Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yo let's get this Gen VII party started

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Yo let's get this Gen VII party started

So far I'm really loving Pokemon Moon, but I hope the hand holding kind of stops soon--I don't like being led from place to place all the time. Let me explore!

The animation is beautiful and I'm liking the transition into real interactive worlds. Gen VII is really building on the strengths of VI in that regard.

I'm interested in the different story mode... The changes to the existing structure anyway. I haven't finished the first Thing yet. (Again, avoiding being too direct about what that means in case someone doesn't want to know.)

The different Gen 1 Pokemon combined with a good smattering of new ones = LOVE. I like this strategy for a revival of the franchise. It allows the player to maybe choose to play with the old ones they know or branch into the new version.

I don't like Team Skull and their weird b-boy sorta juggalo schtick is weird. Then again their "Wow yo what up G we got issues home skillets" is amusing because they're so obviously poseurs.

I also really don't like how the dialogue decided "Hawaiian + Genki" = YEAH! WOW! YEAH BRO! WOW! YEAH! ALOLA! Press A to choose an attack. YEAH! WOO!

The dialogue among the characters is all ages accessible, but I like that the adult NPCs talk about adult relevant issues. I enjoyed the shotgun wedding Easter Egg and the woman in the cafe who's like "My friends pretend to complain about having children but it's all a subtle brag. I don't care. I'ma eat what I want and have no babies!" Cheers to you, malasada lady.

Minor spoiler: You still get Exp Share early on, but it's not nearly the game breaker that it was in OR/AS where it made me 15-20 levels higher than the other trainers by, like, Gym 3.

I thought malasadas were Portuguese, not Hawaiian...? Idk I always had them at festa in Fall River MA. Maybe there's cultural context I'm lacking there.

Lil' Rotom Dex! D'awwwww! I like this spunky lil guy. I like the new way to locate specific patches of grass for specific Pokemon. I miss PokeRadar though.

The weird NPC Lillie has me genuinely interested in knowing more about Cosmog.

I think the music is the best yet. Subtle and tropical-sounding without being over the top.

So far I'm glad I bought this game.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: Yo let's get this Gen VII party started

I won't be playing this game until Christmas, because I'm broke as fuck and that's a damned shame (still have Fire Emblem to keep me company though). I'm looking forward to jumping into this edition, maybe tweaking my main team around a bit and seeing how I go online. I loved Team Skull's theme when I played the demo, it was catchy as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I got the game yesterday. So far I like it.

I picked Litten as my starter pokemon. I've been taking my time exploring, so I only just made it to the second island.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

Still not out in Europe... =(
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

I Finnished last Moderator

I found an offer from a Finnish anime magazine for the steelbook edition and went for that.

I don't know how soon I'll start the game itself though. As for handheld, I have only been playing my Pokemon Diamond lately because I still haven't finished it.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

My team so far now as I'm at the E4 and Champion:

Incineroar
    Lunala
    Araquanid
    Wishiwashi
    Toucannon
    Mudbray (going to evolve it soon)

I agree with all of what the TC said, also!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

STILL not out in Europe ;o;

Not long though. Going to a midnight launch tomorrow. Then working on release day (dressed as Pikachu. I have the best job).

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by ChobiChibi View Post
    STILL not out in Europe ;o;

Not long though. Going to a midnight launch tomorrow. Then working on release day (dressed as Pikachu. I have the best job).
    Loves it!!!

So far my team is Gumshoos, Misdreavus, Brionne's evolution (Whatever it is), Grimer (Alola), Crazy Toucan and Magneton. Ths is what I get for nicknaming my Pokemon. I have no idea who half of them are XD

I also just got to Island #3.

So far, so good. Loving this game. It's kept me engaged.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

So far I'm still on Island #2 but I'm on my way to fight Olivia.

My team at the moment is Incineroar, Toucannon, Charjabug, Mudsdale, Golisopod, and Passimian.

Master Trainer

Ok ok Toucannon is <3

I still think the Team Skull music says "touch butts"

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I just caught a shiny Minior yesterday!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

I got the game on Wednesday and started playing on Thursday. Not sure if all of these are new things, I missed Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

I was surprised that you can opt for not just European languages, but also Japanese and Chinese in the beginning of the game. I chose to play the game in English though.

The new graphical solutions for the menus arouse contradictory emotions. Are those paint dashes meant to be stylish?

And then there's this detail in the battle menu where you can see how effective the attack is, after you have captured the Pokemon in question. Part of the challenge in the earlier games for me was to remember the type advantage system.

I'm not finding more things to complain about. Overall, a good game.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

My final team lineup ended up being Incineroar, Toucannon, Vikavolt, Mudsdale, Araquanid, and Passimian.

I beat the elite four and captured all of the Ultra beats yesterday. While trying to locate the final UB, I came across a shiny Dugtrio, making that my first shiny for this generation.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Shinies are cool, congrats on getting that one!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Unfortunately I'm a bit behind the times as far as playing Pokémon games (Life Happens sucks, I wish I had a 3DS to play the Gen 6 and 7 games...), but I've been keeping track and Sun and Moon definitely are unique entries in the series. The Trials and Kahunas are quite a change of pace from facing down Gym Leaders, there's a lot of fun jokes and references in the game if you know what to look for, and some of the Alola forms are quite interesting (though others I wonder just...what was GameFreak on?). On that note, how do they expect you to get normal Raichu in these games (at least, outside of transferring)?

....btw, has anyone else heard the stupid theory going around the internet about the Ultra Beasts and previous Gens (at least, 1-5)? I don't think there's a shred of actual truth to it at all, and people are just making a big deal out of GameFreak's usual habits.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Ultra Beasts are pretty much legendary Pokemon.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yeah, that much is pretty much obvious. I was referring to the fact that some people out there seem to think the Ultra Beasts destroyed the Gen 1-5 world(s) and that Gen 6 and 7 are a separate universe due to Mega Evolution. Pretty dumb, really. If they're basing this on Mega Evolution being in OR/AS, that's GameFreak with their usual retcon-to-suit-the-mechanics tricks (see: Magnemite and Magneton in Gen 2, Double Battles in FR/LG and HG/SS (among probably other things), anything changed to Fairy-Type in Gen 6...), and if they're going by the PokéDex, since when has that thing ever been actually reliable (Slugma being hotter than the sun, anyone?), especially with a trickster like Rotom living in it in Gen 7 (which might explain some of those more out there Dex entries as well).

....although I'm trying to figure out why they apparently made it impossible to get normal Raichu outside of transferring one in (since it seems even transferring in a Pikachu from elsewhere will evolve into Alola Raichu because of the fact there's no Alola Pichu/Pika and it's the same evolution method). At least with the other Alola Forms, even though you have to transfer the originals in, there's nothing funky about evolving them and having them remain in original form.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Exactly.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I just completed the Alolan Pokedex today. I still have a few QR Pokemon to catch and then I'll have all of the catch-able Pokemon in the game.

The Jigglypuff Master! Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Ash View Post

....although I'm trying to figure out why they apparently made it impossible to get normal Raichu outside of transferring one in (since it seems even transferring in a Pikachu from elsewhere will evolve into Alola Raichu because of the fact there's no Alola Pichu/Pika and it's the same evolution method). At least with the other Alola Forms, even though you have to transfer the originals in, there's nothing funky about evolving them and having them remain in original form.
    You can't get regular Marowak or Exeggcutor either.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your garbage on me!"
    ~Watchy Watchog

Helga: So I'm NOT Kate Moss.
    Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck in a sewer.
    Helga: Gee. I don't know. When you really think about it, is there any sewer bigger than the world of professional modelling?
    ~The Oblongs

3DS FC: 1160-9737-9152
    PM me and I'll add you!

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I started playing Pokemon Sun yesterday! It's looking good so far. I just got my Rotom... I found it weird that it's in the Pokédex yet it is not registered in it, but still, it seems like a nice addition... at least for now. I hope it doesn't become annoying over time. What I like the most is that they're changing some things that has become too repetitive. The formula's still similar, but not identical to that of the previous games, so, unlike the others, I can't predict everything that's going to happen. I like that.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

These games are very cool like that.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

I got both Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon for Christmas, and even though I haven't played either that much (being as I'm still playing the 6th generation games, and as usual, trying to get a completed National Pokedex in all of them before I move on to the next generation's games), I have to say, I'm surprised that you need to use the Circle Pad to move your character. Then again, I guess it makes sense, considering there are many 3D RPG/adventure games where moving around is done exclusively with the circle pad or a similar joystick-type control, depending on the system and game. But there is one thing that has me curious...when the National Pokedex becomes available in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, would we have to get Pokedex data for both the Alolan and regular forms of the Kanto Pokemon that got a new Alolan form (e.g. Raichu, Vulpix, Sandshrew)?
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well my guess is the Alola forms will still count towards the National Dex, getting the original forms would just be a matter of personal completionism. However three in particular (Raichu, Exeggutor, Marowak) seem particularly hard to get the originals for outside of transferring them in fully evolved since their previous forms (Pichu/Pika, Exeggcute, Cubone) don't have Alola forms, so even ones transferred in might evolve into their Alola forms instead of their originals.

Feels like quite an oversight with these three, unless the National Dex somehow fixes this

Cool Trainer

I caught a female Shiny Golbat earlier this week and named her Shimmer!
    ~Watchy Watchog

Helga: Gee. I don't know. When you really think about it, is there any sewer bigger than the world of professional modelling?
    ~The Oblongs

PM me and I'll add you!

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Nice, CaptainJigglypuff!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Cool Trainer

It was an SOS battle and popped up after the second successful cry for help. I wasn't even trying to get a Golbat let alone a Shiny one. I was in Poni Fields and trying to use the Exp. Share to level up and evolve some Pokémon for the Dex. I had to restrain from screaming in excitement because I was in the car driving down to L.A. I needed Golbat anyway because I skipped catching Zubat since getting one is as easy as catching a cold from a preschool classroom.
    ~Watchy Watchog

~The Oblongs

PM me and I'll add you!

Master Trainer

Ooh! This reminds me I have to catch up on friend codes!!

I really don't care for Festival Plaza, but fear not, friendless friends and those who can't stand the Plaza, nice folks on the GTS will trade their Electivire/Magmortar for Electabuzz/Magmar with the evolution item attached (this goes for many trade evos). So if you've got a King's Rock and a Slowpoke but nobody seems to be online, throw it in GTS and ask for a Slowking. Someone'll come around and do this for you!

I'm around 260/301 for the Pokedex now. Next trek: Must find a female Selandit. I'll probably breed a ton if I can and release them into Wonder Trade to do a kindness or something. I already have an army of Porygon ready to go--since XY, I do that every game, send out a ton of ridiculously (benign) nicknamed Porygon to the masses at once.

This is the first time I've gone for 'em all in the Pokedex since RBY!! I need some of the Sun exclusive ultra beasts, but they might be in GTS for fair trade.

I'm not loving how hard it is to fish in this game. I still need Alomomola and Relicanth.

I also still have to catch the last two Tapu and the one Mega Beast or whatever, but it's giving me something to look forward to...

Vullaby takes a frustrating amount of time to evolve. I'm running out of other Pokemon to raise while trying to level up this little toolshed.

PRO TIP: Give your lead Pokemon two Rainbow Beans and pet it like twice in the Refresh and it'll maximize friendless and gain 1.5x experience. Then give it the Lucky Egg to hold. It makes leveling them up until they evolve so much easier.

ALSO for those friendliness-contingent evolutions, use the PokePelago to plant only those Beans that lower a stat's EVs but raise Happiness. Then feed a Pokemon at any level like 50 of them and it'll happy-evolve at the next level gained plus if they're freshly hatched or caught, they've got 0 EVs anyway so they just raise Happiness!
    Last edited by Magmar; 2nd January 2017 at 09:09 PM.

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Administrator

I was planning to get an Espeon but my Eevee evolved into Sylveon instead. (Sorry, couldn't help petting him). I think I'll see how that works out.

And I absolutely cannot train only 6 Pokemon.

Also, why does the sun go down so early? Is that how it works near the Equator?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),

Master Trainer

I finished the Pokedex! Yay!!

As for sunrise/sunset, for some reason, in my game, the sun sets during 10-11 p.m. I'm in Central Standard Time. If it happens simultaneously globally, that would be between 1-2 a.m. in Buenos Aires... But if you have Moon (I do too but used Lunala to change the sunrise/sunsets), I'd guess it sets around 2 p.m.? At the equator, the sun usually rises between 5-6:45 a.m. and sets between 5-6:45 p.m. I'm not sure where they're basing this off of, unless it's utc??

Edit: And this is me with the wrong time set in my 3DS. Whoops!!!!! It definitely made the game easier to have the time change before bed, though!
    Last edited by Magmar; 10th January 2017 at 06:13 PM.

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

In my game, there is night when it's daytime. Could it be because it's winter here in Finland and the sun is barely seen. Now that I look at it, for some reason, it's daytime in the game though it's 5:53 AM here in Finland. Impossible!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Magmar View Post
    I finished the Pokedex! Yay!!

As for sunrise/sunset, for some reason, in my game, the sun sets during 10-11 p.m. I'm in Central Standard Time. If it happens simultaneously globally, that would be between 1-2 a.m. in Buenos Aires... But if you have Moon (I do too but used Lunala to change the sunrise/sunsets), I'd guess it sets around 2 p.m.? At the equator, the sun usually rises between 5-6:45 a.m. and sets between 5-6:45 p.m. I'm not sure where they're basing this off of, unless it's utc??

Edit: And this is me with the wrong time set in my 3DS. Whoops!!!!! It definitely made the game easier to have the time change before bed, though!
    Yes, I think in Pokémon Sun the sun rises at 5:45 AM and sets at 5:45 PM.

Anyway, congratulations on filling your pokedex!

I need some help evolving my Haunter and Boldore. Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Waiting for pokemon Box compatibility so I can finish my dex in one swoop.

Then I'll get down to breeding/training the Alolan forms and my core set of fighters for this gen. Got a shiny mimikyu.

Need a shiny minior. It's the only color I don't have.
    Also have the correct ability mareanie and I'm gonna ultra breed the ever living daylights out of it x.x

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Cool Trainer

I have most of the new Pokemon barring Sun exclusive UB and Bruxish and the Tapu on my Moon version.
    ~Watchy Watchog

~The Oblongs

PM me and I'll add you!

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You have to trade those Pokémon over to the other version to have them evolve, Lady Vulpix.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    Waiting for pokemon Box compatibility so I can finish my dex in one swoop.

Then I'll get down to breeding/training the Alolan forms and my core set of fighters for this gen. Got a shiny mimikyu.

Need a shiny minior. It's the only color I don't have.
    Also have the correct ability mareanie and I'm gonna ultra breed the ever living daylights out of it x.x
    Minior does not call allies, but you can breed for one. And it is so worth it. The shiny form makes a lot of sense and I'd argue that it is one of the most creative shinies to date.

Anyway, I already have the Alolan Dex completed, so of anyone needs assistance completing their own, let me know so that I can help. I have Pokemon Moon but I also have some Sun exclusive Pokemon around too.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Administrator

What's the advantage of Pokémon calling for allies? Other than extra EXP, that is.

I had a problem with the game today. I tried to do a Wonder Trade and got the following error message: "In order to use online services, a newer version of the software is needed." It said to download a new version from the eShop, but I checked and there is no such new version. I also tried a System Update, and it said my system was up to date. What could the problem be?

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post
    What's the advantage of Pokémon calling for allies? Other than extra EXP, that is.

I had a problem with the game today. I tried to do a Wonder Trade and got the following error message: "In order to use online services, a newer version of the software is needed." It said to download a new version from the eShop, but I checked and there is no such new version. I also tried a System Update, and it said my system was up to date. What could the problem be?
    Apologies for breaking the "wait for 2 people" rule, but I wish to help with these questions:

1-SOS chaining (calling for allies) advantages:

A-The bigger the chain goes: the better the IV's will be for the following pokemon (I have caught pokemon with up to 5 perfect IV's).

B-The possibilities of encountering shiny pokemon also increase (as far as my experience goes, I feel like it is about 1/1024 after at least a chain of 70. With the shiny charm, I believe it goes down to about 1/512 considering I have caught shinies in chains of 200 or less. I even got a shiny Pichu after a chain of only 20 with the shiny charm).

2-Update issues: That, although I do not have a clear answer, I can let you know this: make sure that the game is updated to the latest version (you can see it on the title screen). If the latest version is not installed, then you may have to browse manually through the eshop for it.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post

They updated the game a couple of days ago. In order to get the update when you first turn on your 3DS, turn on the wireless connection and then click on the game to open it. You should get a message about downloading the update.

Administrator

Oh... I couldn't find a new version in the marketplace and I got no notifications when I played the game, but... maybe if I switch my regional settings to Canada and then play the game I'll get it? It's worth a shot.

[Edit: nope. It didn't work. Still no notification. How can I get my 3DS to realize there's a new version?]
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 13th January 2017 at 01:41 PM.