Thread: Language selection in Pokemon games

Hybrid View

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Question Language selection in Pokemon games

Language selection has been a feature in Pokemon games for a while (even if they don't let you change the language once you've chosen one). So this question goes to everyone who has played one or more Pokemon games in which this feature was present.

What language did you choose, and why? (If you have chosen different languages for different games, please list them all, along with your reasons.)

In my case, I have always chosen English because it was the language of my first few Pokemon games (and TPM, which is where I talk about Pokemon games the most), and thus I have learnt the names of all the moves in English, and re-learning them in another language, even in my own language, would be more trouble than it's worth.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Default Re: Language selection in Pokemon games

I only speak English so that's the language I always go with when games give you the option to choose.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

I Finnished last Moderator

Just like you, Lady Vulpix, I play Pokemon mostly in English because it was the original Pokemon language for me. I say mostly because there have been two exceptions: I once had a Japanese Pokemon Green on an emulator and then I have Pokemon Stadium 2 for Nintendo 64 in German. I even did a chart for the German moves used for the game.

When it comes to Final Fantasy though, I usually first play the game in English at least once, and then try the original Jap version. That's why I have Japanese versions of many Final Fantasy series games.

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

It varies for me. One time I pick German, another time English. Whichever I feel like really.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I have played several of them in Spanish, but I played this one in English.

Now we have a European Spanish and a Latin American Spanish to choose from too. Yay choices!

I really enjoyed playing Gen 7 in Spanish... It's lacking a lot of the annoying Hawaiian stereotyping found in the dialogue, and Team Skull's rhymes are both cleverer and funnier in the Spanish version. It's a much more sophisticated story. English ports of, well, most things seem to be watered down to talk to a much younger audience.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Oh, I forgot my most logical argument. Other than Finnish, English is my best language so it's safest to me to play Pokemon in English.

for all seasons Moderator

I'd love to give Pokemon games a whirl in other languages, but I feel like the fact that you're locked into it permanently is too much of a commitment.

I could give Japanese a go, help brush up on my skills there, or maybe French or Korean. After all, that's how a lot of people improve, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    I'd love to give Pokemon games a whirl in other languages, but I feel like the fact that you're locked into it permanently is too much of a commitment.

I could give Japanese a go, help brush up on my skills there, or maybe French or Korean. After all, that's how a lot of people improve, right?
    I agree. It would be great if the games had the option to switch languages at any time.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    Do they usually teach French in Canada? Here in Finland, English and Swedish are the ones that are compulsory for everyone, or at least back when I was at school. Nowadays it has been suggested for us to be able to choose Russian instead of Swedish, especially in eastern Finland. We also have a minority of Sami people, but nobody is really required to know their language, although we have news on Sami on TV on weekdays

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    Do they usually teach French in Canada? Here in Finland, English and Swedish are the ones that are compulsory for everyone, or at least back when I was at school. Nowadays it has been suggested for us to be able to choose Russian instead of Swedish, especially in eastern Finland. We also have a minority of Sami people, but nobody is really required to know their language, although we have news on Sami on TV on weekdays
    In Austria French is usually the third language taught in school.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV