Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Contest: Final up!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default October Contest: Final up!

Since nobody offered to judge this one I'm stepping in. Again. Lol. Ok this is a double appeal contest which works as follows:

Round One: You use one Pokemon to perform a standard, 3-action appeal.
    Round Two: That and a new Pokemon are used in a standard double appeal. For those who are unsure, a double appeal involves two Pokemon using 3 attacks each.
    Round Three: A single Pokemon battle for 5 rounds using the Pokemon not used in Round One.

Example:

R1: I use Octillery
    R2: I use Octilery and Venusaur
    R3: I use Venusaur

This contest will have Ten competetors. We will lose four after Round One and a further Four after Round Two.

It is open to anybody.

Post who you are using as well as your Round One Appeal straight away.

You cannot reserve a place.

You are competing for 6 points and the October Ribbon, attached below.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Feelin' Like P. Diddy Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: October Contest!

I'll try my hand at a contest... I choose Kite, Male Roselia.

Kite, start with a beautiful Petal Dance, and try to focus just enough to not get confused. Next, use Swords Dance, using the vortex of air to spin the petals. Finally, use Pin Missile, using the raised accuracy from Swords Dance to impale petals.

I'm back.

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'll be using Starman Jr., my male Nincada.

Starman Jr., start with a Silver Wind - cloak yourself in it. Then use Faint Attack to fade from view before the Silver Wind disappears. Finally, after building up the suspense, reappear by driving a shiny, gllittering Metal Claw into the ground!

Silver Wind ~ Faint Attack ~ Metal Claw
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Well, I kinda wanted to ask Chris a question first, but since I won't be back until at least 12 hours from now and the slots may all be filled by then, then I'll just wing it.

For this Contest, I'll be using Mallow, my Castform (M).

OK, Mallow, we're gonna show off your mastery of the elements. First, aim an Ice Beam all around yourself, hopefully more than once - make an icy tube around you, and then aim a Flamethrower straight up so you look like a crystal candle. Finish up by levitating above the tube and blasting it apart with a Thunderbolt.

Move: Ice Beam - Flamethrower - Thunderbolt

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Contests, I love 'em.

Its too bad I don't know the arena, would make appealing easier, but I guess I'll just have do something general for this round.

I'll be using Luna, the female Venonat.

Alrighty Luna, lets show 'em what you can do. Start off by releasing a cloud of purple Poisonpowder, try to keep it close to your own body and surround yourself with it. Then, before the spores can settle, I want you to Disable them so they hang in the air, each spore surrounded by a glowing red light from the move. And finally, release a widespread Swift attack. Now, if you can, disable some of the stars so they too hang inside the cloud, while others shoot out like meteors. If you can't hold them, no biggie, just let them all fly out. Hopefully, the end effect will look like an impressive nebula.

Poisonpowder ~ Disable ~ Swift

Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'm guessing that his is a normal stadium.

I'm choosing my female Koffing that is yet to be named!

Alright, Koffing use a mild Haze and shroud the arena, then light up a beaken with Will-o-Wisp! Make sure that the flames are circling like supposed to. Then use a Psychic thrust from below and spout the flames into the air, making them fall down in a rain of fire!

Haze ~ Will-o-Wisp ~ Psychic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Just a note: unless stated, a contest always takes place in a Contest Hall. A medium sized room with audience on all sides, usually with a wood panelled floor and relatively high ceiling.

Appeals are looking pretty good so far guys!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

GRRRRR ARRRRGH

[font=sylfaen] Okies I'll me using Jumpin Junipers my female Yanma.

Ok Juni first I want you to use a Silver Wind, with you at the ceiling, make it spin with the centre directly below you. Then I want you to use a Signal Beam and Flash combo. Use Signal Beam as you zoom down the centre with a slow release Flash.

Silver Wind/Signal Beam and Flash[/color]
    Whoot.
    *Dad talking about his filling.*
    PL: Did it fall out?
    Dad: Yeah! ****in' thing only lasted two days.
    PL: Huh.
    Dad. I can stick my tongue down in my hole--
    He just stops.
    *hilarity ensues*

Mom: We're one warped family.
    *through hiccups*
    PL: I didn't know you were that flexible!

Winner of five Awards in RPG, including Best Writer.
    Winner of 2009 Golden Pen for Most Original Fiction

PSN: River_in_Time
    XBOX tag: DameSquishdalot

Quite shadow Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I'll give this another try. I'll send out Hailee, my female Sneasel.

Alright Hailee, start off by using Ice Beam to make a boulder of ice in front of you. Then show everybody your Strength by throwing the boulder straight up in the air. Finish off by using Rock Smash to destroy the boulder as it's coming back down.

~Ice Beam~Strength~Rock Smash~

((You could've told us what environment we're in. Edit: N/M))

All right, I'll start off with my male Gastly, Epik.

Epik, I want you to start by darkening the room (or whereever we're in) with Nightshade so that your gaseous body can't be seen, only your glowing eyes.

Then, I want you to make things spooky by using Psywave to make the darkness seem to glow with flickers of rainbow colors in different spots from the Psywave to build up suspense, but still try to keep it rather dark, but not dark enough to not see the Psywave at its work.

Then I want you to dart forward, and surround yourself in the ghostly Will-o-Wisp flames, and release them in all directions as you suddenly dart forward to startle the crowd.

Gastly (Epik, Male): Nightshade ~ Psywave ~ Will-o-Wisp

ASB Team

Want an ASB banner for your team? Want just a plain banner? Well the Saffire's Banner Shop has reopened! There are new ASB banner styles, so new and old requestees, check it out!

Banner Shop |

Metamorphosis
    New Chapter up Nov. 22, 2006

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Appers out of a puff a smog... you did not think I would show up did you Chris :p

"as you come out oof your ball clock yourself in a Smogcloud, then Leer the crowed then give them an Eerie Howl, before the smog revals you...." thinks 'As Rooke my male Houndour...'

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

You must fear the Reaper! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Yeah, I'm entering my first contest! I'll send out my newly renamed Pichu, Trish (f).

Alrighty Trish start off by using Attract on the crowd. Then jump up as high as you can and use Flash quickly fallowed by releasing a bunch of small Shock Waves all around you, so you look like a little firecracker going off.

~Attract~Flash~Shock Wave~

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

We have our 10!

The October 2006 Pokemon Contest

Appeal Stage 1

Another glorious month, another Contest in ASB. Alf, TPM’s resident Janitor, swept up the rubbish and litter from the last contest (which, in a quirky paradox, was somehow still taking place) and set the stage.

1: Kevvaelli and Roselia [M]
    Our first coordinator released his Pokemon; the spectacular Roselia leapt from her ball, cooing softly and landing. Spreading her buds out wide, she unleashed a whirling vortex of soft, delicate rose petals that spiraled around. The crowd watched, impressed; Kite then began charging up and summoning the ghostly swords of Swords Dance to surround her and the petals, giving them more furious momentum and power. As the wind died down, and the petals floated the ground, Kite frowned and blasted silver stingers through the air, shredding the petals into a beautiful sea of pink confetti.

Score: 6.9
    I understand exactly what you wanted to do with this appeal and I really liked the idea. Unfortunately though it could have done with a bit more thought. Swords dance was used second; this means it shielded the petals, which were contained within the swords space. It looked cool, but in my opinion, having the petals showering outside of the spinning swords would have looked nicer. The pin missile at the end was good, but swords dance improves power, not accuracy, and it had also made the petals spin faster. The effect, however? Very good.

2: Hypotenuse Man and Nincada [M]
    Coordinator #2, Hypotenuse Man, made his way to the stage after the petals were swept up. Also known as TheBlueAvenger, Hypotenuse Man has already proven his worth as a coordinator. After winning the February Contest, he also came in the top 6 of the Grand Festival.

Nincada gave a screeching click; a sparkling sheet of wind swept diagonally and engulfed his body, swathing him in a mysterious light. As the crowd watched the sparkling dust fade away, it seemed Starman Jr had done a disappearing act. Re-appearing in mid-air, he gave a screech, swinging down and slamming a shimmering claw into the earth powerfully.

Score: 7.8
    A nice appeal. I liked the sequence of attacks; swathing yourself in silver dust, disappearing and re-appearing. It was nicely orchestrated.

3: Blademaster and Castform [M]
    Blademaster took the stage next, releasing a little Castform. He gave a crooning cry of his name, hovering there looking like a doughy Casper. On his command, Castform floated to the center of the stage, a blue orb charged in his mouth. He blasted a beam of ice down and around, encasing himself steadily in a round tube of ice. The ice glittered in the stage lights. Then, from the top, a jet of flame swept up, whooshing and making the structure look like a candle. The flame died away to gasps, and as Mallow rose up, he crackled yellow and blasted a shaking bolt of lightening to smash into the icy column. The ice crackled and fell away in a yellow flash, but not all of it had been destroyed.

Score: 9.3
    Really good. I mean really. First off, that was a really cool idea with the candle. I’ve never seen that before in a contest, or any similar form so you get a heap of credit for that. Second, you showed off Castform’s natural style and attacks really well. That was fantastic. Well done.

4: Elec Man and Venonat [F]
    Elec Man, also a Grand Festival runner up, stepped forward, keen to get another Ribbon for his collection. Unleashing the large, purple bug known as Venonat, he began his appeal. Shaking wildly, Venonat released a cloud of thick, purple spores that hung in the air. As they drifted, Luna’s eyes narrowed and there was a high-pitched noise; red jets of light appeared to be glowing from amid the clump of purple dust, suspending it in the air. Next, hidden from the cloud, Luna unleashed a flurry of shining golden stars. They streaked through the cloud, piercing it and breaking it apart, showing the Venonat amidst it all.

Score: 8.9
    Another really interesting appeal. It would be even better if it had been a cosmic Pokemon, but it was still a really good showcase of attacks. Not much to say really, just a job well done!

5: MeLoveGhosts and Koffing [F]
    MLG, a member of the ‘Toggle Caps Lock Club’ (founded by Razor Leaf) took to the stage. His Koffing emerged from her Pokeball, giving a thick, wheezing cough of her name. The little craters over her body began emitting a thick haze; the audience watched keenly as the hazy fog filtered out and lay among the arena. Koffing was merely a shadow. Then, blue flames popped into existence and lit it up eerily. This judge was suddenly reminded of Evanescence. An almost gothic feel crept upon the hall as Koffing began summoning psychic energy to propel the flames in a thrust. However, the attack never came. The audience waited patiently as the flames burned bright.

Score: 4.5
    Psychic on Koffing? Not in my Pokedex. I was slightly dubious about it and went to my FR/LG….and it just wouldn’t learn the damn thing, so if you saw it in a Pokedex I’d be wary of it from now on.

Anyway the appeal you did do was nice. I liked it, but since the ending was ruined it got a low score.

6: River and Yanma [F]
    Yanma gave a whirring noise and flapped up to the ceiling. Beneath her she flapped hard; a silver tornado of twisting wind whipped up; a different variation of Hypotenuse Man’s, and streaked down to the ground, twinkling fantastically. Then, the Yanma dived down the twister of silver; a green and red duel beam was blasted down, shining through the epicenter as a white flash ignited Yanma.

Score: 6.8
    It was ok. It felt like too much was going on though; I asked myself if silver wind can shield a Nincada, can the signal beam even penetrate it? And will Yanma’s glow go noticed?

7: Dragonis and Sneasel [F]
    Sneasel opened her mouth, projecting a shimmering crystal beam of icy water. It hit the ground and Sneasel moved slightly, maneuvering and allowing the block to get rounder, larger and more impressive. Hailee picked it up, heaving and groaning as she hoisted it above her head. The audience looked slightly threatened, but that soon changed to an awe-like gaze as it was hurled into the air. Being heavy, it plummeted quickly. Leaping up, Hailee gave a cry as she used both her sharp claws to pummel the belly of the boulder and unleash a myriad of icy shards upon the audience. She landed, smiling.

Score: 6.7
    Pretty good. Problems were the pace; ice beam took a while to create the large boulder, and plucking it from the floor when it was frozen to the ground was also difficult. Altogether it was good, but perhaps not the best appeal for a Sneasel.

8: Saffire Persian and Gastly [M]
    A judge for the Grand Festival, Saffire Persian has demonstrated a keen eye for an appeal, and her appearance caught the intrigue of many spectators. What would she conjure up? Releasing her gaseous ghost, she began by ordering a night shade. As the Pokemon glowed a sparkling, dark hue, waves of molten darkness swept across the arena, plunging it into obscurity. As the large, lamp-like eyes glowed, small, wavering beams of rainbow light pierced the inky blackness. Amazed, the crowd watched as small blue flames popped up around the specter, and were released all around, lighting the darkness with a chilling light as the Gastly startled the crowd, bursting forth and lifting the darkness.

Score: 7.7
    Usually scaring the foe is commonplace, but this one worked differently, I think. The light show was pretty cool, and the flames were a nice touch. Not much to say really, other than a good job.

9: Charles Legend and Houndour [M]
    Charles has been in many contests, and again he was keen to win a ribbon for his collection. Throwing the Pokeball out, the crowd was keen to see who would emerge. Smoky darkness emerged…was it another gaseous Pokemon? They could not see, for a thick fog was all around. Yellow, piercing eyes flashed from the darkness. What was this monster? A reverberating howl echoed around the hall, and as the fog began to filter out, the audience saw the proud Houndour standing there.

Score: 6.3
    There was nothing wrong with it really. But it has been done before in varying degrees and it was just something quite…obvious. I felt like I knew what was coming. Surprises are good, doing something unexpected – your appeal in September was fantastic. Try similar techniques in future contests.

10: Mike and Pichu [F]
    The last competitor was Mike Mysterio, shaking as he took his place. Alf the Janitor begrudgingly helped clear the air from the last appeal, using a minute Pidgey. Mike released a little Pichu called Trish; she immediately smiled and leapt up enthusiastically as heart-shaped projectiles washed over the crowd. Shining brightly, Pichu leapt high and unleashed a flurry of sparks in all directions, going off like a golden firework.

Score: 7.0
    Even though it was a simple appeal, it just really worked well. You didn’t try and overcomplicate things and your ideas weren’t too extravagant. I liked the idea of fireworks as your ‘theme’ for the appeal.

Ok! All ten Appeals are done. Here is the scoring order:

Blademaster: 9.3
    Elec Man: 8.9
    Hypotenuse Man: 7.8
    Saffire Persian: 7.7
    Mike Mysterio: 7.0
    Kevvaelli: 6.9
    - - - - -
    River: 6.8
    Dragonis: 6.7
    Charles: 6.3
    MeLoveGhosts: 4.5

The bold line is the cut-off line. So anybody above it will commence to Round 2. Remember it is a double appeal, using a current Pokemon (the one you used this round) and another, which will subsequently be used in Round 3 should you get through.

Post in any order.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: October Contest: Round 1 up!

Okay, I'll be using Person Man, my Mr. Mime, in addition to Starman Jr.

Person Man, start with Seismic Toss. Throw Starman Jr. into the rafters. Starman Jr., you grab onto the ceiling - any outpost will do. Next, you should both fire Shadow Balls at each other - have them explode in midair. Finally, Starman Jr., send down a weak Silver Wind - enough to make Person Man all sparkly but not enough to obscure him. Person Man, create a Reflect while striking a cool pose - the Reflect should refract the Silver Wind around you, amplifying its sparklyness.

Person Man: Seismic Toss (Starman Jr.) ~ Shadow Ball (Starman Jr.'s Shadow Ball) ~ Cool Pose Reflect
    Starman Jr.: Grab Hold (rafters/anything) ~ Shadow Ball (Person Man's Shadow Ball) ~ Weak Silver Wind (Person Man)

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

Master Trainer

Silly me, I meant Psybeam! No chance that you might redo it?

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'm sorry, I can't. I wasn't aware Koffing learnt that, either. Psywave, yes.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer

He learns Psybeam, no doubt. It's a breeding move. http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/109

Could you prehaps redo it just for me, so I can see what rating I would have gotten if I wasn't that stupid. Send it through PM if you don't want to SPAM up this thread. I will leave you be now.

Veteran Trainer

Before I appeal, I gotta ask: How would a Curse look? A Ghost-type Curse - would there be a nail or something involved, like in the game?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yea an illusionary nail would be driven into the Pokemon but they would become extremely tired from it.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Feelin' Like P. Diddy Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Wow, that was close o.o; In addition to Kite (Roselia Male) I will be using Xemnas (Solrock -).

Okay, first, Kite, I'd like you to Petal Dance. Try and get the petals as high up into the air as you can. Xemnas, use Flamethrower to set them aflame. Next, Kite, start using Swords Dance in a similar fashion to last round. while Xemnas Psychics you among the flaming petals. Kite, once you are among the petals but not in danger of being singed, use Flash, but not too strong, just enough to create a fireworks-esque look among the petals. Xemnas, while he is Flashing, continue Psychic to try to both keep him in the air and spin the petals around him. If you don't have enough mental power to do so, slowly set Kite down as the petals descend.

Kite - Petal Dance (upwards) ~ Swords Dance ~ weak-ish Flash
    Xemnas - Flamethrower ~ Psychic (Kite, among the petals) ~ Psychic (either keep Kite up while spinning the petals or set Kite down slowly)
    Whee, that's slightly complicated!

I'm back.

Veteran Trainer

In that case...

I want my (F) Banette, Vivian, to join up with Mallow. We're gonna give ASB an appeal it won't soon forget...

Mallow, I want you to float high in the air and use a Rain Dance to cover the sky in black clouds. After the sky darkens, Viv, I want you to float up onto the stage and use Frustration - don't attack anyone of anything; just show them your expression. You're frustrated, confused, alone... you feel totally miserable, like nothing ever goes right, and you don't know what else to do...

Mallow, while Vivian is musing her misery down below, cue a few little Thunderbolts - don't hit anyone or anything; just let 'em streak across the sky, to add to the drama.

Now, Vivian, use Curse - drive that nail either into your wrist or your heart, if possible. Don't place the Curse on anyone - if you must, place it on Mallow. He can take it for a single round.

Then, Vivian, the rain is falling over and around you; there's a nail through your body... finish the appeal by displaying your pain one final time before you collapse - throw your head back and Screech as loudly and as horribly as you can, and then just let yourself collapse. Then, Mallow, you finish up by unleashing one huge Thunder overhead - again, don't hit anyone or anything; just give the audience one more good scare to finish up.

Moves (Mallow): Rain Dance, Thunderbolt, Thunder
    Moves (Vivian): Frustration, Curse, Screech

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer

Ok, after Balde's little display of pain and sorrow, it's the perfect time for something I call the Barrage of Cuteness! For this overload of sugary sweetness I'll be using Trish and Jinn, my male eevee.

Alright guy's start off by using Double Team to flood the arena with cute little critters. Make as many doubles as you both can. The I want you both, and all of the clones, to Charm the audience. Then finish off by blowing the crowd kisses! Trish, and all of your clones, use Sweet Kiss while Jinn and all of his clones Mimic you.

Trish~Double Team~Charm~Sweet Kiss~
    Jinn~Double Team~Charm~Mimic (sweet kiss)~

Edit: Sorry I forgot to tell everybody that my brother, Mike, is at our grandmother's this morning and he asked me to post is appeal for him.

Veteran Trainer

My name is Blade, not Balde. In fact, I haven't had a haircut since May, so it goes without saying that I'm not at all bald(e).

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer

Sorry, I'm dyslexic. Though in my defence what I had down before passed through the spell check.

Advanced Trainer

[color=#FFDD11]Excellent job Luna, a great display and pulled in an impressive score. For this next round, I'll be pairing you with Wyvrhen (Female Vibrava).

Try as I might, I just can't make a simple appeal, sorry Chris :p

Ok girls, lets make this a good one. To start off, Luna, I want you to fire a Signal Beam at your partner. Wyvrhen, summon up a Steel Wing and let the beam hit your metallic appendages. The steel resists bug so damage will be minimal, and metal tends to be reflective so it should create a neat light effect. Next, I want Wyvrhen to fire off a Dragonbreath into the air, and then Luna should take control of it with Psychic. Luna, once you've got control, split the stream into 2, and manipulate each half down to the ground. Make them into emerald pillars of flame on either side of Vibrava, and hold them there indefinately. For the finalle, Luna should fire off a Sludge Bomb high above Wyvrhen. Wyv, once the sludge gets above you, let loose with a quick-fire strength Hyper Beam at it. The beam should cause the sludge to burst, and hopefully some of it will end up falling into the flame pillars. When the sludge hits the fire, it'll hopefully cause some tiny explosions, or at the very least catch fire and cause the pillars to flare. The bursting sludge, fire effects, and hyper beam should create a nice variety of effects for a good finish.

Signal Beam ~ Psychic (manipulate fire) ~ Sludge Bomb
    Steel Wing ~ Dragonbreath ~ Hyper Beam (quick fire)
    Master of Electricity

Okay.. I guess it's do or die on this one:

Along with my Gastly, I will not use my male Vaporeon, Rast. We'll see if this works:

Okay, Epik, Rast, stay side by side for the first part, so we can show you working together a bit. First, Epik I want you to launch a Shadow Ball right above you - not too big of one, but not too little of one. Just make sure it's big enough for the crowd to definitely see. Now, as Epik launches that Shadowball, Rast use BLizzard to freeze that Shadowball into an orb of sparkling ice, with the dark, ghostly colors of Shadowball beneath it.

Epik, while Rast is doing his Blizzard, I need you to stabalize that Shadowball with Psychic so you have a secure grip on it, so it doesn't break apart or any of that like. Now, keep that Psychic hold on it - (surrounding it in a light purple glow) and start to head towards the ceiling of the stage, and levitate the Shadow-Ice-Ball with you until you are just a few feet above it. Don't worry, you won't have to hold it for much longer. Rast, while Epik is levitating the ball, surround both of you with a transparent, Reflective shield so you're both covered.

Now, the timing for both of you is crucial. Rast, slowly release a rainbow Aurora Beam so Epik can see you're preparing. Now release it straight upwards to where Epik and the ball are - and yes, you're going to break through the Ice-Shadowball with the attack. Epik, you can release your Psychic hold now, but keep directly above the falling ball, so when the Aurora beam breaks through, it'll hit and bounce of your Reflect (since it's light), sending streaks of rainbow light downward, to where it'll break apart the Ice-shadowball while the reflect will protect Rast from stray beams.

This will hopefully send the air aflurry of shards of ice that hopefully show up some of the colors from the Aurora Beam like a prism, while piece of the shadow ball will be there too. Help make sure it's broken apart, so the attack'll be harmless, with Psywave Epik, to complete and hopefully add more color to the mix.

Rast (Vaporeon, Male): Blizzard ~ Reflect (Epik and Rast) ~ Aurora Beam
    Epik (Gastly, Male): Shadowball ~ Psychic ~ Psywave

ASB Team

Want an ASB banner for your team? Want just a plain banner? Well the Saffire's Banner Shop has reopened! There are new ASB banner styles, so new and old requestees, check it out!

Banner Shop |

Metamorphosis

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

[size=4]The October 2006 Pokemon Contest

Appeal Stage 2

1: Hypotenuse Man: Nincada [F] and Mr Mime [F]
    Nincada emerged happily, pleased with her previous appeal. Mr Mime also emerged, who was fast becoming the new moderators famous Pokemon. In the crowd, Andrew watched grimly with his two Mr Mimes.

Clutching the little insect, Person Man hurled it high into the air; Nincada’s claws sank into a rafter of the roof and he stayed there, pretty much out of sight. Both began charging up shadow balls, and the moody hues contained within spheres were soon launched at each other, exploding in mid-air. A wave of darkness washed over the crowd. Soon after, Person Man conjured up a barrier in front of him, striking a pose which was, in a word, dapper. A silvery sheet of glitter swept around from the rafters, which was greater influenced by the barrier before Person Man.

Score: 7.5
    It was a good appeal, but it didn’t really startle me. Overall I felt like Nincada supported Mr Mime, and he was the main focus of the appeal. I like seeing both Pokemon being the ‘stars’, per se. The shadow ball was a nice idea though. The barrier was a nice touch, but the barrier is just in front of Mr Mime and the wind went all around so it wasn’t efficiently utilized.. A good idea would maybe have been Magic or Mirror Coat, obviously requiring a different Pokemon.

2: Kevvaelli: Roselia [M] and Solrock [ / ]
    The Roselia from before leapt out, giving her doleful smile. A Solrock emerged, too, looking ominous and rather intriguing. Roselia unleashed her pretty pink petals; Solrock then spat a burst of flame, unfortunately this proved slightly too strong as many petals caught on fire. Undeterred, Roselia unleashed a swords dance, and Solrock began levitating the little Pokemon among the charred petals, the dying embers and the ghostly swords. Kite emitted a bright flash amid the cyclone of ghostly swords, just before Solrock lowered him to the ground.

Score: 7.0
    Great idea – when I read the appeal I was impressed. But petals from a Petal Dance are very fragile, and the flamethrower was far too strong – an ember would have been much better. That part, despite not working, didn’t matter; the rest of the appeal was good. I took marks off since both Petal Dance and Swords Dance were used in a similar way last round.

3: Blademaster: Castform [M] and Banette [F]
    Blademaster walked on next. He released Castform, who received a large applause and Banette, who scowled viciously. Firstly, Castform’s eyes glowed blue, he swept around the arena, chanting his name, and soon his dance seemed to work; the audience listened as they heard the rain clattering on the roof outside. Apparently Blademaster forgot about the fact they were indoors. Banette, meanwhile, screwed her face up into one of ugliness and distaste, bitterly giving a large groan of frustration.

Next, Banette summoned a large, ghostly nail, driving it into her heart. Mallow soon felt the effects, giving a soft sigh as odd pains rose in his little body. He crackled with electricity and, from above, summoned bolts of lightening all around Vivian.

Finally, Vivian threw her head back and let out a piercing scream; some audience members cried as their ears burned white-hot; some even left. Blademaster watched, worringly Castform unleashed a huge bolt of lightening to Vivian’s side, ending what could only be described as “An appeal we will never forget.”

Score: 5.6
    What went wrong, Blade? I’m quite surprised. Your last appeal was quirky and unique; this one was just…torturous. Cruel. I think you may have just ‘over-thought’ things. A few thing to consider:
    1) We were indoors. This was stated in the first post!
    2) Thunder isn’t as affected by rain dance as it is in battles, since you’re not hitting a specific target (Rain Dance increases thunders accuracy). However the rain would have presented a specific mood. I’m not sure which one you were going for.
    3) The curse was quite horrible to look at. Especially since it needed a target, and ended being poor Mallow.
    4) Screeching…it’s horrible! No. I know you’re characterizing ghost types…but you don’t need to torture the audience like that!

4: Mike Mysterio: Pichu [F] and Eevee [M]
    The two adorable Pokemon emerged; the cute, cuddly Eevee and the sweet Pichu. They gave shrill cries (though not as shrill as Banette’s) and flashed white. Copies of the two, going in an Eevee-Pichu alternating pattern, filled the arena in various parts of the stage. They all then let off a stream of throbbing pink hearts that swam around the arena, catching people’s attention. Finally, as Pichu unleashed a sweet, lip-shaped projectile that glittered red, Eevee mimicked it and unleashed a similar attack, albeit slightly later.

Score: 6.9
    Quite a simple and well executed appeal. The only part that didn’t work well was the end – mimic meant that the mimicked sweet kiss was delayed and that looked slightly off. But a good appeal overall.

5: Elec Man: Venonat [F] and Vibrava [F]
    Elec Man had already proven his worth with his last appeal; now, alongside his large, purple Venonat was a spindly Vibrava, clicking to herself as she flapped above her partner. Venonat’s eyes twinkled; they merged from green to red, back to green, then red…fantastically, two intertwining beams of red and green were blasted upwards; Wyvrhen, whose wings shimmered silver, let the beam soar up into her body; she took little damage as her wings shimmered red, green and silver, sparkling fantastically. Next, Wyvrhen blasted a cone of green flames; using her psychic powers, Luna manipulated them into two long snakes of flame, causing them to stand either side of Wyvrhen. As they shimmered brightly, Luna concentrated firmly; this was taking a lot of effort. Nevertheless, she managed to fire a large lump of sludge up; as she did, the flame-manipulation ceased and Vibrava blasted an orange beam at the sludge. It all happened too fast; orange streaks bursting a ball of sludge; pellets of goop raining around the arena; emerald flames around the drops of sludge.

Score: 7.9
    Athough Luna’s psychic was difficult, and the appeal didn’t work as planned, it was an interesting appeal. Maybe a bit too tricky for Luna. Overall I’d say well done. Oh. Maybe sludge wasn’t the best thing to have exploding everywhere? :-p

6: Saffire Persian: Gastly [M] and Vaporeon [M]
    Saffire Persian re-appeared for the second round, with a new, blue Vaporeon emerging alongside her Gastly. Gastly charged up a furling ball of deep shadow; it was soon released into the air, where Rast sent a curling wave of icy crystals to surround and freeze it. Momentarily, the frozen ball was in mid-air; as it began to drop, Epik seized it within psychic control.

The ball hung there. The shadows still moved within the ball like smoke; a frozen, diamond layer externally held the shadows together, sparkling in the light, while an eerie, purple grip held on to the ball and looked truly magnificent. Rast the Vaporeon used a lot of energy making a reflective aura around her and her foe.

She then looked up, opening wide and blasting a beam of aurora borealis up into the air. The rainbow light, cold and harsh slammed into the suspended shadow ball and refracted around the glass-like layer of frost. Unintentionally, beams of rainbow light swept from all angles of the spherical, frozen ball; they shot outwards until the reflect barrier kicked in; this large radius stopped the light penetrating further and kept their presence within its walls. As a result, the entire dome-like reflect shimmered with rainbow colours as the aurora beam was projected from the frozen shadow ball. Vaporeon and Gastly were encased in a sparkling, beautiful shield of phasing light. Gastly unleashed a psywave, but it didn’t matter; the audience’s cries were deafening.

Score: 9.0
    Outstanding. Your idea alone was good, but unfortunately it had flaws. Reflect was difficult to perform as it covered a larger radius. This meant there was (slightly) less power in Aurora Beam. Aurora Beam, as it is, is weak; it is also light, and not therefore much force particularly when you want to shatter ice. Therefore it didn’t work right. How I envisioned it was that the icy layer around the ball acted as something of a prism; it sent the rainbow light in all-directions and, once the perimeter of the reflect was activated, that blocked the attack from reaching outside by spreading its light, power and entity among itself evenly, creating the rainbow shield. Anyway I wouldn’t complain; it was very good!

Ok we have our scores:

Saffire Persian: 9.0
    Elec Man EXE: 7.9
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Hypotenuse Man: 7.5
    Kevvaelli: 7.0
    Mike Mysterio: 6.9
    Blademaster: 5.6

Saffire Persian and Elec Man EXE will go on to the finals! It is Vaporeon VS Vibrava in this 5-round match taking place in the indoor Contest Hall. Recovery Moves are banned, and that is all.

Will Saffire prove her worth with a ribbon? Will Elec Man add another to the collection? Stay tuned!

Oh yea.

Elec Man, you post first.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer

Default Re: October Contest: Round 2 up!

[color=#FFDD11]Well, I guess it didn't work quite as intended, but a great job to both of you anyway. And it still seemed impressive at the end, even it did get a little chaotic.

Get some rest Luna, you did 2 great appeals and you didn't let me down.

Now Wyvrhen, lets get this battle going shall we. I'm not going to go easy on you Saffire, even though you are the banner queen. Start off with a Screech, get that thing annoyed and make sure he doesn't try anything requiring lots of concentration. Then, give it a strong blast of Dragonbreath. Follow up by charging in and attacking with a Double Edge. Use Faint Attack to dodge any incoming ice attacks and attack from behind, if nessicary.

Screech ~ Dragonbreath ~ Double Edge
    Sub: Faint Attack

EDIT: Since this is indoors, does that mean Ground/Rock attacks don't work? I didn't think that through when I picked Vibrava, that really limits my attack options. And when you say recovery moves are banned, is that all recovery attacks, or just non-damage dealing ones? Mainly thinking about Giga Drain.
    Master of Electricity

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Elec: Recovery moves that only recover are banned. Ones that deal damage as well are ok.

As for your question: earthquake/magnitude/fissure etc will not. Rock attacks that need rocks (slide and throw) will also not work. Since there are no rocks. However Ancientpower does.

Saying that though, do they really work against a water type? :p

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Okay, Rast, lets do this, shall we?

I know the noise might be quite loud, but fold back your ears and try to minmize the noise - if the crowd is rather noisy, it might lessen the effect. Anyway, start off with making a medium large (about 20% HP) Substitute . Make sure you're facing her head on.

Follow up with a Water Pulse aim for her face/mouth as he tries to spew the Dragon Breath attack at you, hopefully before the attack comes out. If not, just getting a good Water Pulse to the face'll be great, and hopefully it'll rattle her up a bit.

Next, lets trigger her sub. Use Icy Wind - make it a nice, wide spread wind. She may be disappearing on you, but she'll still have to make her way around until she's behind your Substitute, and maybe the Icy Wind might catch her in the process of going around.

Rast (Vaporeon, Male): Substitute ~ Water Pulse ~ Icy Wind

ASB Team

Banner Shop |

Metamorphosis

Advanced Trainer

Both Rock and Ground are perfectly effective against a Water Type, just not super effective.

I just like to have more options, thats all. Plus, that leaves me with only 1 STAB attack, not that it should be much of a problem in a 5 round match but still.
    Master of Electricity

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Reffing up shortly

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

October 2006 Contest

Battle Stage
    Elec Man EXE VS Saffire Persian

Round One/Five

The battlers, whose appeals had gotten them through to the finals, selected their Pokemon each, hurling the Pokeballs onto the stage. A sleek, beautiful Vaporeon emerged, giving a soft cry as she sat there elegantly. Across the stage, a Vibrava materialized, eyes narrowed, wings beating.

Wyvrhen – Virbava [F]
    Health: 100%
    Energy: 100%
    Screech ~ Dragonbreath ~ Double Edge
    VS

Rast – Vaporeon – [M]
    Health: 100%
    Energy: 100%
    Substitute ~ Water Pulse ~ Icy Wind

Arena: Indoor Contest Hall.

BEGIN!

Rast became more alert, leaving his still, calm sitting pose and standing firmly. Wyvrhen flapped her wings and unleashed a terrible screech. Rast was trying to focus on creating a substitute, a hefty substitute at that, and eventually persevered; unfortunately she used more energy this way.

Mouth opening, flames smoldered within and Wyvrhen threw his head forward. A jet of greened flames swept down and raced along the arena, whooshing and searing hot. From Vaporeon came a chilled blast of water; supersonic rings echoing inside, the attacks smashed against each other, Rast’s water extinguishing the flames and managing to win the war. The water, not hotter than previously, smashed into Wyvrhen and he dropped out the air momentarily, before flapping back up.

A sparkle was seen in Vaporeon’s eye. Opening her mouth wide, she unleashed a myriad of shattered icy crystals in a strong gale. Seeing this, Wyvrhen flashed and disappeared into the darkness. He flew around sleekly, evading the strong, wide spectrum of cold wind. He re-appeared behind Rast and slammed right into her.

End Round!

Wyvrhen – Virbava [F]
    Health: 91%
    Energy: 87%
    Attack Second Next Round
    VS

Rast – Vaporeon – [M]
    Health: 80%
    Energy: 75%
    Substitute: 6%HP
    Attack First Next Round

Arena: Indoor Contest Hall

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: October Contest: Battle Round 1 Up!

Saffire?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Can i win by default?

Veteran Trainer

Buzz off, Oz! I got screwed over; I deserve the default win! All for me! Only for me!!!!!!!!!!!

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer

Don't be thinking of replacing me, you two. I'll have none of it. I'm greedy and I need a second ribbon (and the GF ribbon for that matter :p)
    Master of Electricity

Sorry. >.> Forgot about this.

All right, Rast, first, use a Water Pulse , try to get the Vibrava as soaked as possible, and follow up with an Ice Beam and finally, one more Water Pulse .

However, if the Yanma tries any evasive moves (Faint Attack, Double Team, etc.) use Swift to combat 'em.

Rast (Vaporeon, Male): Water Pulse ~ Ice Beam ~ Water Pulse.
    Sub: Swift

ASB Team

Banner Shop |

Metamorphosis

Advanced Trainer

[color=#FFDD11]She's a Vibrava, not a Yanma :p

Ok Wyvrhen, start off by taking to the air to dodge that first pulse with Fly. Just in case that triggers his sub, wait until he's already started building up for the water attack before you act. Then, summon up a Steel Wing, and use that steel (being resistant to ice) to cut through the icy attack and slam him. And finally, grab on and use Giga Drain to help yourself out a bit.

Fly ~ Steel Wing ~ Giga Drain

Master of Electricity

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

October 2006 Contest

Battle Stage
    Elec Man EXE VS Saffire Persian

Round Two /Five

Wyvrhen – Virbava [F]
    Health: 91%
    Energy: 87%
    Fly ~ Steel Wing ~ Giga Drain

VS

Rast – Vaporeon – [M]
    Health: 80%
    Energy: 75%
    Substitute: 6%HP
    Water Pulse ~ Ice Beam ~ Water Pulse.
    Sub: Swift

BEGIN!

Rast opened wide as Wyvrhen flapped hard and shot into the rafters. The gushing jet of water missed Vibrava, whose wings shimmered a sudden silver as he tore back down at the Vaporeon. Meanwhile, the water Pokemon chose this time to blast a jet of fine, crystalline ice towards the oncoming foe. Vibrava was struck by the attack, driving through it with the steel-coated wings giving him some slight protection. He slammed into the foe and he fell back.

Finally, Vibrava attempted to drain Rast. He blasted the dragonfly with a jet of water that struck hard. Undeterred, Vibrava flapped to Rasta and sunk his teeth into him, draining energy from the eeveelution.

END!

Wyvrhen – Virbava [F]
    Health: 86%
    Energy: 71%
    Attack first next round

VS

Rast – Vaporeon – [M]
    Health: 72%
    Energy: 66%
    Attack Second next round

Show-Off