Thread: Best Moveset For A Shedinja?

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Best Moveset For A Shedinja?

So I have team Spoink all leveled up and set, so I thought i'd go for a new team, Team Ninja!

What'd be the best moveset for a 6 team of Shedninja?

EDIT: Oh yeah, Team w00p too! That'd be for a team of 6 Wooper, no evos! x] can you tell I don't take this game seriously at all and enjoy playing with a fun team?
    Last edited by Alucard; 24th December 2006 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTewart@UDE
    You're more than welcome to go to events. But you DO NOT attack the young people who play the game. It's THEIR game. Not yours. And it NEVER will be your game. So get over it.

Are we all clear on this? DO. NOT. ATTACK. THE. YOUNG. PEOPLE.

Because we (and Mr. Takahashi, and Konami, and Shueisha) like THEM more than we like YOU.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: Best Moveset For A Shedinja?

Wooper I don't know about, but because I have a hard-on for undead demon insects, I'll help you with Team Shedinja as best as I can.

First thing: Give all your Shedinjas Lum Berries. Leftovers and HP-restoring Berries are worthless on a 1 HP Pokemon, and everything else of much merit doesn't help since most other Berries require you to take damage (which Shedinja can't) before they activate. So, status-healing Lum Berries all the way.

Now, on to the team...

First thing a Ninja needs to know is the art of stealth. So, here's an evasive moveset for Shedinja:

Sand Attack
    Double Team
    Confuse Ray
    Grudge

This guy is all about dodging and enduring opposing attacks. His goal is wearing down the opponent's PP (and HP in Confuse Ray's case) as much as possible without having to resort to Grudge, which is there because it's Shedinja's signature move and could always come in handy anyway.

Second, a Ninja must know the art of decoy. Ergo, a decoy Shedinja:

Double Team
    Swords Dance
    Baton Pass
    Agility/Silver Wind

Send this guy against a harmless Pokemon, and then beef up his attack (and evasiveness and speed against a potentially dangerous opponent) to max, then switch him out for a heavyweight.

Third, a Ninja must be strong. So, a Physical tank is in order...

Hyper Beam
    Shadow Ball
    Slash
    Return/Hidden Power (Rock)

This guy's job is like that of the anime Shedinja: Mow down the enemy with Hyper Beam (or Shadow Ball if any Ghosts pop up) or, against a weaker enemy, Slash (You may have to breed for this one.) The last move I couldn't decide on, so I left it as a toss-up between Return (a less powerful Hyper Beam that doesn't need a recharge) and HP Rock (the remedy for the Flying Pokemon that are the bane of the rest of this team). Your choice.

Fourth, a Ninja must be clever, and versed in a wide array of fighting styles. That's where this guy comes in:

Shadow Ball
    Silver Wind
    Dig
    Toxic

This Shedinja is the Swiss army knife of the team - his attacks can lay waste to 9 different types of Pokemon (including 4 of the 5 types Shedinja is weak against), and his Toxic can eat away at the remaining 8. Quite handy to have around, and a likely candidate for team captain.

Fifth, a Ninja must master the art of surprise. For that matter, here is a more 'fun' Shedinja:

Snore
    Mimic
    Toxic/Swagger
    Grudge

Opponents with a fetish for moves like Hypnosis and Spore won't work on this guy, and most power attacks he can simply absorb and throw right back at the enemy! Those that he can't he can incapacitate with Toxic/Swagger (Again, I couldn't choose.), or if the opponent is immune or already afflicted, Grudge the bastard and leave him/her/it powerless.

And finally, a Ninja must know the value of teamwork - Ninjas often work alone, but they must stand together when the situation calls for it. So, I've recycled a few moves from the other 5 Ninjas and put them on this last one; this is IMO a 'standard' Shedinja moveset:

Shadow Ball
    Silver Wind
    Grudge
    Hyper Beam

Shedinja's best feature is its attack power - its speed and defense are only decent, and its HP and special stats aren't even worth bothering with. So, this Shedinja is all about hitting hard and fast, STAB'ing its enemies into submission, and of course using Grudge when the situation arises. It's just what Shedinja do.

Now, this moveset is far from perfect; in fact, it's probably the one post in this whole topic you should probably avoid entirely, but I think it works. Emphasis on 'think.' I dunno, though... Try it yourself if you want. You'll probably be surprised with the results.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Wow...six Shedinja movesets and not one has Protect or Detect. Isn't that the single most standard move for Sheddy? You open with it to find out whether the opponent has a super-effective move to use.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Shadow Ball
    Silver Wind / HP Bug
    Swords Dance
    Protect
    @Quick Claw / Lum Berry / Scope Lens

Toxic / Sleep Talk / Aerial Ace
    HP Fighting / HP Ground
    Shadow Ball
    Silver Wind
    @Choice Band

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    Wow...six Shedinja movesets and not one has Protect or Detect. Isn't that the single most standard move for Sheddy? You open with it to find out whether the opponent has a super-effective move to use.
    Normally you're right, but in this case it doesn't matter. If the foe has a super-effective attack, it's going to be super-effective against the entire team. Therefore, making a switch will only get a different Sheddy taken out. Maybe it'd be good on the first Sheddy so you can select which one you want to sacrifice, but it's hardly standard in this case.

Lum Berries aren't necessarily the only option, by the way. DaBlackBandit pointed out a few options for striking faster and fiercer. If you're concerned with evasion, you may also want to try Lax Incense (isn't that the Brightpowder of RSEFrLg?).

Stat-boosting berries will always be useless to this team, but there are other tactics depending on your priorities. And by the way, don't bother with items that boost attacks of specific types (Charcoal, Magnet, etc.), as I can't think of any situation in which those should be used besides in-game play.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Alrighty, How's this:

Slash
    Return
    Hyper Beam
    Shadow Ball
    @ Scope Lense

Agility
    Baton Pass
    Double Team
    Swords Dance
    @ ????????

Hyper Beam
    Sand Attack
    Confuse Ray
    Double Team
    @ Bright Powder

Toxic
    Mimic
    Grudge
    Swagger
    @ Lum Berry

Protect
    Silver Wind
    Shadow Ball
    Swords Dance
    @ Quick Claw

Grudge
    Silver Wind
    Hyper Beam
    Shadow Ball
    @ Choice Band

You're more than welcome to go to events. But you DO NOT attack the young people who play the game. It's THEIR game. Not yours. And it NEVER will be your game. So get over it.

Because we (and Mr. Takahashi, and Konami, and Shueisha) like THEM more than we like YOU.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Just glanced at the first one... I'm a tad too tired after Christmas for a more careful and thorough examination.

Slash
    Return
    Hyper Beam
    Shadow Ball
    @ Scope Lens

Why three Normal moves? I can sort of understand Hyper Beam as a second Normal attack, but having both Slash and Return makes little sense. Drop Return for another physical attack, since you have the Scope Lens to aid Slash. Maybe throw in an EQ (if Shedinja learns that...) or a Shadow Ball or... something. Hyper Beam can stay, but there's just no reason for Return in that set.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Veteran Trainer

Nah, Shedinja doesn't learn Earthquake. Dig, yes, but not Earthquake...

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I dunno. I'm not really into pokemon so I dunno what's good and what's not lolz~

What about Aerial Ace or Solar Beam? Or Sandstorm to annoy? Or do they suck as moves? I dunno lolz.
    Last edited by Alucard; 26th December 2006 at 02:55 PM.

Student of Activity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Nvm, you could have nominated this post for the dumbest post on TPM
    Last edited by Silencer; 26th December 2006 at 03:26 PM.

How do you deal with unexpected pregnancies?

Thread Killer Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Damnit Alu, you're so good and helpful in TCG, why can't you be like that for Pokemon

Anyways, Solarbeam is mainly used on Sunnybeamers (Sunny Day+Solarbeam), so that's a no.

Sandstorm will literally kill your entire team (since it'll affect all your Pokemon and it lasts 5 turns), so that also is a no.

I'd say stick with Shadow Ball as one of your main attacks. They all get STAB from it and with Swords Dance, it'll leave a pretty big dent on most Pokemon.

Oh and one last thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    but because I have a hard-on for undead demon insects, I'll help you with Team Shedinja as best as I can.
    Now THAT'S disturbing (moreso than me orgasming at getting a Fiend structure deck Blade )

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Chaos View Post
    Damnit Alu, you're so good and helpful in TCG, why can't you be like that for Pokemon
    Because I keep up to date with yugimons!

Sandstorm damages my Ninjas? I thought only Super Effective attacks could~? Lolz?

So just fuck the Return and throw on a Shadow Ball~?

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Shadow Ball is fine. And yeah, Sandstorm (and Hail) kills your team - you're not immune to weather effects. Nor are you immune to stauses and the like: Poison makes Sheddy cry. Only attacks that directly damage you fall under Wonder Guard's defense. Not sure about OHKO moves, but few people really use them anyway.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Chaos View Post
    Now THAT'S disturbing (moreso than me orgasming at getting a Fiend structure deck Blade )
    THAT is debatable...

Now, as for Shedinja...

Solarbeam = definitely no. Trust me, Jay, Shedinja's special stats are so bad, it's not even funny. Shedinja can learn Sunny Day, but even that doesn't make the move worthwhile.

Aerial Ace = maybe. Shedinja's got good attack, and Aerial Ace never misses. Still, I'm not really sure how useful it'd be effective-wise, so... I dunno. You make the call.

Sandstorm = definitely no. As has already been said, weather effects can kill Shedinja, and even if they couldn't, it wouldn't matter - since Sandstorm is technically a Rock attack, it would bring Shedinja down anyway.

Return = maybe. It can be almost as strong as Hyper Beam without needing a recharge, but if you have Slash and Hyper Beam already, you won't need it.

P.S. OHKO moves don't work on Shedinja.
    Last edited by Blademaster; 27th December 2006 at 02:17 AM.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

~ Jay Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

So Ninja boy can learn a move that kills itself. Konami doesn't make this game by any chance do they? Sounds and awefully lot like Yugimon x]

So drop the Return since I have 2 powerful Normal attacks and use a Shadow Ball or Dig?

P.s. Anybody thought of anything for Team w00p yet? x]

Veteran Trainer

Eh... Give me like fifteen minutes and I'll come up with some ideas for Li'l Woopy.

In the meantime, yes, ditch Return in favor of Slash and Hyper Beam, and keep Shadow Ball. The last attack can be either Dig or Silver Wind - depends if you want pure power or type coverage more on that one.

EDIT: OK, here's what I've got on Wooper.

First off, Damp sucks - Make sure all your Wooper have Water Absorb as an Ability.

Second, here's a few movesets I concocted:

The stalling Wooper:
    -Endure/Protect
    -Safeguard
    -Double Team
    -Substitute

The Physical tank Wooper:
    -Curse
    -Earthquake
    -Dynamicpunch/Double-Edge/Facade
    -Iron Tail

The Special tank Wooper:
    -Rain Dance
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf/Water Pulse
    -Haze

The status-effect Wooper:
    -Yawn
    -Toxic
    -Swagger
    -Sandstorm

The sponge Wooper:
    -Stockpile/Rest
    -Swallow/Snore
    -Curse
    -Amnesia

And lastly...

The all-trades Wooper:
    -Toxic
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf/Water Pulse

These guys are pretty simple, but they do watch each others' backs well, kinda like the Shedinjas up there in my first post do.

Items that'll help them out, I dunno about; Leftovers for Spongy is obvious, and Lum Berries might be good for Stally Woop and Status-E, but the rest I'm unsure about...
    Last edited by Blademaster; 27th December 2006 at 02:41 AM.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ninja's also use Kamikazi, so sandstorm wouldn't be that stupid ^_^

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

To be fair, I believe kamikazi refers to a mission where, if the person fails, he/she will die. It doesn't refer to outright suicide in order to accomplish the goal - at least, not in the context in which I've heard it. Could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the term.

Moving on, a relevant point to consider in the Dig/Silver Wind/etc. debate is the two-turn aspect of Dig. That gives an opponent a perfect opportunity to switch in something that can absolutely kill you. For instance, a Flying Poke with Aerial Ace could be quickly swapped in. Also, while Wonder Guard normally guards against Ground attacks (I think... watch me be wrong here), Dig makes moves like the standard EQ sure to hit as long as the Digger is underground. (...Again, I think... Okay, I've definitely botched this post! Something must be screwed up!)

In any case, the nature of Dig is something to consider when planning your strategy. Two-turn moves can lead to a lot of pain, especially when you're using a team that's already highly susceptible. Shedinja is practically the definition of sweepable. If that was a word.

Now if someone would please inform me what part or parts of my analysis were decidedly wrong, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for helping me to not totally ruin Alucard's team. Only partially.

Warning: Parts of this post were jokes intended to add comic effect. Risks of using of the poster's advice include humiliation, broken game cartridges, bullying, depression, headache, hair loss, hypertension, hernia, stroke, heart attack, aneurism, death, spontaneous combustion, necromancy, zombification, nuclear winter, and armageddon. The poster assumes no responsibility for any claims made during this post or the actions of those who read it. Please consult with your physician before reading this post.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Veteran Trainer

1. Kamikaze = suicide attack. End of story.

2. Earthquake can't kill Shedinja when Shedinja Digs. Thunder can't kill Shedinja when Shedinja Rain Dances. Wonder Guard blocks it.

3. Sweepable is not a word. In fact, it's not not a word, making you double wrong.

4. After I get some sleep, I'm sigging that disclaimer.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

kamikaze (trans. "divine wind") attacks involved Japanese pilots deliberately crashing their fuel-filled planes into American seagoing ships, utterly destroying both the plane and (hopefully) the American ship. Success meant certain death for the pilot; in fact, a common joke is to wonder why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

For a team of Shedinja to use Sandstorm as a kamikaze attack would bring disgrace upon their clan, however, for in a single move you ensure death for five sixths of your team in order to take maybe half the HP of a single foe, an attack that could be nulled after the very first turn simply by the enemy switching to an immune type. If you're going to have the vast majority of your team commit suicide it should certainly result in a more powerful and less avoidable attack than that.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Okay, my mistake. Er, mistakes. Yeah.

So Dig is viable, then. I honestly still prefer Silver Wind, both for STAB and the two-turn weakness of Dig (again, allowing the chance for a free switch seems unwise). Nonetheless, Dig probably would allow for a little more type coverage. It'll probably just come down to personal preference in that case.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Banned

I'm just a noob, and i didn't try it out, but why don't use endure on shedinja? i got one myself (trying to create the perfect Pokemon team..)
    Anyways good luck, trying to beat mystery red dungeon but i'm stuck might have found a bug lol

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Well, Endure doesn't defend against a lot of effects with which Shedinja tends to have problems (especially statuses). Besides, there's no reason to use it instead of Protect unless you're specifically trying to activate a berry (as in the deadly Flail/Salac Berry combo), and this doesn't much help Shedinja.

Its only real purpose on a Shedinja would be to check whether your opponent has a move that can KO you, and Protect is better for that anyway since it guards against statuses. But even that is a waste of time on this team; normally you could switch Sheddy for something else that would be able to take the hit, but if all your Pokemon are Shedinja then anything you might bring in will be destroyed just as easily as the one you recalled.

So, in short, it's pointless on this team. If you're using it to check for KOing moves so that you can switch to something else, use Protect instead.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

So for a single Shedinja hows this?
    Confuse Ray
    Hidden Power (For random status effect)
    Shadow Sneak
    Protect/Will-o-Wisp
    Item should Be a Lum Berry or a Focus Band I think (that's the one that has a chance to survive at one Hp right?)

I dunno if its that good cause I just got one. Normally I would use Confuse ray first so he can have a small chance to avoid an attack because they are confused but that only gets me so far. I use Hidden Power after Confuse Ray so I can place a Negative Status Effect with the confusion so they have a very low chance to get off clean. Then spam Shadow Sneak or switch out.

You're thinking of Secret Power. Hidden Power is the move that simply has a "random" type (other than Normal or Fairy) based on the pokémon's IVs. Secret Power is the Normal attack that inflicts status based on the environment.
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.