Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pokémon Red Nuzlocke Run

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: Pokémon Red Nuzlocke Run

Never give up! Trust your instincts!

for all seasons Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Time View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed. Seriously impressed. You may have potential to beat the entire game, however, I can only imagine your path will get incredibly tough soon (maybe sooner than you realize). Give the Viridian Gym everything you've got (you're probably gonna need to do some more training soon; skipping trainers that you can skip isn't always a good idea), and good luck. You'll absolutely need it there.
    Haha thanks dude! It's this weird dilemma - I know I'm setting myself up for failure, but I can't imagine grinding would make for interesting content so I'm trying to blitz through as quick as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    Never give up! Trust your instincts!
    I saw my life flash before my eyes!

Episode #49: Adi-dos
    We're in the homestretch now, with only a few loose ends standing between us and becoming the Champion. One of those is the admittedly optional Power Plant, and trying to catch the electrifying bird that dwells within. Steel your nerves, lads and ladies, we're going for broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Tony............... I am gutted.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    Haha thanks dude! It's this weird dilemma - I know I'm setting myself up for failure, but I can't imagine grinding would make for interesting content so I'm trying to blitz through as quick as possible.
    No problem. As much as I hope you are successful in finishing your Nuzlocke with a "good" ending (aka becoming the Champion)...it saddens me to say I can simply no longer see that happening. Seeing three of your Pokemon faint and not seeing Zapdos caught probably is the start of more bad news. If you speed through this too quickly, you will set yourself up for failure (I wasn't kidding when I said you needed to train your Pokemon more; with the levels your remaining Pokemon are at, the only way you will have a realistic chance of finishing the game successfully is to build those levels higher and higher. It will definitely be time consuming, but it looks like doing that or accepting the inevitable defeat with your Nuzlocke are your only options. I know I don't like it when I get into a situation where I have to make one of two difficult/unfavorable choices, so I know how you feel here. Just know you have my sympathy if your Nuzlocke comes to a bad end).
    Last edited by Knight of Time; 6th March 2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Master Trainer

Yes, the only thing I'd really add Tony is that if you want a shot at success here... I strongly recommend picking up a few of the TMs you've bypassed, and banking the HMs you'll no longer need so you can fit them. I think there are some like Thunder lying around, which would be ace on Stevie and make her useful against Lorelei.

Barry (hi!) could also stand to gain a few levels, as his speed + attack + signature Fighting-type moves can blast through Giovanni's rock hard defense while allowing him to dodge Fissure and Horn Drill.

See if you can trade that Poliwhirl for Jynx... She and Joe Bevins will be indispensable versus Lance!

Slowpoke could also help in the long run by accessing Psychic-type techniques useful for Bruno, Agatha, and Giovanni. And I think you can trade Slowbro for Lickitung? I don't know that Lickitung would help with any type coverage you haven't already addressed, but he could get you one more closer to the 50 to accessing EXP ALL. At any rate, Slowbro fares well against Lorelei as well.

Could you purchase an Abra from the Game Corner and trade it for the Mr. Mime?

A team of Venusaur, Gyarados, Jolteon, Jynx, Hitmonlee, and Mr. Mime just might work.

We're all rooting for you and Tybalt!

PS Would you um... count the fact that you can fish in Misty's gym to catch something in Cerulean? (And also, technically, any of the gyms if you fish inside their statues because GEN 1. Like Saffron lol)
    Last edited by Magmar; 11th March 2020 at 09:20 AM.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Time View Post
    No problem. As much as I hope you are successful in finishing your Nuzlocke with a "good" ending (aka becoming the Champion)...it saddens me to say I can simply no longer see that happening. Seeing three of your Pokemon faint and not seeing Zapdos caught probably is the start of more bad news. If you speed through this too quickly, you will set yourself up for failure (I wasn't kidding when I said you needed to train your Pokemon more; with the levels your remaining Pokemon are at, the only way you will have a realistic chance of finishing the game successfully is to build those levels higher and higher. It will definitely be time consuming, but it looks like doing that or accepting the inevitable defeat with your Nuzlocke are your only options. I know I don't like it when I get into a situation where I have to make one of two difficult/unfavorable choices, so I know how you feel here. Just know you have my sympathy if your Nuzlocke comes to a bad end).
    I'm thinking I'll get Poot, Joe Bevins and Monster up as close to 40 as I can; the latter two should have enough speed to get the jump on the Elite Four, and Poot can hopefully tank whatever gets the drop on him, then use Leech Seed to recover if and where necessary. I might spend some extra time in Victory Road to help stall before tackling Indigo Plateau!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magmar View Post
    Yes, the only thing I'd really add Tony is that if you want a shot at success here... I strongly recommend picking up a few of the TMs you've bypassed, and banking the HMs you'll no longer need so you can fit them. I think there are some like Thunder lying around, which would be ace on Stevie and make her useful against Lorelei.

Barry (hi!) could also stand to gain a few levels, as his speed + attack + signature Fighting-type moves can blast through Giovanni's rock hard defense while allowing him to dodge Fissure and Horn Drill.

See if you can trade that Poliwhirl for Jynx... She and Joe Bevins will be indispensable versus Lance!

Slowpoke could also help in the long run by accessing Psychic-type techniques useful for Bruno, Agatha, and Giovanni. And I think you can trade Slowbro for Lickitung? I don't know that Lickitung would help with any type coverage you haven't already addressed, but he could get you one more closer to the 50 to accessing EXP ALL. At any rate, Slowbro fares well against Lorelei as well.

Could you purchase an Abra from the Game Corner and trade it for the Mr. Mime?

A team of Venusaur, Gyarados, Jolteon, Jynx, Hitmonlee, and Mr. Mime just might work.

We're all rooting for you and Tybalt!

PS Would you um... count the fact that you can fish in Misty's gym to catch something in Cerulean? (And also, technically, any of the gyms if you fish inside their statues because GEN 1. Like Saffron lol)
    Haha I actually forgot about spending money to buy TM's!! What I'm thinking, is I'll see where I'm at by the time I get through Victory Road, and if need be, fix my roster before going into Indigo Plateau. That way, it won't be as big a deal if any of my regulars die against Moltres... I'll definitely grab Jynx, and probably fish in the Saffron statue! Joe Bevins was my Cerulean catch, so Saffron is the only city left to exploit.

Episode #50: Giovanni Dance and Hold My Hand
    At long last, we've returned to Viridian City, with only one more Gym Leader standing between us and the Pokemon League. But what's this? It's (twenty year old spoiler) Giovanni, feeling frisky after two thorough thrashings. Perhaps our luck has finally run out...!

(Guest starring a certain familiar face!)
    Last edited by Drago; 26th March 2023 at 07:44 PM.

A familiar face? How exciting! Could it be... Mikachu Yukitatsu? Nope, they didn't take my picture...

Ah, awww, good old Magmar.

Seeing Waargh go was super tragic. Especially given the comment of that BlackBelt. Also, I was as startled as you by that Guard Spec..

Master Trainer

Hey Tony! Considering that Gen 1 didn't have item descriptions or anything, it's pretty amazing to look back and realize I had no idea what "Dire Hit" or "Guard Spec." did. I don't even know what "Guard Spec" is meant to reference. Guard Species? Guard Special? Guard Spectators so that Dragonite's Hyper Beam doesn't take out the elder care facility next door?

Knowing Gen 1 mechanics, it probably just doubles the efficacy of Tail Whip.

Thanks for the shoutout! Duh duh duhhhhhhgs is dead

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Episode #51: Roadblock
    With all the badges in our hot little hands, we begin our journey towards Victory Road and the final challenge that awaits. Before we can step foot on that hallowed soil, however, our rival has something else in mind. He's keen to settle the score, once and for all!

Great going! Keep it up! As for today's question, if you are going to do the Gold/Silver Nuzlocke, my vote goes to Totodile. I want to see how you deal with your rival's awesome Meganium!

Episode #52: Victorious Secret
    Now that we've arrived at Victory Road, the last step before the challenge that awaits at Indigo Plateau, the time has come at long last to amend my previous folly. Yep, I'm actually grinding for once! Hopefully then, we'll die slightly slower than before.
    Check out the highlights here!
    Last edited by Drago; 26th September 2020 at 05:37 AM.

Master Trainer

this nuzlocke makes me so happy, but if you're gonna switch out Barry, he better die fighting (and via Metronome hilarity, ha)

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Why didn't that Ninetales go down? JUST WHY

Episode #53: Psychic Sidekick
    Is it just me, or has this game suddenly become a lot harder since I chose to actually battle trainers instead of dodging them with aplomb? In any event, we trek deeper into Victory Road, which is curiously populated by a host of Jugglers. Are you telling me they somehow collected all eight badges, too?!

Master Trainer

MERCURY BUBBLES

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon

You Are Awesome.

Has the game AI gone Magmar? No, it's rather a randomizer.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I laughed at your type balance intro. That's a bit unfair to grass types, though.

Poor Kabuki!

Harm from confusion isn't normal type, it's typeless.

That Double-Slap took quite a while.

That was not a glitch, it was one dumb tamer, using an X-Attack instead of attacking when his Pokemon had about 1 HP left.

Your face when you said you were going to kill the Arcanine with psychic thoughts was scary.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix View Post
    I laughed at your type balance intro. That's a bit unfair to grass types, though.
    Haha it's so true though! The types are so unbalanced. I really wish they had made Grass resistant to Fairy, or even Fairy weak to Grass. At least Venusaur gets the Poison advantage, but still.

Episode #54: Save from the Cave
    With each battle, our heroes edge closer and closer... Either towards their destination of Indigo Plateau, or grim death. The slightest error can result in disaster, we can't afford to get cocky now! Also, I accidentally deleted my face cam footage so instead, you get a photo of me in a dress. Cool.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Now that your camera was off, it looked like your avatar was speaking. Glad you could make it out of there!

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Episode #55: Roast with the Most
    Technically, we're ready to duke it out with the Elite Four, but I'm something of a completionist/idiot, so I figured I'd take my team on one last test drive against the final legendary bird, Moltres. Either this will reaffirm my misplaced confidence, or we'll go down in a blaze of glory.

That was a fun watch. I actually thought you were going to catch Moltres, but I guess only one Legendary in your team is enough, Articuno was my favourite anyway. I also learned something about the usage of the English word 'jelly'. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just remembered I had a dream about your Nuzlocke Run last night, but no details.
    Last edited by Mikachu Yukitatsu; 17th May 2020 at 04:48 AM.

I can't believe you're still going with this thing.
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    That was a fun watch. I actually thought you were going to catch Moltres, but I guess only one Legendary in your team is enough, Articuno was my favourite anyway. I also learned something about the usage of the English word 'jelly'. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just remembered I had a dream about your Nuzlocke Run last night, but no details.
    I was only ever going to take a shot at catching Moltres if I got a paralysis off, after I learnt the hard way during the Zapdos fight that no status afflictions means many missed Poke Balls and many deaths!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
    I can't believe you're still going with this thing.
    It's almost literally the only thing I do other than work nowadays. Sometimes it's therapeutic to shout into the void, y'know?

Episode #56: Meet and Defeat the Elite
    The time has come at long last. After three and a half years of journey and strife, Tybalt has kicked down the Elite Door, ready to duke it out with the Elite Four. We've jobbed the gen 1 AI up to this point, but our luck may have come to its untimely end. There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide... KANTO TURN BACK!!

Episode #57: Ghoulish Goulash
    We're down a beloved team member, but we're also two steps closer to becoming the champion of Kanto. We resume midway through a battle against the wicked Agatha, where two Night Shades spell automatic defeat. The tension is high, as we're on the precipice of disaster at any given moment!

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

You lost to Lance...dude, I told you that you should have leveled up your Pokemon more. Oh well, so sorry your Nuzlocke has ended in defeat for you. I wish you had succeeded in the end...saddens me it didn't happen.

What will you do now?
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Sorry about whoring out Articuno...

*wipes a tear* So touching.

I hope the answer to Knight of Time's question is that you don't give up with these and start another Nuzlocke Run in Gold, Silver or Crystal. Feel free to take your time to recover, though, if you feel like it.

Episode #58: Do It For Him
    New year, new team, new technicality?? Ending the Nuzlocke Challenge in such misery left a poor taste in my mouth, so I've scraped the bottom of the barrel to claim glory from an unlikely source. With most of my resources going towards the starters, it will be an uphill battle for this ragtag group of misfits. ...Fight on, peons! For Daddy Poot!!

Episode #59: Hags and Drags
    The B Team may have successfully dispatched of the first two members of the Elite Four, but the heat is picking up. Agatha and Lance were able to send my initial attempt into a tailspin, and this time, there's no Monster to carry the weight. It could be a case of second verse, same as the verse... or even worse!!

Episode #60: One Last Hurrah
    This is it... the moment we've been waiting all these years for!! Tybalt finally faces off against his questionably named rival, equipped not with his trusty Venusaur, his versatile Haunter, or even his maligned Gyarados. It's up to Sylvanas and her ailing allies to avenge her father and claim glory once and for all. Tally-ho, Bardsley Jr.!!

'Oh okay, all right, you just want to put me to sleep and send a Golbat in there, all right, that happens every time I come into town' lol

And kisses too <3 bad COVID-19 campaign...

But CONGRATULATIONS! Whoa! That was close.