Thread: WHAT?! How did this not come up earlier?!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default WHAT?! How did this not come up earlier?!

Okay ... going through the Fanfic Superthread and found an old old old Against All Odds.

Posted by a writer I used to admire for his fic "The Azure League" - Dragon_Knight.

Mattbcl - you were previously Dragon_Knight?!?!?!?!

How did this not come up earlier?!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: WHAT?! How did this not come up earlier?!

REALLY!? No wonder he has good writing skills.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    REALLY!? No wonder he has good writing skills.
    I know, right?!

I was like "wow, this guy writes really well!"

Turns out he's the person whose fic, The Azure League, I used to read in 2001. It made me massively inspired for LTL.

Not only that, his writing style and description and vocabulary in The Azure League totally made me grow my skills as a writer when I first joined in 2001. It was actually a big influence on me.

And the main character - Tom - being psychic was, I think, a big influence on Gavin Luper being psychic in LTL.

And it influenced my writing of The Crystal League, too.

Seriously, how did this not come up?!

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Written Into A Corner... Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Whoa, hold up there, my friend, 'fore everyone gets all bent out of shape. The reason it didn't come up before is because the truth is I'm not actually Dragon_Knight, so I can't claim credit for his personal brand of awesome. But back in the day, he was one of the first people to R&R my story, and we were... well, I don't know if I'd say exactly "friends", but "acquaintances". We'd ping back and forth a little bit. He enjoyed it so he kept up with it, even until the main TPM site went kaput and I moved it over to Fanfiction.net. After it was completed there, he contacted me to let me know that there was a forum active here with archived fanfiction, and he asked if he could have my permission to repost it. I said sure, since TPM was its first home anyway - by that time I was delving into other genres and hobbies, and I hadn't touched Pokémon for a little while, hence why I didn't do it myself. Maybe I could have, but he pretty much took care of that for me.

Also... *facepalm* I cringe to see what my writing was like back then, and to know other people are seeing it too! I hope that what I've been producing this year shows marked improvement.
    Last edited by mattbcl; 15th October 2011 at 09:42 AM.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

^_^ Okay, have actually read the first post of that thread now so ... my bad.

Are you still in touch with D_K at all?

Lisa the Legend

Written Into A Corner... Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Not these days, we fell out of touch some time ago. I don't think it was anything bad, but when I stopped writing Pokémon, we just kinda stopped chatting. (Gosh, I wonder if there's a connection there...) I remember he was pretty cool, though, and a gifted writer, so it was quite a compliment to have him as a fan.