Thread: Do you think the Resident Evil series kind of sucks now?

Thumbs down Do you think the Resident Evil series kind of sucks now?

RE 4 (5 and 6 too) is what I think killed the series. I've never disliked RE 4 as an action game, but it's exactly that - it's a boring action game. There was no tension to be had.

The thing is too, that RE 4 rendered the older games kind of pointless, because every game had a story around what this Umbrella company was doing, and RE 4 disregarded all of that in the first few minutes.

RE 7 was a return to form, but it really felt like we'd seen it all before. There was also a major lack of enemy types. There's just the "Molded" and a family that hunts you down. RE 1 had zombies, scaly creatures called Hunters, a swarm of bees, dogs, spiders, sharks, Lisa Trevor, a Tyrant, and more.

The RE 2 remake, while good, was also severely lacking. The DLC was pretty rank, and the game itself omitted a lot of locations and enemies from the original. It was nothing like the 2002 GameCube remake at all, which was essentially the original game, but 1000 times better. Now I hear they're making Project Resistance, which is basically a bland and shallow co-op spin off game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpG7jPpLh4

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: Do you think the Resident Evil series kind of sucks now?

Maybe that's just what happens when a series has run its course? Resident Evil started in an era where gaming had made the seismic shift to 3D, and was able to explore new concepts and gameplay elements that had never been done before.

What else can you do, really? RE4 made the bold choice to shift the genre, but eventually, there's only so many ways you can tackle the same concept. Most modern survival horror games thrive on isolation and a feeling of helplessness. That was never so much Resident Evil's jam, and while it worked for a while, maybe there just isn't a place for it in gaming right now?

That being said, I think it could still get some run if they lean more heavily into the VR aspect. It's the perfect fit, and RE7 was a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Surprise Re: Do you think the Resident Evil series kind of sucks now?

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I think the Resident Evil series turned aways from survival horror once it's changed its format more into flashy shooters starting RE4.
    That said, I really hated RE5 and 6. The one due to the buggy co-op, the other due to it being separated into different stories and its ridiculous bosses.

The archaic and clunky controls of the earlier games along with the narrow corridors and non-open-view static backgrounds made fighting and survival more difficult and exciting to me. RE are good shooters now but the horror only re-appeared with RE7.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Well, the remake for Resident Evil 2 certainly felt like a return to the series' horror roots while maintaining some of the action elements. While some of the charm was lost on areas later in the game compared to the original, they more than made up for it with how threatening the enemies have become, especially Mr.X and Birkin. Admittedly there was a lot more they could have done with DLC

Hopefully REmake3 can keep that momentum going. Nemesis is already looking extra freaky.

I Finnished last Moderator

The only Resident Evil game I have tried was the first one for Sega Saturn. I'm not very much into horror games, particularly zombies are not my cup of tea. Which Resident Evil game would be the best for a beginner like me? Not too difficult, not too violent I think?

TIL Resident Evil was on the Sega Saturn.

Bow before my knowledge, DragoKnight!

lul don't do it, I respect you more than that. I only knew this because my neighbour had Saturn in Haapavesi.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I think if you want to ease into RE, then the older games would be the best (RE1 in any of its forms, original RE2 and 3). RE2 in particular has a pretty tame assortment of regular enemies (even the bosses, including Mr.X, aren't too crazy)

Thanks! I'll look up Ebay for the Saturn version to get the most retro fun.

The RE3 remake is going to be released on 3 April. While it looks like a decent game, Jill and Carlos and most of the other characters, look pretty uninspired. Chris in RE7 looks particularly bad, with his slim body and blonde hair.