Thread: Coontank!'s Team

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Coontank!'s Team

Hey guys. Here's an idea for a team I want to make for Wi-Fi. I'd especially love suggestions on EV spreads (as you can see, I'm not very efficient with them haha), and items (note, I'd like to stay away from Choice items). But of course, any help is seriously appreciated.
    Thanks to those who help!

Bastiodon @ Leftovers: Sturdy
    Careful; 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Skuntank @ Life Orb: Aftermath
    Hasty; 252 Atk, 204 Spd, 54 SpAtk
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Explosion
    - Toxic

Zangoose @ Silk Scarf: Immunity
    Jolly; 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    - Swords Dance
    - Crush Claw
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack / Pursuit

Slowbro @ Leftovers: Own Tempo
    Bold; 252 HP, 204 SpDef, 54 SpAtk
    - Calm Mind
    - Slack Off
    - Surf
    - Thunder Wave

Mismagius @ ???: Levitate
    Modest; 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunder Bolt
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Pain Split

Altaria @ ???: Natural Cure
    Impish; 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk
    - Roost
    - Sing
    - Featherdance
    - Draco Meteor / Ice Beam

Banned

Default Re: Coontank!'s Team

seems pretty decent, though for zangoose, wouldnt pick quick attack/pursuit, since those are pretty weak, and altaria only has 1 attack move.. u need to drop featherdance/sing for ice beam and keep draco meteor..

If you'd like to fight my team.. which i also designed for wifi, pm me.. might get interesting

N2KOT

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Quote Originally Posted by Coontank! View Post
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Explosion
    - Toxic
    Replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower. Fire Blast is too inaccurate for Wi-Fi.

- Swords Dance
    - Crush Claw
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack / Pursuit
    Pretty much the only Normal offensive move worth having is Return. Replace Crush Claw with that and replace the Quick Attack/Pursuit slot with a more powerful and/or versatile move, like X-Scissor, Shadow Claw, Night Slash, etc.. When Platinum comes out, you could try giving it Fire/Ice/Thunderpunch, too.

Altaria @ ???: Natural Cure
    Impish; 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk
    - Roost
    - Sing
    - Featherdance
    - Draco Meteor / Ice Beam
    This one I'm kinda torn on. The moveset itself is fine, but if your team goes up against a Fighting Pokemon, it's gonna get utterly wrecked. Mismagius' resistance is good, but if neither Slowbro nor Mismagius has a Psychic move, you might wanna give this guy a Flying attack.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

phOEnixsong, not EO, plzthx Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    In Phoenixsonglandatopia. You're not invited.

Bastiodon: I suppose it's okay if you're willing to overlook the fact that those attack EVs aren't going to do it much good at all and are much better off bolstering Bastiodon's defenses; its double weaknesses still pose a nasty threat to it even with those high base defense stats, so they need as much help as possible (preferably physical defense, as that way Bastiodon will be better able to survive the countless Earthquakes and Close Combats that will be headed its way). An unSTAB Earthquake off of a poor attack stat isn't really any help, so I'd look at replacing it with something else--there's always Metal Burst for a little fun, or Avalanche, which nothing is immune to, will almost always hit with 120 power coming from Bastiodon and will give you more Ice attacks, which you really need, my friend.

Skuntank: Er, well, you could argue that you can't really afford the accuracy drop on Wi-Fi, but I'd actually say that Wi-Fi requires more power than something like Shoddy does. I don't know how good your Pokémon's IVs are, Coontank!, but unless your Skuntank has stellar special attack Flamethrower just isn't going to do anything worthwhile (especially since it's Hasty and not Modest or anything). I mean, clearly Skuntank's really there for Toxic and Explosion, but there's no reason not to put a big ol' hole in as many things as you can before you asplode. Flamethrower over Fire Blast is your call, though.

Zangoose: Actually, you should probably ditch Crush Claw for Return, not Quick Attack/Pursuit. The defense drop is tempting and has a high occurrence rate, but raw power is probably preferable. I haven't actually checked the math, but my guess is that Return will do about the same damage over two turns as two Crush Claws if one causes a defense drop, and more damage than two Crush Claws if there is no drop. Quick Attack actually can have its uses--priority moves are always good, especially on something with just-above-mediocre speed like Zangoose, and with STAB+Silk Scarf+Swords Dance it's actually not too shabby. That said, it's generally a better option on Shoddy than it is on Wi-Fi because with Shoddy you can guarantee the 31 IV you pretty much need to really put any sort of respectable hole in anything. A Life Orb is probably a better item for Zangoose than Silk Scarf, though, because it provides the higher boost, gives it to all of its moves and Zangoose isn't exactly known for its longevity anyway. If you do give it a Life Orb then Pursuit is also worth consideration, but probably not if you're using Silk Scarf. It really could use an elemental punch over that slot or Return/Crush Claw as soon as you get the chance, though.

Slowbro: Looks good from where I'm standing.

Mismagius: The moves look good, though I'm drawing a bit of a blank on what item to give it. You can always default to Wise Glasses, Leftovers (so it can mess with more stuff) or Life Orb (a bit gimmicky, granted, but could work nicely with Pain Split if you're lucky).

Altaria: Yours looks pretty stallish, so you might as well give it Leftovers, too. Don't use Draco Meteor on something that's going to be sitting around using Roost all the time, especially not if its nature is Impish; it won't do all that much coming from an Altaria in the first place, doesn't have enough PP for a defensive Pokémon and will cripple what little offense it has anyway. Give Altaria a physical attack instead, or else try to get one that isn't Impish and use Ice Beam or something like Dragon Pulse.

Hopefully that helped a little bit.
    Last edited by Phoenixsong; 20th December 2008 at 06:47 PM.

note to self: swinub, shuppet, anorith; also note to self, update with José, Pants and Hellbender

plusle f, burmy m

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Wow, thanks so much all of you. I really didn't expect to get that many responses

@need2knowonething: Well I have Holiday vacation coming up, so I'll hopefully have this team done by the end of that if I'm lucky. I'll definately PM you when it's ready, I'd love to battle.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers: Sturdy
    Careful; 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Stone Edge
    - Avalanche

I didn't even think of Avalanche, Phoenixsong! That was definately a great suggestion. I also changed the EV's from Atk to Def. It's going to be Roaring through quite a few Pokemon, so it'll need the Def EV's to take the hits coming to it.

- Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Explosion
    - Toxic

I decided to keep Fire Blast, pretty much because of the reason Pheonixsong stated.

- Swords Dance
    - Return
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack

As you can see, I did follow you guys' advice and ended up replacing Crush Claw with Return. And I'm keeping Quick Attack, again for the reasons that Phoenixsong gave. And the elemental punches are tempting, but I don't believe I'll be getting Platinum. So unless I trade to a friend once it comes out and then trade back, I'm stuck with this set. I also decided to keep Silk Scarf.

Slowbro @ Leftovers: Own Tempo
    Calm; 252 HP, 128 SpDef, 128 SpAtk
    - Calm Mind
    - Slack Off
    - Surf
    - Thunder Wave

I noticed that the nature I had for Slowbro before was totally wrong, so I changed it to Calm, as well changed the EVs a little. Tell me what you think.

Mismagius @ Life Orb: Levitate
    Modest; 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunder Bolt
    - Psychic
    - Pain Split

As Blademaster pointed out, my team is going to have trouble with Fighting types. So hopefully putting Psychic on this one will accomodate. I love the Life Orb/Pain Split potential as well.

Altaria @ Leftovers: Natural Cure
    Bold; 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk
    - Roost
    - Sing
    - Featherdance
    - Dragon Pulse

I definately now see the problem with having Draco Metor. And I know it only has one attack move, as Need2knowonething pointed out, but this Altaria isn't meant to take out mulitple enemies; it's meant to stall. And ss Phoenixsong said, I need more Ice attacks, and I agree completely with that. But Dragon Pulse is STAB, and also deals with other Dragons as Ice Beam would, so... I'm hoping Dragon Pulse is the better choice now that Bastiodon has Avalanche. Oh, and I also changed the nature and EVs to accomodate.

Let me know what you all think of the team with these changes. And once again, thank you so much, guys! You're all seriously a great help!