Thread: The Keystone Conspiracy.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default The Keystone Conspiracy.

This is something new, hopefully it's not too typical for a beginning. I'll do bits of this in my spare time, I'm holding off LTL until I actually have time to write it; this, being a new fic, will be much quicker to write new instalments of. Happy reading!

The Keystone Conspiracy.

Prologue.

Hidden neatly in the shadow of a granite sculpture, her body pressed against a wall, Nika Petrova drew a deep, bitter breath. Around her in the pitch darkness, voices were yelling, shots were ringing. One mistake had unravelled everything. It was finished; it had failed.

Throwing caution to the wind, Nika leapt out from behind the sculpture and lunged for the abandoned rifle on the metal walkway. She pulled the trigger before she had taken aim – before she had even steeled herself for the recoiling force. There was a loud bang and the gun leapt from her arms; she went crashing to the ground. Seconds later, there came the inevitable yell: “There she is!” Still scrambling back to her feet, Nika knew that she may as well remain on the floor; from the moment she pulled the trigger, she knew her fate was sealed; whether or not she hit anybody was irrelevant. But she recovered and began to run full-pelt towards the exit.

“On the walkway!” yelled a scratchy-voiced woman, appearing in the vast exhibition room below.

Nika continued to run, her footsteps loud and frantic on the elevated metal walkway. Someone below her swore and fired; sparks flew off the bridge, but nothing hit her.

“You won’t escape, the exits are covered!”

Nika nearly deigned a smile. I don’t want to escape.

She rounded a bend in the walkway and found a series of descending metal steps before her. Adrenaline flooding her, she cleared them in one leap, landing on the concrete below and crippling her knee joints. Resilient, she tried to keep running, but her pain stabbed her legs; she managed a stiff wobble.

“NOT THIS TIME!” came a woman’s voice, very nearby.

Nika wheeled around to fight her enemy off, but she never made it. A bullet punctured her lung and she froze, ten metres from the exit door. A second later she hit the cement.

“Got her!”

The world swam before her eyes, and her breath caught jaggedly in her throat. Yet, even as she died, Nika Petrova felt as though she had triumphed, for she had not let her secret die with her.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Default Re: The Keystone Conspiracy.

Nice, as always. I like the crisp realistic descriptions, they paint very vivid pictures in my mind, although that might be because I'm just after playing Counter Strike. Regardless, I like.

Ooh, mystery! Damn you mystery!
    *yawn*

Possibly temporarily back. Again.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Re: The Keystone Conspiracy.

Darien: Thanks, I'm trying to work a lot on my writing style in this fic, at least, I plan to. "Vivid" is definitely a good sign. :biggrin:

First chapter coming soon!

Cheers!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.