Thread: The Fanfiction Forum E-zine, September 2011: Call for Contributions!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default The Fanfiction Forum E-zine, September 2011: Call for Contributions!

The Fanfiction Forum E-zine ~ September 2011
    Call for Contributions

Hello, fellow Fanficcers!

Many of you remember the wildly successful Fanfiction Forum E-zine here on TPM a few years back. For those of you who don't, a quick glance through the Fanfic Archives should be a sufficient primer. Basically, the E-zine was dedicated to TPMer-written articles on all aspects of fanfiction, of writing and reading, and of the creative process as a whole.

Well, it's about time to bring back the E-zine! We're seeking articles for our next issue, which we'll be publishing next month. Anyone here can contribute -- if you're reading this thread, you can be in the E-zine. Feel free to write on what you like, and you can talk about what you're thinking of contributing, as well. (We'll keep track of everything in this thread, too, so you can see what's already being written.)

"But mr_pikachu!" you say. "How do I sumbit an article for the E-zine?"

Oh, my friends, it's simple. Here's the three-step process:

1. Write the article.
    2. Paste the article into a private message.
    3. Send me that private message no later than September 5, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. (American) Central Standard Time.

It's that simple! And keep in mind that you can write on something entirely of your design, or you can feel free to use of our "requested articles" below!

Note: The colored section beside each heading refers to who has committed to writing that column, or if it is still open for a writer. Red tags means the article has already been taken by a member, and green ones are open for someone to claim (or are open for all members to submit simultaneously, as may be noted).

1. News. OPEN

This would a more journalistic take on the general goings-on around Fanfic, around TPM, and/or in the writing scene beyond our forum as well. A single piece doesn't have to report on all of these; we might have multiple articles dedicated to news, or you may just choose to focus on whatever seems especially interesting.

2. Interview with a TPMer (this has traditionally been called "Interviews with the Stars"). OPEN

Gabi, is this a column that you want to take again?

3. Top Five _____________ of _____________. OPEN

This one is very loosely structured. The general idea is to approach the author of a fic and ask them a handful of questions (no more than half a dozen or so). Often, this will be used as a way of interviewing a fic character, so the questions will be answered in the voice of the character in question. (Fic and character choice would be up to you in this scenario, as would be the questions; just keep things tasteful.) Other "Top Fives" have included sources of inspiration or favorite books for prominent ficcers, and other things like that. It might be worth asking people around the boards what they'd like to see, which you could do using a public poll. That also might engage the readership more. But there’s no obligation to do that, of course -- if you want to make the decisions yourself, we trust your judgment. Who wants this one?[b]

4. Author’s teasers/trailers for future chapters/storylines. OPEN TO ALL

This is open to EVERYONE. If you’re writing a fic, you can submit a short teaser or trailer of no more than 200 words to be run in the e-zine. (Even something as short as a sentence would work, if that's what you want.) All teasers and trailers will be run, so if you want to promote the next chapter or story arc in your fic, this is your chance.

5. Best Line of the Month. OPEN

It would be great for someone (preferably someone who reads widely) to collect for him/herself some of the funniest, most poignant or most memorable lines -- the best -- that have appeared in fics, poems and one-shots during August, and make a short list of the best lines this month. Other members can also PM their suggestions of the best lines to the member who takes this column on board. After that, we could take a poll, or the person who does this could just choose their favorite. I think I’d lean toward a poll being taken so we can make this a forum-wide kind of decision, but we could go either way. Who wants this one? Someone who reads a lot would be ideal.

6. A fic or poem spotlight. OPEN

It would be great to have a nice review/discussion of a new or underappreciated fic or poem or one-shot. It can be formal or casual, and interviews with the author will only serve to enrich the spotlight. Who wants this one?

7. Fic backstories. OPEN TO ALL

This would be a section where the author would take us through some deeper details of their fic -- for example, a detailed description of a setting or a character’s backstory, or a scrapped plot arc -- that were too extraneous to appear in the fic itself. If YOU would like to tell us a bit about an aspect of YOUR fic’s backstory, write it up and PM it to me. No minimum word limit, but let’s keep it under, say, 1500 words max. (We can negotiate this.) The more, the merrier; anyone can submit.

8. Feature articles. OPEN TO ALL

Some potential ideas for feature articles:

- Readers: How can you be a good one? How do you deal with a lack of readers? mattbcl
    - Time management: How can you find the time to write while handling everything else in life? Mikachu Yukitatsu
    - Fanfiction philosophy - What does it mean to be a fanficcer? Why do we do it when we can't be published? Is fanfiction good? Can fanfiction be good? Why does it have a reputation otherwise? Is fanfiction plagiarism, and what does it mean when others plagiarize fanfics? Etc., etc. OPEN

Most of the first seven items in this list are regular column ideas, but what would be great would be new and interesting feature articles on various aspects of fanficcing, writing, reading, reviewing, editing, planning, getting time to write, etc. If you have an idea for a feature, post here and let us know, and get writing! It would be great to see your ideas in print! [b]

If you want to contribute and write one of the columns above (or if you'd like to craft a column of your own or do a feature story), post here to say what it is that you'd like to take. You can ask for more info/guidance if anything's unclear, or you can discuss your ideas here with the editor, other contributors, and other members before going out and writing it. Totally up to you.

When your piece is finished and proofread, PM it to me. Again, please send it no later than September 5, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. (American) Central Standard Time.

I know there are loads of you who are actively keen on contributing and also loads of you who are hanging back in the shadows wondering whether you should step forward or not, so I’ll just say I hope to see you all here in the newsroom. Can’t wait for this team to start working!

-mr_pikachu
    Last edited by mr_pikachu; 16th August 2011 at 05:50 PM.

Written Into A Corner... Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Re: The Fanfiction Forum E-zine, September 2011: Call for Contributions!

My my my. This looks like fun! I feel almost obligated to contribute something here. This place is really getting my writing jones up. Okay... well, would like to do a teaser, then, just to start with something simple. Requisite PM to come presently.

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: The Fanfiction Forum E-zine, September 2011: Call for Contributions!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post
    It would be great for someone (preferably someone who reads widely) to collect for him/herself some of the funniest, most poignant or most memorable lines -- the best -- that have appeared in fics, poems and one-shots during November, and make a short list of the best lines this month.
    November? Is that a mistake due to a copypasta? Perhaps you should fix it.

I'd be wiling to contribute in these ones:

4. Author’s teasers/trailers for future chapters/storylines.
    7. Fic backstories.
    8. Feature articles. - Time management: How can you find the time to write while handling everything else in life?

That's right, I currently have no Fanfic going on, but I'm planning one or two and I'm quite sure I'd be able to reach a certain point before September. Also, as for Fic backstories, I'd be willing to go deeper in a character or story readers might find most interesting. So I'll perhaps include a poll of some sort in my future Fanfic. What do you think of my idea of letting the readers choose the backstory this way?

Then there's number 8! I'm quite sure somebody else could write a better article on this one, but if nobody else is interested, I'd like to give it a shot.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Matt: Thanks! I got your PM, and it looks great!

Mikachu: Haha, yeah... Gavin let me reuse his previous "Newsroom" ideas and format so that we could get this thread up a bit more quickly. Thanks for pointing out the error, though; it's been fixed now.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that you're so inspired to contribute! Just let me know once you've got everything written and edited, and I'll get it in the E-zine!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'll write something, but not sure what yet :p

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

It's all good, Chris! I'm just glad to hear you're anxious to contribute your voice to the E-zine. I can't wait to see what you develop!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Chris is a pro journo now, he'll put us all to shame!

I'll definitely want to contribute a teaser for LTL's next chapter, so put me down for that at least. I'd really like to take on a "top five" or "best lines of the month", but I've gotta be careful about stretching myself too thin. Will let you know soon if I can take one of those on.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Written Into A Corner... Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I'd like to try my hand at an article on readership, as mentioned in your proposed section regarding Feature Articles. I've gotten to reading more of the fanfics here and think it'd be a good thing to offer up a few words on.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

That sounds great, Matt! Readership is an important aspect of fanficcing that we often have a tendency to overlook, so I think all of us would be thrilled to hear your take on it.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

I Finnished last Moderator

As some of you may have noticed, I didn't provide the poll I was talking about with my fic. Actually, that was because I didn't go with the same idea as I first planned. But I'll get something ready this evening or at least tomorrow!

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

So... um.. where's that E-Zine thingie I've heard so much about?
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

It's coming, Denny. I know Brian has just started back at his studies as of the start of this month I think, hence the delay - I think he's snowed under. He has enough articles to complete the e-zine so I think it's just a matter of getting the time to sort out the layout and editorial, etc.

We were initially hoping to have the winners of the SPs available for interview so we might even hold off on that, I'll discuss it with Brian.

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Master Trainer

I know.. but... I want to start posting a new fic, but I can't until the trailer advertising the fic is posted in the E-Zine D:!
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

No dramas mate, I've asked Brian so we'll see how it goes, hopefully soon then and we can save the other stuff for the next issue. I know he's also been under the weather lately so hopefully he can log in soon.

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

No drama intended, I'm just really excited for this fic I'm working on (even though I don't have the prologue done quite yet), and I've (we've) been waiting patiently. hope Brian feels better though. No fun feeling sick either way.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Awes - what's the fic about? Or will that defeat the purpose of the trailer?

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

I shall tell you only the following. It is a tribute to a legend. Hail to the King, baby.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mew Master View Post
    I shall tell you only the following. It is a tribute to a legend. Hail to the King, baby.
    I am intrigued and confused! Bring it on!

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

I am intrigued and confused! Bring it on!
    Holding you to that. You better read it, and you better comment *points accusingly
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I'm currently burning out in a whole range of ways, so it's unlikely I'll be able to stick with it if I do read the beginning but I'll do my best mate.

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

Despite wanting to say "Reading a story is burn out?" I refrain because I can sympathize with burn out on several factors. It happens. I DO hope you get a chance to read it.. mostly because I be tingling your curiosity by dangling a tag-line in front of you like a worm on a hook.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art