Thread: Rate my AS team please

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Cool Rate my AS team please

I'm going to be using this team from now on, so if anyone wants to battle me, please do so!!!! I'll be online for a lot of the day today.

Xerneas - Power Herb
    Fairy Aura
    Careful
    Geomancy
    Moonblast
    Thunder
    Focus Blast

Aggron - Aggronite
    Rock Head
    Hardy
    Autotomize
    Earthquake
    Heavy Slam
    Rock Slide

Delphox - Flame Plate
    Blaze
    Adamant
    Sunny Day
    Blast Burn
    Solar Beam
    Psychic

Trevenant - Metronome (Is this good on this guy?)
    Frisk
    Timid
    Shadow Claw
    Phantom Force
    Wood Hammer
    Trick Room

Aurorus - Hard Stone
    Refrigerate
    Naďve
    Ancient Power
    Hyper Voice
    Earthquake
    Blizzard

Malamar - Mind Plate
    Suction Cups
    Lonely
    Reflect
    Night Slash
    Psychic
    Superpower

All are welcome to post their thoughts or opinions that would have me improve this team and I would be open to any suggestions that would help me improve this team in the current metagame.
    Last edited by Link; 6th January 2016 at 06:08 AM.

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: Rate my AS team please

No rating from me (I'm illiterate to top level battling), but what's your friend code? I'll battle you sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

It's 4399-0102-9620. Top tier battling is my arena.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Alright I'm NOT the person to be giving competitive Pokemon advice, but since nobody else is helping you, I'll try my best.

Xerneas: Looks fine to me. Not sure why you gave him a King's Rock instead of a Power Herb, though.
    (Mega) Aggron: Not sure what this guy's deal is. Isn't Mega Aggron supposed to be a tank? I'd give him the ever-lovable Stealth Rock over Rock Slide and drop Autotomize in favor of an annoying status move like Toxic. Autotomize especially seems weird since it weakens Heavy Slam so much.
    Delphox: Ditch SunnyBeam. Sunny Day doesn't boost ANYTHING else on your team, and it actually hurts Xerneas a bit by dropping Thunder's accuracy. A better idea would be to give Delphox a support move like Calm Mind and a utility attack like Grass Knot. Also, Blast Burn kind of worries me, but that's just because of my personal preference for Fire Blast as the big Fire-type finishing move. Also, weird item choice. I'd go with something that boosts Sp. Atk. in general, not just Fire power.
    Trevenant: I don't know anything about this guy, but he seems like a good beatstick. I'd swap out one of his Ghost moves for something that gives extra type coverage, though, like maybe Power-Up Punch or another Earthquake. Also, Metronome isn't a great item. I'd go with a Choice Band, personally.
    Aurorus: Replace Ancientpower with Stone Edge and either Hyper Voice or Blizzard (no need for both due to Refrigerate) with Freeze-Dry for type coverage, then swap out Hard Stone for something like Choice Specs and watch this fucker kill everything.
    Malamar: Lack of Contrary really screws this guy up. I'd ditch him entirely, but if you really want to keep him, try giving him a Choice Scarf and maybe swapping out Superpower and Reflect with Rest and Sleep Talk.

I hope that helped in some way(Spoiler:) , but it probably didn't!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

It helped me, Blademaster!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Oh really? Shit, I just copy-pasted most of that from Smogon.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Yes, you did. Smogon is not standard. =/
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I'm going to be using this team from now on, so if anyone wants to battle me, please do so!!!! I'll be online for a lot of the day today.

Xerneas - Power Herb
    Fairy Aura
    Careful
    Geomancy
    Moonblast
    Thunder
    Focus Blast

Aggron - Aggronite
    Rock Head
    Hardy
    Autotomize
    Earthquake
    Heavy Slam
    Rock Slide

Delphox - Flame Plate
    Blaze
    Adamant
    Sunny Day
    Blast Burn
    Solar Beam
    Psychic

Trevenant - Metronome (Is this good on this guy?)
    Frisk
    Timid
    Shadow Claw
    Phantom Force
    Wood Hammer
    Trick Room

Aurorus - Hard Stone
    Refrigerate
    Naďve
    Ancient Power
    Hyper Voice
    Earthquake
    Blizzard

Malamar - Mind Plate
    Suction Cups
    Lonely
    Reflect
    Night Slash
    Psychic
    Superpower

All are welcome to post their thoughts or opinions that would have me improve this team and I would be open to any suggestions that would help me improve this team in the current metagame.
    Not a bad team overall, but the only problem I see is that it doesn't have any kind of bulk to back up the power. If the opponent is allowed to set up correctly, they could sweep your team easily.

If you're rolling with a mega aggron, though, that could serve as a good physical wall for support. Considering xerneas has good potential for being a special sweeper, its weakness to steel and poison types could be easily covered by aggron. Considering steel and poison type moves are usually physical, and aggron resists both (even immune to poison), it's a good match.

With Xerneas, the moveset you're giving it has some good coverage, but the problem i'm seeing is, without any rain dance users, thunder has horrid accuracy. I'd recommend either switching it for thunderbolt (only 20 less base power for 100% accuracy) or invest in rain dance on one of your pokemon.
    The item on xerneas is good enough, don't you dare change that (I'm personally a big fan of power herb on xerneas).
    I'm a bit partial to the focus blast pick, but if you're rolling with a special sweeper it's decent.

Aggron, as I said, would make a good physical wall support for your xerneas. If you're planning on rolling with that trick room idea, though, I'd say ditch autotomize. Not only would it work against the trick room strat, but considering you're also running heavy slam (a move which does calculations with weight), it's really counter-intuitive to lighten the load. I say switch that out for roar (or dragon tail if you feel you need to do some damage) if you feel like it can take enough hits from pokemon that have set up. If not, I would recommend swagger to use their own strengths against them while still being able to take the hit.
    If you want to max out his survivability from physical attackers, switch out earthquake in favor of iron defense.

For Delphox, either set her up as a special wall and give it an assault vest or keep with the offense idea and give it a life orb. Either way, I have a personal bias against "elemental" items such as the plates. Use it if you want, just know that I would recommend against it.
    I personally don't use hyper beam moves, so I would instead roll with flame thrower or fire blast, but blast burn could also work.
    If you're set on the trick room plan, I would get rid of sunny day, as said before, and roll with a second trick room. Otherwise, if trevenant goes down (which it will, i'll get to that later), you're toast. Considering trevenant is already a grass type that you have, solarbeam is unnecessary. I would switch it out for will-o-wisp for a status move that shuts down any physical offense that gives you trouble.

Trevenant.... that nature is unfortunate, you know? Timid lowers attack, which is basically the only stat that trevenant's good with. Not only that, it raises speed, which is bad for the trick room comp.
    If you were rolling with a niche special build support, I would be all for it, except you're quite obviously not.
    My recommendation? Ditch that trevenant and try to get one with a Brave nature. It raises attack and lowers speed, which would be very good for the comp you're rolling with.
    Not only that, but if you're rolling with phantom force, Shadow Claw is a very redundant move. If you want an earthquake user, i'd give it to trevenant, as it would seem like the most physical-oriented pokemon your team has.
    If you want to make absolute sure that your trick room gets up, ditch the metronome and get focus sash. Otherwise I have no more recommendations for him.

Aurorus' nature is also a bit counter-intuitive to the trick room strategy. If you wanna roll with a special attacker, give it quiet (-speed +sp. atk) or modest (-atk +sp. atk) depending on if you want this thing to be a mixed attacker as well. its ability, refrigerate, makes the blizzard kind of redundant, so I would recommend giving it freeze dry instead of blizzard for a move to deal with water types (including a x4 strength against ludicolo and water/ground types).
    If you want to go the mixed attacker route, then earthquake is fine, but otherwise I would switch that earthquake out for earth power (move tutor at battle resort in AS).
    As for the item, I'd recommend against the hard stone and instead invest in a wise glasses, or even choice specs if you want to go hard with it.

Malamar, like blademaster, is something I'd only recommend if it has contrary. If you want I can breed you up an inkay with contrary and we can talk then, but otherwise the moveset's looking okay, except switch psychic out for psycho cut and invest in phsyical attack EVs.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by BTPoke View Post
    Not a bad team overall, but the only problem I see is that it doesn't have any kind of bulk to back up the power. If the opponent is allowed to set up correctly, they could sweep your team easily.

If you're rolling with a mega aggron, though, that could serve as a good physical wall for support. Considering xerneas has good potential for being a special sweeper, its weakness to steel and poison types could be easily covered by aggron. Considering steel and poison type moves are usually physical, and aggron resists both (even immune to poison), it's a good match.

With Xerneas, the moveset you're giving it has some good coverage, but the problem i'm seeing is, without any rain dance users, thunder has horrid accuracy. I'd recommend either switching it for thunderbolt (only 20 less base power for 100% accuracy) or invest in rain dance on one of your pokemon.
    The item on xerneas is good enough, don't you dare change that (I'm personally a big fan of power herb on xerneas).
    I'm a bit partial to the focus blast pick, but if you're rolling with a special sweeper it's decent.

Aggron, as I said, would make a good physical wall support for your xerneas. If you're planning on rolling with that trick room idea, though, I'd say ditch autotomize. Not only would it work against the trick room strat, but considering you're also running heavy slam (a move which does calculations with weight), it's really counter-intuitive to lighten the load. I say switch that out for roar (or dragon tail if you feel you need to do some damage) if you feel like it can take enough hits from pokemon that have set up. If not, I would recommend swagger to use their own strengths against them while still being able to take the hit.
    If you want to max out his survivability from physical attackers, switch out earthquake in favor of iron defense.

For Delphox, either set her up as a special wall and give it an assault vest or keep with the offense idea and give it a life orb. Either way, I have a personal bias against "elemental" items such as the plates. Use it if you want, just know that I would recommend against it.
    I personally don't use hyper beam moves, so I would instead roll with flame thrower or fire blast, but blast burn could also work.
    If you're set on the trick room plan, I would get rid of sunny day, as said before, and roll with a second trick room. Otherwise, if trevenant goes down (which it will, i'll get to that later), you're toast. Considering trevenant is already a grass type that you have, solarbeam is unnecessary. I would switch it out for will-o-wisp for a status move that shuts down any physical offense that gives you trouble.

Trevenant.... that nature is unfortunate, you know? Timid lowers attack, which is basically the only stat that trevenant's good with. Not only that, it raises speed, which is bad for the trick room comp.
    If you were rolling with a niche special build support, I would be all for it, except you're quite obviously not.
    My recommendation? Ditch that trevenant and try to get one with a Brave nature. It raises attack and lowers speed, which would be very good for the comp you're rolling with.
    Not only that, but if you're rolling with phantom force, Shadow Claw is a very redundant move. If you want an earthquake user, i'd give it to trevenant, as it would seem like the most physical-oriented pokemon your team has.
    If you want to make absolute sure that your trick room gets up, ditch the metronome and get focus sash. Otherwise I have no more recommendations for him.

Aurorus' nature is also a bit counter-intuitive to the trick room strategy. If you wanna roll with a special attacker, give it quiet (-speed +sp. atk) or modest (-atk +sp. atk) depending on if you want this thing to be a mixed attacker as well. its ability, refrigerate, makes the blizzard kind of redundant, so I would recommend giving it freeze dry instead of blizzard for a move to deal with water types (including a x4 strength against ludicolo and water/ground types).
    If you want to go the mixed attacker route, then earthquake is fine, but otherwise I would switch that earthquake out for earth power (move tutor at battle resort in AS).
    As for the item, I'd recommend against the hard stone and instead invest in a wise glasses, or even choice specs if you want to go hard with it.

Malamar, like blademaster, is something I'd only recommend if it has contrary. If you want I can breed you up an inkay with contrary and we can talk then, but otherwise the moveset's looking okay, except switch psychic out for psycho cut and invest in phsyical attack EVs.
    I will definitely consider this worthwhile advice. Thanks, TPM'ers!!
    The Hero of Hyrule.