Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 TPM RBY Monotype Challenge

Misanthropic Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default 2006 TPM RBY Monotype Challenge

2004 RBY TPM Thread Monotype Challenge

This was somewhat of a success on SPP, so i'm putting it here too to try and spark some interest. The premise is simple, just so long as you follow the rules below.

• You play through either Red, Blue or Yellow using pokemon of only one type (including Duel types who must share the chosen type)
    • If your chosen starter is not of the type you picked, you are forbidden to use it.
    • No matter how stuck you get you must not use any other types.
    • You are allowed to use only ONE set of TMs. This includes trading between other versions of RBY and also GSC.
    • As with TMs, you cannot trade between games for pokemon. This means obtaining level 5 pokemon via eggs in GSC. Trading for evolution is allowed (Machamp, Alakazam, Golem, Pikachu). You may trade between RBY games, so long as you do so, when you reach the place said pokemon would naturally appear (ie, Electabuzz in the Power Plant)
    • After you pass certain events or feel the need to update, you reply to the topic with details on how your progress is going, the status of your team, how hard it is, etc.
    • You may have only ONE member of a famly in your team. That means no duplicating a pokemon to fill your spots. No having two Pikachus to fill out your team.
    • Ghost and Dragon teams are not accepted due to lack of pokemon
    • The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching, or defeat of Mewtwo.

-----

I'm also going to ask for some opinions on something. Charizard04621 PM'd me with an idea for an RBY Tournement with Gym Leaders and such in. We're asking if people may want to take part in this, or for any opinions they might have before we consider starting it.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default 2004 TPM RBY Monotype Challenge

im in. how do we do it? just start on our own, or wait for other people? I'll probably wanna grab grass, or maybe psychic, or water. one of those 3.

grass would be venusaur, eggy, vic, tangela...what else? vileplume...and? does one of the versions have all 5 of those guys? cause i don't feel like trading. oh wait, parasect. ok, thats my team that im aiming for.

ps: blaine will get wrecked by grass pokemon, haha.
    Burning in water, drowning in flame

Master Trainer

Just start on your own. Soon as I get batteries, I'm gonna start again. I did Poison rcently, so i'll be going with a new type.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I do this sort of thing all the time in GSC and RS. RBY, though, would be harder because of fewer good dual-types...you know what's fun? The Single-Fighter Challenge. Your final team, which you should attain as early in the game as possible, will consist of one, count'em, one, pokémon who ever battles, and then a handful of others whose only purpose in life is to use HMs out of battle. If you try this, you'll find out before long that the biggest challenge isn't beating opponents with only one fighter--after all, that one fighter gets all of the XP and soon becomes an unstoppable beast--it's conserving PP so you can make it all the way through the Elite Four without ending up stuck with Struggle.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    I do this sort of thing all the time in GSC and RS. RBY, though, would be harder because of fewer good dual-types...you know what's fun? The Single-Fighter Challenge. Your final team, which you should attain as early in the game as possible, will consist of one, count'em, one, pokémon who ever battles, and then a handful of others whose only purpose in life is to use HMs out of battle. If you try this, you'll find out before long that the biggest challenge isn't beating opponents with only one fighter--after all, that one fighter gets all of the XP and soon becomes an unstoppable beast--it's conserving PP so you can make it all the way through the Elite Four without ending up stuck with Struggle.
    Yeah, my Charizard had no problem destroying them. The only two annoying people were Lorelei and Lance, and then of course Gary's Blastoise, but that was about it. I tried this with a Blastoise and it was much, much harder though. Blastoise's offensive strength versus the Elite Four sucks compared to Charizard's.

[COLOR=silver][B]Guardian Lune

[COLOR=gold]
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Banned

I'm definitely in, but I have one problem.
    We're supposed to restart our games, right?
    Well if we start with a type like.. say, Psychic, you can't get any of those types early in the game. You have to wait until later.
    So how does it work? o_o; Cause I wanted to nab Psychic.

Advanced Trainer

/shrug/ I'd say, use only your starter or something, until you get to Route 24, then you catch an Abra, get it to evolve and then deposit your starter, never to use it again.
    Aside from that, there's always Game Shark...I don't approve of the Shark when it's used to boost your stats really high or build illegal movesets, but I'm fine with it for these 'specialty runthroughs' as long as you're keeping it ingame. You could use the code that puts Kadabra or Drowzee or something into the grass of Route 1, catch it there, then ditch the Shark.

Banned

Are Pokémon gotten from the Mew Glitch legal? Because with a variation of the Mew glitch, I have many Pokémon I should definitely not have at this point in the game.

It's possible to get these Pokémon at level 7 at Mt. Moon (possibly more; there are some strategies I have yet to test):

Ivysaur
    Exeggutor
    Lickitung
    Exeggcute
    Grimer
    Gengar
    Nidoran F
    Nidoqueen
    Cubone
    Rhyhorn
    Lapras

To get them, go down the second ladder, follow the passageway, and you can Escape Rope away from the Rocket. Start, A and B will turn off. Have a trainer walk to you and defeat the trainer. Afterwards, go to the second basement. Depending on the Special stat of the Pokémon you fought last, be it wild or from the trainer, you'll fight a certain Pokémon.) It requires a max special or near-max special (19) from a level 9 Paras to get Lapras, and a min special or near-min special (9) from a level 7 Geodude to get Ivysaur. Also, the above list assumes that you'll automatically fight a battle in the basement...if you somehow avoid any wild Pokémon or maybe if you catch any that appear, you might be able to get the Specials from a trainer in or near Mt. Moon. From them it may be possible to fight Pokémon with lower or higher Specials (like a level 3 Caterpie in Viridian Forest, which would yield either a Voltorb or a Nidoking. Higher level forms and opponents in Viridian Forest and before Mt. Moon can yield Slowbro. Trainer Pokémon may have Specials of above 19; 20 would yield Arcanine, 21 would yield Mew, 22 would yield Gyarados). So basically, it's very possible to obtain many Pokémon you "shouldn't" have by the time of Mt. Moon, no GameShark. So is this legal?

Banned

/shrug/ I'd say, use only your starter or something, until you get to Route 24, then you catch an Abra, get it to evolve and then deposit your starter, never to use it again.
    Aside from that, there's always Game Shark...I don't approve of the Shark when it's used to boost your stats really high or build illegal movesets, but I'm fine with it for these 'specialty runthroughs' as long as you're keeping it ingame. You could use the code that puts Kadabra or Drowzee or something into the grass of Route 1, catch it there, then ditch the Shark.
    Umm.. I hate to be a nuisance but do you or anyone else know that code? I've looked all over Gamefaqs and the official Gameshark site and I can't find anything.

Advanced Trainer

Hang on...I've got them somewhere...bear in mind, though, that you need one of the older Game Sharks, or maybe even a Game Genie...the new Game Sharks that are meant to work with GBA games like Ruby/Sapphire won't work on a classic Game Boy game like Red/Blue/Yellow.
    Okay, here's a link for you. http://www.cmgsccc.com/gb/index.php?letter=16 This site lists original-version Game Shark codes...sadly it doesn't have Game Shark Advance codes, as it has decided to solely support the Code Breaker© device for GBA games.

I'm interested in that Gym Leader thingy. But how would we do it? Would it be on the bots or PBS? Or just ASB type battles here on the boards?

Banned

Hang on...I've got them somewhere...bear in mind, though, that you need one of the older Game Sharks, or maybe even a Game Genie...the new Game Sharks that are meant to work with GBA games like Ruby/Sapphire won't work on a classic Game Boy game like Red/Blue/Yellow.
    Okay, here's a link for you. http://www.cmgsccc.com/gb/index.php?letter=16 This site lists original-version Game Shark codes...sadly it doesn't have Game Shark Advance codes, as it has decided to solely support the Code Breaker© device for GBA games.
    I have the updated version of the GBC/GBP Game Shark, and the codes won't work. I've tried the "Capture Pokemon Modifier" (thats what I think the code should be) and inputted the code with the ?? as "26" for Kadabra, but it still won't work.
    Can I like.. breed a Hypno that I have with another Pokemon from my Yellow game and transfer the level 5 Pokemon once it hatches into my Yellow version? It's the only thing I can do to get Psychic types.
    EDIT: I mean the Pokemon stored on my N64 from my old Yellow games.

Banned

I did this recently with bug type - Butterfree, Beedrill, Scyther, Pinser, Venomoth, and Parasect - i.e. the only six bugs. Its fun only using butterfree and bedrill for the majority of the game.

Master Trainer

Pokemon vis the Mew Glitch wouldn't be allowed, for the same reason duplicating TM's with Missingno isn't allowed. Taking advantage of a glitch. Nuh Uh. If you want to use Psychic types it's like Poryhedron said, you have to use your starter alone, till you can finally catch a type you want.

I'd like to join in. Seems like great fun I would like to call...

The Normals!

Yes, the feared Normal types that take up maybe one-sixth of the Pokemon population. You can use Flying-hybrids like Pidgey and get Ratatta early on in the game. And Clefable learns Psychic moves

Ah, taking advantage of the Pokemon...

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

ok, i'm in cereleaun or however you spell it. don't have the badge, but i'm making my way up to Bill. I have:

Level 25- Ivysaur
    ~Vine Whip
    ~Poison Powder
    ~Tackle
    ~Leech Seed

Level 15- Paras
    ~Stun Spore
    ~Scratch

Level 14- Bellsprout
    ~Growth
    ~Vine Whip
    ~Wrap

there. more updates to come.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

count me in, I well be doing flying types.

Oh btw Razor leaf I like your Sig, I think Victreebel rocks!

~Ryu
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

Banned

Hmm...I'll consider doing this. I could do a poison team. It wouldn't be that hard, considering there are many poison Pokemon of varying types...

Also, we can use HM slaves, right? I mean, put together I'm pretty sure the poisons can learn each HM besides Fly (Golbat doesn't learn fly, right?), but a slightly rarer type would have more problems.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

yeah, HM slaves are allowed, just not for gym battles, or any other battles. keep them at the end of your order, so they don't come out when you're challenged.

This sounds neat. if i were to want a flying team is it ALL the family that must be Flying or just the Last Stage

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

i think last stage....like gyarados is allowed, even though magikarp is just water. same with charizard. i think. ask razor leaf though, this was his idea to set this up.

Hm, I wanna try. Im gonna be using ground pokes, since its one of my favorate elements... Uhm, yeah.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Soneko
    Hm, I wanna try. Im gonna be using ground pokes, since its one of my favorate elements... Uhm, yeah.
    hmm...you have...

sandslash
    dugtrio
    rhydon
    golem
    marowak
    nidoking
    nidoqueen

you actually have some decent variability there. i might even be forgetting about a ground. ground is a good choice though.

also, i have blue. is oddish in blue? cause i don't think he is, and i'm too lazy to trade between games for him.

Advanced Trainer

Nope. Oddish is in Red only. Bellsprout replaces it in Blue.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Pikachu
    i think last stage....like gyarados is allowed, even though magikarp is just water. same with charizard. i think. ask razor leaf though, this was his idea to set this up.
    yeah I don't see why not they are in the the flying type cadagory as shown in the pokédex at Serebi net, btw here is my update on my Flying team so far.....

Charmeilon/king
    lv.16
    ~Ember
    ~Maga punch
    ~Scratch
    ~Leer

Butterfree
    Lv.18
    ~confution
    ~stun spore
    ~sleep powder
    ~poisionpowder

Spearow
    Lv.18
    ~peck
    ~fury attack
    ~Leer
    ~Growl

and a Lv 6 Magikarp named Rage, no Expanation needed as far as it's move set goes of it's nickname right?

btw, I am in Cerulan like you are Green_Pikachu I also don't have the badge yet and I am also on my way to bill's house.

~Ryu
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

any ideas for my team? i can get 5 of the 6 pokemon for my team within the game i have. but i don't have the access to trade for an oddish. can i use something else? or just go with 5 pokemon? it's up to Razor Leaf

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Ferilian
    I'm interested in that Gym Leader thingy. But how would we do it? Would it be on the bots or PBS? Or just ASB type battles here on the boards?
    No ASB. Never. This is RBY... The battles will be done RBY style. If anyone's got a link to a PBS that works properly, some of the battles could be conducted there... But another thing... Is there still a functioning RBYBot around? I gave up mIrc a while back and I'm not sure.

[COLOR=gold]

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

i dunno, i can't get IRC to work at my college, its weird. hopefully there is a functioning PBS around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard04621
    No ASB. Never. This is RBY... The battles will be done RBY style. If anyone's got a link to a PBS that works properly, some of the battles could be conducted there... But another thing... Is there still a functioning RBYBot around? I gave up mIrc a while back and I'm not sure.
    There is. I dunno if I should be linking to it, but since you wanted to know... its here. Its mostly GSC, but theres a RBY server (that doesnt allow GSC).

If I shouldnt be linking, then uhm, tell me and Ill edit it out, or a mod could edit it out or something. ^^;

And about the monotone playing thing, Im doing pretty well. Its not very hard... Im using a Graveler, Dugtrio, Nidorino, Nidorina, and Sandslash at the time, the last spots gonna be a Marowak or Rhydon. And obviously they're gonna be fully evolved... I just want the Nido's to learn Double Kick. Is good ingame.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I've done this for Fire, Grass, Electric (pain in the ass to beat Brock at the start; you need to do some serious Pikachu leveling and be extremely patient), and Flying (easy because you get so much variation). I liked it for a while, but then it got old because I kept switching to a different type repetitively.

[COLOR=gold]

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

how was grass? cause i'm doing that now. it seems like it's going to be easy except for maybe the psychic gym and fire. poison could be tough too, but thats where my swords dance/physical attack grass pokemon (haven't decided who that will be) will have to take over. Elite 4 could be tough with grass. Especially Lance. oh well.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Grass was ok, but anywhere Rockets were I was real pissed off. And what's even more annoying, is the Lavender Town ghost tower. It is SO stupid you'd like tear your hair out.

[COLOR=gold]

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Btw if any one cares I am on me to Viridian to beat Geovinni then I off to victory road.

my team so far is as following

Charizard/King
    Lv.58
    ~Slash
    ~Dig
    ~flamethrwor
    ~Maga punch

Gyaradose/Rage
    Lv.56
    ~Surf
    ~Ice beam
    ~Hyper beam
    ~Dragon rage

Dragonite/Allen
    Lv.55
    ~Body Slam
    ~Thunder bolt
    ~Thunder wave
    ~Hyper Beam

Fearow
    Lv.55
    ~ Drill peck
    ~ Leer
    ~ fly
    ~ Mirror move

Butterfree
    Lv.55
    ~Psyichic
    ~Maga drain
    ~Sleep powder
    ~dream eater

~Ryu
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

dude, you have a huge electric weakness. lol

anyway, i haven't really been playing mine much. i'm already losing interest. hahaha i'll probably pick it up randomly like a couple months from now, and be like, "oh...yeah, that's right. i tried the monotype team."

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Pikachu
    dude, you have a huge electric weakness. lol

anyway, i haven't really been playing mine much. i'm already losing interest. hahaha i'll probably pick it up randomly like a couple months from now, and be like, "oh...yeah, that's right. i tried the monotype team."
    his team is a flying team, lol.
    “I always say if you’re going to get shot, do it in a hospital.”
    -House

Advanced Trainer

Yeah, if this were GSC you'd probably want a Gligar in there, and/or possibly a Jumpluff, but there's no getting around some weaknesses in RBY.

Banned

This is my first post since May of 2002, when my internet was taken away. I was "Articuno" and posted mostly in GSCHelp. I've forgotten my password for that since then, and I've changed e-mails since then, so I made a new one.

I beat the game with a grass type team. I clocked in at 16:15 just after my battle with Mewtwo. I had: Venusaur, Victreebel, Tangela, Exeggutor, and Parasect. All of them were at L50 when I beat M2, but I just used Exeggutor. I didn't use Vileplume cause I didn't feel like trading, I wanted to keep it all in Blue (I also have Gold), and it would have added another Grass/Poison to the mix. Plus I didn't want to keep going to my box to get Mew whenever I needed HM 's.

Venusaur-Razor Leaf, Double-Edge, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder

Victreebel-Razor Leaf, Double-Edge, Acid, Sleep Powder

Tangela-Mega Drain, Double-Edge, Swords Dance, Sleep Powder

Exeggutor-Psychic, Mega Drain, Leech Seed, Hypnosis (didn't want to wait till L48 to get it)

Parasect-Slash, Leech Life, Dig, Spore

Mew-Strength, Cut, Fly, Surf

Mew is the best choice for HM slave since you can catch him in Cerulean and he can be taught all the good HM's (duh). The game itself wasn't really that hard. Gary's Charizard was the only real challenge since he uses Fire Spin, which doesn't let the poke use their turn. Besides that, the game wasn't that much of a challenge. I'm thinking of either mastering water or fire next, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Edit: I forgot to mention I used the Missingno. trick for D-E and Mega Drain (duh). I didn't want to, but it was the only way to make Tangela useful. Those were the only times I used the trick (no items, stat uppers, etc.)

Banned

My water team (all under L50, finished during the weekend)

Vaporeon-Surf, Ice Beam, Double-Edge, Sand-Attack
    Tentacruel-Surf,Ice Beam, Mega Drain, Supersonic
    Poliwrath-Earthquake, Body Slam, Seismic Toss, Hypnosis
    Starmie-Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Recover
    Kingler-Crabhammer, Body Slam, Ice Beam, Stomp

I copied Ice Beam and Body Slam to fill out their movesets. They needed them both pretty bad.

My planned normal team (in Cerulean already)

Fearow-Drill Peck, Double-Edge, Hyper Beam, Mirror Move
    Raticate-Super Fang, Hyper Fang (for flinches), Bubblebeam, Dig (forgot if it can learn that)
    Clefable-Psychic, Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, Sing
    Lickitung-Earthquake, Body Slam, Seismic Toss, Supersonic
    Porygon-Tri-Attack, Ice Beam, Sharpen, Recover

Meh, I can't remember what I was gonna use on Lickitung. I'd need to look at my old Red/Blue strategy guide to see what moves he can learn.

I'm only going to have five member teams and Mew for HM'ing. It might be against the rules, but oh well. I'm playing this my way on blue anyway.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

important note: my pointing out the big electric weakness was a joke.

also, im thinking of re-starting over, and doing poison perhaps. i dunno.

nidoking/venusaur/arbok/muk/???

i know there's nidoqueen and weezing, but i would prefer to not use them. what else is there? vilelpume, victreebel....what else?

Advanced Trainer

Golbat and Tentacruel...they'd help vs. Grounds.