Thread: Copyright Infringement? Japanese City Introduces Pikachu-Lookalike Eco Character

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Copyright Infringement? Japanese City Introduces Pikachu-Lookalike Eco Character

On Monday, the city of Ube in the Yamaguchi prefecture revealed its new eco-friendly mascot, Ecoha-chan. According to Anime News Network, the city's online blog post sparked a number of responses that the character design, for which the city owns the copyright, resembled Pikachu -- a fact that city staff members themselves noted after the costume was completed last October. (The picture, which you can see below, has since been removed from Ube's site, although a small illustration is still visible in the site header.)

An Ube city spokesperson said that "[Our] original illustration [and the character of Pikachu] are different, and we consider copyright not to be a problem."

Nonetheless, the Pokémon Company is looking into the situation and determining how it should deal with this possible infringement on the Pikachu copyright. A company spokesperson said that "We will gather more information about the situation, and then we would want to consider our options for how to respond."

Do you think that Ube's version looks too similar to the world's most well-known Pokémon? Visit our forums (link below) and tell us what you think!
    Last edited by Jeff; 14th August 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: fixed broken image
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Written Into A Corner... Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Re: Copyright Infringement? Japanese City Introduces Pikachu-Lookalike Eco Character

Way too similar. Maybe they could have gotten away with it if it weren't for the pink cheek pouches; with them, it just doesn't seem coincidental to me. The image screams "rip-off" to me in about seventeen different languages.

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: Copyright Infringement? Japanese City Introduces Pikachu-Lookalike Eco Character

Quote Originally Posted by mattbcl View Post
    Way too similar. Maybe they could have gotten away with it if it weren't for the pink cheek pouches; with them, it just doesn't seem coincidental to me. The image screams "rip-off" to me in about seventeen different languages.
    Agreed. Lose the pink cheeks and they could probably get by. I wonder if the result will be as simple as that. I doubt it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit