Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: ASB Suggestion Thread

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: ASB Suggestion Thread

O.O 15 minutes Oslo?

Gonna have to speed that. I did a reffing in 4 minutes back in the day :/ Rabble rabble rabble. I'm gonna hang ten on this convo-its going so many directions.

1) Reffing-as it is now-is like Grey said-a volatile creature. A single instance of a move being used can change drastically due to any number of physical or field effects we do have here in ASB. Ultimately, the ref will make a call that is just and good and the battlers will be able to see their whole battle in a way that they can hopefully lead to victory.

2) Ability tutor shop sounds really good as well, but it will take careful notekeeping to ensure no one Pokemon gets ridiculous abilities-the whole Skill Swap Wonder Guard is still a no, if anyone was considering it.

3) Chobi..I think I have a Adamant Slaking :/ Wanna just take mine and breed it? Lemme check first..

4) Stats are what make the game equal. Since we don't have concrete stats, reasonable judgements are what help ASB stand out. As stated before, beating a fully evolved Garchomp with a Turtwig is epic in ASB because its so unexpected. But that's not to say stats don't help a little. Evolution allows your Pokemon in most cases, to be faster-which always helps.

Timburr may not learn any real new moves (Most Pokemon learn between 1-4 new moves upon evolutions that may or may not be useful) but I bet he can swing that beam harder, now that a) its not wood and b) he's stronger than your average Timburr

5) Too much math to add all stats. Already hate when someone goes on a boost spree >.> Pre game additions will invariably get too complex after a while.

6) My game just stopped working again :/ Unlike last time, where it pissed me off to no avail, I at least know my save data is still there, and its something with the online component.

7) Wonder why the Wi-Fi data keeps erasing..?

8) Better yet, when the hell will Nintendo release a firmware update that allows for PBC on the 3DS so this can stop happening!

9) ???

10) ProfitRAGEQUIT!

Edit: I can 100% prove that if you ever encounter a "Save file cannot be accessed" error, it is completely due to your wi-fi setup :/ PBC for 3DS nees to happen so this error can stop scaring the minds and memories of all players.
    Last edited by DarkestLight; 18th June 2012 at 08:21 PM.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    5) Too much math to add all stats. Already hate when someone goes on a boost spree >.> Pre game additions will invariably get too complex after a while.
    Notwithstanding, incredibly difficult to police. You'd keep track of your own stats, sure, but I know for a fact that refs don't wanna spend half an hour fact-checking before they get into actually writing up the round.
    -Grey

Is ASB Back? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

ya know, I was wondering if we could get a combo-dex like the arena dex where we can post combo moves to create a guideline for people, things like a aura sphere-shadow ball combo called shadow sphere and a description, like the move dex, to help refs and battlers get a general idea on them

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Didn't we previously argue about a combo-dex idea that I suggested?
    Last edited by BTPoke; 7th July 2012 at 09:45 PM.

The Damsel of Disaster! Moderator

This is an old idea. Many times has it been asked for.

There are several hundred thousand combos possible, and while you may call it your shadow sphere, someone else may call it Aura ball. For fairness for all of them, its easier to just record your own combos.

Also, stop using combo's. They suck, and are easily beaten.

Vs Seeker - 99% complete. Click here.

Winner of the 2010 "P for Princess", the 2013 "'Try again?'", and the 2014 "Jury" and "Mod Newbie" Awards!

Ayeun's Safari adventures.

Thread Killer Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

To be quite frank, I don't believe a Combodex idea would be plausible, because then there would be almost and thousands and thousands of combinations that would be possible, especially if some if there are two-move combinations and three-move combinations, so that would be a HUGE headache on the refs to actually try to ref it.

For example (and I'm not calling out these two in particular or anything) but the current round I need to ref between EraGam and Cynder, they both called for combo attacks that I've never seen before. Now I, as a ref, have to present those combos in such a way that seems realistically possible and is satisfactory in both combatants' eyes that I saw the moves done in the way they expected them to work out.

So TL;DR

Combodex is not a good idea; leave combinations open to ref interpretation.

Advanced Trainer

no just a small thing to give examples to provide a guide, all combos dont have to be listed this would just be a help to people who are afraid to try a combo
    also ay I'm gonna beat up your totodile with a combo to prove they don't suck

Elite Trainer

Um Ash, why we actually need a guide for that? Usually the battlers have enough creativity to be able to piece how some attacks would work together in combination. Usually one of the examples I remember about learning about Combos was doing Pokemon Contests from RSE, but I guess that wouldn't really apply here too much now would it?

Does it look like I care? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I have an idea, we could make a training center for people who need help winning their battles(for free) for example lets say that Gigya never won any of his battles and lets say he wants to win one for a change. He could come here and we could have a moderator and head ref have a round of a battle and the moderator and ref help him and give him tips for real battles.

I'm hoping for some criticism so critic me to your hearts content and if you dont want it to be free then we could work out a point system. Thanks for the consideration.

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker
    Adventure, another Pokemon Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a shit.

It's like Rossy, but more! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Whilst I'm here, quick question, do we have to wait until the international release of BW2 before using all these cool tutor moves a lot of Pokemon got. Isn't that what we usually do?

And to critique the above post, winning battles in ASB doesn't exactly rely on skill as much as luck. It really depends what moves you use and the Pokemon you face and training to become a better trainer might not help things in the slightest. I myself have beaten people and lost to people, it's how it works.
    At least, that's how I see it, maybe there's an amazing winning formula that I've totally missed. >_>

Misanthropic Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymore View Post
    Whilst I'm here, quick question, do we have to wait until the international release of BW2 before using all these cool tutor moves a lot of Pokemon got. Isn't that what we usually do?
    They're still technically unavailable to a number of players, which puts them on par with Pokemon Centre moves.

Though.. maybe it's time to allow those too?

Elite Trainer

Well a lot of Gen V Pokemon get Sleep Talk. Archeops gets Roost (lol) and a lot of Pokemon get Stealth Rock again.
    And the Poke Center moves are pretty cool in that it makes my Raichu pretty versatile with how many special moves Pikachu got.

But if we allow certain moves, then there are certain move combination that are illegal, such as Egg moves from different generations or TMs from past generations. It's tricky.

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymore View Post
    But if we allow certain moves, then there are certain move combination that are illegal, such as Egg moves from different generations or TMs from past generations. It's tricky.
    TMs and Egg moves form old gens have always been allowed. I've used Teleport a ton of times since it was a TM in Gen I.

Elite Trainer

Yeah, I'm thinking more competitively so thankfully all Pokemon can use any move it can learn. It's pretty cool.

Elite Trainer

Wasn't there an ASB Game Room/Shop before? What happened to that?

Master Trainer

I was going through to archive recently, and noticed that in the old Egg and Breeding centre, there was an option to breed a pokemon with the 'in house whore Ditto'. Any chance of this making a comeback?

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    I was going through to archive recently, and noticed that in the old Egg and Breeding centre, there was an option to breed a pokemon with the 'in house whore Ditto'. Any chance of this making a comeback?
    That would certainly help if you wanted to pass along Tutored moves from the father and get the same species as a baby Pokemon.

( I don't know why but what I just said kinda makes sense and kinda doesn't )

EDIT: Now I know why, my grammar goes down the crapper when I'm sleep-deprived
    Last edited by Perfect Chaos; 16th July 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    We could potentially bring that back, but charge a little more for it (since you're only providing one pokémon)

Maybe make it so we only have one or two ditto in house, so therefore only one or two people can "use" the ditto at a time... that sounds terrible...
    -Grey

Rawr! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

The only time the Ditto would really come into use is during the tree or with something with branched evolutions, otherwise it's slightly redundant :/

Maybe trainers could rent their Pokemon to be used as 'studs'? Say, if somebody wants a charmander for example, they can pay someone who owns a charmander/charmeleon/charizard a small fee as well as a small fee to the ditto (eg. 2 points each). This would work for someone who wants a specific Pokemon and be beneficial for the owners of too!

That's not necessarily true, Cyn. After all, a few of us have multiple pokémon from the same family just because of size and mobility differences. I've got a charmander and a charizard on my team, for example. Charmander is smaller and much nimbler than his older brother, so he could potentially be a lot more useful in a match in some cases.

Notwithstanding, with Move Tutors being limited to only four slots, you could theoretically have two completely different pokémon despite them being the same species. Darkly's guilty of having multiples on his teams, I know for sure.
    -Grey

Veteran Trainer

Hell yes.
    Chitlin and Gizzard,
    Chaos and Order,
    Summer and Autumn
    SHINING DEATH and Johnathan jones...wait do I still have him?

But yeah, I has multiples cause they help me play out different roles.

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

Elite Trainer

Hey Darkly
    I just met you
    And ASB's crazy
    But July newsletter
    Coming soon, mebbeh?

Veteran Trainer

Just for that, August will never come >.>

Entertaining quotes!

Elite Trainer

We can't do a newsletter for JULY, it's only halfway through.
    DUUUUUH!!!

I Finnished last Moderator

To return to an earlier discussion, what is a combo? I don't even get the difference between a combo and a series of moves or something. Using combos is one of the parts of ASB I don't understand and one of the reasons why I'll never become a ref. If I was a ref I would freak out if somebody used combo because I wouldn't know how to deal with it.

Master Trainer

It's using two moves at the same time. By combining two moves, you can effectively get a different outcome to what you'd get had you used the attacks separately. You also have the bonus of doing two attacks worth of damage in one go, which, at the end of a battle, could be enough to knock the opponent out before they do you.

On the downside, you have two attacks in one slot, so whatever move slot you choose to smush into another, you loose a turn to attack or defend yourself.

How a combo works out, is ultimately down to your own imagination and how well the ref interprets the commands.

Faint Attack is a pretty common move for comboing with, as use Faint Attack to get close to the opponent without being seen.

Say you command Faint Attack then Flame Thrower. You get close on your first turn with the Faint Attack, but on your next turn, your opponent is countering the Flame Thrower with Mirror Coat (say, it's been commanded to Mirror Coat any special attacks). If you put the two into a Combo, then you can effectivly make Flame Thrower part of a physical attack:

Use 'Faint Attack + Flame Thrower', surround yourself in flames when you emerge from the shadows and attack. The pokemon bursts out of nowhere, covered in flames and attacks with both Dark and Fire type.
    Last edited by RaZoR LeAf; 27th July 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You know what should/should not be a thing on here? co-op SZ trips. Has anyone ever suggested that?

Master Trainer

I think it's happened by chance, where two people with the same ref have gone to the same place, the ref has had them encounter each other and work together for a common goal. But there's never been a team up set off together from the start (to my knowledge).

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Chaos View Post
    Wasn't there an ASB Game Room/Shop before? What happened to that?
    I come back, look through properly, and find this! That was my casino. It is still around, and even in my absence, I did check it occasionally, but noone ever used it, so I gave up after a while.

If you want it back, I'm up for creating it again. I was running another site at the same time, I did a playtest for one of the games there, and it was surprisingly popular... But it never caught on over here.

If people want it to happen again, first off, what do you want from it? I can provide multiplayer games, random luck games, or puzzle games... BUT puzzle games would require significantly more work with the mods, probably creating more threads for it.

[14:48:30] .:- Steampunk Angel -:. {{I love Ben}} says:
    oh chaos your awesome lol

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Is it possible to seperate the battles that are currently going from the ones waiting on a ref/opponent?

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    I come back, look through properly, and find this! That was my casino. It is still around, and even in my absence, I did check it occasionally, but noone ever used it, so I gave up after a while.

If you want it back, I'm up for creating it again. I was running another site at the same time, I did a playtest for one of the games there, and it was surprisingly popular... But it never caught on over here.

If people want it to happen again, first off, what do you want from it? I can provide multiplayer games, random luck games, or puzzle games... BUT puzzle games would require significantly more work with the mods, probably creating more threads for it.
    Lo and behold, we both have "Chaos" in our name too. Great minds think alike and choose similar names it seems

I'm up for bringing it back, just for bringing a randomness factor to earning some extra points. Reffing and battling aren't all the reliable tbh since the battler and refs themselves disappear all of a sudden here and there (I'm guilty of this too)

Master Trainer

Seeing as there's a breeding centre now, and we can have pokemon pass on their tutored moves to offspring, I think it would be a good idea to list all the movs that have previously or are currently tutorable (including Gym TM's) and what pokemon are/were capable of learning them, so if anyone decides to breed a pokemon, they can see who else may be able to learn it.

For instance, My Steelix has Coil. The requirements for learning it were that it could learn both Bind and Constrict (or something like that). If I wanted to breed Steelix with another pokemon, I wouldn't know what the requirements were for learning the move, so I wouldn't be able to choose a pokemon to breed it onto. You catch my drift?

Veteran Trainer

o.o?

If Steelix is female, baby no get moves.
    If Steelix is male, baby gets move if baby is an Onix . I believe it was something super simple like that. Grey, hit 'em with the specifics!

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    Is it possible to seperate the battles that are currently going from the ones waiting on a ref/opponent?
    Just re-suggesting this, since I never heard an answer.

Veteran Trainer

I dun think its possible, Since that would mean creating a separate section, and I think we only have sticky vs unsticky :/ I'll take a look at it though.

Entertaining quotes!

Elite Trainer

I suppose having a separate section that challenges can be issued can be created and once a ref + opponent has been found, it can be moved to the main section. But it will still be quite a hassle on the mods who already do this, that and the other thing too. Easier way to identify is to update the title of the thread when people volunteer, which most people do anyway.

Out of curiosity, how often are finished/dead battles moved into the archive?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

When I have a battle that is waiting on an opponent, and other people post a challenge, I consider it likely that mine wasn't seen.

Advanced Trainer

I would like to suggest adding a sz profile to the trainer card, something that gives the basic range of abilities that you as a trainer have, so that refs such as oslo and bt can more easily trip us up, also it will set a character that you can use along with weapons (swords to shurikens) that you can use in the sz, I have one that I'm working on currently and will probably post it even if this isn't mandatory/recommended
    (if there's something about this I missed can someone tell me)
    also my character is keeping well within what has been seen in the pokemon universe

Elite Trainer

I think the basic point of an SZ adventure is to basically use your own Pokemon in order to help move the adventure along. Basic things you could do as a Trainer is maybe do any actions that doesn't involve the usage of a weapon or a special skill that's innate to the Trainer.

While what you say is true in the anime Ash, I can agree that its pretty silly/ridiculous that those kinda events even take place in the anime. And I think it's more right that we use it as a real-life basis on how you can act in a Safari Zone than to out right go based on what they show in the anime. Its more fun just to rely and trust on your Pokemon skills/abilities to get out of sticky situations than to have a "If you want something done, gotta do it yourself"

That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Hey all.

I've got the casino back up and running, and it's even drawing in customers. This means I'm potentially looking for new games. Please note, I'm not interested in fully fleshed out games: I have design goals in mind. And lots of maths. DL can confirm this. (And even after he's seen the maths, he's willing to play the game, so they can't be brilliant for the house). I have an idea on how to do some games with no maths in preparing them, but they require multiple people. This is the only way I can think of to do blackjack at this point in time.

One thing I'm wondering about is unique prizes. The Shards/Tokens are an obvious example of this. The games had a few specific pokemon that were difficult to obtain (abra/dratini) or impossible to obtain (porygon) outside of the casino, as well as some TMs, so that might be an option. If there's anything else that people are interested in, now's the oppurtunity to ask. Remember that these will still be random: DL walked out with 4 tokens (by exchanging shards mostly), while Oslo walked out with none (coz he blocked off shards...)