Thread: Nintendo wants to take $350 dollars of your money!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Nintendo wants to take $350 dollars of your money!

I figured I would make a topic about the announcement today, and soon to be release of the Wii U, the main thing today was the launch ( November 18th ) and the fact they are releasing 2 SKUs, a $300 dollar white one, and a $350 dollar black one. And not only does the black one look cooler, but it gives you more space, access to a rewards program, and Nintendoland. Seeing how it was also announced the games are going to cost $60 bucks each now. You would actually save more buying the $350 dollar one, than the $300 dollar one and Nintendoland separately.

Anyway what does everyone think? Is it on your Christmas list? And what SKU do you plan to get?

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: Nintendo wants to take $350 dollars of your money!

Hell no. I want a WiiU, but not this year. That shit can wait a year :/ And they're moving into standard Xbox price range now? Nope. My big thing with ninty was that their systems were always cheap (250 max) now they're like everyone else, and that's a no no for me. Not overpaying for any system, dun care if Pikmin 3 is on it ;_;

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

I Finnished last Moderator

Why not. I bought my FIRST Playstation 3 for about 700 €. It got broken later and I bought a new one for 270 €. Additionally, I have two different kinds of functional PS2 and two Nintendo functional 64s.

Yep, I'm a rich Finnish bastard. But seriously, if only the release games rock I'm going to improve my console collection as soon as possible. And release games didn't even rock with Playstation 3.

for all seasons Moderator

Once again, Australians get buggered royally.

$349.95 Australian for the standard, $429.95 for the deluxe. In the past, I've said screw you Nintendo, I'm not paying your inflated prices, but time and time again, I do anyway. I'd like to say I'll wait for a price drop on this one, and I truly believe it this time.

On the plus side, at least by being an idiot and paying full price (or more accurately, getting my fiancee to pay full price for me), I got those neat ambassador games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I get every console as soon as it has two exclusive titles I want. So of course I'll get the Wii U and I'll get it right away as every Nintendo console.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive. No plans to get the system yet, but I'd say the unmitigated fury of the Sony and Microsoft fanboys of the Internet collectively shitting themselves has already footed a few of those $10 differences in new game price.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Товарищ Красный Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

The WiiU is actually quite fun to play. I love how even the simple games can be enjoyable. Like the Wii, it actually pushes you to play with other people. Now, I'm one of those solo gamers that like to get lost in RPGs, but I still love the multiplayer uses for the screen.

Also, heard they have been having a hard time keeping up production. I guess it is selling well enough.
    THE MOST AWESOME GUY ON THE FORUMS!!

Winner of the 2009 Zing, the 2010 Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!, the 2011 Conventioneers, the 2012 Me loved ponies first, and the 2013 Cool Unown Awards

"Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it." - A Softer World

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I have no desire to get a Wii U in the foreseeable future. There just aren't any good new original games.

There's Nintendoland which is just a minigame collection

ZombiU is an uninspired Zombie Survival game.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii U is just the most painful thing. Seriously Nintendo. At least change it up with new ideas or locations or just SOMETHING because I am getting surprisingly sick of the Mushroom Kingdom after 20+ years.

The rest of the games available at launch are minigame compilations and ports.

In fact, the 3DS is pretty lacklustre too. I still get by with my trusty DS, which for me is probably the best portable gaming device I've ever had, thanks to the wide assortment of quality games.

It pretty much stems back to the fact - Nintendo doesn't know how to generate new ideas and adapt to 2012. The only new IP the Wii really brought were "Miis"...

Depressing, isn't it?

The real Shonta Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    In fact, the 3DS is pretty lacklustre too. I still get by with my trusty DS, which for me is probably the best portable gaming device I've ever had, thanks to the wide assortment of quality games.

It pretty much stems back to the fact - Nintendo doesn't know how to generate new ideas and adapt to 2012. The only new IP the Wii really brought were "Miis"...

Depressing, isn't it?
    They have been focusing more on reviving some of their other IPs. We finally got a new Kid Icarus game and you still say the 3DS has been lackluster? Paper Mario: Sticker Star also looks like a winner, and it's a proper RPG unlike Super Paper Mario.

Not to mention their main strategy has been to draw in families and non-gamers (which is still working).

I enjoyed my 3DS when I had it. They've been getting good content for their online store.

Also, I thought that people wanted content from 3rd party developers.

Nintendo's just off to a slow start, that's all. It happens to a lot of new consoles. I'll give them a year for the 3DS and two for the WiiU for them to improve. They'll get better.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I have no desire to get a Wii U in the foreseeable future. There just aren't any good new original games.

There's Nintendoland which is just a minigame collection

ZombiU is an uninspired Zombie Survival game.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii U is just the most painful thing. Seriously Nintendo. At least change it up with new ideas or locations or just SOMETHING because I am getting surprisingly sick of the Mushroom Kingdom after 20+ years.

The rest of the games available at launch are minigame compilations and ports.

Depressing, isn't it?
    I can't agree really. I still enjoy Nintendo's brand of titles more than the majority of other games. To me it's the console to get. My PS3 is lying around unusued and I haven't gotten any games for it in the past two years. I never got the XBox360 to start with due to lack of exclusive titles. PC and Nintendo is all the gamer needs.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

Maybe eventually when it comes down in price... But my Wii sits unused (at least by me, my housemates sometimes play Mario Kart) and my Xbox reigns supreme...

ZombiU looked kinda good actually, saw some previews at the Expo. Like the idea of controlling a zombie hoard to kill yer friends...

Also, some of the big games are coming to Wii U too. Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 will be out on release. Oooh! Which is tomorrow over here! Didn't know that...

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

I picked mine up (rather easily, actually) on Black Friday. Bought NSMBU along with it, giving me two games. Surprisingly enough, Nintendo Land is a lot more fun than I thought it'd be, and I actually spend more time with it if I've got a group of people playing with me.

For solo adventures, I usually end up playing Mario on the gamepad while the TV's being used by the roommates. I didn't think I'd use the off-TV feature a lot, but it's really quite handy, especially with having only one TV that all the systems are hooked up to.

The gamepad's terrible battery life doesn't phase me much, because I rarely play for more than two hours at a time if I'm by myself. Though it will become a big burden if I play a lot of Luigi's Ghost Mansion (easily the best game of the compilation) with friends.

I would very much like a game to come out that utilizes both the gamepad and the Wii remote + nunchuk combo for single-player. It'd be amazing to have the gamepad on it's dock, sitting upright, displaying some necessary HUD elements while you yourself are free to use the other controller to control your character like in Skyward Sword. Not having to pause the action just to look at your inventory would be amazing.

Penny Arcade also brought up using the gamepad as a mini DM screen for D&D, but I think an indie developer could take that idea even further and create an app that displays DM info (dice rolls, character sheets, etc.) on the gamepad while projecting anything else that's pertinent to the quest (maps, inventory) on the television screen.
    -Grey

Товарищ Красный Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    I picked mine up (rather easily, actually) on Black Friday. Bought NSMBU along with it, giving me two games. Surprisingly enough, Nintendo Land is a lot more fun than I thought it'd be, and I actually spend more time with it if I've got a group of people playing with me.

For solo adventures, I usually end up playing Mario on the gamepad while the TV's being used by the roommates. I didn't think I'd use the off-TV feature a lot, but it's really quite handy, especially with having only one TV that all the systems are hooked up to.

The gamepad's terrible battery life doesn't phase me much, because I rarely play for more than two hours at a time if I'm by myself. Though it will become a big burden if I play a lot of Luigi's Ghost Mansion (easily the best game of the compilation) with friends.

I would very much like a game to come out that utilizes both the gamepad and the Wii remote + nunchuk combo for single-player. It'd be amazing to have the gamepad on it's dock, sitting upright, displaying some necessary HUD elements while you yourself are free to use the other controller to control your character like in Skyward Sword. Not having to pause the action just to look at your inventory would be amazing.

Penny Arcade also brought up using the gamepad as a mini DM screen for D&D, but I think an indie developer could take that idea even further and create an app that displays DM info (dice rolls, character sheets, etc.) on the gamepad while projecting anything else that's pertinent to the quest (maps, inventory) on the television screen.
    I completely agree. The amount of potential in the gamepad is overflowing.
    THE MOST AWESOME GUY ON THE FORUMS!!

Winner of the 2009 Zing, the 2010 Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!, the 2011 Conventioneers, the 2012 Me loved ponies first, and the 2013 Cool Unown Awards

"Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it." - A Softer World

Paper Sailor of Idiocy Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

The price of the console and games in conjunction with the lack of games is making me wait to buy it. Both problems should be solved in time, right?

I am exited for the new Zelda and Smash Bros games coming out further down along the road, however. Namco Bandai is aiding in the new Smash Bros (for the WiiU and 3DS), which seems promising. Also, Tales Of characters-*shot*

Quote Originally Posted by ChobiChibi View Post
    Your Paras is like the most badass Paras that ever existed.
    -Casual Day-Art Dump-VS. Seeker-

I'm sure I will pick it up eventually, but right now the only game I really want to play for it is the Luigi mini game. It looks very similar to Pac Man Vs. one of the best multiplayer games on the Gamecube. I already own a 360, PS3, and decently powerful PC so until more platform exclusives like Zelda or a 3D Mario I'll stick with what I have.
    CHOMP~

Cloyster Moderator

I've heard good things about Miiverse, and Nintendo TVii sounds kinda cool (when they finally release it). Also, even though it's a little thing, I'm liking the idea of being able to turn on the system and TV with the same controller.

Of course, the games are the big thing. NSMBU is definitely a must have for me, since it has plenty of throwbacks to Super Mario World, to the point where some people have said that it should have been called New Super Mario World.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

And then what? New Super Mario 64?

...Actually, yes. I want that.

Make it happen, Nintendo.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!