Thread: A brand-new, mind-blowing discovery for the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon games

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Lightbulb A brand-new, mind-blowing discovery for the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon games

Hi all,

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago, and I thought I ought to post it here to tell you guys about it. In the event anyone is still thinking that transferring a Pokemon from one of the first two generations to the third generation is impossible, guess again. In a nutshell, this little trick will make this kind of transfer possible, if you have the right tools and know what you're doing.

Now, for anyone who is interested in trying this and has any of the cartridges from the first two generations, you definitely will need a rom (but don't ask me where to get them; I'm not going to supply them here. Google is your friend) in addition to the Game Boy accessories that are needed if the cartridges are used for this trick.

Personally, I don't have the Game Boy accessories needed here, though I do have an older version of the Mega Memory Card. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it'll work for this purpose as it's proven to be nothing but a piece of junk to me.

So yeah, pretty much like everyone here, I once thought a Gen 1/Gen 2 to Gen 3 transfer was totally impossible...but after I first saw the website I have just linked you guys to, I can honestly say I was blown away by what I saw. Perhaps someday I'll purchase the two Game Boy accessories, and if that's the case, I'll post again in this topic if I get to try this myself with a cartridge (or, if anyone here decides to give this trick a try and purchases those accessories themselves, you are welcome to do that, but please let me know if the trick worked for you).

Anyway, if any of you guys check the link out, let me know what you think of the trick, please.

Edit: OMG, I can hardly believe I goofed in the topic title. Sorry guys; it's fixed now.
    Last edited by Knight of Time; 7th September 2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Default Re: A brand-new, mind-blowing discovery for the 1st and 2nd genation Pokemon games

I don't think it has any value beyond pure nostalgia, and the feeling of accomplishment of those who figured all this stuff out knowing it's technically possible. Nintendo even gave us digital Gen 1 remakes with WiFi capability. Like yeah, it's kinda cool, but there's no real practical purpose. Kudos to those who still have working original copies of the old games and haven't already lost their old mons, though.
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Default Re: A brand-new, mind-blowing discovery for the 1st and 2nd genation Pokemon games

Neat.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I would have needed that a few years back when I was still playing lots of D/P.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Nice discovery. I have got to check this out myself.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Default Re: A brand-new, mind-blowing discovery for the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon games

Alright guys, though I still haven't been able to attempt this trick yet, I have found what I'm certain is a second way to do the Pokemon trick I mentioned above.

I'm not sure if any of you noticed my post in Austrian ViceMaster Alex's "What are you playing?" topic in the Video Games subforum, but I mentioned a device I have there called the Retrode2. Anyway, there are a few plugins you can purchase for it, and one of them happens to give the Retrode2 compatibility with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games. Being as I already own a Retrode2, I think I'm now going to skip out on the Game Boy accessories I mentioned already, and instead go for the Retrode2 plugin that has the Game Boy/Color/Advance compatibility. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to do the Pokemon trick above with the Retrode2 and this plugin, so since I plan to purchase the plugin someday, if I do get it I'll let you guys know. Hopefully it will also allow the Pokemon trick to be done.

Edit: And as of late, I just got the Retrode plugin that gives it Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance compatibility, as well as copies of both Pokemon Red and Pokemon Silver. For the most part, the Retrode2 and this plugin (which is called the GBx plugin) have made it possible to read/write data to all of the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon games, except for my copy of Pokemon Gold. Just for the heck of it, I'll give you guys a quick summary of each game when I used it with the Retrode2 and GBx plugin:

Pokemon Red- started over (the previous owner didn't get any badges), and with the help of a certain save editor managed to get all 3 starters. The edited save was successfully put on the cartridge.
    Pokemon Blue- I used the same save editor with this game's save file, and sure enough it showed my data, so this was another good save dump.
    Pokemon Yellow- same as Pokemon Blue; I was able to use the save editor to view my data on the cartridge.
    Pokemon Gold- For some reason putting it into the GBx plugin seems to erase any save file already on the cartridge...I think I might need a new battery as I suspect this one is getting low on juice.
    Pokemon Silver- I was able to copy a save from my computer onto this cartridge successfully thanks to the Retrode2 and GBx plugin. This was a little tricky at first though.
    Pokemon Crystal- same as Pokemon Silver, but I had a surprisingly easier time getting my Pokemon Crystal save from the computer onto this cartridge.

So yeah, the Retrode2 and GBx plugin definitely work (I also got the two working with other Game Boy/Game Boy Color games and had success with them in regards to their save files).
    Last edited by Knight of Time; 23rd April 2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020