necessary for the site. These would include the games, pokedex, berrydexes, locatordexes, itemdexes etc etc etc. I also as said earlier have ideas relevant to fan art and fanfiction and other sections not done well by other pokemon sites.

One should not forget, that there is a rich resource in not only the site from 1999-2001, but also 2003-2004 TPM. That information is rather unique to us. With walkthrus for TCG for Gameboy and the like. Most of it one can be accessed via web.archive.org. I say why not use that. Anyway I'm rambling on but I'll have that list made up today or tomorrow. I seriously considered buying TPM and bringing it back myself, I've felt that way for several months and thus I do have strong ideas. Things I already were sorta comtemplating, but just never got round to it. Since back then it was a pipe dream. Today it is no pipe dream. The fact is, Mr. Pikachu and it would seem others have made the idea of bringing back TPM a reality. I do want to help, I do want it to succeed. And from time to time I may sound like a bastard. But I can assure you that I want to see the main site back up and running. And if there is anything I can offer towards this project. It is that.

Edit: Since it would appear Kevin approves of this. What information does he already have, or what information from the old days does he still currently possess?

Oh I miss you Calaveron

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Jeff, I don't understand the hexagon with the stats.
    Apart from that, the third screen, for the Pokemon Info, go for various dropdown menus, otherwise you'll have an infinitely long screen for all 400 odd. I do like how the other stff is arranged.

It also needs to appear more professional.

Colour pallette. I want something regal, traditional and slick. Deep reds, silvers.

I Finnished last Moderator

I read this very quickly and wish the best for you. This has ben tried out earlier, and I put some effort on it as well but was disappointed when I realized the main site wasn't returning. The work was in vain, unless you count I learned many things about English-Finnish translating. I am talking about me translating all the Pokedex entries from RBYGSC into Finnish. It was below a Pokedex project thread and I don't know if my work can be found somewhere.

Cloyster Moderator

The hexagon is a chart for the stats, like in the old Nintendo guides. I like having something more visual than just looking at numbers.

The list on the right is divided into pages, but I was considering replacing that with a search box since that will allow you to search for a pokemon by its name instead of by number as with the list or a dropdown menu.

I wasn't too worried about colors when I made it, I just wanted to have something that I could use, so yeah, that will need some work. Oh yeah, I know you didn't mention this but I thought I'd point out that the blue area at the bottom is for evolution info, which I never added.
    Last edited by Jeff; 5th October 2008 at 12:37 AM.

I Finnished last Moderator

Oh yes and I did Ruby and Sapphire, too. Before they were released in my own country!

Not-So-Cool Trainer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

This is a careful line to tread. With so many sites come and gone, it's hard to make something original nowadays. For our Pokédex, for example, ours should be comprehensive and strategically organized yet it also can't look like the one from serebii.net. I don't have much knowledge in computing or individual games, but I am willing to be a devil's advocate for plagiarism, grammar, and spelling.

Also, if we wanted to do a section on Junichi Masuda's work (i.e., game music), I'd be happy to help in that endeavor as well.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Then the world's alright,
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    Long as I'm singin' my song...
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I'm glad we're another step along in the process with this. I'd love to see the main site up again.

I agree with a lot of the comments that have been made so far. We need to incorporate the creative elements of the existing forum - Fanfic, Fanart, ASB, RPG, etc. - into a content and news-based core site. I think we have to not only match sites like serebii in terms of content, but surpass them in terms of quality, depth and layout if we're going to draw people to a new TPM. As Andrew implied, it has to look impressive as well as being impressive.

I don't know what I can contribute in terms of content - a few years ago I could've majored in Anime, but probably not anymore - but I'm willing to help in any way I can. So, if anyone needs a hand along the way to construct the site, boring manual labour jobs or discussing or whatever, I'm more than ready to chip in.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Moderator Moderator

mr_pika, I know that the G/S/C games are pretty much dead but since there is going to be a section for it, you are more than welcome to use the info in that sticky thread that I have in the G/S/C forum.
    Best Ruby/Sapphire Moderator!!
    TPM Awards 2004, 2005, 2006

Winner of 2007 Unown Award N & 2008 Unown Award C!!

Chicoslavocia's Revenge is my best bud on TPM!!
    Visit her Oekaki Board!!

14 Years at TPM: 11/06/2000-11/06/2014

~Forum Achievements~
    Junior Trainer (250 Posts): 11/25/2000
    Cool Trainer (500 Posts): 12/18/2000
    Advanced Trainer (1000 Posts): 02/20/2001
    TPM's 161st Elite Trainer!! 2500 Posts: 11/22/2003
    TPM's 58th Master Trainer!! 5000 Posts: 09/30/2008
    Gold/Silver/Crystal Help Moderator: 02/17/2001-05/15/2001
    Advanced Generation Moderator: 06/21/2004-04/02/2006, 04/04/2006
    Currently 48th Place: Most Posts @ TPM!!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

But right now I'm just seeing ideas centered around well crap.
    Well, you could be patient about this wouldn't you? We are just only in the beginning stage.

I fail to see how member blogs and a focus on ASB, fanfics and fanart is going to get TPM anywhere.
    There is one fact that has to be remember, TPM was known as the place to get game information, tcg information and the like.
    At the end of the day TPM was number one because it focused on content and news.
    I believe the site has to be comprehensive. It needs to mould old TPM (1999-2001) and aspects of the newer site (2002-2003) with aspects that have changed since TPM was number one.
    Wow, you do have multiple concerns here. But it all narrows down to one thing that you have in mind. You strongly believed that TPM's approach should go for its past reputation as a Pokemon Information Data hub. That is a good strategy too. But stop for a moment, and think deeper for once.

My reasons on focusing more on the differentiation side with fanworks taking more priority is because,

1) TPM hasn't had a decent site for at least the past five to six years or so. During this period, many other sites using the same concepts has emerge and took off from where we last ended. So if we are to use the same idea as we had some 5 years old, would we be branded as being old- fashioned and view as a replicate for these sites?

2) There had already been established sites with the same concept same as TPM did. These sites would include Bulbagardens and Seribi.net. Why fight for the same target audience, when we could cater for the other of their needs? Instead of a direct confrontation with these sites, I strongly believed we should take another approach as what a marketer would say, venture and create a new market. As of now, I hadn't seen or heard any other pokemon sites that concentrates solely on pokemon fanworks. If we come in, take the initiative and start it. I believe we would have a serious advantage.

Of course, my idea could involved serious risks to be undertaken. There are lots of uncertainty around it but I would loved to hear your idea first.

@Jeff ~ Your idea is good too. But the problem is that I think like Andrew had said, we would probably need a more 'mechanically' colored format since it is after all a pokedex right?

Master Trainer

Bulbagarden is a bulbapedia and if you actually use that Bulbapedia you will find it is crap.

Serebii.net does not do news, it no longer does TCG, its gaming information while comprehensive can be troublesome at times. They do not do fanworks. Information on older games is seriously missing.

I'm not saying don't do fanworks. But a site that focuses on fanworks won't go that far. Particularly when one can use BMG forums, Pokecommunity forums and SPP forums.

http://sneaselplushie.legends-station.com/
    http://www.thepokemontower.com/tpt.shtml

Don't tell me there are no places for fanart and fanfic.

It is clear you don't even know what the state of the pokemon community looks like.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer

It is clear you don't even know what the state of the pokemon community looks like.
    And you do?

Then why aren't you helping us? You said you'd post what we need yesterday, so what do you have to offer?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer

I am compiling what the site needs as we speak. Give me time.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Master Trainer

This is my opinion and thoughts and really is rather what I would have done with TPM. These areas I really feel must be completed to a professional level. If anything it can give us an edge. The new TPM site needs to focus both on the old and new games. Trading Card Game, the anime, the manga, fanworks, articles and columns and solid and proper dexes and calculators and the likes. I apologise for the format with which I will show my ideas. But bare with me, because I think it’s a sensible and necessary approach.

News

One thing I have noticed is that a few pokemon websites cover the news fairly comprehensive. Those being Bulbagarden, Pokebeach and Pockemonsters. However, I still feel that news overall could be covered more comprehensive. There is plenty of news whether it is game releases, anime dub titles, new opening and closings for the anime, TCG reports from competition in North America. There is also game ratings from major video game websites not to mention pokemon appearing in major Newspapers and the likes. This is somewhere where I feel I could help when the main site is up.

Articles and Columns/reports

This isn’t something necessary straight away. But I believe TPM could do a bulbapedia of sorts. The difference we cover articles in a more professional way. Where they are proof read, criticized etc and ultimately amended. One could have articles looking back at pokemon, pokemon and academia. Pokemon shippings. Articles on pokemon canon, the TCG, the games, fanfiction, fanart etc etc. This could prove a real asset to the site in the future. Think of is a pokemon encyclopaedia.

The other thing is to bring back the columns from TPM’s past. Most of those can be found largely intact via archives. And eventually regular columns could become a feature on TPM. From what I understand, Serebii.net’s POTW (Pokemon of the Week) is popular and gets Serebii.net a number of hits. People continue to go back to sites with regular updates. This is something TPM could offer in spades.

General Gaming

TPM needs the following:

· Pokedex
    · Berrydex
    · Locatordex
    · Game Mechanics
    · Itemdex
    · Walkthrus
    · Calculators
    · Trainer Database
    · Attackdex
    · Abilitydex
    · Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Pokedex

We’ll need both a normal pokedex and one that follows the Mystery Dungeon Games, Trozei and ranger games. Now I say have two pokedexes.

The normal one could be like how Smogon does their movesets. This would have a simple tab from D/P/Pt to RSEFRLGXDC to RBY/GSC. It looks decent it means someone doesn’t need to go click in several places and it just makes sense.

The Spinoff likewise would use the tab effect for easy navigation.

As for movesets, unless they’re going to be detailed I would not bother. They will just look crap otherwise. What I have found lacking on several websites, is movesets for WIFI battles and the like. You’ll notice at Smogon and elsewhere they talk about Hidden Power and the like and certainly one can have those over wifi. But its much more difficult. So movesets that work for wifi battling is something I feel could work.

Berrydex

Pretty much says it all. Most berrydexes currently online do 3rd gen and 4th gen only. I wouldn’t mind seeing one for GSC as well. Likewise I feel the tabbing effect could work here as well.

Locatordex

Something I have yet to see but something I think would work wonderfully. Many people don’t like to use walkthroughs. One can get spoiled and often one doesn’t need it but surely on Route201 for instance one wouldn’t mind knowing what pokemon and major items can be found there or where one has Honey Trees and the like. This is where I think TPM could offer something new.

It’s a simple idea, one is playing Diamond so they look up Route 202 and in the dex contains what pokemon available during the day, during the night, what pokemon are available via the rader, swarm or GBA inserts. This Locatordex could I think greatly benefit the site.

Game Mechanics

Says it all. Rather like articles they have comprehensive information on breeding, natures, IVS, Evs, certain pokemon, certain attacks in more depth, abilities, Trading Mechnics, Experience Points etc etc.

Itemdex

A database with every item from berries, to potions, to pokeball to things like Choice Specs and leftovers. Locations, information etc etc.

Walkthrus

TPM always had fantastic walkthroughs. I know RBY and I think GSC are still available via archives. There is also an archived Ruby/Sapphire walkthrough. Not too hard to do the others. Walkthroughs work, people like to use them and TPM always had a strength in such an area.

Also we could do walkthroughs for the Mystery Dungeon Games and the Ranger Games.

Calculators

We’ll need EV calculator, Iv calculator, damage calculator. Once again calculators for the first two generation of games are already available via archives.

Trainer Database

Certain websites have such a thing for the 3rd generation. But there really isn’t anything for the first two generations or 4th generation. Its pretty easy. Works like a database, find the trainer you’re about to face has what level pokemon that trainer has and what movesets the pokemon have. A long term project certainly, but a point of difference again and means more people will come to our site.

Attackdex

Makes sense, once again the tabbing effect could work for attacks like Bodyslam that have been around for all four generations. Has what pokemon learn them by levelup. Long term project but would be great.

Abilitydex

Once again works the same as any other dex.

Gym Leaders and Elite 4 I would love to see a database that has information on Gym Leaders and the elite 4 and battle tower leaders etc with what gym they’re in what pokemon they have and what moves/attacks those pokemon have. And in latter games if the gym leader uses potions and the like.

Red, Blue and Yellow

http://web.archive.org/web/200108011...eboy/red_blue/
    http://web.archive.org/web/200108012...ameboy/yellow/

The old data albeit get it fixed up to look more professional. Perhaps we could include a page about Nidoking/Nidoqueen and the like, Mew and Mewtwo. Perhaps a look at theories and the likes. One could perhaps have an article about how the game stacks up now and stuff. I really feel something TPM can offer is not only comprehensive information on old games. But also add more data and information to it. Too many other pokemon sites have the old information but its left largely forgotten. I would like to see Red, Blue and Yellow be as good as any current Diamond and Pearl section.

Oh and lets not forget about Pokemon Green.

Gold, Silver and Crystal

http://web.archive.org/web/200107131...y/gold_silver/

http://web.archive.org/web/200108011...meboy/crystal/

Same as RBY only more comprehensive and more up to date as per diamond and pearl pages and the like.

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and Leafgreen

There is some information in the archives. But TPM really never covered as much. So once again thorough information on contests and the like, pokeblock, information relevant. It needs to be absolutely comprehensive. Serebii.net covers a lot of this. But look underneath the surface of that site and you’ll find most of it is written crap. We MUST have comprehensive information over everything.

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum

Same as RSEFRLG. Needs to be comprehensive, completed and relevant. Serebii.net and Psypoke and Pokezam and GameFaqs covers a lot of this stuff. But most of it underneath it all is written pretty badly and lacks much data and information.

Lets not kid ourselves. The game sections are necessary, they will take time, they are covered by other websites. But we must ensure we have all sections comprehensively covered in a professional and easy to understand way.

Pokemon Pinball

http://web.archive.org/web/200106110...all/index.html

We already have it. Perhaps just look for grammar, spelling mistakes and the like and any extra information one could cover.

Pokemon TCG for Gameboy and TCG for Gameboy 2.

http://web.archive.org/web/200106110...ard/index.html

I wouldn’t mind seeing some type of card scans. Also I wouldn’t mind seeing a section dedicated to TCG for Gameboy 2. Which is not covered well anywhere, while this was not released in North America or anything. I don’t think we should forget about it.

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

http://web.archive.org/web/200108020...ameboy/puzzle/

Unfortunately it was never well covered. Not a priority I will admit but we need something here surely.

Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire

Needs to be covered. Not a priority. But needs to be worked on.

Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Trozei

Likewise can’t be called a priority, but nevertheless, will need to be covered.

Mystery Dungeon Games and Ranger Games

While these are certainly covered elsewhere, something tells me they are treated as an afterthought. If we can make a huge difference it is in these areas. We need to ensure they are covered absolutely comprehensively, with walkthroughs, heaps of data, heaps of information on everything. I really don’t think we can afford to ignore these games. Its something that could give us a bit of an edge, if we covered them comprehensively.

Pokemon Stadium

http://web.archive.org/web/200110070...um2/index.html

Once again we already have information on this. If it could be more up to date and stuff. That is all that would be necessary.

Pokemon Stadium 2

http://web.archive.org/web/200106041.../n64/stadium3/
    Same as above.

Stadium released only in Japan

http://web.archive.org/web/200106110...ium/index.html

We already have it. ^_^

Pokemon Snap

http://web.archive.org/web/200108050...nap/index.html

Can’t ignore this section, particularly since its been released on the Virtual Console. Include the old, add to it via the new stuff only on VC. Make it comprehensive.

Pokemon Puzzle League

http://web.archive.org/web/200106090...zle/index.html

Once again covered already. But like Snap was released on VC. So have the updated stuff from there. Make it look a bit more professional. Perhaps have a review based off the VC game.

Hey You Pikachu!

http://web.archive.org/web/200106090...chu/index.html

Clean it up, include more screenshots, a bit more data and done.

Nintendo 64 Smash Bros.

http://web.archive.org/web/200106090...ash/index.html

Already have it covered. Just make it more professional.

Pokemon Box (GameCube) My Pokemon Ranch (Wii)

Cover them. Particularly My Pokemon Ranch. Not that much to do here. Just make it clear and consise.

The other two smash brother games. The GameCube and Wii

I’m guessing many here are familiar with both games. I’m sure between many of you, you can have all this information sorted via databases and the like to be comprehensive.

Pokemon XD and Pokemon Colosseum

While older games, these two games must be covered comprehensively with information on everything including walkthroughs and the like. Because through those two games one can get access to Pokemon that can be traded onto the 3rd Generation games. Not a pirioty, does not need to be covered straight away. But is necessary.

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Must be covered.

Once again many of these games are not a priority, they do not need to be done straight away, particular for ones with no data on them. But nonetheless over time we should ensure all are covered. I really think we need the older games to be just as comprehensively covered as newer games. Because many still play the older games, they sell often for high prices over Ebay and the like, so people are still playing them. People still need data. And for many of the older games, we have information already.

Computer Games, the mini Pikachu pocket thing etc etc

Most certainly not priority. The Mini Pikachu thing we have information already. Nonetheless over time once other sections are more settled we could have sections on this. With information that one just can’t find elsewhere. But like I’ve said. Its not something to be done now but something we could do in the future. Perhaps even do something on the Snes game with pokemon characters and the like. Also eventually the e-readers part will need to covered.

The Anime

· Episode Guides
    · Episode ratings
    · Character Guides
    · Gym Leader/Pokemon Contest information
    · Song Lyrics
    · Episode pics
    · Release information
    · Movies
    · Articles

Pretty much says what needs to be covered. I see Mr. Pikachu has already started on this, but we need to ensure that many characters get covered and are comprehensively covered. What I mean is we don’t want here is this character and it has five pokemon type of thing. We need it to be thorough. Lyrics for the opening and closer will be needed. I would’t mind articles about the anime, looking at theories from the anime and the likes. Everyone seems to be doing episode pics now days, perhaps we should look at that.

Basically we can’t have just another anime section with episode guides and character guides. We need more than that. Certainly at first focus on what is necessary for the site. But then overtime make it something people will want to return to. Will elaborate if necessary.

The Manga

Not a priority but nonetheless we would be stupid not to cover it. Chapter guides, characters and also eventually do the TCG manga and the like. I see the manga section as a long term project. But we can’t ignore it. Should be covered but like I have said certainly not a priority. Would also be keen to have information on the Scholastic Books and likes that have been released.

Trading Figure Game and TCG

Not something I know much of. But we need to cover it. We should have scans and the like covered already for the older sets. We would need a cardex, articles, deck reviews, scans. Competition play, competition info. TCG has to be treated as a long term project. I’m not sure how much expertise exists here on the subject. It must be thoroughly covered. But I don’t think it has to be a priority. Its something I have ideas on but TCG so huge that it’s a whole entire project on its own. Will elaborate if necessary.

Likewise TFG or Trading Figure Game, we’d be stupid not to cover it.

Trading, wifi battling and general WIFI

Since 4th Generation, one has been able to trade pokemon over wifi, battling people over wifi and Ranger games and the like have wifi aspects to it. If we want to be a website with a difference. This is one of the areas I think should be considered exploring. I’m sure some of you could make up a program of sorts where one could talk to others and trade and wifi battle. I wish I had more to say on the subject. But I see a need for some type of program where trading and battling could take place. Incorporate some type of chat thing, forum thing. This could prove a real asset.

Pokemon Merchandise

IS NOT A PRIORITY. But in the future we could have a whole section dedicated to pokemon merchandise. There is so much out there, so much that could be covered. This is once again long-term thinking. But its something you just don’t see anywhere. I think that is a real shame. And think something like this could prove beneficial.

Fanfiction

Something TPM use to have was a section dedicated to fanfic ratings. I would love to see something like this return. My own thoughts about such a section is perhaps different to others. I would like to see articles on fanfiction writing. Use assets TPM already has in the Fanfic E-Zine. Sort them into articles perhaps. Also have other stuff on how to write a fanfic, how to work with characters. A look at different genres and the likes one can do with fan-fiction. Mr. Pikachu and others already are brilliant at this stuff. I think it would be great to have fanworks return.

Now the old way of fanfic ratings didn’t work. Every day one would get 20 fanfics they had to read and rate. It wasn’t enjoyable and people never lasted long. I think if there was a focus on short stories or completed fanfics with a one page review. It’s this that I think could be a boon. Have it so only stories deemed worthy enough to make it are put there. So have fanfic ratings, but have it so only proper written stories are there and actually get meaningful reviews. Perhaps something similar to what is offered via the fanfic competitions on the forum.

You have the experts already for this type of stuff. Why not use it. It it’s possible I would love to see older fanfic stories posted on the boards in 1999-2001 included somehow.

Fan Art

Treat it the same as fanfiction. Review people’s art. Make sure its quality art to start off with. Have articles on how to make art. Perhaps get 1-3 people and do art galleries like the site did previously. This likewise could be a boon to the site.

Roleplaying and ASB

I see others have ideas. I think one huge RPG centered around pokemon could get a number of new people to the site. I agree ASB can be an asset. Once again articles would be great to see. I think others will have this covered better.

Other fanworks

Perhaps get a few pokemon comics/manga. It means people come to the site, could be rather exiciting. On one hand you could have fans posting their comics/manga with them reviewed. But also 1 or two monthly, bi-monthly, fortnightly manga/comics posted on the site could be beneficial.

OTHER

Where else could TPM eventually go? Certainly we could cover certain elements of Manga and Anime and games. But these can hardly be priorities. Other elements of pokemon could be radio plays, theatre performances. Influence of pokemon in other anime, manga and games. Blogs could work, but having 1000 blogs isn’t going to work.

I would love to see some type of section dedicated to TPM history and pokemon history itself. This is a project I have always had my eyes on and could work on the overall site. Its something I feel would be great to have on any future TPM site.

I would also like to see the site be more community friendly. So Serebii.net or Psypoke post something, why can’t we report it? I think a problem with the community online today is there is a lot of me first that I just find displeasing. W should not be afraid of pointing out what other sites have. Site reviews or something of the sorts could be something to look at in the future.

Also what about utilizing new technologies such as podcasts, youtube videos and the like?

So that is what I think TPM needs to cover. I’ve said so much and yet I still have many ideas and stuff. I would like to see TPM become the comprehensive site it once was. But I personally see much more than that. I see a site that engages the whole of the pokemon community, that covers interesting stuff one does not see elsewhere. Pokemon has been influential in society, it is covered by academics and there is so much that can be explored. Certain things need to be prioitised over others. But I think we need to be as comprehensive as possible.

Edit: Fixed links

Edit 2: http://web.archive.org/web/200106081...kemasters.com/ A good archive with most links working.
    Last edited by firepokemon; 5th October 2008 at 09:38 PM.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I admit I haven't read through your entire post yet, fp - I will do so in the next couple of days, but right now I'm frantically doing a bunch of grading work, and I have too little time to procrastinate on it. However, I did want to comment briefly on your suggestion for TCG.

I agree wholeheartedly that having card scans and such would be awesome. However, that could call our bandwidth and (much more likely) server space into question. Most features of the website don't require too many pictures, but if we were to do something extensive with card scans, we'd have to watch some file size issues.

...Of course, maybe I completely misinterpreted that comment in my haste to blitz through everything while I should be working. If I did, I completely apologize, and I'll read more carefully in the next couple of days.

For the moment, take away the discussion, everyone! What do you think about firepokemon's analysis?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Cloyster Moderator

I definitely think we should include info on all pokemon games past and present. People still play the old games, and now with the DSi coming out and the possibility of a GameBoy virtual console, there could be even more demand for info on old pokemon games. The best part is that we already have the content as fp pointed out.

We also need news on the main page. We had that for a while, around 2004-2005, where anyone with posting privileges on the main site could post news items. That would fit in perfectly with the community-driven concept we should be going for. Of course there would have to be some measure to prevent posts such as this one:

So Cute!!!
    Posted by: Kojiro on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 03:34 PM PST
    General News Okay, me and my brother were at Walmart, and I saw the cutest thing ever. Pokemon plushies, Omigod, they were so cute. There were big o*nes of Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip. And Small o*nes of Treecko, Mudkip, Torchic, and Plusle & Minum. I suggest anyone to get these little cuties! They were o*nly 9.99! Get them now! Did I mention how cute they were!