Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show-Off: Chapter 35 posted 22/11

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Show-Off - Chapter 6 posted!

Wow. Just, wow.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never read anything other than your poetry before, but I'm enjoying this so so much. I really love it when people take characters and transform them. I'm adoring the way you've taken contests (which I never really got into in DP) and then you have all these other plot lines happening and its just so interesting and I can actually SEE it happening and wow.

Yeah. Sorry lol.

I really hated Milo for a while there though, but by about chapter 5 and 6 his character improved The addition of Morty was good for that. I'm not a fan of the way he's irritating the Eeveeloution sisters though. But the fact that his father has something to do with the gyms is a great plot twist

Yay

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

(Can't believe I missed the update)

Yeah, I've been curious about his father from chapter 1. Perhaps I'll get to find out something, sometime. Family-rivalry all the way, sisters and brother vs. father. Mother goes kookoo.

I think it was nice, for a filler, that is. The Eevee sisters going all mental and the 'protect-our-image-we-must' - didn't really suit them at all, although it made perfectly good sense.

Totodile is coming around nicely, I'm starting to like the guy. Although I don't really like Feraligatr I absolutely adore Croconaw. It might be the primitive and misschievous look that defines it, dunno.

Morty really is a wreck, or was. Its a nice background-bit, but I hope to see some of Morty's pokemon. I reckon they're a powerfull bunch.

The Karen, Sydney family-link is a bit cliché, but it works.

To bad I'm so keen on Gyms and this is a contest fic. The background stories make up for that though, atleast in a minor way.

The whole league reclassification is cool. To bad about Azelea, I like bug-pokemon and Busy I hope for a coup-d'état from frustated gymleaders. A swarm-army of bug pokemon. <3

Enough with the fantasy, curious on that contest next chapter. Hopefully the Eevee sisters go nuts and morty saves the day.

So much speculations..

I'm also replaying Crystal right now, so I'm kinda making my own story as I progress, implementing various input from your fic and my nostalgic fantasy.

Also, PanCake you should read TPML if you want something else from Chris. I like this better, though, TPML was more drama, while this is more day-to-day and much more realistic. It has drugs and suicide which is drama, but portraited in a good way, which I think TPML lacked a tad more. This only proves how you improved as a writer, Chris. Not trying to put down TPML, just some critism or mental-notes from myself, personally.

Keep up the good work.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sike: Hmm yea I think the Eeveelutions can be kinda intimidating. They have very odd eyes, and I thought that when looking at their artwork. They're very feline like, too, giving this sort of trepidating mystery.

Next chapter everything kicks off. If you look at the fic, there are a number of 'arcs' generally based around the cities or areas. We had the initial arc in Olivine, and this is what I would call the second arc. It culminates in Chapter 7.

Also Meredith has named a lot of her team after gemstones. Ruby the Arcanine, Emerald the Sunflora. She has a few more. We'll see a bit of Meredith's contest history in future installments.

As ever your reading is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Pancake: Hey! It's really nice to have you here; as you rightly said, you haven't been a reader of mine before. So this is cool! I'm glad you like the characterisations; the cities all have a distinct feel to them. Goldenrod is a particularly exciting plot arc; its all glitzed and moneyed with a sinister undertone.

Milo hasn't got many readers on his side lol. Jake has brought out a slightly more compassionate side in him, but as you can see, he's being horribly vigilant regarding this picture.

And just how involved is Milo's father? Heavily XD. We'll see that later on, and a bit more of Milo's childhood. There's this kinda big thing that happened which...well...it's a big shocker. But I'll see you at the next chapter!

MLG: Hey! Milo's father is important. Meredith mentioned he is always travelling on business, but perhaps Milo will run into him somewhere? I'm glad Totodile is growing on you; I nearly had Milo catch something else in Ch4 because I wasn't sure Totodile would work. An original idea was for him to get a Golduck, but I worked one into the story another way. Totodile's definitely a great little guy.

We won't see much of Morty's Pokemon until slightly later in the fic. I wonder what he would think about Milo's incriminating picture, since the same has happened to him?

Also, that's such a crazy mention about a rebellion from the Gym Leaders. Azalea has been essentially drained of its life by the Johto council, with the Gym shut down etc. The citizens aren't happy. But you'll soon learn that taking on the people behind the operation might be a big deal...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Master Trainer

I am awaiting the next chapter then!

I also wanted to commend you on the realistic-ness (yay for made up words) that you've brought into this fic. Morty being on drugs is fantastic, the constant sleeping around and worldly things portrayed into this fic really work. They just bring in a sense of realism that is usually forgotten in trainer fics. I really like this, and cant believe that I didn't make more mention of it last time I commented.

2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Master Trainer

It's my fetish.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

What a lovely thought MLG. By the way, what do people think of the chapter names?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

They are a lot of effort.

Sometimes they are fun.

I don't really pay much attention to them.

But i like the pictures of pokemon you put after them

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I guess. They do reflect the chapters in a way. But they are all named after cocktails; Arnold Palmer, Ch2, is a 'mocktail' ie a non-alcoholical cocktail. I named Ch2 after it since it was an ease into the heart of the story. And Ch1 was iconic, hence a non-drink name. I work at a cocktail bar so I could tell you all about these drinks

Originally I was going to have Milo's current team under the title but figured since it won't change very often it's not worth it. That's in my sig instead.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Show-Off
    -VII-
    Smoky Martini

Benjamin Brady woke up with a start that morning. While normally curled beneath his thick duvet at this time, today he was out of bed before he could register the sound of the alarm. The cold air in his bedroom stung his bare chest as he picked out his clothes for the day. I’m Walking On Sunshine blared from the radio as the tall, skinny boy strode towards the bathroom, standing beneath a piping hot shower to really wake up properly.

But it was no time for indulgence; punctuality was, statistically, the most favoured trait in a new employer. Towelling himself off, Benjamin put in his contact lenses carefully, blinking to let his eyes adjust to the thin discs before he brushed his teeth. On the bathroom mirror was a note: Don’t Forget Lunch Money! Xxx. Benjamin plucked it from the mirror, folded it carefully and stashed it in his wallet.

First, the smart trousers. As they buttoned up, Benjamin’s Natu flapped into the room, resting on the windowsill. He cooed softly.

“Not today Natu,” explained the boy. “It’s my first day, remember?”

The Natu may have remembered, but it did not comply. Flapping around the room, it cooed happily, trying to get his trainer’s attention. Benjamin buttoned his shirt up as he got his tie out from the wardrobe. As he fumbled over tying his tie, he caught a brief look at himself in the mirror. He looked very smart. Very professional.

When Natu became too irritating to ignore, Benjamin recalled him into his Pokeball and set it upon his dresser for when he got back from work. Not even his best friend could dampen his spirits for today. Slipping into his shoes (and realising, with a sharp pain in his toe, they were a bit small), the young boy left his flat, locking his door and walking keenly downstairs.

It seemed that the sun herself knew the importance of the day; walking through the sleepy city, Benjamin found the weather pleasant, for it was not too warm or too cold. A few Butterfree were clustered around the big flowers of someone’s garden, chirping merrily.

“Good morning!” cried a lady, tending to her plants.

“Morning,” Benjamin called back, smiling. It took no time to reach his new place of work; standing proudly in the sunny day, the new lick of paint made it seem somewhat vibrant. He made his way through the automatic doors, feeling a cool blast greet him from the air conditioning. He zipped past a boy standing with his Azumarill and approached a desk, where a woman named ‘Maureen’ was working.

“Benjamin?” she asked curiously, checking her watch. “You’re fifteen minutes early!”

“Well,” Benjamin said excitedly. “Better to be early then late, right?”

“Yes, I suppose so,” Maureen mused. “Ok then. I’m going to just pop into the staff room for a cup of tea. Why don’t you man the desk for a bit?”

“Okay!” Benjamin said.

“Do you remember everything from training yesterday?”

“Absolutely,” he replied.

“Ok then! Give me a shout if you get stuck,” Maureen said, disappearing behind a door. Benjamin smoothed the creases in his shirt, straightened his tie and moved a micro-step closer to the desk he was behind. A handsome young man of around twenty walked to the desk and smacked his pass on the desk.

“Milo Mitchelson,” he muttered.

“Hello Milo!” Benjamin said brightly. Like a bat exposed to a bright light, the boy recoiled somewhat.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked.

“…nothing!” Benjamin said. “It’s…my first day today.”

“And?” Milo replied. “Here’s my contest pass. Just…scan it.”

“Okay,” Benjamin muttered, feeling slightly put out. He scanned the pass, which caused the computer to beep ominously. “Oh no…”

“What’s wrong?” asked a younger boy with Milo.

“Umm…the machine isn’t reading your contest pass…” Benjamin said. He clicked at something on the computer.

“It’s brand new!” Milo complained.

“I know, it isn’t your fault…I don’t think,” Benjamin said warily. “It’s the computer. Er - Maureen?”

He called towards the staff room, but there was no response from his supervisor. Benjamin’s enthusiasm for the job ebbed away slightly.

Maureen?”

“Just let me go through!” Milo snapped.

“I have to register you on our database in case of a fire…” Benjamin explained, remembering legislation 14c from his training. “Health and Safety.”

“Oh for FUCKS SAKE!” Milo snapped. “My name is Milo. I am appealing with a Totodile and Medicham. Here is my pass. I’m going back stage to the relaxation room and I expect you to file this paperwork bullshit once you finish your training.”

He turned on the spot.

“Good-fucking-bye.”

And with that, Benjamin’s enthusiasm at his first day as a contest hall receptionist dwindled as the irate Milo Mitchelson stormed off into the coordinators area.

“Just so you know,” Jake said coldly, as Milo sat down backstage. “You’re acting like a complete dick.”

“I didn’t sleep well,” Milo muttered. “And shut up.”

The contest hall was different to the Olivine one. It was in a dome-shaped building with the audience surrounding the stage on all sides. Milo recognised a couple of people from the Olivine Contest, but nobody he was really in the mood to talk to. He had on a pair of torn jeans and a graffiti t-shirt, with a zip-up hoody thrown over the top. Jake walked around backstage, greeting people, wearing a disgusting polka-dot black shirt.

“Hello!” he said. “Oh what a lovely little Squirtle!”

“Thanks,” a lady replied. “Are you competing today?”

“Oh me?” Jake said. “No. Personal Stylist to Milo Mitchelson.”

“Fucking hell,” Milo grumbled, from across the room.

“Cheer up,” came a voice. Milo turned to see a girl come and sit next to him. She was very pretty, with pale skin, sleek black hair and high cheekbones.

“Why should I be cheery?” Milo asked her. “You’re not one of those hippies, are you?”

“Check out my oral hygiene,” the girl replied, showing a set of straight, white teeth, before laughing. “Of course I’m not.”

“Nice,” Milo laughed.

“Did you hear about The Friends of Pokemon Society though?” she asked. “There was a big hostage situation at MooMoo Farm.”

“I heard…something,” Milo said.

“My name is Luna,” she replied, holding her hand out. “Are you are?”

“Milo,” he replied, shaking her hand. “Er. Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Luna said, smiling.

“This is Jake,” Milo said, as he walked over excitedly.

“Hi Jake!” Luna said.

“Nice to meet you!” Jake said. “I’m Milo’s stylist.”

“Stylist?” Luna said, raising her eyebrows. A light bulb pinged in her head. “Oh! Oh…wow. I didn’t think you guys were…oh how wonderful!”

“What?” Milo asked. “Shit. No! We’re not gay.”

“Well I am,” Jake mused.

“He is. I’m not. He doesn’t style me!” Milo snapped. He pointed to his clothes. “All of this? My work! MINE!”

He stormed off into the crowd of coordinators as Jake sat down.

“He can be cranky in the mornings,” he explained. “But I just love your pencil skirt! How retro!”

“Oh thanks,” Luna said. “Yea, I visited Blackthorn City on my way here. They have some really nice clothes there.”

“Oh I’d love to go to Blackthorn,” Jake moaned.

“Where are you from?” Luna asked.

“Olivine,” Jake replied. “I just take care of Milo’s Pokemon for him.”

“How kind,” Luna said. “Oh! Look! Is that one of the Eevee sisters?”

Surely enough, Frankie strode through the crowds angrily. She wore a red dress and had her hair styled up. She looked incredibly smart. Flareon followed her closely.

“Frankie is the MC for the contest,” Luna explained. “She has a Flareon, like my big sister.”

“Who is judging?” Milo asked.

“Veronica Grimm,” Luna noted. “Mayor of the city. Then a retired coordinator named Robert and I think that drug-dealing Gym Leader is doing it, too.”

“Morty?” Milo asked, bewildered. Why was Morty agreeing to referee a contest?

Since Milo was not late for this contest, as he had been with the Olivine one, he could watch as Frankie walked onto the stage and greeted the audience, whose eyes pressed down on the stage keenly. Big screens showed footage from previous contests, entertaining the crowd.

“WELCOME TO THE ECRUTEAK CITY POKEMON CONTEST!” Frankie roared. Her fiery personality really shone through here. Milo wondered what the other sisters were doing; probably combing the city for him. “MY NAME IS FRANKIE AND I AM YOUR GUEST HOST TODAY! ARE WE READY TO SEE SOME GORGEOUS POKEMON?”

The crowd roared wildly.

“First we need to meet the judges,” Frankie said, when the crowd hushed slightly. “First of all, let me present to you Miss Veronica Grimm, the mayor of Ecruteak City!”

“Good afternoon,” Veronica said coldly. She had a long, pointed face, washed out clothes and looked every bit as grim as her name implied.

“What do you think is the most important trait for coordinators competing today?” Frankie asked her, where she was sat behind a panel.

“I think enthusiasm is important,” droned Veronica.

“Thanks!” Frankie cried. “Next we have Robert Keep - a former coordinator who won the Hoenn Grand Festival in 2004!”

“Pleasure to be here,” the man said. He had long golden hair and wore a purple blazer, with a neck scarf.

“He has an amazing Milotic,” Luna noted. “I saw him perform in the Grand Festival.”

“Wow,” Jake hissed.

“And Robert, what sort of things are you expecting to see in the contest today?” Frankie asked him.

“Visual excitement,” he said. “Personification of element.”

Frankie looked quizzically at the man, who sat back and took a sip of water calmly.

“And finally we have Mortimer LaRoux, former Leader of Ecruteak Gym!” Frankie said. “Hey Morty!”

“Hey,” grumbled Morty. Without asking him a question, Frankie turned back to the audience.

“Ok! Those are the judges, and I’m your host, so all that is left is the performances! Please enter contestant number one!”

Milo, sitting with Jake and Luna, watched from backstage as a boy in skinny black jeans and a black t-shirt strode onto the stage.

“Zach from Ecruteak City!” Frankie cried.

“I choose Drifloon!” he said, hurling a purple ball into the air. It burst forth and revealed his Pokemon; a round, purple creature floating in the air. Two thin, stringy tendrils came from its body ending in small yellow hearts, while the creature had a yellow X between its small, dark eyes. The Pokemon looked around curiously, bobbing in the air like a balloon.

“Drifloon use ominous wind!” called Zach. It span around wildly, its tendrils whipping around it like blades, causing an eerie noise to reverberate around the dome-shaped room.

“That thing is weird,” Milo said.

“I’ve never even seen one before!” Luna remarked. There was a twisting pillar of sparkling wind that was soon taking over the arena; aided by the odd noise the wind made and the evil balloon, Milo was quite intrigued. Suddenly Zach clicked his fingers; the Pokemon’s tendrils wrapped around his throat and tightened.

Drifloon began to rise off the ground among the cyclone of mysterious gale. Zach soon followed, his sneakers gently lifting from the ground as he was ensnared by his Pokemon. His eyes were bulging; the blood vessels in his neck pulsating heavily as the blood supply was cut off.

“Is he ok?” Luna asked. Zach rose higher into the rafters, dragged by his Pokemon amid a furious gust. Suddenly, Drifloon span around and released Zach, who was caught in the gale and whipped around the room. Arms spread out, he let the wind hurl him around, tossed across the room like a rag doll. Drifloon was unleashing volleys of sparks as Zach collapsed.

“Is it over?” Frankie mused, noting Zach did not move. She heard a voice in her earpiece. “OK! Right let’s move onto the judges scores. Veronica?”

“The Pokemon throttling you disturbed me somewhat,” the stiff mayor noted. “I give it a 6.0”

“I liked it,” Robert said next. “You scare me somewhat…but that’s okay. 8.0.”

“I thought it was cool,” Morty said. “You know I once dated a girl into really kinky stuff. She liked to choke me during sex. It was good.”

“Thank you Morty,” Frankie growled. “Score?”

“Oh. Erm…8.0,” Morty said.

“With that in mind,” Frankie said, turning to the crowd. “Zach and Drifloon get a score of 22/30. I just wish the future was this bright for all the suicidal teens among us!”

“He did quite well considering he was trying to hurt himself,” Luna thought. “Who are you using for your appeal Milo?”

“My Totodile,” Milo replied, looking around as the next person, a springy looking blonde girl, leapt up and walked happily towards the stage. She had blonde hair and wore a cute pink top with a white skirt. She was very pretty, with a big happy grin and a pure white Pokeball.

“Please welcome Mel from Cianwood City!” cried Frankie. Jogging onto the stage like a cheerleader, Mel waved excitedly; friendliness bubbled from her face.

“She’s gorgeous,” Milo said.

“Go Jumpluff!” Mel yelled, leaping up and hurling the ball high into the air. In a burst of light, Jumpluff emerged; the large, plushy Pokemon held its large cotton buds out as it slowly landed to the ground. A bruised Zach watched the Pokemon, wishing he had fallen as gracefully.

“Jumpluff spin around and use sleep powder!” she cried. The Pokemon leapt up and span, releasing a soft citrus-coloured pollen. It scattered in the air, before Jumpluff used its big appendages to flap wildly and send gusts of wind swooshing through the arena. As the glittering spores twisted into the rafters of the building from the sharp winds, some fell to the ground.

“Now, use a silver wind!” ordered Mel. Thick streaks of shining light burst through the sprinkled veil, before they themselves burst into a brilliant sparkle of silver light. Jumpluff landed deftly on Mel’s head as light showered down from above.

“Wow!” Frankie cried. “An exceptional show there. What do the judges think?”

“Very good use of light,” Veronica noted. “8.5”

“I really liked it,” Robert said. “It was simple, but you demonstrated Jumpluff’s skills very well. 9.5”

“Thank you!” Mel beamed.

“I liked it…” Morty said. “But it set off my allergies a bit. 6.0.”

“That gives you a total of 23.5,” Frankie pointed out. “Well done!”

Mel left the stage happily. Milo, Jake and Luna watched as a variety of different performers showed off their Pokemon. A very fat man named Eric was completely lifted by his Machamp in an impressive display of strength, while an elderly lady named Lillian received a low score, despite managing to make a sweater out of her Spinarak’s silk.

Luna was called up and walked onto the stage calmly, throwing a ball up into the air. From it, a large creature emerged in a flash of light. Standing on its back legs, the pink Pokemon had a striped belly, a frilled collar and a large shell atop its head. It was a Slowking, who stood proudly as the crowd looked on. Milo wondered which element Luna would exploit; water or psychic?

“Water gun!”

A hearty blast of water shot through the air as Slowking used her mind to manipulate the jet. As she rose off the ground slowly, the jets of water orbited her like the rings of Saturn, the intelligent Pokemon focusing completely. Milo watched as the sparkling water shot around Slowking, sometimes blurring or cloaking it.

“Good!” Luna cried. Steadily, as the volume of water increased, Slowking opened her mouth slightly wider as icy crystals blasted out. As the pink Pokemon levitated among the spinning rings of water, the ice spread though the water and began to freeze it gradually, encasing her in a spherical shell of ice. She levitated within the icy domain.

“This is incredible!” Jake said. “Don’t you think?”

“Yea,” Milo replied. Luna gave another command and Slowking head butted up, shattering the icy cage and bolting through the air; given the speed, Milo wondered if telekinesis was involved. The ice shards clattered against the ground as Slowking landed deftly, before commanding the ice to rise up and smash against each other with a sudden clap.

Applause rang out instantly. Slowking bowed and Luna waved happily. Many people back stage were chatting about the intricate appeal, wondering how Slowking had the ability to do so much at once. Milo knew, however, that Medicham’s telekinesis was far superior.

“Wow, thank you Luna!” Frankie said happily. “Scores please!”

“An incredible appeal,” gushed Veronica, in an odd display of enthusiasm. “Showing off Slowking’s nature perfectly. 9.6.”

“I agree,” Robert replied. “You showed the psychic traits…the element of water and even the icy prowess of your Pokemon, but doing so very naturally. Perhaps Slowking’s type match up is not as odd as scholars think. I give it a 9.2.”

“Nice work,” Morty said, disinterested but still wanting to be honest. “10.0.”

“That gives Luna a stunning total of 28.8 out of a possible 30!” Frankie beamed. “Luna go and celebrate back stage while we get on the next coordinator! Thank you!”

As Luna left, Jake ran over and gave her a big squeeze. During this time, Milo noticed a somewhat familiar face preparing to go onto the stage. It was Daniel, the Nurse from the Pokemoncenter. He had a stem green polo shirt on and slim dark jeans. Milo saw him release a Sneasel.

“Hey Jake,” Milo said. “It’s your friend.”

“Oh my god!” Jake said wildly. “The Nurse…”

“When are you on Milo?” Luna asked, after recalling her Slowking.

“After the guy after this guy,” Milo said, as Daniel’s Sneasel began skating around the arena on ice it blasted from its mouth.

“You’ve sailed into the battle round,” Jake told Luna.

“Well we shall see,” Luna said. Milo looked across the arena, where Frankie was standing to one side with the judges. He made eye contact for a split second.

While Frankie ran the contest, Molly was walking the streets of Ecruteak City. Rochelle was guarding the East gate, Una the South and Vanessa the West. Molly walked past the Gym, her Espeon at her side. Everything was going wrong; despite her best efforts, Milo still had the photograph of her from the other night, and the worry was eating her up inside.

Jasmine sat outside the Gym, a Magnemite buzzing around her head. She wore large sunglasses and had a flower in her hair. Molly approached her.

“You’re a bit late,” Jasmine muttered.

“I’ve been scouring the city,” Molly explained.

“I told you Milo would be in the contest hall,” Jasmine reminded her.

“I know; Frankie texted me. He’s participating. About to go on.”

“Then tell your sisters to relax,” Jasmine said. “Even if Milo was going to leave the city he could teleport past anyone in his way.”

“We have a plan,” Molly said. “If he goes ahead with this photograph, then our image is ruined. Ecruteak is ruined.”

“You never struck me as the vigilant type,” Jasmine mused. “Five gorgeous girls, suddenly motivated by a scandal.”

“This is big,” Molly snapped. “Like, damaging. You saw what happened to Morty when his habits were exposed. He was ruined.”

“He seems happy,” Jasmine said.

“But his reputation has plummeted,” Molly replied insistently.

“Your sister still likes him,” Jasmine noted. “Anyway we are getting besides the point here. Milo’s at the contest hall. If you want to get that picture from him, I suggest you do it soon.”

Following Daniel the nurse’s appeal, which got him a reasonable score, Milo gripped Totodile’s Pokeball and prepared to go onto the stage.

“Good luck,” Daniel said to Milo.

“I don’t need it,” Milo replied. He didn’t like Daniel that much, not after his comment on Totodile’s Pokeball the other day. As Jake squealed from Daniel’s presence, Milo found himself on the stage, staring at the many people all looking down on him.

“Welcome to the stage…Marco Mitchelson!” Frankie called.

“It’s Milo!” he argued.

Sorry,” sneered Frankie.

“Is that the best you can do?!” Milo asked.

“Yes,” Frankie muttered.

“Screw this,” Milo said to himself, “Totodile, let’s go!”

He hurled the Pokeball through the air, where it burst open in a flashy, shimmering light. Totodile landed on the arena just as Milo caught the Pokeball. The audience applauded loudly at Totodile.

“Ok Totodile!” Milo said, getting the juggling balls from his bag. “Go!”

He hurled the first ball into the air and watched as Totodile ran underneath it, blasting the jet of water up to sustain it. By varying the power of the water gun, Totodile was able to let the ball dip and rise like a jet from a fountain. Cheers rang out from the crowd.

“Again!” Milo yelled, throwing a second ball in the air. Totodile propelled the first into the air with a hearty blast before scampering along the arena and firing a jet of water to keep the second up; he shot it at an angle and proceeded to leap between the two balls. When Milo threw the third ball, he was worried, since Totodile was always clumsiest here. But when the third ball span into the air, Totodile struck it with a jet of water so delicate and precise, before scampering along the arena sustaining the other two balls.

The audience clapped along, enjoying the performance, but Milo and Totodile had worked on a flawless finish.

“Now! Water gun and twist!”

Twisting his neck, Totodile span around and expelled a jet of water. It struck the ground and whipped up like a tornado, spinning wildly and engulfing the orange juggling balls, making them spin wonderfully among the cyclone.

“Launch up there! Slash, Chomp, Whip!”

Aiming at the ground, Totodile blasted a jet of water to propel himself up into the air. Claws glowing, he slashed apart one of the juggling balls, causing shreds of orange rubber to fall to the ground like confetti. Landing on the ground he was blasted back up into the air by another jet of water. This time, he sank his teeth into a spinning ball, using ice fang to freeze and shatter it in seconds. Flipping back, Totodile fell among sparkling shards as a final water gun was launched at the ground and he raced up towards the final orange ball. Tail shimmering with an aquamarine tinge, he whipped it around and sliced clean through it, before landing on the ground.

Milo beamed. Totodile pulled of a flawless appeal and waved his arms excitedly as the crowd roared out in support. Frankie came back on the stage.

“Thank you Milo!” she said. “Judges…what did you think?”

“A very nice appeal,” Veronica Grimm declared. “But I feel your Totodile’s colour detracts from its general appeal.”

“Are you serious?” Milo asked.

“Always,” Veronica replied.

“I have to disagree,” Robert chipped in.

“You can disagree when the MC asks for your opinion,” Veronica snapped. “It was ok. I give it a 6.0.”

“Bitch!” Milo cried.

“Fine. 5.9,” Veronica sniped.

“Well I think it was fantastic,” Robert explained. “And I have much more knowledge than Veronica here. You had fun, there was energy, you showed off a lot of Totodile’s attacks, and it looked beautiful. Frankly, the colour of your Totodile was quite intriguing. I give it an 8.5.”

“Thanks,” Milo said.

“I loved it man,” Morty said, giving a wink. “9.9!”

“That is a ridiculous mark!” Veronica shouted.

“Not as ridiculous as yours,” Morty replied coolly.

“Ok judges, please calm down,” Frankie said. “That gives Milo a total of 24.3 out of a possible 30. Milo thank you. Next please!”

Milo raced off with Totodile clutched under his arm. Jake jumped out his seat happily, while Luna watched from her seat, intrigued.

“That was amazing!” Jake said.

“He did alright, didn’t he!” Milo said, smirking.

“But what did I say about his colour?” Jake pointed out. Milo placed a hand on Jake’s shoulder and proceeded to head butt him. With a thwack, Jake stumbled back and fell onto the floor as Milo went out the back door for a cigarette.

Following the rest of the appeals there was a brief interval. Milo was still outside. staring at the beautiful city as he took a drag from his cigarette. The city seemed still; peaceful. He wiped some of Jake’s blood from his nose. Totodile was in his Pokeball.

“How’s it going man?” came a voice. Morty walked out and leant against the wall.

“Hey,” Milo replied.

“They’re getting ready to start the battle portions,” Morty said. “Just time for a quick smoke.”

“Yea,” Milo muttered. “Hey thanks for the high score.”

“Bumped it up a bit. Veronica Grimm is a complete cow,” Morty muttered. “She definitely won’t let me run the Gym now.”

Milo gave a hollow laugh.

“You never answered my question the other night,” Morty said.

“Oh?” Milo muttered.

“I asked what brought you here to Ecruteak,” Morty said.

“Oh…” came the reply.

“It’s to coordinate,” Morty prompted him. “I didn’t think you were into all that.”

“I’m not…like, I don‘t… Right, I‘m not into it. I just…do it,” Milo replied.

“I don’t care,” Morty said, smiling. “Dude, if you’re good at something, then just do it. Do what makes you happy, or what gives you purpose.”

“You should give speeches to stupid kids,” Milo said, musing. He flicked his stub into the grass and ground it into the earth with his shoe. “And hey, don’t worry about the Gym thing.”

“Why?” Morty asked.

“I’ve got it sorted,” Milo replied coolly, going back inside. Morty raised his eyebrows at the remark, before following his friend.

Sure enough, Milo was one of the four going to the battle rounds. With him were Luna, Daniel and a slightly odd looking woman named Lady Cucombre. Backstage, Luna explained that Lady Cucombre was a fortune teller in the city, but tended to give very miserable predictions.

“She told me I’d lose my foot to cancer,” Luna said.

“Weird,” Milo muttered. Jake was having his palm read by her, holding a tissue to his nose.

“Why did you head butt Jake?” Luna asked. “It seemed a bit…crazy.”

“We knows why,” Milo said, thinking of his smugness over Totodile’s appearance. Milo saw the little alligator’s face falter when Veronica made such a horrible comment, and vowed to make sure the poor creature never received such ill-treatment again. Unless he caught his reflection in a pond, the little Pokemon probably never realised he looked any different, and it didn’t show in his exceptional performance.

“Milo? Luna?” said an organiser. “It’s time for your battle.”

“No problem,” Milo said, getting up. Luna did likewise, being led around the back of the stage so they walked on their respective sides of the arenas. As Milo polished Medicham’s Pokeball quickly, he caught sight of Jake, evidently receiving bad news from the fortune teller.

“A flash of lightening!” she cried. “An ally betrays you!”

“No kidding,” Jake snarled, staring at Milo. He rolled his eyes and walked on stage.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!” Frankie cried. “PLEASE WELCOME THE FIRST TWO SEMI-FINALISTS…MILO AND LUNA!”

Milo waved meekly to the audience as Luna gave a soft bow. She gripped a Pokeball tightly; it was black and white with a moon engraved on the front.

“The rules are as follows!” Frankie said. “Each trainer can use one Pokemon that was not their appeal Pokemon. They have five minutes to demonstrate their Pokemon’s style in battle and the winner will be the Pokemon with the highest appeal gauge, as demonstrated on the screen!”

They both nodded.

“LET THE SEMI-FINAL MATCH BEGIN!” Frankie yelled. Luna hurled the ball through the air and Milo did the same with his; two bursts of light morphed into the respective Pokemon. Medicham flexed her spindly arms as she saw the foe; a Lunatone. The moon-shaped Pokemon had bold red eyes and a pointed nose.

“Medicham go for ice punch!” Milo commanded. Medicham nodded and raced along the arena, both fists crystallising with ice shards. She leapt up and swung her fists into Lunatone, dealing great damage. The stone span back, crooning, before firing off a psybeam to strike Medicham in the chest. She staggered sideways, wincing.

“Lunatone go for double team!” Luna ordered. Lunatone flashed white and created a staggering number of clones - ten in total. Milo smirked, knowing Medicham could detect the real one easily.

“Try mind reader. Try and feel which one is emitting thought.”

“These aren’t to fool you!” Luna cried. “Lunatone! Cosmic Power!”

As his body glowed brightly, Lunatone sped along the arena like a meteor. The other clones did likewise, streaking around Medicham in different coloured blurs. Sparkles bounced from the different rocks as they moved, some circling and some spinning wildly.

“An amazing display by Luna!” Frankie commented.

“Medicham stay relaxed, try and find Lunatone,” Milo muttered.

“Shadow Ball!” Luna said. All the Lunatone’s charged up orbs of dark, arcane shadow. Only one was corporeal, however, the others all mere illusions. After pin-pointing which was the real Lunatone, Medicham turned, but was too late. The shadow ball struck and exploded before her, the fallout wiping out all the clones in a sweeping cloud of umbra.

Milo gritted his teeth. Luna was strategic and well choreographed in her battles. As Medicham staggered back to recuperate from the blow, Lunatone blasted an ice beam through the air. Holding her hands out, Medicham focused and twisted the ice beam up into the air, before speeding across the arena and delivering a brick break to Lunatone.

“Good!” Milo said. Medicham crossed her legs and rose off the ground as Lunatone swept through the air. “Now teleport behind it and use focus blast!”

Eyes glowing, Lunatone looked furious as it prepared to tackle Medicham. In a flash, she was gone, re-appearing behind the creature and holding her palms forward. An intense blast of white energy swept through the air and struck Lunatone, forcing it into the rafters of the arena. Smashing into a lighting rig, Lunatone caused the lighting to dim slightly as sparks coursed through its body.

Milo could see that Luna’s appeal gauge was still higher; he was not dealing damage in the most stylish way. Noticing the time ticking down, Milo decided his best bet was simply to eliminate Lunatone instead of trying to get higher marks.

“Lunatone use charge beam!” ordered Luna. From the air, Lunatone crackled wildly as a beam of white-hot sparks was blasted from the tip of its nose. Medicham used her telekinesis to hover through the air and bolted out of the way to avoid the attack, before charging up a shadow ball in her hands.

“Let it grow!” Milo said, watching as the ball exceeded its standard football size and got steadily larger. With its increase in size, the orb was becoming unstable; wisps of shadow peeled from the confines and faded into the air. Satisfied with the size of it, Milo ordered Medicham to kick it into the air. She did so, launching it into the air before leaping after it with a telekinetic boost.

“Ice punch!”

Swinging her fist back as she caught up with the projectile, Medicham sent an icy sheen over the shadow ball as it was punched through the air at Lunatone. The Pokemon merely watched as it exploded upon its rocky exterior, causing crystal shards and dark shadow to whoosh through the air upon impact. Luna looked impressed at Milo’s combo.

“Lunatone come on!” she urged. “Ice beam!”

Lunatone floated down and fired a beam of ice. It was a good attack, Milo thought, perhaps only slightly stronger than Totodile’s. Milo recalled Charlie’s Solrock knowing fire attacks and wondered if the sun and moon Pokemon were more competent with fire and ice attacks respectively.

“Medicham use fire punch,” Milo ordered. Medicham summoned embers to burst upon her palm, but on her trainers command, clenched her fists and began spinning around wildly. The flames coursed through her fingers and as she span, a circle of flames whipped around her and defended against the oncoming ice attack, rendering it useless.

“Now leap up and use focus punch!”

Medicham, still spinning, pounced up through the air, bursting from the flames and throwing a punch at Lunatone. Fist glowing white she struck the Pokemon, throwing it to the ground where it clattered against the floor of the arena, defeated. Medicham landed deftly as applause rang out.

“Lunatone has been knocked out!” Frankie called. “Milo and Medicham go on to the finals!”

Milo smirked as Medicham gave him a high five. Luna recalled Lunatone and smiled at Milo. They left the stage, finding themselves in the VIP area with the other coordinators who had stuck around. Daniel applauded and even patted Milo on the back.

“That was a wonderful battle,” Luna noted.

“Thanks,” Milo said.

“I’ve never been as good at battling,” she admitted.

“Well you can’t be good at everything,” Milo said.

“Good luck in the finals,” she said.

“Are you going?” Milo asked her. She gave a nod.

“I should, really.”

“Oh,” he said, surprisingly disappointed. Luna saw his expression and smiled.

“Are you going to miss me?” she asked.

“Don’t be soft,” he said. “I don’t even know your surname.”

“True,” she replied. “It was a pleasure, Milo Mitchelson.”

She walked to the exit of the backstage area. Milo furrowed his brow, vaguely aware that Daniel was now on stage battling Lady Cucombre. Jake stood in the corner sulking.

“Wait!” he cried, as Luna opened the door to go. “What is your surname?”

But it became apparent she didn’t hear, for the door slammed and the girl was gone. Milo sighed, settling himself into a squishy armchair. Luna was so mysterious…so odd…but she had an ethereal quality about her Milo liked. It was just a shame he didn’t take the time to learn anything about her. As his eyes drifted to the screen, where Daniel’s Donphan sped at Cucombre’s Kadabra, he saw Jake staring longingly towards him.

“I’m sorry,” Milo muttered, making his way over. “Is your nose ok?”

“It’s fine,” Jake snapped. “The bleeding stopped.”

“Good…” Milo muttered. “I guess I’m not your favourite person right now, huh.”

“I’m in awe at your intuition,” Jake replied.

“I just don’t like the way you are with Totodile,” Milo explained. “He did so well in that appeal, and yet you judge him on his appearance - for whatever reason, he looks different to a well-bred Totodile and he can’t do anything about that. It’s not like he has a ridge missing or his tail has been cut off. He’s a different colour. And you should have seen the look on the poor guy’s face when that judge chastised him for it. For something he can’t change.”

“We’ve had this conversation before,” Jake said. “I feel one way about the issue and you feel another. The more we talk about it the further we’re going to go around in circles.”

“So why don’t we just…not talk about it,” Milo said. “Bite our tongues?”

“Suits me,” Jake replied. “You did really well against Luna, you know. She’s got quite a few ribbons.”

“Do you know her surname?” Milo asked.

“No, why?”

“No reason,” Milo muttered.

“Daniel is an awesome trainer,” Jake said, watching as Donphan sped along like a tire. Kadabra teleported and fired a psybeam through the air.

“Looks like I’ll be battling him,” Milo said, noticing his low the crazy fortune teller’s appeal gauge was.

“Just keep a cool head. Don’t let him intimidate you with his strategy,” Jake said.

“It would be a fitting end if I could win this,” Milo said. “Overcome the obstacles I faced in Olivine. I could come away from this whole thing with a bit of knowledge under my belt.”

“End?” Jake said.

“Sure,” Milo replied. “Shove this ribbon down Mia’s throat and show her that I can do this as well as her.”

“You’re going home after this?” Jake asked.

“What else would I do?” Milo asked him. Jake said nothing as the timer was up and Daniel had succeeded in beating Lady Cucombre. The audience applauded Daniel’s efforts as he recalled his Donphan and left the arena to get a quick drink and use the bathroom. During the brief interval, highlights from the contest were played to the audience on the plasma screens.

“A powerful curse on your life!” screamed Lady Cucombre.

“Nice one,” Milo said to Daniel.

“Thanks,” he replied. “You and me next.”

“Remember where your loyalties lie, Jakey,” Milo joked. Jake said nothing, staring at the ground sadly.

In no time Milo found himself back on the arena, Medicham at his side. The screen showed Milo’s picture and Medicham’s beneath him. Daniel stood opposite, his burly Donphan at his side. The elephant had curved tusks and a long trunk, with thick legs and narrow eyes. Frankie was reiterating the rules to the audience only briefly, while the judges sat at their desks and watched. Morty gave a thumbs up at Milo.

“Medicham VS Donphan for possession of the Ecruteak Ribbon!” Frankie said. “BEGIN!”

“Donphan go into rollout!” Daniel ordered. Leaping up, Donphan tucked in and sped along the arena. Medicham watched carefully, jumping to avoid the speedy Pokemon. As she landed into a crouch position she turned, eyeing Donphan as he turned sharply and sped back along.

He should be easy enough to defeat, Milo thought to himself. He relies on speed to boost his attacks. We just need to take that away.

“Medicham dodge!” Milo said. She leapt up and rolled in mid-air, landing on a different part of the arena as Donphan gave another sharp turn. “Now! Throw it off!”

Holding her hand out, a quick swipe send a psychic rift which caused Donphan to wobble off balance. He screeched to a stop and unfurled, looking around at the skinny psychic Pokemon. He grumbled, leaping into a ball and rolling along again towards Medicham.

“Psychic to hold him in the air!” Milo said. Medicham nodded and, with her hand, began exerting enough power to slow Donphan down. His rolling got slower and slower until eventually he was simply stopped. Medicham lifted her hand and caused the elephant to rise into the air, higher and higher. Milo noticed that, due to Donphan still trying to move, it was causing Medicham more power to control him.

“Good! Psycho Cut!”

Medicham, with one hand held forward, pressed two fingers from her other hand to her temple, before flinging them sideways and sending a strip of glowing energy through the air. It smashed into Donphan’s tender stomach and caused him to roar in pain. He fell to the ground with a thump.

Milo’s eyes quickly shot to the screen. He had the edge over Daniel. Donphan pawed the ground and gave a roar, slamming his feet into the arena and sending a tremor out in the form of an intense shockwave. Medicham simply crossed her legs and levitated off the ground.

“Donphan! Rollout!” Daniel said. His Pokemon got up and tucked in, but sped away Medicham, who bobbed on the air merrily. She fired swift stars in the air to entertain the crowd as Donphan seemingly raced towards the solid wall.

“Now! Leap!” Daniel cried. Still metres away from the wall, Donphan leapt out of the circular shape and pressed into the wall, boosting himself up in the air and tucking back into the ball within seconds. Due to the large domed ceiling, Donphan whooshed up towards the ceiling with plenty of speed. Milo watched in awe. The judges cheered on, impressed by the feat.

“Now body slam!” Daniel commanded. At the peak of the dome, Donphan dropped from the ceiling, spinning to gain more speed. Medicham looked suddenly and was completely engulfed beneath the bulky Pokemon. Flattened, she opened her eyes blearily to see Donphan use one of his paws to stomp down on her brittle body. She screamed in agony.

“Another!” Daniel said. “Stomp!”

“Psychic, repel his foot!” Milo snapped. Medicham was too weak to repel her opponent, who smashed down on her arm this time. Milo’s skin crawled with every cry from his friend. Suddenly, as Donphan leapt down for another body slam, Medicham rolled out of the way and flipped backwards, feet touching the ground with grace. She placed both hands to her temples and launched a double psycho cut, flinging two glowing strips of energy to strike and slice into Donphan like red-hot knifes.

“Now hurl him into the wall with psychic!” Milo said, as Medicham gathered her strength. It seemed she was tiring, however, and her fling dispelled Donphan with only mild force. He tucked into a ball and used the propulsion to speed along the arena and leap onto the wall again, shooting right up the domed ceiling and back down the opposing wall. Turning, Medicham was met with the colossal beast smashing right into her. She flew back, rolling along the arena as Donphan gave a triumphant toot.

Medicham got up, swaying on the spot. She was taking a battering from this armoured beast and due to the subsequent blows to her body, her concentration was off. Milo felt a repeat of the Olivine Contest wash over him like painful déjŕ vu, but knew he had to let Medicham get some focus.

“Donphan go for double edge!” Daniel ordered. Donphan leapt into a rolling tackle but wobbled off course and had to skid to stop colliding into the audience. All the rapid speeding had made the creature dizzy. Milo smiled at the opportunity, but knew not to go in fists blazing.

“Medicham take the time to focus,” said Milo. She nodded, standing still and narrowing her eyes at the foe. The time was ticking away, and Milo’s gauge was much lower than Daniel’s. At this rate, he would lose the contest.

“Donphan go for another rollout!” ordered Daniel.

“Swift assault!” said Milo. Speeding along the arena, Donphan was met by a slew of furiously speeding stars. Some would be evaded by the elephant leaping over them, but many clattered against his armour and disrupted his assault.

“Keep going!” Daniel urged. “Jump off! Body Slam!”

Donphan leapt out of the roll and propelled himself into the air, before spreading his limbs wide and flying down at Medicham. Her fingers throbbed and she flicked a slice of telekinetic energy at the Pokemon’s exposed belly. Struck, Donphan was bowled out the air and landed on the arena again. Medicham looked at him coldly.

“Alright let’s finish this!” Daniel cried. “Hyper beam!”

Donphan nodded and lifted his trunk as a glowing orb of orange energy built in his mouth. Medicham watched, her eyes scanning the domed ceiling. Giving an almighty roar, he blasted the intense beam through the air. It hurtled along rapidly, but Medicham was prepared. She held her hands out before her and diverted the beam, causing it to split either side of her and whoosh across the arena. She turned, focusing it with her mind and steering it up the curved walls. With the ferocious intensity fuelled with telekinesis, the hyper beam was like a rollercoaster as it sped along the ceiling, coming back around and racing along the arena, smashing into Donphan. Hurtled through the air by his own powerful attack, Donphan flew at Medicham, who used a psychic to fling him helplessly into the ground.

“Good work!” Milo shouted. Donphan began to get back up as the timer went off. Milo looked at the screen, which showed Medicham’s gauge to be slightly higher.

“And that’s the end!” Frankie cried. “With the highest appeal gauge, Milo Mitchelson is the winner of the Ecruteak Contest!”

“Shit!” Milo cried. “Medi!”

She smiled at him, still gasping for air. Confetti burst from the ceiling in a variety of colours as the audience cheered loudly. Daniel recalled his Donphan and began whistling with his fingers, while Jake leapt up and down backstage.

“Milo we give you the Ecruteak Ribbon as a sign of your victory today,” said Veronica Grimm, who had, with the other judges, got up to join him on the stage. In a little box, like ones in which watches were often presented, the ribbon lay on a velvet cushion. It was a golden disc with a star engraved on the front. Two thick strands of violet material hung from the disc, streaked with white and silver. Milo turned it over, where it read ‘Successful Victory in the Ecruteak City Pokemon Contest’.

“Thanks,” Milo said, snapping the box shut and holding it in his hands. He couldn’t wait to show his sister this.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

It was evening time. After vowing to keep in touch with Daniel (but not feeling too bothered either way), Milo and Jake walked to Milo’s favourite pub, The Salty Dog. It was a little pub on the outskirts of the city which was quiet and inconspicuous.

“I think I preferred Starboard Sixty,” muttered Jake, noticing the grimy décor and homely feel.

“It’s a pub Jake; nice and simple,” Milo said, giving him his pint. “Ecruteak is famous for its cask ales.”

“Oh,” Jake said, taking a mouthful of the foamy ale. His face twitched.

“Sissy,” Milo muttered, having a drink.

“So what’s next for Milo Mitchelson?” Jake asked.

“Home I guess,” Milo said. “You?”

“I don’t know,” Jake said. “I was expecting this journey to be slightly more…long-term.”

“Well why carry on?” Milo asked, brushing foam from his top lip. “I’ve proven to Mia that I can compete. I’ve got proof that I can do what she does. Now I can go to the Johto League and give these idiots what for.”

“Oh yea,” Jake said. “The incriminating photo.”

At that moment, the rumbling of the clouds outside were broken by a piercing clap. Milo looked outside to see the rain lashing furiously against the windows while forks of lightening flashed through the sky.

“Was that thunder?” Jake asked.

“Think so,” Milo said. He suddenly felt a sharp pain in his temple and screwed his eyes shut.

“It’s them,” he said. “The Eevee sisters.”

“What?” Jake asked.

“I felt something…they’re outside…in my head…” he muttered.

“They’re here?” Jake said. “Well come on! Let’s go!”

He hastily poured his ale into a plant pot and walked to the bar.

“Is there a back entrance?” he asked the man.

“Maybe,” the gruff, beardy bartender said.

“Can we use it?” he enquired.

“Maybe,” came the response.

“Fuck that,” Milo said. “I’ll take them on.”

He walked to the door and unbolted it, stepping out into the stormy night. As thunder rumbled along like the earth itself was irritable, Milo saw the five girls silhouetted against the flashes of lightening. Jolteon’s pins seemed longer, thicker; maybe it was causing the stormy weather or merely benefiting from it. Jake ran outside after Milo and stopped when he saw the girls.

“Hello Milo!” called Molly. Espeon was at her side. “Did you get my message?”

“You mean mental trauma?” Milo asked. “Yea. Got it.”

“Good,” she replied coldly. She wore a soft pink trench coat. “Frankie tells me you won the contest today. Congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Milo replied. “Who says we can’t be civil?”

“Shut up,” Frankie snapped.

“Hey Franko, where’s Flareon?” Milo asked. He knew the rain would not render her particularly useful, but enjoyed taunting her slightly. The other Pokemon - Umbreon and Vaporeon - were also present. Maybe Vaporeon amplified the lashing rain, which ran down Milo’s soppy hair and down his face.

“Give us the phone,” Molly ordered. “Or we attack.”

“I’m not giving you anything,” Milo said, as Medicham came out of the pub. “We’ll fight you just like last time.”

“No you won’t,” Rochelle said coldly. Her Umbreon’s rings glowed powerfully. Her black leather jacket had a gold zip and she wore skinny black jeans. “We have prepared for that. RISE UP!”

Milo looked as, all around them, purple creatures burst into the sky. They were Haunter. The big creatures hovered all around, their pointed faces sneering as their hands worked separate from their bodies. There must have been twenty, swarmed around them like evil clouds.

“The Haunter are using imprison,” Rochelle said calmly. “Medicham is useless.”

Medicham looked at her hands; throbbing with a red tinge. Jake looked worried. Milo watched the girls stand proudly before him like an impenetrable barricade. He felt for Totodile’s Pokeball. He was not going to go without a fight.

“So what does that mean?” Milo asked, trying to find some time.

“It means you are not leaving until you hand over the phone,” Molly said. “Espeon. Use a psychic. Get the phone from him.”

Milo felt his body tremble as an invisible force writhed across him. His phone slowly lifted from his pocket but as it did, there was a bright flash and a sudden shriek. Grabbing his phone as it fell from the air, Milo saw Jake had released his Pichu, who used an electric attack to zap Espeon. Being doused in rain amplified the electricity and caused the feline great pain. Jake showed determination as the little rodent brimmed with sparks.

“Wingull!” he said, his Pokemon bursting from its ball. “Aerial ace Espeon!”

“Jolteon use a thunder attack,” Vanessa ordered coldly. A bright bang filled the evening as thunder burst from Jolteon’s spikes. Struck, Wingull gave a shriek and fell from the skies, charred from the intense heat given off. Jake gave a loud cry, running towards his Pokemon as Milo had Totodile fire an ice beam at Espeon. The water covering her meant she was encased in a light layer of frost over her body, rendering her somewhat immobile.

“Let’s go, Totodile,” Milo said, pushing the clasp on his Pokemon’s ball and sending out his little blue alligator.

“Umbreon go for a quick attack,” Rochelle said. Umbreon sped along like an inky blur and smashed into Totodile, who flew back and rolled along the ground.

“Medicham, focus on your fighting skills,” Milo said. “Focus Punch on Umbreon.”

“Haunters!” screamed Rochelle. “Night shade!”

Despite racing along towards Umbreon, Medicham was struck by twenty arrows of piercing darkness. They all zoomed in and smashed into her with a shuddering burst of crackling shadow, causing her to collapse in the middle of the makeshift battlefield. Milo watched in horror, his Pokemon twitching slightly. Umbreon stared coldly at the foe. Totodile leapt to dodge an electric attack from Jolteon, while Pichu unleashed lightening to shock Vaporeon.

“Espeon break out the ice,” snapped Molly. “Psychic! Get the phone!”

“NO!” Milo shouted. Light suddenly flooded his senses as a Gengar swept across the skies, letting out a reverberating cry that seemed to scare the Haunters. Milo watched as the Gengar fired off a shadow ball to smash into Espeon and hurl her along the city. She smashed into the corner of The Salty Dog.

“Milo!” came a call. Morty rushed onto the scene. “What the fuck is going on?”

“Stay out of this Morty,” Rochelle said crossly. “Umbreon confuse ray!”

“Pichu use thundershock!” Jake said urgently. Pichu let off a burst of sparks that Umbreon quickly shook off. Gengar threw a shadow punch into Vaporeon’s side as Totodile was struck by Jolteon’s thunderbolt attack.

“Where did the Haunter go?” Milo asked.

“They’re all wild,” Morty said. “Gengar scared them away.”

“Morty stop fighting us you fucking idiot!” Rochelle said. “He’s trying to ruin us!”

“I’m trying to get your job back,” Milo explained. Medicham got to her feet, dusted herself off and flung Jolteon away from Totodile with a psychic attack. The little alligator smiled at Medicham, who returned it warmly.

“He has pictures of Molly snorting coke! In YOUR Club!” Rochelle screamed wildly. Her hair was becoming frizzy and tangled in the rain.

“Really?” Morty asked. Espeon threw Milo into the wall, where he collapsed into a heap. The phone rose from his pocket, with Umbreon firing a shadow ball into Medicham to prevent her intervention. Totodile fired a water gun at the ground to propel himself away from Jolteon’s lightening strike.

“It’s…to bribe the Johto League Council with,” Milo grunted, clutching his stomach. “Totodile! Use ice fang on Umbreon!”

Totodile leapt amid the frenzy and sank his teeth into Umbreon’s leg, concentrating hard and unleashing a flurry of ice to seep into the Pokemon’s wound. Umbreon gave a long cry and shook his leg but it did nothing; Totodile was clamped down fast.

“I’VE GOT IT!” Molly screamed, grabbing the phone as it floated towards her. “Good work Espeon. GOOD WORK!”

Espeon nodded.

“Jolteon go for a thunder attack on Gengar,” said Vanessa. Medicham got up and used her telekinesis, waiting until Jolteon unleashed the dangerous attack before redirecting it into Vaporeon, who gave a scream as sparks infiltrated her soft skin. Milo got to his feet slowly.

“Gengar use faint attack!” Morty yelled. Molly turned to run from the scene, but met the large Gengar head on. Gengar swung his fist and phased it into Molly’s stomach, causing her to gasp as she fell back in shock. She collapsed to the ground instantly.

Morty ran over to Molly, whose face was a deathly pale. He took the phone from her hands. Frankie ran over while Rochelle and Vanessa battled Milo and Jake. Una recalled her Vaporeon. Pichu rolled along the ground, defeated at Umbreon’s shadow ball attack, while Milo had Medicham take on Jolteon, who was summoning more bolts of lightening to strike from the skies.

“Fend them off with psychic!” Milo ordered. “Totodile, douse Jolteon with water!”

Piercing arrows of lightening flew through the air. Her hands sweeping left and right, conducting an orchestra of the elements, Medicham sent the attacks off into the skies instead. Totodile blasted a cold jet of water to strike the nimble electric type, soaking its needles.

“FRANKIE!” screamed Rochelle. Milo looked to see Frankie rise off the ground and fly through the air, Gengar hurling her telekinetically. She thudded into the hard earth, unconscious. Molly lay feet away, shaking.

“SOMEONE GET HELP!” Una screamed. Milo, Jake and Vanessa all ran over to the scene. As Vanessa went to see the unconscious Frankie, a few metres away, Milo and Jake knelt down at Molly’s side as she drifted back into consciousness.

“H-H-He’s got the phone,” Molly whispered.

“Morty?“ Una snapped. “Where is he?” Una snapped.

“He’s fled,” Vanessa noted.

“That’s my fucking phone!” Milo shouted. Totodile and Medicham were with him, while Wingull perched wearily on Jake’s shoulder.

“THIS IS YOUR FAULT!” screamed Rochelle.

“I think you’ll find you brought this whole thing on,” Milo replied. Rochelle attempted a kick, but Medicham flung her back several feet, causing her to almost topple over. Rochelle looked at Medicham, who stood in front of Milo.

“Where would he go?” Jake asked.

“He went south out the city,” Milo said.

“What is he doing?” Rochelle asked. “Stealing the phone with the picture on it?”

“Maybe he doesn’t want it happening to you,” Milo said, beginning to understand. “Maybe he empathises with you a bit.”

“Empathy?” Vanessa asked. “Why would he empathise?”

“…because I did the same thing to him,” Milo muttered.

“That’s how Morty got ruined?” Una asked. “You made his habits into some scandal?”

“And you thought you’d do that to US?” snapped Vanessa. “You fucking toad!”

“I’m going to get it back off him,” Milo explained. “Come on Jake.”

And with that, the two fled Ecruteak City beneath the lightening-struck sky. Angered, Vanessa got out her phone as Milo took one last fleeting look at the once peaceful city, before shielding his face from the rain and running towards the salvation of the forest canopy ahead.

Next Chapter
    Milo and Jake's pursuit of Morty leads them to the National Park, closed to the public due to the Bug Catching Contest. Under the pretence of competing for the top prize, Milo and Jake split up to try and find Morty, who appears to be hiding in the Park. Milo is hindered by an irritating retro detective who is hellbent on securing the 1st prize, while Jake makes a new friend in his bid to become a better trainer.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

Default Re: Show-Off - Chapter 7 posted!

Wow. A very action filled chapter.

Things I liked:

~ The contest description. I love the way that those contest appeals are so descriptive. Ive never done contests in any game, so I guess that I don't know whether you're just super creative or that's just the norm But I enjoy it anyway so I guess that's a plus.

~ I like Jake, although I feel his role is a little under developed. It's not very realistic to go on with someone unless you're both travelling for a purpose, or unless you like them. Does he like Milo?

~ I love your writing style No more said, it is so fascinating to read!

~ The opening of the chapter. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Great way to open and shake things up a bit!

~ I like the way that Milo exposing Morty came back to bite him in the ass. Very nicely done.

Things I didn't like:

~ Milo's headbutting of Jake. What was with that? Surely nobody would react that angrilly? I understand him being upset, but headbutting? Yah. And I feel bad for Jake. As if someone would stay around like that, wouldn't he just leave and return somewhere? Or does Jake have nowhere to return to?

~ Chasing Morty for the phone. It really reminds me of Misty chasing Ash for her bike.

~ Milo's personality. It's interesting how I like reading this so much, yet don't like the main character. Interesting...

Yay

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

Awesome chapter.

The intro was very random, which connected with the main plot at a perfect time. Interesting to say the least.

The contest was ok, I just don't like them very much. The whole story around the contest was awesome though. Luna's (yes I guessed it) appearence was cool, she really treated that poor Slowpoke well.

I'm interested in Morty, he's run off, why? There must be more to this, or I'm to paranoid.

The Eevee-sisters are really getting into the groove now. Silly girls. They seem to blame everything on everybody else, which seems very immature for their age.

I sympathised with poor Toto when the mayor kinda bad-mouthed him. A shame.

Jake is really turning into a great character. I really like him now. They'll get to know eachother better and maybe learn something from eachother, atleast I hope so in Milo's case.

Lol @ the Drifloon.

Dream Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Haha. I love this quote.

“A flash of lightening!” she cried. “An ally betrays you!”

“No kidding,” Jake snarled, staring at Milo. He rolled his eyes and walked on stage.

By the way, you did it again - it's "lightning"

I'm having a harder and harder time imagining that I'll ever like Milo just because of past revelations or future epiphanies. Aside from being a total dick, he's a darn good hypocrite. He can lecture people about making fun of Totodile's color, yet he doesn't bat an eyelid when he ruins other people's lives. Maybe he should impose his "morals" on his own actions.

Luna was interesting. I wonder if we'll see her again, if Milo continues his contest journey. The fact that he found her intriguing is weird, considering that he doesn't really care about the girls that he seduces. Also relating from a previous comment, I find it very hard to believe that he was ever in love, ever. What an unlucky girl that must have been.
    ~ Lune ~

Master Trainer

Haha the lightening/lightning complex reminds me of my fourteen year old days, where the word lose had become loose.

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Pancake: Hi! Aw there's lots to learn about Jake. He's fiercely loyal to Milo, could he like him? Maybe he has an ulterior motive. Nevertheless I am working on his development; we'll see some real growth for him in upcoming chapters. Jake is sort of named after and based off someone I've never met. He's surprisingly mature for his age; I wrote him in at being 17/18ish. I think he came out at a very young age, and I don't expect his parents to have been supportive.

I'm glad you love the contests. They're a lot of fun to write! As for headbutt; yeesh, out of nowhere? Milo's wreckless and violent; he's inconsiderant and brutish. The key here is that readers can't quite empathise or understand him. I don't want to create a monster here, but the arc of the fic wherein we learn a lot more about his character is coming ever closer. And through Jake, he does learn to...grow a bit.

I'm glad you liked the Benjamin Brady thing. A lot of chapters don't start frm Milo's POV. I just like weaving him and Jake into a current situation. It's quite a common theme.

MLG: There's a lot more to Morty. It has to do with Milo ratting him out as a druggie. Next chapter Milo hunts Morty down in the National Park, but Morty has enough knowledge of Milo to really tug at his soul.

Jake's great. He gets so much abuse from Milo and soon he cracks. He balances out Milo's wild side, and in the fic we'll get a great scope on this young guy. I think all he wants is to be loved...and that's certainly not a rare thing.

Lune: Damnit ><
    Certainly Milo's flashbacks etc don't endear him to readers; how can they?! But he does grow as a character; he's only 20 or so and has so much to expirience, which he does during the fic. But in Goldenrod we really learn a lot about the Mitchelson family. I am excited for it.

Milo won't exist as a character who the audience support, but as his creator, i just see him as misunderstood and angry. I like him :/ :p I think his hypocrisy is something that is prevalant in the world so much. Hypocrites are so common. He is a great example of someone not willing to follow his own guidelines.

I think he liked Luna's purity and self assurance. As for his old flame....what an intriguing tale we have. It might have to wait until Chapter 9

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

Lol you keep telling us that its all in the next chapter, it's all in the next chapter

Can't you just post the next chapter???

2009 Silver Pencils:

Dream Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I dislike him for many reasons, but the main one is the way he treats women like sex toys and he nearly strangled Jasmine's sister for no good reason just because he was angry, and that is utterly unforgivable. Nevermind the rudeness, nevermind the hypocrisy, nevermind how he manipulates everyone including his friends to his own benefit; to treat human beings like objects is just something that I will never, ever forget in a character. His attitude actually extends to more than just the women he seduces; take a look at Jake for example. This is no longer a matter of inexperience with the world, or (god forbid) extended puberty, or immaturity in general; it is a fundamental part of someone's character that makes up who they are. I could perhaps shrug off his rudeness since there are lots of nastier people in the world, shrug off his hypocrisy since humans are admittedly selfish creatures, but this I cannot forgive.

That said, in spite of my hate for Milo, I am here reading the fic I would still like to find out what happens to him, etc. and learn about his past. But even if he reforms in the story, I don't expect to like him. Hate him less, perhaps, but there are some things that can't be taken back. This is possibly a personal issue that I have and one of my pet peeves against people. Having been a subject of bullying at school when I moved to the USA due to racism and the fact that I am introverted and don't like wearing dresses or drowning my face in perfume and make up, I just hate anyone that treats others like inferior beings. People do not have the right to act like they're better than other people. They don't have the right to treat other people like dirt to be stepped on.
    Last edited by Lune the Guardian; 10th June 2009 at 04:13 AM.
    ~ Lune ~

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Pancake: No you see because this builds suspense and I want to write a little bit more before I put the next chap up :p

Karin: I certainly hope Milo's vile characteristics have not upset you in any way; that would be distressing for me as a writer. You make some empassioned points about his deep rooted problems that I'm very awestruck by and almost ashamed of. All I can say is that I hope for Milo's sake he learns a few life lessons.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Dream Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Aah, no, don't feel ashamed, an author does not have to be ashamed of his creations. I understand the necessity for some likeable and not-so-likeable characters. I just have the tendency to treat characters like real people, and thus sometimes can have extreme feelings towards them. But I do agree with you, Milo needs to learn quite a few things. I hope you don't feel like I'm only picking on Milo; there are lots of main characters that I don't particularly like but I still enjoy reading the story. For example, if you've read the Eragon series, I don't like Eragon and Saphira very much, but I still really like the story.
    Last edited by Lune the Guardian; 10th June 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    ~ Lune ~

The slaughter never ends. Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I loved that opening scene. It was just funny as heck, how Benjamin was so enthusiastic about starting work there--and then along came Milo, and pop went that bubble. XD; I can practically hear an "air rushing out of a balloon" noise when I think about it. X3

There were certainly some interesting appeals there in that chapter. Mel and Luna's appeals each contained something particularly lovely, and I really liked the way Milo concluded his appeal. Oh, and Zach's appeal was certainly... memorable. o_o;

All those haunter being summoned when the eevee sisters confronted Milo and Jake added an interesting element to the scene, an element that I hadn't been expecting. Morty showing up and getting involved brought something really interesting to the scene, too, especially considering what's happened to that phone as a result.

...God, do I ever use the word "interesting" a lot. XD;

Other highlights:

“Just so you know,” Jake said coldly, as Milo sat down backstage. “You’re acting like a complete dick.”

“I didn’t sleep well,” Milo muttered. “And shut up.”
    I love the phrase "shut up". I just do. X3

“I think enthusiasm is important,” droned Veronica.
    Saying that the way that she said it there is pretty funny. XD

“Drifloon use ominous wind!” called Zach. It span around wildly, its tendrils whipping around it like blades, causing an eerie noise to reverberate around the dome-shaped room.

“That thing is weird,” Milo said.

“I’ve never even seen one before!” Luna remarked. There was a twisting pillar of sparkling wind that was soon taking over the arena; aided by the odd noise the wind made and the evil balloon, Milo was quite intrigued.
    I liked the way that attack's described there, particularly due to the sound it's described as making.

“Jumpluff spin around and use sleep powder!” she cried. The Pokemon leapt up and span, releasing a soft citrus-coloured pollen. It scattered in the air, before Jumpluff used its big appendages to flap wildly and send gusts of wind swooshing through the arena. As the glittering spores twisted into the rafters of the building from the sharp winds, some fell to the ground.

“Now, use a silver wind!” ordered Mel. Thick streaks of shining light burst through the sprinkled veil, before they themselves burst into a brilliant sparkle of silver light. Jumpluff landed deftly on Mel’s head as light showered down from above.
    Sounds pretty. ^^

A hearty blast of water shot through the air as Slowking used her mind to manipulate the jet. As she rose off the ground slowly, the jets of water orbited her like the rings of Saturn, the intelligent Pokemon focusing completely. Milo watched as the sparkling water shot around Slowking, sometimes blurring or cloaking it.

“Good!” Luna cried. Steadily, as the volume of water increased, Slowking opened her mouth slightly wider as icy crystals blasted out. As the pink Pokemon levitated among the spinning rings of water, the ice spread though the water and began to freeze it gradually, encasing her in a spherical shell of ice. She levitated within the icy domain.
    Also sounds pretty. ^^

Aiming at the ground, Totodile blasted a jet of water to propel himself up into the air. Claws glowing, he slashed apart one of the juggling balls, causing shreds of orange rubber to fall to the ground like confetti. Landing on the ground he was blasted back up into the air by another jet of water. This time, he sank his teeth into a spinning ball, using ice fang to freeze and shatter it in seconds. Flipping back, Totodile fell among sparkling shards as a final water gun was launched at the ground and he raced up towards the final orange ball. Tail shimmering with an aquamarine tinge, he whipped it around and sliced clean through it, before landing on the ground.
    That was cool. Definitely my favorite part of Milo's appeal. ^^

As his body glowed brightly, Lunatone sped along the arena like a meteor. The other clones did likewise, streaking around Medicham in different coloured blurs. Sparkles bounced from the different rocks as they moved, some circling and some spinning wildly.
    Some pretty cool visuals there. ^^

Donphan nodded and lifted his trunk as a glowing orb of orange energy built in his mouth. Medicham watched, her eyes scanning the domed ceiling. Giving an almighty roar, he blasted the intense beam through the air. It hurtled along rapidly, but Medicham was prepared. She held her hands out before her and diverted the beam, causing it to split either side of her and whoosh across the arena. She turned, focusing it with her mind and steering it up the curved walls. With the ferocious intensity fuelled with telekinesis, the hyper beam was like a rollercoaster as it sped along the ceiling, coming back around and racing along the arena, smashing into Donphan. Hurtled through the air by his own powerful attack, Donphan flew at Medicham, who used a psychic to fling him helplessly into the ground.
    And that's a pretty cool move on Medicham's part. ^^

Medicham got to her feet, dusted herself off and flung Jolteon away from Totodile with a psychic attack. The little alligator smiled at Medicham, who returned it warmly.
    I thought that part there was cute. ^^

Boss work on the latest chapter--I'll be sure to read the next, too. ^^

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sike: Interesting is a good word to sum up the chapter. Thanks! I am glad you liked Luna's little appearence. She has every chance of turning up later in the fic.

Here is Chapter 8!

Show-Off
    -VIII-
    Flying Grasshopper

Andrew McEvitt sat at his desk on the island of Pua Samoa. A gentle summer breeze wafted through his window as his Pidgeotto scanned the skies. He was doing some paperwork for Meredith and negotiating a hotel room for Mia when his phone rang.

“Hello, Andrew McEvitt speaking,” he said.

“Andrew it’s Milo,” came a breathless reply.

“Milo?” Andrew asked. “What number is this?”

“It’s my friend Jake’s,” Milo replied.

“Where is your phone?” Andrew asked.

“That’s what I sort of wanted to ask you,” Milo replied. “Do you still have a GPS tracker on my phone?”

“Of course,” Andrew replied.

“Can you send the coordinates to this number I’m calling off?” Milo asked.

“Milo, what’s going on?” Andrew asked.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’ve had my phone stolen,” he snapped.

“Your father won’t be impressed, that thing is top of the range,” Andrew muttered. Milo said nothing, so Andrew began typing into his computer. “Ok. It says that whoever has your phone is in the National Park. They haven’t moved for a while.”

“Good,” Milo said.

“How did you do in the Ecruteak Contest?” Andrew asked.

“I won,” Milo said quickly.

“Congratulations!” Andrew said, only to find Milo had hung up. “Milo? Hello?”

Milo’s hair was ruffled. He had bags under his eyes and his clothes were soaked in sweat. On the forest path south of Ecruteak there were open stretches of road and some sheltered, wilder areas. Milo and Jake had passed the fork to Violet City and instead carried on towards the National Park. They had walked all night, Milo apparently not satisfied with the idea of sleeping rough. Most the Pokemon were exhausted after the fierce melee with the Eevee sisters, but there was not a Pokemoncenter in sight.

“Morty’s in the National Park,” Milo told Jake.

“By the way,” Jake muttered, still in his polka dot shirt from the previous day. “I know you asked Andrew to send the coordinates to my phone, but my phone doesn’t have any of that technology.”

“For fucks sake,” Milo snapped.

“Oh, pardon me!” Jake said. “Sorry for not having a silver spoon in my mouth and a heap of cash to my name!”

“I forgive you,” said Milo.

“I WAS BEING SARCASTIC!” screamed Jake.

“And loud,” Milo mused. The walk was peaceful as it was so early in the day; Milo saw a number of Pineco in the trees, squinting at the intense sunlight bearing down on them. A flock of Spearow flew along the skies, circling the pointed firs containing the delicious treats.

Milo was unnerved by the idea of confronting Morty, but also understood his stance on the matter. Perhaps after being intimate with Rochelle, he felt he needed to protect them from a potentially damaging scandal. If only Milo could have explained that he never intended to distribute the photo…it was merely a scare tactic. He could explain this to Morty when they found him.

“It will be hard finding Morty in the National Park,” Jake said, as they walked on. He seemed irritated that all their belongings were still in Ecruteak. Milo had assured him that Medicham would teleport the cases to wherever they would be staying next, but only when she was feeling better.

“We’ll manage,” Milo said. They stopped for a quick break, their bodies aching with constant walking and dehydration in what would seem to be a sunny day. The trees dripped rainwater to the ground below, forming puddles for wild Pokemon to bathe in. Milo saw a Sentret family splashing playfully and briefly hated them, if only for their carefree attitude.

“Is everyone ok?” Milo asked, releasing his Pokemon. Ruby the Arcanine seemed fine; she nuzzled Jake affectionately, seeming to have taken a liking to the boy. Medicham looked exhausted, covered in scratches and bruises, while Totodile was oddly quiet. Milo stared at the two of them with sadness in his heart. Jake and his Pichu took a look at Wingull, who was limp and breathing slowly.

“Ruby, sniff out some berries. These guys need some nutrition,” Milo said. Ruby wandered off with trepidation, sniffing the ground. Milo soon began to wonder if a lavish lifestyle had eradicated Ruby’s basic instinct to find food, but left her to it as Jake sobbed over his Wingull.

“I’m sure Wingull will be ok,” Milo muttered.

“Well there isn’t a Pokemoncenter for miles!” Jake wept.

“Thanks for your help,” Milo said quietly. “You were great last night.”

“I was rubbish,” Jake corrected him. “But…you’re welcome.”

“Hey Totodile,” Milo said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out his ribbon. “I forgot to show you this.”

Totodile paused and looked up at the ribbon.

“This is what you helped me get, you know yesterday?” he said. “We won!”

Totodile smiled happily, racing to the nearest puddle and leaping into it. Medicham walked over and cleansed her wounds in the rainwater, flinching when the water made contact with her grazes but enduring the mild sting. She also rubbed water into Totodile’s back, making sure his ridges were clean. Milo put the ribbon away and watched his Pokemon bond.

Ruby soon emerged from the deeper part of the woods holding a hat in her mouth. She dropped it at Milo’s feet and sat proudly. Milo examined the hat curiously.

“No berries?” he asked.

Ruby just stared.

“You want me to fill our stomachs with a fucking hat?”

Ruby barked angrily, looking hurt.

“Milo, it’s Morty’s hat,” Jake noted. Milo’s eyes widened and he snatched it up, wondering if Morty had snagged it on his way through the woods.

“He went that way,” Milo said. “Good work Ruby!”

Ruby seemed cross at Milo and opted to walk a little bit further ahead than them. Recalling Medicham, Totodile, Wingull and Pichu, the two boys ran through the overgrowth and leapt over bushes as they followed the trail. Sniffing the hat, Ruby raced ahead, finding Morty’s scent and following it. Soon the path they ran along opened up, and they came to a ridge overlooking the Gate House to the National Park.

“Well, we sort of knew he was here,” Milo muttered. “Thanks Ruby.”

He recalled Ruby and decided, for now, to sport Morty’s beanie. It covered up his hair, which was particularly messy. They walked down the ridge towards the large entrance to the National Park, both spurred on by the sign above the doors reading ‘ROOMS AVAILABLE’.

They pushed open the doors and were met with a well decorated entrance. There were escalators leading to a café and a small travel lodge, while downstairs had a Pokemoncenter, videophone, a small store and the big doors leading to the park. There were big glossy maps of the park on the walls with a few people exploring the welcome centre.

“Should we get a room booked?” Jake said. Milo ignored him, instead going to the Pokemoncenter and handing over his three Pokemon. The stylist soon followed, healing his Wingull and Pichu.

“I think we should go for a shower,” Milo said, as the nurse went to deal with a different trainer.

“Won’t we need a room?” Jake asked. “Surely the showers are in the room?”

“We’ll just sneak in,” Milo said, stepping on the escalator. They rose to the upper floor, where a friendly looking girl manned a desk. “Ok, I’ll charm the girl and distract her. We get a key, use showers, bish-bash-bosh.”

“What do I do?” Jake asked.

“Just…play along,” Milo muttered. As they came up the upper floors, Milo could see the corridor leading to the rooms, so Jake pretended to read a magazine in a seating area. Milo approached the girl.

“Excuse me,” he said smoothly. “How much is a room?”

“Depends what room you want!” the girl giggled.

“Well,” Milo said. “A room with a view.”

“Oh,” she said. “Umm…Ł30 a night.”

“And let’s say I want a double bed,” Milo added.

“Ł35.”

“With internet access.”

“All our rooms have internet access.”

“Well, what if I - really?” he asked. “You know that’s very good, a lot of places don’t accommodate for internet buffs. Anyway. What if I want a mini fridge?”

“Ł37,” she explained. “Plus an additional charge for the following items. Canned drinks: +Ł1.50. Bag ‘O’ Nuts: +Ł0.90. Mars Bar: Ł1.00 -”

“Okay, okay,” Milo said. “What if I want a Jacuzzi bed?”

“We don’t have Jacuzzi beds,” she replied.

“What if I wanted a Jacuzzi fitted into my bed? Could you do that?”

“Under regulation 13a you would need to pay for the labour costs, so unless you planned on living here long-term I wouldn’t recommend it,” she explained.

“You know the ins and outs of the pricing system, don’t you?” Milo observed.

“I have to,” she replied sternly. “I am Deputy Assistant to the Supervisor-In-Chief.”

“This is taking too long!” Jake cried. He hurled a book into a glass table, causing it to shatter into a million pieces. The girl on reception gave a shriek and ran over, allowing Jake to sneak under the desk and creep along the corridor. Milo grabbed the keys to room 07 and ran after his companion.

“SOMEONE CHECK THE REGULATIONS!” the girl screamed. “I ONLY KNOW BEDROOM-COST PROTOCOL!”

“That was great thinking!” Mili said, as they raced down the corridor.

“Yea, I was listening to her bore you and just thought ‘wow, I need a shower really bad. My armpits are making my eyes water’,” Jake said triumphantly. They jammed the key in the lock and turned, leading them to a small, but convenient little room. Milo locked it and raced into the bathroom.

“I call firsts!” Jake said.

“That’s going to be hard from outside the bathroom,” Milo said, locking the bathroom door.

“HEY!” Jake snapped. “I stole the key for you!”

“That’s your fault for trusting me,” said Milo, as he tore off his clothes and dived in the shower.

Half an hour later, Milo and Jake had each showered, and Milo had rung Andrew to get all of his and Jake’s baggage picked up from Ecruteak and sent to Goldenrod City. Andrew had booked them into the Mitchelson Suite of the Mal Maison hotel in Goldenrod. Since Milo's father Michael was frequently in Goldenrod on business, and Mia and Meredith visited a lot, they invested in their own floor of the luxury hotel.

Because it was on the other end of the National Park, Andrew suggested they headed there after whatever it was they were doing. Jake agreed, citing Goldenrod as the coolest place in Johto, but Milo was uncomfortable with the idea.

“I just don’t understand your rationale,” Jake said as they snuck past the hotel reception.

“Goldenrod is horrible,” Milo replied, carefully standing on the escalator and sinking down to the ground floor of the Route Gate.

“It is SO in,” Jake said. “There’s a big fashion show hosted by GoldenRebel magazine, they have an awesome department store, and there’s a huge Pokemon Contest there too.”

“And you think that entices me?” Milo asked.

“Yes,” Jake replied smugly.

“I won a contest, I proved my point,” Milo said defiantly. “Now I have to deal with the Johto League people.”

“Move around! Travel a bit,” Jake suggested. “You proved a few days ago that sneaking around isn’t your strong point, so gather evidence across the region. Talk to Gym Leaders past and present, piece together what’s happening! And compete in contests along the way.”

“You’re too keen,” Milo sighed.

“Look, I wouldn’t be this keen unless it was for a great reason,” Jake insisted. He was so focused on his pep talk he forgot to step off the escalator and fell flat on his face. Milo walked on through the Route Gate as Jake got back to his feet. “I saw you in Olivine. I saw you in Ecruteak. You’re good at this, Milo!”

“Soon you’ll have known me for long enough to reach the conclusion I’m good at everything I do,” Milo explained calmly. He approached the doors leading into the National Park, but was stopped by a young man in a suit.

“I’m terribly sorry Sir, but the National Park is off limits today,” he said.

“Why?” Milo asked.

“We’re hosting a Bug-Catching Contest in the park. It’s full of trainers,” he explained. “You are welcome to travel around the Park by going back outside and using Route 36...otherwise if you intend to explore the park, you must participate in the Contest.”

“Well,” Milo said, realising that Morty was indeed inside the National Park. “We’ll both compete then.”

“Very well,” the man said smoothly. “Oh! How sad. You don’t appear to have any Pokemon on you.”

“They’re being healed over there,” Milo replied, remembering that they would need a few hours before they had recuperated from the brawl last night. “…and how did you know that?”

“I just did,” the man said, smiling.

“That’s okay, I can get a couple guys from my team back home,” Milo said, dashing off to the nearest transfer phone. After a quick call, instructing his mother on how to use the machine (and enduring her cheers at his recent success), Milo came back with two black Pokeballs. An M was engraved on the top of each one. They went through the doors, where a portly man was talking to a gaggle of trainers.

“Here,” Milo said, handing a ball to Jake. “It’s my Golduck.”

“Thank you!” Jake said.

“This contest is a great cover up to find Morty,” Milo said excitedly. The portly man was explaining the rules to the group.

“You are only given ONE Park Ball each!” he said. “This means you have to be very selective which Pokemon you end up catching!”

A helper was walking around with a large wicker basket, handing the balls to each of the trainers. Milo saw some enthusiastic young trainers, one wearing a backwards cap, while he saw a shy, geeky girl keenly hoist her backpack onto her back when she received her Park Ball. Milo took his, noticing it was a dark green on top with two little red dots just above the button and a navy net pattern over the top half. It looked quite cool.

“You may wander anywhere in the park. We allow two hours for you to explore and enjoy the scenery! The tannoy system will alert you all when we are nearly finished. When you have caught your Pokemon you may either go to the South Gate to wait in silence or you may enjoy the park!”

He cleared his throat proudly.

“The first, second and third places win a FABULOUS prize,” he added. “Now! To give some words of wisdom we have fifteen-time winner of the Bug Contest, Barry ‘Bug-Eyes’ Bramble, here to offer some encouragement! Barry?”

A shady looking man got onto the small podium, wearing a trilby hat and a stone coloured trench coat. He was in his forties by the looks of things.

“Listen up you cock-eyed bunch of braided snakes,” he grumbled, in a gravely voice. “I’ve been roaming this park some three months now, and I’ve grown to know it’s tall grass and litter intolerance better than my ex wife’s plum pudding.”

“Who the hell is this guy?” Milo hissed to Jake.

“Few tips for the Dame’s and Daniel’s among us,” he said. “Don’t go past the fenced-off areas, unless you want to be mauled by the horrors of disobeying the rules. I hear a great deal of homeless people live past that fence due to the sources of nutrients thrown over said fence by people visiting the aforementioned park.”

“Do you live outside the fencing?” Milo asked, raising his hand. Barry ‘Bug-Eyes’ Bramble surveyed Milo for a moment.

“Yes.”

“Awesome,” Milo replied.

“My other salient piece of advice for those cotton-Jaspers among us,” he carried on. “Keep your eye on the tip of the blade, but only so long as to stop the tip penetrating the skin and leaking a tear of blood.”

“Thank you Barry Bramble!” gushed the organiser. “Ok everybody! Get ready for the Bug Hunt in three…two…one…

“GO!”

It was not the frenzy that he had hoped. Everyone calmly walked through the park, Pokeballs in hand as they looked for the best bug Pokemon. Milo instantly snatched Jake’s phone and rang Andrew again, getting him to mention the coordinates of his phone. It was still located in the National Park, meaning that was surely where Morty would be found.

“But what if he’s just ditched the phone?” Jake asked.

“Jake that was the thing he needed,” Milo sighed. “It would be a great twist in this already twisted story but it makes no sense.”

“Are you going to catch a bug?” Jake asked.

“I don’t know,” Milo replied. “Bug Pokemon are pretty shit. Heracross are kind of cool though.”

“I like Butterfree,” Jake said.

“You would,” Milo muttered. They walked past powerful oak trees along a cobbled path. A parent sat on a bench with her child, a Furret racing around the flower gardens, which were all kept in neat brick boxes. Here and there, the calm park veered off into slightly overgrown areas of grass, where the best bug Pokemon would be found.

“Look!” Jake said. “A Metapod!”

Sitting against the base of a tree was the curved, green pod. Jake ran over intently, bending down to look at its motionless face and big eyes.

“They evolve into Butterfree!”

“We have a mission at hand,” Milo reminded him.

“When in Rome,” Jake said. “Do what the Romans do! When in a Bug Catching Contest, catch a bug!”

“You do whatever you want,” Milo said. “I’m going north, where the signal was located. Send Golduck out and have him help you.”

“I will,” Jake said, eventually deciding that he would peel his gaze away from the Metapod in case he found a real Butterfree. Milo walked north, past a fork in the cobbled path, and got his Pokeball out. He threw it into the air and released his Pokemon - Flygon. He flapped his wings and lowered himself back down to the ground, smiling at Milo.

“Hey pal,” Milo said, as the large dragon nuzzled him. “Good to see you!”

He pointed ahead.

“I need you to go into the sky and look for Morty. You remember that guy, liked his heroin?”

Flygon nodded.

“I think he’s somewhere North. So just head that way and, you know, keep your eyes peeled. Let me know as soon as you see him,” he continued.

Flygon nodded and bolted up into the air within seconds, tearing across the sky to hunt Morty down. Milo gave a sigh and stuffed his hands in his pocket, wandering through the park. Despite the refreshing shower, he felt oddly bare; naked. Wishing he at least had the company of his Pokemon, Milo thought bringing his Rhydon along could have been fun. Just ahead, the geeky girl he saw before was using her Bellsprout to fight a speedy Ledyba. As Bellsprout summoned two vines to slap Ledyba and hold it in place, the girl arched her arm back and hurled the ball, where it hit the red bug and drew it inside a flash of sparkling green light.

“Yes!” she cried happily. Somewhere else, Milo saw a young boy chasing a Caterpie through the grass, his Swellow giving chase.

Just then, in the distance, a blue beetle was clinging tightly to one of the grand oak trees. Milo instantly recognised the large, impressive horn as a sign that this was a Heracross, and was excited to capture the rare beast. His hand brushed against his belt before he realised Flygon was scouting for Morty.

“Damnit,” Milo hissed, wondering where Jake was. Heracross seemed to be contently sucking sap from the tree, claws dug tightly into the thick bark. Bending down, Milo grabbed a rock and crept slowly towards the Pokemon. Maybe there was a swarm in the area, and he could find more of the creatures. Arching his arm back, he hurled the rock, but his aim was appauling; the rock clattered against the thick roots of the tree. Heracross looked at the rock, startled, and in no time popped its wings out and flapped through the air.

Sighing, Milo turned to walk on through the park when he came face to face with Barry Bramble and flinched.

“No need to be scared you yellow-bellied punk,” Barry muttered.

“You shouldn’t creep up on people like that,” Milo replied.

“To Creep is the essence of the bug,” Barry said. “Thus, in transition - Victory.”

“What!?” Milo snapped.

“Son, you’re a lot like me,” he said. “A lot like me. Too…much…like me. When I was your age all I had to my name was a sunshine smile and a pocketful of dreams. So sad…”

He paused.

“Where is your Pokemon?” he asked.

“Scouring the skies to find an ex-gym leader-turned-renegade-vigilante who stole my phone containing a picture of a local celebrity taking a Class A substance in a nightclub under a burned tower,” came a dry response.

“Typical,” said Bramble.

“No it isn’t!” Milo snapped. “It’s the most farcical pile of shit ever!”

“So you’re on a bug hunt with no Pokemon,” Barry mused.

“The hunt is a ruse to find this guy,” Milo pointed out. “But yes.”

“A boy once handsome, ravaged by loss,” Barry said powerfully. “Taken in by a weathered veteran with a keen eye for success. It’s sort of poetic, don’t you think?”

“Did you just call me ravaged?” Milo asked.

“Come!” Barry cried. “Time to go bug hunting with your old pal Barry ‘Bug-Eyes’ Bramble.

Milo rolled his eyes.

Jake, meanwhile, was walking through the sunny park, admiring the beautiful fountains and the intricate statues. It was quite empty, since many of the bug enthusiasts had ran into the overgrowths and off into the thicker areas of grass to try and find the best Pokemon they could. He thought back to Wingull and Pichu, his two closest companions, both being treated at the East Gate of the park. Last night had been so taxing on them, mentally and physically.

What if Milo was serious about going back home? Jake sat on a bench and placed his head in his hands, wondering if his escape from the monotony was truly going to be over. Maybe Paulo would give him his job back in Olivine. Probably not. Even if he were to venture back to the seaside town, what about a house? There would be new tenants in his flat, and he didn’t really have any funds to get somewhere new. After giving it some thought, Jake felt low. He got out the black Pokeball Milo gave him and opened it up, sending the creature out.

Golduck formed from the light; he flexed his muscles proudly and stood before Jake. He eyed Jake curiously.

“Hi!” Jake said. “Milo let me use you for the bug-catching contest. My name’s Jake.”

Golduck shrugged and walked off.

“Hey!” Jake said, turning around. Golduck blasted a jet of water into Jake’s face, causing him to stagger back and splutter wildly. The Golduck then leapt up, somersaulted and splashed into the large water feature in the park. “You’re supposed to listen to me!”

Golduck did a little backstroke in the water, quacking his name. Irritated, and soaking wet, Jake wrung his hair out and shook like a dog.

“You know if you don’t behave I’m going to recall you,” Jake said. He got the Pokeball out, but Golduck dived under the water with a splash, swimming to the depths of the surprisingly deep pool. Jake held the ball out and blasted the beam through the water, but it missed every time.

“Damn the laws of refraction,” he snapped, putting the Pokeball away. In the distance, he saw a little orange creature scuttling towards a bench, looking thoroughly exhausted. Jake recognised it as a Paras; it was crab-like with two mushrooms sprouted on its back. He walked over to it, noticing that it seemed somewhat shy and reluctant to be seen.

Upon closer inspection, its mushrooms were withered and brown. Jake wondered if the sun was irritating the Pokemon, like a pair of GHD stylers on hair that had not been properly conditioned. Instantly sympathising with the Pokemon, Jake knelt down and tapped its back.

“Are you ok?” he asked. The creature had small, round eyes and made an odd suckling noise. Making a conscious effort not to recoil in disgust, Jake blocked the sun out, allowing Paras to walk towards the shadowy canopy of a large tree. Paras then used its claws to scratch the ground, creating a shallow trench that he nestled into happily. It appeared he was draining nutrients from the thick vein-like roots of the tree that ran beneath the earth.

“Those nutrients look rank,” Jake told the Pokemon, who looked up only briefly. “I like granola bars.”

Jake turned away briefly, seeing a woman and her Rattata chasing a Skiploom through the park. He wondered where Milo was, and if he had managed to find Morty yet. Golduck could be seen splashing in the large pool; Jake found he had a great disdain for the rude Pokemon.

“Come on,” Jake called to Golduck. “We’re going to meet up with Milo.”

Golduck shook his head, firing a jet of water down at Jake again. He hastily leapt out of the way, but grumbled at the disobedient Pokemon. Paras, meanwhile, seemed to have eaten his fill for the day and scuttled out from his little trench. Jake looked at him for a moment and had an idea.

“Paras?” he asked. “Can you release a stun spore?”

Paras looked timidly at the cocky Golduck, who clambered onto the edge of the fountain and folded his arms. Water dripped from his smooth body as he narrowed his eyes, turning to Jake and quacking loudly. Jake stuck his middle finger up at Golduck, sending him in a frenzy. Golduck leapt at Jake.

“Shit!” he cried, running along. Golduck used his psychic abilities to trip Jake up, causing him to smack into the grass. Feeling a graze on his cheek, Jake turned over to see Golduck walking towards him, probably planning something wicked. A moment later and he stopped suddenly, gasping for air. Jake got to his feet to see Golduck twitching as a result of the Paras, who had sprayed a yellowing powder on Golduck’s skin.

“Not so cocky now, are we?” Jake said, smiling. With his last ounce of strength Golduck slashed Jake’s shirt, the same polka-dot shirt he sported at the contest. Strips of it fell to the ground as Jake winced in pain.

“I hate you!” he snapped, recalling Golduck in the black Pokeball. He set aside his temptation to hurl the ball to the bottom of the pool and instead reached for his Park Ball. Paras was cowering in the shadow cast by the fountain.

“I’ve got a nice dry ball here,” Jake cooed. “Fancy coming along?”

Paras nodded, and Jake rolled the ball along the floor. The mushroom Pokemon extended a claw and tapped the ball, turning to greenish energy and becoming scooped up inside. Jake bent down and happily picked up the ball, minimising it and feeling happy at his new capture. It might not look as pretty as a Butterfree, but he would certainly come in useful when Milo got on his nerves.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

With the fleeting feeling that he made a bad decision in leaving the heavily populated park, Milo walked on through the darkened path that he took with Barry ‘Bug-Eyes’ Brambles. Brambles lamented about his prestigious history capturing the most dangerous bug Pokemon in the world, and his secret desire to have a world without insects. Milo could see why his wife left him.

“The bug thinks like a Scotsman, but with the empathy of a Welshman,” he droned. “That’s crucial.”

“Are we going to see any bug Pokemon soon?” asked Milo.

“The place I am taking you to, son, is the darkest area of the darkest area in the park,” Brambles said. He had released his Hitmonchan, whose skirt and gloves were black in colour. “Having Lieutenant Uno here will surely help.”

Hitmonchan grunted.

“What made you want to be a bug-catching elite?” asked Brambles.

“Like I said, this thing is a massive diversion,” Milo retorted.

“Interesting,” Brambles replied. “The passion for the hunt masked behind an ulterior motive! Which in itself masks the task at hand. Brilliant.”

“What about you,” Milo said, noticing that they were walking down a steep, curving bank of earth populated heavily with trees. He could see clusters of Pineco hanging from the branches. Deeper in, there must be the stronger forms, Forretress.

“I was drawn to the hunt for the bug after my civilian life was cracked like the last macadamia,” grumbled Brambles.

“What was your old job?” Milo asked.

“I used to sell, distribute and sometimes repair bikes,” Brambles replied. “Then my wife became a dirty cop. Blew the game out of the water. The dice lost its corners, it became a wheel of evil. You must have had that before.”

“Never,” Milo replied.

“So pure,” Brambles said, of Milo’s uninterested look. “So….safe.”

He paused suddenly.

“We’re here,” he declared. “Uno! Get the attention of the swarm.”

“Swarm?” Milo asked, as the Hitmonchan walked to the largest, most impressive tree in the area. Fists turning white, Hitmonchan began relentlessly pummelling the trunk, arms blurring as thuds echoed around the dark, colder area they were in. “I-Is this safe?”

“Safe as a murder,” growled Brambles.

“Holy christ,” Milo muttered, noticing Seedot and Pineco falling from the tree branches. They clattered against the hard earth like pennies falling from the sky. Leaves shook wildly, Pidgey took to the skies in fear and the trunk sang creaky groans with each punch.

“They will come shortly,” Brambles said excitedly. Milo wished for his Flygon to come soon, to aid him in what would surely be a cataclysmic event, but it seemed it was still searching for Morty. Hitmonchan suddenly took a step back, releasing a powerful dynamic punch into the tree to send out a final, threatening gong.

A buzzing could soon be heard. Milo looked to see a swarm of Scyther leaping across the trees, some flying, some merely going from branch to branch by jumping. Screaming out loud, scythes gleaming, they flew around Hitmonchan threateningly.

“Uno go for a fire punch and agility combo,” Brambles said. Fists bursting into flame, Hitmonchan darted up into the air and punched a Scyther in the gut. It flew back, gasping as its stomach was scorched. Hitmonchan turned and slugged another oncoming foe, but was instantly slashed by another of the large, green mantis Pokemon from behind.

“He needs help!” Milo said, noticing Hitmonchan turn only to be bowled over by a razor wind. Slices of energy struck him from all angles as the many Scyther flew into the air and unleashed a collective razor wind attack. “TAKE COVER!”

Leaping into the overgrowth, Milo felt his body ache as he connected with the hard earth. Hitmonchan was mercilessly hurled to the ground by the huge attack. Barry watched from the sidelines, getting one of his Park Balls out.

“Uno use an agility!” he ordered. Hitmonchan leapt through the air in a mere blur, turning and igniting his fists with another set of flames. One Scyther darted through the air at him, drawing his blades back, ready to attack. Hitmonchan threw himself at the foe and dealt a crippling blow, causing the bug Pokemon to collapse to the ground.

“Go Park Ball!” Barry yelled, hurling the ball. The weakened Scyther was pulled inside and the ball fell to the ground as Hitmonchan was met with a skull bash attack. Once the Pokeball confirmed Scyther’s capture, Barry picked it up joyously and recalled his defeated Hitmonchan.

“BARRY!” Milo yelled, from afar, but Barry was already running back up the curved ridge towards the main part of the park. Milo saw some Scyther race after him, while the others responded to his own call. Finding Flygon’s Pokeball, Milo aimed it to the skies and fired off the beam as a signal of sorts. As a Scyther approached calmly, slashing apart foliage with its big blades, Milo leapt out of his hiding place and ran further down the ridge, away from sanctuary and deeper into the park.

Above, the trees either side of the path met, forming a canopy that blocked most of the days light. Instead, piercing arrows of sunlight shot down through what few gaps there were, illuminating spots on the ground. Milo ran across the dirt path, hearing a spine-chilling buzz of the Scyther’s wings behind him. He could not guess how many were on his trail, but recalled seeing twenty or so when Barry Brambles essentially provoked mother nature.

“FLYGON!” he screamed, shooting the Pokeball laser into the canopy, hoping it would penetrate the thick leaves. It appeared not to, for there was no sign of his saviour. As he ran, he grabbed a large, knobbled rock, larger than the one he hurled at Heracross previously, and kept it on him, waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

“TAKE THAT!”

He turned on the spot and hurled the heavy rock, resulting in a pirouette-come-stumble that missed the Scyther and send him falling to the floor. Feeling a sharp pain in his back, Milo wondered what pink, sugary delights met Jake, and if his Golduck was now wanting to be a model. The very thought made him laugh, which was perhaps inappropriate at this time. He got to his feet wearily just as he heard something in the distance.

From the path, his Flygon was speeding through the park, wings tucked in, keeping low to the ground, fierce determination in its eyes. Milo wondered how it knew he was here, but simply stood in awe as it swept into the cluster of Scyther like a ball rolling towards pins. Some Scyther split from the pack, peeling into the sky like feral angels as Flygon head butted a number of them.

“Thank fuck,” Milo said, as Flygon swept back down for Milo. He ran over, smiling happily as Flygon gave him an expression of urgency. Clambering onto her back, he held his hands tightly around her long neck as her wings folded out and she flapped into the air.

“GO!” Milo screamed, as she tore down the path. “NO! NOT THIS WAY! WE NEED TO GO THE OTHER WAY!”

Flygon ignored him, flying low to the ground as they gained speed. As they flew, a cluster of Scyther raced alongside them. Surprised at their speed, Milo ordered Flygon to attack. She pulled up and turned wildly; Milo’s grip loosened around her neck. She fired off a blistering jet of flame to scare the Scyther from the dark, dry area. One was struck and fell from up high, hitting the earth with a thud. Milo looked at it as he readjusted his grip on his Pokemon; Flygon flapped down slowly and Milo got out his Park Ball.

“This one had the balls to come after us even after you attacked,” he said. “I’m having it.”

He hurled the ball at Scyther and pulled him inside the Pokeball in a flash of green light. The ball wobbled slightly; Scyther’s attempt at escape. It was unsuccessful, however, and the ball let off a ping to indicate that it was successful. Flygon flew down and Milo scooped up the ball, thinking that, if anything, this thing could win him the Bug-Catching Contest.

“Thanks,” Milo said to Flygon. “But we need to go back this way.”

Flygon shook her head and proceeded to fly on.

After a short flight, Flygon slowed down and Milo found himself in a dark clearing. Lying there was Morty, seemingly unconscious. His clothes were ripped, his face dirty, and the colour gone from his face. Milo leapt off Flygon and knelt by his friends side.

“Is he ok?” he asked. Flygon sat a few feet away. “MORTY!”

His eyes fluttered open as he adjusted to the surroundings. He blinked a few times and, upon seeing Milo, hurriedly got to his feet.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m here to get my phone back,” Milo replied, taking off Morty’s beanie and handing it over. Morty snatched it, hastily putting it on his head as he furrowed his brow.

“Didn’t take you long to find me,” Morty muttered.

“Well you know me,” Milo said.

“Fucking phone went into lockdown,” Morty said. “I didn’t know the password.”

“You can never be too sure,” Milo replied, holding his hand out. Morty begrudgingly handed over the sleek black phone, which Milo took off him. “So what’s going on, Morty.”

“I don’t want you showing that picture off,” Morty replied. “Ruining Molly’s life.”

“I’m not planning on distributing it,” Milo explained. “I was going to use it to blackmail the Johto League into reinstating you and Chuck.”

“Your intentions were good,” Morty said. “But you executed it in the wrong way. Those girls were ready to beat you black and blue. You’ve become a target now.”

“What do you mean?” Milo asked.

“You think they won’t have got people looking for you?” Morty asked. “I heard them talking to Frankie during the contest, in the interval. They were setting up the ambush because they knew you were coordinating.”

“Who cares? I’ll delete it once you and Chuck have your jobs back.”

“Come on Milo,” Morty replied. “Think for yourself for once. Maybe I don’t want my job back? Maybe I’m happy running The Smoky Rooms for now. Did I ever ask for your help?”

“No,” Milo said. “But Chuck did.”

“Chuck has got time to focus on other things in his life now,” Morty explained. Milo thought back to Chuck’s wife, Sophie, and how they might get to spend a bit more time together now he wasn’t obsessing over the Gym and his students.

“He is lost without that Gym,” Milo replied. “This is the right thing to do!”

“I know you did the same thing to me,” Morty replied, sudden and cold. Milo looked up suddenly. “Last year.”

“W-What do you - Morty, that’s stupid,” Milo replied.

“I know you did it,” Morty said simply. “You can wriggle and squirm, but I don’t want you to lie to me. I’m not angry at what you did. Look at me now; I’m clean, healthy, and so much more mature than the insecure, suicidal kid you once knew.”

He smiled.

“You had good intentions,” he said. “But you went about things the wrong way.”

“Yea, reasoning with you was going so well,” Milo snapped suddenly, remembering his frustration at his old friend. The growing worries over his health, his mental state…

“And how did getting me arrested go, Milo?” Morty shouted. He didn’t seem calm any longer. “If it wasn’t for my Gym Leader status I would still be in jail! I managed to slip through the cracks but still spent my time in rehab. I lost my Gym Leader status. Monica left me. I don’t think it went any better, do you!?”

“Morty, I’m so-”

Don’t put those girls through the same thing!” Morty bellowed. “Do you hear me?”

“I’m NOT putting them through the same thing!” Milo snapped. “I’m scaring the League. Not publishing or distributing any sort -”

In a flash, Morty grabbed Milo and slammed him into the base of a tree.

“DELETE THE PICTURE!” he shouted. Milo swung his head forward and head butted Morty, who staggered back. Milo swung a punch but missed; he was tired from the lack of sleep. Morty grabbed Milo’s arm, twisted it behind him and steered him back into the tree, pressing his face into the rough, dirty bark.

“Are you going to listen to me, Milo?” Morty asked. “Or are you going to make another enemy?”

“Get the fuck off me,” Milo said. “NOW!”

“No,” Morty replied. “You are done trying to be a hero. Done trying to meddle in other peoples affairs and done pretending to be a big boy. I know exactly what makes you cry, Milo, and I will do whatever it takes. I swear.”

“Shut up,” Milo said, feeling a lurch in his stomach.

“Get the phone out,” Morty snapped.

“Morty, I don’t want -”

“Let’s talk about the real reason you went to the Burnt Tower,” Morty said, his voice barely a whisper.

“No!”

“Looking for a Medium,” Morty hissed.

“SHUT UP!”

“GET YOUR PHONE OUT THEN!”

“I don-”

But Milo could barely finish his sentence through fear. He got the phone out with his spare hand and typed in the seven letter password to open it. Morty watched him tap in the letters.

“Cute password,” he said. Milo did not reply, instead going to the picture folder and bringing up the photograph of Molly, leant over the counter in the Smoky Rooms toilets, a fine white powder snorted up her nose through a rolled up note. Milo felt tears in his eyes as he clicked ‘Options’.

“Delete,” came Morty’s sharp whisper.

Milo pressed it and, in an instant, the photo disappeared. Morty loosened his grip on Milo and walked across the clearing. Turning around, Milo looked at his old friend, who was getting a Pokeball out. He saw Milo’s distressed expression.

“Look, Milo,” Morty sad.

“Fuck you,” he replied coldly. “Get the fuck out of here.”

“If you carry on past here you’ll join the main part of the park. It’s a bit quicker than going back the way you came,” Morty explained.

Milo stayed stock still.

“You need to get out of here right now,” Milo said. “Because if you’re still here when I stop feeling sorry for myself I am going to tear you to shreds.”

“I guess I toed a line with the password remark,” Morty said, as his Gengar emerged. “Take care, Milo.”

Milo watched Morty disappear in a flash and sniffed, getting onto Flygon. She blasted a gust attack to rip apart leaves comprising the canopy; light flooded into the clearing and Flygon tore out of the forest in a green streak. She then turned and bolted back down towards the main area of the park towards the South Gate.

“I met your friend,” Barry Brambles said, to a worried looking Jake. The two were in the South Gate waiting area, which had a similar set up to the East Gate. There was a little presentation room build with tiered seating. The minutes were ticking down until the winner was announced, and Milo was not yet present.

“Where was he?” Jake asked quizzically.

“In the deeper, darker parts of the park,” Brambles said. “I told him to stay away from the railings, but he ventured on through. How tragic…”

“Well he won’t be dead,” Jake said. “Will he?”

“How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?” Brambles considered.

While Jake sat worrying, Milo burst through the doors, covered in dirt, sweat, blood, and scratches all over. His hair was messy and he looked exhausted. The man at the front took Milo’s Pokeball and explained that the results would be announced shortly.

“Are you ok?” Jake said. Milo sat in the seat that Barry Brambles quickly vacated.

“The picture is deleted,” he said simply.

“Did you find Morty?” Jake asked. Milo gave a nod.

“I lost Morty.”

“Well, as long as you’re ok,” Jake said, biting his lip. “Why don’t we go sneak into the guest rooms upstairs, like we did before? Get in a quick shower?”

“I just want my Pokemon back,” Milo sighed. Jake nodded, and they left the room to go to the Pokemoncenter area. Upon paying a small fee, the Pokemon being healed in the East Gate were transferred to the South Gate in similar manner to a trading machine. Milo grabbed his three Pokeballs and released them in seconds; Medicham, Ruby and Totodile formed from the bright lights.

“How you all feeling?” Milo asked wearily. Totodile leapt in for a hug as Ruby nuzzled her trainer. Medicham watched from the side, arms crossed, smiling to her trainer. Jake was met with happy cries from Pichu, who leapt into his arms as Wingull perched on his shoulder and nibbled his ear affectionately.

“I’m so sorry for last night,” Milo said to them. “It won’t happen again.”

But, given the looks on his Pokemon’s faces, Milo got the impression they’d still be here regardless of what happened in the future. Milo got out his phone and scrolled through his pictures; they seemed empty without the incriminating photo wedged among other drunken poses. Jake could tell Milo was in a bad mood, for he was quiet and calmed, with no stories or crazy anecdotes. After grabbing a drink they headed back into the presentation room.

“Thank you all for being so patient,” the man said nervously. “We hope you all enjoyed the day roaming the park and catching Bug Pokemon. I know for a fact Barry ‘Bug-Eyes’ Brambles has enough data for his upcoming autobiography, isn’t that right Barry?”

“That is indeed correct,” Barry replied coolly, opting to lean against the wall as he flipped a coin shadily.

“Now then…I am about to read out the top three entrants, in reverse order of course! Those whose names are not mentioned need not worry, as they can collect the Pokemon they caught from the desk just outside!”

He opened up an envelope.

“In third place is…Jake Jackson of Olivine City!”

HOLY CHRIST!” Jake screamed, leaping up and clapping wildly.

“Jake here is your Paras! It’s Male. Take good care of it!”

“You caught a Paras?” Milo said, pulling a face. Jake held the ball as if it were made of glass, his eyes wide as he gazed upon it.

“We bonded over a disdain for your Golduck,” he sniped.

“And in second place,” the man said, shaking with excitement. “Milo Mitchelson of Pua Samoa! Well done Milo!”

“Not bad,” Milo said, smirking. “Beat your sorry ass Jakey.”

“Milo please collect your Scyther! It is also a Male.”

“Scyther?” Jake said, as Milo went to collect the green Pokeball. “Tough Pokemon.”

“Tough trainer,” Milo replied, minimising the Pokeball and slipping it onto his belt.

“But out first prize…and let me be the first say I cannot WAIT to read all about it…our resident bug-catcher…BARRY ‘BUG-EYES’ BRAMBLE!”

There was a tepid applause as Barry stalked over.

“Your Scyther was much bigger, stronger…more impressive than Milo’s,” gushed the man.

“I will name it Milo,” Barry replied, holding the ball up.

“What a load of shit!“ Milo snapped, storming past Barry and towards the exit. Jake followed quickly, tucking Paras’ ball into his pocket as he went.

“Milo, I might always judge you after winning my new award as ‘Best Dressed’ at the Goldenrod Gala,” Meredith said happily. “But you look awful!”

“I’ve had a heavy day…and night…and day,” Milo said coldly.

“Andrew told me about your contest victory,” Meredith replied. “I’m so proud!”

“Thanks,” Milo said. “I’m here to send Golduck and Flygon back to you.”

“Great,” Meredith said. “Exeggutor seems a bit grumpy, you know.”

“Really?” Milo said, sending Golduck over.

“Yes. I think he misses you.”

“Well I’ll maybe bring him on the team sometime,” Milo mused. “How’s Rhydon? Electabuzz? Kingler?”

“All fine,” Meredith said. “Your father just managed to buy the patents for the latest model of the Silph Scope!”

“What the fuck is a Silph Scope?” Milo asked.

“I have no idea, but isn’t it wonderful!” Meredith said. “Anyway Andrew told me of your call before. I got all the luggage from your room courier to the Mitchelson suite at Mal Maison in Goldenrod City. Just get a taxi from the North Gate, it’s a bit of a walk, and it’s a dangerous neighbourhood.”

“That’s cool!” Milo said. He had only visited it on a few occasions; once when Andrew and him came to Goldenrod in Milo’s league quest, and another time when the family came to Goldenrod for Meredith to receive an award. It was like owning an entire floor of a hotel, since wherever Meredith and Mia went there seemed to be an entourage of stylists, P.A’s and girlfriends.

“And I’ve also got you signed up for the contest, too,” Meredith said. “It has two appeal rounds, so make sure Ruby and your darling little Totodile are up to scratch!”

“Goldenrod?” Milo asked. “No wait, I’m not coordinating anymore!”

“Oh and I put a bit of money in your account,” Meredith said. “You look homeless. Head to Riverside in Goldenrod. It’s a shopping district. Treat your little friend to some clothes, too.”

“I’ll hold you to that, Milo,” Jake said happily, giving him a quick squeeze.

“Maybe I’ll compete Goldenrod after all,” he said, giving his best to Meredith and hanging up once both his Pokemon were sent over.

“I’m glad you are!” Jake said.

“It’s only because I’m getting money,” Milo muttered. “And the Mitchelson Suite is fucking amazing.”

“Are you wanting to get there tonight?” Jake said, looking at his watch. “It is getting on, and we didn’t really sleep last night.”

“Honestly. The Mitchelson Suite is worth it,” Milo said. They were about to leave when the man from the bug-catching contest walked over with a large box.

“Milo! Jake!” he said. “You didn’t collect your prizes!”

“We get prizes?” Jake said.

“Yes, first, second and third place! You stormed off so quickly, we didn’t have a chance to give you your commemorative prizes.”

“What do we get?” Milo asked.

“Well there are only two prizes left,” the man said sheepishly. “Due to budget cuts we merged the Prize Box with the Lost & Found. So…take your pick!”

Jake delved his hand into the box and pulled out a neck scarf. It was covered in minute skull-and-bones patterns and the young stylist instantly took a liking to it. He folded it in half and tied it around his neck, making him resemble a gay pirate.

“Dibs!” he cried.

“I guess I’ll take this,” Milo said, pulling out a card about the size of a drivers license. It was black and maroon, with a gold trim around the outside. It had a single, golden eye in the centre, and an intricate pattern in maroon all around it resembling a maze. Turning it over curiously, Milo saw the same pattern on the back.

“Ooooh Milo!” Jake cooed. “What is it?”

“A death threat?” Milo asked.

“It’s a mysterious artefact!” the man said spookily.

“Bullshit, someone just left it in the park,” Milo snapped, tucking it into his pocket. “Those prizes were shit.”

He walked off out of the gate from the National Park into the darkened evening. Like the route from Olivine to Ecruteak, lamps set along the path began to burst into light. There was a small creek running parallel with the walk, and in the bushes, Pokemon chirped. Milo gave a sigh as he walked to the ominous city ahead; large and intimidating with its tales of fortune and power. Milo recalled the time he visited Goldenrod on his League journey just over a year ago, sprinting up this path and into the National Park.

“Goldenrod City,” Jake announced, as they made their way along the route.

“Welcome to Heartbreak,” Milo said quietly.

Next Chapter

Milo and Jake arrive in Goldenrod, the city that never sleeps, and Milo's feathers are ruffled by a fleeting encounter with his ex-girlfriend. A chance encounter with an investigative reporter gives Milo an intriguing insight into Goldenrod's criminal underworld. Milo's new Scyther crafts his place on the team.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

Default Re: Show-Off - Chapter 8 posted!

Cool. I love Paras. Parasect is going to own Milo big time. If they ever battle, Milo is so going to underestimate that awesome pokemon. I can picture it: 'haha, you're using a mushroom as a pokemon, it's ugly, so unlike you Jack, had a change of heart?'. Poor Jack.

Ah yes, the Scyther. Finally. Looking forwards to its battles. I just hope it's not a cliché-battle-to-the-death-killer-spree-scyther. I'm hoping for something more original from you.

Goldenrod looks very promising, and there's loads of stuff you can write about. Good going. This fic is getting better and better.

The Morty-Milo scene was good, very realistic. Morty is by far my favorite character of this fic. I'm glad someone finally had to guts to put Milo in it's place.

“No,” Morty replied. “You are done trying to be a hero. Done trying to meddle in other peoples affairs and done pretending to be a big boy. I know exactly what makes you cry, Milo, and I will do whatever it takes. I swear.”
    Nice one there. Especially the big boy comment. It's his character, but he IS pretending to be a I-know-all-about-world-and-you-are-inferior kind of person. Good thing that Morty told him that his methods are not always good. Good intentions, lame-ass actions.

I liked how you portraited National Park. It just seemed inspiring.

Looking forward to new stuff.

Master Trainer

Just when I should have been going to bed, I have work in 7 hours, I saw you posted a new chapter and couldn't resist. Sigh!

Okay.

Things I liked
    - Jake's personality growing. I thought it was so cute when he won third place and he squealed. And when he was being sarcastic and then just got frustrated at Milo. Jake is so likeable.
    - Milo's history and the encounter with Morty. WOW. can i say WOW again? Seriously, mind blowing. It was so well executed too. Just, the dialogue in situations like that can often come out as so cheesy and cliche, but you carried it off so naturally. I'm impressed. I really liked the insight into Milo's background. My guess is that somebody close to him died, which results in him being the pig headed ass hole that he is, and affects the way he treats women. Morty was an ass, but deservedly too. I am seriously so impressed at how you pulled that one off.
    - The whole contest was carried out really well. I love the random lines you have throughout the story that make me laugh.

"How many angels dance on the head of a pin?"

lolololololol

Things I Didn't Like So Much

- Morty leaving. I liked him. He was this real bizzare piece of work. I want him to come back and stick around.
    - I still wonder what Jakes motives are for sticking around with Milo. Milo treated him better, but I sometimes wonder whether Jake is attracted to Milo. Or whether Milo will accidently have an encounter with Jake later on, as a result of too much alcohol or something.

Yay. The end

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

Lololoz @ Tara: Gayporn1!!1one.

We posted replies at the same time. Both Show-off addicts?

What? I don't sit around on TPM all day waiting for Chris to post another chapter. Where did you get that idea?

Master Trainer

Lol we are just awesome and amazing. That is all.

:-)

2009 Silver Pencils:

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

omg Scyther!!111! I love Scizor and it would be totally awesome if you evolved him

Great chapter as usual. Someone managed to hit Milo's sore spot and do some damage. Also love the capture of Paras. A little cliche for the Pokemon to voluntarily go into the Pokeball but it had a nice setup for it so I don't mind
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:
    Nightshade, Orion, Drake, Apollo, Shino, Ares, Arya, Isis, Ace, Arbiter, Nero, Haplo, Coren, and Marit

Master Trainer

Hey Chris, how come you are 2.1 now? Weren't you 2.0?? I've been ever so confused.

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

MLG: Yay Paras! It's a quirky Pokemon; I think I prefer its evolution but it's an odd choice for Jake. I'm glad you enjoy both Jake and Milo's new captures! Don't worry, Scyther isn't all cliche-I-Must-Battle-To-The-End kinda thing.

I'm currently writing Goldenrod, and it's shaping up to be epic! I think everyone will like the twisted portrayal of the golden city. And thanks for the comment on the Milo scene; Morty has really become a character that my readers have grown to like. I'm sure he will resurface later in the fic...

Pancake: You and MLG are totally synchronised :p Glad you like the growth of Jake's character - the poor guy doesn't seem to get a win very often so I think he was overjoyed at 3rd place. We haven't fully explored his motivations, but if you remember in Ch3 he did lose his job as a Stylist and he seemed keen to see more of Milo's coordinating.

Who says Morty's gone?

I'm also glad you liked the confrontation deep in the woods. It is fantastic that you connect with my work and get it. It's very rewarding!

TML: Whooo @ Scyther. Milo with a Scizor would look pretty cool A couple of things to think about; what was the security code for Milo's phone? It was 7 characters, and Morty knew about it. Is it a place? A person? It's quite important.

Pancake: I was Chris 2.0 when I modded ASB and when I stepped down I changed to 2.1. I guess I keep rebooting XD

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

Jasmine?

Junior Trainer

That Brambles... XD Fwee for bizarre characters... speaking of which, the "Deputy Assistant to the Supervisor-In-Chief" was pretty darned epic, too. XD

I liked the scene in which Milo captured the scyther, particularly with regards to the part immediately preceding the capture where he was flying on Flygon and she was spitting fire at the scyther in midair. Nice little moment of aerial battle awesomeness there.

The scene with Morty was great, I thought; it was quite intense. o_o And I find myself quite curious about Milo's password--whatever that password was, there definitely seemed to be a particular, strong significance to it.

I'm also rather curious about the card that Milo got as his prize. o.o It's certainly interesting-looking, I'd say, and I can't help but wonder if it too might prove to have some kind of significance.

Other highlights (PREPARE TO DROWN IN "XD" SMILIES):

“I won,” Milo said quickly.

“Congratulations!” Andrew said, only to find Milo had hung up. “Milo? Hello?”
    That made me laugh. XD

“I WAS BEING SARCASTIC!” screamed Jake.

“And loud,” Milo mused.
    So did that. XD

“You want me to fill our stomachs with a fucking hat?”
    And that line was just effing hilarious. XDDDD

He recalled Ruby and decided, for now, to sport Morty’s beanie. It covered up his hair, which was particularly messy.
    When I read things in a silly mood, my mind tends to respond to what I'm reading in silly ways. For example, upon reading that right there, my mind's response was the following:

"You want me to cover my hair with fucking berries?"

X3

“This is taking too long!” Jake cried. He hurled a book into a glass table, causing it to shatter into a million pieces. The girl on reception gave a shriek and ran over, allowing Jake to sneak under the desk and creep along the corridor. Milo grabbed the keys to room 07 and ran after his companion.

“SOMEONE CHECK THE REGULATIONS!” the girl screamed. “I ONLY KNOW BEDROOM-COST PROTOCOL!”
    XDD

“Look, I wouldn’t be this keen unless it was for a great reason,” Jake insisted. He was so focused on his pep talk he forgot to step off the escalator and fell flat on his face.
    XD Nice move, Jake. X3

“Where is your Pokemon?” he asked.

“Scouring the skies to find an ex-gym leader-turned-renegade-vigilante who stole my phone containing a picture of a local celebrity taking a Class A substance in a nightclub under a burned tower,” came a dry response.

“Typical,” said Bramble.

“No it isn’t!” Milo snapped. “It’s the most farcical pile of shit ever!”
    I liked this exchange here; it was funny. XD

“A boy once handsome, ravaged by loss,” Barry said powerfully. “Taken in by a weathered veteran with a keen eye for success. It’s sort of poetic, don’t you think?”

“Did you just call me ravaged?” Milo asked.
    Milo's response there is another little thing that I found amusing. XD

“Hi!” Jake said. “Milo let me use you for the bug-catching contest. My name’s Jake.”

Golduck shrugged and walked off.
    ...XD

Jake stuck his middle finger up at Golduck, sending him in a frenzy. Golduck leapt at Jake.

“Shit!” he cried, running along.
    XDD

Paras nodded, and Jake rolled the ball along the floor. The mushroom Pokemon extended a claw and tapped the ball, turning to greenish energy and becoming scooped up inside.
    I thought that was cute, particularly since I think paras are just adorable little things to begin with. ^^

“I’m NOT putting them through the same thing!” Milo snapped. “I’m scaring the League. Not publishing or distributing any sort -”

In a flash, Morty grabbed Milo and slammed him into the base of a tree.

“DELETE THE PICTURE!” he shouted.
    Whoa. o_o That's definitely a "holy shit" moment right there.

And that there is one heck of a cool quote. o_o

“You caught a Paras?” Milo said, pulling a face. Jake held the ball as if it were made of glass, his eyes wide as he gazed upon it.

“We bonded over a disdain for your Golduck,” he sniped.
    X3 I liked Jake's response.

This stuff is just entertaining as all heck. ^^ Looking forward to more!
    Last edited by Sike Saner; 22nd June 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sike: Many XD's! Thank you; I'm glad I can still entertain you after TPML. Milo's password holds great significance to his past, as does Goldenrod as a city. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(I hate the 5k limit. Makes my life cumbersome amid copy-and-pasting).

Show-Off
    -IX-
    Cosmopolitan

The Guard House of Goldenrod City was perhaps one of the more dangerous ones to work in. It gave people such as Officer Oliver McCormack and his partner, Officer Denise Walters, some kind of twisted satisfaction to know they worked in one of the ‘crime spots’ in the region. At just past midnight, the two were at their post, watching the stars twinkle overhead.

“Makes you realise how small we really are,” Denise mused.

“Yea,” Oliver replied. “Makes you feel lonely.”

“Oh I don’t know about that,” said the sultry officer, as she took her cap off and swept her glossy hair from her face. “Sometimes it’s nice to feel independent.”

“Oh, yea,” Oliver spluttered. “Independent is great. But in the long term, on such a…dangerous patch like this, it really revives that…mating instinct.”

“What?” Denise muttered, barely paying any attention.

“Nothing,” Oliver sighed.

“Hold up,” Denise said. “People approaching.”

“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!” Oliver said, shining his flashlight. The two boys flinched at the bright light.

“What the fuck’s wrong?” said the older boy, looking tired and miserable.

“No foul language!” snapped Denise.

“We deleted the incriminating photo!” the other boy cried.

“Oh Jake smart move,” the other boy retorted.

“Incriminating photo?” Oliver asked.

“It’s nothing!” said the boy named Jake.

“Nothing? It sounds incriminating,” Denise said sharply.

“Jake you are a massive idiot,” the older boy said coldly.

“I’m sorry Milo, I’m a bit tired,” Jake replied.

“We might have to take this inside,” Oliver said, leading the two into the guard house.

Milo had always found the legal system somewhat corrupt and sometimes even pointless. Here, he was sat in an office in part of the Guard House with Jake while the two officers grilled him about an incriminating photo.

“Have you seen the Pokemon?” Officer Walters asked.

“Maybe if you give me your phone number I’ll remember what you’re talking about,” Milo said, smirking. Officer Walters got out her baton.

“Maybe if I sodomise you with my baton, you’ll remember what I’m talking about,” she replied.

“Oh, no, you want Jake, he’s the gay one,” Milo said, pointing.

“You can be so homophobic sometimes,” Jake snapped.

“Arrest me,” Milo said sarcastically.

“We could, you know,” Officer McCormack said.

“Why are you keeping us here?” Jake asked.

“We have to search anybody entering the city,” Officer McCormack explained. “There have been a number of reported Pokemon thefts in the city.”

“Maybe the thieves flew over the Guard House,” Milo said. Officer Walters whacked his shin with the baton. “OW!”

“Don’t test my patience,” she said.

“Denise, don’t beat the boy,” Officer McCormack said testily.

“Sexual frustration is common in your profession,” Milo preached. Officer Walters looked to her co-worker for any sign of what to do, and he simply nodded, perhaps suggesting this comment was too far. On cue, Officer Walters whacked Milo’s other shin, causing him to scream profanities across the room.

“Shut up,” she said.

“Anyway we just need to make sure you are both law-abiding citizens before we let you in the city,” Oliver continued. “This mention of an incriminating photo has aroused some suspicion, however.”

“Hear that Officer? Arousal,” Milo purred. In a flash he was whacked in the shins a third time.

“Why do you keep antagonising Officer Walters?” Jake asked.

“It’s oddly addictive,” Milo muttered.

“Look,” Jake said. “Milo had shown my boyfriend an incriminating photo…it showed me in a rather…embarrassing situation.”

“Oh,” Officer McCormack said, raising his eyebrows.

“Please don’t let word out. I’d hate my boyfriend to find out,” Jake pined. The two officers exchanged a look and nodded.

“You guys seem fine,” Officer McCormack said, his partner looking irritated that she could not hurt Milo any more. They got a bit of a telling off but were allowed to continue on their way, walking into the Guard House. It was pretty similar to the one by Ecruteak City, and since everyone was keen to get to Goldenrod, they did not linger.

“That was a close one,” Jake said.

“Nice lie,” Milo said, surveying his friend. “I didn’t think you’d cope so well under pressure.”

“Well, you know,” Jake said, blushing. The two looked as they arrived on the outskirts of Goldenrod City. The night sky was eradicated by big, flashing lights, illuminating signs and huge skyscrapers that kissed the clouds. Jake’s mouth was open. Milo looked sour.

“Where is this fancy Hotel we’re staying in?” Jake asked. The streets they were on were shabby and dirty. Litter filled the sidewalks as cars whizzed past.

“In the Business District,” Milo said slowly. “This might be quite a walk. Goldenrod is huge.”

“But it’s nearly 1am,” moaned Jake. “And we didn’t sleep last night!”

“Well should I sprout wings?” Milo snapped. They walked on through the grimy streets, seeing the more enticing buildings ahead. A closed newsagents was boarded up, and police sirens filled the air.

“I thought Goldenrod was glamorous,” Jake muttered, kicking a cardboard box out of the path.

“It is,” Milo reiterated. “But you usually drive through the dodgy bits.”

“What did you do last time you were here?” Jake asked.

“Andrew drove me,” Milo replied.

“Is Andrew the guy that works for your family?” said Jake.

“Yea, he’s our…well, he’s just Andrew,” Milo said. “He drove me around, we had a proper good journey. He has a big 4x4.”

“Sounds nice,” Jake muttered.

“Hitting all the bars and clubs, training against his team before the Gyms, just hanging out,” Milo continued. They walked on, heading deeper into the city. There were few cars on the roads, so it was easy for the two boys to zip across to the other side of the road every so often.

“I have an idea,” Jake said, rummaging for a Pokeball. He released his Paras from the Park Ball, calling its name excitedly. Paras emerged, making a clicking noise and taking a deep breath.

“That won you 3rd place?” Milo said.

“Funny,” Jake said. “Last time I made a comment about one of your Pokemon, I got head butted.”

“Touche,” Milo muttered.

“Paras, use Aromatherapy,” Jake commanded. Paras wiggled slightly and in a puff, a cloud of sticky spores burst into the air. Milo stepped back precariously, but Jake walked into the cloud, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes.

“What are you doing?” Milo asked.

“Paras can produce all kinds of spores,” Jake said. “Some can even stimulate the mind, like caffeine. Take a sniff.”

Milo, noticing his friend was not writhing on the ground in agony, took a step forward and inhaled. The sensation in his nostrils was sharp and strong; it was slightly minty. What followed was a curious feeling that his nasal passage was expanding; he felt invigorated.

“Wow,” Milo said, blinking as he stepped away from Paras.

“When I was in the park I met this guy,” Jake said. “And I remember a lot of products at our salon in Olivine used spores from Paras and Parasect. Its Stun Spore can be made into a fantastic hair spray. This guy will provide free styling products for us!”

“You caught that guy to benefit us?” Milo asked. “But what about Butterfree?”

“Maybe I can still catch one,” Jake said.

“Thanks Jake,” Milo said, slightly touched by his kindness.

“No problem,” Jake replied. With their tiredness ebbing away from the spores, the boys walked on beneath streetlights as they got closer and closer to the business district. The walk was long but oddly satisfying; Milo remembered the ultra-luxurious suite his family owned and it spurred him on.

Soon enough, the grimy streets peeled away and they began walking through a much brighter lit area of the city. Milo looked to see thick, chunky buildings surrounding him, identical in their decors. These were the high-rise office blocks of the many companies in the city.

“Look!” Jake said, pointing to a huge billboard. Gina Gourmante was strewn across it modelling some black, lacy lingerie. Her eyes shimmered brightly, but her usually curly blonde hair was straightened. She was pressing a cherry to her full, red lips, ready to take a bite.

“Fucking hell,” Milo said. “She looks amazing! I didn’t realise she was such a…star.”

“I love that girl,” Jake said.

“I wonder if she’s competing in Goldenrod’s Contest?” Milo said, thinking he could strike up a conversation with her.

“I would imagine so,” Jake said.

Milo smiled to himself as they came to the Mal Maison hotel. It had a leaf green canopy jutting out of the golden front doors. Jake made an excited noise as they walked into the cool, chilled lobby. Marble pillars supported the large ceiling, while two large, ornate water features held a number of Goldeen. Milo noticed their horns were removed; this might be a health and safety thing.

“I like this place,” Jake said, chuckling to himself.

“Hello,” Milo said, approaching the desk. A suited man behind the desk raised his eyebrows at their somewhat dishevelled appearance.

“Welcome to the Mal Maison,” he said, looking irked. “Unfortunately our rooms are all booked. I’m sure you can find an…alternative hotel in Goldenrod City.”

“Ahem,” Milo said. “My name is Milo Mitchelson. I believe my family owns the top floor of this hotel.”

“Mr Mitchelson,” the man said, smiling painfully. “Ah yes. Your mother did mention you’d be arriving.”

Milo eyed the man’s badge.

“Thanks Adam,” he said coldly. “Judging by appearance must come so naturally in your profession.”

“Of course,” Adam said, handing Milo’s keys. “Err…some suitcases were sent to your room.”

“I know,” Milo replied, turning to leave. “Dick.”

The two walked up an elaborate marble staircase towards the suite. Milo looked as they spiralled above the lobby, carrying on past the offshoots towards the lower floors until they got to the very top. A plaque on the wall said ‘Mitchelson Suite’. Milo came to a large door and got out his key.

Moments later, the door was pushed open and both Milo and Jake found themselves in a corridor. They shut the door behind them and looked at the different doors leading away from this, the ‘lobby’ of the Mitchelson Suite.

“This is my room,” Milo said, unlocking one of the doors and once again opening it.

“Holy christ!” Jake cried. The room was more like a penthouse than a room in a hotel. A large TV was mounted on the wall before a selection of squashy designer chairs. The entire room was cream and white, with browns and earthy colours mixed in. There was a curved staircase leading to an upstairs area that overlooked this, the main body of the suite. Jake ran to the far-most wall, which was entirely made of glass, allowing him to peer excitedly over the city of Goldenrod at night.

“You’re easily pleased,” Milo said, throwing his shirt to the ground. “God, I fucking stink. That’s what a day with Bug-Eyes Brambles does for you.”

He walked to the bathroom, which was up the stairs.

“Have a look around.”

Jake walked past the living room area and through a door to find a tiled area with a sunken Jacuzzi. This room’s full-length windows were frosted, with only small brick-sized areas unfrosted, allowing one to peer down on the city amid hot frothy bubbles.

Back outside, Jake squealed at the various canvas arts hanging on the walls. He saw a picture of the Seafoam Islands, with a dreamy house depicted on the cliffs by the beach. As Milo showered, Jake walked through into a small study area, with books on all sorts of things. There was another TV here which had a DVD player; Jake saw DVDs of Gym and League battles. One was marked ‘VS Chuck: 23/06/05’.

On opposing sides of the upstairs area were the bedrooms. Both of them were relatively similar in appearance. Looking inside one, Jake saw a huge king sized sleigh bed with big thick curtains covering the glass wall. There was a big shaggy rug at the foot of the bed and an ornate desk.

“I’ve died,” he gasped. “And gone to heaven!”

And, collapsing onto his bed, Jake fell asleep in seconds.

At ten AM there was a discrete mechanical clicking. Jake’s eyes opened wearily as the curtains pulled back of their own accord. He rolled over, noticing he was fully clothed. From the top floor of the hotel, Jake looked at the morning in Goldenrod City. The streets were busy. Pidgey flew through the skies, roosting on window ledges.

After wandering out of the bedroom, Jake looked over the living area from the upstairs. Milo was watching TV shirtless, concentrating hard. With him was a girl Jake had never met. She had silky caramel hair and blue eyes, with a similar facial structure to Milo.

“Milo you didn’t tell me you pulled last night,” the girl joked. Jake blushed.

“Piss off, Mia,” Milo muttered. “Jake, this is my sister Mia. Mia, this is Jake.”

“Mum mentioned you’d poached a stylist,” Mia sniffed.

“Nice to meet you,” Jake said, coming down the stairs.

“I imagine it is,” Mia said, disinterested.

“Mia is staying in room in our suite,” Milo explained. “She’s up in Goldenrod doing some modelling.”

“That sounds fun,” Jake said.

“Very,” Mia said, smiling. She got up suddenly, walking to the window. “So Milo, Mum tells me you won in Ecruteak.”

“Yea,” Milo replied.

“I’m impressed you won a contest,” Mia said. “I am. But there are so many variables in a contest, such as the current entrants, and the judges. Having your druggy friend Morty on the panel will have helped.”

“I beat two very skilled coordinators,” Milo replied testily.

“I’ve done that before,” she replied, twiddling with an aquamarine Pokeball. “And I already have the ribbon for Goldenrod. So we might not come face to face for a while.”

“Shame,” Milo said.

“It is, isn’t it,” Mia mused. “Anyway, I’m off. I have a photoshoot this afternoon and need to get some new clothes.”

She walked to the door and opened it slightly.

“Nice to meet you Jack.”

“It’s -”

The door slammed shut. Milo let out a frustrated roar at the departure of his sister and got up off the seat. He paced across the room.

“She’s a right bitch,” Milo said. “Only came in to tell me she wasn’t that bothered I won a ribbon.”

“She’s just pushing your buttons,” Jake said.

“And she’s gonna be around for a while,” Milo sighed. “Anyway, how was your sleep?”

“Fell asleep fully clothed,” Jake smirked. “I’m going to grab a shower.”

“Lovely,” Milo muttered, setting himself back down and watching a music video. Meredith had couriered everything from Ecruteak, so Jake was reunited with all of his styling products and clothes. Unfortunately the clothes looked a bit torn and tattered, so after he showered, Jake reminded Milo of his promise to buy him some designer clothes.

“We’ll do that later,” Milo said. “I wanna test this Scyther out.”

“Are you keeping him on your team?” Jake asked.

“I think so,” Milo said. “He seems really strong…”

Milo explained to Jake about his experience in the National Park, and Barry’s technique of irritating the wild bug Pokemon. Thus, there was every chance that Scyther was angry at being separated from its swarm. The two agreed to grab some brunch and head to the city for some training.

“Or we could go to the Gym,” Jake said, buttoning up a blue plaid shirt. “Train up there? I bet Whitney still runs the Gym. She’s a huge star.”

“I don’t want to go to the Gym,” Milo said stubbornly. He wore a grey v-neck jumper over some jeans. “There’s a great battle spot in the city I like.”

“But Whitney’s been on TV,” Jake moaned. “I want her autograph!”

“Jake,” Milo said. “No.”

They left the suite shortly after, Milo making sure to be particularly rude to Adam, who was still manning the front desk. It gave Milo an odd pleasure to know Adam worked all night. Heading into town, they saw a number of suited people hastily slurping coffee as they chatted on their phones. The Business District was booming, with a number of coffee shops and eateries located around the offices. One woman was using her Porygon to access the internet on her lunch break.

“Dianna I am TRYING to load the HTML server,” she screeched. “Yes the Porygon is bleeping. That’s all it’s doing. How do I plug my laptop in!?”

“The Golden Karp Casino is close by,” Milo said, turning the next street. The big building looked impressive, with a huge golden Magikarp above the entrance. Dollar Signs littered its scales. Jake took a picture with his camera, which he kept in an unattractive waist-bag.

“I’ve never been to Goldenrod before,” he gushed, as they wandered through the streets. Jake would take pictures of famous landmarks such as the Pokemon Fan Club or the Bellossom Herb Café.

“It’s cool,” Milo said thoughtfully. “I hold a disdain for the place, but…you can’t deny it’s pretty cool. Wait ‘till we go out tonight. The nightlife is amazing.”

“They have a really cool Gay district,” Jake mused.

“Well we’re not going,” Milo replied, as they came to a building closer to the centre of town. Opposite was the impressive Magnet Train station, which shot through the countryside towards Saffron City in Kanto.

They went into the building, which had a bare lobby, and walked up to the top floor. This was the City Battlefield, a huge set of fenced arenas for people to train up. Milo stepped out onto the roof and felt a sharp wind ruffle his hair; it was slightly chilly.

“What if your Pokemon falls off the building?” Jake asked, as he ran after Milo. His question was immediately answered as he saw large fenced areas spanning about eight feet in height running around the edge of the building. Almost as if on cue, a Machoke was hurled through the air on one of the arenas, smashing into the fence, which buckled back slightly, absorbing the shock. Machoke then fell to the arena floor.

“Yo,” Milo said, approaching a fat man sitting behind a wooden shack. “Can I get on an arena?”

“Are you two gentlemen participating together?” he asked dryly, eating a muffin. “Or would you prefer separate battle arenas in which to battle on.”

“Erm,” Milo said, looking across at Jake. “You fancy battling with me?”

“Okay,” Jake said.

“We’ll both take the same arena,” Milo said.

“What a fantastic decision,” said the man, spraying crumbs. “That will require a payment of ten pounds sterling from each of your wallets if you please.”

“You take a long time to say very little,” Milo muttered, handing over his money.

“I was initially taken to elocution lessons to eradicate my southern drawl,” he explained, slurping on a large soft drink. “Understandably from speaking to me, you can see it had little effect.”

Milo and Jake left the man and walked along to their arena, noticing some interesting battles on the way. Two boys on the corner of the building had their Pidgeotto fighting above the city itself, while one girl was educating her little brother on how to use his new Mareep.

“So I’m thinking we’ll spar a bit,” Milo said, as they arrived on the arena. It was covered in a thin layer of sand and dirt. “See what Scyther knows.”

“Yea,” Jake said, sounding uninterested. “Who should I use?”

“That’s your choice,” Milo said. He got out the four Pokeballs on his belt; there was Medichams black Pokeball, Arcanine’s plain red one, Totodile’s glitter ball and Scyther’s park ball. The four distinct Pokeballs flew up into the air and burst open, revealing the four members of Milo’s team. Medicham looked inquisitively at Scyther, while Ruby walked over to Jake after seeing the dark green mantis’s sharp scythes. Totodile, naďve, scampered over.

Scyther seemed serious, staring down at the little alligator, who was running under his legs and prodding his abdomen.

“Totodile,” Milo said softly. “Be nice. Guys, this is Scyther. Scyther, welcome to the team.”

Scyther turned to Milo and stared at him coldly. Jake rubbed Ruby’s coat while Medicham used her telekinesis to bring Totodile over and out of harms way. Milo stared back at Scyther with determination.

“I defeated you in a fight,” he said. “I captured you. You had a chance to escape, but you couldn’t. You’re on my team now pal.”

Scyther still stared, not giving away any indication of his feelings on the matter.

“I’ll be taking good care of you, and making sure you can be even stronger,” Milo added. Scyther nodded softly, eyes still locked on Milo. Medicham seemed uneasy, but was kept busy by Totodile, who was attempting to wriggle out of her psychic grip and get into trouble.

“Medicham, Totodile, Ruby, you guys watch,” Milo said. “Jake, get on the other side of the arena.”

Jake released Wingull and opposed Milo, who stood behind Scyther.

“Okay then. Wingull use a water gun!” Jake cried. Wingull flapped up and blasted a precise jet of water down at Scyther. The mantis held his scythes out and span suddenly, causing the water attack to fly off in another direction. Scyther suddenly pushed off the ground and swept through the air, scythes catching the light and glistening beautifully.

“Evade!” Jake yelled manically, concerned they would be dining on his bird Pokemon tonight. Wingull turned sharply and sped into the air higher and higher, but Scyther followed, wings buzzing. Milo was suddenly reminded of the buzzing noise from the National Park and remembered how scared he was.

Wingull darted down, adept at sharp turns, and bolted back to sanctuary. Scyther charged energy in his blades and flapped a ferocious twisting wind towards Wingull. The wind currant curved around the gull and blew her back towards Scyther, who unleashed two blades of energy that smashed into the frail bird.

“Fuck!” Milo said happily, impressed at Scyther’s control of the wind. Wingull flapped out of the way but Scyther slashed wildly and struck the little gull.

“Wingull go for aerial ace!” Jake said, as Wingull recuperated and prepared to strike again. Scyther darted away in an instant, leaving a green blur in his wake. Reappearing behind Wingull, Scyther swung his scythes and connected with the bird again, who failed to escape the sharp clutches.

“Okay, okay,” Jake said, holding his hands out. “Wingull has had enough.”

“Are you serious?” Milo said. “We’re just getting started!”

“Wingull is scared,” Jake said. “Come here…”

Scyther didn’t seem impressed. As if on cue, Medicham jumped and leapt onto the opposite side of the arena, getting into a yoga pose. Milo supposed she wanted to show her own against the ferocious mantis, and establish her place as his strongest Pokemon. Jake scowled at Scyther, who returned the gaze with a cold, steely one of his own.

“Ok Scyther go for a quick attack,” Milo ordered. Scyther sped through the air, but Medicham used her telekinesis to stop Scyther in his tracks. Shocked, he looked at her as she held him in mid-air, sweat trickling down her forehead.

“Try and penetrate the hold!” Milo said. “Fight, Scyther!”

Scyther gave a strange spinning twist and pulled out of the hold, scythes glowing a bright white. Crossing them over into an X shape he flew through the air at Medicham, who pressed her fingers to her temple to throw a psycho cut at the enemy. Zipping out of the way, Scyther then unleashed the X-Scissor attack into Medicham, hurtling her across the arena.

“Medicham!” Milo cried. Scyther flapped back and watched Medicham get up. She held both her hands out and charged up a small orb in each. The orbs cycled through a variety of colours; from a passionate red to a delicate pink, an exciting yellow or a stem green. Eventually they both stopped at an icy blue. Medicham gripped the orbs and hurled them through the air, where they shot out at Scyther like missiles.

Milo watched the hidden power with a smug grin; Medicham had received very exclusive training to help manipulate the type of the attack. The ice attack flew at Scyther, who span around and slashed the orbs away with his scythes. The orbs flew back and exploded in a frosty bang. Medicham watched curiously as Scyther sped through the air.

She slowly rose off the ground, arms out by her side. Using her impressive PSI powers she rose to meet the oncoming Scyther, teleporting to the other side of the arena. Passing right through where Medicham once was, Scyther turned around wildly, only for a shadow ball to shoot forward and explode in his face. Dazed by the sparkling shadow, Scyther was momentarily distracted as Medicham soared through the air and slugged him in the chin with a fire punch.

“Nice going!” Milo said, as Scyther fell to the ground. Medicham lowered herself back down and snapped her fingers provocatively, causing a rogue ember to burst into the air.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Milo spent most of the day sparring with his team. Scyther had an interesting move pool, and Milo was keen to use him in the contest Whether it was for battling or appeals, he wasn’t sure, but Scyther had immense strength for battles and a delicate array of aesthetic attacks that could make for an interesting appeal.

“Goldenrod has two appeal rounds,” Jake said, reading a pamphlet he picked up in the city. “Who are you going to use?”

“Ruby’s a safe bet,” Milo said, thinking of ways he could modify the appeal she did in Olivine. “Dunno about the other one.”

They walked through the bustling city, the Pokemon all tucked away in their Pokeballs. Milo decided to take Jake to a funky bar in the heart of the city. It was barely mid-afternoon, but Milo felt that getting hammered was a good idea. The Loft was a small but popular bar in town; Milo loved necking expensive drinks here as he gazed across the city beneath him. Jake sipped a Cosmopolitan; the pink drink was garnished with a wheel of orange in a pointed glass. Milo opted for Cougar beer, showing disdain at Jake’s choice of drink.

The Loft was renowned for its imported beers and lavish cocktails. They sat at the bar, which was lined with an assortment of different spirits, liquors and juices. Milo turned and looked over the city, seeing Goldenrod Gym close by. It was a big building with a banner across the door. Thinking it must have been reopened as a stat Gym, Milo squinted to see the words, but it was too far away.

“Beautiful view,” came a voice. Milo looked to see a man sitting at the other end of the bar.

“So what if it is,” he muttered. The man was scrawny with receding hair, but had an odd energy about him.

“Goldenrod glistens like a jewel in the sun,” he said poetically. “But there’s dirt beneath the fingernail.”

“What do you mean?” Jake asked.

“The name’s Jonty Ink,” he said, shooting a furtive glance. “I’m a reporter.”

“Following a scoop?” Jake asked.

“Always,” he replied, tapping his nose.

“Do you know why there is so much security around the city?” asked Milo, intrigued.

“Been a lot of thefts,” Jonty said. “Mainly coordinators.”

“Oh!” Jake said. “Milo, you should watch out!”

“Coordinating, are we kid?” the reporter asked.

“Yea,” Milo replied.

“There’s always been crime in Goldenrod,” he went on. “But recently there’s been a surge in contest-related thefts. There’s a few underground crime rings distributing well-groomed contest Pokemon, so Goldenrod is a perfect place to harvest.”

“That’s awful,” Jake said, sipping his drink.

“Gina Gourmante had one of her Pokemon stolen,” Jonty said. “This whole thing just got a lot bigger.”

“Shit!” Milo said.

“Poor Gina,” Jake muttered. Milo imagined her fake French accent deteriorating amid a slur of crooked British profanities. That was probably why they got searched the night before.

“So what happens now?” Milo asked.

“The city’s being combed,” Inky said. “Combed through and through. I’ve got a man on the police force feeding me info. I get to hear about the goings on.”

“Keep me in the loop,” Milo said, passing his phone, but Jonty Ink pulled away.

“I don’t spread my muck kid,” he replied. “Just look out for me while you’re here.”

“I will,” Milo said vigilantly, watching the man leave the bar quietly. He was somewhat in awe of the reporter; seeking the truth, looking for wrong-doers and exposing them. Maybe after his stint of random coke-catching, he could get a career in journalism.

“That guy was interesting,” Jake mused.

“Definitely,” Milo said.

“You really do like coordinating now,” Jake said.

“Do I?” Milo asked.

“Of course you do,” Jake said, licking the sugar from the rim of his glass. “Training your team, planning your appeals. You might have put on a routine of not caring, but you love that you’re competing in Goldenrod.”

“Maybe I do like contests,” Milo said irritably. “You know, in Ecruteak, Morty came outside after I appealed.”

“Oh, was that after you smashed me in the face?” Jake said.

“Exactly that,” Milo replied, ignoring the anger in Jake’s voice. “He came outside and said that he thought what I was doing was cool. He didn’t seem disappointed, or upset, he seemed happy I was doing it.”

“That’s good,” Jake said. “He’s really a good friend to you, isn’t he?”

“I don’t know about that,” Milo said, recalling their confrontation yesterday in the park. “We ended things on a low note.”

Jake saw Milo drink heavily from his beer and knew not to ask any more. He stared around the sleek wooden furnishings of the chic bar, before spying a girl with pink hair in the corner. She was chatting to someone he couldn’t see, but Jake knew who it was.

“Milo!” he hissed. “Look!”

“What?” Milo said, turning.

“It’s Whitney, the Gym Leader!”

Milo choked on his beer and spluttered across the bar. Jake set down his glass.

“I’m going to ask for an autograph!”

“Fuck that,” Milo said, grabbing his arm and steering the boy out of the bar.

“What are you doing?” Jake said, as Milo ran down the stairs quickly. “I had some of my drink left!”

“I didn’t want Whitney to see me,” Milo hissed, leading Jake onto the street. He bumped into a man as he left The Loft.

“Why?” Jake asked.

“She’s my ex,” Milo said.

“Shit!” Jake cried. “You used to go out with Whitney? The TV star?”

“We were the golden couple of Goldenrod,” Milo said. “I was seeing her for two years.”

“What happened?” Jake asked.

“A lot,” Milo said.

“I hate feeling shut out of your life,” Jake said sadly. “Like I don’t’ know what happened with Morty in the Park…or what happened between you and Whitney…and who was that Will guy you mentioned?”

“Jake shut up,” Milo snapped, storming off into the city.

“No!” Jake said, running after Milo. “I deserve some respect off you!”

“Respect?” he asked, turning around. “You think hearing some of the lowest points in my life constitutes some form of respect? We can perhaps bond over the skeletons in my closet?”

“Well, I-”

“Morty knows some things about my past,” Milo explained. “And he took me to a bad place by talking about them. I’ve never felt so low as I did when Morty confronted me about my past. I don’t want to talk about that sort of stuff.”

“Okay,” Jake said, patting Milo’s back. “I’m really sorry Milo.”

“It’s fine,” Milo replied. “I’m sorry for being shit with you sometimes.”

“What do you wanna do now?” Jake asked.

“Let’s go and splash some cash,” Milo said, pinging his credit card. “Fancy a new wardrobe?”

They decided to walk towards the shopping district, in the South-East. Back in The Lodge, however, Whitney was observing the street below; instead of sitting at the bar she was in a cosy booth by the window. She could see Milo walking through town.

“It was him,” she said firmly. “I knew it! I could hear his voice before.”

“Ignore him,” Jasmine replied, looking serious.

“I haven’t seen him for some time,” Whitney replied.

“Maybe you’re better for it,” Jasmine replied sourly. Whitney turned back to her.

“We have a lot of work to do,” Jasmine continued.

“I can’t be too involved in this, Jas,” Whitney replied. “I have a lot of commitments outside of my Gym. That alone is taking up a lot of my time.”

“You are well established in Goldenrod,” Jasmine explained. “We need someone like that.”

“Who is ‘we’?” Whitney asked.

“The people I work for,” Jasmine went on.

“I don’t like this,” Whitney said flatly. She got up to leave.

“We’re the good guys,” Jasmine assured her, but it was too late.

Whitney walked across the room, not looking back for one second. Jasmine let out a sigh and got her phone out, dialling and pressing it to her ear. It rang for only a single ring; the recipient was clearly expecting her.

“Whitney isn’t on board,” she sighed.

“It’s fine,” came a voice. “We think we have a date.”

“Oh,” she replied.

“Tomorrow night,” came the voice. “Hieroglyph Palace.”

“I’ll be there,” Jasmine replied, staring across the vast city. “I’ve got everything I need.”

And, between her slender fingers, she played with a thin membership card, with gold and black maze-like markings around an ornate symbol of an eye.

Next Chapter...
    The thefts continue in Goldenrod City, sparking insecurities among Milo and Jake. A night out at the uuber-trendy Cloyster Club goes awry, but what does the mysterious card have to do with it? Jasmine's mission goes horribly wrong.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Junior Trainer

Default Re: Show-Off - Chapter 9 posted!

Damn, Milo was being quite an a-hole with those cops... I daresay he had those baton-smacks coming. X3;

And there was that card again. Looks like it is indeed going to have some particular relevance to events to come. That plus whatever it is Jasmine's about to do (especially since it's apparently going to go "horribly wrong") has certainly got me intrigued.

Other highlights:

“Makes you realise how small we really are,” Denise mused.

“Yea,” Oliver replied. “Makes you feel lonely.”

“Oh I don’t know about that,” said the sultry officer, as she took her cap off and swept her glossy hair from her face. “Sometimes it’s nice to feel independent.”

“Oh, yea,” Oliver spluttered. “Independent is great. But in the long term, on such a…dangerous patch like this, it really revives that…mating instinct.”

“What?” Denise muttered, barely paying any attention.

“Nothing,” Oliver sighed.
    Yeah, real smooth, Oliver. XP

“Maybe if you give me your phone number I’ll remember what you’re talking about,” Milo said, smirking. Officer Walters got out her baton.

“Maybe if I sodomise you with my baton, you’ll remember what I’m talking about,” she replied.
    o___o; Damn. That's certainly a hell of a comeback.

“What a fantastic decision,” said the man, spraying crumbs.
    XD Lovely detail.

Medicham lowered herself back down and snapped her fingers provocatively, causing a rogue ember to burst into the air.
    Medicham is just being effing cool there.

Milo imagined her fake French accent deteriorating amid a slur of crooked British profanities.
    That's something of an amusing thought. XD

I'll be back for the next chapter!

Master Trainer

I read and typed a long reply last night, but alas at my computer it did not work.

So here we go again. Although its a shame that you aren't receiving my initial thoughts / reaction to the chapter.

I really enjoy your chapters, and the length of them makes it well worth the wait. How long do you usually aim your chapters to be? Do you have a specific number of words or pages?

I'm enjoying the involvement of familiar characters we all know as well. It was nice to see you use Whitney , as well as the two guards who hang out the front of Goldenrod. That made me smile. I remember versing those guards for the first time... *sigh* But, its nice to see the way you play with characters like Whitney and Morty and Jasmine. I'm curious as to what Whitney is up to.

It also seems like Milo is drinking every single day. Surely that can't be good for his liver!

2009 Silver Pencils:

Dream Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

"It might not look as pretty as a Butterfree, but he would certainly come in useful when Milo got on his nerves."

Lol. Smooth one, Jake, telling Milo the Paras was for stylist products. XD

Also, I found Bug-Eyes Brambles hilarious.

Self-note: Whitney is a 7 letter word. I kind of figured by his initial reaction when Jake mentioned her. I'm not sure that it needed to be spelled out, it was already strongly suggested and it seems odd of Milo to spill some of his secrets. But maybe he was so shaken by Morty's comment that he's acting out of character anyway.

Jasmine is creeping me out. O_o She totally didn't seem like that sort of nosy vengeful person in the game. I always thought she was timid and quiet. I wonder what she has planned? That card is kinda disturbing. I wonder if it has a hidden tracker or something, since Milo has one in his pocket.

Scythers are cool. I like them unevolved. Sleek powerful awesomeness.
    ~ Lune ~

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'll provide a bounteous reply to all of your replies shortly; the weather is so nice here I am off to the beach. But all I will say is that Karin, you're quite right that Whitney (and Jasmine, MLG) are seven letter words.

But neither are the password on Milo's phone. The Whitney thing was a bit of a red-herring.

So muse upon that

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sike: The card is pivotal in the next chapter. As is Jasmine's expanding role in the fic. I am also glad you liked the scene between Oliver and Denise; I like to start chapters by introducing new characters. Hope you enjoy next chapter!

Pancake: Oh thats a shame you couldn't post properly! Yea Milo does drink a lot. But I work in a cocktail bar so I love throwing alusions to drinks we make, bars or places I've done event work for and stuff.

As for the chapters; typically a chapter is 15 pages on word; I try to get at least 13 and will cut it if it's any more than 20 (I think Chapter 7, with the Ecruteak Contest, got to 20 pages. Chapter 6, showing Milo and Morty's relationship, was a bit difficult to pad out). I dont set limits since I like to think the message will be conveyed in whatever length it will be. If I add an extra 4 pages, the content has emerged for uncreative purposes.

I'm pleased you like the length; they never seem too big to me!? The Pokemon Masters League's last chapter was about 64 pages. So this seems small!

And thanks about the characters. I do like giving life to characters we may have seen in the games or anime; Bill, DJ Mary, Eusine etc are all in the fic, and Morty, Whitney and Jasmine are three characters who get a lot of development in the fic.

Karin: I suppose this is a world that may or may not hold continuity with the games or anime. So Karen the Ecruteak Leader is not related to Sid the E4 member in the games/anything, but is here. In the fic, Falkner's father is a man named Keadis who is central to a cool story arc I've set up, but he isn't named in the games etc.

So this slightly dark edge to Jasmine doesn't seem as left-field, I guess. I always found her really mysterious in the games, very quiet and kept to herself. Similarly there are some odd things we'll learn about Whitney in Goldenrod that DEFINITELY aren't in the games or the fic!

I'm glad you liked Barry Brambles. I think he is destined to roam the National Park forever XD.

And I love your card-tracker theory!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Dream Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Hm! Very interesting red herrings. Maybe Milo's seven letter word is a completely original character rather than people named in the game. I wonder if Jake asking about Will set him off rather than asking about Whitney. Totally sounds like Medicham belonged to Will, and Will died or something. I'd really like to see that back story eventually.
    ~ Lune ~

Master Trainer

Oh sigh! 15 pages on Word! With my story, I've been aiming at about 4 to 7 pages... trying to keep the size down so that people might have time to read my stories... but wow, 15 pages. Haha I guess , if this were a word document it would seem longer. It doesn't seem to be that long when I read however. I don't even notice. =)

2009 Silver Pencils: