Thread: Your Pokémon memories

Default Your Pokémon memories

Hey everyone!

I was curious to know if there were any users here at The Pokémasters that have any fond memories of their time with Pokémon in the early years of the series, around the years 1998 and 2003 (or any time). I have been fascinated with old photographs and hearing stories about official events, birthday parties, holiday gifts, and other personal memories people may have to share. I'd love to read about them, and share in that nostalgia with people.

If you have anything to share here, or any photographs to connect some of those memories caught on film, i'd love to see them!

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: Your Pokémon memories

I'll have to rise at least three Kanto Episodes:

1) Pokemon Emergency!
    My first Pokemon episode. Released on Finnish TV somewhere during Autumn 1999, it was my first encounter with the series. That's right, I didn't learn about Pokemon until then, I even missed the news about Electric Soldier Porygon (dark chapther in Pokemon history, I know) back in 1997 because I was a 12-year old kid and didn't follow the events.

2) Bye Bye Butterfree
    This is the first Pokemon eppie I taped. This tradition continued for years. If I remember correctly, that's also the last time PokeRap was shown on Finnish TV due to an issue with young children bringing their Pokemon TCG Cards to schools.

3) Princess VS Princess
    I was a big fan of Misty back there, so, as I have told here at TPM before, I watched the episode 7 times during the same day.

May I add I was super perplexed when Johto Joureys began here in Finland. You see, it was 2001, and they skipped Friends to the End AND the entire Orange League!!

As far as the games were concerned, I bought Gameboy Advance and Pokemon Red in 2001...

These weren't my only Pokemon memories, not probably even the foundest ones, but they come to my mind first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    I'll have to rise at least three Kanto Episodes:

1) Pokemon Emergency!
    My first Pokemon episode. Released on Finnish TV somewhere during Autumn 1999, it was my first encounter with the series. That's right, I didn't learn about Pokemon until then, I even missed the news about Electric Soldier Porygon (dark chapther in Pokemon history, I know) back in 1997 because I was a 12-year old kid and didn't follow the events.

2) Bye Bye Butterfree
    This is the first Pokemon eppie I taped. This tradition continued for years. If I remember correctly, that's also the last time PokeRap was shown on Finnish TV due to an issue with young children bringing their Pokemon TCG Cards to schools.

3) Princess VS Princess
    I was a big fan of Misty back there, so, as I have told here at TPM before, I watched the episode 7 times during the same day.

May I add I was super perplexed when Johto Joureys began here in Finland. You see, it was 2001, and they skipped Friends to the End AND the entire Orange League!!

As far as the games were concerned, I bought Gameboy Advance and Pokemon Red in 2001...

These weren't my only Pokemon memories, not probably even the foundest ones, but they come to my mind first.
    Sorry, but do you live/were living in Japan back then? The episode Electric Soldier Porygon didn't make it outside of Japan. I didn't see the episode myself until this year, but averted my eyes as much as possible just in case there were some issues

As for the other episodes, they're classics! I re-watched the anime last year with the blu-ray release that came out in the UK, but this isn't the entire Kanto journey, so I need to watch everything that followed that. I'd love to give the Orange Islands another go!

Thank you for sharing them

Nope, I have never been to Japan. What I meant I didn't follow the news frequently enough when I was 12 years old. The Porygon incident did take place in 1997, and I think the news did reach outside Japan.

Nope, I have never been to Japan. What I meant I didn't follow the news frequently enough when I was 12 years old. The Porygon incident did take place in 1997, and I think the news did reach outside Japan.
    Ah OK thanks for clarifying!

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

Back in 2000 there was a big Pokémon event in Vienna, Austria and I participated. It was an eight round KO event with 256 participants. I was by far the oldest one entrant (most others being young kids with their parents), and I made it to the finals where a 14 or so year old demolished me. The final was in front of a big crowd in front of the city hall. The winner got a Gameboy Color, I got a cap and shirt. I don't have those anymore, but it's still a nice memory. A friend of mine who had also taken part, still has his entry number from back then.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian ViceMaster Alex View Post
    Back in 2000 there was a big Pokémon event in Vienna, Austria and I participated. It was an eight round KO event with 256 participants. I was by far the oldest one entrant (most others being young kids with their parents), and I made it to the finals where a 14 or so year old demolished me. The final was in front of a big crowd in front of the city hall. The winner got a Gameboy Color, I got a cap and shirt. I don't have those anymore, but it's still a nice memory. A friend of mine who had also taken part, still has his entry number from back then.
    Hey this is such an awesome memory! But I have to wonder, how come you don't have those cool items any more?

Quote Originally Posted by JohtoTimes View Post
    Hey this is such an awesome memory! But I have to wonder, how come you don't have those cool items any more?
    They always reminded me of my humiliating defeat! The disastrous performance of my Alakazam in the finale, getting defeated by a fat, lazy Snorlax!

Honestly though, I don't remember what happened to those things. I guess the nostalgia wasn't that strong back then.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Nifty darn comics

They always reminded me of my humiliating defeat! The disastrous performance of my Alakazam in the finale, getting defeated by a fat, lazy Snorlax!

Honestly though, I don't remember what happened to those things. I guess the nostalgia wasn't that strong back then.
    That's a shame. Any photographs from the event?

That's a shame. Any photographs from the event?
    No, I didn't have a camera with me or anything. It was also before smart phones (with cameras), so all that remains are the memories.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Nifty darn comics

No, I didn't have a camera with me or anything. It was also before smart phones (with cameras), so all that remains are the memories.
    Ah, so no way to evidence it, that's too bad. Obviously I take your word for it, but yeah...it sucks there's nothing there to share with others about your great achievement!

Ah, so no way to evidence it, that's too bad. Obviously I take your word for it, but yeah...it sucks there's nothing there to share with others about your great achievement!
    This link is the only evidence I found online that event even happened at all, it's all in German though.

https://www.pressetext.com/news/20000627025
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Nifty darn comics

Ah thanks for sharing that!

for all seasons Moderator

One of my favourite Pokemon memories was heading out to a shopping mall for the special Mew promotion. It was in 1999, when the franchise was white hot, and the line was massive. They had performers singing songs from the anime, though nobody waiting for their Mew was game enough to join in.

I received two of the mythical creature that day. One would become a staple of my team in Pokemon Yellow, while the Pokemon Blue one was ruined by being relegated to an HM slave. I was not a very intelligent kid, to be honest.

There's not as much coverage on Poke Tour 1999 as I expected, so I'm a little tempted to write an article about my experience... I don't know if I have much to say beyond what I've already mentioned here, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Back in 2001, I somehow associated the Finnish high school 'lukio' with 'Lugia'. On the same day the comprehesive school ended, Showdown at the Po-ke Corral was shown on TV, and in that episode, Ash said that there were two months until Pokemon League would begin, much akin to my entering lukio. Even the process accepting us to the school was Pokemon-themed, although the thing was just a joke. 'Abimon' refers here to those who were on the third class of lukio and 'Ökömon' to those who were on the first class. I can't believe I still have this paper as a memory!

I also have 2 Mews on my copy of Pokemon Red. I didn't get them directly through an event though, I got them from a TPMer named ILikePokemon;P in Australia. I sent my game to the member of our forum who was advertising his service in his signature.
    Last edited by Mikachu Yukitatsu; 8th August 2023 at 12:06 AM. Reason: correcting the translation

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    One of my favourite Pokemon memories was heading out to a shopping mall for the special Mew promotion. It was in 1999, when the franchise was white hot, and the line was massive. They had performers singing songs from the anime, though nobody waiting for their Mew was game enough to join in.

I received two of the mythical creature that day. One would become a staple of my team in Pokemon Yellow, while the Pokemon Blue one was ruined by being relegated to an HM slave. I was not a very intelligent kid, to be honest.

There's not as much coverage on Poke Tour 1999 as I expected, so I'm a little tempted to write an article about my experience... I don't know if I have much to say beyond what I've already mentioned here, though!
    That's a very cool memory, thanks so much for sharing!

Back in 2001, I somehow associated the Finnish high school 'lukio' with 'Lugia'. On the same day the comprehesive school ended, Showdown at the Po-ke Corral was shown on TV, and in that episode, Ash said that there were two months until Pokemon League would begin, much akin to my entering lukio. Even the process accepting us to the school was Pokemon-themed, although the thing was just a joke. 'Abimon' refers here to those who were on the third class of lukio and 'Ökömon' to those who were on the first class. I can't believe I still have this paper as a memory!

I also have 2 Mews on my copy of Pokemon Red. I didn't get them directly through an event though, I got them from a TPMer named ILikePokemon;P in Australia. I sent my game to the member of our forum who was advertising his service in his signature.
    I'm amazed you still have the original paper from back then! Wonderful memories, thanks for sharing them!

'Abimon' refers here to those who were on the third class of lukio and 'Ökömon' to those who were on the first class.
    Sorry about my bad English here, looks like I'm giving the wrong impression, though I think you got what I meant. Abimon were at the third grade and Ökömon were at the first grade.

Sorry about my bad English here, looks like I'm giving the wrong impression, though I think you got what I meant. Abimon were at the third grade and Ökömon were at the first grade.
    Ah yes I understand now, thank you!