Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Colosseum in general

Default Pokemon Colosseum in general

Do you find this game has no replay value once you've got all the Pokemon and transfered then to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire? It's like you don't feel like going through the whole story again just for some Pokemon with better Personalities. You could say it has the Cups to do but once they're all over there's nothing left on the game to do really. Battling friends can be done on your GBA without having to be a GameCube and all the link up equipment. You know like the Pokemon Stadium games had the Gym Leader Castle, Mini Games, Pokemon School, and Speeded up Pokemon games on the TV. Don't you feel disappointed about Pokemon Colosseum for only giving you about 20 hours of game play and they call it an RPG?

Banned

For me, the only replay value any of the Stadiums had were the bonuses you could get(Move Tutor, Special Pokemon, etc.), so it's all the same to me. In Stadium 2(3), the minigames sucked, the school was just an annoyance, and everything cheated, so who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudoku
    In Stadium 2(3), the minigames sucked, the school was just an annoyance, and everything cheated, so who cares?
    But you still got more for your money in the Pokemon Stadium games. A lot people should care if they're using their money to buy the game and it's going to waste.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andyizcool
    But you still got more for your money in the Pokemon Stadium games. A lot people should care if they're using their money to buy the game and it's going to waste.
    If you really think about it, no they didn't. Remember, N64 games were 70-80 bucks a pop. But that's not the point. I only bought them for the main draw: battling better opponents than in-game trainers. They delivered. Do I care about something that I won't use? The classroom was a one-shot deal, the only good minigame was the Lickitung game in Stadium 1 (which made that worth the purchase). Faster GB speeds? Dodou mode works for R/B/Y, but Dodrio mode is necessary for G/S/C due to it being very slow in the first place. In Stadium 1, yeah it's great beat R1 and get Dodrio mode for R2 training. In Stadium 2(3), you had to beat the entire game to get Dodrio mode, defeating the purpose of it.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

One feature that I found very useful in the Stadiums was the much-expanded Pokédex. Places where you can hook pokémon with a Rod weren't marked in the game's Pokédex until Ruby/Sapphire, but it Stadium 2 I can see where they can be caught, which Rod to use, how common they are, what levels they'll be, and what time of day they can be caught if it matters. It would have been quite nice to have that sort of feature in Colloseum...but guess what?

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Probably... it loses much replay value after getting all the Shadows, Purifying and getting Ho-Oh, and it'll lose much more when Fire/Leaf are released. You know, only the 3 GSC starters and maybe Ho-Oh (For regular people, henceforth, people that'll be unable to get the FR/LG Ticket.), and another ones I forgot are Colosseum exclusive. The fact is that Nintendo didn't put enough effort in this game... even so, it's a great game.

The concept of stealing Pokémon is one any game will be able to emulate again, and the concept of actually "Evil" Pokémon is another one... they should be supported, as they make Pokémon more serious and interesting. The Colosseum Cups are few, and there's no Round 2, but I think it's better that way. If only they had made this game closer to Stadium 1... the RPG took off a bunch of what they could have done. But it was nice to have a sight at a 3D Pokémon RPG.

And well, about the Battling part, I'll differ big time. I'd rather spend another small bundle on getting two GBA-GCN Cables in order to enjoy better looking battles...but more important,FASTER battles in Colosseum! The GBA Link Battles are AWFULLY SLOW!!! The text goes in such a slow speed it's sure to make you mad! Certain effects and animations take TOO much time in the GBA (Leftovers, anyone?), and add to that the Link Standby and the slow text...they're TOO SLOW! The relatively small link-up waiting in Colosseum is worth it in order to enjoy faster, better-looking battles. That speed advantage makes Colosseum Link Battles WAY better than GBA Link Battles...again maybe that was fixed in FR/LG, but I still prefer 3D Battles to flat ones, even if the Pokémon look really well in the GBA... and the cables are not that expensive. An extra Transfer Pack was worth an extra Pokémon Stadium...unless you got it second-handed.

Now, I preferred Colosseum over Stadium 2... Colosseum is fair at the very least. As Rudoku expressed, Stadium 2 was a waste. Too frigging long, and the PC Cheated to no end (You: GSC fixed CH Ratio. CPU: RBY Critical Hit Ratio...). Colosseum might abuse 00bers in the final Cups, but that's at least a SKILL Pokémon have, and it'll have the same chances as you. The Stadium 2 not only abused 00bers, but cheated. The biggest frustration of the Stadium 2 is the damn Challenge Cup. I hate this thing so much I better stop it before I start a 5-page long rant! The School and the Mini-Games were OK, though, but well...the game is frustrating at best.

At the end, you can try the Colosseum Cups again in order to practice, and to find a weakness on 00bers. And Colosseum Link Battle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GBA Link Battle...

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Replay value? Hell, I couldn't even finish the damn thing.

I'm sure the Pokemon Colosseum AI in Battle Mode do a lot of cheating because everytime they get Critical Hits sometimes maybe without the Scope Lens even. In the Story Mode it seriously bored me because the only thing that kept me going was thinking I would get these Pokemon onto Pokemon Sapphire and get more of the Pokedex filled when I gained the National Pokedex. The thing is once you've played Story Mode you're glad it's over and don't want to play it again. If you look at decent Role Playing Games once you complete them you want to play them again because they were so good.

Do you find this game has no replay value once you've got all the Pokemon and transfered then to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire?
    Word. I beat it 6 days after I got it and haven't played since.

The #1 thing it's lacking is Mini-Games.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Probably... it loses much replay value after getting all the Shadows, Purifying and getting Ho-Oh, and it'll lose much more when Fire/Leaf are released. You know, only the 3 GSC starters and maybe Ho-Oh (For regular people, henceforth, people that'll be unable to get the FR/LG Ticket.), and another ones I forgot are Colosseum exclusive. The fact is that Nintendo didn't put enough effort in this game... even so, it's a great game.

The concept of stealing Pokémon is one any game will be able to emulate again, and the concept of actually "Evil" Pokémon is another one... they should be supported, as they make Pokémon more serious and interesting. The Colosseum Cups are few, and there's no Round 2, but I think it's better that way. If only they had made this game closer to Stadium 1... the RPG took off a bunch of what they could have done. But it was nice to have a sight at a 3D Pokémon RPG.

And well, about the Battling part, I'll differ big time. I'd rather spend another small bundle on getting two GBA-GCN Cables in order to enjoy better looking battles...but more important,FASTER battles in Colosseum! The GBA Link Battles are AWFULLY SLOW!!! The text goes in such a slow speed it's sure to make you mad! Certain effects and animations take TOO much time in the GBA (Leftovers, anyone?), and add to that the Link Standby and the slow text...they're TOO SLOW! The relatively small link-up waiting in Colosseum is worth it in order to enjoy faster, better-looking battles. That speed advantage makes Colosseum Link Battles WAY better than GBA Link Battles...again maybe that was fixed in FR/LG, but I still prefer 3D Battles to flat ones, even if the Pokémon look really well in the GBA... and the cables are not that expensive. An extra Transfer Pack was worth an extra Pokémon Stadium...unless you got it second-handed.

Now, I preferred Colosseum over Stadium 2... Colosseum is fair at the very least. As Rudoku expressed, Stadium 2 was a waste. Too frigging long, and the PC Cheated to no end (You: GSC fixed CH Ratio. CPU: RBY Critical Hit Ratio...). Colosseum might abuse 00bers in the final Cups, but that's at least a SKILL Pokémon have, and it'll have the same chances as you. The Stadium 2 not only abused 00bers, but cheated. The biggest frustration of the Stadium 2 is the damn Challenge Cup. I hate this thing so much I better stop it before I start a 5-page long rant! The School and the Mini-Games were OK, though, but well...the game is frustrating at best.

At the end, you can try the Colosseum Cups again in order to practice, and to find a weakness on 00bers. And Colosseum Link Battle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GBA Link Battle...
    Actually, I found Stadium 2(3) easier than Colosseum's cups o.0

It has very low replay value, maybe I'll play it once more to get some females I didn't and might get a decent Suicune. And yeah, the GBA goes sooooo slow when it comes to link battles.

But I'll have to disagree with Orion. Stadium 2 was the peak in pkmn besides GSC. It was long, but it was sure enjoyable. It required skill, since it had the baby cup (which I love), the poke cup, prime cup with ur prized pkmn from the gb, and the challenge cup, which would finally test ur abilities. I found the school to be very useful to learn few new things such as items combinations, combos, etc, and they were good battles. The Castle, where u got to fight with the 16 gym leaders of Johto and Kanto, and then meeting Red. Then there's the Lab with the pokedex, boxes, trading machine; the Minigames, I found them to be really entertaining... my brother and I used to spend afternoons playing the minigames, the ones with Hitmontop, Mr. Mime, Chansey, Scizor and Togepi! and the best was that u could use your own pkmn from the GB!

Then there are the graphics. Sure, the Colosseum ones look smooth and rounded, but have you seen the attacks? Ancient Power were rocks shooting out of the floor with cool sound and visual effects. Thunderbolt was a nice round jolt of electricity. Safeguard, Light Screen, Reflect, they all looked great. Now they're either little rocks or some electricity hitting the pkmn, or standard colors going up and down. And you could register teams, for all cups, not just one.

To be honest, I expected this game to be a lot better than it is. I'm glad I bought it used for 45 bucks including the link cable... paying the 70 bucks for a new one would have been a waste of money.
    [Insertcreativeandcolorfulsignaturehere]

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return"

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    ---------------------------------
    The sandstorm rages.
    Suicune is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja fainted! :rolleyes2
    XD

But I'll have to disagree with Orion. Stadium 2 was the peak in pkmn besides GSC. It was long, but it was sure enjoyable. It required skill, since it had the baby cup (which I love), the poke cup, prime cup with ur prized pkmn from the gb, and the challenge cup, which would finally test ur abilities.
    Yes. Stadium 2 was more satisfying. I beat story mode and realized that I don't care enough to play the stadium cups. Mount Battle was enough for me, actually. If Colosseum had Mini-Games it would be a LOT better, but it doesn't, so...

And getting Ho-oh is a pain in the neck. If you're going to put in a secret like that, they shouldn't make it as tedious. It took me long enough to beat both Story Mode and Mount Battle, and now they want me to do it again? I don't think so.

The reason why Stadium 2 was the best was because it had great replay value and diverse enough cups to make each one not like the rest. It made you WANT to battle.

The reason why Gold & Silver are the best (in my opinion, at least) is because once you beat the game, you still had an entirely new game to play. Again, it had terrific replay value. While you replay an old game (RB), it's completely different (since it's 3 years later). GS offered something unique that RS was lacking. If you could go back to Kanto and Johto it would have been the best, easily. The best part about any game is the replay value. It is the MOST important aspect of any video game.

Take NCAA Football for instance. Because of its Dynasty mode, you can play an unlimited number of seasons with the EXACT SAME opponents and not get bored. Why? Because your roster is always changing. You can watch your players grow. It's like Animal Crossing. While it's basically the same outlined game, it's always different because there's always something to do. The game is ever-changing.

My point is, Colosseum is overrated and only good to rent. Or you can buy it and return it a week later for store credit towards FR & LG. Buy Animal Crossing instead, even though it's several years old, because it's a better game.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

R/S was the best. It wasn't lacking really. I mean it was the biggest world out of the other two. Big deal if it didn't take you back to Johto I hate when people complain about it. I actually like the R/S pokemon they are different.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonite4
    And getting Ho-oh is a pain in the neck. If you're going to put in a secret like that, they shouldn't make it as tedious. It took me long enough to beat both Story Mode and Mount Battle, and now they want me to do it again? I don't think so.
    What do you mean again? You need to do Mount Battle in Battle Mode with Pokemon uploaded from Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode. You could trade your Pokemon from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire into Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode and upload those making it much easier. Remember to get Ho-oh you need all 48 Shadow Pokemon snagged and purified.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy
    R/S was the best. It wasn't lacking really. I mean it was the biggest world out of the other two. Big deal if it didn't take you back to Johto I hate when people complain about it. I actually like the R/S pokemon they are different.
    I think Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire is the best Advanced Pokemon game I've played so far. I know Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are improved versions of Pokemon Red/Blue/Green but with lots of extras. I'll only need Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green to complete my Pokedex on Pokemon Sapphire really because I don't feel like having two Pokemon games with lots of hours on.

Advanced Trainer

Actually, as far as GSC allowing you to visit Kanto, I was a bit depressed at some points by what's happened to Kanto in 3 years. Not just the obvious things, like Cinnabar blowing its top and the Safari Zone closed down, but little things like the loss of Pokémon Tower and Cerulean Cave, the simplification of Victory Road and Mt. Moon, the closing of the Pewter Museum and even Blue's bizarre choice of interior decorating. Even though the average met-in-the-grass enemy trainer was clearly stronger in Kanto, both Misty and Erika bemoan the lack of strong trainers...I suppose it might be because Kanto was added on to a game already as full as the original RBY. If GSC's version of Kanto had been presented by itself it would have felt the way Colloseum does.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    Actually, as far as GSC allowing you to visit Kanto, I was a bit depressed at some points by what's happened to Kanto in 3 years. Not just the obvious things, like Cinnabar blowing its top and the Safari Zone closed down, but little things like the loss of Pokémon Tower and Cerulean Cave, the simplification of Victory Road and Mt. Moon, the closing of the Pewter Museum and even Blue's bizarre choice of interior decorating. Even though the average met-in-the-grass enemy trainer was clearly stronger in Kanto, both Misty and Erika bemoan the lack of strong trainers...I suppose it might be because Kanto was added on to a game already as full as the original RBY. If GSC's version of Kanto had been presented by itself it would have felt the way Colloseum does.
    I know, it was awful that you couldn't go to those places. I really liked Mt. Moon, it was misterious and whatnot, but they only left it as a mere passage, and they just added a weird shop instead.

And actually, R/S aren't bad at all IMO. They present a whole new world, the largest one indeed. But it would have been nice to have something like GS flashback or whatever. At least know what happened, if this is many years ahead, the same time as RBY or it's just the Twilight Zone o.0 I can't tell for sure, but I think there's only two references to Johto/Kanto in R/S: the first, I think in Oldale Town or Petalburg city, in which a girl tells you that the new Gym Leader Norman brought his family over the Johto Region... and there's a guy in Lillycove City, next to the PCenter that tells you he came from Kanto...

Anyway, I'm replaying Colosseum again, at least I'm having fun to kick Lady Venus' butt and looking for a decent suicune. lol.

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    The sandstorm rages.
    XD

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Master
    I know, it was awful that you couldn't go to those places. I really liked Mt. Moon, it was misterious and whatnot, but they only left it as a mere passage, and they just added a weird shop instead.

And actually, R/S aren't bad at all IMO. They present a whole new world, the largest one indeed. But it would have been nice to have something like GS flashback or whatever. At least know what happened, if this is many years ahead, the same time as RBY or it's just the Twilight Zone o.0 I can't tell for sure, but I think there's only two references to Johto/Kanto in R/S: the first, I think in Oldale Town or Petalburg city, in which a girl tells you that the new Gym Leader Norman brought his family over the Johto Region... and there's a guy in Lillycove City, next to the PCenter that tells you he came from Kanto...

Anyway, I'm replaying Colosseum again, at least I'm having fun to kick Lady Venus' butt and looking for a decent suicune. lol.
    Guess you haven't checked that well. In Lanette's house there's a PC that has a Mail from Bill. Here, he says that Lanette's Storage System is better than his, and that he's happy for contributing with its realization. Plus, a Blackbelt around Route 127/128 says that Brawly trained with a Kanto Trainer named Bruno... Jasmine, Pryce and Whitney are among the Contest crowd too...

Oh well, I know everyone has different opinions about the games. I think GSC was the worst of all generations. It might have had way better graphics than RBY, and some awesome Trainers and side-quests, but plot-wise, it's emptier than RBY, and also slower in overall game speed... while Team Rocket is a constant threat in RBY right after the Celadon Hideout, it's a puny and totally fallen Team in GSC. The intromission of the Team in GSC are totally pointless, all of them: "Boo-hoo, we want Giovanni back, thus, we'll make you lose your time with our whinning."

While Crystal added a great storyline on the Beasts and Ho-Oh, I think it still falls in comparision with RBY. GSC Pokémon are nice, but the game isn't. And well, when I went back to Kanto, I though: "Damn, another 8 GYMs? What's the point?". You said it yourself, PKMN Master: the original feeling was lost with pathetic excuses. While I was OK with the loss of Cinnabar Island, as it seemed kinda reasonable, the other caves collapsing is totally pointless. Unless the Cinnabar eruption caused a MAJOR Earthquake in the whole Region that caused Mt. Moon, Rock Tunnel, Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon and Seafoam Islands to reduce dramatically in size, or collapse, it's totally pointless. Man, even Team Rocket butts in with the stupid Generator thing.

The Safari Zone closing is another stupid excuse for memory shortage. Man, they should've made Johto bigger and deeper instead of fitting a crappy Kanto in it... oh well. RS is HUGE and an awesome game in comparision with this sub-par generation. The Teams might be pointless in a way (Most people thinks that, I don't know why...), but they're more threatening, almost like the RBY Team Rocket. Come on, they ALMOST reached their vision of the perfect world, but couldn't control the wrath of the Mythical Pokémon. The plot is a bit deeper, and it's nice overall. Instead of the plains-forest-caves trend we had on RBYGSC, we now see Deserts, the deep ocean, a Volcano, falls, and overall more varying scenario. Everyone thinks differently, but I'm glad RS didn't have another friggin' Region. It's a pretty long game by itself, and having another useless trip just to beat the Legendary Trainer is a waste of time, as GSC was...

And well, while Stadium 2 went better in some aspects compared to Stadium 1, I enjoyed the latter more... in Stadium 2, you had to pass the friggin' Round 2 to get the Dodrio Tower for GSC (A must with such slow speed in the GB...), and the prizes weren't as good as the RBY ones. I agree that the Move relearner was a good thing, but we have that already in the RS Games... the Farfetch'd with Baton Pass: pfft. The Gligar with Earthquake was OK, but still: pffft. Stadium 1 gave you 1-shot Pokémon like the Starters, Fossils, Hitmons and Eevee. The Amnesia Psyduck probably was a waste, but it was acceptable, at least in the RBY days.

Now, on your Challenge Cup comment: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*Ahem*HAHAHAHAHAHA! Test your Skills? you MUST be kidding. You probably had LOADS of luck and foolishly thought it was actually testing your skills. Yeah sure... first, in this damn Cup, you have to HOPE getting an acceptable Team (Not even good Team...), then you MUST hope the CPU doesn't gets its constant Critical Hits and its friggin' lucky Status inflictions. I was Frozen once, in the 7th Round, with that damn Clefable's Tri Attack... it froze my CHARMELEON, and if he hadn't gone frozen, I'd have won! COME ON. It could Paralyze, Burn or Freeze. It froze me, the ONLY Status that could help it in that moment. That's not Skill, that's SHEER LUCK! Then, your Teams oftenly suck more than theirs, and they have better moves all the time. Even in Mirror Matches, they're faster and stronger. That's not fair AT ALL, they put you in a friggin' impossible corner, where you must pray for luck, not Skill in order to win. Luck is a factor in the Pokémon Battles, but it's the MAIN factor in Challenge Cup. I'm fairly skilled at Pokémon Battles, but my Luck sucks. What reflects my 37 tries at Challenge Cup's Ultra Ball and 18 tries at Master Ball? Lack of luck, NOT lack of skill.

The other Cups tested your actual skills. Little Cup was the hardest one, as you had to use puny Pokés, and have fairly good Stats to get the edge over your opponent... it wasn't much more than Elemental Punch Abra and Thick Clubbed Cubone anyway...

GYM Leader Castle, it was OK, I must accept... it was just too long, but still. Never played it as deeply as other play modes, but there's still signs of major cheating. I still remember Red's Suicune, whose Hidden Power changed Type to be Super Effective against ANY Pokémon you sent out...

The Rival wasn't hard. Since 00bers had the drawback of being two weak to Rock, it was a piece of cake. Lugia and Ho-Oh fell to my Sword Dancing-Rock Sliding Mew, and Mewtwo was always prey for Golem's Explosion.

Still, I think Colosseum is a better game. I haven't battled that much, but as far as I've gone, I've found it's still fair. It doesn't has the evident luck outbalance Stadium 2 had. Maybe 00bers are harder because they're more variated in Type. While the old 00bers were easy prey for Rock and Explosion, those seem to be harder contenders. And if we go for Replay Value, train your Pokémon there, as Trainers are stronger than in RS (Another thing that'll be useless with FR/LG...), get Pokécoupons , Pinch Berries, Items... there's much to do in this game. Well, it's a matter of opinion in the end anyway... Colosseum had the chance to be a way better game, but it was overshadowed by lack of support from Nintendo's part, and the release of a superior game that makes Colosseum a filler at best: FR/LG...

Banned

My god. that's a behemoth post. (I actually read that whole thing)

While I disagree with you about GSC (Apart from the play speed, it IS slow), I'm in no mood to argue.

I agree with the sentiments about Stadium 2. That thing had luck-hacking skills to the extreme. Not only in the battles, but with the frigging mystery gift as well..(I swear, she's gotten like 3 miracleberries and 3 scope lenses and I've gotten none! It aint' fair!)

Although, with the prizes, to be fair, GSC had Ditto + breeding, so rares were not needed at all, in that sense. And yes, the special move pokemon sucked. Now an Aeroblasting Pidgey or Fearow, THAT would be cool...but they chose pokemon that almost no one likes.

Colosseum is a very well fleshed out game for a single player experience. If you take it as an FF style RPG, it's great fun AND there's actually something to do after you beat the final boss, with all the Colosseum battles and whatnot. It does cheat a little, but only when you use full heals and the status inflicting pokemon is still out there. It'll try to cause it again the turn you healed it. They also occasionally target pokemon you've just used a revive on when you only have one pokemon in play left. >.>;. But there's none of the blatant CPU super luck that happened in PS2. Thank god I say.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    Not just the obvious things, like Cinnabar blowing its top
    Where the hell is the volcano in Cinnabar anyway? There's nothing that even looks like a hill there, never mind a massive volcano.

Advanced Trainer

Blaine's Fire Gym was built over it. You kinda have to apply suspension of disbelief because, back in the RBY days, putting a mountain on that small an island wouldn't leave any room for the other buildings.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Guess you haven't checked that well. In Lanette's house there's a PC that has a Mail from Bill. Here, he says that Lanette's Storage System is better than his, and that he's happy for contributing with its realization. Plus, a Blackbelt around Route 127/128 says that Brawly trained with a Kanto Trainer named Bruno... Jasmine, Pryce and Whitney are among the Contest crowd too...
    Ok sorry, I forgot about those ones...

Oh well, I know everyone has different opinions about the games. I think GSC was the worst of all generations. It might have had way better graphics than RBY, and some awesome Trainers and side-quests, but plot-wise, it's emptier than RBY, and also slower in overall game speed... while Team Rocket is a constant threat in RBY right after the Celadon Hideout, it's a puny and totally fallen Team in GSC. The intromission of the Team in GSC are totally pointless, all of them: "Boo-hoo, we want Giovanni back, thus, we'll make you lose your time with our whinning."
    Yeah, it's all right for everyone to have different opinions, but I have to totally disagree with you... plot-emptier? it has a good story, and deeper IMO. I mean, I love RBY, but it wasn't as extense and deep as GSC. I mean, the Bellsprout tower, the Ilex Forest and celebi, the burned tower lugia and ho-oh, the three legendary dogs that died and were resurected? the quest of the TR to recover their leader dissapeared three years earlier, their attempts to mess with pkmn at lake rage, getting to the new e4 which hade new members, and then to know what happened to kanto three years later? all the changes, who was that guy misty was with in sea cottage, how cinnabar island was destroyed, and the emerge of two new pokemon trainers, one as gym leader and the other as the ultimate trainer? Gee, if that's not a great story, I don't know what it is.

While Crystal added a great storyline on the Beasts and Ho-Oh, I think it still falls in comparision with RBY. GSC Pokémon are nice, but the game isn't. And well, when I went back to Kanto, I though: "Damn, another 8 GYMs? What's the point?". You said it yourself, PKMN Master: the original feeling was lost with pathetic excuses. While I was OK with the loss of Cinnabar Island, as it seemed kinda reasonable, the other caves collapsing is totally pointless. Unless the Cinnabar eruption caused a MAJOR Earthquake in the whole Region that caused Mt. Moon, Rock Tunnel, Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon and Seafoam Islands to reduce dramatically in size, or collapse, it's totally pointless. Man, even Team Rocket butts in with the stupid Generator thing.

The Safari Zone closing is another stupid excuse for memory shortage. Man, they should've made Johto bigger and deeper instead of fitting a crappy Kanto in it... oh well. RS is HUGE and an awesome game in comparision with this sub-par generation. The Teams might be pointless in a way (Most people thinks that, I don't know why...), but they're more threatening, almost like the RBY Team Rocket. Come on, they ALMOST reached their vision of the perfect world, but couldn't control the wrath of the Mythical Pokémon. The plot is a bit deeper, and it's nice overall. Instead of the plains-forest-caves trend we had on RBYGSC, we now see Deserts, the deep ocean, a Volcano, falls, and overall more varying scenario. Everyone thinks differently, but I'm glad RS didn't have another friggin' Region. It's a pretty long game by itself, and having another useless trip just to beat the Legendary Trainer is a waste of time, as GSC was...
    Pardon me, but GSC was not a waste of time! R/S is great, I'll totally give you that, but you can't be biased only because of few things, I mean, yes, they could have made Johto bigger, but I think they intended it ot be a sequel of RBY. They did stupid things, such as creating a very standarizable (is that even a word??) metagame, which btw got standard, but added a lot of many great stuuf you couldn't even dream about in RBY!

And well, while Stadium 2 went better in some aspects compared to Stadium 1, I enjoyed the latter more... in Stadium 2, you had to pass the friggin' Round 2 to get the Dodrio Tower for GSC (A must with such slow speed in the GB...), and the prizes weren't as good as the RBY ones. I agree that the Move relearner was a good thing, but we have that already in the RS Games...
    Yeah, but we did not have it with GSC until stadium 2, did we?

... the Farfetch'd with Baton Pass: pfft. The Gligar with Earthquake was OK, but still: pffft. Stadium 1 gave you 1-shot Pokémon like the Starters, Fossils, Hitmons and Eevee. The Amnesia Psyduck probably was a waste, but it was acceptable, at least in the RBY days.
    So? in GSC you could breed for all of those, and could even control their IVs to get pkmn with decent stats, great movesets, and as many as you wanted from the one you wanted! And you wouldn't have to be praying to get the one you wanted, and let alone to have good stats.

Now, on your Challenge Cup comment: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*Ahem*HAHAHAHAHAHA! Test your Skills? you MUST be kidding. You probably had LOADS of luck and foolishly thought it was actually testing your skills. Yeah sure... first, in this damn Cup, you have to HOPE getting an acceptable Team (Not even good Team...), then you MUST hope the CPU doesn't gets its constant Critical Hits and its friggin' lucky Status inflictions. I was Frozen once, in the 7th Round, with that damn Clefable's Tri Attack... it froze my CHARMELEON, and if he hadn't gone frozen, I'd have won! COME ON. It could Paralyze, Burn or Freeze. It froze me, the ONLY Status that could help it in that moment. That's not Skill, that's SHEER LUCK! Then, your Teams oftenly suck more than theirs, and they have better moves all the time. Even in Mirror Matches, they're faster and stronger. That's not fair AT ALL, they put you in a friggin' impossible corner, where you must pray for luck, not Skill in order to win. Luck is a factor in the Pokémon Battles, but it's the MAIN factor in Challenge Cup. I'm fairly skilled at Pokémon Battles, but my Luck sucks. What reflects my 37 tries at Challenge Cup's Ultra Ball and 18 tries at Master Ball? Lack of luck, NOT lack of skill.
    Uh huh, it tests your skill. Hence the name Challenge Cup. Of course, luck played a major role in getting a good team, but the rest was up to you. Choosing carefully what pokemon would go into battle from the ones you got, and be smart enough to work with the moves and types you had. I know it was hard, and yeah, the computer cheated! it took me about 20 tries more or less on each cup, but I still liked the game! It gave you the chance to try different things, and perhaps learn a good thing or two about how to battle.

The other Cups tested your actual skills. Little Cup was the hardest one, as you had to use puny Pokés, and have fairly good Stats to get the edge over your opponent... it wasn't much more than Elemental Punch Abra and Thick Clubbed Cubone anyway...
    Actually, there's why you're biased again. Why try with the most common thing? I didn't take more than Meowth, Natu, Houndur and Staryu to get through it. The final pokefan with chansey/ghastly was a pain in teh butt, but still, it was pretty cool.

GYM Leader Castle, it was OK, I must accept... it was just too long, but still. Never played it as deeply as other play modes, but there's still signs of major cheating. I still remember Red's Suicune, whose Hidden Power changed Type to be Super Effective against ANY Pokémon you sent out...
    Starmie/Lapras > Suicune

The Rival wasn't hard. Since 00bers had the drawback of being two weak to Rock, it was a piece of cake. Lugia and Ho-Oh fell to my Sword Dancing-Rock Sliding Mew, and Mewtwo was always prey for Golem's Explosion.
    Yeah, piece of cake. Felt bad for his pkmn though... AHHH! which makes me remember, that part of the storyline too, remember the current allusions to a trainer that misstreated his pokemon?? that was sure deep.

Still, I think Colosseum is a better game. I haven't battled that much, but as far as I've gone, I've found it's still fair. It doesn't has the evident luck outbalance Stadium 2 had. Maybe 00bers are harder because they're more variated in Type. While the old 00bers were easy prey for Rock and Explosion, those seem to be harder contenders. And if we go for Replay Value, train your Pokémon there, as Trainers are stronger than in RS (Another thing that'll be useless with FR/LG...), get Pokécoupons , Pinch Berries, Items... there's much to do in this game.
    That's pretty much everything to do on that game. That's it. Get females, get berries, get ho-oh, battle with friends from time to time.... that's it.

Well, it's a matter of opinion in the end anyway... Colosseum had the chance to be a way better game, but it was overshadowed by lack of support from Nintendo's part, and the release of a superior game that makes Colosseum a filler at best: FR/LG...
    Indeed.

Anyway, you can't biase your opinion on the mere fact of the computer cheating on Stadium2 and how slow the character walks around... denying GSC were good, and at some point the best, at gameplay, features and pokemon, is just not knowing what pkmn is about. So far, at least to me, the only game I've been dissapointed with, is precisely, Colosseum, and you pretty much stated the reasons on your last paragraph.

c ya.

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    The sandstorm rages.
    XD

I've try some of those Cups on Pokemon Colosseum and they cheat in them too because even my good Teams fail in them. One of my friends got so angry at Pokemon Colosseum cheating in the Cups that he took the game back to the shop. It's like your EV Training means nothing on these Pokemon in the Cups because they must have maximum EVs in all Stats like the cheaters they are. So you have Story Mode and Battle Mode. I play a lot of Role Playing Games and I wouldn't class this as an RPG because of the shortest and lack of fun in the Story Mode. Battle Mode like I've said before is full of cheats who always get critical hits and always dodge every attack you give them or take little damage.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I've try some of those Cups on Pokemon Colosseum and they cheat in them too because even my good Teams fail in them. One of my friends got so angry at Pokemon Colosseum cheating in the Cups that he took the game back to the shop. It's like your EV Training means nothing on these Pokemon in the Cups because they must have maximum EVs in all Stats like the cheaters they are. So you have Story Mode and Battle Mode. I play a lot of Role Playing Games and I wouldn't class this as an RPG because of the shortest and lack of fun in the Story Mode. Battle Mode like I've said before is full of cheats who always get critical hits and always dodge every attack you give them or take little damage.
    I know!! I can't remember what battle was, but it was in the lvl 100 cup, the so called supertrainer with Latias... it cost me at least 2 tries and 6 continues, cuz she kept on getting CH's at my pogeys, and the few times I got to that Latias, which I assume has Soul Dew, she managed to set up a calm mind and just sweep my last poke... and kyogre was kinda hard two, it made CHs three times in a row with surf :'( Too bad I didn't have my trustworthy mexicolo to take it down...

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    The sandstorm rages.
    XD

What do you mean again? You need to do Mount Battle in Battle Mode with Pokemon uploaded from Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode. You could trade your Pokemon from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire into Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode and upload those making it much easier. Remember to get Ho-oh you need all 48 Shadow Pokemon snagged and purified.
    I beat story mode and Mt. Battle, but independant of each other. I used my RS Pokemon and beat it, got NOTHING for doing so, and then realized I had to purify all the Pokemon and use my story team to beat it. That was the day the music died...er, the day I stopped playing. It would take forever and a day to purify the Pokemon, and I didn't feel like battling 100 times again.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Now that Emerald seems to have most/all the Colloseum Pokemon, I'd expect Collo sales to plummet even lower. Sudowoodo, Smeargle, Miltank and even the GSC starters can be obtained in Emerald now. Maybe they've realised that nobody wants Colloseum, and incorporated those new Pokemon into the games...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

The only reason for Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode Shadow Pokemon is the Pokemon GSC Starters are all in it. Whereas on Pokemon Emerald you need to complete the Hoenn Pokedex and you can only choose one of them. I wish I never wasted my Ł39.99 on Pokemon Colosseum seeing as I found Pokemon Leaf Green for Ł22.99 which I really want. So it all sums up to Pokemon Colosseum is really only for die hard Pokemon fans who live 3D Battling and random battles with messed up Pokemon.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I can't believe I wasted my money on PKMN Colosseum

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

You forget that you get the three legendary dogs in Colosseum: Entei, Raikou and Suicune.
    Sure, you may say they are available in FR/LG too. But you forget that in FR/LG they all have very bad IVs:

HP: xx
    Att: xx
    Def: 0
    SA: 0
    SD: 0
    Sp: 0

The last four IV values are always 0. It is like the Lati@s in R/S. These values are all preset in the game. I have verified it on my Japanese FR game. The Raikou I caught has HP: 15 and Att: 6. The rest is 0.
    So, you can get these dogs with decent (I mean random and most likely better) IVs only in Colosseum.
    Regards,
    Gagome

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's Bashamo
    I can't believe I wasted my money on PKMN Colosseum
    Well, unless you import, it's not like you'll be getting Emerald anytime soon...

Pokemon Colosseum Pre-orders
    Japan: Got Celebi Bonus Disc.
    America: Got Jirachi Bonus Disc.
    Europe: We got nothing extra.

I'm sure if we got a Celebi or Jirachi Bonus Disc we would have been a bit happier but now Pokemon Colosseum looks like a big waste. I don't plan on buying Pokemon Emerald as of yet because Pokemon LG is my next game to try and catch all 386 Pokemon and help Pokemon Sapphire get all 386 Pokemon too.

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Xenesis
    Colosseum is a very well fleshed out game for a single player experience. If you take it as an FF style RPG, it's great fun AND there's actually something to do after you beat the final boss, with all the Colosseum battles and whatnot
    Lime'd because you are on drugs.

If I were to compare the depth of Pokemon Colosseum and just about any Final Fantasy game, it would be like comparing this half bottle of watering on my desk to the deepest oceans in the world.

I'd even go as far to argue that Pokemon Colosseum isn't a true RPG.

Banned

I said FF STYLE. Sure, it doesn't have the same plot depth as a lot of FF games, but the way the story progresses is similar. You find out about some evil plot and set out to do something about it, saving X in the process. Whee. And while some of the later FF's had deepish plots, you can't say that the early ones really were that deep. And Pokemon has MUCH more depth of gameplay in my opinion than FF games do.

What I mean by FF style is that you have a party of X, you have limited choices. It's more like FF style gameplay as in you have a party and you battle random(ish) trainers. You pick out party members you like out of what you have and you use them through the game. It's not like the GBA games where you have infinite choices and lots of possibilites. Being all double battles you must use your team members to support each other. And so on so forth.

As for the 'true RPG' comment, not much is. You want a true RPG? Go play Dungeons and Dragons.

And, I close with this comment: 'mmm...lime.'

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I find it interesting that not one post has mentioned "...and you get to see your pokémon battling in 3D" as a reason for getting colloseum. I would have thought that was pretty much the whole point of the game. I realise they could have done a better job, and many people think Stadium did it better... but GET OVER IT! Stadium doesn't exist if you don't have an N64!

If the only thing you want out of the game are the pokémon, go trade for 'em from someone who bought it.
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rinku
    I find it interesting that not one post has mentioned "...and you get to see your pokémon battling in 3D" as a reason for getting colloseum. I would have thought that was pretty much the whole point of the game. I realise they could have done a better job, and many people think Stadium did it better... but GET OVER IT! Stadium doesn't exist if you don't have an N64!

If the only thing you want out of the game are the pokémon, go trade for 'em from someone who bought it.
    My point was that the Stadium games weren't great either and Colosseum just cut the crap and went bare-bones with that idea. I didn't buy it for minigames or a Plusle. I bought it for 3-D pokemon.

I think Pokemon FR/LG and Pokemon Emerald all having Wireless Battling is much better than battling in 3D on Pokemon Colosseum. Some of the Graphics in 3D aren't as good as some people wanted and prefer the 2D Graphics and attacks. I would also agreed with Raz saying this isn't a true RPG because I play a lot of RPGs and know my stuff but this game isn't very good to be an RPG.

Banned

I think Pokemon FR/LG and Pokemon Emerald all having Wireless Battling is much better than battling in 3D on Pokemon Colosseum. Some of the Graphics in 3D aren't as good as some people wanted and prefer the 2D Graphics and attacks.
    This post doesn't make sense. They can just not buy the thing... The only thing you'd need Colosseum for now are non-crappy IV'd Raikou/Entei/Suicune or Celebi(Japan). I didn't count Jirachi because you only had to reserve it for like 5 bucks, get the disk, and forget about Colosseum (Europe had to go through a Pichu Bros. short and Meowth's Party for days, heh).

I said FF STYLE. Sure, it doesn't have the same plot depth as a lot of FF games, but the way the story progresses is similar. You find out about some evil plot and set out to do something about it, saving X in the process. Whee. And while some of the later FF's had deepish plots, you can't say that the early ones really were that deep. And Pokemon has MUCH more depth of gameplay in my opinion than FF games do.
    Sorry, but Pokémon Colosseum's plot doesn't progress ANYTHING like a Final Fantasy game's plot does. Final Fantasy games tend to have a purpose, an overall goal. But Pokémon Colosseum? That game just seemed like a random string of events, and while there was a "goal" (stop the Shadow Pokémon plan), it seemed to have been ignored for most of the game. After the initial introductions, the game pretty much degrades to "walk around, fight trainers, walk around, fight more trainers" with very little inbetween to spice things up.

Another big problem I had with Colosseum was the ending, or lack thereof. You beat the final boss, you see Ho-Oh, and then...nothing. Even after you get the final Shadow Pokémon, there are still tons of questions left unanswered. What was Pyrite Town's reaction to the fact that their mayor was the head honcho of the Shadow Pokemon plan? What ever happened to the partner; is she just destined to follow the hero around forever or what? Who is Shady Guy? Why was he going around ruining your reputation? Why DOES Ho-Oh give you its blessing in the first place?

A Final Fantasy game would have answered all those questions. Comparing Pokémon Colosseum to the greatest console RPG franchises on the planet is a massive insult to Square/Enix.

Banned

A Final Fantasy game would have answered all those questions
    So, why after so many years are the plots and other parts of several Square RPG games STILL being debated? *Points to FF6,7, Chrono Trigger, etc.*

If they were so concisely answered, then how come people are still unsure about a lot of several FF games? Why has the debate about these games raged for over 5 years? Does that sound like all questions were answered?

Besides, it is my opinion that colosseum is FF style. When I played the game, that's how it struck me. It felt FFish. You can disagree or whatever, I don't care.

So, why after so many years are the plots and other parts of several Square RPG games STILL being debated? *Points to FF6,7, Chrono Trigger, etc.*
    There's a difference between a game with an ending that leaves room for interpretation and one that doesn't have an ending at all.

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

[QUOTE="Xenesis"]I said FF STYLE. Sure, it doesn't have the same plot depth as a lot of FF games, but the way the story progresses is similar. You find out about some evil plot and set out to do something about it, saving X in the process. Whee. And while some of the later FF's had deepish plots, you can't say that the early ones really were that deep. And Pokemon has MUCH more depth of gameplay in my opinion than FF games do.
    Lime'd because you are abusing substances and refuse to stop.

Depth in gameplay? Where? There is zero exploration in Colosseum. None. Squat. Zilch. While just about every RPG out there normally has somewhat large areas to explore between towns, Colosseum just gives you a shitty little cutscene when you go somewhere else. For an RPG, that's downright criminal.

Characters in FF (and many RPGs) generally have many options in development. Check out the system in FF10, that thing was nuts. Pokemon? Linear development. This is not BAD, persay, but it proves that you have either never played any recent FF games or have been sniffing whatever glue Animelee is giving you.

Storyline? Forget it. Colosseum is like a train wreck. It's as if Nintendo wanted a mature story line and then halfway through realized everyone above the age of 13 has stopped buying into Pokemon shit. The whole Shadow Pokemon thing was nothing more than a glorifed happiness meter that was introduced in Gold/Silver.

I also don't recall any sidequests in Colosseum. It was linear to a fault.

What I mean by FF style is that you have a party of X, you have limited choices.
    Yet battles are more dynamic since you aren't limited to two out at a time.

It's more like FF style gameplay as in you have a party and you battle random(ish) trainers.
    Please explain how trainers that you can clearly see are random. And closing your eyes and pressing on the analog stick doesn't count.

You pick out party members you like out of what you have and you use them through the game. It's not like the GBA games where you have infinite choices and lots of possibilites. Being all double battles you must use your team members to support each other. And so on so forth.
    From the sound of it, it seems like it's more limitedt han the GBA versions. You realize how sad that is? That the Cube version has hundreds less pokemon in the Story Mode? And your "and so on so forth" doesn't count as legititmate argument. Try again, please.

As for the 'true RPG' comment, not much is. You want a true RPG? Go play Dungeons and Dragons.
    You know what the definition is. Console RPG. You know, what Nintendo used to try and describe story mode.

If they were so concisely answered, then how come people are still unsure about a lot of several FF games? Why has the debate about these games raged for over 5 years? Does that sound like all questions were answered?
    Those games still had conclusions. Good story telling doesn't mean you tie up all loose ends (especially in the game business, where sequels are popular), you just give a satisfying enough conclusion.

It's a testment to their depth that people still discuss the potential outcomes. Colosseum fails to offer a true conclusion, and it's wafer-thin characters aren't worth talking about.

Banned

Bah.

Fine. Feel big and important that you continue to mock my opinion.

I don't care anymore. I surrender. It's obvious that because I don't agree with your opinion, I deserve to assaulted.

And if you say I'm on drugs one more time, I'm going to get pissed. I don't do drugs, smoke or drink. Leave your accusations elsewhere.

Gee, I thought people were friendly and civilized here. Instead, they continually mock the little guy with a different opinion.

I bid you farewell and hope I never have the misfortune of speaking to you again.