Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?

Default where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?

i have all 16 badges and i'm currently running around trying to catch entei with dogcatcher the smeargle. after that, i'll probably go after latios and grind my pokemon some levels for the elite 4 rematch.
    Last edited by kainashi; 26th March 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Pokemon Heroine Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?

People (including Yours Truly) have been saying what they've been doing in their games in Darth CookieMonster's "HG/SS is OUT!" topic. Now I'm not sure where to post that info.

Anyhoo, I'm below Goldenrod City, about to level Muscle (the Machop you get from Jose in the department store if you give him a Drowzee) to level 18. I'm thinking about going after Whitney and Co. in the Gym after that.

The rest of my crew consists of Croconaw, Pidgeotto, Geodude, Flaaffy, and Oddish.

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex's Signature (Epic Games Forums)
    As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.
    Wondering Where I Got the Pics in My Avatar From?

Signature © 2010 Starry Might. All Rights Reserved.

Cloyster Moderator

Well, now we have an actual thread that says what it is in the title.

Also have all 16 badges. I haven't beaten Red yet, but I'll get to that. Currently fighting in the Battle Frontier. I guess I'll go back and level grind at Mt. Silver when I fell like it.

Just took on Red again. Dang he's hard. Back to level grinding.
    Last edited by Jeff; 26th March 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I've been going fairly slowly...I just released the Legendary Beasts from Burned Tower, and then my Flaaffy and Graveler got pretty thoroughly mopped by Morty. I am now in the process of raising Togepi, whom I'd completely neglected before now; I was very happy to discover that it conveniently has a strong Psychic-type attack as an Egg move. It will probably be a Togetic before I try Morty again.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Exploring around and leveling up before fighting Whitney. I'm planning on getting my guys (Zubat, Pidgeotto, Croconaw, Bellsprout, and Flaaffy) up to level 20 then trying my best. I also have Togepi in the Walker so it can get super happy, evolve, and go into the box.
    I've dedicated myself to the craft of music education. What does this mean? I'm going to be stuck getting paid next to nothing, dealing with obnoxious teenagers and bad oboe players, all for the sake of art.

And I couldn't be happier.

The cult of personality..... Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Finally got my copy in the mail yesterday from Amazon. Didn't play it overly long due to the fact that my DS isn't in the best of shape. One of the hinges on the system is snapped so as a result it won't stay open. Got it sitting nearby while waiting for the super glue to dry. I figured for $5 I can do a quick fix and wait another 24 hours as opposed to sending the damn thing to Redmond for $85 worth of repairs since the place where it's snapped will require an entirely new screen :-/

Anyway to answer the question I've only just begun due to my painfully short time with the game. Just gave Elm the egg and I'm now sitting just west of New Bark with Totodile, Pidgy and Geodude. Hoping to get a little more time with the game after work tonight once I'm sure that the glue is totally dry. Tested the system a little while ago and it looks like it's holding at least. Only real issue with my DS now is the fact that opening and closing it no longer has a smooth motion.......oh well :-/
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~
    3DS Friend Code: 3196 4256 7846
    XBL: Enigma1985 NYJ
    Steam: enigmaticwonder
    FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~enigmaticwonder85

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
    Hide in plain sight.
    Never compromise the Brotherhood.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Even though I pre-ordered my copy through Gamestop, I've had to take it slow due to grad school obligations. At present, I'm in Goldenrod working my way through Whitney's Gym. It's amazing how much harder the game when I force myself to keep a well-balanced team, actually... even the junior trainers (well, "Beauties" in this case) have every one of my team members out-leveled. Whitney's Miltank is going to be a major hassle, I'm sure.

(Thread is officially approved, ladies and gents.)
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

I got mine Yesterday. Just whomped Whitney. Nowhere near as hard as it used to be but Milk Drink will get annoying. A decent fighter = win.

My team is balanced though i only have 5+ a HM slave atm (Geodude, Quilava, Flaafy, Wooper and Zubat) but apart from Geodude (who's 20) theyre all around lvl 16 and a few like Zubat havent really started getting their decent attacks yet so are being carried. And i dont plan on keeping Flaafy.

Afterworld ~ Chapter 2 | Blood Bowl ~ Chapter 3
    If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Im chillin, trying out this POkeathlon crap before I sit down and grind a bit so I can take on the E4 iwth a decent team-and not this crap of Meganium, Ampharos, Pidgeot and umm Sandslash. Oh and Gyarados shiny for HMness. Yeah Im seriously gonna make a much better in game team so I dun hafta put up with this win by 15 potion crap ever again.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Cloyster Moderator

Well, I'm close. The team's up to lv 76, except for Golem, who's lv 75. Got Red down to his Charizard, which was in the red after Crobat used Fly. Crobat was still at just about full HP, so I figured one more hit would do Charizard in, but on his turn he got me with one Blast Burn, I really should have used a revive. And Pikachu can still do a large amount of damage to Golem with Iron Tail, freaking rat.

Edit: ...!

Game time 98:10
    Last edited by Jeff; 27th March 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

How did you level up to 76? Random grinding somewhere? If so, where? If not, how?

Hardcore Casual Gamer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I've gotten all 16 badges already, but I'm currently taking a break from training before training even more in preparation for the fight against Red. That, and I kind of need a map of Mt. Silver for where Moltres is in the mountain before taking on Red. So, I'm kinda waiting until I get an instruction book or until GameFAQs puts up some... sensible directions of where I need to go.

Cloyster Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tales View Post
    How did you level up to 76? Random grinding somewhere? If so, where? If not, how?
    Just plain old level grinding at Mt. Silver.

Veteran Trainer

Ok. Got my Lapras. Got my Marowak. In game team is gonna be nice :O. Now Im just levelling. Guess when they hit 40, coupled with Amphy and Pidgeot, I should be good for the league. Ice Beam love....

Still need a fifth...no Idea who that will be. Dun wanna level up my HMer too much, but Gyara does have his moments..

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Ah, thought so, thanks. You may want to level them to at least 45 depending on your moves. Lance has 3 Dragonites and it's a pain

Advanced Trainer

New highlights of my journey so far (as far as I can remember):

(1) Beat Whitney and got the Plain Badge. (I had to support Muscle/Machop with a Potion, but two Low Kicks dropped Miltank pretty easily otherwise.)

(2) Passed through National Park, but went back in on Saturday for the contest. (I didn't seriously compete...I just caught a Paras for my collection.)

(3) Boxed Muscle.

(4) Caught Sudowoodo.

(5) Caught Vulpix (who I plan to raise into Ninetales).

(6) Reached Ecruteak City.

(7) Went back to Bill's house in Goldenrod and got Eevee. (I've boxed him for now, but I plan to eventually trade him to my "Platinum" game long enough to raise him into a Leafeon, and then trade him back to my team.)

Oh, and in between (4) and (5), I did a double battle with two Beauties below Ecruteak (Callie and Kassandra), and it wound up being the most epically ridiculous fight I've had in "SS" so far...and maybe in my entire "Pokemon" playing days.

From what I can remember, I had Flaffy and Oddish against them, and things were pretty normal...until one Clefable hit Oddish (who I had use Acid) used Encore on him. That actually wouldn't have been so bad...

...If the other Clefable hadn't hit him with Disable!

So guess what? All Oddish could do was STRUGGLE!

And then, at one point, one of the Clefables used Metronome (the second time one of them did so in the fight) on Flaaffy...AND USED SACRED FIRE!

It did little damage, but Flaaffy got Burned.

So after struggling along with them and supporting them with Super Potions, I eventually subbed them both out. First, I switched Oddish to Geodude and used Magnitude, then switched Flaaffy to Pidgeotto to prevent collateral damage to my side. They soon finished off their last Pokemon (one of the Beauties' Wigglytuffs) with Sand-Attack and Magnitude.

WOW.
    Last edited by Starry Might; 29th March 2010 at 12:00 PM.

As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.

Veteran Trainer

Now Im up to my Rival Battle with a horridly underleveled team. Lvl 33 Hera, Lapras and Maro and a lvl 40 Amphy and Pidgeot. Sadly enough I whipped my Rival until Typholsion came and said "HI I HAZ LAVA PLUME?"

All that means is that Perish Song goes into effect immediately when Typhol comes out. Sweet.

Entertaining quotes!

Im 7 Gyms in, just hittign the Radio Tower and my team are all at a maximum of 28. Just replaced Quagsire with Lapras since im keeping Golem and dont want 2 ground types. I may end up switching back tbh but for now ill see how Lapras works out. Im also considering rolling Lugia in my main team, possibly to replace Ampharos since its not often i use Pure Electrics though that would give me 2 Flyers....

Currently im using.....
    Tauros, Quilava, Graveller, Lapras, Flaffy, Crobat.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Veteran Trainer

Reached a point in grinding where I'm irate at the game for not having a decent leveling area for 30+ Pokemon outside of Gravelers that like to go BOOM ><. Also mad at whoever thought it was funny for me to need Heart Scale to regive Hera Night Slash back, the hell he didn't have it to begin with, I dunno.

Yeah, I beat my Rival with that underdeveloped team, I have no fear about the E4 now-mainly cause Ima level til I get them all to 45. But that's where I need someones help. I need to trade that Pichu over-cause it has something I need. Id do the Arceus and the umm..wtf was the other thing, the Jirachi? as well right now, but most importantly, is that Pichu. I want it in here nao before I continue levelling.

Entertaining quotes!

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Levelgrinding is the suck. I mostly beat the game (in previous editions, since I don't have HGSS yet) and then restart.

I want SS

Cloyster Moderator

Skipped the Unown sidequest originally, so I'm going back and doing it now. I have 15 forms, and two pages of notes in the report.

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

I got SS 3 days ago, just got to Goldenrod after being pummeled by Bugsy, then showing that Scyther who's boss :3

I chose Chikorita, but had no problem with Falkner since I got a Pikachu from the Yellow Forest on the Pokewalker. I also used Pikachu as bait for Bugsy's Scyther. I let him U-turn me, and static paralyzed it in the death process :3 It therefore became slower and didn't U-turn as much. Silly Bugsy...

I currently have Bayleef, Poliwag (I fished through hundreds of Magikarps to find it, damnit!), Pikachu, Pidgeotto and Ratatta. My 6th member changes, but is currently Sentret, just for HM uses, but was Slowpoke for a bit. Just caught a Drowzee, so might start using that...

I don't plan to keep Ratatta. It can sit in my box for eternity once I find a replacement. And probably not Pidgeotto, since I don't tend to use flying types.

I can't wait til I can fetch me a Sneasel. And omg, Goldenrod City is HUGE D:

I caught all the Unowns in Crystal, I dunno whether I can be bothered to do it again... It is weirdly tempting... ><

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by ChobiChibi View Post
    I chose Chikorita, but had no problem with Falkner since I got a Pikachu from the Yellow Forest on the Pokewalker. I also used Pikachu as bait for Bugsy's Scyther. I let him U-turn me, and static paralyzed it in the death process :3 It therefore became slower and didn't U-turn as much. Silly Bugsy...
    Wow, interesting! (I dunno if I'll do the Pokewalker yet or not, myself.)

Anyhow, the most notable events that happened to me since last time:

(1) Vulpix is now caught up with the rest of my crew.

(2) Oddish turned into Gloom.

(3) Did the Burned Tower (I'll have to come back later with both Rock Smash AND Strength to fully clear it, though.)

(4) (Spoiler:) Beat the Team Rocket guy at the Dance Hall. (I've decided to use Spoiler Tags for story stuff that's definitely changed from the original "G/S/C/" from here on out.

I haven't played my "SoulSilver" since last Saturday, though...I need to get back to it!

Currently bashing my head against the E4 with minimal cash and only a few heals/revives since its the best way to get good high XP numbers. Using this method i can reliably beat the first three of the 4, occaisionally getting to Lance. I know Lapras' Ice Beam is enough to one-shot a Dragonite its the fact shes not quick enough to hit it before she gets Thundered to oblivion.

Once im done there im gonna spend some time in the Battle Frontier so i can get some BP for certain Attacks. Tauros is gonna get Outrage and i need a few Elemental Punches.

Im also in desperate need of a Trade atm, either to evolve Graveller into a Golem so he's more effective or get the Gible i have waiting on Platinum over to SS so i can have a usefull and fast ground type.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Just beat Surge last night, which was impressive seeing as my current team has a serious electric weakness. I need to edit my team a bit, but haven't decided who to take out and what to replace with. I have two flying types and one water. Might take Togetic out, not sure.

Making my way to Saffron now... yay.

[Annie] - Kurosakura says: Dru Dru, your RP's not rated M XD
    Drusie says: Oh fuck.
    Headbutting a car = not fun! says: It is now.
    -------------------------------

3DS Code: 5300-9721-4472
    Switch Code: 1866-7493-0014
    PoGo Code: 5716-4300-0144
    Steam: Jessyrah

Hardcore Casual Gamer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

After a test battle against Red, I've decided to make a completely new team specifically built to battle him. Problem is the team in question I have in mind will take quite a while to make since I intend to raise them starting from level 1, which means a whole lot of breeding and even more training. Joy. On the plus side, it gives me the chance to upgrade my Safari Zone specs and fill out the Pokédex a little bit more.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

So, I just caught Zapdos, and I am looking to go to Cerulean cave next to catch mewtwo. I figure that'll give me an edge in beating Red once i catch Mewtwo and level him up so that he'll learn Psychic. Red was tough because I haven't leveled some guys to where his levels are, so it is going to be a top thing on my list to get my guys up to level 70 and higher.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I've just recently defeated Team Rocket at the Radio Tower, and then made my way to Blackthorn. I wanted an edge against the dragons in the Gym, so I went to Goldenrod and played Voltorb Flip until I had enough Coins for an Ice Beam TM...and then, when I had it, I discovered that Togetic can't learn the move. (Graveler and Ampharos can't either, but that didn't surprise me.) So I looked through my PC boxes, found a Staryu I had caught in Route 47, taught it Surf and Ice Beam and am back to playing Voltorb Flip so I can round out its moveset with Thunderbolt. Once I've got that, I'll go to Ilex Forest for Spc.Atk EV training (Surfing in the small pond gets you encounters with Psyduck and the rare Golduck.) Hopefully, at some point Fisherman Tully will call to tell me he's found a Water Stone. That would please me.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Happy Re: where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?

Last night, I've beaten the Elite 4. I'm about to go to the S.S. Aqua.

My current team is Meganium, Raikou, Togetic, Jirachi, Butterfree and Heracross. They are around level 65-66.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Haven't read shit in this topic.

Just got SoulSilver today.

NOSTALGIA HERE I COME!!!!!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    Haven't read [crud] in this topic.

Just got SoulSilver today.

NOSTALGIA HERE I COME!!!!!
    Have fun!

Anyhow, I'm still grinding in preparation for Morty and Co., but something notable did happen to me yesterday...I bumped into Entei in the first patch of grass on the route (dunno the number) west of Ecruteak, and boy was I surprised!

After a bit of deliberation, I was like "Ah, what the heck?", and tossed a Fast Ball...and for a moment there, it looked like I could have actually caught him, cause the ball shook a couple times!

But alas, he broke out and got away.

It would have been EPIC if I had succeeded, though! Oh well, back to the grind!

Banned

Happy Re: where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?

Looks wonderful.
    www.voguesale.com

Veteran Trainer

I got all 16 badges, and I got Lugia and Zappy and I almost had Latias and Moltres I can't find cause I'm so mad I just got Rock Climb, and I hafta go through every damn cave again to get all those other frig gin items. I gotta do Rock Tunnel now-and then Dark Cave. Ugh -.-

Speaking of, ummm I haven't received a single Dusk Stone, and does anyone know how to get that item over to the right of the middle Mt Mortar Entrance? Kinda buggin me since I can't get over there. And is it true I can't find lvl 67 Dittos in Cerulean Cave anymore u_u. Sadness.?

Oh and haahaha I ran through MT silver catching a bunch of stuff and I ran up these one set of cliffs and I found Red and I battled him and his Pikachu was on lvl 88. I laughed and ran away. By ran away I mean turned off my DS(I saved, not that silly)

Entertaining quotes!

Cloyster Moderator

I got it, you have to go in the cave and come out a separate entrance that puts you right out in the area where the item is. Yeah, pretty vague, I don't remember the details.

Advanced Trainer

Okay, here are my milestones:

(1) Vulpix got Flamethrower, so now she can do some damage.

(2) Geodude evolved into Graveler. (I should trade-evolve her into Golem soon.)

(3) Beat the Ecruteak Gym. Most of the opposition wasn't to bad. and even Morty's Gengar wasn't too bad except it was a battle of attrition of sorts...

I sent in Flaaffy and had her use Thunder Wave to paralyze him (that messed him up several times in the fight), then I sent in Pidgeotto (figuring her Normal side would protect her from Shadow Ball), and used a mix of Sand-Attack (I messed him up pretty good with it...all his Sucker Punches and most of his Hypnosises failed!), Gust (STAB), and Twister (flinching attempts) on him, but it took awhile, partly because of low damage and partly 'cause (I think) first he ate a Sitrus Berry, and then later, Morty healed him with a Hyper Potion (at least it wasn't a Full Restore...THANK GOODNESS)! But I won!

Now I'm in Olivine City, doing the Lighthouse.

Veteran Trainer

Yeah ok.

1) At Mt Silver. Training. Half disheartened, cause I tried time traveling to get the Gym Leaders numbers and I HATE DAISY cause she keeps time locking me out. I want to battle Green dammit.

2) Pondering what Pokemon I should train, for a better team to rumble against. Maybe just 3 of every type and mix n match from there.

3) Looking for Chansey. Sees its in a swarm. Now don't care about Chansey so much -.-

4) Still FlyPikahunting...-.-

5) Im down to help anyone with trades as I have about 4 or 5 that need to occur

Entertaining quotes!

Did the dew Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Making my way to Blackthorn. Can't wait to teach sudowoodo wood hammer/till it learns hammer arm, then I'm changing it's nickname.

Cookie to who a guess what I'm changing it to.

Currently going after Blaine.

Got Surfachu, Modest Nature and HP Fire and levelled it to 45, looking for a Thunderstone and probably something to repace HP since its not that effective even against Grass types.

Now starting to level Aerodactyl and have learned that my team, has a definite weakness to Water...

In need of finding an Earthquake TM since my Garchomp doesnt have a Ground attack and also a few more TM's here or there as well as BP for Tauros's Outrage.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

I just got both games, I'm currently working on HeartGold, but I barely got into it, I just got past the first rival battle with a L10 Cyndaquil (planning to get the other two starters using my DS, the other DS in my house, and SoulSilver, so that I get all three Pokemon in both games). Smokescreen owned Totodile.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Still not reading much in this topic to avoid spoilers, but I just made it to Mt. Mortar for the first time and... My team is all at about LV30.

On a scale of 1-10, how fucked am I?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!