Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Platinum

Cloyster Moderator

Default Pokemon Platinum

So nothing like a third version to DP to stir up discussion here again...

So supposedly it'll be called Pokemon Platinum. Some basic information about it according to everyone's favorite Celebi-themed pokemon site:
    -Giritina will be on the box (surprise surprise)
    -Volkner has pulled a Wallace on us and is no longer gym leader
    -WiFi underground
    -Battle Island (same thing as battle frontier), again,
    -Giritina, Regigigas, and Shaymin have new forms

Thoughts?
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: Pokemon Platinum

Nope. Not this time Nintendo. I'm not buying the same game again again again. Considering I have nine games in a series that has less twists than a straightaway on Luigi Raceway, I don't need to buy Game #4B. I'll wait for #5A to pretend to be new and wildly different before falling for it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

PLATINUM? How does a precious metal fit in with a gem and something a clam spits out?

Nintendo always does this... Red, Blue, and Yellow were all colors. Then they screwed up Gold and Silver by adding Crystal. Then Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were all gemstones, and now they've screwed up the DP line. -.-;

I'm not sure if I'll get this one yet. On the one hand, I already have Diamond AND Pearl, but on the other, I never bought Emerald. And Crystal was different enough from Gold to keep me amused... Plus, Underground Wi-Fi sounds like a blast...

I might just pick this one up... Then again, maybe I should start saving up for the Nintendo DS Advance SP Colorboy Mach 2.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

From my experience the 2nd release of the games has always enough changes to make it better, I mean yellow had a story line more fitting to the anime, Crystal had the introduction of the battle tower and the 2 gender players, Emerald in my opinion was the best since it had the battle Frontier which required a lot of skill, the new Safari zone expansion, the addition of the Match Call and the new story plot of all three Groudon, Rayquaza and Kyogre with Rayquaza able to be captured before the pokemon League. So with all that I am looking forward to Platinum especially since of the Underground Wifi since I spent most of my Diamond hours in there digging away.

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You do know Joe said the name might be just a rumor of did you guys already forget that he did mistranslated Shellos name...

Besides that Idiot who thought to call the third game Pokemon Platinum should be shot in the head, I mean really all this time I been waiting to find out what Lady Berlitz's name was only to be let down by Game freak calling the third game Platinum instead of Opal which would be a more fitting name for a girl then Platinum.

Edit on second thought the reason why the third game is called Platinum is it may in fact mean that Nintendo may in fact be planing to do the highly awaited G/S after all which is of course a good thing for two reasons they know that the old Gaboy carts are dieing and that there is still the fact that Professor Oak said that there is a rock in Kanto that might also lead to Shaymin.

~Charles Legend
    Last edited by Charles Legend; 12th May 2008 at 03:07 AM.
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

Do I know how to throw a punch Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I'm probably not going to buy it. Diamond and Pearl were HUGE failures in my opinion, so I have to see how much different this game is.
    Cooking is a gift from the gods.
    Spices are a gift from the devil.
    Looks like it became a little too spicy for you.
    ~Sanji, after beating Jyabura at Enies Lobby(One Piece)

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well I would certainly welcome a G/S remake, but for now this looks sorta promising. I have to say, I don't like the reappearance of the Battle Frontier, but we'll see how bad it is this time around. There was enough hax in Emerald's version, not to mention I'm still pissed at Palmer's Milotic and Dragonite (I have beaten them, but...)

Giratina as the key Legendary is sorta amusing. It does have one of the best signature moves of the new Legendaries (the unbeatable Shadow Force, undone only by Normal-Type opponents). This probably means both Dialga and Palkia will be available in the game somewhere (like Kyogre and Groudon in Emerald). Dunno what they have planned with Regigigas, Shaymin, and Darkrai, though. Would be kinda nice if they did what they should have done in the first place and remix the Regis' theme from R/S/E for Regigigas in Platinum instead of just using the generic Legendary theme for it.

Pokemon Heroine Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I remember reading long ago on Bulbapedia about a possible third game in the "Diamond/Pearl" family being announced.

Will I ever get it though? I'll have to wait and see..

Oh, and here's something I just found on Bulbapedia while I typed this up that might interest you (THIS HASN'T BEEN CONFIRMED AS REAL YET, SO TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT):

"Pokémon Platinum announcement leaked?"

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex's Signature (Epic Games Forums)
    As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.
    Wondering Where I Got the Pics in My Avatar From?

Signature © 2010 Starry Might. All Rights Reserved.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

So far I've felt Yellow Crystal and Emerald have been really great. But Platinum needs to do more than include the same things Emerald did (obviously this is not even confirmed news, but what we have heard has all been in Gen3). I've not even got Diamond or Pearl yet so I don't know to what extent it can build on the current gen, but I think we can all expect some Pokemon to be included in both and some excluded altogether, which has become standard.

And Charles, don't worry about the Manga; Platinum may not be Berlitz's name. Remember that, despite Wally's involvement as a rival in the game, the Manga chose to create a brand new character, Emerald, for the BF Manga. They don't follow everything too closely.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Cloyster Moderator

Better quality scan

Looks like Giratina gets its own grayish HP/stat box in battle, and the male main character has new clothes, but still has the same hat. Also, apparently the new scan reveals that Giratina's new form's ability is unknown, and not Levitate as people have been speculating that it says.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Veteran Trainer

Ugh...

That first screenshot had me thinking, "Holy fuck, they did it... They finally combined the evillest aspects of Ghost, Dragon, and Legendary Pokemon and created this... this... AWESOME CREATURE."

Then I scrolled down.

(facemonitor)

WHY, NINTENDO? WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING US OVER!? LOOK AT GIRATINA'S NEW FORM! IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING BARGE! LOOK AT IT!!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Nice Dragon boat you got there Blade, anyways another thing I find really Weird about this whole Pokémon Platinum thing is that, a fan site by the name of Pokemon Platinum exist and they are working on a G/S/C remake Ironically is called Pokemon Platinum... O.o I think this whole Pokemon Platinum thing is one big joke, remember there are people who are highly skilled artiest and could have easlly did the Magazine scan on Photo shop and to take Giritina's Origin Form artwork and make it into a Sprite...

however I am not saying there wont be a third game I am just saying it way to danm weird, I mean half the stuff that is said to be in this was already in Emerald, the 8th Gym Leader getting replaced and the BF... until I see more info then gust the scan I am deeming this as 100% Fake that is just based off of real info I mean the only thing we really know is that there will be a third game and the only thing we know about Giritina, Regigigas, and Shaymin getting new forms is that there in the movie... -_-

besides that Blue Sky has got to be the worse Soucre for Pokemon Related Infomaton on the whole damn freaking Internet!

Sure I don't mind April's Fools Day Pranks about Fake games but to bluntly Call it cannon based off of one measly Magazine scan, I mean for crying out load Serebii neveen wet as far as to create a Pokemon Platinum board to talk about it...

I want a third and or a G/S/C Remakes just as much as the next guy but good loard peole in this fandom need to be on more of a guard to hoaxes Until one of the staff at NOJ conferms it Pokemon Platinum should be seen for what it is a Fake, and yes I am awere there was a fake called Pokemon Diamond that yes really did become a cannon game, however that would be just two weird if in fact Pokemon Platinum became a real game...

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/platinum/02.html

For the people that think this is fake, well it isn't. The official website is now up for Pokemon Platinum.

Advanced Trainer

And so it begins!

Oh, and concerning the name of the girl in the "Diamond/Pearl" manga:

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net, "First CoroCoro scan" (Bold Italics mine)
    This single page scan shows Pokémon Platinum (technically the Katakana says Platina, but that is generally the term the Japanese use for Platinum)...
    I've never read any "Pokemon" mangas (I've heard of 'em, though), but that sounds like that could be her name to me. It's sounds like a girl's name in that spelling, right?

Speaking of Dawn (the "Diamond/Pearl" girl)...I wonder what her clothes look like in "Platinum"? (Hey, Lucas - the boy PC - has new clothes, so she most likely will, too!)

As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well hopefully they'll take the chance to do something right with Platinum that were kinda eh in D/P. A minor tweak like the music for Regigigas would be one thing. If they'd actually fix the PokéRadar to be a little better at finding what you're actually using it for would help (also maybe tweak the encounter rates to be a little more fair in some cases, too, since I still remember the fits I was throwing with the Nidorans, not to mention Munchlax and the trees...).

Also, with any luck, maybe they'll remember to put Tangela and Tropius in the game somewhere. Dunno how they totally blew it in D/P, but it would be nice to not have to resort to transferring anything in aside from the totally necessary (like the old Legendaries and stuff). I suppose trading for 'em is an option too, but I'm the kind of person who likes catching Pokémon by their own efforts as much as possible (frustrating as it can be sometimes).

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Cool Re: Pokemon Platinum

All I meant was that I found it odd that NOJ used the Names of two fake games and in the same generation I might add. :rollseyes:

btw I found this picture of a Real Shaymin.

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

Advanced Trainer

^- Cute! ^_^

Beginning Trainer

Hmm, I'm wondering...Volkner pulls a Wallace on us...Shaymin has a SKY form...Giratina also looks like a SKY form...Emeralds legend was related to SKY...Regi's make a reappearance...are we returning to Hoenn?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I think I like shaymins older form but I definitely prefer the new giratina.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

They need to bring Emerald-style Move Tutors back.

Now!

I'm SICK of trying to get moves through RIDICULOUSY obscure methods -.- I never had to play Emerald, Firered and Diamond for ONE fricking Pokemon so much as I am now >O!

Aside from that, looking forward to see what else they add for us in this one. Hopefully it'll be out...o wait, it has a Sept Release date. Shoot, 09. Ugh too far to care now.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Smoke and fire Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Shaymin's Sky Forme looks really cool. Though it now having a 4X weakness to Ice sucks badly.

Just import Platinum, translations will be available rather quickly and you'll be able to follow half of it anyway. The 20 person wifi thing that they've introduced, I think is the most intriguing of the information that came out two days ago.
    Registered March 24th 2000

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

why wub woo Moderator

I just love how 4chan totally pwned that douchebag WPM with their fake Shaymin. What a douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

All that matters is that Dawn's redesign clothes are cute and delicious.
    For terrible Pokésex: 2148-4736-7219

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I just love how 4chan totally pwned that douchebag WPM with their fake Shaymin. What a douche.
    Not to mention Serebii. You know Serebii became so sure that it was real, he thought he could see the Shaymin sky forme on the official site. It was rather hilarious. Or are you talking about something else?

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I tried playing Pokemon Diamond before, beat the first Gym and it simply doesn't appeal to me. The features are cool, and the improvements with Platinum look intersting.

It's just missing a spark RBY/GSC (and to a lesser extent RSE) had.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    It's just missing a spark RBY/GSC (and to a lesser extent RSE) had.
    That spark is called "originality."

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

No. I don't mind the repeated main premise of the games. If I did, I would have gotten sick of it by GSC.

I think it has more to do with the graphics and music.
    Last edited by shazza; 16th July 2008 at 01:14 AM.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Well, one complaint I have (and there aren't many to make about DP, in my opinion) is that gameplay is just too slow.

I'm not just talking about walking/running/command speed, although it does feel like those are slower. More importantly, there's too much to do with too little advancement. The world is bigger than pretty much any previous game - I haven't looked into in scientifically, but it may even top GSC despite having half the badges - and with the high levels of late Gym Leaders and the E4, game completion requires a lot of focused training.

This combination makes DP very much like an RPG; before it fell easily into the adventure genre. You could just pick up the game and play in the past, but now you've got to be very deliberate. In some sense, it's just too much. RPG gameplay fits consoles much better than handheld devices, and Pokemon has always favored the faster style.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

It IS slower. There are towns that have no damn purpose other than fr you to pass through them. Usually, in the past, the towns that had no Gym were in the beginning of the game. Not DP; you pass through what, 3 of them as you go through?

The progression of the plot is longer as well for the speed reason, you are godawful slow on that bike. I played Firered and I swear the kid in Firered can RUN faster than the kid bikes in DP.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Beginning Trainer

Not to mention the whole goddamned trek from Badge 2 to Badge 4 or so. Seriously, it as what, 3 routes, 2 cities, one with a Gym that you couldn't access because the Gymleader sees you unworthy? FOR GODS SAKE THEN PUT THAT GYM AT THE END.

Where I live is purple. Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Scizor View Post
    All that matters is that Dawn's redesign clothes are cute and delicious.
    I think they're cute. :3

I like the idea of an Interpol officer; I'm actually hoping there will be allusions to Zenigata in his character. And Glacidia's Flower allows Shaymin to go back and forth between formes; does this mean Shaymin will be available in-game, or will it be a crappy wait-in-line event once again?

As for Galactic going a step up in this game...I hope it doesn't become a total cliche.

...I'm not dead yet!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity View Post
    I hope it doesn't become a total cliche.
    You know it will be, unfortunately.
    For terrible Pokésex: 2148-4736-7219

Master Trainer

Hmm any of you guys have thoughts about the five pokemon forms that have appeared. I keep hearing people saying they're Rotom forms but I'm not sure. To be honest the idea of more forms of pokemon and the like is weird. Also I'm not sure I understand where or how one is going to get these pokemon. Since its not exactly sure that its a Platinum thing or an event thing and its highly unlikely to be part of the 5th Gen since surely they're still a while away.

Hmm so what are your thoughts?

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I thought Rotom forms, but then, given their robot-like appearence I get the impression they might be helper droids or robots or some form of technology introduced into Sinnoh, like the ones in Movie 7. They just don't seem to resemble Pokemon....

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

why wub woo Moderator

Has anyone got a link to pictures of said new formes? I can't find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Cloyster Moderator

http://www.serebii.net (they should still be up on the main page)

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

It's cool that Rotom has more forms, but are we making more useless Pokemon, more baby forms. Because it's cool that they are cute and all, but seriously, let's get some more evolutions of basic forms, Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Pinsir, Girafarig, Absol, the list goes on.

I also read there are some Castforms and Baltoy evolutions too?

Those new evolutions look more like toasters and light bulbs. I'm sorry, but did they really run out of Animals in the kingdom? or do they just want to make more useless evolutions?

(my first challenge complete)

TERRY's GROUND CHALLENGE 2006- (Monotype Challenge) TPM RBY
    (my 2nd challenge)

...Σ(·ω·ノ)ノ!!! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    I am the edge of my shape.
    Squared is my face and cubed is my volume.
    I have proved over a thousand theorems.
    Variable to rational,
    Variable to imaginary,
    These polygons hold many numbers,
    Yet these polygons will remained unsolved.
    So, as I calculate,
    UNLIMITED BOX WORKS!
    There are no such thing as mad scientists, only creative ones.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Great find, Engi! Judging by that second video, there's definitely a new Battle Frontier in the works... I've missed that, frankly. And it looks like we'll finally be able to access some of the locked areas and Pokemon legitimately. Giratina looks downright freaky.... The graphics seem a tad better, although I haven't noticed any improvement in the movement speed. A bit disappointing on that last front, but it looks pretty good otherwise.

Can't believe the release date is so close at hand. I look forward to the initial reports of Platinum's quality.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Wow, the in-battle trainer sprites animate? Is this the first we've ever seen of that?

By the way, I'm a bit confused about the whole "Oh boy, Platinum will have a Battle Frontier" thing. How exactly has the northeast island not been a Battle Frontier the whole time?

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic