Thread: SUB V DUB

Hybrid View

I Finnished last Moderator

Default SUB V DUB

The eternal battle, which one do you prefer?

As for myself, it depends. Back in the days we had more anime on Finnish television, most Finnish dubs were bad. Pokemon had its flaws, the first voice actors of Digimon didn't know how to empathise (the cast was changed later).

When it comes to English dubs, Code Geass and Death Note were... decent. I WILL OBLITERATE BRITANNIA!

It's really pretty much about the translation and localization. I have also realized I'm into some challenge when I watch anime, Finnish dubbing is boring, but some Swedish, French and Spanish adaptations of familiar animes are refreshing.

Jedi Hunter Moderator

Default Re: SUB V DUB

I prefer Dub because it's easier to focus on what's going on without having to divide my attention by reading the subtitles. With that being said, I do watch subtitled animes if the show isn't out in English yet and I don't feel like waiting for it to come out.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

That's a good point, Fett One. But as you know, I'm not a native English speaker, and it's somewhat easier for me to figure out what they are saying when I have the English text backing it up. On the other hand, watching a sub forces me to deal with three languages instead of just two, as there are next to no anime with Finnish subtitles. I mostly watch my anime in Japanese, with English subtitles.

Still, I must thank the Swedish version of Sailor Moon for saving my interest in my western neighbour's language. We had Sailor Moon here in Finland in Swedish, with Finnish subtitles below. That was not the only good thing about the old Swedish dub. For instance the Henshin (transformation) scenes weren't edited like they would have been in the English version.

Last edited by Mikachu Yukitatsu; 27th December 2020 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    On the other hand, watching a sub forces me to deal with three languages instead of just two, as there are next to no anime with Finnish subtitles. I mostly watch my anime in Japanese, with English subtitles.
    Note that I wrote this before I registered in Netflix. All anime in Finnish Netflix come with Finnish subtitles, and the translations are good enough. I say enough because sometimes you can taste the haste of the translators, although Finnish actually resembles Japanese more than you would guess at first.

Pokemon is an exception, that's dubbed, for some odd reason.