Thread: Monica's Vendetta

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Monica's Vendetta

Ok here is Monica's Vendetta.

Book 1 - Monica's Army
    Book 2 - Monica's Revolution
    Book 3 - Monica's Vendetta

These three fanfics make up The Monica Chronicles. Now we are back on the new server, however, we have a slight problem as the maximum length for a post(or Chapter, per se) has now been lowered to 20,000. Now I had to edit the first post in order to change the title (to fit with the latest Chapter posted) but to save the changes I had to modify Ch1 in order to keep within the 20,000 characters limit.

So after editing it, getting rid of double-space paragraphs and doing everything I could it's STILL not enough. I could try splitting it up and inserting the second part of the chapter into a new post and (using my magi- I mean, mod powers) insert it inbetween this post and Ch2.....

EDIT: Shucks seems I can't do that. Okayyyyy, Ch1 is sort of .. hmm in the voids of time? I'll put a link to it from the old TPM. That'll do. Sorry to any readers!
    Last edited by Chris 2.1; 14th August 2007 at 08:43 AM.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Mire

Default Monica's Vendetta: Chapter 7 - 28th March

I believe I might have not posted much during Revolution, even though I did get on board a little late. This time I vow to be constant!

Poor Monica getting called back to the line of duty already, lol. Tekaru sounds like he'll shape up to be a pretty interesting character, and is this new evil supposed to be REALLY evil? I mean Dimitri was EVIL, this guy threatened to kill Tekaru so far (and I'm getting the notion he might have killed Tekaru's mother?) ... with you I can bet he's done worse though. Interested to learn about Evayard.

Seems Nat hasn't changed, really disliking Alan here... stupidhead.

A new badge for Al is nice, considering he definitely needs a couple. I'm curious as to why Monica didn't battle, she doesn't have the Verdant badge yet does she? Just trying to avoid it maybe?

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter already, and interested to see how the badges are expected to have more impact. Hope you bring back some of those contests as well, lol. Cheers to your writing!

YAY! Monica's Vendetta!

Anyway, this is a nice start. I especially loved the beginning. This Tekaru seems interesting, and... well, we've got to wait for the next chapter to properly see what this fic is going to be about...
    The Quest for the Legends

Chapter seventy-seven, THE END, up!

Also check out the spin-off, Scyther's Story, as well as its sequel, The Fall of a Leader.

Morphic
    Winner of six 2008 Silver Pencils, including Best Fiction Overall and Best Plot
    Now concluded with chapter fourteen!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Mire: Hey! Don't recall ever seeing you with Revolution, but it's nice to see you in Vendetta! Yea, everything's still quite soon after the end of Revolution, because as you can remember, Revolution still had a lot of loose ends. Vendetta ties them all up, and there will be many parts starting where Revolution left off (Phoenix and Lee both have journeys to begin). There are many references to Revolution and even Army, so visit the archive to buff up your knowledge.

The new evil is in many forms, one being Roger Megallo - Tekaru's future Father-In-Law. Of course, we don't know how serious the situation is, and when the group arrive in Evayard, they can assess whether or not the AU need to regroup to take Roger on...but as you'll also learn, smaller, side characters are also part of the grand tapestry. As for Roger killing Teresa? I won't say...

You'll see a change in Nat, she is different after Revolution. Is she just hiding it well?

Celadon Gym was a grass gym, and therefore Al could benefit from it (Quaker's deal with grass/ground/rock adeptry). Monica can't use a Verdant Badge because she is a Ghost Mage, and is therefore only aided by ghost or psychic-esque badges.

Try and see it this way: an adept cannot collect all the badges like a Gym Trainer would. Mortimer is level 22 - he has 21 badges, then. He has travelled the entire world collecting badges to help his Ghost Adeptry. There are infinite badges in the world, and each Adept carries with them the badges that helped them get here today.

I'm glad you're looking forward to Chapter 2 - it's a pretty cool one. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Dragonfree: Hey! It takes a few chapters to get off the ground (as opposed to Revolution, when the group travelled to Perlei in Chapter 1), but I hope you enjoy it. Tekaru develops an interesting personality which may cause trouble for other people around him...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Mire

I shouldn't exactly have expected you to remember me I guess, lol. Considering I only had a couple posts, as in literally a couple, and my name was formerly Djinn. Name changes, lol...

I'm going to have to slap myself in the had for the fourth time today for not noticing the badge thing... I really do remember knowing that now, if only I had remembered when I posted X_X

I was actually expecting this to start off with something Phoenix/Lee-esque but Tekaru is good too... especially if he develops an interesting personality, which is obviously a promise due to your reply to Dragonfree.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

That was a very well written first chapter of a third book in the series. I still think that dude who was looking for Monica is only going to get her in trouble.
    Nah, this seems to be a very promising story, I like how you started it off with a nice gym battle, and I felt that the fight versus Erika was too short, but then again it was better than a cliff hanger... I also like how that messenger dude heard about the AU, and how he is trying to solve his problem by getting help after realizing that he is too weak for the finishing off his opponnet, although it would be strange if his opponent was part of the AU, where many leads can be formed on who he is. Keep up the good work and Hope this goes along well, Thanks Chris.
    If something is wrong, please say so.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Mire: I remember Djinn! Hehe you popped in often. Weren't you Seryun? I wonder if he'll ever return...

When will we hear from Phoenix or Lee?

Powarun: Thanks very much - the chapters have all been redone and redone until it's just right. I want this perfect, and I want to keep you in the dark for a while....but most the questions you want to know NOW are answered next chapter. Of course, there is so much to ask...

I think starting it with a Gym Battle also helped give the readers a reminder of how adeptry works. Now Al can use that ferocious Leaf Blade attack, among other things. It also helped redefine his logical character.

Hmm granted Erika's match was short, but hey, it worked out ok in the end. Why did Monica envision the Gym, though? Is this a sign?

Tekaru was weak when facing his foe but....as you'll learn, Tekaru isn't weak at all. A strong foe seems to be the main advesery but will the AU be able to learn of the situation in order to help?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Update people!

There is, first of all, a small announcement to make! Early for a good reason, a contest will be going underway between the readers of Monica's Vendetta, new or old. Ever wanted to create your own adeptry type? What about your own city or town? How about a unique adeptry attack?

If that's a yes, then keep it here to find out how you can do that and more!

Meanwhile, it's been long enough. Chapter Two is below for all your viewing pleasure!

Monica’s Vendetta
    Two
    Karma Air

Monica and Nat had stayed up all night, keeping a close eye on this strange character in their home. Al, convinced he meant no harm, went to bed and awoke some 8 hours later feeling fresh and rejuvenated. Alan, who didn’t care about much anyway, just spent the day watching TV.

“He said he was looking for the AU,” Monica repeated, for possibly the 100th time that night. “That could be good or bad.”

“Well we won’t decide what it is until he wakes up,” Nat said slowly, giving a long, tired yawn. “Don’t you think we should get some sleep?”

“No!” Monica snapped. “If we let our guard down, he might attack.”

“Stop getting so edgy,” Alan told her lazily. “This guy will be alright.”

Monica gave Alan a disapproving glare, before focusing on the figure that slumped itself into their couch. Whoever he was, he looked very hurt.

“Look!” Nat cried suddenly. “I think he’s waking up!”

Turning, all four housemates watched the young man roll around slightly. He gave a long yawn, ran a hand through his gingery auburn hair and slowly opened his eyelids. He blinked the sleep towards the corner of his eyes, rose into a sitting position, and stared at the four people looking at him.

“Oh, hello,” he said in a very well-spoken voice.

“Are you ok?” Al asked him.

“I’m quite sore,” the boy replied. “Thank you for letting me recover last night.”

“You said you were looking for the AU,” Monica began. “Before you collapsed. Why do you need the AU?”

The boy looked at her.

“The AU has a reputation,” he explained. “After the defeat of Dimitri, most of the Adeptry Community know and acknowledge the Adepts who United to take on evil. I come seeking the help of the AU.”

“What has happened?” Nat asked urgently.

“An awful lot,” the boy said.

“Tell us everything,” Monica asked of the boy.

“Very well,” he said softly. “My name is Tekaru Farrimond, and I am the Prince of a beautiful continent called Evayard. Also known as the Nirvana on Earth, Evayard is famous for the almost unreal peace and serenity throughout the entire land. Nobody hears of conflict or violence. My mother, Lady Teresa, is the Queen, and she rules it with great care. With my father long deceased, my mother was keen to meet somebody new in her life, and she did. Roger Megallo. He is a stiff, uptight man and he is the main problem. He’s hard to trust, and for a while I was unsure of his motives. Now, though, I’m positive he is going to abuse his position as future King of the continent. Mum and Roger are already engaged, and they’re planning a marriage. I kept telling Mum that Roger is a bad man, and I have heard him say things he wishes he hasn’t…but Mum was sick of my ‘lies’ and told me to leave if I wasn’t going to stop tormenting her like this. I apologized and tried to forget about it…but…thing’s turned ugly.
    “Roger led me to the Evayard Wasteland – it isn’t technically part of Evayard, but it is a horrible, deceased area one should avoid at all costs. Home to evil spirits and adepts alike, I was surprised to be here. Roger told me to leave, but I wouldn’t. He dueled me, and I tried my best to overcome him…”

“But you lost,” Alan said blatantly.

“Yes,” Tekaru replied grittily, seeming to dislike Alan’s bitter, blunt side. “That’s why I was so exhausted and look so beaten up. He told me that if I tried to come back to Evayard, he’d kill me.”

“Oh my god!” Monica cried.

“He has to be stopped,” Tekaru said weakly. Nat, however, brought up an interesting point.

“How did you get here, then? Surely if you were so exhausted, you couldn’t leave the continent of Evayard.”

“I…” Tekaru began. “Well there is a way of reaching Evayard from Saffron City itself. I will show you it when you decide to take on Roger.”

“WE will take on Roger,” Monica stated. “You’ll come with us!”

“I…but…Roger said he would kill me!” Tekaru cried. “I cannot go!”

“If you want our help,” Al began. “You unite with us.”

Tekaru looked somewhat taken aback, but mustered up some inner strength and cleared his throat.

“Very well,” he concluded. “I’ll join you and together we shall defeat Roger!”

He stood up as he said this, thrusting his fist into the air. As he did so, an eerie chime rang through the room. The Adepts exchanged worried and intrigued looks as an orb of golden energy floated down from the ceiling. Tekaru grabbed it in his fist and, despite showing signs of it being hot, clutched it tightly.

“It’s…a badge!” he exclaimed, opening his hand and revealing… an AU badge . Golden, with a silver outline, the letters AU glimmered like a beacon of hope in everybody’s hearts.

“Tekaru!” Monica cried.

“I’m…an AU member?” Tekaru asked wearily.

“It looks like it!” Nat said happily. Alan, meanwhile, did not share the group’s happiness.

“Why haven’t I got one?” he snapped. “I’ve been living here about four bleeding months!”

“You haven’t earned one,” Nat snapped. “This is a sign, Tekaru! You have been recognized as having a pure heart, a noble spirit…a true soul.”

“So…when can we go to Evayard?” Monica asked.

“We should train up first,” Tekaru told them. “I can teach you some pretty cool Adeptry, like the Karma Air.”

“What’s that?” Nat asked keenly.

“It’s a form of adeptry anybody can use. The user creates an orb of their natural Adeptry type, and then plunges that concentrated energy into a certain part of their body or weapon. Come on, I’ll show you.”

“Wait,” Monica began. “I need some sleep first…”

And with that, she collapsed onto the couch. Al and Nat showed Tekaru around the house, but Alan, looking rather upset, left their company, muttering something about fool’s gold.

Meanwhile, a figure clambered out of a drain cover down a back alley in Saffron City. Wearing rather grand clothes, this first figure was of about 20 years old. With light blue hair streaked grey and tied in a small ponytail, he wiped dirt and sludge from his silky-looking baby blue clothes. With grey battle armor under his shoulders and stomach, he looked tall and broad. His eyes were piercing and he came across as a very controlling person.

“We’re here,” he said imperiously. “Saffron City.”

Helping a second figure up, the first man observed the city. The second, slightly younger by a year or so, had wild, thick spiked orange hair. Wearing more of a rough material on his burgundy clothes, as opposed to his partner, whose clothes were soft and graceful, it resembled a thin jacket. He had armor on his chest, over his breasts mainly, as well as his forearms. This adept had light brown eyes.

“Stay down there, in the sewers,” he shouted down the manhole. “We’ll chase Tekaru down there.”

Later on in the evening, when Monica and Nat had both had a good rest, they had gone with Tekaru and Al to an area in Saffron City which was trashed and deserted. This area had little or no occupants, so they decided to practice their Karma Air technique here. Alan had left the house and decided not to come out with them.

Tekaru stood facing Monica, Al and Nat, his weapon out. It was the hammer of Tartarus – a golden hammer with a long handle. Gripped in two hands, it looked phenomenally powerful.

“Ok, so you hold out your hand,” Tekaru began, taking his hammer in one hand and holding it out. “And summon as much of your energy as you can. KARMA AIR!”

Suddenly, swirls of energy swept from all around Tekaru, the energy being yellow and gold in colour. It collaborated in his hand, which Tekaru brought from being held forward to being held upright. The energy formed into a large orb.

“Into the hammer!” Tekaru roared, bringing the orb and plunging it into his hammer. As this happened, a brilliant glow of golden energy swept all around Tekaru and his weapon. Re-gripping his hammer in both hands, Tekaru leapt high into the air and swung the weapon to the ground, smashing it into the ground as a brilliant bolt of thunder shot down.

“Wow!” Monica exclaimed.

“My adeptry was focused solely into my weapon, so it deals impressive damage,” Tekaru explained. “Try it.”

Spacing out, Monica summoned her long, deep violet coloured staff. It was Apsu’s Scepter, and although she did not use it often, it was an elite weapon she did treasure very much. She held it out and threw her hand forwards.

“Karma air!” she cried, feeling a breeze whip up around her. Her free hand soon glowed as swirling energy peeled from her body. It was a calming, almost ticklish sensation, but nevertheless enjoyable. Her hand soon began to hold a ball of glowing purple energy, and as she threw her hand up into the air, she really felt its power surging above her.

“Into the rod!” she cried, pushing the orb into the diamond tip of her scepter. The energy took over in a dynamic sweeping motion, engulfing both her and her weapon in purple light.

“Signal beam!” Monica cried, holding her staff forward. A brilliant jet of silver light sped from her staff and smashed into an abandoned building. Dazzling silver sparks illuminated the gradually darker sky.

“Nice work,” Nat commented. There was a sudden rumble.

“What was that?” Al asked, looking around.

“Something big,” Monica muttered, hearing another almighty roar. They looked ahead to see, in actuality, a huge flaming figure, ten feet in height, stomping towards them with a human standing on each shoulder.

“That creature is composed from fire!” Nat cried alarmingly.

“That isn’t a creature,” Tekaru noted. “It is a form of adeptry. He has manipulated his adeptry into a solid form.”

“How do you know that?” Al asked.

“Those are two of Roger’s sons,” Tekaru began. “Scott is the Flame Champion, and Karadon is the Water Deity.”

“Roger has sons?” Monica asked. “And they’re…here?”

“After me, probably,” Tekaru admitted. “I wonder where Luke and Therebus are, though…”

Monica had not the time to ask who Luke or Therebus were. The two figures leapt off the flaming golem, which then formed into a huge fireball before hurling itself through the air towards the group.

“Get out the way!” Monica screamed, diving to the left. She smashed into the ground and gave a heavy groan, feeling strong surges of heat as the fireball swept over her head and smashed into the abandoned department store behind them.

“Is everyone ok?” she asked, getting up and observing everything around her. Tekaru had grabbed Al and helped throw him to the ground, while Nat had pressed herself down and also avoided any damage. The two figures were approaching the four now.

“Tekaru…” came the voice from the Adept who was quite clearly the Water Deity. Blue hair tied back into a small ponytail, streaked with grey, he wore armor over a well-defined chest. He observed the group.

“Karadon,” Tekaru growled. “What are you doing here?”

“We’ve been sent by Dad,” Scott, the Flame Champion, replied in a sharp, deep voice. He had wild, long spikes of a deep orange hair colour shooting from his head. He was stockier than Karadon and looked a year younger, give or take. While his older brother looked like a more commanding type, Scott came across as more of an order-taker, with his slightly shorter, stockier frame and big frown.

“Father has indeed sent us…” Karadon began. “He believes you’re falling in with the wrong crowd. This…AU we’ve heard of…it’s too dangerous to let you befriend.”

“Well too late!” Tekaru snapped, standing forward. He showed them the AU badge he had received. “I was admitted into the AU earlier today! Somebody somewhere has seen my noble heart and rewarded me!”

Karadon smirked.

“That means one thing,” he said simply. “We will kill you, too.”

“Oh no you won’t!” Nat cried, getting up to join Tekaru.

“You’ll fight us fairly,” Al snapped, getting up too.

“Four of you…” Karadon said idly. “And…four of us.”

He clicked his fingers and threw his hands to the ground. Two large explosions send two clouds of smoke into the air, one purple and one green. Appearing either side of Scott were two other people, roughly the same age as Scott and Karadon. The first, looking the same age as Karadon (perhaps 20) was thin and not wearing any armor. Dressed in grey and purple, he had a gaunt, sunken, chalk-like face with deep, burrowing brown eyes. He had a short black cape fluttering from one of his shoulders, which had a domed shoulder pad over the top. His hair was an inky black and was easy to lose oneself within. It was messy and scraggly.

“Hello Tekaru…” he said, in a rattling whisper, a snake’s voice.

“Therebus,” Tekaru growled. “The Ghost Whisperer.”

“Roger’s sons all seem to span into different Adeptry Clans,” Nat noted, watching the fourth figure form. With a similar built to Scott, Luke had fair hair which was short and flat. He wore clothes of a rough texture, brown and green in colour, resembling camouflage.

“Oh, Luke’s here, too,” Tekaru said sarcastically. Karadon, Luke, Therebus and Scott stood facing Monica, Al, Nat and Tekaru. Monica stared at Karadon, who she was facing. He had a pleasant smile on his face.

“So it’s settled,” Karadon announced. “A fight to the death!”

“Monica…” Tekaru murmured. “Don’t fight them! They’re too strong!”

It was too late. Karadon brought out two short swords, one in each hand of course, and summoned a geyser of water to erupt from underneath his feet. He swept up into the air and leapt off the column of water, soaring down upon Monica.

Monica was slashed across the face, screaming out loud as she flew backwards and smashed into the ground. Crying in pain, she looked up to see Karadon standing there. Meanwhile, the other adepts had all begun battling. Tekaru fought Luke, the Quaker, Al dueled against Therebus the Ghost Whisperer, and Nat went against Scott, the Flame Champion.

“Elementa!” Monica cried out loud. Holding her hands out, Monica powered up the elemental beam of ghost energy. Small beads of energy formed in her hands, getting larger and larger and materializing into a plate of pure power. She gave a roar, firing the beam from the energy on her hands, sending it through the air towards Karadon. It smashed into the young man, blocking him from view with an enigmatic purple light, which convinced Monica he would not be standing up when the attack faded away. Surprisingly, when the light did die down, Karadon was standing there, looking utterly unharmed.

“How did that happen?” Monica asked weakly. “That was one of my strongest attacks!”

“You have a lot to learn,” Karadon rasped. He drew his two short swords and crossed them over above his head. Swiping them down, making a strong slash one can hear when rubbing knives together, the two blades were enveloped in a blue energy. Karadon swept through the air, his swords gleaming, racing towards Monica.

“Will-O-Wisp!” Monica retaliated. Blue flames popped into life around her body. There were eight in total. They slowly got bigger as they span around, glowing a cool, icy colour and lighting up the night around them. They were released upon the girls command, swarming around Karadon like mosquitoes and bursting into life before him.

“Blade Jitsu!” Karadon snapped. He hurled both his small, dagger-like swords into the air. They spun around and swept after Monica, homing towards her like missiles. The young girl summoned her Scepter with its sleek, purple handle and large diamond tip. Turning and running away from the blades, she leapt up high and spun around, swiping her scepter horizontally and knocking the blades back.

Monica landed safely and looked around. Karadon stalked towards her, his two blades jammed in the ground between them both. She looked around; searching for Tekaru, Nat and Al, but none could be seen.

“Where is everybody?” Monica asked.

“My brothers are chasing your friends towards Saffron City Hotel.” Karadon began. “Such a high building…they won’t survive that fall…”

Karadon smirked, but he froze suddenly. Monica leapt into the air and began her Feverize attack – she took a gaseous form and floated around, before re-appearing in the air and delivering a sharp kick to Karadon’s face.

Simultaneously, the girl charged up a shadow ball and threw it at her foe. Karadon leapt over the attack and landed, but by then, Monica had already run into the distance towards Saffron City Hotel. Her friends were at stake, being led into a trap, and she had to alter the odds.

“Leave me alone!” Tekaru cried, tearing through the city. His soon-to-be stepbrother Luke was charging after him, an ugly grin on his face. Tekaru dashed down alleyways, being very lithe, agile and nimble. His stockier enemy was less light on his feet, smashing things away with his axe. It was the Golem Axe – composed of a black rock, it was durable and very strong, as well as heavy.

Where can I go? Tekaru thought to himself. Somewhere public…somewhere where people will see me…

He looked to see, just ahead of him, a large building with a neon sign reading ‘HOTEL SAFFRON’, in glitzy, curled yellow letters. Tekaru knew he should dash in there to avoid being attacked.

Meanwhile, both Al and Nat were in an alleyway. Cornered by Therebus and Scott, they turned to see an un-scalable brick wall. The only way to smash it down would be to use adeptry, but using it would make them vulnerable to the adeptry of their foes.

“Ha!” Scott shouted. “End of the line.”

“Your time is up, Adepts…” Therebus hissed softly. Nat frowned, summoning her sword and holding it slanted, panting heavily. Al had not got his sword out, but was watching the two carefully.

“Let’s pick them off separately,” Scott boomed. He summoned up a pair of large, silver pincers on his hands. He snapped them a few times, smirking at the noise they made. They looked like Scizor claws. “Guillotines!”

Therebus also summoned a weapon – a crossbow strapped to his left arm. It was golden in colour.

“Crossbow of Titans,” he whispered stealthily. “Arise…”

“Nat,” Al said softly. “Just do what I say, ok? I think I can get us out of this.”

The girl looked across at her companion, unsure weather or not to trust a less experienced adept. Swallowing, she gave a grave nod. Al mustered up his strength and summoned up a dome-like shield over himself.

“Karma air!” Al roared, charging the energy into an orb. “Enter the shield!”

He threw the orb up and it reached the top of the shield, absorbing into it and strengthening it overall. Now within a very durable shield, Al grabbed Nat’s hand and dragged her in, too.

“That’s pathetic!” Scott shouted. “GUILLOTINES OF THE FLAME!”

As he took over a Blaze form – when a Flame Adept shrouds themselves in living flames – his claws remained in their silver, metallic state. His eyes, dark patches on his face, flared with violence as he charged forward to shatter their shield.

“Wait…” Al said softly. “Wait until he gets in range…”

And as Scott got ever closer, Al suddenly shouted out “NOW!” Nat swung a sonique from her sword, sending the concentrated blade of silver energy through the shield at Scott. He was hit in midair, giving a cry of pain as he was thrown backwards.

“MERCURY ARROW!” Therebus cried manically. Legs apart, he blasted a silver arrow through the air. Al and Nat saw this coming, but did not know what to do. Al knew he could not counter this, but then turned to see the large brick wall behind him.

“Use a Karma Air to strengthen the shield,” he told Nat. “I’ll break this wall.”

Nat charged up a Karma Air orb, plunging it into the shield around her and Al. The Mercury Arrow struck through the shield, making a few cracks, causing Therebus to repeat the attack while Scott got himself ready again. As he raced forward, Nat unleashed another sonique to keep him back.

Al, meanwhile, crept out the confines of the shield and charged up energy all down his arm. It grew in size, turning into a scaly, rocky texture. This was his stone justice attack. He leapt high and slammed his fist into the brick wall, shattering it completely. Therebus and Scott saw this, leaping into the air to stop Al. Nat wasn’t going to let this happen, however, and jammed her sword into the ground. Roaring out loud, she sent columns of silver energy bursting up where Therebus and Scott were. Each of the adepts was hit, falling to the ground. Nat took this time to run with Al past the red rubble from the bricks making up the once solid wall. As they ran and came into a new street of Saffron City, they saw Tekaru sprinting past.

“SONIQUE!” Nat bellowed, charging up her attack and leaping to the right, sending the attack at Luke, who she knew would be chasing Tekaru. As Tekaru ran off to her left, and Luke blocked the attack to her right, Nat led Al after Tekaru.

Scott, Therebus and Luke met up.

“They are indeed agile,” Therebus whispered.

“But agility brings fatigue,” Scott replied. “They’ll tire soon. When has the mouse ever triumphed over the cat?”

“Never,” Luke snapped. “Come on, let’s go.”

Three days ago…

In the hidden continent of Evayard, AU members Mortimer, Boko, Afee and Lee were training. This hidden sanctum was a haven for all things fresh and beautiful, often referred to as the ‘Nirvana on Earth’. The group had earned the right to live and train here after stealing three strong, precious artifacts. As a result they were, at first, enemies to Monica, but the groups seemed to have patched things up since then, particularly because Lee used to be among Monica’s group.

Lee was half-hidden behind a pure white theatrical mask. It covered the left side of his face. While training under the guidance of Mortimer, Lee was caught up in a particularly rigorous session. A seed from a species of poisonous plant was latched onto the young boy, sending a searing purple scar down his face and lodging beneath his skin. Mortimer had managed to forge this mask for the young boy, which would neutralize the seed in its infant stage, but as the seed grew and its powers and poisons stirred within Lee, his mask would become more and more useless. Finding the second half of the Mask of Babylon would ensure Lee’s purge of this horrible seed.

Today was a special day for Lee, as he was leaving the company of Mortimer, the ghost adept who had become something of a guardian to him, Afee, the purist (an Adept dealing in dark, painful curses and spell-like Adeptry), who was wise, intellectual and fair, and finally Boko, the stocky Flame Champion who fought with a Scythe as his weapon. The three had become sort of like fatherly figures to Lee, who was, like Monica, 16 years of age.

Lee had decided to pursue the Mask of Babylon on his own. It was rumored to be in Evayard, which was where the group was anyway, but Lee had decided to search the Northern mountain range of Mahanui.

“Well Lee,” Mortimer said in his crisp, sharp voice. “Make sure to keep in touch with us while you’re gone.”

“I will,” Lee told him. “I shouldn’t be gone for too long. It may take up to a week to reach Mahanui, so I’ll be taking frequent stops along the way.”

“Lee,” Mortimer said softly. “Remember what we have both foreseen. There is…something on the horizon of time, and remember what we discussed. Be alert at all times and trust nobody.”

Lee nodded and turned to wander from the large, grassy plain where the four were training. Mortimer, Afee and Boko watched him leave, slightly disappointed that they would not see him for some time. Lee had soon left their sight altogether.

“Well, he will be back soon,” Afee said, his voice being quite high and screechy.

“Yes,” Mortimer said softly. “Now I think we should head east. Lee and I both received very odd and rather perturbing collection of visions as of late. I think we should travel to Agrotatio town and see if we can decipher our thoughts.”

When the three agreed on their destination, they began to wander off towards the eastward town. Mortimer and Lee were both Ghost Adepts, like Monica, and were able to get visions which sometimes foreshadowed things to come. They made their way towards Agrotatio town to see an elder named Greta who could help decipher what Mortimer saw.

Suddenly, there was a sharp pop noise. Green sparks erupted all around Mortimer, Afee and Boko as guards emerged on all sides. They had swords drawn and pointed them towards the three.

“What is going on?” Mortimer demanded.

“You three have been found guilty of treason,” one said. “We have evidence from witnesses and bystanders that you were plotting to overthrow Lady Teresa from the throne.”

“We would never!” Boko roared. “Who told you that?”

He looked past the guards but could not see anybody around.

“The peoples names will not be told,” said the guard. “Identities must be kept a secret.”

And with that, the guards unleashed strong Adeptry attacks over the three – special attacks which constricted adeptry and disabled it from use. Mortimer, Afee and Boko could only stand idly as they were led from the grassy plain towards an unknown fate. Mortimer’s head was swimming. Who had framed them? To their knowledge, they were not disliked by anybody they had met, so who would plan something like this?

Somebody who doesn’t want us here, Mortimer thought. But who?

The answer lay in the form of four figures, standing on a large rock overseeing the proceedings. One, the leader, began tying his blue-grey hair back into a small, sensible ponytail, smirking as he observed everything.

“I think our work is done here,” he said softly.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Um, I know this may seem pretty stupid but you added that a person pure of heart and someother mumbo jumbo stuff could earn an AU badge, so how was Ray able to lie to the gods and join the AU?

Other than that question you made this chapter pretty easy to understand, and it is pretty good that the story is progressing rather than having a filler the second chapter. I think that Tekaru shouldn't put all his strength into a weapon though, but then again you haven't made a character like that so far so that seems pretty fair. Oh and s Karma Air just like a stat raiser for the weapons?

Banned

hey Chris, long time no see! I've been bogged down by homework for the past few weeks and whenever i did have any free time there was always something else i had to do. but now, at last, I've been able to come and check to see if Vendetta is up and what do you know, IT IS! yes!!!

The beginning was great, and left a lot of unanswered questions, which is always good for the plot. I see you've made Alan into a permanent character, but he seems to be a bit of a jerk. eh, what am I saying? he's a total jerk. not quite what I expected, but maybe he'll mature a bit as the fic progresses. there's always room for improvement, isn't there? besides, he's also one of the younger ones there, isn't he? (younger than Monica is, I think). yah... It was kinda funny when he complained about not getting an AU badge, though. heh heh...

speaking of badges, Al's gym battle was pretty good, and it was nice to see Al being assertive with his logic skills. it's about time he gained a new badge, too, IMO. That leaf blade attack sounds like it might come in handy sometime.

Tekaru seems to be an interesting character, and his background story seems to be a complicated one. I'm sure there's still plenty we don't know about him, like why his step father is doing this, what he has planed (his step father, Rodger was it?), and what it means for us.

Lee has left on his quest to find the rest of the mask. will he be successful? and what's happening to Mortimer and the gang? will they be found innocent, or be wrongly convicted by Rodger. I'm sure he just wants them out of the way because he knows A) they're part of the AU B)they live right there in Evayard and C) they're very powerful and could probably tell what he was up to and try to put a stop to it before he had a good chance at evil domination.
    What about Lee? will he learn of this? if so, will he turn back and try to rescue them or press on? or maybe he'll try to contact the rest of the AU for help?

Those four step brothers seem to be quite a team. they've got a plan for taking everyone out at once, and Monica's gotta stop it. GASP! will she get there in time? and what about Alan? he seems to have dropped off the radar in this fight. maybe he'll come in and be a deciding factor in the fight. eh, wishful thinking on my part, but hey, you never know...

Powarun, if you've ever played Soul Calibur II, Karma Air is a lot like the soul charge: it's a temporary power boost put into a weapon to give it extra power, except Karma Air is a lot more versatile than a soul charge, because it can be put into anything, not just a weapon. Weapons were used as an example because that's probably the most common use for it. Karma air is basicaly a little ball of energy that supercharges something. It's not all that person's strength, just a power boost. It can be used on a shield too, as Al showed us with his when he and Nat were up against the brick wall. I wonder what would happen if you put it into a nice hunk of rock though. would it just explode after a minute? or maybe on impact, like a makeshift grenade. hmmm... idea!...

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Powarun: I think you're quite confused here. When the AU was established, it was when all the groups combined forces to rescue the 6 emblems. Ray wanted to rescue the emblems too, because he needed the world to stay together so he could get to Dimitri again.

However, now the AU is established, it is hard for any old Joe Bloggs to get in. Tekaru showed that he is pure, has an untainted body and mind, and will be a valuable assett to the team. That is how he earned his badge. There are other ways, of course.

Karma air is....sort of when you take some of your energy and force it into say, your weapon, increasing strikes with your sword. The more energy you use in Karma Air, the less you can do it. However, you can use smaller amounts when summoning a Karma Air, and be able to use small amounts more often. Do you see?

It's sort of relative to level. The stronger you air, the more energy you can summon, too. It might sound complicated but the story will explain it.

Monica, for example, could make her Spirit Punch stronger by using a Karma Air and entering it into her hand. The concept is one I was keen to try, and as Ultra said, I almost got the concept from Soul Callibur II (well, there is a similar concept in Shaman King also....) but I didn't steal it, I twisted it to a more easy form.

Ultra: Hey Alan! Lol. Alan is 15, Monica is 16, Nat is 18, Al is 19, Tekaru is 18. Alan is young, but his upbringing is so different to that of the others that he clashes with them so horribly. I'm sure he will be more mature in the future.

Indeed, Tekaru's stepfather was Roger. We don't know hs motives yet, but we don't actually know if he IS taking over Evayard or not. All we know is that he is engaged to Tekaru's Mother, Lady Teresa, and Tekaru believes he will abuse his position after marriage.

Hmm Roger wants Mortimer, Boko, Afee and Lee out of the way, but Lee has unknowingly escaped the trap. What is going on? Why would Mortimer & co's being in the AU be a threat?

If Lee does find out, will he show loyalty? You'll have to wait and see.

It does seem as if Tekaru's acceptace into the AU has upset Alan. What will he do? Can he save the day, will he save the day? The Four Brothers also seem to be strong and will stop at nothing to eliminate Tekaru and his friends. But why?

That's quite a good description there, thanks. It is, though, different in a sense, more versatile and easier to use.

Ok thanks for the replies! I know there are a lot of complicated names so I will perhaps make a post recapping on everything soon.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Nice chapter! We get to the plot, which is good. I'm liking Tekaru so far, and the thing with Roger and his sons seems interesting enough. Will Lee's quest to get the other half of that mask be an important point in this story?

Also check out the spin-off, Scyther's Story, as well as its sequel, The Fall of a Leader.

Morphic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dragonfree: Hey! Glad you liked the chapter. Umm Lee's quest is not as big a side story as Phoenix' is, but it serves a purpose. Character development for Lee, as well as introducing a character I think you'll all like named Gauld. Phoenix's side story is much bigger and important, and can therefore be introduced slightly later.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Mire

Powarun already has my Lee question covered, and besides the fact that you've pumped out another awesome chapter.

I'm wondering what level Roger's sons are, though its been established that they're relatively powerful, probably an understatement.

Mortimer/Boko/Afee arrested for treason? Interested to see how that plays out, and wondering about the "Lee showing loyalty" answer to Ultra's post.

I'd have to agree I like Tekaru, but the goody-good level is a little overwhelming.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Mire: Roger's sons are very strong, it seems. You will learn of their levels in due time. And will Lee try and save himself, or his comerades?
    Tekaru is as goody-good as you would expect for the Prince of a continent believing strongly in non-violence. You'll also learn he's very religious, which is where he can take some of his adeptry from...

Chapter 3 will be up soon.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hey...I'm in a good mood

Monica’s Vendetta
    Three
    The Darkness in your Heart

The chase ensued through Saffron City. Al and Nat, after finding Tekaru, followed him as he ran mercilessly through the large city, heading towards the Hotel. Hot on their heels were Therebus, Luke and Scott, all ruthless in killing their foes.

“He’s…heading to the…hotel!” Al cried, seeing Tekaru head down another left. “Any ideas why?”

“No,” Nat said urgently. “But we have to stay together. It’s vital.”

Al knew what the young girl meant, and proceeded to head on, wondering where Monica and Karadon were. Could Monica survive against him? Al didn’t think so. A month or so after returning from Perlei, Al and Monica had tried to talk about where their relationship stood, but it was a difficult affair. While not an item, the interest between the two was shrouded in mystery and confusion. Nevertheless, Al still cared for her and hoped she was doing ok.

There was a shout from behind them. It sounded like Scott, the Flame Champion, was summoning up an attack. Al stopped, as did Nat temporarily, ducking as a flaming discus swept towards them and headed for Tekaru. The young boy took a sharp turn to the left and disappeared. As Nat and Al continued to run, they came to Hotel Saffron – the glitziest hotel in Kanto. Seeing Tekaru disappear beneath the automatic doors, the two Quaker’s followed suit.

Instantly, the two were bowled away by the elegance of the hotel. The lobby was long, wide and spacious, with many crystal chandeliers suspending opulent light for all to see. A coy pond was in the center, with a velvet carpet leading towards it, around it and to the reception desk. However, it was empty.

“Al! Nat!” Tekaru cried happily. He was standing at the foot of a stairwell.

“Why are we here?” Nat asked. “Why did you come here?”

“I thought it would be crowded,” Tekaru explained. “Bustling, busy, you know. But it isn’t! The Hotel is deserted!”

“It’s midnight,” Al said suddenly, looking at his watch. “Everyone will be asleep!”

There was a resounding crash. A huge fireball, the size of a small house was hurled at the doors of the hotel. Smashing them open, tearing their polite, neat beauty into a form of reckless destruction. The three adepts watched, horrified, as the three enemies appeared in the torn doorway.

“Run!” Al cried, turning to the stairs. As Nat and Tekaru bolted towards the next floor, Al summoned a barrier-form of his shield to coat the entrance to the stairwell. The vines crept upwards and blocked off the AU members, who made their way to the top of the building.

“Damn them,” Scott snapped, clicking his fingers. Instantly his fist flared up into crackling flames, which he hurled forward at the shield. As the flames made contact, they began burning up the vines and slowly destroying the shield.

“I’ll break it,” Luke said, running forward. He leapt up and tackled the shield, shattering the barrier beneath the vines. Seeing a pair of feet disappear up the staircase, he led the way after Al, Nat and Tekaru.

At the top of the staircase, the three stared at the long, elegant corridor before them. The staircase was at the other end, but it was vital that they reached it in time. They heard a loud crash and saw three figures emerge up the staircase.

“Run!” Nat cried. “I’ll take these guys on.”

“Forget that!” Luke cried. He conjured up a ball of clay and threw it through the air. Nat ducked beneath it, but it smashed into Al and threw him to the ground. He wearily got up and, with Tekaru’s help, fled towards the upper floors. Nat stayed here.

“We’ll go after them,” Scott growled, smashing Nat in the face and tearing down the corridor with Luke. The eerie Therebus stood there, grinning with his thin lips, which had turned almost blue with his coldness.

“So…you think you are strong?” He asked quietly.

“Yes,” Nat snapped, drawing her sword. “I’ve slain many people with this blade, and I’ll slay you if I have to.”

“You cannot kill me,” he said softly. He floated up a foot or so into the air and held his hands forward. Purple bolts of energy swept from each hand and threw themselves at Nat. They were close together, and the corridor was thin, so Nat did not think she was able to dodge them. Instead, she leapt backwards and let the bolts scar the velvety carpet. She swung her blade and released a sonique, but Therebus melted into thin air and the attack smashed into a wall.

“I am….experienced, you see,” Therebus whispered, sweeping through the air invisible. He re-appeared right in front of Nat to deliver a sharp punch to the face. Nat fell backwards, giving Therebus opportunity to summon up his crossbow and take aim with a mercury arrow.

“What can I do?” Nat whispered to herself. As the arrow was released, it flew towards her, but the girl suddenly formed into stone. The arrow bounced off the pewter layer that seemed to have formed over Nat.

“What?” Therebus cried. Nat just lay there. He fired a shadow ball, but it dissolved upon contact with the large piece of rock, perfectly sculpted to represent Nat. Confused, Therebus landed from floating in the air and bent down to examine her.

“HA!” she cried, dissolving back into a human form and swiping her sword across Therebus’ chest. It scraped against a plate of armor, but threw him back surprisingly. Nat regained her posture and jammed her sword into the ground. A sword, comprised of energy, burst from the ground and struck Therebus. Nat brought her sword back up and pointed it towards her foe.

That stone attack was certainly interesting, Nat thought to herself. How did I do that?

“You may have good sword control,” Therebus cackled. “But I can change the odds!”

He held one hand forward, and the instant it glowed with a golden energy, Nat knew what was coming, having seen a similar attack used by Monica before. Nat’s sword was absorbed in a golden energy and slowly dragged towards Therebus. Despite resisting, and gripping tightly onto her blade, Nat found it hard to let go.

“GET OFF!” she screamed. She then had an idea. She let go of it suddenly, hoping it would fly at Therebus and hopefully hit him…but alas, it steadily drew to his hands, where he gripped it enticingly. Seeing this sick adept hold a treasure from her parents made Nat very angry indeed.

Could she summon an elementa?

Secretly, Nat had been studying the elementa technique, and knew she was able to summon an elementa into her sword. Was it possible she could do it without the sword? She had to hope so. Nat held her hands as if she were gripping her blade and muttered the words.

“ELEMENTA OF THE SWORD…ARISE!” She roared. Green energy began to form and circle around her hands, forming into a sword comprised of green energy. Nat watched curiously as brown engravings gave it shape and definition. She held it proudly, and knew how to make this count. Racing at Therebus, Nat was ready to strike him down.

She plunged the energy forward and into Therebus’ skin. He gave a loud cry as he took the damage, giving Nat the chance to grab her sword and leap back.

“I’m going,” she snapped, turning and heading down the corridor. Therebus stood back up, weaker but still strong, sending a Night shade through the air at his target. Nat leapt to the side as the Night Shade smashed into the wall. She kept going towards the end of the corridor.

Through the city, Monica ran from Karadon as he spurted jets of water from both his palms. The Ghost Mage found it hard to keep going against the onslaught of water that was being sent at her.

“Stop trying to evade,” Karadon boomed. “You are going to tire soon!”

Sure enough, Monica found it hard to keep dodging this string of attacks. A thick jet of water smashed into Monica and pressed her through the air, where she then fell onto her knees.

“You see?” Karadon said tauntingly. “You are tired, Monica.”

The girl got up and swung a punch. She hit the surprised adept in the face, but he grabbed her wrist soon after that and kept a firm grip on her.

“Now why not just close your eyes for the final time?” he grinned. Monica gave him an ugly look, but Karadon threw her to the ground in fury. “I’ve been sent to KILL YOU, for god’s sake! Die with dignity…”

“No!” Monica snapped, bringing up her scepter and smashing it around into Karadon’s ribs. He gave a long, aching groan and opened his eyes to see Monica disappear down an alleyway.

“WATER PULSE!” He roared. The ground trembled, and water gushed upwards like a geyser. Throwing his hands forward, Karadon ordered the spurt of water to gush down the alleyway after Monica, who hurried away.

As she ran, she noticed a ladder heading right the way up a building. Seeing this as one of the few ways she could avoid this water Karadon kept summoning, Monica grabbed onto a rung and began to clamber up carelessly, charging up a shadow ball in case Karadon tried following her.

As the Water Deity ran down the alleyway, he noticed Monica, half way up a set of flats. He let out a long, drawn-out laugh, watching her with glee.

“She’s doing the hard work for us,” he muttered, beginning to run after her. Once Monica eventually got onto the top of the building, she looked around. She was stuck…unless…

She held her scepter forward. Shouting out loud, she summoned a Karma Air with her free hand. Would this work? Could this work? There was only one way to test it out. She sent the large orb of Karma Adeptry into her left foot, and then summoned the next orb of concentrated Adeptry energy, before pushing it into her right foot. On the edge of the skyscraper, and eyeing the next one along (a shopping center), Monica took a few steps back and ran.

Karadon eventually got to the top of the ladder. He smirked, bringing both his blades from his badge and brandishing them stealthily. As he got onto the top of the building, however, he saw Monica leap from the building and onto the roof of the shopping center with a magnificent jump.

“Tekaru taught them Karma Air…” he growled fiercely. “DAMN HIM!”

Karadon looked around. Monica was, in actuality, heading towards the hotel. Karadon knew she was going there to stop his brothers hurting her friends. Karadon descended the ladder slowly, mulling things over. He would have to get to the Hotel before Monica.

Meanwhile, Al and Tekaru sped along another floor of the hotel. They both stopped, turning to face their foes. Luke and Scott, Quaker and Flame Champion respectively, grinned as they charged up attacks.

“This won’t take long!” Scott snapped, flaring up and summoning his guillotines. Luke got out his Golem Axe and watched them. Al, seeing this, summoned his Assassin Blade, and similarly, Tekaru brought out his Hammer of Tartarus.

“So, a 2-2 duel?” Al asked.

“That should be all it takes,” Luke told him. “GOLEM BLOW!”

He leapt high into the air, axe above his head, charging energy up in its blade. As he slammed downwards, Al held his sword horizontally to try and block the attack. Severe damage was dealt to Al’s weapon as Luke dealt the blow. Staggering backwards, Al noticed Tekaru swiftly evading Scott’s similarly agile blows.

“Leaf Blade!” Al cried suddenly, forming green energy on his forearms. The energy curved into green blades of energy, and as Al crossed his arms he flew through the air. He connected with Luke, slashing him in the face, dealing good damage, before pushing against Luke’s chest and propelling backwards to his original stance.

“You’re quite good…” Luke mumbled, feeling the mark Al let on his face. “Your actions aren’t based solely on strength…”

“Stop analyzing everything,” Scott snapped, opening his arms wide and releasing Ember Bowl. A flurry of embers streaked through the air, charring the walls of the corridor as they headed towards Al. Al brought up his shield and let the embers smash into it, before racing forward and slashing at Luke’s side. Slashing at an unprotected part of his body, Al smirked as he landed towards the staircase leading to the next floor.

“Al, stay back!” Tekaru cried. “LIGHTENING JOUST!”

His hammer formed into a lance as electrical energy crackled around it. Tekaru sped through the air, his feet barely grazing the velvet carpet. He shot his weapon forward as it formed into a golden lance of crackling lightening. Grinning, Tekaru swiped it forward at Scott, sending searing pain into his opponent and throwing him back ruthlessly.

“That’s right,” Scott growled. “You always had potential.”

Tekaru watched, but Scott gave off a small glow. He suddenly grew white-hot and exploded. The embers that followed disappeared into the air, and it seemed to Tekaru that Scott had simply disappeared.

“Where did he go?” Tekaru asked. Little did he realize, Scott reformed behind him and, summoning his Guillotines of the Flame, prepared to strike. Al, seeing this, charged up another leaf blade and swept through the air at tremendous speed.

“Surprise!” Scott cried, raising his claws. Tekaru turned, gasped and stepped back precariously just as Al smashed right into Scott’s back. Scott flew forward at Tekaru, who released a large bolt of electricity from his palm into the stomach of his foe.

As Scott collapsed, stomach paralyzed, it became apparent he was temporarily defeated. Luke was bleeding very lightly, and his clothes were ripped, but he wanted to concentrate more on helping his brother than getting their enemies. As Luke aided his brother, Tekaru and Al sped through the Hotel.

“That was amazing!” Tekaru cried. “You’re a very skilled Adept, Alexander.”

Al blushed at being referred to by his full name. Seeing Tekaru, and fighting for the boy’s life had filled him with a satisfaction he found difficult to explain. All-in-all, as he ran to the staircase, he felt stronger than ever.

Meanwhile, Nat was tearing up the staircase leading to the floor Al and Tekaru just left. Therebus was right behind her, summoning a variety of attacks her way. Having to block them was difficult, especially when you are facing away from them. She was struck in the back by another shadow ball and dropped to her knees.

As the wicked foe drew near, Nat got her sword ready and prepared to strike. She leapt up and swung her sword down, but the split second before her blade reached Therebus, he leapt to the left and managed to take no damage. Nat took this time to run.

Heading up the stairs, she noticed how disrupted this floor was. As it leveled off and she found herself in the corridor, she noticed charred marks all across the walls and doors of residents. Why hadn’t anybody heard them?

Starting to wonder if the four Adepts had somehow fixed this entire hotel, Nat was getting more and more wary of her surroundings. She ran down the corridor, but as she did, she noticed Luke and Scott on the floor. Luke was whispering to his brother, who was groaning in pain. Luke had a bandage across the side of his stomach.

“STOP HER!” Therebus screeched from behind her. Luke instantly got up and created a ball of sloppy mud. He hurled it towards Nat, but the girl slashed with her sword and managed to block the mud away. She slashed a sonique as she ran, smashing into Luke and giving her space to run.

“She’s going right into the trap…” Scott groaned. Therebus knelt down and began a strange ritual using a large crystal pendant. He held it by a loop from the top, and as he muttered, a strange glow took over the three men.

“Thanks,” Luke said, feeling his bandage fall to reveal a healed wound. Scott got up straight away, smoothening his stomach to find the paralysis gone. The crystal Therebus used had seemingly healed the three.

“Let’s unite on the top floor,” Scott said firmly. The three ran towards the top of the hotel.

Meanwhile, Nat had managed to catch up with Al and Tekaru. They exchanged stories as they ran, hearing adeptry behind them and knowing safely that the other three were hot on their trail.

“I just hope Monica’s ok,” Al gasped, as they ran up another staircase.

“I bet she’ll be fine,” Nat said.

“While Karadon’s adeptry is potent, I think Monica can at least get to safety,” Tekaru told them. Nat gave this no acknowledgement, as she knew fine well Monica was an extremely strong Adept.

“We must be on the top floor!” Al commented, slowing down slightly. The rooms were bigger and therefore further apart. There were crystal chandeliers lining the ceiling every few feet. While Al and Nat looked impressed, Tekaru was nonplussed about the style of the hotel.

“Look!” Al cried. He saw a staircase at the end of the corridor leading up a few steps, where bright white light was visible. “This must be the way out!”

“Why do we want to go out?” Nat asked. “Onto the top floor? We’ll be stuck!”

There was a loud roar, and a huge fireball flew through the air from the staircase. Tekaru responded by firing a thunderbolt to pierce the fireball into sparks and embers, destroying it completely. Knowing that Scott, Luke and Therebus were nearby, they sped off in the only direction they could.

They got ever closer to the four or five stone steps leading outside to the roof of the Hotel. Soon, within mere seconds, they had run up the few steps and flew out a double doorway. Straight ahead of them was Monica, standing with her staff ready, looking worried.

“Monica!” Al cried.

“Stay back!” Monica cried loudly, sweeping her hand.

“What? Stay back?” Al asked, stopping. Nat and Tekaru turned to see Karadon behind them, standing above the doorway they had just run through. He smirked. The three gasped as the other brothers ran up the steps and through the doorway, too. Karadon landed, closing the doors and blocking them with his fellow adept brothers.

“It was a trap!” Nat cried, leaping over to where Monica was. Al and Tekaru did likewise.

“Very well done, Nat,” Therebus said softly.

“Karadon, why are you doing this?” Tekaru cried desperately. “Roger is using you! Can’t you see that?”

Karadon’s eyebrows dropped down heavily.

“How dare you insult my father like that!” he roared. He charged up energy in his palm, sending a huge ball of scalding hot water at Tekaru. Tekaru let the attack splash into his face, sending searing pain across his skin.

“We’re here to end you,” Scott growled. “Orders have been given.”

He instantly clicked his fingers. From his feet, flames swept up his body and cloaked him completely. His two Pincers were also activated, gleaming a brilliant silver and snapping wildly. His thick, long, orange spikes shot off in all directions.

“Shall we keep the same foes as previously?” he asked sickly.

“I think so,” Karadon replied calmly. He signaled towards Monica, who looked utterly petrified. “Swords of Damocles arise.”

Holding the two small daggers, Karadon eyed Monica with intent on the large, wide, spacious roof of the Saffron City Hotel. Monica clutched her sleek weapon with fury and tried her best to stay focused.

“Brothers,” Karadon boomed. “Let us summon all of our strength into a final blow to the Adepts United.”

He charged up energy throughout his body. An elementa seemed to form – energy in every shade of blue and silver rose from Karadon’s body to take a large, ten-foot solid form. It was a golem. With long, thin, fan-like arms reaching to the ground, it was thin but powerful. Its legs were shorter, and its body was decorated with various silver angelic patterns. It had slits as eyes, a dark red in colour, which looked focused and ready.

“Our Elementa take solid forms,” Karadon said softly. “This is Behemoth.”

Karadon leapt high into the air and onto the shoulder of Behemoth. Monica remembered a fiery golem that rode into the city, when they first saw the four brothers. That must have been Scott’s golem. One-by-one, the other three brothers did exactly like Karadon – coloured energy formed from their bodies, leaving them and taking large, human-like forms behind them. Scott’s was what it had been previously – the slightly smaller figure, with a longer head and shorter arms. Thick, black horns rose from either side of its head, and a combination of gold and bronze marks drew themselves on the golem’s body, looking straighter and less graceful than those on Behemoth.

“Arise, Delvil!” Scott said gleefully, as the huge towering golem, composed completely of fire, allowed its owner to leap onto its shoulder. Monica, Nat and Al watched with fear as the figures rose one by one. Tekaru looked frustrated at seeing these huge figures of power.

“I’ve never seen Adeptry so potent before…” Nat muttered. “Solid adeptry, a physical form…”

It was evident that Nat was impressed by the new Golem’s arising before them. Luke’s was next – the dull, muddy-green energy took a medium sized build, with four pairs of arms stretching and morphing from its body. Red eyes, round and bulbous, formed on its thin face as spindly, clawed legs materialized. As the energy began to fade down, its skin looked to be composed of bark.

“The Tree Insect, Forrai,” Luke announced proudly, as spindly wings popped out of its back. The familiar glow of green Quaker energy took Forrai over instantly while Luke reached its shoulders. Therebus was still charging his energy up.

Suddenly, the shape Therebus was summoning reached its final form as limbs and details materialized. It was the strangest of the four Golems, as this one seemed to be a human, as opposed to a creature of energy. The large woman, nine foot in height, was made of chalky purple colours, looking like something from an abstract painting more than anything. She had long, flowing black hair and a piercing face, with a tight purple dress on and long, black boots. She had such a well-defined face; it was hard to believe this woman was no woman at all, in actuality being comprised of adeptry energy.

“Spirit of Mother,” Therebus said hoarsely. “I summon thee!”

And so the four brothers had their four spirits - the elegant, water spirit of Behemoth, the evil, brutal fire spirit of Delvil, the insect tree spirit of Forrai, and the Spirit of Mother. The four large spirits watched over the four Adepts facing them. How could they defeat them?

“Everybody take your aim,” Monica said urgently. “Although it’s hard to miss, really.”

She launched a Night Shade through the air. The wavering bolt of purple energy pierced the chest of Behemoth, but it did little or no damage. Karadon laughed coldly as Monica sent two more attacks towards her foe.

“You cannot fight against such force!” Karadon bellowed. Al leapt up and charged up a leaf blade, hoping the green blades of energy down his arms would help him against Scott. He soared through the air blissfully, arms crossed, waiting to unleash his strength. As he got within range of Delvil, however, the large golem swung its large, flaming fist and smashed it into Al. The young man was thrown towards the ground relentlessly, groaning in pain as his leg cracked.

“It’s broken!” he wept, moaning out loud. The other three watched on in horror. Al was already taken down…what could they do?

“We have to combine attacks!” Monica cried desperately, watching Tekaru summon his hammer and race towards Forrai and Luke. With a swing, Tekaru smashed into the spirit, but with an attack from Luke, the young boy was thrown backwards.

“Monica!” Tekaru shouted suddenly. “Look out!”

A sudden beam of chilled ice swept from Behemoth. Tekaru saw this, collecting his strength and running through the air at her, hammer ready. Leaping forward, Tekaru sent a bolt of lightening forward, destroying the ice and shattering it into mere powder before their eyes.

“Tekaru!” Monica exclaimed, stepping back. “You…took an attack for me?”

“Mistress of the AU,” he began softly. “I would take a thousand attacks for you!”

“EVERYBODY RELEASE THEIR ELEMENTA!” Karadon roared. “OUR FINAL SHOWDOWN WILL OBLITERATE THIS LOT!”

“No…” Tekaru mumbled.

“What is ‘final showdown’?” Nat asked urgently.

“A combination of all four Elementa,” Tekaru said with fear. “Everybody watch out!”

Each of the Four Brothers leapt from their respective spirits. The four spirits then glowed in bright colours, before melting into huge, bungalow-sized perpetual orbs of their respected colours. Behemoth materialized into a silvery blue ball of misty hue, while Delvil became a deep blood-red orb with bronze streaks. As Forrai slowly morphed into the large, muddy green orb of Quaker energy, Spirit of Mother formed into a slightly eerie silver and purple orb. Each floated above their owners, before slowly forming into each other and melting towards a final orb of floating, white energy which the four seemed to be sustaining.

“Good god,” Monica gaped.

“That thing’s colossal!” Al whined.

Suddenly, there was a sharp whooshing noise. A figure was leaping from roof to roof behind them, cloaked in flames with a thin sword. Only when the figure leapt onto the roof of the Saffron Hotel did it become apparent who they were.

As the flames died down, Alan stood there, between the two groups, a slightly curved sword held ready. He wore a deep red and dusty brown tunic, instead of the usual clothes he wore like baggy jeans and a hooded top. He actually looked like an adept. He had skillfully styled his usually messy brown hair, and put contact lenses in his eyes to replace his glasses.

“Alan!” Nat exclaimed.

“I’m here,” he announced darkly.

“You look…great!” Monica said hoarsely. But their friend looked upset.

“I tried everything I could,” Alan said. “I wanted to become one of you so badly. I met a man who could change me, and I’ve been seeing him a bit lately. Ever since HE -” (he shot a glance at Tekaru) “– got into the AU so easily, and I, after months, hadn’t been admitted, I felt my outlook was lacking something. This man changed me for the better; I had it in me to become a different person!”

He turned right around to face them. The moonlight cast a silvery, ghostly look over his sad, distraught face.

“I did everything I could, but it was all in vain,” he explained. A tear slipped from his weak eyes and trickled down his face, reflecting the moonlight. “And now, all I can do is protect you.”

“What are you on about?” Nat asked. “Don’t take on those four!”

“It is what I’m here for,” Alan explained. “There is darkness in my heart, and to purge it…”

Alan sent flames whooshing up his somewhat curved blade.

“…I must do this.”

“Alan, don’t do it!” Al cried. But it was too late. Alan swept up into the air and soared towards the Final Showdown attack the four brothers had been powering up. He held his sword high, ready to strike, but as the huge white, roaring orb of amazingly potent energy was thrown down like a meteorite, everyone knew Alan had no chance of escape.

“THE DARKNESS IN MY HEART!” Alan screamed, as he threw himself at the attack. “I CAN FEEL IT LIFTING!”

Alan’s impact on the large attack only seemed to re-direct it slightly. Now, as Alan had run in with his adeptry blazing from the right, the awesome spectacle of energy swept down to the left, away from the group. Tekaru leapt towards Monica, grabbing her and leading her away, while Nat helped Al out of the way. One side of the hotel was torn apart ruthlessly as the cataclysmic battle began to end. Alan and the energy were hurled down towards the ground.

“ALAN!” Monica screamed, as Tekaru shielded her from harm. It was evident that he could not have survived the blast. Nat, meanwhile, was watching Karadon and the other three brothers’ talk to a blue, ghostly figure – a pathian form of someone. The pathian technique involved summoning the presence of a person to communicate with them, almost like a telephone or web cam.

“Who is that?” Nat asked.

“That person they are talking to?” Tekaru asked. “It is Roger himself.”

“I’m so, so sorry,” Karadon began, turning to face the Adepts. “It appears we are needed elsewhere.”

He glanced around the wrecked roof, as well as the left side, which was smashed and ploughed through nastily. As the orb of energy hit the ground, a resounding crash signaled an explosion. The group stood back.

“We’ve done enough. Although we killed an innocent, non-AU member, we have at least established that we won’t be going away while you are all alive. You have seen how strong we are. Don’t underestimate us. Good bye.”

Karadon threw something down to the ground, which caused him and his brothers to teleport instantly, as well as the pathian image to fade away. The four spent the next ten minutes just lying there, panting, catching breath, and trying to deny what they witnessed.

“Alan…” Al sighed.

“He didn’t…” Monica sighed. “He was jealous of Tekaru?”

“There’s more to it than that,” Nat snapped. “He met somebody…a man who taught him how to change himself, or something.”

She sighed as she got up.

“And what about ‘the darkness in his heart’?”

Next Chapter:
    -Fools Gold
    -Phoenix
    -A voice in your head? Or an unwelcome visitor?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Banned

h:

^yah.

all I can say is: shnargloopofozlotinjelnotztoogudfaryintopolin! yah, it's a mouthful, but hey, cheese!

*ahem* The battles against the four brothers were pretty cool, and the four solid elementa type things were pretty cool. too bad we didn't get to see them in action. as a matter of fact, besides to showcase all the golem/elementa/giant things, was there any purpose in showing them? maybe they were necessary to summon before they could complete their Final Showdown attack.

But then, Alan shows up, and as I'm reading my face looks like the one at the beginning of the post. dang. but is this really the end of Alan? I'm sure you're not going to snuff out a character just like that. and also, didn't he say something about the "darkness in his heart" lifting? surely that could only be good. besides, we've seen characters survive/come back from gigantic attacks/things like that, so we know it's not immpossible. perhaps we will see him again.

on a side note: didn't Alan have black hair? and I thought his weapon was a bow/double bladed saber thing. Maybe the sword was a gift from that strange man he was talking about...

The mysterious man, who could he be? Phoenix, maybe? or maybe a totally new character. hmm... I have a feeling the AU will meet him some time soon.....

The way the four brothers left was a little abrupt, but as they sometimes say, "Orders is orders." I wonder what they're being called off to do, though. maybe it has something to do with Mortimer and the gang? who knows? well, yah, sure, Chris does, but he's writing the fic! lol.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Awesome chapter, here I was thinking that Alan was a Fadept or what ever you call them, who was just a side character. I would like to see how his body appeared after that attack though, just to make sure he is dead. I have a small idea who taught Alan, and I want to say that he was from the orginal Monica's Army. The four brothers seem like a good match for the AU, maybe a few gym battles could help them.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ultra: Hmm well Chapter Three did leave many loose threads, but they get tied up at the right time. The reason the Four Brothers summoned their solid Elementa were probably to intimidate their foes. They don't need this stage to set up the final showdown, but it is evident that they mean business. While the battle was cut short, you'll be seeing them again soon.

The issue with Alan is confusing, but as you'll see, it is an important event. His final words were odd, but they make perfect sense as the fic progresses. Next Chapter the group decide to act on what they heard, and find out who caused Alan's suicide.

Did I say Alan didn't have black hair? I'm sure I said it was black. It is usually messy, though, and atop the hotel he decided to style it. He also had contact lenses in and changed into adeptry clothes. His Flame Saber was discarded for a curved blade...but why?

Phoenix behind this? Maybe. It is explained in due time.

I felt that it was written badly when Karadon & his brothers just left, but as you'll learn, they had a good reason. The story unfolds slowly, but I give you just enough to entice you!

Powarun: I wonder if Alan IS dead? And you think Ouranos was the one who twisted Alan's mind? Remember, Alan was driven to some sort of kamikaze attack....would Ouranos do that?

The Brothers seem like strong foes, and with 4 of them, and 4 in Monica's group, are they destined to fight? They'll have to if they want to het to Roger....

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Banned

On who it was Alan was speaking of (the man who changed him), the thought that it was one of the original in Monica's Army never crossed my mind. Ouranos? I certainly didn't expect him. Could it have been someone else though? maybe even a ghost? hmm...

btw, here's the quote where it said Alan had brown hair. It was when you were describing him when he first let down his Blaze (that's what it's called with all the fire around them, right? I can't remember... heh heh. )

He had skillfully styled his usually messy brown hair...

I'm kinda late, but oh well. Nice chapter; I liked Nat's turning-into-stone thingy. Alan's part seemed clichéd, but knowing you, it's going to have a good explanation, so... *waits for chapter three*

Morphic

Returning Hotshot Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Hello Chris, you know i must've been watching for Vendetta to start every day up until around about the day you started it, and now i'm disappointed i've missed out on the first few chapters to analyse and talk about .
    Anyways, i'll be watching from now on, so you won't be getting rid of me that easily!

******Also hello to Dragonfree, Powarun, Ultra_Poke2000 and Mire!!!!******

Just a few quick things, regarding Roger, he reminds me of Claudius from Hamlet, don't know why, guess it's cause i'm studying the play at the moment. His sons sound very interesting, and the reason behind his power-hungriness would be nice to find out - does he have a reason or is he just plain evil? Also regarding his first wife (i assume there was one - he has four sons!), where is she or is she dead? (Edit: hope we hear more about Spirit of Mother)

Alan really annoyed me, he just doesn't work in this fic at all, he was like an outsider that had been dropped into the fic from a Metallica concert or something, but why must he die *coughormaybenotcough* when he finally came good? Strange how my opinion could change so fast.

Nat has really changed, she's not the gentle, caring type she used to be. At the end of MA she lost her close friend, Lee. At the end of MR she lost Dimitri, her brother. I hope her bitter and i-hate-the-world attitude changes, for her sake. Her Stone Freeze attack was kewl to say the least. I love Nat. *ahem* As a character.

Tekaru is. . . well he's not really much yet, apart from a cardboard cut-out. I couldn't understand why he didn't want to help the AU at the beginning - surely he wanted to relieve his mother of the evil Roger?

Wow, chapter three ends with a giant battle which usually happens at the end of a fic - super cool! Cannot wait for chapter 4, and now that i'm re-hooked on Monica's adventures, there's no way i'm keeping away.

Oh great, didn't i say i'd cut it short this time? I've got to stop voicing all my thoughts!

Damien.

Watch out for my new fanfic - Changing times

* Chapter 1 Up! *

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ultra_Poke2000: I sort of mentioned that THOUGHT in response to Powarun...but is it a returning character whom we already know, or an entirely new face? A ghost does also sound plausible...you'll just have to wait and see.

Oh right....ok, so I messed up ^^ and yea, you get +1 point for Monica Fic knowledge! Blaze is when the user covers themselves in fire, but what is it called when the adept becomes a water-like creature capable of breathing of water? Or when a Purist turns into steel?

Dragonfree: Hmm yea, Nat has found an ability she never knew about! Gasp. If she can master it, she'll be pretty good. Alan's story folds out to so much more....

Oakbark: Hola! And may I say welcome! Please keep up these BIG posts; I like replying to them

Hmm yea, Roger seems like Claudius I guess. I suppose the whole 'royalty' thing is really what makes it so. I think, however, the situation will be rather different as the fic progresses. It gets deep, you see, deeper than Hamlet ever got.

Roger's wife? The boy's mother? You've touched upon such a big subject ....I want to say, but I won't. It should be cool

Yea, why should Alan die when he became likeable? Because he was made likeable? Because he changed? Hmm. I admit I always liked Alan, and I didn't like killing him off, to be perfectly honest. True, it was easier than killing off Monica or Phoenix, but it still felt as if it wasn't right. But it was.

Nat's ruthless now. In Army, she was very ferocious and savage; she'd been living in wilderness for many years. In MR, we saw a development in her character as she was enclosed in the large fortress. I really liked showing that side. But now, it seems as if her attitude has changed again. She never lets her guard down. Monica was almost the same, accusing Erica of being an enemy in Chapter 1, as well as her initial reaction to Tekaru. Was it that Ray's true character drained Monica's trust in people?

I think Tekaru went to see the AU to get them to go and sort Roger out. I think that, without a real father figure, and four soon-to-be-stepbrothers towering over him, he never felt confident. When the AU explained they work together, and Tekaru vowed to work with them, his new outlook on life came in the form of an AU badge.

As for Ch4, it delves much deeper into the incident involving Alan. It's shorter than the others, but it is the right length. People think a fic should have chapters all X pages long. But the right amount of things should be said in each chapter: I could reveal EVERYTHING in Chapter one, like how Roger is raising a swarm of ravenous frogs, or how Tekaru's middle name is Sourbury, even that Monica and Phoenix get married at the end, but I'm letting them unfold gently, unlike in Revolution.

Oh, and those are all made up

And as I said, please post BIG posts I can read, I love seeing all you guys thoughts.

Chapter Four will be up sometime during next week I imagine. I won't say anymore than what I said in the Ch3 post:

-Fools Gold
    -Phoenix
    -A voice in your head? Or an unwelcome visitor?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Why did you answer all my questions with questions. I was thinking that Ouranos, when I wrote that question, keying in that he wasn't in MA, but seemed to support Monica quite alot. I figured Alan died though, reminds me of Sid, just he wasn't a murderer, just a kid who went in a portal at the wrong time. Which will brink up the question on how will Monica deliver the news to his parents or those whom which cared for him.

Although the 4 brothers and the 4 AU members seem like a liable match, it would be much more cooler to have the whole AU just destroy Roger. Although Roger may not be as bad as Tekaru says he is, maybe he just might be jealous that his mom is paying more attention to Roger than himself, and he wants to create lies to get what he wants.

When Nat turned to stone it reminds me of SUper Mario 3, when you get the tenuki suit, aka the raccoon suit. If you hold down and B you turn inot a stone figure.

I still say you have to create a super powerful adept who's weapon is a sling shot.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Powarun: Usually I want to build on the ideas you bring up. I can't directly answer them because that spoils things.

I think before destroying Roger, the AU have to confront the brothers. I wonder if the AU could take them on...

And who says I haven't planned a character with a slingshot?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Junior Trainer

Just a quick note: I love the new weapons, especially the pincers (could you explain how they are held in an adept's hand?) and the super cool hammers, which not many people seem to use. My personal interpretation of hammers would be two handheld hammers which can be thrown like boomerangs or rubbed together to form a static charge, but then again the variety of interpretation is endless.

Damien.

* Chapter 1 Up! *

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Oakbark: Yea I had the Hammer Bros idea too, but I like Tekaru's two-handed Hammer a lot, too. The pincers are sort of worn like gloves, but they are metal. They are bigger than gloves, twice the size, and Scott snaps them because his hands are in with his fingers in the top and his thumb in the bottom. They are also jagged, not smooth blades on the insides. They are almost like teeth....

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

what is it called when the adept becomes a water-like creature capable of breathing of water?
    Ooh, I know that one! Zorian, wasn't it? Or something really close, anyway...

Morphic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dragonfree: Well done I'm just making sure you all remember things. A lot of the fic will rely on your past knowledge of the other 2 fics, and it needs to be accurate! So try and read the odd chapter of both Army and Revolution to make things easier.

And here it is! Chapter 4!

Monica’s Vendetta
    Four
    Pyrites

Together in a graveyard just outside Saffron City, Monica, Al, Nat and Tekaru stood by a neatly cut grave that Alan had been lowered in. After going to the base of the hotel and down the side alleyway, they found his oddly neat corpse lying there. Furthermore, the side of the hotel was torn apart, yet nobody had reported it.

“Goodbye, Alan,” Monica said softly. “You were always with us in spirit, even if you never had a badge to welcome you into the AU. You will continue to stay with us in our hearts and memories.”

Al and Nat began loading soil into the grave, covering Alan slowly. Monica had to admit, while the occasion was indeed sad, she didn’t feel ready to cry. Alan had been arrogant, irritating and unapproachable, but there was something in Monica’s heart that made sure she missed Alan’s presence. She knew nobody felt the same.

The gravestone was light gray, with the following inscribed on it beneath a small flame:
    .:Alan Michael:.
    Let your spirit soar always

“Hold on a second,” Al said, stopping. “What’s that?”

He was referring to a golden light shining from Alan’s chest. Monica’s heart suddenly leapt – was it an AU badge? Al leapt down into the hole and checked his pocket. Monica’s mind was racing…Alan had killed himself in vain…

“Is it an AU badge?” Monica cried uncontrollably. She anticipated Al’s response.

“….No,” he said eventually. “It’s a business card. ‘Pyrites, the Soul Adept:
    Come to me to heal the darkness in your heart
    ’”

He looked up at Monica. Neither knew what to think.

The four had stayed indoors for the past two days, thinking over possible hypotheses relating to the information they now had.

“When Alan attacked, he mentioned the darkness in his heart,” Nat said firmly, having been thinking and dwelling on this the most in the group. “My guess is that this…Pyrites person is some kind of conman…or woman.”

“It’s really diverse,” Monica noted. “But we need to find out who Pyrites is…”

Al, who had broken his leg while fighting the four brothers, went towards a somewhat mysterious end of the large city alongside Tekaru to meet a healer. Healer’s were a very special type of Adept who could heal wounds with ease. There was a man who was known as a healer by many Adepts. This man lived in Saffron City, so Tekaru accompanied Al towards finding him.

Meanwhile, Monica and Nat decided to try and train up some more. Monica was level 9, and her class was upgraded to Ghost Mage. Nat, who was also level 9, was still a Quaker. Her class change would occur at level 10, but she had not been to a Gym for a long time.

“We must find you one,” Monica said excitedly. “I wonder what class you’ll become.”

“I have no idea,” Nat said softly. As they wandered the streets of Saffron together, Nat’s attention was drawn to a nearby newspaper stand. A banner across the top illustrated the headline:

‘PHANTOM PYRITES STRIKES AGAIN’

“Pyrites!” Nat cried. “There!”

“What?” Monica asked, turning and seeing the headline. “Oh my god!”

Buying a copy of the newspaper, Monica and Nat sat themselves down on the nearest bench and eagerly scanned the article:

PHANTOM PYRITES STRIKES AGAIN: FIVE HOSPITALISED

Five more people have been found in Saffron City following attacks from the mysterious ‘Pyrites’. This odd person has been leaving people in mental states of irreparable damage. One man looks as if he shall never even use the full capacity of his brain again, while generally the other victims seem mentally perturbed.

Simon Ovens, 44 from the city, found one of the victims in an alleyway on Thursday night. “It was a horrible sight,” he told
    The Saffron City Guardian today. “He was jibbering away about the darkness inside of him, and how sinful he was. It was like he had been hypnotized, or brainwashed or something.”

The man behind it is, as of yet, unknown. No victims are in the correct state to actually give a description of their adversary yet. The Chief of Police had this to say:

‘We currently have no leads, except that the name of this…perpetrator…is Pyrites. It is a name of one of the elements, meaning ‘Fool’s Gold’. Whether his name is any reflection on what his motives are is still a mystery. For now, we urge anybody with information to contact the Police, and general public to be on the lookout.’

“What do you make of that?” Nat asked Monica.

“Well I don’t know,” she said slowly. “But this looks bigger than anything we would have thought.”

“Oh, isn’t it just terrible?” said a kind voice behind them. Turning around swiftly, Monica and Nat were faced by a motherly-looking woman. She wore red, orange and brown clothes, looking loose with fitting. “Excuse me, my name is Martha. Martha Michael”

Both Monica and Nat gasped.

“I’m looking for my son, Alan,” she said kindly. “He was teleported away from home some months ago, and we’ve only just tracked him down.”

“R-Really…how awful,” Monica winced.

“Why, hold on a second,” Martha said politely. “I remember you two! You were from the AU, weren’t you? Alan got teleported here with you, didn’t he?”

Neither responded, feeling almost threatened by this ferociously kind woman.

“Could you tell me where he is?”

Meanwhile, far, far away from Saffron City, a familiar character wandered across a wooded area. The surrounding space dotted with sharp, proud trees, the man did wander with a certain sense of being, as he was heading to the ancient civilization just ahead.

“I’m here,” he croaked suddenly, parting the darkness and emerging into the light. The man had long, silvery hair which spanned in a manner of directions. Thick bolts of his sleek hair shot down either side of his smooth, handsome face. His chocolate brown eyes looked, for the first in a long time, surprisingly hollow and empty. His white, grey and silvery shirt was a tone darker than his hair, and his dark brown trousers were somewhat lighter than the colour of his thick brown boots. This man was Phoenix.

Phoenix was a Storm Angel – to date, this was the highest class of electric and weather adeptry. He was on a mission to find out who he was. A few months ago, he faced who he thought was his rival, Dimitri, believing he had the power to kill this manic person. It turned out that he was wrong, and the link between his family and Dimitri’s was still shrouded in mystery.

While looking this entire process up, Phoenix realised something. He was, to his knowledge, a Storm Angel who had inherited ghost adeptry from his father. This wasn’t true; Phoenix could well use telepathy, and mind techniques on his foes, but he didn’t have any ghost adeptry in him. The techniques he had, as well as other mysterious forces he had decided to keep to himself were something else.

And so, to help understand the connection between himself and Dimitri, as well as who he was, Phoenix went to seek his father, Tohweid. Hearing that his father used to live in Gritzwald, the ancient city stuck in the past, Phoenix made his way there to get information.

However, as Phoenix arrived at the main gates to the city, a small, fiery demon was jumping up and down. It was a spirit, composed of fire adeptry and standing at two foot tall.

“What is that?” Phoenix asked, looking and seeing many more sweeping through the air. They were all red. Like this one. With intricate bronze decorative markings, it looked sort of sacred…

It leapt up high and smashed into Phoenix, alarming the young man and pushing him back. Retaliating straight away, Phoenix held his palm forward and sent a brilliant bolt of lightening bursting from the surface of skin. The bolt gave a long crackle as it pierced the surface of the small fire spirit. A small pop followed, sending a shower of embers into the air and exterminating the creature.

“Curious,” he said slowly, realizing what just happened. “The creature was composed entirely of fire adeptry…”

He cleared his throat.

“SHOW YOURSELVES!”

There was no answer. Phoenix thought hard…someone had to have controlled that spirit, for it had no brain of its own to do what it wished. As Phoenix took another step into the city, he felt a sharp, piercing pain streak into his head. It was like an extreme headache, and Phoenix had never felt such pain before.

Entering the city precariously, Phoenix wondered if he was not wanted at all.

Unfortunately for the young Phoenix, the city he had spent a lot of time visiting as a child was much different. Many large houses and buildings had been attacked by fiery attacks, demolishing some areas. It looked like a large wreck. After gathering information from the locals, Phoenix learned that the city had a low population and, to his horror, the Library was destroyed. He had been hoping to find some clue to his Father’s whereabouts from the sources in his old hometown, but it looked slim now.

“Hey, you look strong,” remarked a young boy. Phoenix turned and looked down to see a boy dressed in raggy clothes. He had fair hair and a glitter of hope in his dark eyes. “Who’re you?”

“I’m Phoenix,” he replied gently. “What is your name?”

“Harley,” the boy replied. “Have you just arrived in Gritzwald?”

“Yes, I have,” Phoenix began. “What has happened?”

“It’s because of Thorrus,” Harley replied bitterly. “A few months ago, this strong guy named Thorrus arrived in a large golden chariot, pulled by magnificent black horses. He said he was a Shamanic Adept, and demanded all our riches. The Mayor of Gritzwald didn’t let him manipulate the city like this, and Thorrus struck.”

“Tell me more,” Phoenix asked desperately.

“He slaughtered our Mayor and other villagers – my grandfather perished. He created creatures from various elements, like lightening or rock, and had them attack the city. He fled towards the graveyard to set up living quarters there. Ever since then, he’s made demands of us…and whenever adepts take him on, they get killed.”

“How horrible,” Phoenix said bitterly, staring towards the large ridge which was the graveyard. It watched over the now crumbling ruins of the once impressive city with blatant superiority. The Graveyard used to be a Gym, belonging to a Ghost Adept who gave you a badge if you escaped the Graveyard alive. Monica and Lee both earned badges there, back when they were young, weaker adepts.

“What level are you, Phoenix?” Harley asked innocently. Phoenix averted the young boy’s eyes.

“I’ll tell you one thing,” he said intriguingly. “I’m strong enough to duel this Shamanic Adept. Lead me to the gates of the Graveyard, Harley, and I’ll go and defeat him.”

“No!” Harley cried. “He’s too strong!”

Phoenix realised the young boy’s faith was weakened. He had to impress him and help in whatever way he could. Throwing his arms down to his sides, Phoenix charged up the energy inside of him. Squeezing his shoulder muscles, two fluffy white eagle wings formed from his shoulder blades and unfolded spectacularly. A long, sky blue staff with a round pearl on the top also materialized in Phoenix’s hand.

“Oh my god!” Harley cried. “You’re an angel!”

“I’m not,” Phoenix corrected Harley with a smirk. “I’m just a lost soul. I’m going to find Thorrus and defeat him.”

With that, Phoenix gave two long, sweeping flaps of his wings and rose into the air. Enjoying the look on Harley’s face, Phoenix swept through the old remnants of the destroyed city towards the graveyard.

Meanwhile, a figure watched from the shadows.

“He needs to see clearly,” he said hoarsely. “I hope Thorrus tests him adequately.”

Monica and Nat had, luckily, given Mrs Michael an excuse that they had fallen out with Alan when they arrived in Saffron City, and that he was traveling with new friends towards his home. Monica couldn’t explain to herself why she had lied to Mrs Michael, but it just felt as if a lie made them both happier than the truth ever would. Mrs Michael thanked Monica and headed off, albeit bitter.

“A whole day and no traces of Pyrites AT ALL!” Nat sighed.

“He acts under the cover of darkness, remember?” Monica reminded her friend. “Maybe we should look for him now?”

“Wait until Al and Tekaru get back,” Nat said angrily.

“Nat…” Monica began, seeming to place her words down carefully. “Why is this so important to you? Alan and you never got on…”

“He died for an unjust cause,” Nat said bitterly. “He was…manipulated towards his death. Ok, so he sacrificed himself to save us, and if he hadn’t we might not have been here today…but still…nobody deserves to end life like that. Sacrifices are bold, courageous things to do, only when you intend to.”

“Do you think Pyrites may have brainwashed Alan so he would save us?” questioned Monica.

“Well it is possible,” Nat said. “I did think perhaps Pyrites was just a codename from an AU member…like Phoenix, for example.”

“Hey, good thinking!” Monica cried. “He did follow me to Perlei to help rescue you…maybe he’s helping us again?”

“It is possible,” Nat said vaguely. “But we need to locate this guy. Why would Pyrites kill others?”

As Nat mused over this, realizing her theory was crumbling apart in her hands, Al and Tekaru walked in the door. Al began shaking his leg frantically, showing it was healed completely.

“We’re back!” He cried.

“Al’s all better now,” Tekaru declared.

“We’ve been discussing this ‘Pyrites’ character,” Monica explained. “We’re not sure what his motives are but, well, we intend to go and search for him.”

“Good idea,” Al said. “He might be hard to find, though…”

“Worse was the arrival of Alan’s mother to Saffron City,” Nat told them grittily.

“WHAT?” Al roared.

“Alan’s…mother?” Tekaru asked.

“We gave her an excuse that we haven’t seen Alan for months, and that he’d gone traveling with some new friends.”

“Why?” Al asked weakly.

“I…well…it just seemed right,” Monica said firmly.

“So you could get her out of the way?” Al asked her. “That’s pathetic.”

“Don’t speak to me like that!” Monica cried.

“Then don’t act like you deserve to be spoken to like that,” Al snapped. “C’mon.”

The four left the flat together, Monica locking up. They made their way out the apartment block and onto the streets of Saffron City, keeping their weapons away until they were needed. A secluded hush fell over the large city as funnels of smoke puffed up from the industrial buildings. In the north, there was the industrial clank, clank of machinery. A hard, bitter edge resided in the city, but from a not-so-distant alleyway, one figure watched them with intrigue.

“Target sighted,” he said jovially, with a strong British accent. “Alan’s old rival Natasha…I shall make short work of her.”

And with that, he slipped on a single silk glove over a smooth, manicured hand. Blood stains had dried and crusted over his right glove, turning a deep maroon colour in some places. He slipped out of the alleyway and into the street.

“Excuse me! Excuse me!” came a bright voice. Monica turned to see a suave looking man pacing towards them. He had a smooth, fresh white shirt over his chest, with a tight, thin, powdery purple suit over that. His cuffs from his shirt stuck out in cone-like shapes, and his thin, brown hair was styled down in a curve over one of his eyes. He wore black trousers and smart silver buckle shoes. He looked very smart. His eyes sparkled with something…something inciting.

“Can I help you?” Monica asked firmly.

“Yes…yes, I was wondering…” the man said softly. “I seem to have lost one of my gloves…have you seen it?”

“A white glove…silk…” Monica said as she examined it carefully. The man held his hand out, but as she stared, he swung his hand up in a chop and hit Monica in the jaw. She stumbled back in pain, screwing her eyes shut as Al, Nat and Tekaru got their weapons out. The man opened his arms wide, in greeting, sending large particles of golden powder sweeping at them. Upon contact, the powder popped and banged, sending a cloud of golden smoke around the group.

“What’s going on?” Al coughed. The man leapt high and appeared behind the group. He summoned a small staff, perhaps 40cm in length, coloured a sleek black.

“You have crossed paths with Pyrites!” the man smirked.

You?” Monica spluttered. Nat summoned her blade, but when the cloud of golden dust cleared, Pyrites was nowhere to be seen. He pointed his weapon like a gun and sent a large screaming blast of red energy at them. It smashed into Tekaru and sent a red shock all over his system.

“I can’t move!” he cried. “I can’t move!”

“Shooting star!” Pyrites cried happily. As he waved his little wand over his head, sparkles of silver danced in the sky. Giving a loud roar, a larger, silver star rocketed down upon the group. It smashed into the ground and exploded, sending the four in a variety of directions.

“You bastard!” Monica snapped. “Why did you drive Alan to suicide?”

“Me?” Pyrites asked. He laughed briefly. “Alan opened his HEART to me; he told me every little secret he longed to tell. Ever since he was transported to this place, he felt lonely, and sad. You have no idea how depressed Alan was. When he came to me, I helped him through his problems – we got him a new sword, a new outfit, and a new attitude towards life.”

“What about all that ‘darkness in your heart’ stuff?” Nat asked angrily. “You brainwa-

“I did no such thing,” he replied curtly. “Everybody has darkness in their heart. It is the way of this wicked world. Society has formed into a devouring monster just waiting to take a bite out of your innocent soul. I have tried sustaining the perfect balance, and believe that I can help others around me. Take criticisms, for they are the only hint at how to create perfect unity with oneself. I tell people what is wrong with their life, tell them the darkness in their heart, and help them.”

“Most of your victims are brain-dead!” Nat retorted. “You’re a sick freak, Pyrites!”

“I am no such person!” Pyrites said angrily. “But I’ll tell you one thing. Alan may have been ridden with jealousy, but there was something far worse in his body.”

Knowing he had the four’s full attention, the mysterious man went on.

“He despised you; Nat. Alan hated every cell in your body. He wanted revenge on you for giving such a hard time, just for being himself. He can’t do that, and I’m taking it upon myself to personally hunt you down and kill you.”

“Don’t you dare!” Al shouted.

“You’ll have to get thro-

Monica was interrupted when Nat burst through her and Al, drawing her sword from a diagonal sheath strapped to her back. She paced towards Pyrites angrily.

“You wanna try and kill me?” she asked musingly. “Go ahead.”

Pyrites conjured up an orb of energy. It flashed magical colours of red, orange, yellow and so on through the spectrum. Nat watched it precariously, not knowing what to expect from such an odd Adept. However, as she glared at the orb, the colours swirled in almost hypnotic patterns. Pyrites chuckled.

“What adeptry is he using?” Al asked Monica.

“No idea,” Monica replied dully. “Watch out, Nat!”

It was too late. As Nat stood, mesmerized, Pyrites hurled the orb at her face. It exploded in a shower of brilliant, illuminating sparks. Nat was thrown through the air and landed on her back. Her blade sunk into the ground a few meters away. Tekaru went to retrieve it.

“Nat! Are you ok?” asked Monica, bending down to check her friend.

“I’m fine…” Nat said surprisingly. She thanked Tekaru after he handed her the sword that was hers. She ran at Pyrites, angry and bearing her sword, but the man disappeared and re-appeared in mid air. He soared down and delivered a double kick to Nat’s face. Landing, he turned swiftly and sent a flurry of silver stars shooting at his foe. Nat slashed them away.

“Sonique!” she bellowed. Slashing her sword horizontally, a silver streak of energy flew at Pyrites. He let the attack, this time; simply hit him in the stomach. Although he gave a groan and shuffled back a little bit, he showed no signs of damage.

“What is he doing?” Nat asked, as Pyrites threw a ball into the air. It exploded, and a flock of doves soared out majestically. As they flew, sparkles of white shimmered from them and they eventually turned to black crows. They sharply turned and rained down upon Nat.

“Hey!” she cried, slashing at the birds. They were evading her moves and pecking her while she swung the other way. Not settling for this, the other three released their weapons – the scepter, the blade and the hammer, and attacked Pyrites.

“Don’t cheat!” he cried happily. “IMPRISON!”

Throwing three objects violently, Pyrites sealed the other three up. Stickers slapped onto their foreheads, mysteriously immobilizing them and preventing them from defending Nat.

“Stop this!” Monica cried. “Nat, get out of here! You could get hurt!”

“I’m fine, ok?” Nat snapped, leaping high to evade a thin beam of golden energy.

“Anger clouds your thinking!” Pyrites mentioned, throwing his hand down and sending a streaming ball of red energy. It hit Nat and exploded, throwing her to the ground again. Wearily, she got up. The numerous explosions were hurting.

“Give it up!” Monica cried desperately.

“NO! Stop telling me how to do this, Monica!” Nat roared. Pyrites held his odd wand forward and released a series of round proximity mines. They floated eerily through the air, circling Nat and making bleeping noises.

“Listen to your friend…” Pyrites said softly. “DETONATE!”

A series of long bangs issued. Nat screamed as her sword was thrown up in the air. Flying back from the huge explosion, Nat had a smoky face and looked beaten. She gave a weak cry and collapsed.

“NAT!” Monica screamed. “She looks seriously hurt!”

“But we can’t save her!” Tekaru noted. “We can’t move!”

“Hands of Justice!” Pyrites said manically, releasing energy into a building. A pair of clock hands formed on the side of the building, ticking down approximately ten minutes. “When the hands of justice reach 0…a flurry of those Mine Balls will throw themselves at her from the sky!”

He turned to leave.

“I’ll be watching you,” he told the group stealthily. “If she doesn’t die, I’ll be back.”

Meanwhile, in Evayard, Roger and his Sons were exchanging words regarding the events in Saffron. Lady Teresa was softly sleeping in another end of the castle, which was good. Roger had much to discuss.

“So let me…summarize the whole situation,” he said thickly, running a finger across his bristly moustache and pacing the large chamber they were in. The four sons were in a line, facing Roger as he surveyed the scene. “Tekaru is actually [i]in[/u] the AU?”

“Yes, Father,” Karadon said firmly.

“So that means,” Luke continued importantly. “That whoever gives out the AU badges has seen Tekaru’s cause and acknowledged it.”

“That’s right,” Roger said painfully, wishing this was not true. He stopped for a second, dusting dirt from one of his golden shoulder pads. The dirt fell past his regal blue outfit and to his feet, one of which stood over the dust and trod it into the stone floor.

“What are you going to do, Father?” Karadon asked.

“I do not know,” Roger sighed. “Sending Tekaru away was a mistake – I should have maintained a hold on him.”

“We can go back there, finish the job,” Scott pointed out.

“He’ll be on his way now,” Roger explained. “There is no point.”

“That damn Alan ruined everything!” Scott snapped viciously.

“He’s dead now,” Luke admitted. “That’s him out of the way.”

“Quiet!” Roger barked suddenly, turning and facing a thick tapestry on the wall. “We must meet Tekaru and his friends. Not here, in case Teresa catches on. No. I have a better plan. We’ll give them some time, you know, to train themselves up, and then I’ll let you loose on them. For now, though, I want Therebus and Luke to make your way to the Library on the fourth floor of the castle. Research as much as you can about…well, you know what I mean. As for you two, I want you to try and get a map of Perlei for me. You know why.”

Karadon and Scott nodded and disappeared rather soon after Therebus and Luke. Roger turned to the tapestry.

“Keep up the good work,” came a strangled, choked voice.

Meanwhile, in Lavender Town, Mrs Michael sat in a tent with a ghostly looking woman. The woman was feeling an orb on the table.

“Yes…” she said softly. “Yes…your son…”

“Where is he?” Martha barked. “Tell me!”

“He is…” the lady said softly. She jerked suddenly and cleared her throat. “Mrs Michael, your son Alan is…dead.”

Martha showed no signs of shock or surprise.

“He died in Saffron City, and he is buried there,” the lady went on.

“I could almost tell,” she said airily. “Tell that he was dead.”

She began pacing the room.

“And I can tell that Monica lied to me,” she continued. “Lied to me about my son’s death!”

She turned and ripped open the curtain.

“That Monica will feel my wrath,” she growled. “She has never fought a grieved mother before, and once I learn of everything, I will sort her out!”

.:.Next Chapter.:.
    -When a deal becomes broken, trust often follows
    -Don't watch another so long you stop looking at yourself
    -The path to Evayard...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Junior Trainer

Ha, gotta make a good first impression in MV by replying first to the new chapter, having MV to look forward to makes a big difference when i'm on the net!

Yes, that was a good chapter, i especially liked Pyrites and his freaky magician-like appearance, what age is he roughly? And why would Alan trust should a strange person? And why would Pyrites, a relatively new acquaintance of Alan, want to help Alan get revenge on Nat? And why am i being hit with endless questions? Ahhhhhh!! h:

Alan's mother is on the warpath, and so would I if I was her. Monica didn't need to lie, and now she's in a whole load of doo-dah with Mrs. Michael. I wonder what kind of adeptry she has, and how powerful she is?

Who is Roger talking to? His former wife? Scary. I'm beginning to warm to the four brothers (yeah weird i know). I think it's important that they all have unique characteristics, and that they aren't simply copies of each other, all thinking in the same mindframe and saying the same thing. Working on their individual personalities is something i'm very much looking forward to.

Nat really has changed - she's so angry and becoming independent to the point that she's splitting from the group, as seen when she rebuked Monica's advice. However she always seems to be on someone's death list. . .

Something i think you should work on (i hate saying these things, it makes me look like a moaner - its constructive criticism) is cutting down on all those adverbs in passages of speech. When you have someone talking they always seem to say something softly, or airily, or grittily etc.
    Something useful i found out a long time ago is that these adverbs are unnecessary and actually take away from the flow of reading. I mean, on occasion they work, but it doesn't need to be told to us that Nat spoke angrily as she questioned Pyrites, we assume this by the context. Focus more on getting the wording of the characters right - a simple "Monica said" or "said Al" is usually enough after that, as the reader focuses on what the character is saying, and not the adverbs (or whatever) between the speech quotations. Do you understand? I'll try to re-word better it if you want me to again.

********SUPER IMPORTANT EDIT*****************

It's finally happened! Just like Dragonfree, I too have had a dream about Monica and the gang!

It was so cool, i was in this huge building, and i was a new type of adept called a Thermal Adept. It's really cool because I never thought up this type of adept before. I was wearing a full-length overcoat which was dark red and/or brown. Anyways, i was on my own in a corner of the building, and i was looking out the window at another part of the building jutting out from the main area. All of a sudden i could just "sense" that there was someone in that part of the building (apparently due to the thermal heat waves i could sense in that proximity, i was like a heat sensor), and i raced to that area to find out who was there.
    I was on guard as i walked underneath a staircase on my search, and both me and Nat (woo hoo, it's Nat! In my dream!!) managed to stop ourselves attacking each other as we came face to face! There was some kind of guy sitting under the staircase holding a book, and Nat and I knew him (we had to protect him i think). He chanted some mumbo-jumbo and three fist-sized teddies appeared (i think they were enchanted or something). We heard disturbances upstairs, and Nat picked up the guy that was sitting down and dragged him up the stairs. I followed holding the book and enchanted teddies.
    Upstairs there were three small rooms, and i entered the first, and saw Monica fighting two assassins - one coloured green and the other one coloured some other colour (cant remember). Basically there was an assassin for every person (for example a green assassin with quaker adeptry for Nat, a red one with fire/thermal adeptry for me, etc.) and they were after the guy we had met downstairs. I left Monica's room and passed Al in the corridor (i presume it was him anyways). I went into the third room and there was a portal opened up in there, and our job was to get the assassins into that portal. One of the assassins came into the room and tried to attack the teddy-guy, and as i defended the teddy-guy i woke up. . .

Now wasn't that just the coolest dream ever? This Thermal Adept that I was, the only power I used was my heat sensor ability to detect people in the area, perhaps he has Fire powers as well? And that guy we were protecting with the enchanted teddies, weird huh? Lol. Well tell me what you think of the dream anyways!

* Chapter 1 Up! *

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

CHAPTER 4 ON PREVIOUS PAGE. THE BELOW POST CONTAINS SPOILERS:

Oakbark: Yea, I use adverbs way too much, I've noticed that myself. But if its a problem...

With the brothers, I made sure they debuted with differing personalities. There was no real build on that in Chapter 4 because it was a general conversation. You may have seen how Karadon is portrayed as a more dominant person; Scott seems to be a violent order taking person; Luke is strong but seems to be less agitated than his brother Scott, and Therebus is a soft spoken individual with control over himself. The four don't stay together all the time, and this allows me to help build on them seperately. And yes, they DO get character development ^^

Pyrites is youngish. I'd say he's slightly younger than Phoenix. As for Mrs Michael, she's a Flame something. A strong female class! Alan had fire adeptry and so does Martha.

As for Roger....hmm, I shan't say!

Nat is different. I wonder if she's going to be ok?

Ps: cool dream! Dragonfree's dream, remember, plays a part in the fic at some point, but I won't say when! I want a Monica dream ;_;

Oh yea...some good news for you guys! I'm starting to learn how to draw Manga, which means I'll be working on drawings of the Monica fics! I don't have a scanner yet but when I do any I'll somehow get them up here!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Junior Trainer

Woo hoo! I tried learning manga, but i just don't get the time to practise! I cannot wait to see your pictures!!!

Yes, i realise that the brothers haven't had much character development yet, but that's perfectly natural until the fic gets underway in the next few chapters.

Yes Nat is changing - i wonder if that will affect her relationship with Monica and the group? If only Lee would make contact with her and they patch things up. . . .

Lol must be tough having a cool fic and hearing how others have dreamt about it! That dream was sooo cool!!!

Are you using any specific websites o help with your manga drawing? PM me with some good ones if you can, i might give it another shot. . .

Gotta stop writing these monster replies! Bye.

Damien.

* Chapter 1 Up! *

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I wonder where everyone is?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Junior Trainer

Yeah it's been 5 days and i'm the only replier. . . .and this has been a very enlightening chapter!

If there are any closet readers out there - reply!!!

* Chapter 1 Up! *

Banned

Default !

I'm here, don't worry, I'm not gone! last weekend i only remembered to check for a new chapter at about 9:00 pm and by that time my parents made me get off since it was late and the next day was a school day. (I'm not sure if you remember this, but I'm allowed to play videogames or go on the internet only on the weekends).

anyway, Monica lies to Alan's Mom! *GASP!* and about his death, too! *GASPIO!* Why? we do not know. Even Monica doesn't know. But no time for that now, because we have Pyrites to deal with!

A soul adept, huh? sounds interesting, especially with the Magician like appearance he has for himself. He acts very oddly, and, as OakBark said, why would he be so taken up with Alan's cause? His powers are very interesting, and seem to be based on the magician theme, which seems almost contrary to is title of soul adept. In the end he has them in a ten-minute trap, and then a cliff hanger! dang it! We can only speculate until next chapter, I suppose. We know they'll get out of it, though, since the good guys always do... right?

Phoenix continues his quest for identity, but finds his destination under seige by some Thorrus guy. Phoenix seems confident, but we know that often leads to a beat down. But who knows?... And we can tell there's something more going on from the shadowy figure on the side. But what?

Rodgers plan seems to be to arrogantly give the AU time to train, and then go on an all out attack. We don't know what he's trying to research, though. I'm pretty sure it's either some sort of secret weapon OR some law that would give him total control of Evayard.

Then, at the end, Mrs. Michael finds out the truth from a fortune teller. Far from being crushed, however, she vows revenge. Thus begins (one of) the Vendetta this story is named for. As far as I can tell the other one is between Tekaru's family and Rodger and his sons. I don't know what may come of Mrs. Michael's grudge, but I'm sure it's going to be bigger than just a little thing on the side.

on a side not on Alan Michael's name: Alan-Michael, together, is my hyphenated first name. I guess it was rather convenient to split it into a first and last one so as to avoid having to make up a last name. Great idea!

Oakbark's Dream was an interesting. Thermal Adepts sound interesting, and could have a whole set of subtle, different powers seperate from Flame Wariors. heh heh, the teddy bears were funny.

I'll see all of you guys later. bye!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ultra: Hey stranger!

I think out of the 4, Monica was the only one truly touched by Alan's suicide. Al, Nat or Tekaru could break it to Martha, but I think Monica found it hard, and thus managed to lie about it. Evidently, it wasn't bought, and Martha has gotten the wrong end of the stick. Oh dear.

Pyrites is a character I really liked the idea of. The whole soul thing comes from the Darkness in your Heart he claims to see in some people, which is built on in the near future. His whimsical pops and bangs are rather odd, aren't they? As you'll learn, Pyrites has a lot to his name. Didn't Monica and Nat read that there were other victims? What would they have in common with Alan and his past? Could there be a specific thing Pyrites is aiming towards?

Hmm the shadowy figure. And Thorrus. He seems interesting. I wonder how things will turn out...

Roger, for the meantime, seems preoccupied, so I think keeping an eye on the AU for now until he can attack them is the best bet. But will Roger himself carry out the task, or will his four sons do the dirty deed? Hmm, a weapon or a law? I wonder if he's researching ways for him to abuse his status as future King?

While Martha's fued with Monica is not what initially sparks the title 'Vendetta', the fic does deal with a lot of conflicts; some between a mother and her son, Teresa and Tekaru, as well as inner conflicts in oneself like Alan. Group conflicts like possible ones between the brothers, and even ones between cities is something we will touch on. But the big Vendetta is later. A big vendetta of gigantic proportions.

N E W S ! ! !

The new Monica's Vendetta competition is underway!

You have the chance to have a BIG say in Monica's Vendetta.

The first prize is the chance to create your own town, city, village or settlement in Evayard, which the group will visit during the fanfic. The second prize is the chance to create your own species of Adept. Not a character, but a type of adept to be introduced during the course of the fic.

And to enter and stand a chance, it is simple!

"Please state in no more than 25 words why you would like to win this competition."

Thanks! Entries will be collected in about a Months time.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

I'm here, sorry I'm so late... @_@

Anyway, the chapter was interesting. Naturally, I loved Phoenix's part; Alan's mother getting involved is also interesting and so was the scene where the brothers were talking to Roger. I'm liking Pyrites, too... I'm hoping he gets involved more.

Are we supposed to post our entries in the competition?

Morphic

Mire

Must catch up! I have the tendency to forget everything important, which is a cockeyed sort of compliment to this work. Sorry for the lateness, reply to two chapters, yay!

I have to admit that I was surprised when you killed off Alan, so soon? Must get more development of his background. Might have been able to predict had I payed a little attention to the title. I have to say I wasn't hugely a fan of him, but still interesting to see him go (notice I didn't say sad, lol). I'm curious as to how the energy from the supposedly "evil" brothers could have purified him, are they more innocent bystanders than you're revealing? Does that mean Roger is less evil than it seems (I hope he really is raising that army of ravenous frogs, lol)? Especially with that voice from the tapestry... isn't it common for henchman to die? XD

Tekaru seems all well and dandy but I wouldn't be too surprised should he be an evil manipulative kind of guy. Did I notice a slight bit of Monica/Tekaru admiration in chapter three? Is there love triangles in the future (teasing)?

I like Nat's new personality side now with the ruthlessness, can you make her evil too? I like evil a little too much I think. Go evil! I'll settle for her kicking butt and taking names. Course with her current situation she won't be doing much of that...

Monica the liar, problem there. I hope she gets what's coming to her for that, bad, bad, Monica. At least she was grieving though, I'm glad she missed him. I'd like to see a duel between her and Martha personally though, just for fun.

I like Pyrites, even though he's kind of evil, lol. I want to hear more about his background. Go pops and bangs! It'd be surprising to see Nat get blown up, but like Ultra mentioned the good guys to usually win... I like tragic endings. XD

Phoenix's duel with Thorrus should be interesting; will he blindly rush into battle as usual? I hope you don't kill of Thorrus right away (distant cheering of "THOR-US! THOR-US" can be heard).

I liked Oak's dream, must become dedicated enough to get one of those, lol. The teddy bear guy was very curious, you should use it for the contest, that or the thermal adept. Both were cool.

I need to go prepare that contest entry now (doubting I'll win, people in here are more creative than I, actually everyone probably).

As a final note, can't wait for chapter five and the big vendetta namesake later (I don't get to have a nice long post when everyone asks questions before me, XD).

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dragonfree: PM me your entry. Oakbark did, so you might as well too ^^

Hmm yea Phoenix's part was something I thought you'd all like. The Forgotten Hero's debut in Vendetta. Naturally his subplot does get very interesting, even in the next installment. Martha's appearence was, in actuality, very spontaneous. I fancied having a freakishly weird relative looking for him, and since Revolution was full of brothers, sisters and the like, I thought his mother would stir things up

Oh and Pyrites turns into a big character!

Mire: Oh just so you know, Alan's past is sort of reflected upon slightly. Just so you know the full picture. I didn't want it appearing so random. Hmm well the Darkness in Alan's Heart wasn't necessarily lifted BY the attack...can you think of any other ways?

Hmm could Tekaru be leading Monica to Roger, Ray style? Hmm. I haven't got such writers block that I reuse plot ideas so soon (the exact thing happened in Revolution...) But as for Love Triangle: think Love Hexagon!

Also: I don't do requests to 'evil up' characters ^^. I can't and won't say if anyone turns evil because that's just not fair!

To be honest, a lot of people have wondered why Monica is a leader. And it's because of her strong compassion - one reason, anyway. When Alan was an egotistical jerkoff, Monica could see a good side to him, and trusted him. In Revolution, Ray deemed this quality weak, but I think it's a strong factor.

There IS more on Pyrites, don't worry! Also, the Phoenix/Thorru duel is.....it's worth reading, put it that way No spoilers yet!

And please enter the contest. Everyone has an equal chance of winning, just think of what you want to say and make a good impression!

And yes, I'll see you in Chapter 5 ^^

Guys! I'm drawing up the Perlei map. Horray!?! Previews for some new Evayardian species of animals, as well as future locations and a general outline!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Mire

Oh did I sound requestish when I said Nat should turn evil? Whoops, XD. It was meant as a joke really. Thanks for clarifying to pm the contest entries to you, and about the Alan I see I need to read more closely... lol. Hoorah for more Pyrites, and for love hexagons, lol. Oh, and a cheer for the map and other stuff.