Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new spin on the Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Challenge!

Chairman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Default A new spin on the Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Challenge!

Well, I'm sure those of you who played Pokemon games heard of the Mystery Dungeon titles. (Plug: Go visit the Writer's Longue if you are interested in a little project I'm cooking up.)

This isn't a PMD thread. I'm sure that there is a forum for that here. However, this is a Fire Red challenge idea I came up with.

I'm not really sure I can handle a Monotype Challenge, since it required level grinding against Pokemon the team is weak to, but I came up with a less-brutal challenge, but still challenge in its right. I got the idea from the Mystery Dungeon games, Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team. I might do a thread in the D/P section which relates to the Explorers of Time/Darkness.

The challenge works as follows. If you haven't played or watched someone play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, you shouldn't attempt this because it assumes you are familiar with the games.

(1) This challenge is for Fire Red or Leaf Green, for reasons mentioned below.

(2) You can only use a max team of three Pokemon, the remaining three slots are relegated to HM slaves that cannot be used in battle.

(3) Apart from the usual starters of Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle, you may Action Replay to get an unorthodox Pokemon as your starter, but only from this list:

* Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile
    * Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
    * Pikachu
    * Meowth
    * Skitty
    * Eevee
    * Machop
    * Cubone
    * Psyduck

(3) For your second Pokemon, you must choose a Pokemon from the below list. Again, if it's a Pokemon which isn't catchable in te game, hacking it in your team(via capture codes or what not) are perfectly acceptable as long as you don't give it an illegal moveset.

* Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle
    * Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile
    * Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
    * Pikachu

(4) From the above list, you are not allowed to use a Pokemon which has the same type as the first Pokemon you got(from the list above that) - no two Pikachus, no Totodile/Squirtle, etc. Both the first and second battlers must be different types!

(5) The third member of your team can be anyone you can catch or obtain, except for legendaries or the same Pokemon you selected as your first two. (Two doubles of Pikachu if you have a Pikachu already, and stuff like that.) Anything else is fine.

(5) You must not let your Pokemon evolve until you beat the Elite 4. B-cancel, Everstone, or let the game do it for you - Fire Red and Leaf Green have a built-in program that stops an evolution from happening if the Pokemon's evolution would create a Pokemon outside of the classic set until you get the National Dex. (Beating the Elite 4 => Completing the main story in PMD, which is when you were able to evolve your Pokemon there) You can use Thief on wild Geodudes to get more Everstones from the one you in the main game.

(6) Please post any progress you made.

(7) You get bonus points for defeating the legendary birds in this order: Zapdos, Moltes, Articuno.

(8) Double bonus points if you continue this challenge in true PMD: Rescue Team style by importing your team to Ruby/Emerald and defeating Groudon first, then Rayquaza!

(Okay, so I don't know what to give you if you did the bonuses, I'll have to start making up some mini-plaques to give you guys. )

(9) No move restrictions at all.

(10) The challenge ends upon the capture or defeat of Mewtwo. (If you played PMD, Mewtwo was fought at the end of a very very tough post-game dungeon that requires the recruitment of the Legendary Birds and Lugia.)

Major Edit: After reading how the Pure Monotype Challenge rules were set up, I reorganized my rules a bit.
    Last edited by Shuppet Master; 6th May 2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: A new spin on the Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Challenge!

You left out Eevee from the list of starters. It's a PMD starter, too.

Hrm...I might actually consider doing this after I clear my current Monotype Challenge; I've got all eight badges, so it won't be too long.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Default Re: A new spin on the Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Challenge!

Heh, I had sort of expected YOU to be the first to jump at the challenge, Poryhedron. I've read your past MTCs so far(except Toxic Crusaders, which I am reading now); I even toyed with the notion of myself doing a Steel D/P MTC, since two of my favorite Sinnohians are steel types(Empoleon and Lucario).

Thankfully, there are no fire gyms in Sinnoh and even though one of the Elite 4 is a fire-ltype user, half of his team isn't even fire-typed! (I mean, Lopunny and Drifblim? This is what Pokemon gets for skimping on the fire and electric types, they have to give gym leaders Pokemon out of their type!)
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Advanced Trainer

Hmm...planning out this runthough and I need to beg a rules clarification.

There is only one Everstone that you are given in the game. For obvious reasons, I'd like two or three of them. Roughly one in twenty wild Geodude hold Everstones, so I'm planning on using Thief to score some in Mt. Moon.

In at least one other Monotype Challenge, it's okay to use HMers, that you don't otherwise use in battle, to use Thief on wild pokémon (in this case, the Geodude in Mt. Moon.) Can I do that here, too, or must the pokémon using Thief be one of my three Battlers?

/added later/ Oh! Just thought of something else I need to ask. Is it only the Battlers I can't evolve, or am I forbidden to evolve any pokémon at all until after the Elite Four? I ask because I'm looking at how I'm going to get the 60 Pokédex entries you need to access the post-Elite Islands; if I can't even evolve a Caterpie into a Butterfree and then stick it in Bill's PC forever, I'm going to have a few dozen pokémon to evolve after the Elite Four before I can reach Four Island.
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 6th May 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Sure, I'm not saying you can't battle wild Pokemon with your HM slaves, you just can't use anyone other than your threesome in trainer battles(which you wouldn't waste Thief on anyways, since their Pokemon don't carry items, I think). So go ahead and use Thief on Geodudes.

(goes off to edit

ADDED: In the Mystery Dungeon games, you couldn't evolve your Pokemon until after the main story because the Luminous Cave was unlocked then. However, you could encounter evolved Pokemon like Beedrill in the dungeons, but recruiting most of them was impossible. You couldn't evolve your Pokemon until after the main story, so I thought it would make sense that until you complete the main story of these games(The Elite 4), you couldn't evolve.

For this challenge, you are free to catch wild Pokemon in evolved forms(like Wild Nidorino or Rapidash). I will go and see if it is possible to get 60 Pokemon before the Elite 4 without evolving anyone. If this is too much trouble, I'll deem the challenge impossible and delete this thread. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Advanced Trainer

I'll bet it's possible. I've been building a list of how I'm going to get those 60 entries. Here's what I've done so far, assuming as few actual catches as possible:

01. Starter
    02. Partner
    03. Spearow (catch this to trade for Farfetch'd)
    04. Nidoran (male in Fire, female in Leaf; catch this to trade for the other)
    05. Magikarp (Buy it in the Mt. Moon Pokémon Center)
    06. Meowth (I plan to use this as an HMer)
    07. Nidoran (whichever one you didn't get for #4; get it in a trade in Route 5)
    08. Farfetch'd (Get it in a trade in Vermilion City)
    09. Abra (Buy at Rocket Game Corner to trade for Mr.Mime)
    10. Clefairy (Buy it at Rocket Game Corner; it's fairly cheap)
    11. Mr.Mime (Get it in a trade in Route 2)
    12. Eevee (Pick one up in Celadon Mansion)
    13. Lapras (You're given one in Silph Co.)
    14. Hitmon(chan/lee) (You win one from the Fighting Dojo)
    15. Golduck(Fire) / Slowbro (Leaf) (catch in Seafoam to trade for Lickitung)
    16. Lickitung (Get it in a trade near Fucshia City)
    17. Omanyte/Kabuto (from the Mt. Moon fossil)
    18. Aerodactyl (from the Pewter City Old Amber)
    19. Ponyta (catch on One Island during Lostelle Mission to trade for Seel)
    20. Seel (Get it in a trade in Cinnabar Island)

That's a third of the way there, and being catchaphobic at that. I haven't even included easy catches like Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie, Weedle...not to mention Safari Zone...Oh, and don't forget that depending on who your Starter and Partner are, you have between two and four more entries from evolving them immediately after the Elites. I'm sure it's doable.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

EDIT: OK, so catching/receiving evolved Pokemon IS allowed (Reading = good.). In that case, I can think of two other Pokedex entries that would then be possible via events: Catch a Poliwhirl, and then trade it for a Jynx in Cerulean City (provided this trade carried over from RBY and is still available in FrLg).

Take five, Poryhedron - I'll handle the catch list. Expect it to be up in a little while.

EDIT2: In both versions, it is possible. In addition to the Poliwhirl-Jynx trade, there is:

23. Caterpie
    24. Weedle
    25. Pidgey
    26. Rattata
    27. Spearow
    28. Pikachu
    29. Clefairy
    30. Jigglypuff
    31. Zubat
    32. Paras
    33. Venonat
    34. Diglett
    35. Meowth
    36. Mankey
    37. Poliwag
    38. Abra
    39. Machop
    40. Tentacool
    41. Geodude
    42. Magnemite
    43. Doduo
    44. Grimer
    45. Gastly
    46. Onix
    47. Drowzee
    48. Krabby
    49. Voltorb
    50. Exeggcute
    51. Cubone
    52. Koffing
    53. Rhyhorn
    54. Chansey
    55. Tangela
    56. Kangaskhan
    57. Horsea
    58. Goldeen
    59. Tauros
    60. Magikarp

That's not even counting easy-to-find wild evolutions like Metapod and Pidgeotto, version-exclusive Pokemon like Bellsprout and Sandshrew, and the Pokedex Pokemon I didn't have to check before I finished the list, like the Porygon available in the Game Corner and the two sleeping Snorlax.

So, yes, this challenge is doable, and to do it is hardly a difficult task, since most of the Pokemon I listed are commonly found, anyway.
    Last edited by Blademaster; 6th May 2008 at 08:23 PM.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

>> Wouldn't Snorlax count as 1 Pokemon >>..JUST SAYING...

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Veteran Trainer

Yes. But there are two in the game. You can't catch them both according to the rules, but they're both there.

lern2math

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

I never said you couldn't capture both, I just said you couldn't have both as your battlers. Oh, and by the way, even if you caught both, you don't get two entries on your Pokedex, they only register once.

But thanks to Blademaster for giving me hope that the challenge will survive. I didn't want to make it impossible to do, just hard to do. After all, it is a challenge.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    Wouldn't Snorlax count as 1 Pokemon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuppet Master View Post
    Oh, and by the way, even if you caught both, you don't get two entries on your Pokedex, they only register once.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Sorry, I didn't know you answered his question.

EDIT: Oops, forgot you posted in my other thread. Sorry. And apologies to Mr. Pikachu for plugging my fanfic. It won't happen again.
    Last edited by Shuppet Master; 8th May 2008 at 10:54 AM.

Veteran Trainer

The one where I suggested tossing in a Bulbasaur and a Cyndaquil that talked like Mr. Resetti as his sidekick, you mean?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Not that I don't appreciate the urge to advertise Fanfic all around TPM, but can we get back on topic, guys? Thanks.

By the way, this sounds like one heck of a challenge. Three battlers, none of which is allowed to evolve... it's like a crazy variation on the old single-Pokemon quest. I like the concept!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Advanced Trainer

Behold my starting, for I have indeed started!

NAME: Chun

I named myself Chun for this runthrough because the Mystery Dungeon series is made by ChunSoft. I almost named the rival Soft, but Gary just isn't Gary unless he's Gary...y'know?

I decided to make my Starter and Partner the same as in my first PMD runthrough, so I happily accepted a Bulbasaur from Prof. Oak, fetched and delivered his Package, and then flipped the switch on my Game Shark, marched into Route 1, found and caught a L3 Charmander. (It took three pokéballs to hold the little guy while he was in the red. "This POKéMON is really quite energetic" indeed!)

Team:
    Bulbasaur L8
    Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, —

Charmander L3
    Scratch, Growl, —, —

Pokédex:

Next: A bunch of area catching, including my third battler!
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 22nd May 2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Changed Pokédex format

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Wow, I didn't expect anyone to do this! I'll be watching this thread carefully.

Advanced Trainer

Behold my continuing, for...ah screw it.

With Charmander at only level 3, I knew I'd need to spend some time training him around here before moving on. I hung around Route 1, catching Pidgey and Rattata and training Charmander. When he hit level 5, I moved to Route 22 to catch some more pokémon (side note: Bill's PC = Best. Friend Area. Ever.), including a Spearow which I named "Trade Me!" (I'm going to have some fun with the nicknames of trade bait in this runthrough. )

With that done, and Charmander having caught up to Bulbasaur in level, I strolled up to Viridian Forest. I quickly bagged Weedle and Caterpie, then went around picking up items and battling trainers while I looked for the other Viridian Forest catches. Since I'm playing Fire Red, I met several Kakuna before finding a Metapod or Pikachu, and in fact I met a Pikachu before finding a Metapod.

Now, prior to starting the game I had reviewed the strengths and weaknesses of a Bulba+Char team, and decided the two biggest sources of trouble would be: Water/Ice-types, using water on Char and ice on Bulba; and Flying versions of types I would normally leave to Bulbasaur, such as Aerodactyl and Mantine. A type that's strong against Flying would be nice, and so would a type that's strong against Water without being weak against Ice. And so it was that Pikachu became my third battler.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L11
    Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Charmander L11
    Scratch, Growl, Ember, —

Pikachu L3
    Thundershock, Growl, —, —

Pokédex:

Next: Pewter Gym!
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 22nd May 2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Changed Pokédex format

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    Pokédex:
    ...ahem. Apparently there is a limit of ten images, including the board's smilies, in a post, so I guess I won't be using icons for Pokédex progress after all.
    Yeah, it's a bummer... I'm pretty sure it's for security reasons. Keeps people from murdering our bandwidth with thousands of images in a post.

At any rate, if you really want to show the icons you could always make a single banner with all the images pressed together; I've done that before. That might be a little too much effort to keep updating over the course of this challenge, though. Just a thought.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Well, the banner wouldn't be that tough to update - PMD icons are pretty easy to rip from Pokemon Elite 2000 and cut-paste on ImageForge(the image editor I always use for banners and cr**).

Also, Trade Me! the Spearow returns from your Fire Red monotype challenge.

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

Yeh I am thinking about taking this challenge as well, but first I need to finish red rescue team ^_^

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

Advanced Trainer

Okay! One clever idea later, the Pokédex Icons are back in a different format! And to go with them, here's another challenge update:

After catching Pikachu, I continued to dawdle around Viridian Forest, training the Electric-type and looking for a Metapod. Pikachu learned Thunder Wave before I finally found one, which proved helpful in catching it. In fact, by that time Pikachu had caught up in level to the other two battlers, so after depositing Metapod in the Viridian City Pokémon Center, I went down Route 22 to the optional Gary battle with Pikachu in the lead. Gary's Pidgey fell quickly, and his Charmander didn't fare much better against a foe that could use STAB attacks for standard damage.

By this point I had spent quite a lot of money on Pokéballs, as well as Antidotes for the Weedle in the forest, so I hurried back through Viridian Forest, finally entered Pewter City, and rushed straight to the Gym to beat more trainers and collect more prize money. Bulbasaur's Vine Whip made short work of Brock and his junior trainer. Then I happily accepted the Running Shoes, and proceeded to beat the stuffing out of every trainer in Route 3. Yay, cash!

With my financial situation back under control, I next turned back to the grass to make two more catches: Jigglypuff and a male Nidoran. I nicknamed the Nidoran TradeMeToo. I brought both to the Mt. Moon Pokécenter, then bought a Magikarp from some wise guy who thought he was ripping me off (sure, I'll pay two and a half times the price of a pokéball and not have to worry about weakening it enough to stay in a ball without fainting it! Score!)

Team:
    Bulbasaur L15
    Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Charmander L15
    Ember, Growl, Scratch, Metal Claw

Pikachu L16
    Thundershock, Double Team, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave

Pokédex:

Next: Mt. Moon! Oh, if only I already had my Thiever! Um, my Thief...I mean...yeah.
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 23rd May 2008 at 09:54 PM.

Advanced Trainer

Into the depths of Mt. Moon I went. The very first trainer battle in there ended with Charmander hitting level 16 and trying to evolve. Bulbasaur wasn't far behind. Both tried to evolve multiple times in Mt. Moon; thank goodness Pikachu needs a Thunder Stone!

I got a Zubat easily; Geodude were surprisingly rare, but eventually I found one of those as well. I didn't happen to run across a Paras as I went down into the first small basement room, or back up from it, but then I found and caught one on the ground floor on the way to the second one. After passing all the way through the cave and picking up the Helix Fossil on the way, I loitered around the exit until I finally found and caught a Clefairy, and then I stepped out into Route 4.

I lucked out in the grass of Route 4; the first and only pokémon I encountered there was an Ekans, which I caught. Then I healed at the Cerulean City Pokécenter, defeated Gary and the Nugget Bridge trainers, and then caught an Oddish in Route 24 and an Abra in Route 25. (Even with ten levels on the local Abra, Bulbasaur was too slow to peg any with Sleep Powder before they Teleported away...so I finally just chucked a ball at one as soon as I saw it, and the dang thing held. At full HP. Figures.) Abra's trade bait, so I named it GetRidOfMe, but I'll also be making use of its Teleport while I have it.

After Teleporting back to the city and healing, I went back through Route 25 to reach Bill's Cottage. Along the way I belatedly realized it would probably be smart to skip some trainers for now so that I wouldn't have to cancel evolution quite as many times before finally getting the Everstones. So I only battled some of the Route 25 trainers, reached Bill's Cottage, got the S.S. Ticket and Teleported back to the city.

I had one more thing to do before facing Misty. I went into the PC, withdrew TradeMeToo, and went to the robbed house where I recovered TM28. I proceeded around to Route 5, ran from multiple Pidgey and Oddish, and finally found, and caught, a Meowth. This I nicknamed HM Wielder; I promptly taught HM Wielder Dig and Thief. Then I went down to the Saffron City wall, walked into the Underground Tunnel building and traded TradeMeToo (a male Nidoran, recall) for a female Nidoran whom her trainer, Saige, had nicknamed Ms. Nido. Now there's a gem of a name.

I Teleported back to Cerulean, deposited Ms. Nido and got ready to take on Misty.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L21
    Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Tackle, Sleep Powder

Charmander L22
    Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Metal Claw

Pikachu L21

HM Wielder L16
    Thief, Dig, Growl, Scratch

GetRidOfMe L11
    Teleport

Pokédex:

Next: From Gym to Shining Gym!
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 25th May 2008 at 02:01 AM.

Advanced Trainer

Misty's Gym was no problem. Pikachu zapped all of the junior trainers, shocked Misty's Staryu into submission and grew to level 22; then I switched in Bulbasaur and had Razor Leaf cut Starmie down to size. Cascade Badge in hand, I healed and headed back down Route 5, this time continuing through the Underground Path to Route 6.

I only battled the two unavoidable Route 6 trainers, and when I arrived in Vermilion City, I went straight to the Pokémon Fan Club and picked up the Bike Voucher. Then I used GetRidOfMe's Teleport, wound up back in Cerulean and got the Bicycle. Then I biked back to Vermilion, withdrew Trade Me! the Spearow from Bill's PC, brought it to the center of town and traded it to a young girl named Elyssa for Ch'Ding the Farfetch'd, who went straight into my PC never to return.

Continuing my Dex work, I next went to Route 11 where I fought zero trainers, instead sticking with wild pokémon until I found and caught a Drowzee. Then I went to Diglett's Cave and caught a Diglett; I'd been thinking about catching a Dugtrio, too, but two of my battlers were weak against Ground and the third took normal damage, so I decided not to press my luck with the evolved Digger.

Needing Cut to get into Lt. Surge's Gym, I next went to the S.S. Anne. Now, I'm doing some skipping of trainers in this runthrough, but the big difference between this and my "Heart of Ice" runthrough is that I'm avoiding an inconvenience, not a game-ruining failure. If I get too strong to catch pokémon any other way, I can just have Bulbasaur use Leech Seed and then stall while it whittles the target down. So, since these trainers go away when I get Cut, I went ahead and defeated everybody on the ship, including Gary. As reward, I obtained HM 1 and taught Cut to my HM Wielder.

Sending out Bulbasaur to take electric attacks, and Charmander to melt the handful of Magnemite in the place, I trounced Lt. Surge's Gym fairly easily. The only hard part was finding those blasted switches. Badge in hand, I ducked back into Diglett's Cave, proceeded all the way to Route 2, and then gifted some kid named Reyley with my precious GetRidOfMe the Abra for a Mr. Mime named Mimien. (Wow, this guy's never seeing the light of day again.)

My Pokédex completion of 27 earned me a shiny HM 5, which I used to teach my HM Wielder Flash. Then I biked north to Pewter Museum, picked up the Old Amber, then headed east to Mt. Moon. HM Wielder attacked quite a large number of Geodude with Thief, defeating enough of them to rise a few levels. It tried to learn Pay Day, but it already had four moves that I either couldn't lose or couldn't afford to lose. That was okay, though, because HM Wielder's Pickup produced a Nugget during the search, among some other nice items.

While I hung around waiting to find an Everstone, I was happening to surf the web, and discovered something I'd overlooked previously: wild hold items are slightly different in FRLG than in RSE, and Geodude only hold Everstones in RSE. My reaction, as you might imagine, went something like "NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" And so off like a shot I went, out of Mt. Moon, across Route 4 and Cerulean City, and into Route 9 to reach Prof. Oak's Aide who was carrying what will apparently be the only Everstone I get this runthrough!

Team:
    Bulbasaur L27

Charmander L26
    Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Metal Claw

Pikachu L24

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

Pokédex:

Next: The Everstone, Fly and the Itemfinder!

Advanced Trainer

I motored through Route 9, skipping most of the trainers. I entered the Rock Tunnel Pokémon Center, and once again my Pokédex completion of 27 earned me an item. I gave the Everstone to Bulbasaur, since Bulbasaur was going to get a lot more training in Rock Tunnel than Charmander.

After picking that up, I went back outside, wandered around in the grass to the north and caught a Voltorb. Then I entered Rock Tunnel and started battling my way through. Along the way, I found and caught a Machop and then an Onix. I battled all of the trainers in Rock Tunnel, but then skipped the trainers between the Tunnel and Lavender Town.

I stayed in Lavender Town only long enough to heal and sell some stuff, and then I was off down Route 8. I skipped every trainer I could, and stopped in the grass and caught a Growlithe (it tried to use Roar and the move failed! Lucky!) I passed through the Underground Path, and then crossed Route 7 to Celadon City. I picked up Eevee for the dex data, stopped into the Celadon Department Store to buy some supplies, and then picked up HM 2. I didn't have a pokémon in my party who could learn it, so I went into the grass of this route and caught...a Doduo.

Yes, the Flying-type with no wings and absolutely no real ability to fly. I nicknamed it HM Copter and taught it Fly, then rode it to Vermilion just for the laughs. I headed down Route 11, dodging all of the trainers for no real reason, and showed Prof. Oak's Aide my Pokédex completion of 33 to earn the Itemfinder.

That done, HM Copter twirled its necks and took off back to Celadon, where I took the Everstone from Bulbasaur and gave it to Charmander. Charmander soloed Celadon Gym, learning Flamethrower along the way and defeating every junior trainer and Erika's Team without needing a single HP restoring item...which was good because I had none going in for some reason. I used the money I'd earned from the Gym to buy almost 30 Lemonades. After that, I gave the Everstone back to Bulbasaur and got ready to storm Team Rocket's oh-so-cleverly hidden base...

Team:
    Bulbasaur L30

Charmander L34
    Flamethrower, Smokescreen, Scratch, Metal Claw

Pikachu L29
    Thunderbolt, Double Team, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18
    Fly, Growl, Pursuit, Fury Attack

Pokédex:

Next: My Last HMer!

Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Great update, Poryhedron. I like Charmander and Pikachu!

And I thought it was sort of funny how you called Doduo a copter.

I bet your last HMer is going to be a water type because you need Surf.

Veteran Trainer

Great update, Poryhedron. I like Charmander and Pikachu!

And I thought it was sort of funny how you called Doduo a copter.
    Agreed. Shoulda named it 'Roflcopter,' though... :/

I bet your last HMer is going to be a water type because you need Surf.
    Based on his location and his options, most likely it's gonna be Psyduck.

Five bucks says I'm right.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Advanced Trainer

Way to lose five bucks, Blademaster.

In the standard why-does-it-feel-like-I've-done-this-a-million-times fashion, I plowed through Team Rocket's Celadon City Hideout using Bulbasaur and Pikachu, so they could catch up in level to Charmander. Bulbasaur handled Giovanni's two Rock/Ground-types easily, but his Kangaskhan proved to have annoyingly good Special Defense, so Bulbasaur and Pikachu teamed up to wear it down with Thunder Wave and Leech Seed.

When I defeated Giovanni, HM Wielder's Pickup earned me a Nugget. I sold it and a second Nugget I'd found earlier in the hideout, picked up the Coin Case and all of the free Game Corner coins (310 in Fire/Leaf!) and bought 1000 more from the man at the desk. Then, with 1310 coins, I used those extra 10 as the base for some tries at the slot, wiggled back and forth between about 1302 and 1311 for a bit and then hit a row of 7s, shooting up a little past 1600. I took that to the prize counter in the next building and scored myself the useful Yellow Flute!

With that done, I rode my Doduo (XD) to Lavender Town, entered Pokémon Tower and fought Gary. Nothing he had was as difficult as Giovanni's Kangaskhan, although his Charmeleon gave Pikachu a hit to remember it by. Then I avoided all of the Channelers to get to the healing spot, fending off a few Gastly and catching one of them, and then used it as a base from which defeat all of the Channelers. During that, I also met, and caught, a Haunter and a Cubone. My recently-obtained Yellow Flute came in handy several times against the Confuse Rays from the trained Gastly. During the tail end of this, Bulbasaur and Pikachu caught up to Charmander in level.

I got the Pokéflute, then passed through Route 8 (defeating all of the trainers I'd skipped last time), gave the Tea to the guard, healed at Saffron City's Pokémon Center and entered Silph Co.'s corporate headquarters. I rode the elevator straight to the fifth floor, grabbed the Card Key without battling anyone, and then, since I've already cleared this place a dozen times in two different generations, mixed things up a bit by going up to the 11th floor and working my way down the building, instead of starting at the 2nd and working my way up. Either way, every single Rocket and traitorous scientist got a Mystery Dungeon-style smacking.

When I finally got around to fighting Gary, most of his team were pushovers, but his Charizard really handed my whole team their tails. I had to use multiple Revives before Pikachu finally managed to lay the finishing Thunderbolt. After that, Giovanni wasn't so tough, despite surprising me with the oddly-absent-from-his-Celadon-team Nidos; his Kangaskhan was a workout, but not as much of one as before.

While I was here, I also grabbed the Lapras from the scientist near Gary. I named it HM Taxi; it will handle Surf, Strength, Rock Smash and Waterfall. "Taxi" is a term that gets used in PMD fandom to refer, basically, to an HMer; there are some dungeons that can only be entered if your team has a certain HM move such as Surf, and a common tactic is to bring a pokémon who knows the requisite move and then send it back to its Friend Area as soon as you're in the dungeon. Thus the term "taxi", and thus the name "HM Taxi".

Team:
    Bulbasaur L40

Charmander L42
    Flamethrower, Smokescreen, Slash, Metal Claw

Pikachu L41

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25
    Mist, Body Slam, Confuse Ray, Perish Song

Pokédex:

Next: A Catching Spree in the Safari Zone! ^_^
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 30th July 2008 at 01:42 AM.

Advanced Trainer

With Saffron City free of Team Rocket's nefarious clutches, I had a Gym to beat. Two, actually. I healed at the Pokémon Center and then went first to the Fighting Dojo, where I earned myself a Hitmonchan in short order, and then to Saffron City Gym. In the first battle Bulbasaur took out two Slowpoke and a Slowbro, but took major damage from a Confusion attack in the process. I decided continuing to use it was too risky, and it had just caught up to Pikachu and Charmander in level, so I moved the Everstone from Bulbasaur to Charmander and stuck with Pikachu for the Slowpoke.

I cleared out all of the minor trainers and approached Sabrina. Charmander slew Kadabra and nearly finished Mr. Mime but got blasted at the last minute (I think I might actually have won that round with no problem if I hadn't gotten distracted by finding myself with a flat tire. Long story.) Pikachu finished off Mr. Mime and then roasted Venomoth easily, but Alakazam proved too strong for Pikachu to handle. I sent in Bulbasaur to stall while I used a Revive on Charmander. Alakazam ate Bulbasaur with a Psychic, and then it and Charmander got into an endurance war. Both Psychic and Future Sight were strong enough to require a Lemonade follow-up, especially since Alkazam was faster...I was just lucky it never used Psychic on a turn when Future Sight completed. Finally Charmander got an opening to finish what Pikachu started with a single Slash, and the Marsh Badge was mine.

After all that, I needed a breather...like a nice, relaxing fishing trip. I flew to Lavender and headed south. I picked up a Return TM in the guardhouse, and decided to teach it to Bulbasaur over Tackle. The move came in handy in the double battle with the Young Couple just before Snorlax.

...ah, yes...Snorlax...after a peek in my Pokéballs pocket to see what I had, I decided to give catching the sleepy behemoth a try. After all, if I failed, there was another on Route 16 that I could try my luck on after stocking up on Ultra Balls. I whipped out Mr. Fuji's Poké Flute and got the shindig started.

Turn 1 = Sleep Powder. The move worked, but then Snorlax gulped its Chesto Berry, woke up and Headbutted Bulbasaur. I put it back to sleep, and then tried a Return that took off somewhere between a third and a quarter of Slorlax's HP. Razor Leaf proved a little weaker, and on that turn Snorlax woke up and used Yawn. I used my one turn of consciousness to put Snorlax to sleep again so it couldn't Rest, and then used my only Awakening to rouse Bulbasaur without also waking Snorlax.

I used another Return next, bringing Snorlax one pixel away from the Red Zone...and then took a gamble. Leech Seed. That turn, however, Snorlax woke up and used Rest. To my relief, Rest did not undo the Leech Seed, so I went back to Return. Two turns later, Snorlax was still asleep and down to a single pixel of life.

If Snorlax used any move other than Rest it would faint next turn. This was possibly my only chance. I threw an Ultra Ball...and it held. Snorlax was mine! I dug up the Leftovers, gave it to Pikachu since either of the other two would need to hold the Everstone, and then continued south...to the home of the Fishing Guru's brother.

One Super Rod later, it was time to catch things again. I went outside, fished up a Horsea and caught it, and then flew to Vermilion, went north to the pond in Route 5 and fished up a Gyarados. O_O Not was I was looking for here, but I steeled myself and caught it anyway. Then I kept fishing and eventually caught a Poliwhirl. I went back through my logs and saw that I'd already used the names Trade Me!, TradeMeToo and GetRidOfMe, so I named this Poliwhirl JynxCoupon and then...well, you can guess what I did with it then. "Zynx" was holding a letter from her previous trainer Dontae, reading "THAT'S A HEALTHY JYNX ! BE KIND TO IT", so I sent the letter to my PC and then crammed Zynx into eternal storage as kindly as I could.

With a Pokédex completion of 43, I was eligible to recieve the Amulet Coin from another of Prof. Oak's Aides. I Coptered to Celadon, whupped the other Snorlax's half-ton behind, and collected my prize just for the sake of celebrating my dex progress. Then it was back to Route 12 for me, and I battled my way through Routes 12, 13, 14 and 15 to reach Fucshia City.

I entered the Safari Zone and collected most of the scattered items, while catching a Rhyhorn, a Venonat, an Exeggcute, and a Nidorino. I nicknamed the Venonat GiveMeAway, and the Nidorino GenderSwap. Then, after picking up HM 3 and teaching Surf to HM Taxi, I whipped out the Super Rod and caught a Goldeen and a Dratini (I found several Seaking, all of whom broke out of Safari Balls instantly...even the ones I pegged with two rocks first.)

Since I couldn't cross water without Koga's badge, I next went to Fucshia Gym and cleaned house. Bulbasaur was invaluable here; not only did its immunity to poisoning and its ability to "poison" Poison-types with Leech Seed make it the best option against the Tamers and Koga, its Return even managed to thwomp some of the Psychic-types before they could blast it with their super-effective attacks. The rest of the Psychics were handled by Charmander's Slash, Flamethrower and occasional Dragon Rage.

Soul Badge in hand, I returned to the Safari Zone. I used Surf to pick up all of the items I didn't get last time, and I also caught a Parasect, a Venomoth, a Psyduck and a Tauros. I turned in the Warden's Gold Teeth for HM 4, taught Strength to HM Taxi, and decided where to go next...

Team:
    Bulbasaur L47
    Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Return, Sleep Powder

Charmander L47
    Flamethrower, Dragon Rage, Slash, Metal Claw

Pikachu L47

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25
    Surf, Strength, Confuse Ray, Perish Song

Pokédex:

Next: Thunder in the Mountains! The Shocking Zapdos!

Advanced Trainer

I LIIIVVE! Ahem.

After stocking up on Ultra Balls, I rode HM Copter from Fucshia City to Vermilion and put the Nidorino I'd named GenderSwap into my party. I rushed toward Route 11...and got challenged by the first Youngster in the Route. I'd completely forgotten that I never battled the trainers here...so I fought them all before entering the guardhouse on the other side. In there, I traded GenderSwap the Nidorino for Youngster Turner's Nidorina, "Nina". From there, I continued east and north to use Surf to pick up the item ball on an island on Route 12.

I arrived in Lavender Town, put Nina in cold storage, and continued north. I battled the trainers in Route 10, and then ducked into Rock Tunnel. With a Flash from HM Wielder to light the way, I worked my way back through the place to the north entrance.

After a quick visit to the Rock Tunnel Pokémon Center, I continued north, put HM Taxi into the river and hopped on for a ride. I was surprised to meet a few Tentacool on the way; since I didn't have one yet, I caught the first one I met. Odd to find them up here in the mountains...

I reached the end of the river and entered the Abandoned Power Plant. There was plenty to find here, both in terms of items and Pokédex entries. The first few pokémon I met were all Voltorb and Pikachu, for which I already had data, but before too long I found and bagged a Magneton. Several Pikachu later I snagged a Magnemite, and then woke up one of the Electrode hiding as item balls. Unfortunately, it blew up before I could catch it. I did manage to catch the next one, though, by hitting with Bulbasaur's Sleep Powder on Turn 1.

At the rear exit of the building, with what looked like a Shiftry Pokédoll in its claws, was the Legendary Bird Zapdos! I saved, and entered battle with it. Charmander took a few Thunder Waves and a nasty Drill Peck, but managed to get Zapdos's HP down into the red despite Zapdos's occasional Detect. I crossed my fingers and switched to Bulbasaur for Sleep Powdering. Zapdos hit it with Thunder Wave, and then Drill Pecked the next turn. Down went Bulbasaur, back in went Charmander. I used a Revive on Bulbasaur while Zapdos Drilled Charmander again; this time Charmander fainted and Bulbasaur didn't have to switch into an attack. Luckily, Zapdos used Agility, and Bulbasaur tagged it with Sleep Powder. Then the Ultra Ball throwing began.

After breaking out of four Ultra Balls with little to no effort, Zapdos woke up, but its move list only included one damaging attack and it used moves at random, so despite paralysis Bulbasaur managed to put it back to sleep. The second time it woke up, Bulbasaur wasn't so lucky. I gave up on Sleep Powder, switched to Pikachu and hit Zapdos with Thunder Wave. After a few Double Teams, I got back to throwing Ultra Balls; Zapdos was using Drill Peck, and hitting with it, rarely enough that Pikachu's Leftovers could handle the damage from the Flying-type attack.

Unfortunately, Zapdos managed to break out of all of my Pokéballs. I reverted to save and tried again. This time Bulbasaur didn't live long enough to get off even a single Sleep Powder, but Pikachu's luck was better; it avoided paralysis long enough to use six Double Teams easily, and as I came close to running out of Ultra Balls again, one finally held.

With Zapdos finally defeated, I flew back home to Pallet Town to heal. After this rest, it would be time to head to the next Gym...on the volcanic Cinnabar Island.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L49

Charmander L48

Pikachu L48

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25
    Surf, Strength, Confuse Ray, Perish Song

Pokédex:

Next: Duel with the Volcano Lord!

Advanced Trainer

Into the water I went, Surfing south from Pallet Town along Route 21 to Cinnabar Island. I battled all of the trainers along the way, and then made landfall at Cinnabar. The first thing I did there was go to the Pokémon Lab, where I revived Omanyte. This gave me a Pokédex completion of 60, satisfying the requirements for the "postgame content". Nonetheless, completionist that I am, I want ahead and also revived Aerodactyl, and traded GiveMeAway the Venonat for Secretary Norma's Tangela, "Tangeny". I forgave Tangeny for its bad name when I noticed it was holding Stardust. This didn't save it from a one-way trip to Bill's PC, though.

The next stop was Pokémon Mansion, to find the Secret Key that would let me challenge Blaine. Since I already had all of the Pokédex entries needed to access postgame, I barrelled through the place without bothering to catch a Koffing, Grimer or Raticate. Grabbing the Secret Key, I brought it to Cinnabar Gym and battled everyone there, completely ignoring the quiz machines as is my habit. Charmander singlehandedy defeated most of Blaine's Team but was finally bested by Arcanine. Pikachu only managed a Thunder Wave before being roasted by a single Fire Blast. I sent in Bulbasaur to stall while I revived Charmander, but Arcanine wound up stalling out with misses and self-stat boosts for so long that Bulbasaur actually defeated Arcanine.

Volcano Badge in hand, I exited the building and ran into Bill. We sailed to One Island, where I was given the task of delivering a meteorite. First, though, I combed Treasure Beach (where I had slightly better luck than in my Toxic Crusaders MTC, I might add), and then set off down Kindle Road.

At Ember Spa, I picked up an HM6 and taught Rock Smash to HM Taxi. Then I continued on to Mt. Ember, where I cleared all of the trainers on my up to the top and a battle with Moltres. Partway up, I belatedly realized I'd forgotten to restock Ultra Balls after Zapdos; counting the ones I found on the slope, I had all of twelve Balls, most but not all of them Ultra Balls. I decided to give it one or two tries anyway, saved just before the final stair, and then took on the Legendary Bird of Fire.

I knew better than to hope Bulbasaur could sneak a Sleep Powder in there, so I led with Pikachu and opened with Thunder Wave. Moltres took the paralysis and then roasted Pikachu with one Flamethrower. I sent out Charmander and Slashed, Dragon Raged, and Metal Clawed my way down to only one or two pixels of life on Moltres, but to no one's surprise it broke out of everything I had.

I opened the same way on my second try, but instead of Flamethrower, Moltres opened with Agility...so I had Pikachu whittle it down. A Thunderbolt took off slightly more than half Moltres' health, and then I switched to Quick Attack for whittling. I scored an incredible stroke of luck when Moltres Endured my last attack, which left it with about half a pixel of HP. It broke out of about half my arsenal and then an Ultra Ball held. Cheering my stupendous luck on this catch, I rode Dodou Airlines back to town and got ready to complete Bill's deceptively simple task.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L53

Charmander L54

Pikachu L53

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25
    Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Perish Song

Pokédex:

Next: And The First Shall Be Last! Frigid Warrior Articuno!

Advanced Trainer

After thoroughly exploring Two Island (and picking up the PP Max!) I spoke to the Game Corner owner and then went to Three Island, where I trashed some morons on motorbikes. Having thus saved Three Island's Pokémart from desecration, I then saved it from bankruptcy by buying lots of Ultra Balls that will come in handy later.

I combed every inch of the Berry Forest, rescued the girl whose name is so pathetic I'm not even going to type it, traded Bill's Meteorite for a Moon Stone, and then returned to One Island, and then to Cinnabar.

Since I owned two of the Legendary Birds, I was now gunning for the third. I hopped on HM Taxi and Surfed east toward Seafoam Island, battling all of the trainers along the way as a matter of course. When I arrived, though, I discovered that I had forgotten about a change made to Seafoam from its original RBY version: Fire Red does not allow you to Surf into the fast-moving current. Entering Seafoam from the Cinnabar side was therefore a dead-end.

Grumbling, I left, Flew to Fucshia, and Surfed down Route 19, again battling all of the trainers on my way to Seafoam. I reached the Island and made my way down into the lowest depths, where I finally met the final Legendary Bird: Articuno.

As with Moltres, I led with Pikachu's Thunder Wave, for an early advantage and increased catch rate. Articuno responded with Mist, but I was already done altering stats. I tried a Thunderbolt to see what it would do, and got a critical hit, fainting Articuno. I reverted to save.

As with Moltres, I led with Pikachu's Thunder Wave, for an early advantage and increased catch rate. Articuno responded with Ice Beam. Pikachu was knocked down to 2 HP, and then ate some leftovers and reached 9 HP. I sweatdropped and switched to Charmander.

Articuno used Mind Reader on Charmander, but I wasn't too concerned as I doubted Articuno knew any low-accuracy moves at the moment anyway. I tried a Metal Claw, got a critical and took off half Articuno's HP, and the paralysis prevented Articuno from responding.

One more Metal Claw wouldn't be enough and two more would faint it, so I tried a Dragon Rage to see what it would do. Annoyingly, it did about what a single non-crit metal Claw would do. Then Articuno hit Charmander with an Ice Beam, but it wasn't too much damage. I crossed my fingers, tried a Slash, and put Articuno in the red. Again, Articuno was too paralyzed to do anything about it.

Articuno still had three or four pixels of life left, but I had nothing that wouldn't faint it now, so I shrugged and started tossing Ultra Balls. Articuno broke out of several easily, while pointlessly spamming Agility and trying to use Mist more often than it was wearing off. Finally, after using Mind Reader twice in a row, the bird used Ice Beam again, and I responded with a Lemonade and kept throwing Ultra Balls.

The battle failed to rage for dozens of turns, Articuno breaking out of ball after ball and repeatedly using moves that weren't doing anything. It very rarely used Ice Beam. In the end, it finally broke out of all of my pokéballs, and I had to revert to save again.

On my third try, Articuno spent the first turn fully paralyzed. Pikachu tried a Thunderbolt and didn't crit, bringing Articuno down to half HP. Articuno spent the second turn fully paralyzed. Then Pikachu used Quick Attack and barely scratched Articuno. Articuno spent the third turn fully paralyzed.

Delighted, I spammed Double Team to minimize Ice Beam-related problems, and then started bringing the Quick Attacks. I got Articuno down to one pixel of life, and right then, Articuno scored an Ice Beam that froze Pikachu. That was fine. Pika was done for the battle anyway. I wasn't about to switch out and lose six DTs, though, so I just used a Lemonade and started throwing Ultra Balls. The fourteenth ball I threw held.

I finished getting through Seafoam, then flew to Viridian City. With all three of the Legendary Birds vanquished, it was time to take on this game's master of the Ground.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L56

Charmander L56

Pikachu L57

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Pokédex:

Next: The Final Badge!

Advanced Trainer

Hmm, apparently I never posted this...good thing I checked before erasing it.

I entered Viridian Gym and took on the Gym trainers. With unevolved pokémon, this challenge was slightly harder than it would normally be for me, but I persevered and defeated them all, using mostly Bulbasaur but putting in Charmander for some of the not-so-Ground-type ones. The battle with Giovanni was surprisingly brutal, with both Nidoqueen and Nidoking practically tearing down the entire Gym with their Earthquake attacks, but after a few Lemonades I managed to win the eighth and final Badge.

After a quick stop at the Pokémon Center, I headed down Route 22 and bumped into Gary. Pikachu took a critical Quick Attack from Gary's Pidgeot, paralyzed it with Static and then nearly fainted it with Thunderbolt. next round it was Pikachu who used Quick Attack, and Pidgeot was down. Then I put in Bulbasaur to meet Gary's Rhyhorn, and one Razor Leaf ended that round. Charmander was up next, taking off about half of Alakazam's HP with one Slash...but then Alakazam used Psychic and one-hitted Charmander.

Pikachu was still wounded from facing Pidgeot, so I sent in Bulbasaur...that was a mistake...in went Pikachu, and took out Alakazam with a Thunderbolt, but now I had no one else to switch in to meet Gary's Exeggcute. I let Exeggcute come out, and while Pikachu snacked on Leftovers, I used a Revive on Charmander. Exeggcute used Stun Spore to paralyze Pikachu. I used a Lemonade on Charmander, healing him up to full. Then Exeggcute started taking in sunlight. I switched to Charmander, hoping his resistance to Grass attacks would make this a minor issue, and sure enough Charmander lost about a fifth of his HP. A Flamethrower disposed of Exeggcute.

Out came Gary's Gyarados, and in went Pikachu. Since Pikachu has been paralyzed, Gyarados got off one Hydro Pump before Pikachu roasted it. Then Gary's final pokémon, Charizard, emerged, and I spent the first turn of that round using a Full Restore to remove both the paralysis and the Hydro Pump damage. Charizard used its free turn to deliver a Slash that took off more than half Pikachu's HP. I crossed my fingers, had Pikachu use Thunderbolt...and Pikachu scored a critical hit! Down went Charizard!

For perhaps the first time, I agreed with Gary's statement that I needed more practice. Those battles had not gone as well for me as they could have.

Team:
    Bulbasaur L58

Charmander L57

Pikachu L57

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Pokédex:

Next: Training, a Victory, more Training, and then...?

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Wondering where ya been Pory .

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Advanced Trainer

In the interest of training, I Flew to Vermilion City and rode Seagallop Hi-Speed 7 back to One Island. Bouncing between Treasure Beach and the Berry Forest, I raised my three battlers to level 60, and then boated back to Kanto and took on Victory Road. I managed to get through it without needing to go back to Viridian Pokémon Center, though doing so involved using a Leppa Berry.

By the time I'd defeated the last Victory Road trainer and collected the last item ball, my batters were all level 62. I thought for a moment, and decided to go back to Island Training to boost them all to level 65 before trying my luck against the Elite Four. I tried out the Vs. Seeker for part of this, and was sorely disappointed to learn that you can't use the device inside a cave or similar area; this was a real shame as there were two trainers in Victory Road that I really would have loved to re-battle a few times. Also, apparently the slopes of Mt. Ember count as similar to a cave, which was also a Vs. Seeker disappointment.

With Bulbasaur, Charmander and Pikachu all at level 65, I returned to Indigo Plateau, ready to try my luck. I knew going in that this first attempt would probably do little more than highlight my weak points, especially since I had no one who could use an Ice-type TM. If Lance proved a major pain, I might teach Charmander Dragon Claw...

—L.65 CHALLENGE—
    —FIGHT!—

ELITE FOUR LORELEI would like to battle!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out DEWGONG!
    Go! PIKACHU!
    PIKACHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out CLOYSTER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CLOYSTER fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out SLOWBRO!
    It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe SLOWBRO used AMNESIA!
    Foe SLOWBRO's SP. DEF. sharply rose!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe SLOWBRO's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO appears to be at 60% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO appears to be at 25% HP!
    Foe SLOWBRO used SURF!
    PIKACHU is at 25% HP!
    PIKACHU's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
    PIKACHU is at 31% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out LAPRAS!
    PIKACHU is at 37% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 45% HP!
    Foe SLOWBRO used SURF!
    PIKACHU fainted!
    Do it! BULBASAUR!
    Foe LAPRAS's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 55% HP!
    BULBASAUR used RAZOR LEAF!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used CONFUSE RAY!
    BULBASAUR became confused!
    CHUN used YELLOW FLUTE!
    BULBASAUR snapped out of its confusion.
    Foe LAPRAS's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 25% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used CONFUSE RAY!
    BULBASAUR became confused!
    CHUN used YELLOW FLUTE!
    BULBASAUR snapped out of its confusion.
    Foe LAPRAS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    BULBASAUR is at 33% HP!
    It's super effective!
    BULBASAUR fainted!
    Go for it, CHARMANDER!
    CHARMANDER used DRAGON RAGE!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 1% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used SURF!
    It's super effective!
    CHARMANDER is at 15% HP!
    CHARMANDER's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
    CHARMANDER is at 22% HP!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe LAPRAS fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out JYNX!
    CHARMANDER is at 28% HP!
    CHARMANDER used FLAMETHROWER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe JYNX fainted!
    CHUN defeated ELITE FOUR LORELEI!

Sonofa...horrible luck in that match. I used Revives on Pikachu and Bulbasaur and Lemonades all around before entering Bruno's chamber.

ELITE FOUR BRUNO would like to battle!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out ONIX!
    Go! BULBASAUR!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ONIX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONCHAN! Go! CHARMANDER! (This POKéMON is at 96% HP)
    CHARMANDER is at 100% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN appears to be at 55% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN used ROCK TOMB!
    It's super effective!
    CHARMANDER is at 60% HP!
    CHARMANDER's SPEED fell!
    Foe HITMONCHAN used SKY UPPERCUT!
    CHARMANDER is at 18% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out MACHAMP! Go! BULBASAUR!
    BULBASAUR used LEECH SEED!
    Foe MACHAMP was seeded!
    Foe MACHAMP used SCARY FACE!
    BULBASAUR's SPEED sharply fell!
    Foe MACHAMP's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 90% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP used CROSS CHOP!
    A critical hit!
    It's not very effective...
    BULBASAUR is at 42% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 60% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 50% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 57% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 23% HP!
    BULBASAUR's attack missed!
    BULBASAUR is at 38% HP!
    A critical hit!
    BULBASAUR fainted!
    Do it! PIKACHU!
    Foe MACHAMP's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 55% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 40% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 15% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 5% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 1% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 28% HP!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe MACHAMP's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    PIKACHU used QUICK ATTACK!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 95% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 34% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 80% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 50% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP's attack missed!
    PIKACHU is at 57% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 30% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 73% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out ONIX!
    PIKACHU is at 80% HP!
    CHUN used REVIVE on BULBASAUR!
    BULBASAUR is at 50% HP!
    Foe ONIX used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    PIKACHU fainted!
    Go! BULBASAUR! (This POKéMON is at 50% HP)
    Foe ONIX used EARTHQUAKE!
    BULBASAUR is at 19% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ONIX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONLEE!
    CHUN used HYPER POTION!
    BULBASAUR is at 100% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE used MEGA KICK!
    Foe HITMONLEE's attack missed!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    Foe HITMONLEE appears to be at 50% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 55% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 9% HP!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    Foe HITMONLEE appears to be at 1% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    Foe HITMONLEE appears to be at 60% HP!
    CHUN used HYPER POTION!
    BULBASAUR is at 100% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE used BRICK BREAK!
    A critical hit!
    BULBASAUR is at 55% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 6% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE appears to be at 10% HP!
    CHUN used MAX POTION!
    BULBASAUR is at 100% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE's attack missed!
    Foe HITMONLEE used FACADE!
    BULBASAUR is at 74% HP!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    Foe HITMONLEE fainted!
    CHUN defeated ELITE FOUR BRUNO!

Geez...this is not promising at all...but dumb as it may be, I'm not giving up until the final faint. A Revive on Pikachu, Lemonades for him and Bulbasaur, and a Max Potion (I'm out of Hypers) for Charmander.

ELITE FOUR AGATHA would like to battle!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR!
    Go! CHARMANDER!
    Foe GENGAR appears to be at 50% HP!
    Foe GENGAR used DOUBLE TEAM!
    Foe GENGAR's evasiveness rose!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GOLBAT! Go! PIKACHU!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GOLBAT appears to be at 5% HP!
    Foe GOLBAT used CONFUSE RAY!
    PIKACHU became confused!
    CHUN used YELLOW FLUTE!
    PIKACHU snapped out of its confusion.
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe GOLBAT's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GOLBAT fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out ARBOK! Go! BULBASAUR!
    Foe ARBOK's INTIMIDATE cuts BULBASAUR's ATTACK!
    Foe ARBOK used SCREECH!
    Foe ARBOK's attack missed!
    BULBASAUR used SLEEP POWDER!
    Foe ARBOK fell alseep!
    Foe ARBOK is fast asleep.
    Foe ARBOK was seeded!
    Foe ARBOK's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 90% HP!
    Foe ARBOK is fast asleep.
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 65% HP!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 55% HP!
    Foe ARBOK woke up!
    Foe ARBOK used SLUDGE BOMB!
    BULBASAUR is at 58% HP!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 40% HP!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 30% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 70% HP!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA withdrew ARBOK!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out HAUNTER!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    It doesn't affect foe HAUNTER...
    Foe HAUNTER used HYPNOSIS!
    BULBASAUR fell asleep!
    BULBASAUR is fast asleep.
    CHUN played the POKé FLUTE.
    The POKéMON hearing the FLUTE awoke!
    Foe HAUNTER used MEAN LOOK!
    BULBASAUR can't escape now!
    BULBASAUR fell asleep!
    BULBASAUR is fast asleep.
    The POKéMON hearing the FLUTE awoke!
    Foe HAUNTER used DREAM EATER!
    BULBASAUR wasn't affected!
    Foe HAUNTER's attack missed!
    BULBASAUR used SLEEP POWDER!
    Foe HAUNTER fell asleep!
    Foe HAUNTER is fast asleep.
    Foe HAUNTER was seeded!
    Foe HAUNTER's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 90% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 80% HP!
    BULBASAUR's attack missed!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 80% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 90% HP!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 50% HP!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 35% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 100% HP!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe HAUNTER appears to be at 5% HP!
    Foe HAUNTER fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR! Go! CHARMANDER!
    Foe GENGAR used HYPNOSIS!
    Foe GENGAR's attack missed!
    A critical hit!
    Foe GENGAR appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe GENGAR's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe GENGAR appears to be at 35% HP!
    Foe GENGAR used SLUDGE BOMB!
    CHARMANDER is at 64% HP!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out ARBOK! (This POKéMON appears to be at 25% HP)
    Foe ARBOK's INTIMIDATE cuts CHARMANDER's ATTACK!
    CHARMANDER is at 70% HP!
    Foe ARBOK fainted!
    CHUN defeated ELITE FOUR AGATHA!

Well, that wasn't quite so bad...still, I won't be lulled. Realistically, I'll need the power of Dragon Claw to stand a chance against Lance, so after using a Lemonade on Charmander I followed it with the TM02 from Victory Road.

ELITE FOUR LANCE would like to battle!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out GYARADOS!
    Go! PIKACHU!
    Foe GYARADOS's INTIMIDATE cuts PIKACHU's ATTACK!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    PIKACHU grew to LV. 66!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out DRAGONAIR! Go! CHARMANDER!
    CHARMANDER used DRAGON CLAW!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR appears to be at 35% HP!
    Foe DRAGONAIR used SAFEGUARD!
    Foe's party is covered by a veil!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR fainted!
    CHARMANDER grew to LV. 66!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out AERODACTYL! Go! PIKACHU!
    Foe AERODACTYL used ANCIENTPOWER!
    PIKACHU is at 50% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL appears to be at 35% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 56% HP!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out DRAGONAIR! Go! CHARMANDER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR appears to be at 35% HP!
    Foe DRAGONAIR used OUTRAGE!
    CHARMANDER is at 66% HP!
    Foe's party is no longer protected by SAFEGUARD!
    CHARMANDER is at 72% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out DRAGONITE!
    CHARMANDER is at 78% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 75% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE used HYPER BEAM!
    CHARMANDER fainted!
    Go! BULBASAUR!
    Foe DRAGONITE must recharge!
    Foe DRAGONITE was seeded!
    Foe DRAGONITE's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 60% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE used WING ATTACK!
    It's super effective!
    BULBASAUR fainted!
    Do it! PIKACHU! (This POKéMON is at 56% HP)
    PIKACHU is at 62% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 45% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 80% HP!
    CHUN used MAX REVIVE on CHARMANDER!
    PIKACHU fainted!
    Do it! CHARMANDER!
    Foe DRAGONITE's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 65% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 50% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE must recharge!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 10% HP!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe DRAGONITE's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 35% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 1% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 8% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 14% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 0% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 15% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    CHUN defeated ELITE FOUR LANCE!
    What? CHARMANDER is evolving!
    Huh? CHARMANDER stopped evolving!

Maaajor sigh of relief...and then two Revives, two Lemonades and a Max Potion. Then I reviewed my team's PP and decided to give an Ether to Pikachu for more Thunderbolts, and another to Bulbasaur for more Razor Leaves. I'd gone in expecting to crash and burn by now, and to be fair I nearly had, but now I was ready to give the last battle my all...

CHAMPION GARY would like to battle!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out PIDGEOT!
    Go! PIKACHU!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PIDGEOT appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe PIDGEOT used AERIAL ACE!
    PIKACHU is at 79% HP!
    PIKACHU's STATIC paralyzed Foe PIDGEOT! It may be unable to move!
    PIKACHU is at 85% HP!
    CHAMPION GARY used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe PIDGEOT's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PIDGEOT appears to be at 25% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 91% HP!
    CHAMPION GARY withdrew PIDGEOT!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out RHYDON!
    It doesn't affect Foe RHYDON...
    PIKACHU is at 97% HP!
    That's enough, PIKACHU! Come back! Go! BULBASAUR!
    Foe RHYDON used EARTHQUAKE!
    BULBASAUR is at 23% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe RHYDON fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out ALAKAZAM! Go! CHARMANDER!
    Foe ALAKAZAM used PSYCHIC!
    CHARMANDER is at 35% HP!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe ALAKAZAM appears to be at 65% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 41% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM used FUTURE SIGHT!
    Foe ALAKAZAM foresaw an attack!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe ALAKAZAM appears to be at 25% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 47% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM used FUTURE SIGHT!
    But it failed!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe ALAKAZAM fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out GYARADOS! Go! PIKACHU! (This POKéMON is at 97% HP)
    Foe GYARADOS's INTIMIDATE cuts PIKACHU's ATTACK!
    PIKACHU is at 100% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 5% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS used HYDRO PUMP!
    PIKACHU is at 14% HP!
    PIKACHU is at 20% HP!
    PIKACHU took the FUTURE SIGHT attack!
    PIKACHU fainted!
    Your foe's weak! Get 'em, BULBASAUR! (This POKéMON is at 23% HP)
    CHUN used MAX POTION!
    BULBASAUR is at 100% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    Foe GYARADOS used THRASH!
    BULBASAUR is at 50% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS was seeded!
    Foe GYARADOS's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 90% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 67% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 15% HP!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    A critical hit!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 45% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 35% HP!
    BULBASAUR is at 32% HP!
    BULBASAUR used RETURN!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 5% HP!
    BULBASAUR fainted!
    Your foe's weak! Get 'em, CHARMANDER! (This POKéMON is at 47% HP)
    CHARMANDER is at 53% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS appears to be at 0% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 62% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out PIDGEOT!
    CHUN used MAX REVIVE on PIKACHU!
    PIKACHU is at 100% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 30% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 36% HP!
    CHUN used LEMONADE!
    CHARMANDER is at 90% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 57% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 63% HP!
    Foe PIDGEOT fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out EXEGGUTOR!
    CHARMANDER is at 69% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR used LIGHT SCREEN!
    Foe's LIGHT SCREEN raised SP. DEF.!
    CHARMANDER is at 75% HP!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR appears to be at 60% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 81% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR used EGG BOMB!
    CHARMANDER is at 42% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 48% HP!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR fainted!
    CHARMANDER grew to LV. 67!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out CHARIZARD!
    CHARMANDER is at 55% HP!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 85% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD used FIRE BLAST!
    CHARMANDER is at 14% HP!
    Foe's LIGHT SCREEN wore off!
    CHARMANDER is at 20% HP!
    CHUN used MAX POTION!
    Foe CHARIZARD used SLASH!
    CHARMANDER is at 74% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 80% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 70% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD used SLASH!
    CHARMANDER is at 55% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 61% HP!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 50% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 20% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 26% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 65% HP!
    CHUN used LEMONADE!
    CHARMANDER is at 78% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 34% HP!
    CHARMANDER is at 40% HP!
    CHARMANDER used SLASH!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 45% HP!
    CHARMANDER fainted!
    Do it! PIKACHU!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CHARIZARD fainted!
    What? CHARMANDER is evolving!
    Huh? CHARMANDER stopped evolving!

CHUN defeated CHAMPION GARY!

I climbed a tower I didn't think I could reach, faced attacks as powerful as a direct meteor strike, and not only survived but triumphed. Prof. Oak showed up and congratulated me on taking hold of my destiny, and then the credits were rolling on THE END...

...an End that hid a new beginning...

Team:
    Bulbasaur L65

Charmander L67
    Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Slash, Metal Claw

Pikachu L66

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Pokédex:

Next: Let the Post-Game Content Commence!
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 15th March 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Congratulations. I read it all, I just didn't felt like replying at the time. So what new challenge now?

Advanced Trainer

Well, when I'm done with this challenge I'll be putting effort into building a team I can do WiFi battles with. This challenge isn't over yet, though. I still have to do the post-game Sevii Islands stuff and then defeat Mewtwo. More than half the fun of Mystery Dungeon's in the post-game content, after all.

Advanced Trainer

After I returned home, Prof. Oak summoned me to his lab with word that new species of pokémon were being sighted. He upgraded my Pokédex, and Gary dropped a broad hint that maybe the Sevii Islands would be a good place to check. So, like a good little hint follower, I flew to Vermilion and boarded Seagallop Hi-Speed 7 yet again.

I spoke to Celio, and he sent me on a quest for a rare gemstone. The quest led me to the base of Mt. Ember, where a cave had appeared that wasn't there before! I beat a couple of Team Rocket grunts who were blocking the way, went inside and fought a few wild pokémon, and then Bulbasaur grew a level and started glowing. To my utter amazement, it transformed into an Ivysaur!

As I moved deeper into the cave, my other pokémon followed suit. By the time I reached the bottom, I had a Venusaur, a Charizard and a Raichu. Clearly there must be some mystical power residing in this newly-opened cave! Certainly it can't have had anything to do with the Thunder Stone and three Rare Candies I used.

In the very bottom of the cave, I found the Ruby sitting on a pedestal. I brought it back up to the sunlight and flew back to Celio. In exchange, I got a Rainbow Pass, unlocking four more islands to explore; a map to find my way around them, and another quest: track down the other gem Celio needed to finish upgrading the Network Machine.

I boated over to Island Four, chatted with Gary briefly, and then went into Icefall Cave where I found HM07, taught Waterfall to HM Taxi, and then helped Lorelei clock some poaching Team Rocket members. Hearing that their warehouse was on Five Island, I decided to poke around there.

Team:
    Venusaur L67

Charizard L69

Raichu L67

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25
    Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall

Next: Island-Hopping and Rocket-Mopping!

Advanced Trainer

I battled some Rockets on Five Island and reached their Warehouse, but still only had one of the two passwords I needed...so I dicked around the Sevii Islands for a while, battling random trainers. I cleared out Five and Seven Islands before heading to Six Island, where I defeated everyone in the Pattern Bush and around Outcast Island before heading south to Ruin Valley.

I beat all of the Hikers, Ruin Maniacs and so forth, collected all of the item balls behind boulder puzzles, and then entered Dotted Hole and dropped all the way down to the Sapphire...only to have it swiped from under me by Scientist Stupidface. I'll learn his name when I battle him later, but for now he is Scientist Stupidface...and frankly, he'll probably be Scientist Stupidface even after I've beaten him.

With the password he'd given me fresh in mind, I returned to Five Island to take on the Team Rocket Warehouse. The two passwords together opened the door, and then I moved throughout the Warehouse battling Rockets and collecting items, thanks to a guide I'd made a few runthroughs ago. By the time it was over, the events of Gold/Silver had been set in motion and I had the Sapphire in my possession. (Ah, yes, Scientist Gideon. "Gideon" is of course pronounced "STOO-pihd-fayce".)

After visiting Lorelei on Four Island and letting her know the poachers had been dealt with, I boated back to One Island and delivered the Sapphire to Celio, who was overjoyed to see it. With the Network Machine complete and Lorelei free to return to the Pokémon League, my work here was done, so I grabbed a Seagallop back to Vermilion City.

Team:
    Venusaur L73

Charizard L73

Raichu L72

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Next: Rematch time! Whee!

Advanced Trainer

At this point, I could freely complete the Challenge by visiting Cerulean Cave and facing Mewtwo. First, though, I wanted to try my luck against the new, improved Elite Four. After all, Gary's team now includes an Alakazam, a Charizard and a Tyranitar...no way am I passing that up.

I decided to see what I could do at my current levels before putting more effort into level-building.

—AVERAGE PARTY LEVEL: 73—
    —FIGHT!—

ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out DEWGONG! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG appears to be at 10% HP!
    Foe DEWGONG used DOUBLE TEAM!
    Foe DEWGONG's evasiveness rose!
    Foe DEWGONG's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    RAICHU used QUICK ATTACK!
    Foe DEWGONG appears to be at 90% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG fainted!
    RAICHU grew to level 73!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out PILOSWINE! Go! CHARIZARD!
    CHARIZARD used FLAMETHROWER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PILOSWINE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out CLOYSTER! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CLOYSTER fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out JYNX! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe JYNX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out LAPRAS! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS used SURF!
    RAICHU is at 58% HP!
    RAICHU's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
    RAICHU is at 64% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    Foe LAPRAS's CHERI BERRY cured its paralysis!
    RAICHU is at 70% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS fainted!

That went fairly well. Raichu got a Lemonade before I headed to the next room.

ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out STEELIX! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe STEELIX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONCHAN!
    Foe HITMONCHAN appears to be at 45% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN was burned!
    Foe HITMONCHAN used ROCK SLIDE!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 59% HP!
    CHARIZARD's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
    CHARIZARD is at 65% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN is hurt by its burn!
    Foe HITMONCHAN appears to be at 30% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONLEE! Go! VENUSAUR!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe HITMONLEE appears to be at 35% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 67% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe HITMONLEE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out STEELIX! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 65% HP)
    CHARIZARD is at 70% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe STEELIX fainted!
    CHARIZARD grew to level 74!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out MACHAMP! Go! VENUSAUR! (This POKéMON is at 67% HP)
    VENUSAUR used SLEEP POWDER!
    Foe MACHAMP fell asleep!
    Foe MACHAMP is fast asleep.
    VENUSAUR used LEECH SEED!
    Foe MACHAMP was seeded!
    Foe MACHAMP is fast asleep.
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 90% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 80% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe MACHAMP woke up!
    Foe MACHAMP used EARTHQUAKE!
    VENUSAUR is at 52% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 64% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 10% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP used EARTHQUAKE!
    Foe MACHAMP's attack missed!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 0% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 74% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP fainted!

Takin' care of business. Venusaur and Charizard got a Lemonade each on the way to the next room.

ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR! Go! CHARIZARD!
    Foe GENGAR appears to be at 25% HP!
    CHARIZARD fell asleep!
    The POKéMON hearing the flute awoke!
    Foe GENGAR used CONFUSE RAY!
    CHARIZARD became confused!
    CHUN played the YELLOW FLUTE.
    CHARIZARD snapped out of its confusion.
    CHARIZARD fell asleep!
    The POKéMON hearing the flute awoke!
    Foe GENGAR used PSYCHIC!
    CHARIZARD is at 77% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 83% HP!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out MISDREAVUS! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe MISDREAVUS appears to be at 35% HP!
    Foe MISDREAVUS used SHADOW BALL!
    RAICHU is at 69% HP!
    RAICHU is at 75% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe MISDREAVUS fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out ARBOK! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 83% HP)
    Foe ARBOK's INTIMIDATE cuts CHARIZARD's ATTACK!
    CHARIZARD is at 89% HP!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 45% HP!
    Foe ARBOK used DOUBLE TEAM!
    Foe ARBOK's evasiveness rose!
    CHARIZARD is at 95% HP!
    Foe ARBOK fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR! Go! RAICHU! (This POKéMON is at 75% HP)
    RAICHU is at 81% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe GENGAR used PSYCHIC!
    RAICHU is at 42% HP!
    RAICHU is at 48% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out CROBAT!
    RAICHU is at 54% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CROBAT fainted!

That battle probably would have gone differently if I hadn't been forewarned that Misdreavus and the second Gengar both knew Thunderbolt and Arbok knew Earthquake. As it was, I had no real trouble and only needed to give one Lemonade to Raichu going in to the next room.

ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out GYARADOS! Go! RAICHU! (This POKéMON is at 98% HP)
    Foe GYARADOS's INTIMIDATE cuts RAICHU's ATTACK!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    RAICHU grew to level 74!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out AERODACTYL!
    RAICHU is at 100% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL appears to be at 1% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    RAICHU is at 18% HP!
    RAICHU is at 24% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL appears to be at 5% HP!
    RAICHU is at 30% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out DRAGONITE! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 95% HP)
    CHARIZARD is at 100% HP!
    CHARIZARD used DRAGON CLAW!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE used DRAGON CLAW!
    CHARIZARD is at 76% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 82% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    CHARIZARD is at 88% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 49% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 55% HP!
    CHARIZARD used METAL CLAW!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 40% HP!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 11% HP!
    CHARIZARD is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    CHARIZARD is at 17% HP!
    CHUN used FULL RESTORE!
    CHARIZARD's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    Foe DRAGONITE used OUTRAGE!
    CHARIZARD is at 69% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 76% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 1% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE used OUTRAGE!
    CHARIZARD is at 47% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 54% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE became confused due to fatigue!
    Foe DRAGONITE's PERSIM BERRY snapped it out of confusion!
    Foe DRAGONITE's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 60% HP!
    CHARIZARD used SLASH!
    CHARIZARD is at 12% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 19% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out KINGDRA! Go! VENUSAUR!
    Foe KINGDRA fell asleep!
    Foe KINGDRA is fast asleep.
    Foe KINGDRA was seeded!
    Foe KINGDRA's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 90% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    A critical hit!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA woke up!
    Foe KINGDRA used DRAGON DANCE!
    Foe KINGDRA's ATTACK rose!
    Foe KINGDRA's SPEED rose!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 10% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA used HYPER BEAM!
    VENUSAUR is at 52% HP!
    But, it failed!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 0% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 62% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA fainted!

A couple of "if only I'd been one or two levels higher" moments in there, but it could have been worse. Venusaur got a Lemonade, Charizard and Raichu got Hyper Potions, Raichu's Thunderbolt got a Max Ether...and then it was time to enter the final chamber.

CHAMPION GARY sent out HERACROSS! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe HERACROSS appears to be at 10% HP!
    Foe HERACROSS was burned!
    Foe HERACROSS used ROCK TOMB!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 68% HP!
    CHARIZARD's SPEED fell!
    Foe HERACROSS is hurt by its burn!
    Foe HERACROSS fainted!
    CHARIZARD is at 74% HP!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out GYARADOS! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 10% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    RAICHU is at 20% HP!
    RAICHU is at 26% HP!
    Foe CHARIZARD's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe CHARIZARD appears to be at 30% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CHARIZARD fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out TYRANITAR! Go! VENUSAUR! (This POKéMON is at 99% HP)
    TYRANITAR's SAND STREAM whipped up a sandstorm!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    VENUSAUR is at 93% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RAZOR LEAF!
    VENUSAUR's attack missed!
    Foe TYRANITAR used AERIAL ACE!
    It's super effective!
    VENUSAUR is at 53% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 47% HP!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 15% HP!
    It's super effective!
    VENUSAUR is at 1% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR fainted!
    Go for it, CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 74% HP)
    Foe TYRANITAR's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    CHARIZARD used METAL CLAW!
    It's super effective!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 80% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    CHARIZARD is at 68% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 74% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 55% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 37% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 30% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 37% HP!
    CHUN used HYPER POTION!
    CHARIZARD is at 100% HP!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 16% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 10% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 16% HP!
    CHUN used HYPER POTION!
    CHARIZARD is at 100% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 78% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 71% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 78% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 35% HP!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 35% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 29% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 35% HP!
    CHUN used HYPER POTION on RAICHU!
    RAICHU is at 100% HP!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD fainted!
    Go for it, RAICHU!
    The sandstorm rages.
    RAICHU is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    RAICHU is at 94% HP!
    RAICHU is at 100% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    TYRANITAR appears to be at 1% HP!
    TYRANITAR used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    RAICHU fainted!
    CHUN is out of battlers!
    CHUN was defeated!

Goddammit, where's Ninetales when you need her!? Okay, I've got some training to do, it seems...

Team:
    Venusaur L73

Charizard L73

Raichu L72

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Next: Rematch time. ...Whee.

Advanced Trainer

Since I had been completely stomped by Tyranitar, I trained my battlers up to level 80 before trying again. Just to be cheeky, I did most of this training in Cerulean Cave, clearing the place of item balls and hidden items all the way up to Mewtwo's platform. I didn't face Mewtwo yet, since that's the end of the challenge and I'm not quitting without overcoming Alakazam's Team. I don't care that you never do so in PMD; I'm doing so now. Hopefully right now.

—LEVEL 80 CHALLENGE—
    —FIGHT!—

ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out DEWGONG! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out PILOSWINE! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PILOSWINE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out CLOYSTER! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CLOYSTER fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out JYNX! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe JYNX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LORELEI sent out LAPRAS! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 1% HP!
    RAICHU is at 68% HP!
    RAICHU is at 74% HP!
    RAICHU used QUICK ATTACK!
    Foe LAPRAS appears to be at 90% HP!
    RAICHU is at 80% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS fainted!

Lorelei: "...Things shouldn't be this way!" Awpoorbaby. I didn't even bother healing Raichu yet.

ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out STEELIX! Go! CHARIZARD!
    It's super effective!
    Foe STEELIX fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONCHAN!
    CHARIZARD used AERIAL ACE!
    A critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe HITMONCHAN fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out HITMONLEE!
    It's super effective!
    Foe HITMONLEE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out MACHAMP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 15% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP used ROCK SLIDE!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 35% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 41% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    Foe MACHAMP appears to be at 25% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 47% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe MACHAMP fainted!
    ELITE FOUR BRUNO sent out STEELIX!
    CHARIZARD is at 53% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe STEELIX fainted!

Oh, did I forget to mention I decided to teach Charizard a Flying move? Yeah. Guess what, Bruno. I decided to teach Charizard a Flying move. This time, I went ahead and used a Hyper Potion on Charizard before continuing.

ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR! Go! CHARIZARD!
    Foe GENGAR used PSYCHIC!
    CHARIZARD is at 79% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 85% HP!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out MISDREAVUS! Go! RAICHU! (This POKéMON is at 80% HP)
    RAICHU is at 86% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe MISDREAVUS appears to be at 15% HP!
    Foe MISDREAVUS used SHADOW BALL!
    RAICHU is at 62% HP!
    RAICHU's SPC.DEF fell!
    RAICHU is at 68% HP!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe MISDREAVUS's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe MISDREAVUS appears to be at 20% HP!
    RAICHU is at 74% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe MISDREAVUS fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out ARBOK! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 85% HP)
    Foe ARBOK's INTIMIDATE cuts CHARIZARD's ATTACK!
    CHARIZARD is at 92% HP!
    Foe ARBOK appears to be at 25% HP!
    Foe ARBOK used SLUDGE BOMB!
    CHARIZARD is at 69% HP!
    CHARIZARD was poisoned!
    CHARIZARD is at 77% HP!
    CHARIZARD's hurt by the poison!
    CHARIZARD is at 63% HP!
    Foe ARBOK fainted!
    CHARIZARD grew to LV. 81!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out GENGAR! Go! RAICHU! (This POKéMON is at 74% HP)
    RAICHU is at 80% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe GENGAR appears to be at 20% HP!
    Foe GENGAR used PSYCHIC!
    RAICHU is at 47% HP!
    RAICHU is at 53% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    ELITE FOUR AGATHA sent out CROBAT!
    RAICHU is at 59% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CROBAT fainted!
    CHUN defeated ELITE FOUR AGATHA!

Raichu and Charizard got a Lemonade each, and Charizard got a Pecha Berry. Then, it was Lance's turn to feel the pain.

ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out GYARADOS! Go! RAICHU! (This POKéMON is at 99% HP)
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    RAICHU grew to LV. 81!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out AERODACTYL!
    RAICHU is at 100% HP!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out DRAGONITE! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 96% HP)
    CHARIZARD is at 100% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE used DRAGON CLAW!
    CHARIZARD is at 80% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 86% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    CHARIZARD is at 92% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE appears to be at 50% HP!
    It's super effective!
    CHARIZARD is at 57% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 65% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    ELITE FOUR LANCE sent out KINGDRA! Go! VENUSAUR!
    But, it failed!
    Foe KINGDRA used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    VENUSAUR is at 72% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA fell asleep!
    Foe KINGDRA was seeded!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 90% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 82% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA woke up!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 50% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA appears to be at 30% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 92% HP!
    Foe KINGDRA used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    VENUSAUR is at 62% HP!
    VENUSAUR used RETURN!
    Foe KINGDRA fainted!

Despite Kingdra being more of a pain this time through, all told that was easier than last time. Charizard and Venusaur got Lemonades, I reviewed my team's PP and decided it would do, and then I set forth for my rematch with the most famous Gold-Rank Rescue Team in the business.

CHAMPION GARY sent out HERACROSS! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 98% HP)
    It's super effective!
    Foe HERACROSS fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out GYARADOS! Go! RAICHU!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    RAICHU used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CHARIZARD fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out TYRANITAR! Go! VENUSAUR! (This POKéMON is at 96% HP)
    TYRANITAR's SAND STREAM whipped up a sandstorm!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 90% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR fell asleep!
    Foe TYRANITAR is fast asleep.
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 84% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR was seeded!
    Foe TYRANITAR is fast asleep.
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 78% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR's health is sapped by LEECH SEED!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 90% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 91% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 30% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR woke up!
    VENUSAUR is at 54% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 48% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 20% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 61% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR's FULL RESTORE restored health!
    It's super effective!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 45% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    VENUSAUR is at 55% HP!
    Foe TYRANITAR appears to be at 35% HP!
    VENUSAUR is at 68% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe TYRANITAR fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out ALAKAZAM! Go! CHARIZARD! (This POKéMON is at 98% HP)
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 91% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Foe ALAKAZAM appears to be at 95% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 98% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM appears to be at 35% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM used PSYCHIC!
    CHARIZARD is at 63% HP!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 57% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Foe ALAKAZAM appears to be at 30% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 63% HP!
    Foe ALAKAZAM fainted!
    CHAMPION GARY sent out EXEGGUTOR!
    The sandstorm rages.
    CHARIZARD is at 57% HP!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR appears to be at 95% HP!
    CHARIZARD is at 63% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe EXEGGUTOR fainted!
    CHUN defeated CHAMPION GARY!

With Alakazam, Charizard and Tyranitar defeated, Chun ran his victory lap around the entirety of Kanto for the second time, and then when the game restarted, I flew to Cerulean for one last Challenge-clearing battle...

Team:
    Venusaur L80

Charizard L81
    Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Aerial Ace, Slash

Raichu L81

HM Wielder L20
    Thief, Dig, Flash, Cut

HM Copter L18

HM Taxi L25

Next: The Final Entry...