Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: Darkly)

Jump, little Snorlax, jump! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Happy We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: Darkly)

I accept your Gym challenge!

Quietly tucked away in the club district of some unspecified Norwegian city, Combat Disco has rapidly become the new face of the local nightlife. The establishment primarily consists of one rather massive dance floor with pulsating strobe lights. Numerous tables and chairs are clustered near the walls and a bar replete with all sorts of libations sits in the corner. This dance-battle fusion club is known for its eclectic repertoire of music—here, everything from cozy little acoustic ditties to explosive heavy metal outbursts to old-school video game melodies can be heard nightly. Curiously enough, the music tends to have an impact on the dancers.

Every time a Pokemon on the field faints, the type of music changes and brings about a new effect. Though this music is of adequate volume, rest assured that it will never be so loud as to drown out sound moves used by the battlers. Additionally, even if your Pokemon has the Soundproof ability or is battling with their fingers in their ears or is attempting to destroy our indestructible speakers, it doesn’t matter: no Pokemon can avoid hearing the music no matter what. After all, you can’t stop the beat!

Once the music ends, the accompanying effect will fully and completely come to an end as well. The following is a list of the various genres played at Combat Disco and their attendant effects:

‡ Category O ‡

Top 40: This style of music always plays from the beginning of the match until the first Pokemon faints; it possesses no additional effect
    Reggae: This style of music always plays after four Pokemon have reached 0 HP; after the next Pokemon is released but before commands are issued, the Gym Leader and then the challenger will openly declare one move known by the opposing Pokemon for it to “forget” for the duration of this effect

‡ Category A ‡

Easy Listening: Both Pokemon may only use one damage-dealing super effective move per round
    Punk: The first Pokemon (ie. top row or lefthand column of the reffing template) receives +4 Att/+4 Def and the second receives +4 SpA/+4 SpD
    Emo: Every action there’s a 20% chance a Pokemon will disobey its trainer’s orders and use Fake Tears instead (the Pokemon will manage to use Fake Tears regardless of whatever other status effects are in play, including but not limited to Sleep or Taunt, or even if they can’t actually learn Fake Tears)
    Screamo: Both Pokemon come under the effects of Torment until the music ends
    Rap: Both Pokemon come under the effects of Taunt until the music ends
    Tribal: An irreplaceable weather effect that negates any other existing/future weather effects occurs

‡ Category B ‡

Oldies: Attacks are either increased or decreased in power depending on the Generation of their introduction:
    Generation I: +5 HP | Generation II: +3 HP | Generation III: +/- 0 HP | Generation IV: -3 HP | Generation V: -5 HP
    Dubstep: Attacks are either decreased or increased in power depending on the Generation of their introduction:
    Generation I: -5 HP | Generation II: -3 HP | Generation III: +/- 0 HP | Generation IV: +3 HP | Generation V: +5 HP
    Country: Both Pokemon may only use moves with names that are nine characters or less (including spaces and punctuation)
    Chiptunes: Both Pokemon can only use moves they or their previous evolution learn by TM/HM

‡ Category C ‡

Heavy Metal: Both Pokemon have their ability changed to Heavy Metal
    Rock: Both Pokemon have their type changed to Rock
    Polka: Both Pokemon have their ability changed randomly at the end of every round
    Folk: Both Pokemon become typeless

‡ Category D ‡

Classical: In addition to their regular movepool, both Pokemon may use any move learnable by Kricketune

The choice of music, determined by the referee DJ, is not completely random. There is a 40% chance the genre of music played will be selected from Category A, a 30% chance it will be selected from Category B, a 25% chance it will be selected from Category C and a 5% chance it will be selected from Category D. The DJ should bear this in mind while selecting music. As well, the DJ is reminded to inform the battlers what the change in music will be before the change actually takes effect.

Since Combat Disco is a disability-friendly Gym, should either battler send out a Pokemon that requires water in order to fight, a section of the dance floor will retract to reveal a pool large enough to comfortably contain a Wailord. Because the pool is located under the dance floor, patrons are reminded that Digging is not in their best interests. Furthermore, should any weather effects come into play, part of the roof will automatically pull back and open up the club interior to the sky.

Those who successfully defeat Combat Disco's Gym Leader will receive the Glitter Ball Badge as well as the house TM, Teeter Dance, which is currently used by Snore Warrior, La Polla Loca, La Princess, Flower, King Thrashypants and Puff. It may be taught to any single Pokemon with legs that has competed in the Gym challenge.
    This will be a 3 on 3. No banned moves. I'll lead with...

Snore Warrior, my male Snorlax with Immunity! He knows Teeter Dance, Hammer Arm and Taunt.

You release and command.
    Last edited by Oslo; 19th July 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Layout Madman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: ???

Alright, since a lot of my Pokémon are unevolved, and it depends on the ref if basic Pokémon stand a chance against evolved ones, I'll have to wait for a ref first before deciding, sorry for the additional waiting period! (:
    Avatar drawn by the wonderful Cynder in reference to this! Go check her other art out! ^-^

Master Trainer

Default Re: We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: ???

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    it depends on the ref if basic Pokémon stand a chance against evolved ones
    Out of curiosity, how so?

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

God damn, this Gym is never FREE :/

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Master Trainer

This is you offering to ref, right? :3 Right? Riiiiiight?

Veteran Trainer

Nu. I'm too slow nowadays.

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Out of curiosity, how so?
    Well, some refs give evolutions a raise in damage, like +3 or something, when they fight against a non-evolved basic Pokémon if you mean that. I have enough full evolved ones, but if I'm able to take basics, without having too much of a disadvantage, I'd use them then too (;
    Avatar drawn by the wonderful Cynder in reference to this! Go check her other art out! ^-^

Veteran Trainer

I'll ref. Will be slow in the beginning.
    Will try to get the first round up today

Entertaining quotes!

Does it look like I care? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Sorry guys I would have reffed but RL has been getting in the way so much recently and I was already real slow at reffing before. Maybe your next gym battle I'll ref! ^-^

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker
    Adventure, another Pokemon Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a shit.

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Well, some refs give evolutions a raise in damage, like +3 or something, when they fight against a non-evolved basic Pokémon if you mean that.
    I don't think anyone here does that?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    I'll ref. Will be slow in the beginning.
    Will try to get the first round up today
    Take your time! Thanks!

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    I don't think anyone here does that?
    I'm going to assume he means that some refs in other ASB forums do that?

Veteran Trainer

Default Re: We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: Dar

Yeah. ive seen that plenty a time.
    makes for a challenge. but im too lazy to ref like that

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

Default Re: We can dance! We can dance! Everybody look at your hands! Oslo vs. Puma (ref: Dar

Yar, so I was letting him know it's not something he currently has to worry about here.

Advanced Trainer

Good then! Let the battle commence!
    Frisbee, it's your time to shine! (Ferroseed, Female, @Iron Barbs)

I shall demolish every try to outmaneuver my attacks by creating a bazillion subs! Gnahaha! (And no, I'm not nervous at all!)

It's your first battle, and this Snorlax is not going easy on you, so give us your best!
    Let's go for some nasty stalling if nothing unusual happens. Start things with a leech seed, and follow up with Thunderwave. Afterwards, use ingrain to make sure we are getting a bit of health back every round.

In case he tries to burn us with any fire attack, go for double team on the first one used. Counter any status infliction, except for burn, with Protect, but only once, as well as only on the second round, as the thunderwave isn't as important as the rest!

If he decides to protect on any of my moves, or Safeguard them away, use Curse for Protect (but only if you ref it like in the games, otherwise, go for Iron Defense), or Mirror Shot for Safeguard, if the original move is not possible anymore.
    I think that's it.

[ Leech Seed ~ Thunderwave ~ Ingrain ]
    Sub: First fire move => Double Team
    Sub: Status infliction on second turn: Protect
    Sub: Protect at any time => Curse (If reffed like in the games, if not, Iron Defense)
    Sub: Safeguard that hinders move => Mirror Shot instead

Let's get rolling Oslo, eh?

Master Trainer

Throw in a quick Taunt and follow with Block and Fire Blast.

Veteran Trainer

Gym Battle: Take 7

===Stipulations===

3 on 3 (one out at a time)
    You choose first
    I attack first
    DQ: 1 week
    Arena: Combat Disco

===Battlers===

Oslo

Snore Warrior~Immunity~M
    [ I I I I I I I I I I ] 100
    MT: Teeter Dance==Hammer Arm==Taunt.
    Taunt~Block~Fire Blast
    Uhh me first?
    VS
    Puma

Frisbee~Iron Barbs~F
    Leech Seed~Thunderwave~Ingrain
    I'm spiny like a dragonfruit!

Top 40 hits:

===Round 1===

"And so I dropped the beat, and the place went nuts."

..."i know right?!?! And then he BIT HIS FACE! So crazy! Oh ok I'll call you back, I gotta ref now. ..Yeah I know, Combat Disco, so 2013 January :/"

Ok. so HERE WE ARE at the revolutionary Combat Disco arena. The crowds are filling in to dance the night away, and the jams are pumping. It's only fitting that Puma is already here, non-alkie beverage in hand, with lil Frisbee ready to start.

Oh, and here come the reigning champ, Oslo himself, with big ol Warrior by his si- oh lord its STARTIN the match? Let me set up the antiskip module...

So Snore immediately points to Friz, and raises one hefty hand up, before bringing it back to his own rump and swatting it. It moves like jello @_@. Friz stares for a moment, and then spins around in place. RUDE!

SW: -2E ~~~ Fr: Tnt

Well, that was a swift power shift. Frisbee huffs in place and decides to give that big lummox what for. He came out here to have fun! He didn't come to get sonned! He came out here to get lucky! And stepping on a barbed animal is unlucky. But Warrior wasn't gonna have it. Instead of falling for it, Snore just cast a strong spell on Frisbee, further limiting any options it may have had.

SW: -4E ~~~ Fr: >o!

Still pissed, Frisbee threw itself at Sore, and struck its knee. I don't really think Snor has knees though, its just that fleshy part where those medallion sized feet don't quite connect to that overly rotund body.

But, it was enough for Snore to notice, look down...and help Friz realize..

that tonight, he was kinda unlucky. Fire Blast to the face.

SW: -10E ~~~ Fr: -40H

No need to be mad anymore!

===End Stats===

Oslo

Last edited by DarkestLight; 19th September 2013 at 08:58 AM.

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

Good work, Snorrior. Let's begin with the biggest Substitute possible and follow with Focus Blast and then Ice Beam.

Sub: Shock Wave teh clonez.

Advanced Trainer

40 HP damage? Holy shit. How the hell did I forget about taunt. Ah, whatever, the Substitute will annoy me as well.

Let's go for a tripple flash cannon. If his substitute happens to break down in the process and you are not taunted anymore, throw a quick leech seed in.
    Last edited by Puma; 23rd July 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Veteran Trainer

Yeah. Remember Puma, there are no DC's in Gym Battles, so in theorymon, you can get wiped out pretty quickly if you aren't paying close enough attention. (I'm also the high damage ref, so it makes for interesting and swift decisive battles.)

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer

Yeah, I was just surprised because of the damage, since most refs I know do like 1,5 for super effective, and 2x for quadruple. But it's fine like that! It sucks that I forgot about Taunt though, that pretty much screwed the whole battle over for me :'D Whatever.

Advanced Trainer

Oh yeah, one thing. As I didn't know you are not allowed to edit your moves if noone saw it yet, (which noone did), you might want to change my commands to toxic instead of leech seed if he isn't taunted. I noticed that Snorlax had immunity just when I hit send.

The fights pretty much screwed over for Frisbee anyway, so that's not a big change, really.

Veteran Trainer

Can't cover everything. Where's the fun in that?

===Stipulations===

You choose first
    I attack first

===Battlers===

Top 40 hits: ...Hrm, not a fan but yeah

===Round 2===

Frisbee has probably seen better days. But she's ok, right? Shaking off the torrential flood of firey shivers, the metal grasser reasserts her dominance and tries to blast Warrior down a notch.

What is Warrior doing anyway--hey whoa, put that confetti back, that's for the airguns! Eww he's licking all of it and making a crude Substitute out paper mache :/. A Snorlax pinata if you will. Complete with missing legs as Fris literally blew them off just now!

SW: -10E/-25H Sub: 15H ~~~ Fr: -7E

A second Flash Cannon was in order. Lining up the shot wasn't hard, it was the onset of a sphere of Warrior's own creation that poised the problem. The pair charged up respectively, but Warror let his off first. That gave Fris enough time to directly aim hers at the ball. The resulting explosion caused by the twin energy blasts caused rippling effect damage to both constituents.

SW: -10E Sub: 8H ~~~ Fr: 7E/-8H

That sub was really making life miserable for Frisbee. But she continued on! She charged up a third one, as Snore idly waddled over and held his hand out above Fris. A Beam of Ice came streaking down, as Fris shot a final sphere of justice at the confettisub. It exploded into a million glittery pieces that got everywhere!

SW: -8E Sub: Boom ~~~ Fr: -7E/-10H

Least the sub was gone. And she wasn't taunted for that whole round!

===End Stats===

Puma

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer

Oh god! I just realized how grumpy I sounded. Sorry, I didn't mean to. I am having fun, after all I wanted a battle with Oslo for a long time. Will post my commands tomorrow.

Advanced Trainer

Okay, let's continue this! I have faith in you little bugger. Let's start things off with RNG hacks, and go for Mirror Shot, follow up with Giga Drain and Flash Cannon, to see how much the Giga Drain does.
    A few subs as well, if he doesn't use taunt or blocks the use of leech seed in any way, go for Leech Seed instead of Flash Cannon, also, if your health is getting critically low (~15%) go for Explosion! Take this Snorlax with you! (Or at least a little bit of it's health, that's fine too. )

Again, sorry for me sounding pissed off, I was certainly not! (okay maybe a lil bit) A gym battle should be a hard challenge, and I'm happy it is one! (:

Master Trainer

It's okay to get occasionally miffed by stuff. You have a really good attitude overall so no worries.

Okay, Snore! Take the Leech Seed and then use Flamethrower. Then I will quickly return you and send out RE/MAX, my male Drifblim with Aftermath. His tutor moves are... wtf, no tutor moves? I should fix that.

RE/MAX, seedie's health should be low enough for that Explosion sub to be triggered, so just float there looking pretty. If Explosion isn't used and he's still kicking around, end with Air Cutter.

Veteran Trainer

===Stipulations===

You choose first
    I attack first

===Battlers===

Top 40 hits:

===Round 3===

Snore seems to have the upper hand in this match. So much so that he allows the Mirror Shot to hit his rotund form. Friz doesn't take any chances, using all its power to send that sphere hurtling at the chubster.

The effect was like a Flash Bang, forcing Snorlax backwards. But Warrior opened up a series of flames in retaliation. But the fires miss Frisbee, as it rolls backwards.

SW: -8E/-7H -Acc ~~~ Fr: -5E

Fris tried to keep the momentum going-and since nothing hit him just yet, he was still raring to go! He opted to try a suction technique on Snore, but Snore was blanketed in red for a moment. In a flash, he was gone and in his place came a floating orb of brilliance. The red was exchanged for green for a moment, and RE could only wonder just what was going on.

Re: -6H ~~~ Fr: -8E/+3H

Friz stared at the newcomer and decided to continue with the health suction. A few seeds flew out and latched onto Re//Max, and that forced a spinning slash in retaliation. But Friz seemed to deal with that just well enough. (-/+1)

Re: -5E ~~~ Fr: -3E/-7H

===End Stats===

Snore: 65/48

Oslo

Last edited by DarkestLight; 29th July 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Resistances...

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

lol well

(Also, how much would Giga Drain have done if RE/MAX didn't resist Grass?)

WELL, that was sort of a bust. I misread and thought his first move was supposed to be Leech Seed. Anyway, I switch back to Snore!

Snore, Flamethrower this bastard into oblivion. Protect if he asplodes.

Veteran Trainer

Yeah, I read your post and laughed mad hard

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer

Oh, well, overread something once again, whooops. Thanks for the kind of notification DL.

Well done Frisbee, you pretty much did more than I've expected from you, and this is amazing! As the fire blast did 40 damage before, I'm pretty sure a single Flamethrower won't knock us out. So, Frisbee, here's the plan. His switching should consume an action, so throw a Thunderwave in, hopefully not failing. Afterwards, Protect against the first Flamethrower, and start spiking the entire dance floor! I have a Plan! (Or start the spiking, as you'll probably not manage to spike the entire thing in one go.)

[Thunderwave ~ Protect ~ Spikes]

Veteran Trainer

===Stipulations===

You choose first
    I attack first

===Battlers===

Top 40 hits: The Robin Thicke song

===Round 4===

Well now. That was worthless. In a flash, there goes RE/MAX, and the original dancer takes to the floor. It's a bittersweet moment, as Warrior takes is first steps, and realizes that the little green seed is still around. The little green speed is also spitting electric currents at him. He..HEY, aww nope. Paralyzed.

SW: o.O Par ~~~ Fr: -3E

Feeling a bit cocky, Friz rolls a little closer to the now incapacitated Snore, and watches as it tries to move. Oh nope. Not going anywhere!

SW: *par* ~~~ Fr: o.o

The scent of fire came to Friz's senses, and up went the shield! This being the first Flamethrower of the day, needed to be locked. Snore put alot into that flame, but the shield held.

SW: -8E ~~~ Fr: -9E

Seed's not doing too bad.

===End Stats===

re: 93/95

Puma

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer

Oh gawd! Someone tell me I'm stupid and forgot about posting!

As we have Parahax now, I think we might actually pull something annoying off! Start things out with a Giga Drain, follow up with Mirror Shot and another Giga Drain.
    And now, with putting nasty status into Subs, I'm confident they will work out! eventually
    If he ever happens to be paralyzed, and you are not taunted, go for a quick Leech Seed first, if para hax get him twice, try another Spike!
    Protect on the first fire attack again as well, except he doesn't move of course.

[Giga Drain ~ Mirror Shot ~ Giga Drain]
    Sub: Snorlax paralyzed, Ferroseed not taunted: Leech Seed first, if paralyzed again, Spike.
    Sub: Protect on first fire attack

Master Trainer

Focus Blast ~ Superpower ~ Focus Blast

Veteran Trainer

===Stipulations===

You choose first
    I attack first

===Battlers===

Top 40 hits: Selena Gomez: Come and Get it

===Round 5===

Strange. Frisbee is not only surviving but it's actually putting up one heck of a fight. Even as Snore gets some balance back and starts off with a massive wealth of energy to throw at the small seed-Frisbee manages to continue draining Warrior's life force! How long can the seed hold on!

SW: -10E/-11H ~~~ Fr: -7E/-24H/+5H

Snore wants to just step on the seed, but he knows that might hurt. So he goes for the next best thing. He slams his fists right on top of it. Yeah sure, the prickly pear shaped object stung, but that felt gratifying. (-2)

SW: -10E ~~~ Fr: -20H

===End Stats===

Puma release

The next music is...Easy Listening!

Last edited by DarkestLight; 3rd August 2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Why is Grass not resistant to Fighting like my brain says!?

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

Darklyyy, idk for sure I think you forgot to add the super effective modifier for Focus Blast and Superpower?

Advanced Trainer

Damn it! Just when I thought this could work out!
    But for real now, I though Grass was resistent to Fighting as well. Probably because of my Venusaur in Firered, where it took me like, ages to realize it's part poison as well :'D

Whatever, I'm going to fight fire with fire.
    Explousion, to the field! (♀ Exploud, @Soundproof)

Master Trainer

Okay, Snore! Use Relax followed by Focus Blast followed by Thunderbolt.

Advanced Trainer

Low Kick him while he's relaxing, that should deal tons of damage, Protect against the focus blast, and finish him with making an uproar!

And let's hope for parahax! If he's paralyzed while you intend to protect, go for a work up.

Veteran Trainer

===Stipulations===

You choose first
    I attack first

===Battlers===

Easy Listening #1: Just relax

===Round 6===

Snore takes a seat on the dance floor as he watches the Exploud come on out. Interesting, to say the least- a creature that rivaled the speakers in the club.

Not that it mattered, it was now a good moment to grab a drink or go to the bathroom. The floor cleared out a bit, and even Oslo left to get a drink. Funny, cause as he was at the bar, Explousion just ran up and kicked the bigger Normal type right in his ass! DAMN! Snore fell back and lied there, wincing. Man, that was low!

SW: -18H ~~~ Ex: -5E

As the beat played on, Snore slowly lolled to his feet again, and welled up a blast to try and put Ex in its place. But the blast went awry, and slammed into a wall, catching everyone's attention. That flash from earlier might still be grating with his mind. Ex didn't care he was protecting himself no matter what.

SW: -10E ~~~ Ex: -10E

Snore shook his head, maybe that Low kick messed him up a bit. Oslo came back to the battle, sipping on a drink, just as his massive Pokemon crackled a bit. It looked like paralysis, but Exploud saw that chubby feet move independantly. So he began to scream, needing to pump himself up with all this slow music. But the shock came when his shouting was interrupted by a Thunderbolt to the mouth!

Snore wasn't even close to being done.

SW: -8E/-10H ~~~ Ex: -5E/-10H

===End Stats===

Puma

Entertaining quotes!

Advanced Trainer

Brick Break ~ Strength ~ Hyper Voice
    If he comes close to fainting (~12%) use Smelling Salt once instead.

Protect against the first fighting type move as well.

Master Trainer

Okay, let's see if I can pull this off better this time...

Snore, return! RE/MAX, you're up! Use Toxic followed by Thunder Wave!