Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yo let's get this Gen VII party started

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Default Re: Yo let's get this Gen VII party started

By chance are you visiting Canada at the moment, Gabi? That might be the solution (though it's been years since I was outside of Canada, so I can't be sure if my hunch is right).
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

No, but fortunately, you don't have to actually be in a country in order to set your regional settings to pretend you're in it. I will stop at the Toronto airport for a couple of hours in late June, but my visa does not allow me to leave the airport.

Anyway, I have to set my region to Canada in order to download games because the eShop for Argentina doesn't have any games worth downloading.

But no, that still didn't work. Does anyone know how to let my 3DS 'know' there's a new update?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

what does the date say on your 3DS' clock? If it's wrong that might have something to do with it.

Administrator

The clock? It's set to my current time. I don't think they'd check that, would they? Has a 3DS ever ignored an update because the time did not match its current region?

[Edit: it's updating now! I just had to turn my 3DS off and back on while the region was set to Canada.]
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 13th January 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Congratulations, Lady Vulpix, for making it work!!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Administrator

Thanks!

Do you know if there's a way to feed Pokemon rainbow beans? Because I try to slide the bean tape and it doesn't work, it just picks whatever bean is nearest my (substitute) stylus.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post
    Thanks!

Do you know if there's a way to feed Pokemon rainbow beans? Because I try to slide the bean tape and it doesn't work, it just picks whatever bean is nearest my (substitute) stylus.
    I just keep quickly swiping left on it until the tape finally moves.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Thanks!

Try to slide the belt from the upper-most part of it. That works for me most of the time

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    Try to slide the belt from the upper-most part of it. That works for me most of the time
    I was able to doit, but only once. It never worked before, nor again.

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

It's ridiculously sensitive! I find that hardly any pressure and a VERY quick swipe will pull up the rainbow beans.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Master Trainer

Yeah, I have to swipe pretty mich at the top border of the bottom screen in order to make it work.

On a side note: if anybody needs help with ahiny hunting or with pokedex completion (the reward is the shiny charm), let me know. Just add the FC and which Pokemon you need and I'll see if I have them.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Administrator

I don't even bother with Pokedex completion. I never have. But if you want to trade, you're always welcome to do so. I have a female Boldore who could make a good addition to someone's team (and would evolve upon trading, and I already have a Gigalith).

I was positively surprised by the story this time, it's like at least one member of the writing team actually knew what they were doing! But Nebby was the biggest guilt trip in my whole Pokemon history. ((Spoiler:) I just can't fulfill its wish, sorry.)

The game has had 2 scary moments for me so far: (Spoiler:) the totem Wishiwashi and the Lusamine/Nihilego fusion. It took me half an hour to beat the latter, by the way. Good thing their Pokemon weren't too aggressive, just awfully resilient (and my team was level 38 at that time).

Oh, and I loved Acerola's challenge even though I find Acerola herself rather creepy.

And Alolan Ninetales is great, but I really miss having a good Special-Attacking Fire type. I keep running into situations that would be easily resolved with a good Flamethrower or Heat Wave, but uh-oh... I don't have that now.

My current status: I finally have all 18 type-based Z-Crystals (plus 3 more) and have made it to the League, but I have a team of 14 level 40 Pokemon... Which means I have reached the most annoying part of the game: grinding in order to become strong enough to face the Elite Four. What levels should my Pokemon be in order to stand a decent chance?
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 24th January 2017 at 06:08 PM.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

My current status: I finally have all 18 type-based Z-Crystals (plus 3 more) and have made it to the League, but I have a team of 14 level 40 Pokemon... Which means I have reached the most annoying part of the game: grinding in order to become strong enough to face the Elite Four. What levels should my Pokemon be in order to stand a decent chance?
    The elite four pokemon are between level 54-58.

Administrator

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I asked. Anyway, I'll try to reach level 45 and see what happens.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Your Pokémon should at most be between levels 50-60.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

My team was low/mid fifties and I struggled a little. Level 45 might be too low to beat them.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fett One View Post
    My team was low/mid fifties and I struggled a little. Level 45 might be too low to beat them.
    Ah... but levelling up with wild Pokemon battles is so tedious! Especially when I have a job and other things to do.

I currently have a level 42 Snorlax and 13 level 41 Pokemon. I raise their stats at Poke Pelago while I work or sleep, so that might give me an edge? Hau was not hard to beat in spite of the level difference, but then again... he's not Elite 4 material. I could try using the higher-level Pokemon I just caught, but they have no EVs or affection, so that may not work either.

Master Trainer

If you're busy, then I recommend upgrading Poke-Pelago and training them there (they also have a level-up juice there and the higher the level of Poke Pelago, the more points Pokemon gain towards levelling up) Be advised, I don't know if their moves could change, so getting a few Heart Scales could work.

My level-up training was mostly SOS with Elekid, since they call for Chanseys from time to time which give plenty of XP despite their level.

By the way (Spoiler:) Didn't the Mimikyu trial scare you?
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf; 26th January 2017 at 08:12 AM.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

No, it didn't. It was fun! (Spoiler:) I really like taking photos, and I think I have a thing for ghost types, because their shenanigans amuse me rather than scare me. Now that (Spoiler:) Totem Wishiwashi, on the other hand...

My Isle Evelup is already maxed, but I'm using it to raise EVs rather than levels, because it's more useful in the long run (experience is gained with every battle, but EVs can get messed up if you battle the wrong Pokemon).

My main 14 have reached level 44 now... I will list them (plus 3 other promising Pokemon I've started training) and use that least to decide who to take with me to face the E4 (suggestions are welcome).

1. Decidueye
    Pros: good offensive moves, 2 type immunities.
    Cons: stats could be better (and Attack EV is already maxed out, so it's not getting any better). Perhaps I should have gone for Special Attack instead, but it may be too late for that now, and besides his signature move is physical.
    Conclusion: unsure.

2. Toucannon
    Pros: good moves, may inflict a burn, 1 type immunity, good Attack.
    Cons: not very good at taking hits.
    Conclusion: unsure, leaning towards no.

3. Vikavolt
    Pros: amazing Special Attack, Thunder Wave, his Z-Move can deal serious damage to any opponent as long as it's not a Ground type.
    Cons: not good at taking hits, not good against opponents who resist Electric-type attacks.

4. Vaporeon
    Pros: pretty good at everything.
    Cons: not the best at anything, I have 2 other Water types.
    Conclusion: probably yes.

5. Alolan Ninetales
    Pros: great offensive moves, great Special Defense.
    Cons: Special Attack could be better (but won't be because it's maxed), weak against many E4 Pokemon.
    Conclusion: perhaps I should have trained another Vulpix instead, but his moves are so good I'll probably take him anyway.

6. Gyarados
    Pros: Intimidate, Thunder Wave, 1 type immunity.
    Cons: offensive moves aren't great, and it wouldn't be a good idea to take 2 Water types.
    Conclusion: probably not? Even though he helped me a lot against (Spoiler:) Lusamine, so I'm not sure.

7. Arcanine
    Pros: Intimidate, Extremespeed.
    Cons: stats are not the best.

8. Snorlax
    Pros: good stats overall (except Speed, but the level difference will make the E4's Pokemon faster anyway), 1 type immunity, Yawn, can definitely take hits.
    Cons: his only move that can deal massive damage is Pulverizing Pancake and that is a Normal-type Z-Move, no good against Ghost types.

9. Miltank
    Pros: so good at taking hits that she can bring down stronger opponents by using Bide alone.
    Cons: can't deal much damage without taking much damage herself, so it's always a bet on who will fall first.
    Conclusion: probably not.

10. Starmie
    Pros: good moves.
    Cons: yet another Water type, and it can't take a hit as well as Vaporeon can.

11. Sylveon
    Pros: good moves, decent stats.
    Cons: not the best at anything.
    Conclusion: probably yes.

12. Gigalith
    Pros: Sturdy, great Attack and Defense, Stealth Rock ensures all the opponents take at least some damage.
    Cons: no good non-Rock-type moves.
    Conclusion: probably yes, even if he'll be of little use against Hala.

13. Crobat
    Pros: decent array of moves, Speed so high that she may actually be faster than some E4 Pokemon.
    Cons: stats other than Speed leave a lot to be desired, and Attack is already maxed out.

14. Gengar
    Pros: 2 type immunities, good moves, good Special Attack.
    Cons: not very good at taking hits.

~~~~~~~~~

And the extras (still at low levels, just started training them:

15. Quilava (should become Typhlosion)
    Pros: finally a Pokemon who can deal good Fire-type damage! Also has a good nature and can inflict burns. And somehow reached maximum affection in a single Pokemon Refresh session! Love at first sight? O_o
    Cons: needs time to catch up with the rest of the team.

16. Espeon
    Pros: great Special Attack
    Cons: Espeon's moveset is rather tricky to play right, plus it will take a long time to level up.

17. Porygon (should become Porygon 2)
    Pros: good stats once it evolves, good moves.
    Cons: needs help to evolve and time to level up, has a Japanese name but that's probably just Porygon.

So... any thoughts? And also, really, how did my Quilava reach maximum affection so quickly?
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 28th January 2017 at 07:27 AM.

Master Trainer

Hmm... Let's see... For the Quilava question, if you fed it Rainbow beans, the affection goes automatically up. Besides that, maxing affection in Sun/Moon is way easier than in the previous gen.

Now, as for a decent team...

Decidueye is actually pretty good. It never really disappoonted me throughout the course of the game since its dual type covers a lot of opponents. He will probably help you through the League for sure.

I haven't tried Toucannon since I usually leave the flying coverage to either a Dragonite or a Salamence, but if you feel like it could help, then go for it.

i could advise getting a Steel type. I feel like they are good for catching those surprise picks which can appear. I believe you can get a Beldum, though, of course, training is needed. Togedamaru could also be good thanks to its Thunder/Steel dual typing, but again, its your choice

Will edit later since I have to take care of an urgent matter

EDIT: OK, so back to the topic...

-If either Espeon or Sylveon have HA, then take either to the League. Magic Bounce is great for status coverage and Pixilate makes Sylveon hit hard. Out of the two I prefer Espeon due to the great use of Magic Bounce. If none have HA then maybe Espeon if the best choice.

Vikavolt will also be useful, but I lean more towards Electivire, Raichu or another electric type pokemon since Bug is weak to a lot of types.

I have not advised for water typing, so out of the three, either Gyarados or Vaporeon are fine I believe. I didn't really need a water type pokemon, but if memory serves, Lapras could be a stronger choice (and I believe someone gives yoy a Lapras in this game, right?).

And finally, if at the end you do not wish to catch any other pokemon, then I think Quilava/Typhlosion is the best choice due to overall stats. Bad news is that there ia no shortcut to training except Poke Pelago. Plus if the EVs are maxed out, then level up boost is the next best use for Poke Pelago.

Your final choice could be to trade the team to someone to train them for you and then return them back so that you don't have to wait so long, but again, that's your choice.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf; 28th January 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

My main 14 are now level 45!

I realized today that Vikavolt could learn Energy Ball (how come I didn't notice sooner?), so I've taught it to him and he can now beat Ground types and not be completely defenseless against Rock types, so he's in. His Special Attack is so good that, as long as he can take one hit, he'll defeat his opponent.

None of my Pokemon have Hidden Abilities.

My Decidueye has never been great in battle, his Attack IV is too low. I have maxed his Attack EV and he still doesn't match some of my other Pokemon, so I'm having doubts about taking him with me. Especially now that he's not the only one who can use Grass type attacks.

Apparently Lapras can be found very rarely by surfing at the Poni Wilds, and they do usually have better stats than Vaporeon, but I'd have to catch one and train it from scratch, and my Vaporeon has not disappointed me so far, so I think I'm still going with Vaporeon.

My Espeon is currently level 18... It would take a long time to train him, but I'll keep him in mind. My Quilava is now level 30, and I'm seriously thinking of training him so he can join the others. He has good stats and good Fire-type moves, the only problem being he can't learn any decent offensive moves which are not Fire type (he does have a Dragon type Hidden Power, for what it's worth, but no one in the E4 uses Dragon types; isn't it curious how Dragon isn't strong against anything other than itself?).

So I'm currently thinking of Vikavolt, Gigalith, Sylveon, Vaporeon, either Arcanine or Typhlosion and Ninetales.

For a moment I thought of going with Gengar instead of Sylveon because she can use so many TMs that I can customize her moveset before each battle, and I might if it were a different League. But I'd have to be extra careful with opponents who use Ghost and Dark-type attacks (which is almost everyone?), so Sylveon is probably a safer bet.

Master Trainer

Yeah, I got confused with X/Y, so I apologize for that. You can get an Aerodactyl and Type: Null (both lv40) at Seafolk Village and Aether Paradise respectively, so either could maybe help. Hmm... What else... My best advice is to choose half of the 14 pokemon and train them to at least lv55+. Training 14 Pokemon takes a while after all.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

I currently have 13 level 46 Pokemon, a level 47 Ninetales and a level 40 Typhlosion. Their EVs are either maxed or nearly maxed, so right now I'm aiming at giving EVs the final touchesand maybe reaching level 50? I think that should be enough, but it could take a few days. Perhaps I can tackle the League on Saturday or something.

I already have that Aerodactyl, but I think Gigalith is better. As for Type:Null... I've never been fond of training legendaries.

Master Trainer

I see, though personally, I don't feel like Type: Null is a legendary. Then again, it has big stats and seems to have the same pokedex background as the UBs, so you're definitely right. Well in the end, it is your team so I know you know it better than I do, hehehe.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf; 30th January 2017 at 06:33 AM.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

Thanks. Actually, there may be something you can do to help.

Do you happen to have a Hondew Berry? I've had no luck finding one on Route 10 yet.

Master Trainer

Thanks. Actually, there may be something you can do to help.

Do you happen to have a Hondew Berry? I've had no luck finding one on Route 10 yet.
    Yeah, I have a few of those. I can do the trade tomorrow since I have to sleep today, but I am available on weekdays afternoon.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

Thanks. What time will you be on today (with timezone, please)? And how shall I contact you so we can talk while we trade?

Master Trainer

I believe my timezone is EST (Eastern US, Canada, -5). My current time (as of this post) is arounfld 8:30am. I can be online anytime after 3pm EST.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

OK, that's 5 PM for me. Since classes haven't started yet, I'll be free at that time.

So, how shall we communicate? Facebook?

[Edit: ˇgracias!]
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 31st January 2017 at 04:03 PM.

Master Trainer

OK, that's 5 PM for me. Since classes haven't started yet, I'll be free at that time.

So, how shall we communicate? Facebook?

[Edit: I waited for over half an hour, but I suppose something unexpected came up and you couldn't get online. Maybe some other day, or maybe I'll get the berry soon.]
    Apologies for lateness. Hope the wait was worth it.

On a side note: Missions are kinda fun, but I must admit that I was really turning the gears on my brain on the type matchup test, hahahahaha

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

That was great, thanks!

But how did you get a level 39 Dragonite?

I went to Aether Paradise to see if I could find Gladion for the sake of progressing the story, but they said he was busy tending to his mother.

My main 14 are level 49 now, and Typhlosion is level 42. Snorlax has learnt Crunch and is starting to look like he could be useful against the E4, but... I can't take so many Pokemon with me.
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 1st February 2017 at 10:44 AM.

Administrator

Sorry for the double-post, but this is a new update and no one else has posted since yesterday.

I finally did it. I got my team to level 50, all with effort ribbons, and became the champion. It was a bit anti-climactic... Turns out I had overprepared and the Elite 4 ended up being quite easy (especially Acerola, she was unable to make any of my Pokemon faint). Most of them didn't even use their Z-Powers. I only used mine (Hydro Vortex, glad I took Vaporeon with me) against Olivia (and then Kukui, but that's another story). I laughed when Olivia said I was one of those people who liked to save the tastiest bite for last.And also when Acerola quoted Nanu.

I finally took Gigalith, Vaporeon, Sylveon, Arcanine, Vikavolt and Ninetales. My Ninetales did a great job, toughing it up 3 times (2 of them consecutive) and it turned out having a Bug type was a good thing when I battled Hala, and Vikavolt's high Special Attack was really helpful (for instance, he took down Olivia's Relicanth in one hit).

Then Kukui was more like the kind of challenge I had expected. I enjoyed that battle.

What I really didn't expect was having to watch an hour-long movie before I could save! That's really poor design in my opinion. The party was nice, but the non-playable scenes took a bit too long, it would have been nice to save at some point between them. And what bothered me the most was (Spoiler:) being challenged by Tapu Koko without having had the chance to switch Pokemon or save first! I wasted a lot of Pokeballs before I decided to run away, because I didn't want to faint it nor use my Master Ball. Good think Lillie said I could challenge it another day, but then she left, so if I do challenge Tapu Koko again, she won't be there to see it. And what do I get out of challenging it anyway? I don't want to leave the island without its guardian! Also, (Spoiler:) if Lillie has finally decided to become a trainer, why doesn't she take Nebby with her? Her only reason for leaving it with me no longer holds!

So... some things are just wrong, I think. But the rest was fun! I liked the party, and the photo of Gladion half-smiling while Silvally was practically eating his face (not using spoiler tags because it's not much of a spoiler).

Master Trainer

But how did you get a level 39 Dragonite?
    Post-game, one of the new areas is Poni Grove. You can fish for Dratini there (5-10% chance in bubbling spots, not sure of the exact odds) and only in this area SOS calling will have a 5% chance of summoning a Dragonite (the levels also vary). Multiscale was also a nice bonus so I hope it comes in handy.

Congrats on beating the game. Now its time for the post-game content.

On my part, I'm taking a break from Moon to play Y. The last thing I did was get a shiny Dragonair, though. Will hunt for shiny female Salandit after that since I love challenges.

Optimist award 2012.

Administrator

Oh, I've been doing the post-game content for a while now. Already caught all the UBs, defeated Morimoto twice, explored all regions, entered the Battle Tree, had a big meal at the Battle Buffet, dined with Hapu and Olivia, and now I'm sending Togepis around the world (took me a while to get one with Serene Grace rather than Hustle, so I'm giving away the Hustle ones).

I currently have 15 level 58 Pokemon, and my Espeon is level 32 and has a good moveset. I traded the Porygon I got at Aether House, and I have a new one who's my Japanese Porygon's child. My new Porygon's stats seem to be similar to their parent's, so I'm still trying to decide which one I want to evolve.

The Jigglypuff Master! Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I have only 38 more Pokémon to go to complete the Dex in Moon. Most of them I can get through Pokémon Bank except Kartana which I haven't caught yet in Sun. And others I can get by breeding with Ditto or evolving.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your garbage on me!"
    ~Watchy Watchog

Helga: So I'm NOT Kate Moss.
    Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
    Helga: Gee. I don't know. When you really think about it, is there any sewer bigger than the world of professional modelling?
    ~The Oblongs

3DS FC: 1160-9737-9152
    PM me and I'll add you!

Administrator

I have 4 Kartanas. Would you like to trade?

Master Trainer

If you can, post a list of Pokemon you may want to find in trades and I'll see if I have them stored in PC to trade.

Optimist award 2012.

Cool Trainer

I have 4 Kartanas. Would you like to trade?
    Sure. I can give you a Cleffa with Aromatherapy and Metronome.
    ~Watchy Watchog

Helga: Gee. I don't know. When you really think about it, is there any sewer bigger than the world of professional modelling?
    ~The Oblongs

PM me and I'll add you!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJigglypuff View Post
    Sure. I can give you a Cleffa with Aromatherapy and Metronome.
    OK.

What day/time (and timezone) will you be on, and how can I contact you to talk in real time?

Cool Trainer

I'm in the EST and I can use Facebook
    ~Watchy Watchog

~The Oblongs

PM me and I'll add you!