Thread: Interesting thing I've found...

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Interesting thing I've found...

I've been breeding things in Black 2 lately and I've noticed the good ol' RNG isn't as random as it should be with abilities (at least, when circumstances are such that they should be a 50/50 draw, like when using Ditto). It seems like, at least for the first egg you try to hatch, the game seems to favor one ability over the other (subsequent eggs will be back to random chance, at least if you're continuing to breed the same things). I'm guessing this is a glitch of some sort, but I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned before. At least it doesn't hurt anything (kinda helpful when the game is "stuck" on an ability you want, not so much when it's the ability you don't want).

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Default Re: Interesting thing I've found...

I bred a lot of Dratinis with the wrong ability in White 2, but that's just how chance works. The randomizer in Pokemon has never been perfect, but even if it were perfectly balanced, you would still get streaks of several Pokemon with the same ability. If it were always one and one, then it wouldn't be random.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well, unless you were trying for their hidden ability, Dratini only has one (Shed Skin).

And I know the randomizer can sometimes go on a streak, but I think there is an actual problem with it since if I'm trying to breed one egg at a time (using the cheap way of breeding: save before dropping the Pokémon off at Day Care and if I don't get what I want, reset and try again without wasting money), that egg always has the same ability. If I get multiple eggs at a time, that first egg still always has the same ability, the subsequent ones are random like they should be.

If the randomizer actually IS still working properly, then the game must just be getting back at me for how they changed Everstone's mechanics (since the randomizer in Black and White seemed to love ignoring it when I tried to breed things in those games, and now that it can't, it's apparently found some other way to screw me).

EDIT: Now I KNOW the RNG is broken. Trying to breed a male Lombre and a female Lotad in W2 (the Lotad has the ability I want (Rain Dish), but I want a male). I keep getting Swift Swim (which in this situation should only have a 20% chance of appearing, with Rain Dish having an 80% chance of passing in this scenario). This HAS to be a bug of some kind now...
    Last edited by Pokemaster Ash; 19th March 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post
    I bred a lot of Dratinis with the wrong ability in White 2, but that's just how chance works. The randomizer in Pokemon has never been perfect, but even if it were perfectly balanced, you would still get streaks of several Pokemon with the same ability. If it were always one and mega moolah, then it wouldn't be random.
    How did it go?
    Last edited by poully; 30th January 2019 at 06:51 AM.

for all seasons Moderator

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SPAMBOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit