Thread: Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Final Up!

Default Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Final Up!

SUMMER SOLSTACE GRAND PRIX

Welcome all to the final contest of the year before Grand Festival. Like the February Contest, this one will be hosted by this guy! Because this contest is the last chance for many of you to enter the championship, I'll make this one extra special and extra spiffy...

You will all be using two (2) pokémon. Round one will use the first choice, and the battle round will use the second choice. However, the second appeal round will be the special round: both of the pokémon will perform their appeals together, working in tandem to create either a majestically simple or simply majestic appeal of greatness using six attacks (three per pokémon).

As per usual, the two appeals will be scored out of ten (10.00) points; during the first round, the four top scores will move onto the second round. Similarly, the two top scorers in the second appeal round will move onto the battle round. The battle rounds are also standard; one pokémon per person, going head-to-head for five rounds with the winner's pokémon having the highest average of energy and health at the end.

Contest Rules
    1.) Eight (8) participants for round one; four (4) for round two; two (2) for round three.
    2.) One (1) pokémon for round one; two (2) for round two; one (1) for round three.
    3.) Battle Arena: Standard Contest Hall.
    4.) Battle Theme: Up for grabs...
    5.) Participants:
    ..a.) TheBlueAvenger [Jimmy T., male lotad]
    ..b.) Ace64 [Firefly, male volbeat]
    ..c.) Negrek [Kudzo, male treecko]
    ..d.) Blademaster [Sherman, male chikorita]
    ..e.) Weasel Overlord [Thom Yorke, shiny male aipom]
    ..f.) Chris 2.0 [Solvee, female espeon]
    ..g.) Charles Legend [Rookie, male houndour]
    ..h.) darktyranitar [Kizu, female scyther]

Also, Grey's retiring. Yeah.

-Grey
    -Grey

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Summer Solstace Grand Prix (June Contest)

I'll join. My first contestant will be Jimmy T., my male Lotad.

Okay Jimmy, start off by shooting a Water Gun straight up in the air, and follow that with an Ice Beam to freeze it in midair. Then fire a Bullet Seed at the frozen mass to make it shatter into millions of pretty ice shards.

Water Gun ~ Ice Beam ~ Bullet Seed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

My last (and first) chance! Two Pokemon in an appeal-nice. I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure how to make it work...Anyways...

I'll go with Firefly, my male Volbeat!Okay, let's set up a light show. Use Double Team to create about nine clones. Arrange yourselves in a flying 'V',facing the audience, then use Tail Glow to spell out the letter in unison! Finally, use Aerial Ace to create a storm of lights, zooming around each other!

Double Team~Tail Glow~Aerial Ace
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASB Team:Can you believe I only wanted 6?

Thanks, Saffire Persian!(If you like the banner, go ask her to make you one, too.)

ASBRPG Card

Slugma Extraordinaire Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I'll enter with Kudzu, my male treecko.

Kudzu, begin the appeal with a combo of swords dance and dragonbreath. While you're spinning in your swords dance, breathe out a cloud of dragon energy so that it will get whipped up into the vortex of air generated by your dance and shroud you in a pink tornado. Then, when you complete your dance, quickly and using your enhanced strength from swords dance dig your way straight down so that, when the dragonbreath tornado dissipates, it will appear that you've pulled a disappearing act and vanished from the field.

Swords Dance + Dragonbreath ~ Dig (down)
    Avatar made by Jade Dragonair. Thanks very much, JD!

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

I wanna join, too - I'm in!

I'll start of with my newest recruit - the baby (M) Chikorita, Sherman!

Sherman, use Ancient Power to uproot a few baseball-sized rocks and spin them around yourself like a twister before dropping them. Then, use your Vine Whip to pick up 3 of them and juggle them, just like we practiced, before tossing them as high as you can. End with a Razor Leaf to cut the rocks into little pieces.

Move: Ancientpower, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

[color=silver]Argh! They always elude me! Right, this time I'm a'usin my newest pokemon, Thom Yorke, the *shiny* Aipom! ^^

Right Thom, lets wow the judges! (hopefully)

Start the round with a Swift. Spray those stars up into the air, then use a combo of Agility and Fury Swipes to attack each star as it's in the air.

~Swift (up into the air) ~Agility + Fury Swipes (swipe each star)

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'm starting this one with Solvee [F Espeon].

Use a swift attack to begin with, and then use psychic to manipulate the stars into a series of rings (as many as possible). Then as you leap through them, use morning sun to achieve a golden glow!

Swift -- Psychic - Morning sun

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Alright I well try one last time for this year, with Rookie my male Houndour

Ok Rookie, I want you to start off with a fire spin with yourself in the middle then fire a Will O Wisp out of the fire spin and around it then finsh by shooting out a shadow ball to smash out the spin.

Fire spin - Will-o-wisp - Shadow ball

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

' 3 ' Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I guess I'll join in! I'll be using Kizu, my female Scyther.

Kizu, I want you to start with a Silver Wind right above you. Then, use Sword Dance to make the powder spin around you. Then, kept the wind spinning around you before you get out of the tornado with a Pursuit.

Silver Wind ~ Sword Dance ~ Pursuit
    Please take it easy~

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dang, to late again. Darn.

[font=Palatino Linotype]SUMMER SOLSTACE GRAND PRIX

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |

hall
    standard contest

background music
    yu miyake, masayuk tanaka – katamari on the rock

appeal round one
    Drew, Grey, whatever you call him, stands proudly in front of eight promising coordinators for the last time. His solemn farewell away from the world of the TPML is palpable for even the newest of newcomers.

The contest hall’s ceilings are littered with lights of similar sizes and shapes as they shine brightly down upon the spectators, eager to find out just which one of the eight contesters has what it takes to be acknowledged in the Grand Festival set to start in July, just one month from today.

TheBlueAvenger is one of those coordinators, having won the last contest hosted by Drew in February. He seems to be the crowd favorite—the nicknames he uses certainly preferential by everyone.

Gripping a solitaire blue poké ball in his right hand, TheBlueAvenger, or TBA for short, steps forward, parting with the eight others. The contest veteran smirks wildly as he tosses the blue-shaded ball to the ground; it explodes in a sea of light of a similar hue (he must have ‘em custom-made) as it slaps against the floor.

Jimmy T., the oddly, yet appropriately, named lotad graces the contest hall wailing loudly. “Okay Jimmy,” TBA beckons, “start off by shooting a Water Gun straight up in the air, and follow that with an Ice Beam to freeze it in midair. Then fire a Bullet Seed at the frozen mass to make it shatter into millions of pretty ice shards.”

Taking a few seconds to think of how he’ll pull off the attack, Jimmy T. immediately readies himself by spurting off a rapid blast of water into the air. As the water nears it’s height, T. then shoots upward, similarly, a beam of solidified water which crashes into the water before it comes downward. The ice manages to solidify some of the water, but the most of it merely splashes away, hitting the floor in various places. Jimmy T., however, does not fret, and immediately shoots off a barrage of tiny seeds in a repetitive stagger. Quickly, the ice is eaten away by the tiny lotad’s nature-based attack before it even hits the floor.

The judges take a few notes before nodding at TBA, signaling for the next coordinator to step up to the plate.

Ace64, a relative newcomer, takes point. He was the host of last month’s contest, but has not yet played a part on the other side of the spectrum. He grips a default-colored ball in his left hand before tossing it towards the ground in a similar manner to his first adversary. The ball crashes to the floor in the same fashion as TBA’s before releasing a large firefly, named Firefly, who hovers just a few feet above the wet floor.

“Okay, let's set up a light show,” said Ace64 to his pokémon, “Use Double Team to create about nine clones. Arrange yourselves in a flying 'V', facing the audience, then use Tail Glow to spell out the letter in unison! Finally, use Aerial Ace to create a storm of lights, zooming around each other!”

Firefly ponders for a moment, conjuring energy for the interesting plea his master had for him: within a few seconds, the large bug pokémon had created a few illusions in for formation of a triangle (sans the bottom piece). Summoning nine doubles would be far too much of a strain on his part, and the judges noted that; Firefly only conjured five in total, two behind him on each side. Another moment had elapsed, and Firefly, along with his series of fakes, all brightened up their tails swiftly. The audience became mesmerized by the glowing letter as the several Firefly’s began to dart around the contest hall quickly; a fury of lights and bugs caught the attention of the judges before Firefly grew weary and dispelled his attacks.

The judges signal for the next appeal.

“Kudzu,” shouted Negrek, also a newcomer, as she tossed a red and white-colored ball onto the floor, “begin the appeal with a combo of Swords Dance and Dragonbreath. While you're spinning in your swords dance, breathe out a cloud of dragon energy so that it will get whipped up into the vortex of air generated by your dance and shroud you in a pink tornado. Then, when you complete your dance, quickly and using your enhanced strength from swords dance Dig your way straight down so that, when the Dragonbreath tornado dissipates, it will appear that you've pulled a disappearing act and vanished from the field.”

The scrappy and young treecko pondered for a few seconds before spinning around gracefully whilst shooting off a barrage of green flames. The Dragonbreath whirled about greatly, encompassing the small grass lizard. As the green tornado grows larger and larger, Kudzu takes point and proceeds to slam his tiny fists into the ground. Even though his power is greater, digging through the wooden floors prove to be a task of great difficulty. Knowing he only has a short time left before the flames disperse, Kudzu frantically bashes at the floor with his claws, creating a small opening for himself. With the difficult part over with, Kudzu then digs into the soil below and successfully evades sight as the flames die down. The audience looks amazed, but then immediately sigh in amusement as they see the hole in the ground.

Negrek, the newcomer, recalls her grass pokémon as Blademaster steps up to the plate, summoning another grass type.

“Sherman,” he starts, “use Ancient Power to uproot a few baseball-sized rocks and spin them around yourself like a twister before dropping them. Then, use your Vine Whip to pick up 3 of them and juggle them, just like we practiced, before tossing them as high as you can. End with a Razor Leaf to cut the rocks into little pieces.”

“Chika,” chimes the grass pokémon, Sherman, as he closes his eyes and focuses on the arena floor. There weren’t any rocks about before, but thanks to Kudzu, who had previously dug up the ground, he has something to work with. Telepathically, Sherman lifts up several clumps of dirt from the hole and has them float around him majestically. A few seconds pass, and the dirt clumps fall to the floor, but Sherman is quick and manages to snatch two of them with his vines. Juggling them would prove much more difficult considering he is using dirt clumps and not actual rocks; Sherman avails anyway, “juggling” the two clumps with his vines briefly as bits of dirt fall to the ground. Ending it quickly, Sherman tosses the two piles high into the air whilst simultaneously shooting off four razor-edged leaves after them. The razor leaves cut away the dirt clumps easily as it rains back to the ground.

The judges deliberate, calling up the next able coordinator, Weasel Overlord, the overlord of weasels. The young girl from across the pond smiles happily as she releases a newborn aipom into the court. The red-furred monkey claps cheerfully as he waits his trainer’s commands. The judges admired the shiny red fur of Thom Yorke; however, the name of the game wasn’t “beauty contest”.

Weasel Overlord takes a few seconds before ecstatically shouting to her newest member, “Start the round with a Swift. Spray those stars up into the air, then use a combo of Agility and Fury Swipes to attack each star as it's in the air.”

The aipom joyously complies, spitting out five large stars into the air. As they fly greatly, Thom Yorke springs back on his tail, shooting himself upwards with a heightened agility. The monkey slashes at each star menacingly as they come to the ground; not missing even one, he lands on the floor with a stunned audience.

Weasel Overlord smirks once more before recalling her pokémon; the judges do their thing as Chris 2.0, one of the moderators (also from across the pond), steps up to the plate. He calls forth Solvee, whom is the only evolved pokémon on the roster today.

“Use a Swift attack to begin with, and then use Psychic to manipulate the stars into a series of rings,” the moderator started, whispering into the psychic fox’s ear, “as many as possible.” His voice then boomed as his final command was made, “Then as you leap through them, use Morning Sun to achieve a golden glow!”

The kitsune barked gleefully as his eyes remained fixated on the area around him. In a similar manner as Thom Yorke, Solvee summoned a furry of several stars to dance around for a few half-seconds before he halts them in the air with his mind. As they glistened with an aura of mental energy, Solvee rearranged them with only his mind into a series of three rings. Keeping his mind at ease, Solvee diverted his energy towards the roof; there was no sunlight to take advantage of, but Solvee concentrated on the flickering lights above, as they gave him an eerie hue of radiant energy. His mental presence waning, Solvee leapt through the rings quickly; they fell to the ground and disappeared shortly after he leapt through them.

The judges tallied, and called for the next appeal—one Charles Legend.

Charles Legend, the dragon trainer, whom doesn’t actually have any dragons on his team, steps up with his dark hound, Rookie, beside him. The confident veteran ponders for a moment about just what he should do to appeal to the judges, then calls for his own gain, “Ok Rookie,” he started, “I want you to start off with a Fire Spin with yourself in the middle then fire a Will-o-Wisp out of the fire spin and around it then finish by shooting out a Shadow Ball to smash out of the spin.”

“Houndour!,” the hound barks whilst summoning a massive tornado of flames and fury to ripple through the contest hall. Rookie, inside the vortex of fire, proceeds to shoot off an eerie ember of ghostly fire which shoots out the top of the flaming funnel; it proceeds to be carried by the fiery twister around and around. To end the appeal, Rookie then charges up a dark ball of ghostly energy; it grows massive and plows through the spiral twister easily, dispersing the flames.

Legend and Rookie step away from the appeal with smiles on their faces as the final coordinator, Darktyranitar, along with his scyther, Kuzu, take their place.

“Kizu,” he says, wasting no time, “I want you to start with a Silver Wind right above you. Then, use Swords Dance to make the powder spin around you. Then, kept the wind spinning around you before you get out of the tornado with a Pursuit.

The female mantis, the only female pokémon in the contest hall today, steps forward confidently as she calls forth a wind of silvery energy. The shiny powder lofts in the air for a few seconds before Kuzu begins to dance around, creating a similar vortex. The bug-energy-induced tornado is thin, but effective; Kuzu halts her dance, but the tornado continues. The scyther then gleams with dark energy as she barrels away from her own attack. The bug energy dissipates, and her appeal finishes.

The judges take their deliberations, and then ready themselves to disappoint four promising coordinators.

the scores

ice chipper
    TheBlueAvenger and Jimmy T.
    The appeal was nice and simplistic, however, the Water Gun seemed like it was tacked on and wasn’t necessary overall. Taking advantage of lotad’s conflicting elements (water and grass) was a good idea, however.

flying v
    Ace64 and Firefly
    Interesting. As stated before, having nine clones would be too straining, even for psychic pokémon who specialize in trickery such as that. However, Firefly did get his point across; having him dart around with Tail Glow was a nice touch.

disappearing act
    Negrek and Kudzu
    It was a nice idea, but digging in a closed environment such as a gymnasium or contest hall isn’t easy, especially for a treecko.

juggling
    Blademaster and Sherman
    Juggling was a nice tactic, however, like Negrek, you didn’t take the arena into consideration and you were otherwise forced to use clumps of dirt rather than actual rocks to pull off your appeal. Had you’ve worked in an outside arena, your appeal would’ve gone better.

i have fury!
    Weasel Overlord and Thom Yorke
    Simple and to the point. This particular appeal showcased aipom’s stunning agility as well as his unlikely fury.

starlit sky
    Chris 2.0 and Solvee
    The appeal was great, but there was a lot going on at one time which was draining of Solvee. He managed to pull off the appeal, but it made him very tired after which.

dark fire
    Charles Legend and Rookie
    Very nice. The stream of attacks was great, showcasing the elements rather well. Fire Spin was nice, then busting out with Shadow Ball was a good way to show off your talents as well. Good show.

silver windstorm
    Darktyranitar and Kuzu
    Using Sword’s Dance was a tad bit unoriginal after Negrek’s appeal. In fact, a lot of the appeals today had something to do with a tornado of various elements. The appeal, however, was pretty good.

next round
    The next round, as I said before, is a double-appeal using two pokémon rather than one. The four winners of the first round will PM me with their pokémon (including the one from this round), as well as their appeal. Upon receiving them all, I will post them up here. That said, those going into the next round are as follows:

Charles Legend and Rookie (8.5)
    Weasel Overlord and Thom Yorke (8.1)
    Ace64 and Firefly (8.0)
    Chris 2.0 and Solvee (7.9)

Happy Hunting.

-Grey
    -Grey

Default Re: Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Appeal Up!

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |

hall
    standard contest

background music

appeal round two
    Four coordinators already eliminated, the remaining four, Ace64, Weasel Overlord, Chris 2.0, and Charles Legend, step up to the metaphorical plate.

Ace64 comes forward, boasting the second-highest appeal score of the previous round. Holding two poké balls in his hands this time, he tosses them high into the air; before they even hit the ground, two pokémon of similar statures stand proudly. Firefly gleams gleefully, whilst Solidus, a slithery ekans, hisses in a menacing fashion.

Ace coughs under his breath before calling out his second appeal, “Solidus, first create a smokescreen with Haze to block both you and Firefly from view. It should be smoky, but not enough so that it blocks out all light. After the haze has been created, Firefly, create another clone with Double Team: space yourselves out, and use Tail Glow within the haze, so that it seems that the cloud of smoke has 'eyes.' Then, Solidus, create an Earthquake, but not so strong so that you split the earth. After the Earthquake, Firefly, use a Silver Wind to fan the smoke towards the audience. Then, while Firefly fans the smoke, use Screech to simulate a monster's call."

Nodding to their trainer and again to themselves, Firefly and Solidus get into position. The slithery, purple snake, hisses loudly whilst simultaneously exhausting a light cloud of smog into the contest hall, encompassing both pokémon. Firefly muses, creating a clone of himself very carefully. Both bug pokémon space themselves apart towards each end of the smoke cloud, simultaneously flashing their tails brilliantly. The audience is wooed by the “smoke monster”, but the appeal is not complete. Solidus quits pouring smoke into the large cloud, and instead bashes his tail weakly towards the ground. It sends a shivering quake throughout the arena floor; Firefly then takes heed and flickers his tiny wings about, causing a sudden wind chill from within the cloud. The light fog is pushed towards the audience as Solidus screeches loudly, adding to the illusion wonderfully. The cloud dissipates, and Firefly’s double duplicate diverts. They, as well as Ace64, take their bow as Chris 2.0 steps forward.

Chris 2.0 remains confident despite Ace64’s intimidating appeal. On the inside, however, he is reminded greatly of LOST. He summons his two creatures—the graceful fox-cat-thing, Solvee, and the burly rock titan, Tonne. The boulder groans loudly, wondering why he is being used for a “beauty pageant” and not for an all-out offensive attack.

2.0 readies his appeal, “Tonne I want you to use a Swords Dance. Solvee fire a
    Swift into the attack so they spiral around Tonne and his ghostly swords. Next, relax, Tonne, and loosen your muscles so that Solvee can use Psychic to lift you above her. Finally, Solvee spread yourself out with a Double Team as Tonne falls in the middle and uses a Self-destruct.”

Tonne grimaces as he conjures a ghostly energy. Several swords created out of thin air circle around the large boulder creepily as Solvee launches a barrage of swift stars towards him. They do not hit, however, as the wind current traps them, and forces them to encircle the golem as well. Tonne then relaxes his muscles, and allows Solvee to elevate him high into the air. Being a pure psychic, this proves little difficulty. However, as she averts her energy by creating several clones in a widespread circle, he concentration on the rock pokémon loosens. Tonne falls to the ground forcefully, and he creates a heavy explosion upon impact. The explosion sends rippling shockwaves throughout the arena, devouring the espeon clones, as well as causing a good deal of damage to the psychic fox-cat-thing as well. The enhanced power coming from Tonne’s Swords Dance wasn’t, perhaps, a good idea.

Tonne and Solvee are recalled into their respective poké balls as Chris 2.0 steps away from the appeal. The judges take several notes, then call forth the next appeal—Weasel Overlord.

Her smile as wide as the crowd’s stare, she releases Thom Yorke and Aelethil Dwin'arnith—a rather large, rather-intimidating arcanine. This ferocious tiger-hound proves to the audience that Chris 2.0 isn’t the only one with an evolved contester.

“Thom, I want you to start things off with a Defense Curl. Make sure you curl up as tightly as you can! Aelethil, I want you to start with an Odor Sleuth. Sniff out Thom before using a nice Extremespeed attack to get to him, then scoop him up with your nose and throw him up into the air. Thom, next, use an Iron Tail when you're in the air to make your tail glow prettily, and finish up with an Agility to spin yourself around. Ael, finish the move-set with a majestic Howl as Thom lands in front of you."

The shiny aipom claps happily before curling up into a ball a few feet away from his ally. The large hound sniffs out the monkey ball, darting forward in a brilliant showing of speed upon detection. Ael collects the aforementioned monkey ball with his nose before forcing the aipom high into the air. Thom uncurls himself; his tail glowing a silvery shine as he twirls himself about. The audience screeches worriedly for the shiny monkey as he spins around and around. Seconds before he lands, Aelethil breaks the silence with a piercing howl, showing off his confidence in the smaller ally. Yorke lands on the ground gracefully, and his iron tail shatters.

The two of them take a bow before inevitably being recalled to their balls. The judges take a few more notes before summoning the last coordinator—Charles Legend. Legend smirks confidently before sending out two familiar pokémon.

A houndour and a totodile emerge from the poké balls. “Okay, guys,” he says to them, “lets do it like we practiced, start off by stand next to each other and fire of a Swift at the same time then use a combined Flamethrower and Hydro Pump with the Flamethrower wrapped around the Hydro Pump and sweep it over the stars to destroy them all. Then, to end this appeal, Rookie, use Charm on the audience and Drew; as well, Snappy, Mimic Rookie’s Charm and also use it on the audience.”

Both pokémon begin by simultaneously shooting off a volley of ten combined stars which sail around the hall gracefully. Snappy then hurls out a large collection of water towards the stars, whilst Rookie breathes out a stream of flames in hopes to wrap around the water. This proves unsuccessful for the duo, as the flames are quickly devoured by the waters whilst steam lofts overhead. The water then destroys the star volley, however. Rookie, sheepishly, then glances at the arena whilst giving off those “sad puppy dog” eyes. Snappy takes note of this, and then applies it to his own. Snappy doesn’t have “sad puppy dog” eyes, and his appearance isn’t as cute as the audience would hope.

The three of them take a bow, and the judges make their notes.

the scores

the monster
    Solidus and Firefly
    Very nice and very creative. Creating a monster using the illusionary tactics with Smog and a combined Double Team/Tail Glow was very unique. It’s safe to say that this appeal is one-of-a-kind. The only qualms I have is that Firefly was basically using the same attacks as the previous round, but they were used resourcefully, so I didn’t take off too much for them. The two pokémon worked in sync, and it made the judges feel that no two other pokémon could pull this off. Well done.

loyalty
    Aelethil Dwin'arnith and Thom Yorke
    Another simple appeal. This one was quite effective, however. Thom Yorke flailing through the air was a nice touch that had the audience on edge; however, certain things, such as Ael using Odor Sleuth, felt like they were merely tact on. Overall, it was a good appeal.

watch for falling (exploding) rocks
    Tonne and Solvee
    Oi. The appeal was nice, but I don’t think the explosion was a good way to end it. Tonne ate through the clones, yes, but he also caused a great deal of damage to his ally in doing so, especially with the added Swords Dance.

amalgam
    Snappy and Rookie
    It was a nice idea on paper, but it couldn’t be executed. Having Snappy use Hydro Pump rather than Water Gun wasn’t a good idea, especially when you were using Flamethrower to wrap around it. The Charm duo also felt tact on, as if it had nothing to do with the actual appeal.

next round
    The last round is a battle to the non-death. The coordinators will be using their second pokémon to battle together. Those in question:

Ace64 and Solidus (9.5)
    Weasel Overlord and Aelethil Dwin'arnith (8.5)

Weasel Overlord, because you had the lower of the two scores, you and Aelethil will be first in choosing attacks. Good luck to the both of you..

-Grey
    -Grey

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Semi-Finals Up!

Good luck guys! Thanks for the ever-so-efficient speed Drew. Another reason to miss you...

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Oh well, there is always next year or when ever the normal contests start up again after the Grand Festival....

~Charles legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

Elite Trainer

[color=silver]Wahey! Final round! *does a happy circular jig*

Right Ael, let's give this our best shot! Begin with a Safeguard. We're fighting a poison type, and we certainly do not like poison.
    Follow that up with a nice Howl to scare Solidus, then finish the round with an Aerial Ace, to show off your speed and do some damage.

~Safeguard ~Howl ~Aerial Ace

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I must admit, it is nice not to worry about poison..

Your first battle, Solidus- let's give em' a reason to fear snakes! That dog's too quick- move in close and Crunch hard on his right front paw to try and cripple him. Drown out his voice with Screech. Finish with Earthquake- between the shaking ground and an injured leg, let's see how quick he is.

Crunch~Screech~Earthquake
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

Thanks, Saffire Persian!(If you like the banner, go ask her to make you one, too.)

ASBRPG Card

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |
    |

hall
    standard contest

background music

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]confident
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 100
    HEALTH |||||||||||||||||||| 100

aelethil / arcanine / male
    [left]
    [color=#666666][size=1]male / solidus / ekans
    100 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    100 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    confident

commands
    [color=#cccccc]1safeguard [arcanine] / 2howl [ekans] /3aerial ace [ekans] ARCANINE
    EKANS 1crunch [arcanine] / 2screech [arcanine] / 3earthquake [arcanine]

round one of five
    The two remaining coordinators, Ace64, the "contest newbie", and Weasel Overlord, who was just narrowly beaten by TheBlueAvenger in the February Contest, both re-release their two prospective pokémon. The large cannis creature, Ael, easily towers over his opponent. The illusionary Solidus, however, doesn't feel threatened in any way whatsoever. The attacks have been called out, and both pokémon ready themselves to make their trainers proud:

Ael begins the round by conjuring a protective veil to engulf him (7% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith). Whilst the fiery hound does this, however, Solidus immediately takes offense and dives towards his larger adversary. His fangs trickle with a sense of dark energy as he sinks them into the hound's right forepaw; Ael roars in pain as the dark energy sinks through his paw (6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 6% – Solidus). The ekans retreats after his attack had been done, but then prepares to counteract against Ael's piercing howl with a penetrating shriek. A few deaf ears later, and neither of them seem to have an effect on the other at all. Ael sighs, then leaps into the air painfully, summoning a series of dart-like air pellets that shoot themselves towards the venomous snake. They slash across Solidus causing minor damage (5% – Solidus; 5% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith). Taking the attack lightly, Solidus slams his tail harshly towards the ground below, sending a quick tremor through the arena floor. Caught in the maelstorm of ground, Ael howls in pain once more (8% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 8% – Solidus).

the results
    The first battle round concluded; Ace64 begins the next round with his attacks first.

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (4)
    right forepaw wounded
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 088
    HEALTH |||||||||||||||||||| 086

[left]
    095 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    086 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    confident

-Grey
    -Grey

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Good job, Solidus.Let's keep up the pressure.

Try another Earthquake. Then, so we can worry less about that dog's speed, move in close with Pursuit and spit a Sludge Bomb at him.
    Earthquake~Pursuit~Sludge Bomb

However, if he Protects against the first Earthquake, follow up with one more.
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASBRPG Card

Elite Trainer

[color=silver]Ael, start things off with an Endure to, well, endure that Quake. Follow it up with an offensive Fire Spin and finish off with a Flamethrower, to hopefully burn that snake.

~Endure ~Fire Spin ~Flamethrower

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |
    |

hall
    standard contest

background music

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (4)
    right forepaw wounded
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 088
    HEALTH |||||||||||||||||||| 086

[left]
    095 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    086 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    confident

commands
    [color=#cccccc]1endure [arcanine] / 2fire spin [ekans] /3flamethrower [ekans] ARCANINE
    EKANS 1earthquake [arcanine] / 2persuit [arcanine] / 3sludge bomb [arcanine]

round two of five
    Ael's forepaw is starting to heal nicely; however, as the Solid(us) Snake prepares for another massive quake, the large fire hound tenses up his muscles and prepares to endure the devastating attack. Solidus slams his tail to the ground once more, and another weak earthquake sends shockwaves throughout the arena, causing less damage than before (6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 8% – Solidus; 8% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith). Solidus, annoyed by his opponent's endurance, slithers forward with an incredible sense of speed. The arcanine can do nothing to evade his foe's attack; Solidus charges at Aelethil with an incredibly dark aura surrounding him, and bashes the hound in the side (6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 5% – Solidus). Enraged, Ael summons a tornado of massive flames which proceeds to envelop the venomous snake. Solidus hisses in pain as the flames crash through his scaley hide before dispersing moments later (5% – Solidus; 4% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

Charred scales, Solidus counteracts by shooting off a well-collected gob of goo which crashes against's Aelethil's orange fur. He yelps in pain as the poisonous glob sinks through his flesh, but worries not of poison (7% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 5% – Solidus). The large hound immediately shoots off a fiery chain of explosive tongues which shoot through the snake pokémon. Having already been hit with a fire attack this round, Solidus is a little used to the pain, (7% – Solidus; 5% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

the results
    With the second of five rounds elapsed, both coordinators (as well as the audience) are getting edgy and hopeful.

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (3)
    right forepaw healing
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 069
    HEALTH |||||||||||||||||||| 067

[left]
    076 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    068 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    slightly charred

-Grey
    -Grey

Elite Trainer

Default Re: Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Battle Round 2!

[color=silver]Okay Ael, let's begin with a Swagger! Follow up with a Crunch, hold onto Solidus, then finish the round with a nice Overheat. Up close, it should be nasty.

~Swagger ~Crunch (hold on tightly) ~Overheat

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Ouch...this is going to be risky..

Solidus, close your eyes and Screech to block the insults from Ael. Next, since Ael going to make eye contact anyway, freeze him in his tracks with a Glare. Finally, throw off his aim with Earthquake. However, if you do get snagged, sink your teeth into Ael's nose with Giga Drain.

Screech (eyes closed)~Glare~Earthquake/Giga Drain(nose)
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASBRPG Card

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |
    |

hall
    standard contest

background music

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (3)
    right forepaw healing
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 069
    HEALTH |||||||||||||||||||| 067

[left]
    076 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    068 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    slightly charred

commands
    [color=#cccccc]1swagger [ekans] / 2crunch [ekans] /3overheat [ekans] ARCANINE
    EKANS 1screech [arcanine] / 2glare [arcanine] / 3giga drain [arcanine]

round three of five
    The audience continues to howl excitedly as the battle roars into the third round. Ael's paw seems to be healing quite nicely; the large fire dog begins to strut around, barking out towards the venomous serpent in hopes to lull him into an abominable rage; Solidus, however, isn't buying it. With his eyes slammed shut, the ekans screeches loudly enough to block out the taunts from the arcanine. Aelethil sighs, darting towards his foe; his speed isn't as great as before, but he manages just fine. Solidus takes this opportunity to stare down his leviathan adversary. Ael loses his concentration for a few seconds before chomping his teeth, soaked with dark energy, into the snake (5% – Solidus; 5% - Aelethil Dwin'arnith). The damage was dulled due to the arcanine's lapsed concentration, however Solidus still cried out in pain.

The arcanine's grip on his foe loosens as Solidus himself lunges at Ael's nose with his fangs ready to sap energy. Aelethil barks out in pain as his lifeforce is drained slowly (4% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 2% – Solidus; 5% – Solidus). The venomous snake withdraws, happy to've absorbed his foe's energy. However, Aelethil erupts with a fury of volcanic stature. The large fire hound explodes violently, engulfing the ekans in a sea of fire at the cost of his fire energy (13% – Solidus; 10% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

the results
    Third round complete. Yeah.

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (2)
    fire energy lacking
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 054
    HEALTH ||||||||||||||||||||| 063

[left]
    060 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    063 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    charred

-Grey
    -Grey

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Hmmm...let's catch up. Earthquake first, then Pursuit to close in, and Slam your tail into his throat.

Earthquake~Pursuit~Slam(throat)

If for some reason you have to keep your distance, just use Earthquake.
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASBRPG Card

Elite Trainer

[color=silver]Okay Ael, let's Endure that Earthquake again! Then, as Solidus comes in close for his Pursuit, use a nice Iron Tail to slap him in the face. When he comes in again for his Slam, I want you to use an Extremespeed to get out of his way and hit him back as good as you've got!

~Endure ~Iron Tail ~Extremespeed

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |
    |

hall
    standard contest

background music

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (2)
    fire energy lacking
    HEALTH ||||||||||||||||||||| 033

[left]
    060 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    063 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    charred

commands
    [color=#cccccc]1endure [arcanine] / 2iron tail [ekans] /3extremespeed [ekans] ARCANINE
    EKANS 1earthquake [arcanine] / 2pursuit [arcanine] / 3slam [arcanine]

round four of five
    Solidus' tail quakes uncomfortably as he prepares for yet another earthquake. Aelethil prepares once more, tightening his muscles to endure the inevitable tremor. As the floor ripples uncontrollably, Ael barks in pain (6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 8% – Solidus; 8% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

The ekans, very tired from his fourth earth-based attack, darts towards his cannis foe with an uncanny dark aura about him. Aelethil awaits patiently with his tail wagging behind; it shimmers in a cool metallic color as the ekans slithers quickly. However, before the snake can bash his foe, Aelethil coordinates himself, slamming his metallic tail into the poison-type sharply (6% – Solidus; 6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith). Dizzy and unamused, Solidus recoils in hopes to prepare for his next attack. Aelethil waits patiently as the venomous snake lashes forward; Alethil isn't quick enough to evade the attack because of his injured paw, but still manages to avoid the blunt of the attack (3% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 3% – Solidus). With his newfound speed, Dwin'arnith slams into the snake harshly (6% – Solidus; 7% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

the results
    Four rounds complete; one round remains, and Weasel Overlord is on the button.

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (1)
    fire energy lacking
    very tired

[left]
    048 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    052 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    charred

-Grey
    -Grey

Elite Trainer

[color=silver]Okay Ael, let's do our own Crunch attack! Get in close, attach yourself to that snakey and don't let go! Follow it up with a Strength to toss him to the floor and finish up with another Iron Tail, to hopefully win this!

~Crunch ~Strength (throw Solidus to the ground) ~Iron Tail

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Energy means nothing at this point, Solidus, go all out!

Allow yourself to take into his jaws, then use your own Crunch to latch onto Ael's face. Aim for the top of the muzzle, there seems to be less fur there. Sink your teeth in so that you stay attached after he spits you, and inject your venom with Poison Fang. If you can hang on and avoid that Iron Tail, use another Poison Fang. If not, spit an Acid in his eyes as you release.

Crunch(muzzle)~Poison Fang(hold on)~Poison Fang(if you're attached)/Acid(eyes)
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASBRPG Card

Hosted by the Arbiter

| | | | | | |
    | | |
    |

hall
    standard contest

background music

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]safeguard (1)
    fire energy lacking
    very tired

[left]
    048 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    052 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    charred

commands
    [color=#cccccc]1crunch [ekans] / 2strength [ekans] /3iron tail [ekans] ARCANINE
    EKANS 1crunch [arcanine] / 2poison fang [arcanine] / 3acid [arcanine]

final round
    The fifth round of five commenses; the victor will take his or her rightful place in the ranks of the nine other coordinators for the Grand Festival. Aelethil takes point, latching his fangs onto the tail of the ever-flexible Solidus; the ekans scrambles in pain (6% – Solidus; 6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith), however he immediately lunges foreward, latching onto the arcanine's muzzle violently (7% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 6% – Solidus). Still attached to the hound's nose, Solidus begins to pump the fire beast with a powerful venom. The attack, however, can only do so much. Aelethil's safeguard veil keeps him from taking too much damage (5% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 3% – Solidus). Aelethil groans in pain before whipping his head downward. His inevitable strength causes Solidus to release his grip, causing damage to the both of them (4% – Solidus; 3% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 5% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith).

Very tired, the arcanine then pounds his foe with his shimmering tail, causing a good amount of damage (5% – Solidus; 5% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith). The snake screeches in pain, but endures long enough to spit a glob of acid in the eyes of his attacker, causing a great deal of damage to the fire hound (6% – Aelethil Dwin'arnith; 4% – Solidus). The acid temporarily blinds Ael, but it matters not; the buzzer sounds, and the end of the match is now.

the results

Ace64/Weasel Overlord
    [right][size=1][color=#cccccc]fire energy lacking
    very tired
    blind
    ENERGY |||||||||||||||||||| 038
    HEALTH ||||||||||||||||||||| 041

[left]
    034 |||||||||||||||||||| HEALTH
    039 |||||||||||||||||||| ENERGY
    in pain

It was a tough match, especially that final round. However, Aelethil Dwin'arnith managed to hold out longer than his foe, boasting more health by the fin of the fifth round, so I award him, Thom Yorke, and Weasel Overlord the ribbon for this month's contest.

Grey's retiring.

-Grey
    -Grey

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Gah... 4 point difference. Oh well. Good match Weasel, and good luck in the Grand Festival. Thanks for reffing drew. I really enjoyed reading the descriptions, and it's too bad that you have to leave now.

Whee. Time to evolve now.
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASBRPG Card

Elite Trainer

[color=silver]*shakes Ace's hand* good match dude! I was sure that I was gonna lose that one... *hugs her ribbon* FINALLY! ahem... So, do I get points for winning this? *raises eyebrow*

*leaps and hugs Drew* Nooo... it's gonna be so wierd without you around! You keep in touch, dya hear! *shakes fist*

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Summer Solstace Grand Prix – Final Up!

Ace: You cant evolve Ekans unless it has battle exp. This doesn't count.

Weasel: Congratulations! You and Grey recieve 4 points each.

Grey: We're sorting out the...thing about you leaving. Stick around a little longer!

Weasel here is the June Ribbon, in recognition of your success:

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*