View Poll Results: What rating of fic do you generally read/show interest in?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • U - Universally lame (actually Universal)

1 5.26%
  • PG - Probably Gory (NOOOO! It means Parental Guidance)

6 31.58%
  • 13 - light swearing, violence

4 21.05%
  • 15+ Violence, heavier swearing, death

5 26.32%
  • 18+ Deaths, sex scenes, and G.O.R.E

3 15.79%

Thread: Poll of the week - week beginning 8th August

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Poll of the week - week beginning 8th August

Whee, here I am. Time for another wee pollamajiggybobthingwhichhey,you'renotevenreadingt hisareyoubecauseyoucan'tactuallyunderstanditandyou rattentiondisapearedwhennyougotabout9lettersintoth isword.

ANYWAY

What rating do you prefer to read in fanfiction?

This is like U, PG, and I forget the rest. So You vote by selecting an option from the Britometer™

This post, and the postee, were both deciphered from crop circles

Edit: You will find that generally, you find little more than 13, but this doesn't apply for these boards only, maybe you read 18+ stories or something...

Edit#2: If you're one of those people who read a fic and is interested in the other factors of it, as a pose to the rating and amount of sex/death/fork-deaths/violence/swearing, then jus specifiy in the thread and click any old box.
    Credits: Mr Pikachu.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Blame of Absence: Cancer Honorary Moderator

The more mature a fic can be, the better. As long as it's not overdone, I'm perfectly fine with reading the occasional sex scene, or whatever the hell may come. I don't particularily read a fic just for the awesome sex scenes, or anything, but it can definately add to a fic, showing a certain unbreakable bond between two characters.
    As long as there isn't random banging every chapter, I'm perfectly okay with it.

As far as violence goes: the more brutal, the better.

Adieu,
    Zak Hunter

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I took the first option, simply because you didn't have a choice for, "I'll read anything as long as it's good." That's my answer to you. As long as it's a quality piece I'll read it, regardless of the age range it's meant for.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I picked option 2. ^_^ I do like maturity in fics, but I don't think at all that fics have to resort to violence or swearing to attain be "mature." So I figured option 2 would be a good place to cast my vote. =)

We are half-hearted creatures,
    Fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us,

Like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum
    Because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea.

We are far too easily pleased.

C.S. Lewis ~ "The Weight of Glory"

Banned

Probably anything up to 15+. The description for 18+ makes it seem a little over-the-edge, and that's not what makes a fic good. Violence is very good, IMHO, because it adds to a fic, but you need to balance it with dialogue and other kinds of drama.

PS

Banned

I dont really browse fics by their "maturity level". It really, REALLY doesn't matter. I guess I do think that gratuitous sex or violence isn't what I seek out, but I'll pretty much read anything.

I voted PG, though. Just because (even if it was joke) the description for universal was "Universally Lame" . I'm not big into Barney. A certain amount of maturity is never a bad thing.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Hmm, this is a bit of a weird poll; I personally don't know anyone who reads stuff becase of its rating. I think that a lot of complexiity and maturity can be achieved without a shred of violence, swearing, or sex. So, AI live to read complex and mature fic. Not neccessarily with those bits in them.

On a side note, I chose PG, just because U fics usually don't have much depth and 15's starting to head towards violence and swearing for the heck of it, as opposed to for the need of it. Of course the rating doesn't actually influence anything; just by observation it seems to happen.
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

Well, I usually see the American rating system (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17), and out of that I'm usually more likely to click a fic title that says "PG-13" than "G", just because I like death. Since you put "death" in 15+, I'll vote that. For me, fics have to be seriously good to make up for it if nobody dies in them.
    The Quest for the Legends

Chapter seventy-seven, THE END, up!

Also check out the spin-off, Scyther's Story, as well as its sequel, The Fall of a Leader.

Morphic
    Winner of six 2008 Silver Pencils, including Best Fiction Overall and Best Plot
    Now concluded with chapter fourteen!

Banned

I chose PG, though rating often doesn't stop me from reading a fic, though it's a rare occasion when something actually gets me to read a fic. Why PG? Well, I find that at this yet amateur level of writing, sometimes authors like to plug in violence, gore, sex, etc. just for the sake of having it there. As with all things in writing, these things have their place, but they're not meant to be used trivially, or as stuffing for your fic. For the most part, I enjoy a read that makes use of its scenes tastefully and powerfully.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

It doesn't really matter what rating a fic has, doesn't ever mean that it's good or bad. Personally, fics of 15 and 18+ are, a lot of the time, excuses for boring tirades of violence, sex, swearing and death. PG would be where I'd like to read ... a mature writing style, good plot and good characters could all be found here quite nicely.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I chose PG, just because it was the middle ground. *shrugs* what can I say, I'm not fussy.

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    A strange and magical frozen land of ice and beer called "Canada"

<Paul Heyman mode ON>

GOOOORE!! GOOOOORE!!!! GOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!

<Paul Heyman mode OFF>
    [img][/img]

Mewfour is a Canadian writer and longtime TPM veteran.
    Over his impressive 9-year ficcing career he has won 5
    Silver Pencils and 3 Golden Pen awards, and currently holds
    the record for most times won Most Evil Fanficcer (3)

He's also not above posting stuff about himself in the third person.

Heh, I voted for 15, because otherwise it's just too damn immature. [That damn was to show... emphasis or something] PG 13 is good... actually, I probably voted for that. It was a few days ago, so I'm not too clear on it. Anything above PG13. Why?, you may ask. Well, because of this--I haven't enjoyed a PG, G, or U movie [except Shrek and Toy Story 1] since I was probably 8 or 9. And every time I've tried a fic with less that PG rating, it always comes off as either dull, immature, or corny.

That's my 2 cents.

o_0
    jimm
    Quote Originally Posted by PancaKe
    The decapitated mole is a fruit loop.

You heard it here first, folks!

3-time winner of Fanfic's "Oddest Writer" award!

Knight of I.N.D.E.E.D.