Thread: Is there a difference between US and UK Ruby/Sapphire games?

Hybrid View

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Is there a difference between US and UK Ruby/Sapphire games?

I own US and German Ruby and Sapphire games. When I connect the US games to Colosseum Bonus Disc on my Gamecube I can download Jirachi. But the German games don't work. I get an error. So, obvously the language is checked.
    Now, when I would buy the UK version of Colosseum will it work with the US games? Or do I need the US version of Colosseum?
    Regards,
    Gagome

Moderator Moderator

The Gameboy Advance systems can interact with games that are a different language. That is why people can freely trade between English versions of Ruby/Sapphire and Japanese versions of Fire Red/Leaf Green. However, the Gamecube is not compatible with other languages. Anytime the Gamecube is involved, you have to use equipment that uses the same language as the Gamecube. So, that is why you can't transfer a Jirachi from an English preorder disc to a German version of Ruby/Sapphire. UK versions may be compatible with a US Gamecube, since they use English, just as the US versions do, but I am not sure.
    Best Ruby/Sapphire Moderator!!
    TPM Awards 2004, 2005, 2006

Winner of 2007 Unown Award N & 2008 Unown Award C!!

Chicoslavocia's Revenge is my best bud on TPM!!
    Visit her Oekaki Board!!

14 Years at TPM: 11/06/2000-11/06/2014

~Forum Achievements~
    Junior Trainer (250 Posts): 11/25/2000
    Cool Trainer (500 Posts): 12/18/2000
    Advanced Trainer (1000 Posts): 02/20/2001
    TPM's 161st Elite Trainer!! 2500 Posts: 11/22/2003
    TPM's 58th Master Trainer!! 5000 Posts: 09/30/2008
    Gold/Silver/Crystal Help Moderator: 02/17/2001-05/15/2001
    Advanced Generation Moderator: 06/21/2004-04/02/2006, 04/04/2006
    Currently 48th Place: Most Posts @ TPM!!

UK region Game Cube discs aren't compatable with US region Game Cubes, and vis-versa. You need a "Freeloader" disc (there may be others, but I use Free Loader) to interface with the out of region stuff. Unless you get your Cube chipped... I don't know this works in relation to GBA games, whether an US Ruby would be compatable with, say, UK Pokemon Channel (and by that I mean the game you get free with your ÂŁ20 Jirachii disc.)

Was that what you meant, Ichiban? It seemed a little unclear.
    *yawn*

Possibly temporarily back. Again.

Default Fett's Vette

Why do they have this difference?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Partly because US and UK use different TV formats, meaning the hardware does have to be region specific. This does not apply to GBA carts - they all use compatible hardware.

It's logical that a US GCN disk won't work on a UK Cube, but not so clear why this would affect GBA link compatability. Possibly there is some technical reason, but also it may be to discourage imports (which could be an issue imposed by the governments involved, or the different regional branches of Nintendo).
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Default Pff.

Since most games have different release dates (since most game companies hate Europe) they want to prevent imports like Rinku said, and make us wait... and wait... and wait... and then when they release it here, they haven't even corrected the bloody spelling, it still says "Color" and so on.

Sorry, that all just gets me mad.

The region thing? I say it's all about money.
    *yawn*

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Thanks so far for your comments.

I know that I have to use some SW like the Freeloader to play US Gamecube titles on a PAL GC and vice-versa. But I don't know if a US Ru/Sa GBA game can be linked to a UK PAL Colosseum GC game? I am sure a german Ru/Sa will not work. But since US and UK Ru/Sa are both english it may work?

I have contacted a friend who owns a UK Ru game. He will borrow it to me and then I can try to connect it to my US Colosseum Bonus Disc (which I bought from eBay). If this works than I can assume US Ru/Sa GBA games can be linked to UK Colosseum and I may buy a UK Colosseum Mega Pak.
    Regards,
    Gagome

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Reigional differences have nothing to do with money and everything to do with lack of standardized televisions. Europeans and Americans and Japanese can have varying wattage for their TVs, meaning you have to optimize each game for the region's television.

Since the Game Boy has it's own built-in screen, there is really no need for regional lock-out. You're only going to have versions based on language.

EDIT: To sum it up: You are able to play any country's version of any Game Boy or Game Boy Advance on your GBA, but you will need some sort of modifier to play foreign games on your Gamecube.

It does not take three months to change frenquency, or stuff like that, no offence. And we still get a delay on GBA games. You think that's for the good of our health? In the case of Rockman Zero 2, it is in fact so that they can give it the ugliest box imaginable.

Sorry for being all off topic and what-not... I guess the truth is (partly. Partly I'd say I'm right on the button with the money answer) that they have Europe-wide release dates, so while they're translating everything into French, Italian, etc. we have to wait (grah! Damn you EU!) for them. And everyone refuses to life their finger to change the spelling to UK english (I mean, if they've got it in a computer, it's just like , CTRL+F, for gawds sake.)

Also, Colosseum and Ru/Sa should be compatable despite language barriers, since they trade like... like some sort of trading thing (ala trading between Japanese and English Ru/Sa) unlike box. BTW, if you're borrowing (also, you'd say "he will lend", not borrow) the UK Colosseum, make sure to borrow the memory card too (or copy the saved game.) You can't beat trade without completing the game, so you'd be a bit hard-pushed to test it.
    *yawn*

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

You're not taking everything into consideration. When you get a game prepared for another region, there's a lot to do. Such as:

-Follow all trade regulations. North America has three nations. Japan has one. Europe has much more.

-Get production running. It is going to be very expensive and in many cases impossible to ship every copy of Pokemon X from Japan or America.

Does that take six months? Maybe, maybe not. They did release Mario Kart Double Dash in Europe before America, but they may have waited so that could happen. Europe is a lot bigger than America or Japan, so I'd imagine it would take longer to get it ready.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

No he will not lend me the UK Colosseum GC game but the UK Ruby GBA game.

Thanks for correcting my english.
    I am always eager to learn.
    Regards,
    Gagome

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gagome
    I own US and German Ruby and Sapphire games. When I connect the US games to Colosseum Bonus Disc on my Gamecube I can download Jirachi. But the German games don't work. I get an error. So, obvously the language is checked.
    Now, when I would buy the UK version of Colosseum will it work with the US games? Or do I need the US version of Colosseum?

*Is waiting for " DS, you are stupid " comments*

But i think he meant is the US version of Ru/Sa compatible with the UK version of Colosseum not any of this UK GC games not working on US GC machines because of the NTSC/PAL format difference and any of that malarky lol
    For terrible Pokésex: 2148-4736-7219

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I have now confirmed that the UK Ruby GBA game indeed works fine with a US Gamecube Colosseum Bonus Disc. I could successfully download Jirachi and update the berry program.
    But comparing US ROM with UK ROM there are some minor differences. No idea what really is the difference. Both games are english and seem to be compatible with US and UK Gamecube games (Colosseum, Channel and Bonus Disc).

To DS: you are absolutely right, that's exactly what I meant.
    Regards,
    Gagome

Err, what was the upshot of this?

On a similar note I tried to use my Japanese Sapphire in conjunction with Colosseum, and the result was a catastrophic failure. Well, not catastrophic... but definately failure. This was just using the battle-colosseum feature. I haven't unlocked trading yet. As trading with Story Mode involves different principles (I hope) to registering, will my Japanese game be compatable with that? Or am I getting it in the shorts again?

*mutters to self*Fushin'bushin'tushin' fritzin' tashin' mashin'...
    *yawn*

Moderator Moderator

No, unfortunately Japanese Gameboy games are not compatible with English gamecubes. Different language Gameboy Advance games are compatible with each other, but whenever the Gamecube is involved, the Gamecube has to be the same language as the software that is being used with it.
    Best Ruby/Sapphire Moderator!!
    TPM Awards 2004, 2005, 2006

Winner of 2007 Unown Award N & 2008 Unown Award C!!

Chicoslavocia's Revenge is my best bud on TPM!!
    Visit her Oekaki Board!!

14 Years at TPM: 11/06/2000-11/06/2014

~Forum Achievements~
    Junior Trainer (250 Posts): 11/25/2000
    Cool Trainer (500 Posts): 12/18/2000
    Advanced Trainer (1000 Posts): 02/20/2001
    TPM's 161st Elite Trainer!! 2500 Posts: 11/22/2003
    TPM's 58th Master Trainer!! 5000 Posts: 09/30/2008
    Gold/Silver/Crystal Help Moderator: 02/17/2001-05/15/2001
    Advanced Generation Moderator: 06/21/2004-04/02/2006, 04/04/2006
    Currently 48th Place: Most Posts @ TPM!!