Thread: Shiny new Smiley Town *bling*

Hybrid View

♥ <(^o^)> ♥ Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: Shiny new Smiley Town *bling*

@mattbcl,

The popularity of an original work on this site is something that troubles me. Even if I were to put it up (It’s called ‘Mischief), I have no way of knowing if people would read it, and I’m not sure if the lack-of-responses issue has been somewhat resolved yet (as in, if people are actually responding to really anything besides the really popular fics, this is nothing against the more popular fics, I’ve one wrote before, but ones that don’t fit whatever fanfic deems popular seem overshadowed or lost). It’s really discouraging to work hard on something and then to get, literally nothing.

To be honest, I have asked and gotten people to read the prologue. They’re interested, and a few have asked me for the rest of it. They’ve told me if I put it on TPM, they would reply and give me their opinions and insight, which would be really nice. The main reason I want to put it on here is to actually get advice from people on what could be improved and such.

I’ve had a few things of mine stolen before, it wasn’t big things, and it was a fanfic material. I’m worried that if I did put it up, someone might take it. I don’t think anyone on TPM would, but people who browse this site, and it’s those unnamed stalkers I fear as thieves. Admittedly I’ve also have friends write fanfics off of my own ideas as well, of course, they asked and they told me whether or not they had the intention to put it on whatever site they fancied.

Do you want to read it? XD *shameless whoring*

@Lady_Vulpix,

That was my plan, but now mr_pikachu has kinda put me off the idea. I would love to put up what I have and get opinions, but if I’d have to delete it all and remove it, what’s the point? I could as easily just email it to people who have agreed to read it and get their opinions their way, and I wouldn’t have to run around the internet, deleting it if I’d like to get it published, which I would. I quite like the world and the characters I’ve developed.

@mr_pikachu,

I have the same problem with momentum. I have only let a couple of people view the prologue, wanting to keep the rest of it a secret. But now that it’s actually growing, I want feedback. Not having it seems to stifle whatever inspiration I have some days.

See I remember bits and pieces of the discussion, and I recall that point was made. It’s a bit unfair really, the internet is such a source of freedom and opinion, but you can’t really use it to get what you want. I can ask some of my IRL friends for their feedback, but I don’t really get anything truly substantial. I love hearing ‘I like it!’ don’t get me wrong, but it’s not always what I’m looking for.

[/end ramble] o:

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Tears View Post
    @Lady_Vulpix,

That was my plan, but now mr_pikachu has kinda put me off the idea.
    Argh! I didn't mean to dissuade you from posting your fic. >_<

Look, here's the thing. Editors don't like to see duplicates of their product available for free on the internet, but it's possible that they'd be fine with an author removing the online version prior to publication. That might be something to discuss with potential editors.

Since I'm interested in the subject as well, I did a bit of research (i.e., a couple of Google searches) and found a useful take on the subject. I found the following portion especially illuminating:

Is work considered previously published if I post it on a blog, Web site, large social-networking site, or online literary journal?
    If you’ve posted your writing on any of the above sites, it is generally considered previously published.

Is my work considered previously published if I post it in a writing forum or Web board?
    If the forum or Web board is private and intended for the purposes of encouraging feedback or community support, then most editors and literary agents will consider the work unpublished. But just in case, you may want to take it down once you’ve received feedback so it doesn’t appear online.

If the forum in question is public (that is, if nonmembers can see what you’ve written), then your work will likely be considered previously published.

What if I published my work on my blog or other Web site, but then I take it down before submitting it—is that considered previously published?
    This can be tricky. Try not to publish your work online if you plan to submit it elsewhere (like print journals). If you did post online, no one can stop you from taking your work down and then submitting it, but be warned: Editors may not like this tactic.

Once your work is removed from the Internet, do a search of random lines from the work to make sure it is not appearing anywhere. (Warning: Google and other search engines will often archive old Web pages, so simply deleting something from the Web doesn’t mean it’s gone!) If an editor finds your “unpublished” work online, you might look irresponsible or, worse, devious.

[...]

If I publish an excerpt from my book online or in print, does that mean the work is considered previously published?
    Generally speaking, it’s okay to publish excerpts online, as long as they are on the short side (relative to the work in question). Be sure you maintain the copyright if you’re going to publish a portion of your book prior to publishing the whole thing! Otherwise you could end up publishing your book, minus your previously published first chapter!

[...]

The flip side: Publishing your work online can be beneficial
    The Internet can be a wonderful resource, especially for those who don’t have critique groups or workshops available in their area. Unfortunately, very talented writers who just happened to workshop their writing online are getting caught in the cross fire between editors, agents, and the rapidly evolving question of “What is previously published writing?”

There are journal editors and literary agents who don’t really care about work published on small Web sites. Did you put a story up on a message board for critique? Have you posted a chapter of your manuscript on your blog? As long as the work isn’t plagiarized from someone else, some literary agents and editors don’t mind if the writing has appeared online.

But until the industry fully adjusts to the presence of the Internet, many literary agents and editors are going to simply reject work they consider to be previously published. At this point, the best option for writers is to play it safe until the rules become clearer.
    Another thing to note is that, with Borders going out of business, it's possible that we'll see a greater trend toward online publishing anyway. That movement might make editors more receptive to publishing manuscripts that have previously appeared, in whole or in part, on the internet.
    Last edited by mr_pikachu; 19th July 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

♥ <(^o^)> ♥ Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

@mattbcl,

♥ :3 Such news makes me happy! A fair and constructive critical review would be much appreciated.

@mr_pikachu,

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post
    Argh! I didn't mean to dissuade you from posting your fic. >_<
    Lol Lookit you, killin’ yer own forum. jkjk!

More on topic, I’ll think about it. Knowing there are a few that don’t damn the internet decision is comforting. Either way I would tell them I had put it on the internet, and if they wanted I would tell them when, where, why and etc. I honestly have no idea what questions or concerns an editor or agent would have, so your research has been really helpful, as well as your opinion.

(That goes for everyone :3)