Thread: Shinies!

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Default Shinies!

So I was wondering, how experienced with shinnies are you? How many have you met so far? How many have you gotten through the pokeradar in D/P/P?

Yesterday I tried pokeradar in platinum for the first time and got a shiny skitty. I was pretty shocked at how easy it was, since I only saw 2 other shiny pokemon in my life.
    First one was a purple mudkip from Emerald. But I was a stupid small kid and thought the game was glitched and after about the 3rd gym I restarted. The second one was a Buizel, hell did I love that guy! I named him Soak, luckily this time I knew about shinnies and kept him for about ...3-4 years?
    SO recently I learned about ev-training and for some stupid reason restarted all my games, losing all my progress.

Also got any tips on training a Delcatty? I know this doesn`t belong here, but if you have any ideas...
    I know delcatty isn`t the best, but she`s a Jolly nature with 31 ivs in both defense and sp. defense
    I was thinking 252 in HP and Speed, with Thunder Wave and Heal bell. Not sure about the other.
    Last edited by EraGam; 21st June 2012 at 09:02 AM.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: Shinies!

Red Gyarados.

...Yes. That's ALL I've ever seen.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hmm... let's see... excluding the Blue Ditto you could get with the Red Gyarados, Pokeradar shinies (Shinx, Aron and Skarmory), GTS traded shinies, and any other shiny I didn't get from normal hunting... my list is...

1-Shiny Meowth - I caught this guy twice in the same area in Pokemon Silver (Route 38 I believe) on two different walkthroughs. I left it like that in my first one and I duplicate it in the second one to have a shiny Persian (yeah, Persian does not count on this one).

2-Shiny Rattata - After a frustrating night on my third Silver playthrough (coincidentally because s shiny Hoothoot appeared as I walked for the first time to Mr. Pokemon's house), I popped up Pokemon Gold and make a boring move to try and hunt for a shiny in the same area. To my surprise, s shiny silver Rattata appeared in the grass. That made my frustrated mood disappear. ^_^

3-Shiny Lunatone - I was hunting in Pokemon Sapphire for two weeks for a shiny Bagon when this guy appeared. It was pretty cool since it was my first shiny in Sapphire so it became a part of my team.

4-Shiny Zigzagoon - Nah, this one isn't from the promotion. I was training before taking on the rainy route to Fortree city (I think I wanted my pokemon at level 30 before proceeding) when this little fellow appeared. It wasn't too hard to catch, hehehe.

5-Ah, and a shiny Golbat I got in the same cave where I caught Lunatone just about three months later.

And I think those are all which I have encountered and caught. I was unsuccessful in catching a shiny Graveler in Diamond for obvious reasons (Self-Destruct).

That's pretty much my list so far. I want to get more, but I currently don't have any console or game to hunt for Pokemon, hehehe.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well a couple of weeks ago, in surprisingly short order, I caught a Shiny Gloom and a Shiny Donphan in HeartGold. The game also threw me a Shiny Raticate VERY shortly after the Donphan (the same day!), but I passed on that (it may have been Shiny, but it was still only just a Raticate, not to mention you have that "Top percentile" idiot in the game again to annoy you). Have yet to see one in SS aside from the Red Gyarados. I do also have the Shiny Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, but I'm guessing for this convo they don't count.

I also have a Shiny Pichu in Platinum (not the event one, this was random). I've never gotten a Shiny off that damn Radar (hell, I barely got normal things I was looking for with it).

And I'm guessing using the Red Gyarados to get a Shiny Ditto is an old Gen 2 bug, right? It can't be that easy to do now.

Cloyster Moderator

Actually, more of a Gen 1 bug. As I remember it, in Gen 2, shinyness was based on IVs, and in Gen 1, if you allowed a wild Ditto to transform into one of your pokemon, it would copy that pokemon's IVs. It's pretty easy to see how this could be exploited to get a shiny Ditto easily with any shiny pokemon. The Red Gyarados traded to Gen 1 was just the easiest to start off with. Also, IIRC, because the IVs of the parents influenced the IVs of their children, if you bred a shiny, that increased the chance of the child being shiny, so shiny Ditto + any other Pokemon = better chance of a shiny version that pokemon's baby.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Due to the shiny ditto glitch I bred a lot of shiny Pokemon in Silver; breeding with a shiny ditto gave you a 1/64 chance of a shiny offspring. I had a shiny Rattata, Hitmonchan, Squirtle and Psyduck.

In Sapphire I found a shiny Electrike, too.

No shinies in Gen IV or V! But from the sounds of things there are plenty of in-game shines in B/W2 (Gible, Haxorus for example).

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

It's like Rossy, but more! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Gen II, shiny Gyarados. Gen IV, shiny Natu hatched from an Egg.
    That's it. Didn't even realise Natu was shiny until I evolved it.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

B/W2 has a lot of oddball stuff. Not only are there the Shiny Gible and Haxorus, there's a fair amount of stuff in-game with Dream World abilities. It's going to be an interesting ride for sure.

Also in B/W2, a new item called the Shining Charm (at least, in japanese it is, dunno what its english name will be). When held, your odds of encountering a Shiny are greatly increased. The downside? The pre-requisite to get the Shining Charm is something only nutballs like me will pull off. To get this wonderful item, you must complete the National Dex. Yep, you've really got to earn your Shinies (Charm or not) in B/W2

EDIT: Okay, apparently all you have to do is have the entire National Dex as seen, not owned. Still pretty daunting task, though.
    Last edited by Pokemaster Ash; 25th June 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Did I read it improves your chances of encountering a shiny by 33%?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

The way serebii has it worded is incredibly awkward. The Shining Charm increases your chances of encountering a Shiny to 1 in 2370~ instead of the usual rate, or actually triple the normal rate (I guess 33% of whatever denominator the usual Shiny rate is in Gen 5, since it got reduced from previous gens). This apparently also works on breeding, and if using the Masuda Method it becomes 1 in 1024 chance of getting a Shiny hatch.

But yeah, awesome as this is, it takes work to get. Entire National Dex seen? Doable, but at that point you've probably come close to actually completing the National Dex. And it seems to be a Key Item (unlike previous reports), so no fudging around with trades or anything.

Does it look like I care? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well let me think I have a
    1) Shiny Buneary-I was playing a nuzlocke and it was my first encounter in Eterna Forest.
    2) Red Gyardos-Caught it in both silver and Heartgold
    ya thats about it

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker
    Adventure, another Pokemon Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a shit.