Thread: Whatchu watchin homie

for all seasons Moderator

Exclamation Whatchu watchin homie

こんばんはみんなさん!

Let's talk some anime, yo.

What would you recommend? I've started binging anime by the bucketload because a) there's so much good shit and b) it's kinda my job nowadays.

I've really gotten into Dr. Stone, but I'm trying to also take in more obscure things. Two episodes into Gravitation, which is twenty years old already and that blows my mind.

I've tried watching some single season anime because the lower episode count is less of a commitment, but tbh it breaks my heart when it ends. I thoroughly enjoyed Actually I Am, Yuri On Ice and Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat, and halfway through Gamers. Also in the early stages of Haikyuu and Kuroko's Basketball, but those will take a looooooong time to finish.

Oh, and finally up to date on My Hero Academia!

Shit dude, anime's just lots of fun.

Shameless plug: my latest piece about Akira's 30th anniversary in Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: Whatchu watchin homie

I worship Code Geass, still adore Sailor Moon (not Crystal) have hate/love relationship with Naruto, always remember Death Note, among others.

I'm currently following good old Yu-Gi-Oh! and Gintama.

Both slow and hasty series have good and bad points. Fillers give some time to concentrate on the characters and learn about their traits while in some series you are completely dropped off if you skip any episode.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I'm currently watching The Seven Deadly Sins. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first season. I'm enjoying it so far.

How is Neon Genesis Evangelion? I was thinking of maybe starting that after I finish with TSDS.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a cult anime, if that's the correct English expression. It's quite hard to understand at times. We had it on Finnish TV in 2005-2006 or so. I love the opening, if anything.

I still don't get it why they stopped showing anime on Finnish TV. Fortunately we have the Internet full of streaming services.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I know it has a cult following. That is why I was asking first if its any good. I'll hate to start and end up not liking the first few episodes because than I'll feel compel to finish it even though I don't like it.

' 3 ' Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Oh man, I haven't been catching up on anime for a while already, but lesse...

Anime is pretty big pool to jump into, I guess it would if you're asking for recommendation it would help to look at genre/type of story you'd be interested in? Tho from the ones you mentioned, seems like sport anime is right up your alley. Not really into much sport anime myself, but my friend was just raving about Ping Pong The Animation. The art style might be a bit different, but I like it. Story is pretty good too.

I would recommend these two short episodes anime, tho (both just at 6 episodes): FLCL and Golden Boy. The former is a non stop insanity (with a kickass background music to boot - giving it a sort of a music video feel to it), and the latter is just hilarious.

FLCL music video

Short scene from Golden Boy

I will stand by the english dub of these two, one of the few dubs that I think adds to the watching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fett One View Post
    I know it has a cult following. That is why I was asking first if its any good. I'll hate to start and end up not liking the first few episodes because than I'll feel compel to finish it even though I don't like it.
    Eva is a pretty hard anime to recommend to. Sure on the surface it looks like a typical giant robot anime, but it's more of a psychological trip I would say. Heard the director (Hideaki Anno) was kinda using the series as a way to tackle his own battle with depression. Haven't watched it in a while, but I remember my first impression of watching the whole series going 'what just happened??'. I only 'get' it on subsequent watching, but it maybe because I'm an unsophisticated teenager when I first watched it lol

I have heard that it might actually be better to watch the Rebuild movies (Evangelion 1.11 and Evangelion 2.22 - both being remake of parts of the original series) if you're not sure if you want to invest in the whole series.
    Please take it easy~

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by darktyranitar View Post
    Eva is a pretty hard anime to recommend to. Sure on the surface it looks like a typical giant robot anime, but it's more of a psychological trip I would say. Heard the director (Hideaki Anno) was kinda using the series as a way to tackle his own battle with depression. Haven't watched it in a while, but I remember my first impression of watching the whole series going 'what just happened??'. I only 'get' it on subsequent watching, but it maybe because I'm an unsophisticated teenager when I first watched it lol

I have heard that it might actually be better to watch the Rebuild movies (Evangelion 1.11 and Evangelion 2.22 - both being remake of parts of the original series) if you're not sure if you want to invest in the whole series.
    Sounds like I should pass on watching this. I guess, I'll find something else to watch.

A while ago, I watched the remaining Hunter x Hunter episodes, a project I had put on hold aeons ago. It was worth watching, although it got very slow when (Spoiler:) they infiltrated the Royal Palace. Particularly episode 136 was very touching, although there were so many tears in this series already.

Now I'm going to get more acquainted with FullMetal Alchemist of perhaps continue Yu-Gi-Oh!

Ironically, almost a year after starting this thread and talking about how I was watching season 1 of Dr. Stone, I'm now watching...

Season 1 of Dr. Stone again. Gotta get material for an article I'm writing. Fortunately it's a very watchable show, easy to start over.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

The anime that I'm currently watching are

World trigger: Its a story where creatures(humans and other creatures) called as neighbors attack people on earth to extract something like chakra(from Naruto). And use it to increase their military strength. I'd recommend everyone to watch it. Its interesting as of now. Just now completed 49th episode and the series is still as interesting as it was from the first episode.
    Yowamushi pedal Glory Line(season 4) : it's been one of my favorite sports anime. It's related to cycling. Can't wait to see who wins the inter high.

Dragon ball super: I think I don't need to tell about this as it is one of the popular anime nowadays and almost every anime filler list fan will watch it.

One piece: yeah this one is also one of the most popular ones. So don't want to tell much about this one

First and foremost welcome to TPM.

One Piece you say?!? I only know its about finding a pirate treasure and the main character can extend his limbs ridiculously.

Seriously, I know I'm having a huge gap in my knowledge, but I don't have the time to watch 900+ episodes. However, I have been waiting for someone to convince me to do so.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    First and foremost welcome to TPM.

One Piece you say?!? I only know its about finding a pirate treasure and the main character can extend his limbs ridiculously.

Seriously, I know I'm having a huge gap in my knowledge, but I don't have the time to watch 900+ episodes. However, I have been waiting for someone to convince me to do so.
    I have a friend who likes One Piece and has tried to get me to watch it. The high episode count is why I won't watch it.

I just started watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time the other day. I'm up to episode 22. So far I've been enjoying it.

I have never watched Yu Yu Hakusho either, and I'm the Anime Moderator here. I'm now at Ep 30 in Full Metal Alchemist. After I have watched that, I'll continue Yu-Gi-Oh! or start Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I would recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I thought that was better than the original. If I remember correctly, the first 10 or so episodes are a condense retelling of the first 18-20 episodes of the original series but after that, it's a completely different story-line.

As for Yu-Gi-Oh!, I never watched beyond the original series, which aired on KidsWB on Saturday mornings, so I can't comment on any of the other shows in the series.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood follows the manga more accurately, I have read it copies the jokes even too slavishly at times.

Yu Yu Hakusho is great. It has a lot of the tropes of its time, but it's actually aged pretty well, overall.

Is there a character in Yu Yu Hakusho whose personality is like Gaara from Naruto, or have I misunderstood something?

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I watch some old Fist of the North Star episodes now and then cause sometimes Youtube suggests them to me.

I'm really not into anime anymore...
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I finished Yu Yu Hakusho earlier in the week. I liked it but didn't care for the change in voices for the movie. Was there a reason for the voice changes?

I just started watching Bleach. So far I've watched the first 3 episodes and like what I've seen so far.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I finished Bleach back towards the end of June. I liked the show for the most part but found it annoying that they kept switching storylines mid storyline. I don't know how the show lasted as long as it did pulling that nonsense. That was the one thing I really didn't like about the show.

Right now, I'm watching the current season of My Hero Academia and Digimon Adventures. I'm enjoying both shows and would recommend them to anyone that hasn't started either show.

Currently towards the end of One Punch Man at the moment. I'm sure this has been mentioned countless times, but this anime deserved more than two seasons for sure.

Having completed both FMA and the original Yu-Gi-Oh! earlier this year, I finally had time to watch through the good old Pokemon Orange League, the arc my country Finland originally skipped. It wasn't any worse than Kanto in my opinion. I have moved to Diamond and Pearl now, but it appears a bit dull in the beginning so I may drop it for Best Wishes! or entirely another anime in the future. [I do have watched Pokemon XY(Z) years ago]

I started Rent-a-Girlfriend yesterday. Fun series, a bit different from what I usually watch.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Currently, I'm watching Goblin Slayer, The Kingdoms of Ruin, and the new Rurouni Kenshin.

I'm also watching Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War, but the season just ended. I'm also waiting for the final episode of Attack on Titan to finally air.

I am currently completely obsessed with The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You.

It's just fun. And sweet. And goofy.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

I found myself with some free time recently so I ended up binge watching The Rising of the Shield Hero. It's not bad.

I also started watching Shangri-La Frontier. It's an interesting concept.

Been watching Best Wishes! Season 2 lately. I plan to start Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood later this year, as my schedule clears up.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    Been watching Best Wishes! Season 2 lately. I plan to start Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood later this year, as my schedule clears up.
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is good. You should like it.