View Poll Results: What do you think of Co-writing a fic?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've done it before and it was great, I welcome the chance to do so.

2 10.00%
  • I've tried it before, it was good mostly, but it depends on the person

4 20.00%
  • I've never co written, but it looks appealing

10 50.00%
  • I've never co written, but I don't like the look of it.

3 15.00%
  • I have co written and it was bad, but it may just have been my co-author

1 5.00%
  • I've co writen and it was bad, and will never do so again.

0 0%

Thread: Co-Writing

Default Co-Writing

I don't hear much of this these days (maybe my ears are just closed) but I remember one or two back in the day. So, who all goes in for this sort of thing, ay? Anyone considering it?
    *yawn*

Possibly temporarily back. Again.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Co-Writing

I have never co-written, but Oz tells me it's hard. You have to meet on AIM/MSN frequently to exchange ideas or post chappies to each other, you have to AGREE (something I find hard, I'm the type who pulls out the wild cards when it comes to writing^^) and it takes a long time.

Well the Electric Buggy To Victory and Lisa The Legend Crossover's (there have been 2) were a joy to read. Those writers are an asset to this forum.

I was going to write some co-work with Subsane, but he's gone...somewhere...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Co-Writing

When Oz and I did the EBTV-LTL crossovers, it was a completely new thing for both of us. We had to meet like ... all the time on MSN to talk, plan out, decide on things, read each other's new instalments and ultimately, agree and agree to disagree. It took a long time, too - as in months and months.

But I have to say, despite the crossovers being a lot of hard work, and requiring huge amounts of dedication, it was heaps of fun to write them. Oz is an extremely gifted writer, and it really was a pleasure to write with him. Ultimately, the crossovers were hugely challenging but hugely satisfying at the end.

So, I would recommend co-writing to anyone else, but you have to get along with your co-writer and be dedicated. It's great fun though, and it does liven up the forums!

Cheers!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Co-Writing

Honestly, I have considered it. There are two or three writers on the forums that I think it would be a joy to co-write with. (But don't PM me and ask; I'll just give you an indiscriminate "no", regardless of what I think. That will be your punishment if you PM me about it. ) Right now, though, I'm WAY too busy. Schoolwork's got me bogged down, along with the three fics I've got going. When summer rolls around though, I'll definitely think more seriously about it. Until then, though, no way. Too much going on at the moment.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Default Co-Writing

I really enjoyed co-writing Alchemist Trials for as short as it lasted, but there are many dangers in doing such a thing. If any of the writers is too busy to keep writing or loses interest, the fic goes down. That's what happened to our fic (2 of the writers, PlatinumHawke and Shadowmew2, left TPM), and to the other co-written fic I used to read. I also co-write at the Battle Range (Adopted & Captured Pokemon subforum of PCG) and that causes a huge delay in my stories, since we can hardly ever meet online, and I've been extremely busy, but I still enjoy it a lot. So, it has ups and downs. I wouldn't start co-writing a fic again before getting done with my own because I can barely handle the things I'm doing right now. But later... I think it would be nice.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Default Co-Writing

I would love to co-write with my friend... I have to ask her sometime... but I've never tried.
    The Quest for the Legends

Chapter seventy-seven, THE END, up!

Also check out the spin-off, Scyther's Story, as well as its sequel, The Fall of a Leader.

Morphic
    Winner of six 2008 Silver Pencils, including Best Fiction Overall and Best Plot
    Now concluded with chapter fourteen!

Banned

Default Co-Writing

I had someone who use to co-write for me but they decided to quit.

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Co-Writing

If anybody remembers, I did cowrite a fic with Ryan a year ago. It was going to be a great fic, we were both dedicated, until our daily lives caught up with us. I suppose the thing is for a cowritten fic, it can be really good and bad at once. It's a good thing to do, but it takes a lot of dedication, time and energy. So unless you're prepared to give it your all, its going to be difficult.

~Mist

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Administrator

Default Co-Writing

I do remember that, Tara. That was the "other co-written fic" I was referring to.

Do you remember you were a co-writer of Alchemist's Trials too?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Co-Writing

Co-writing requires a heck of a lot of planning. The way it's done here isn't as suited. 2 differneet styles for 2 different chapters can get very annoying. The two need to be able to work together, construct their characters,w orld and plot together, agree on the writing style, and give their input.

Default Co-Writing

As I see it the two styles should be as the snake coiled round the Caduceus. Opposing forces combined for balance and power. Perhaps you could write intertwining plots. Or, wait, here's an idea, each writer writes from a different perspective, like, (I'm using a clichč so that everyone knows what I'm talking about) one writes a chapter from Ash's perspective, then the next is from Misty's... Just an idea. I'd like to co-write something if I could write anything right now...
    *yawn*

Possibly temporarily back. Again.

Administrator

Default Co-Writing

I like the way Ade and I are co-writing, even if it takes a lot of time (we both tend to get carried away and write loooooong stories). Each of has has a set of characters, and we talk on AIM to define the situation and roleplay the dialogues. Then each of us saves the log and writes their part.

Blame of Absence: Cancer Honorary Moderator

Default Co-Writing

I've co-written once before, but it was with someone who, in all fairness, just wasn't up to par. His writing was good when he took his time, but it seemed he liked to rush often and I'm trailing on, yadda, yadda, boom...
    I find I can write something with anybody of any writing style, even if the quality of writing isn't super-- as I don't think I'm that great of a writer either.

I'd like to attempt co-writing something with someone in the near future, conversing ideas and such is something I quite miss.

Adieu,
    Zak Hunter