Thread: Help me to create a Tabletop RPG

Hybrid View

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Help me to create a Tabletop RPG

I know mods may want to move this topic between Tabletop and Other Games, Fanfic and Fanart, even RPG, but I'll post this here first.

The Quest for Sätky

A legend tells about a mighty item called Sätky, which could provide the user a limitless power over the entire Planet, that's also called Suomi. 4000 years ago a sorceress named Louhi is believed to have gathered all but one of seven pieces of Sätky, but she fell of her own power and a huge meteorite hit her.

Although this story could teach the item in question is a dangerous weapon, or perhaps just because of it, at times there apperar factors in Suomi who intent to collect all the pieces of Sätky. Nobody actually knows what Sätky would look like in the end. Many times it's described as a sword, but many claim it's not a weapon at all, but an instrument, such as a viisikielinen kantele.

It's year 4000 after the destruction of Louhi and Syämmä is governed with an iron fist by Woshen, which has brought electricity and computers to the world in a short time, providing the citizents with an easy life. But all the electricity is produced in Reactors, the true purpose of which Woshen actually hides. The resistance claims that Reactors are actually meant to artificially manufacture the parts of Sätky. Indeed, Woshen and Sätky together could together bring a devastation to entire Suomi.

To cover this Woshen has proclaimed that, after 4000 years of sleep, Louhi is coming back and several innocent people, including the young main characters of this tale, Lina and Aru have been prisoned. Lina is said to be a descendant of Louhi and Aru tried to prevent arresting her. There's also more to this, actually Aru loves Lina very much but Lina isn't answering to his feelings.

Woshen soldiers have attached Lina's waist and Aru's neck Belts controlled by computers. If one tires to remove that kind of Belt or step out of the region of Etelä-Syämmä wearing them they will blow up.

So this is the main plot I'll use for a tabletop RPG I'm creating. I have already developed a battle system with lots of different abilities, magic spells and attacks involving five different elements, a world map, also the characters get experience from random battles decided by 8-sided dice and I'm going to create smaller area maps for each smaller location, those being towns, dungeons, mountains and similar.

Now where do you my friends come in? Well I'm bad at inventing names for things so if you love naming things I would much appreciate your help. The only guideline for names is that they can mainly be based on English, Chinese, Japanese and Finnish. I point you to the best Finnish dictionary there is, www.sanakirja.org. If you want to know Finnish for certain word, ask me or type that there in the field. When using that site, make sure the first field reads 'Englanti' and the second 'Suomi' so you won't get lost.

All these names appearing in the story are open for change, I have only explained the etymology of my own productions here.

WORD - Meaning - Etymology

SÄTKY - The powerful item to rule over the Planet in the story - A pun of 'Sampo', a desired machine in the Finnish National Epic Kalevala plus 'jytky', a word used by the politician Timo Soini to descibe the big number of votes his party got in an election. Sätky can also be translated as 'shock'. Yes, this is a terrible word for the most important item in the story and I want you to come up with a better one.

SUOMI - The Planet, Earth - The Finnish word for Finland. Because this world is loosely based on the geography of Finland, I want the entire planet to be called with this word. I know it may sound stupid, but this is one of the few names I don't want to change.

LOUHI - A mysterious sorceress appearing in a legend - The antagonist in Kalevala, I'd like to keep this name as well. Her part in the story may be a surprise eventually.

VIISKIELINEN KANTELE - A traditional Finnish instrument.

SYÄMMÄ - The sourhern part and the one with most population of the main continent of Suomi - Sydän (syän in some dialects) is Finnish for heart and maa is Finnish for land.

WOSHEN - An electronics company ruling Finland with an iron fist - From Chinese words for 'I' and 'God'.

LINA - The female protagonist of the story, a witch - Pun for 'liina', Finnish for cloth or 'linna', Finnish for castle.

ARU - The male protagonist of the story, a swordsman, also Lina's lover - Ari is a Finnish boy's name.

I have other names too:

HELLSINKI - Helsinki - The capital city of Finland, also the prison where the game begins is located in this town

SANKO - Hanko, The southernmost point of Syämmä, Aru and Lina are planning to take a ship from there to escape from the continent. - Sanko is Finnish for bucket.

FIS - The third main character of the story, has a ship but wants Aru and Lina to bring a specific item from a cave in exchange of it - A word for a note.

KANAKA - Another town in Southern Syämmä. Kanaka Town is located near Kanaka cave complex - 'Kana' is Finnish for hen and 'naka' is Japanese for middle.

VETELÄ - An island south from Syämmä - Etelä is Finnish for south, but vetelä is slack.

HAMEENLINNA - Hämeenlinna - The main hideout town of the resistance, Hame is Finnish for skirt, but Häme is a place name.

I'll tell you more about the game in this thread, and hope you show interest in this story by replying here.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: Help me to create a Tabletop RPG

You said you needed help with names, but it looks like you have a great handle on it! I can't think of better names than those, seriously. My faves are SYÄMMÄ and how you named the world after the finnish word for Finland, nice touch I also like how no one knows what form the weapon will take. BTW, what does that finnish instrument look like?

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

Thank you so much for encouraging me, Asilynne! Viisikielinen kantele, or viisikielinen kannel, looks like this:

Here is the world map, too.

And the main female character of the game, Lina. She has a magic wand as her weapon, and in a battle, she either just brandishes it or she may draw magical figures on ground with it.

The destroyer of worlds Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Pretty good naming convention you have. Haven't seen anyone using Finnish names before. Not exactly crash hot at naming things, but I can help in other ways if you need it. Characters, monsters, etc.
    I'm in your dimensions, screwing with your reality!

Thanks for the comments, Mystic_clown! I'll see if I need help with characters and monsters.

I finally got some inspiration to translate the game rules I made from Finnish to English. The Ability/Limit Break List may also come soon up. Feel free to comment if there are any major or minor flaws in the system. Also syntax is something to pay attention on.

QUEST FOR SÄTKY - RULES

1) In the game, you throw from 1 to 8 8-sided dice. The basic damage is the sum of those numbers, but may also be the product in higher levels. Also some other formulas are used for some Attacks, Abilities and Limits.

e.g. 2 + 6 = 8

Or 3 x 5 x 2 = 30

2) Every character has one or more Limit Break, used when HP < 25%

e.g. 25/100 , 15/60 , 2/10 , 1/5

3) Every time when the player's character meets an opponent, the one to attack first is decided by dice.

4) The player's character with the smallest number meets first the opponent with the smallest number, then the player's character with the highest number meets the opponent with highest number, then the second smallest numbers meet, then the second highest and so on.

5)

Some characters have Elements. Weaknesses, Strengths and Absorbings described above.

e.g.

a) TREE absorbs WATER (gets HP from WATER)
    b) FIRE is strong against METAL (damage from METAL is halved)
    c) FIRE is weak against WATER (damage from WATER is doubled)
    d) METAL is strong against METAL (damage from METAL is halved)

6) Always when the outcome of a calculation isn't an integer, it's rounded. 0.5 becomes 1.

Here's not all, I may invent more. Again, feel free to suggest corrections.

ABILITY/LIMIT ALPHABETICAL INDEX

Ability Block
    Prevent your opponent from using its Abilities during the next 5 turns.

Absorb
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the sum of two dice.

All
    Use your Abilities and Limits on all your own or your opponent's characters during the next 5 turns.

Antidote
    Cure a character from Poison or Venom.

Attack Block
    Prevent your opponent from using its regular Attack during the next 5 turns.

Aura
    Choose a character who uses only its Limits during the next 5 turns.

Berserk
    Choose a character who uses only its Attack during the next 5 turns.

Blizzard
    A damage doubled on both Fire and Tree with 6 dice.

Call Naiper
    Summons two small creatures named Naiper. Naipers have number 0 so they always meet the opponent first.

Comet
    Cast dice 8 times and multiply the outcome of each throw by 5 deciding yourself which enemies are hit.

Confusion
    The target has to cast an extra throw of dice each turn. If an odd number, the move successes, if an even number, the character hits itself with its regular Attack. Unless the outcome is 8, when the character snaps out of the Confuison.

Counter
    An attribute which makes the character automatically strike back with its regular Attack when hit by Attack or Ability.

Cure
    Cure the character of your own choice by throwing 3 dice.

Defend
    The character Defends itself next turn so that nothing can hit it.

Delete Element
    You can Delete the element of the character of your own choice for the next 5 turns. Some character's Elements cannot be deleted.

Dispel
    Remove Aura, Ditto, Double, Protect, Reflect, Regen, Triple form a character.

Ditto
    Copy the opponent's Ability for your own use.

Double
    Choose a character who can use its Abillity twice a turn during the next five turns.

Drain
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the throw of one die.

Earth
    Earth Elemental Damage with three dice.

Eruption
    Fire Elemental Damage with a base power of 50 HP. Cannot be absorbed or halved.

Esuna
    Cure any Block, Berserk, Confusion, Neper, Poison, Venom.

Exp-10-Damage
    Do an unbelieveable Damage with one die. The Damage is 10 to the power of the number shown by the die, e.g. 10^4 = 10, 000.

Exp-Damage
    Throw one die two times and do an exponential Damage e.g. 2^3 = 8.

Explosion
    The character explodes and does 50 damage on its opponent.

Falling Tree
    Tree Elemental Damage with a base power of 50 HP. Can't be absorbed or halved.

Fire
    Fire Elemental Damage with three dice.

Flood
    Water Elemental Damage with a base power of 50 HP. Can't be absorbed or halved.

Force Ditto
    Enforce the opponent use Ditto to a character of your own choice.

Full-Cure
    Cure a character of your own choice to its full HP.

Giga Drain
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the product of six dice.

Heal Block
    Prevents using Antidote or Esuna on a character during 5 next turns.

Ice
    A damage doubled on both Fire and Tree with 3 dice.

Kilo Drain
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the product of two dice.

Lightning
    A damage doubled on both Water and Tree with 3 dice.

Liquid Steel
    Metal Elemental Damage with a base power of 50 HP. Can't be absorbed or halved.

Limit Block
    Prevent your opponent from using its Limit during the next 5 turns

Mega Drain
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the product of four dice.

Metal
    Metal Elemental Damage with three dice.

Meteor
    Comet
    Cast dice 8 times deciding yourself which enemies are hit.

Neper
    The Target gets an illness named Neper and during the next 5 turns, it will do damage equal to the Natural Logarithm of the normal outcome of the Attack, Ability or Limit.

Poison
    Poison the opponent so that he will lose 5% of its HP each turn.

Protect
    Protected character will receive any Damage halved.

Quake
    Earth Elemental Damage with a base power of 50 HP. Can't be absorbed or halved.

Reflect
    The character of your own choice reflects Abilitis targeted at it during the next 5 turns.

Regen
    The character of your choice recovers its HP by 20% during each turn.

Resurrect
    Resurrects a dead character to 25% of its HP.

Revive
    Revives a dead character to its full HP.

Sacrifice
    Sacrifice two of your own characters to Revive one dead one.

Summon
    Call a Summon monster.

Take Down
    Makes a flying opponent to fall down doind Damage with 3 dice.

Tera Drain
    Draw HP from your opponent based on the product of eight dice.

Thunder Storm
    A damage doubled on both Water and Tree with 6 dice.

Tree
    Tree Elemental Damage with three dice.

Triple
    Choose a character who can use its Abillity three times a turn during the next five turns.

Ultima
    A Damage equal to 40% of max HP + throw 3 dice targetted on up to 4 characters. Cannot be reflected or halved.

Venom
    Poison the opponent so that he will lose 10% of its HP each turn.

VenoShock
    Do 10 HP Damage on your opponet, or 25 HP if he's poisoned.

VenoShock Random
    Do Damage on your opponent with 2 dice, or 4 dice if he's poisoned.

Water
    Water Elemental Damage with three dice.