Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Type Pokemon Playthroughs!!

The Damsel of Disaster! Moderator

Default Re: Single Type Pokemon Playthroughs!!

Blade, good luck vs red!

Vs Seeker - 99% complete. Click here.

Winner of the 2010 "P for Princess", the 2013 "'Try again?'", and the 2014 "Jury" and "Mod Newbie" Awards!

Ayeun's Safari adventures.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Thank you.

I know it's possible. We'll be ready when the time comes.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Veteran Trainer

This... ISN'T... over.

Name: Ethan (I like keeping things canon.)
    Type: Water
    Reason: You know why.
    Badges: 10
    Progress:

It's been a long time, so I have probably forgotten a lot, but whatever. It happens.

So I was on the ship, wiping out Trainers and Sailors, when I got roped into rescuing some little girl. Fair enough, it probably paid well. If not, Mr. Fish can always sink the ship later. Anyway, I arrived in Vermilion and was set on starting Kanto from Pallet Town, so I headed to Diglett's Ca-

SNORLAX IN MY WAY.

Fuck, guess I need a Poke Flute. Wait, there's no Poke Flute in this game? Goddamn it... But I do have a radio...! Guess I'm going to Lavendar Town to upgrade my rad-

POWER FAILURE.

Son of a bitch, fine. I'll go to the Power Plant then and see what's going on. I'm sure I can figure out a solution while I'm there-

THIEF IN CERULEAN CITY.

So, ANYWAY, one questionable act of genocide later, the Power Plant was running again, my radio was upgraded, Snorlax was gone, and I'd made it to Pallet Town. From there I stormed Route 1, Viridian Forest, Route 2, and then Pewter City. From there, I took on Brock's Gym. Don't remember who was the biggest pain in the ass there, but at Mr. Fish's level, nothing really stood a chance anyway. Badge for me.

After that, it was time to move on to Route 3. Mt. Moon loomed ahead, where Silver wanted to fight me again. I just bitchslapped him aside and kept going, down Route 4 and back into Cerulean City. A short while of scouting later, and I went up the Nugget Bridge, checked out Bill's house, and scared Misty's date away.

Time for another Badge. With no Normal resistance like Brock had, Misty's Trainers were quickly beaten, and Misty herself fell faster than anybody I'd faced since probably Pryce. My second Kanto Badge in hand, I strayed from the beaten path and took Routes 9 and 10 to the Rock Tunnel, where I cleared out more Trainers and eventually closed one circuit by reaching Lavendar Town, where I saved my game. I've proven my power so far in Kanto, but with the Electric and Grass Gyms my next challenges, the future remains unclear...

Team:

Mr. Fish, LV81 Magikarp(M)
    -Bounce
    -Tackle
    -Flail
    -???
    The Champion.

Gobblegut, LV18 Croconaw(M)
    -Surf
    -Whirlpool
    -Waterfall
    -Rage
    The boat. Has evolved do to unexpected Double Battles.

HM Owl, LV4 Hoothoot(M)
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Foresight
    -Fly
    The plane.

HM Weed, LV3 Bellsprout(F)
    -Vine Whip
    -Flash
    -Cut
    -???
    The chisel.

HM Rock, LV6 Geodude(M)
    -Headbutt
    -Strength
    -Dig
    -Rock Smash
    The hammer.

Mrs. Fish, LV30 Gyarados(F)
    -Bite
    -Dragon Rage
    -Leer
    -Twister
    The Champienne.

To be continued...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer

I'M NOT DEAD YET.

Badges: 16
    Progress:

Disregard the previous message, Lt. Surge and his gang are pushovers. Sans a stray Magnemite/Magneton here and there, everything died easily enough. Same with Erika and Sabrina. And every route up to Fuschia, Janine's Gym, the ocean around Seafoam Islands and Cinnabar, and south of Pallet Town. Then I met Blue on Cinnabar and he said to fuck off until I beat Blaine.

...Well, Water-types are good against Blaine, right?

With that done, I finally took on Blue in Viridian City. No real comments because I forgot the fight - it was like 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I got a call from Oak, but I haven't seen him yet. That'll be my next stop... Then it'll be time to head to Mt. Silver.

Team:

Mr. Fish, LV94 Magikarp(M)
    -Bounce
    -Tackle
    -Flail
    -???
    The Champion.

-Surf
    -Whirlpool
    -Waterfall
    -Rage
    The boat.

HM Owl, LV4 Hoothoot(M)
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Foresight
    -Fly
    The plane.

-Vine Whip
    -Flash
    -Cut
    -???
    The chisel.

HM Rock, LV6 Geodude(M)
    -Headbutt
    -Strength
    -Dig
    -Rock Smash
    The hammer.

-Bite
    -Dragon Rage
    -Leer
    -Twister
    The Champienne.

To be continued...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Rawr! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Name: Lizz
    Type Steel
    Badges 4

Holy hell, I haven't updated since I beat Team Rocket in that ice town (can't remember the name D: ) and I seem to have misplaced my DS. Anyway, I've completed everything but Red and Mt. Silver, so I'll just post my final team since I did everything so long ago. (No levels, can't find DS D: ) After this playthrough, I have to say that Steels are now one of my favourite types. Awesomesauce.

Titanium

Rocky

Stryke

Steve

Escala

Lucario

I hacked him in, since I could't be bothered breeding for a lucario. Left the shiny thing on though by accident, so I have a shiny Lucario.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Great to see this. Join the challenges!

Oh, try a Nuzlocke.

Veteran Trainer

We're almost done...

Progress:

I finally got back to this and visited Prof. Oak for my Rock Climb HM. Then I returned to Goldenrod City and stocked up on Repels and some battle items, before flying to Victory Road. Then I used the last of my Rare Candies to level up Mr. Fish a bit more. The path to Route 28 was clear, allowing me to access another Rare Candy and the Steel Wing TM. Neither was very vital, but completionism, ho hum.

There in front of me, at the end, was Mt. Silver. I got myself pretty lost in there, ran into Moltres, and eventually ran out of Repels right before one back doorway. I entered it, dreading the next maze of Golbat- and Graveler-filled corridors...

And I was on the summit. I walked up the snowy path, where I found a lone, silent Trainer wearing a red cap......

Team:

Mr. Fish, LV99 Magikarp(M)
    -Bounce
    -Tackle
    -Flail
    -???
    The Champion.

-Bite
    -Dragon Rage
    -Leer
    -Twister
    The Champienne.

-Surf
    -Whirlpool
    -Waterfall
    -Rage
    The boat.

HM Rock, LV6 Geodude(M)
    -Rock Climb
    -Strength
    -Dig
    -Rock Smash
    The hammer.

HM Owl, LV4 Hoothoot(M)
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Foresight
    -Fly
    The plane.

-Vine Whip
    -Flash
    -Cut
    -???
    The chisel.

To be concluded...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer

After three and a half months, the saga of Mr. Fish finally comes to a close...

Progress:

"..........................................

.........................................."

There wasn't much else to say. It was time for the final battle.

And it took a LONG time to perfect.

I went in with a partial strategy, which was no longer really viable with Pikachu's Charm replaced by Volt Tackle. I figured I could use the time wasted on Charm to feed Mr. Fish X Speeds and X Attacks/Defends in varying ratios until Pikachu attacked, giving Flail the power to put Red's team down. But that strategy was no longer viable, so I instead had to come up with a new miracle.

Eventually, I settled on a less definite but more plausible strategy: First, I gave Mr. Fish a Brightpowder to boost his evasion slightly. Then, I confronted Red and began to reset the game. A LOT.

The plan was simple: Lead with Mr. Fish, switch to HM Rock, and then pray that an Electric move came my way. This became slightly problematic when I realized that Volt Tackle and Thunderbolt had a combined PP of at least 30, and the Hail on Mt. Silver would tear me apart long before it would Red. So it went; I began to rotation-battle against Red.

The battle, in-game, probably lasted days. My only strategy was one I hated and had hoped I'd never have to do again: Attrition battling; switching in HM Rock to soak up Volt Tackles and maybe Thunderbolts while Hail chipped away at both our teams. After a long while, eventually Pikachu's surplus electricity ran dry, and I could begin my real plan in earnest. With Quick Attack and Iron Tail unable to bring Mr. Fish down, I began pouring on X Defends, X Attacks, and X Speeds, before finally Flailing enough to bring Pikachu down. From there, I expected the battle to go smoothly.

What I got instead was Snorlax.

Dear God, if I never see this fat fuck again, I'll be able to die happy. Even with Mr. Fish's HP depleted as it was, Snorlax's monstrous defenses simply repelled it enough for Red to Full Restore it. As if that wasn't bad enough, Snorlax's Shadow Ball counterattack next turn was enough to wipe Mr. Fish out. One Max Revive later, and a weakened Mr. Fish was back, his Bounce thankfully paralyzing the big lug long enough for me to X Attack and X Speed him up enough for a win.

By the time Snorlax finally fell, I thought the rest of the fight MIGHT be less hellish... Enter Lapras, a Pokemon nearly as bulky as Snorlax but also one unfazed by the Hail. Again, I had to endure a round of Full Restores due to Flail being less effective than Bounce by this point, and again Mr. Fish was floored, this tie by a rogue Psychic. Another Max Revive later, and Mr. Fish was back again, but this time he had no stat bonuses and Lapras still had plenty of energy left. So, not really sure of where to go from here, I began to pump Mr. Fish up with X Attacks whenever I could, Tackling in-between bouts of Hail, Body Slams, and Psychic assaults. I only barely managed a win over Lapras, but with his power hitters down, Red was a LOT more manageable.

...Then Venusaur came out and used Giga Drain and brought Mr. Fish down in one shot. That was when I actually felt my heart sink. I'd come too far to be taken down by VENUSAUR of all things, but I had no X Sp. Defenses to guard against it with.

It was clutch time. I had no way of restoring Mr. Fish's PP much more, but I had dozens of Full Restores, Revives, and Hyper Potions. So, for the second and final time, I began rotation battling, sending in HM Weed, HM Owl, and Mrs. Fish out to soak up Giga Drain and Frenzy Plant for as long as they could. Combined with Hail's constant barrage, and eventually Venusaur was weak enough to Bounce out of the battle.

Next up was Blastoise. His defenses were sturdy, but his Blizzard and Focus Blast were missing too often to beat Mr. Fish down. So I pumped a few X Defends and X Attacks into him in between rounds of healing and Tackle pot-shotting the big blue brute, before a well-timed critical Flash Cannon lowered Mr. Fish's HP enough to power up Flail for a next-turn win.

This was it... Red's Charizard, possibly the strongest Pokemon in the Pokeverse. The beast that has felled armies and even bested Legendaries and Pokemon League Champion Blastoises out of sheer fortitude... He would be Mr. Fish's final foe...

And he was faster than Mr. Fish, allowing him to Air Slash Mr. Fish down, felling him for the third time. I used Mrs. Fish as a sponge while I restored her hubby for the battle, and then the brawl was on. Charizard's Special Attacks were a real nuisance, but with Brightpowder and a little luck, eventually an opening appeared where I could use an X Speed. Next turn, I managed to connect with my last Bounce, bringing Charizard's HP down to the red...

FULL RESTORE. OF COURSE.

This HAD to be it. I used an X Speed, he countered with an Air Slash, and the battle went predictably enough for a few turns. I COULD have just kept healing and waited for Hail to do him in, but that's not how I roll. Mr. Fish Tackled Charizard and hilariously critted against him. For some reason, the response was a Flamethrower, which Burned Mr. Fish but didn't bring his HP to zero. I tried Flail once more, and the fire dragon fell at last.

The credits began to roll...

Team:

Mr. Fish, LV99 Magikarp(M)
    -Bounce
    -Tackle
    -Flail
    -???
    The Champion.

-Bite
    -Dragon Rage
    -Leer
    -Twister
    The Champienne.

Gobblegut, LV19 Croconaw(M)
    -Surf
    -Whirlpool
    -Waterfall
    -Rage
    The boat.

HM Rock, LV10 Geodude(M)
    -Rock Climb
    -Strength
    -Dig
    -Rock Smash
    The hammer.

HM Owl, LV4 Hoothoot(M)
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Foresight
    -Fly
    The plane.

-Vine Whip
    -Flash
    -Cut
    -???
    The chisel.

Now, I normally end these challenges by going after a specific Legendary: In FireRed I ended my quest when I caught Mewtwo, in Ruby I finished after battling Rayquaza... I was considering ending this run by finding and capturing Ho-Oh, but after beating Red - with a MGIKARP of all things - I think I can close this book without the need for an epilogue.

HOWEVER...

One final task does remain. Mr. Fish didn't gain enough EXP to reach Level 100 in the battle with Red, so he's sorta stuck in limbo ATM. His Everstone is gone, and I have a Rare Candy or two left lying around... Should Mr. Fish evolve and become perfect? Or is this murderous little Magikarp complete the way he is?

...I'll let you guys vote on that. In the meantime, since I've amassed a naysayer or two, here's a little something to take a look at:

~Blade

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer

Congrats.

I Finnished last Moderator

Oh my god you did it Blade. I always wanted to do something similar, but now you did it before me. Congratulations!

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I vote for evolving him, so Mr. and Mrs. Fish can live happily ever after.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Veteran Trainer

Welp, the votes are is in. Mr. Fish, your day of glory is here...

Thank you all for watching. Now I'm off to my next challenge: Pokemon Black.

NUZLOCKE Edition.

Stay tuned in the other thread for more...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

That's absurd, but that's how my fish rolled! Good shizzle there.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Veteran Trainer

Thanks again for that fish, Darkly.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer

Alright, after successfully completing a Grass monotype on Platinum with some difficult pokemon (Tropius and Cherrim for example) I decided it's time for another unusual type: Bug!

Name: Matt
    Type: Bug
    Reason: I adore Beedrill, and bug pokemon are pretty cool anyway.

So I opted for a challenge and started off! Picked Totodile, did the necessary shit and as soon as I got balls (lol) I caught myself a female Adamant Weedle! I named it Fei and trained it up to Beedrill as I arrived in Violet city. Quickly went through Sprout Tower to face Falkner, which I had to battle twice in order to be victorious. Fei picked up Twinneedle which really helped and so I continued on the way to Azalea. Caught myself an Onix as HMslave and gave Fei a Shell Bell, hurr! Cleared out Slowpoke tunnel, fought my rival and challenged Bugsy. A nasty Critical Hit killed me, but on the retry I used Harden and then spammed Fury Attack, victorious again. Now to find myself a decent Pineco..

Pokemon:

Fei (Beedrill) [F]
    Level 23 - Adamant Nature
    Twinneedle | Pursuit | Fury Attack | Harden