Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Performing Arts Contest

Jump, little Snorlax, jump! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

red apple The Performing Arts Contest

Let’s do this!

We find ourselves in the middle of a grand theatrical stage where a Pokemon Contest is soon to begin! For this Contest, your creativity will be put to the test as you dabble in the performing arts. The first two rounds will consist of warm-up exercises assessing your ability to both interpret and deliver rousing performances while the final round will have you putting together a miniature theatrical sketch using various props and your Pokemon.

Anyone can sign up and you'll do so using two Pokemon each. This will be a small Contest with only five participants and there will be no eliminations. I want to close sign-ups no later than a week from today, so be fast!

1. MeLoVeGhOsTs with Chris Xeroxx (Kecleon, m) and Walt Gluttolot (Munchlax, m)
    2. BTPoke with Rosalinda (Gardevoir, f) and Sake (Mienshao, m)
    3. Ash0011 with Leo (Smeargle, f) and Psyshock (Gallade, m)
    4. Ayeun with Miss Skittyfantastico (Skitty, f) and Mo-Mo (Buneary, f)
    5. Emerald_Gen.3 with Le-a (Gothita, m) and Kissing Booth (Smoochum, f)

Break a leg!
    Last edited by Oslo; 5th June 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: The Performing Arts Contest

I'll be entering with Chris Xeroxx my male Kecleon and Walt Gluttolot my male Munchlax. Color Change and Thick Fat respectively.

Been ages since I've done a contest, should be cool!

Luck's least favorite person Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Oh hell yeah, I am so in on this

I'll be entering with my Rosalinda, my female Gardevoir @trace; and Sake, my male mienshao @regenerator.

Is ASB Back? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I'll join with
    Smeargle
    Female
    Leo
    own tempo

and

Gallade
    male
    Psyshock
    Justified
    learned entrainment

The Damsel of Disaster! Moderator

Might as well...

Miss Skittyfantastico the female Skitty, and Mo-Mo the shiny female buneary.

Cute charm and run away, if needed.

Vs Seeker - 99% complete. Click here.

Winner of the 2010 "P for Princess", the 2013 "'Try again?'", and the 2014 "Jury" and "Mod Newbie" Awards!

Ayeun's Safari adventures.

Does it look like I care? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Ok umm... I'll go with Le-a(M, Gothita, Frisk) and Kissing Booth(F, Smoochum, Hydration)

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker
    Adventure, another Pokemon Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a shit.

Master Trainer

And that's five! Now that we have all the participants, let's get Round 1 underway!

We'll start with a bit of a warm-up to test your ability to get in touch with your feels and interpret musical arrangements. You will pick one of three musical themes and deliver an appeal that represents your interpretation of the music. Remember, your Pokemon isn't performing to the music; instead, they're creating a visual display that captures the essence of the musical theme you have selected. The display should be original, attention-grabbing and should complement the Pokemon you'll be using. The appeal will consist of three moves used by one of your Pokemon.

Pick one of the following three songs:

Be sure to state at the beginning of the appeal which theme you'll be using. With that, let the appeals begin! Round 1 judging will go up no later than a week from today, so be sure all the appeals are in by then.

(Also, Ash, as with the Monster Movie Contest, remember that Leo can only use moves she has seen during this Contest or moves that she executes using a Sketched medium.)
    Last edited by Oslo; 5th June 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Starve The Ego, Feed The Soul Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

FUDGE I REALLLLLY WANNA BE IN ON THIS!

You put this hours ago and i already miss it
    Edretah
    Level 90 Tauren BM/Survival Hunter
    VS SEEKER

"Kind and courteous is a life I've heard, but its so nice to say that we played in the dirt."
    -Jason Mraz

Just to clarify, we are not performing the song, but performing TO the songs? So they would be playing in the background while our pokemon perform?

Winner of the 2010 "P for Princess", the 2013 "'Try again?'", and the 2014 "Jury" and "Mod Newbie" Awards!

Master Trainer

No, you're creating a visual display inspired by the song that captures the song's atmosphere/essence/mood/what have you. The song does not play.

It's like Rossy, but more! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You do realize I'll be spending 30 hours listening to the songs you put up? Worth. Every. Minute.

Advanced Trainer

First (#youtubecommenter) I'm gonna be doing the Misty battle theme.

Kissing Booth you're up, start off with a Ice Beam then form it into words (preferably saying, Misty VS Red) with Psychic and finally flash freeze it with a Blizzard.

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker

We will use... Route 1 theme.

Mo-Mo, its a happy song, so why don't you skip a bit... Whats that? Skipping alone is boring? Substitute and hold your clones hand!

Oh no, she fell down! Are those Fake Tears I see?

Why don't you kiss it better with a Sweet Kiss!

Cue the "Daww"'s from the audience.

Advanced Trainer

Psyshock you're up, lets use the Lavender Town theme
    start by using a rain dance to darken the area a bit and at the end of the dance send out a ring of will-o-wisps illuminating the area in a ghostly light that stands strong despite the rain (I'm assuming will-o-wisp is unaffected by water due to its ghostly fire status) and finish by sitting down in the middle of it all and surrounding yourself with glowing orbs (confuse ray) of mysterious light

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'll be using the Gymleader theme as well. It's also my favorite theme ever.

Walt! Let's show them how we feel when we hear this music. Show them how we rock!

First off take a charging stance and Stockpile! We'll be DBZ-ing our way into this battle, similiar to how gymleaders back then used X Defends, etc. Then showcast a strong will to fight with Hyper Voice and finish with a bang like we used to cream gymleaders and use Superpower!

Elite Trainer

For this appeal, I will be using Rosalinda, and the music will be the Lavender Town theme.

Alright, Rosalinda, for this appeal I want you to get into what I'm going to dub your "Nightmare Mode."

Ok, Rosalinda. Let's try to delve into the core of this piece.

First things first, I want you to slowly levitate into the air and use trick room around yourself. Try to make it so it forms a smaller kind of room around you so it's visible to the audience. We need to capture the slowness of this piece, and the feeling of hopelessness. Try to throw in a couple of wails of despair once the room is formed.

Take advantage of the fact that you're being slowed down in this room to make your movements slow and fluid, just like the song.
    Next, form a large shadow ball... then use it on yourself. Lavender town is a theme about a town that hosts a graveyard, and we need to capture the pain one might go through when visiting this town.

Once you're hit by the shadow ball, make sure the shadow ball kind of disperses into a dark fog around you.
    Next, after the shadow ball hits you, do a dramatic fall so that you look like you're laying down within the trick room.

Finally, as the appeal comes to an end; make the trick room disappear, slowly levitate down to the ground (while still looking like you're laying down). As the song ends, Teleport away, signifying the feeling of loss one feels when visiting lavender town.

Master Trainer

THE PERFORMING ARTS CONTEST

• PRE-ROUND •

• ROUND ONE APPEALS •

• ROUND ONE SCORES •

• POST-ROUND •

NOTES:

• Everyone advances to the second round! This next exercise will test your Pokemon's ability to portray a character as they will be asked to imitate another Pokemon. You can execute your imitation in a number of ways. You might focus on creating a believable illusion (perhaps covering your Pokemon in Sludge or Vine Whips to make it look like a Grimer or Tangela) or you might skip the aesthetics altogether and simply try to emulate a Pokemon's temperament (Resting like a Snorlax or eating a lot like a Gulpin). Whatever you do, creativity and memorability are key. It's also advised that you try to be at least a little ambitious with your Pokemon selection, as an Aipom imitating an Ambipom or even a Pansage isn't going to leave a strong impression. The appeal will consist of three attacks and you'll be using whichever Pokemon you didn't use for the first round. You'll have until one week from today. Hop to it!
    Last edited by Oslo; 11th June 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Ok, Ms Skitty-Fantastico, with your amazing Cute charm...

Take these yellow ears, and lightning bolt tail cover. Today, you are a PIKACHU! A little Rogue on your cheeks, a little bit of spunk, and you are all set! Since I can't GIVE you items... Smack your cheeks with your tail to get the Red... And hold your tail out sideways!

Like the wild Pikachu, you are elusive and fast. Show that with your Wild Charge.

When a Pikachu is cornered, it is sure to shock you. Demonstrate that by falling back after the charge, and letting off a Thunder Wave.

Once a Pikachu has the advantage, it lets off its greatest attack, the mighty Thunder!

Fin
    Last edited by Ayeun; 11th June 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: No items...

Master Trainer

No handing your Pokemon costume pieces.

Advanced Trainer

Alright Le-a lets use that Frisk start off by pulling back your hair and ribbons to look like the speaker things on an Exploud.

Then Get Mad and let it all out because you look like a cluster-fuck from the emo-transvestite department of baby gap

Next show them what they get for laughing at your appearance with a Menacing Look

And Finally since you know that you have the attention of the audience start singing some Lady Gaga as Loud as Possible

Frustration~Mean Look~Uproar

Fin

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker

Advanced Trainer

hmm alright Leo start by covering yourself with pink paint while sketching a spiral on the ground, try to make yourself look like a mew then start teleporting all around the arena, never letting anyone see you for too long (though its ok to slow down a bit if you feel your concentration slipping) end by activating the sketch which sends out a bright flash of confuse ray while cleansing off the paint end by standing there like it never happened

Elite Trainer

Yeesh. I'm cutting it close with these appeals.

Alright, start by forming an aura sphere, but make it form on top of your head. I want you to try and keep that aura sphere above your head at all times, and make it look as much like a pearl as possible (if it's possible, even try using "substitute" on the aura sphere to make it look like a spoink's pearl.

Next, I want you to start bouncing. Even use the move bounce a couple of times. If you can, make your tail look like a spring that you can bounce on, but don't worry if you can't.

Finally, I want you to stop bouncing, suddenly clutch your heart as if you're having a heart attack, and play dead. This is to simulate Spoink's pokedex entry (if it ever stops bouncing, its heart stops and it dies).

Master Trainer

Reminder for MLG! You have roughly 24 hrs to get your appeal up or else risk being DQ'd. Might give you a little bit of leeway time, but no guarantee.

EDIT: Okay, for realsy reals, this is going up tomorrow night with or without MLG's appeal.

EDIT: omglol, stuff keeps coming up, will have this round doneskies tomorrow night for sure
    Last edited by Oslo; 22nd June 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Master Trainer

• PRE-ROUND •

• ROUND TWO APPEALS •

• ROUND TWO SCORES •

• POST-ROUND •

NOTES:

• Leo's 101x103 sprite laughs at my attempts to get the table to align vertically
    • Okay, everyone! Time for the final round! BTPoke firmly holds the lead for now, but will someone be able to perform a sneak attack and take the crown? For your final appeal, you will be using both of your Pokemon to perform a dramatic scene! Basically, you will reenact a scene from the anime or a notable moment from the handheld games. For example, you might reenact Ash's Caterpie owning Team Rocket or Lostelle getting attacked by a wild Hypno in Berry Forest. It's up to you! Just try to make it creative and memorable. Also, to help you out, you have the following at your disposal:
    • BACKDROPS: Forest, Cave, City, Building Interior, Meadow, Oceanside
    • PROPS: Any in-game item (Poké Doll, Great Ball, etc.) can be used as a prop (max. 10)
    • MUSIC: Any song from the games or anime can be used as background music
    At the beginning of the appeal, you'll state which backdrop/props/music you'll be using and they will magically be put in place for you, at which point you will launch into your appeal. Your two Pokemon will have four moves shared between them and you can split those moves however you like (3-1, 2-2 or 1-3). It's a lot to keep in mind, so feel free to ask questions if you're uncertain about anything! You have one week. Break a leg!
    Last edited by Oslo; 29th June 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Elite Trainer

Will our pokemon somehow be able to perform the speaking roles? or will they be silent?

Advanced Trainer

Oh i know exactly what to do for this and to give the audience some feels ;-;

EDIT: Moves to come later as soon as i have an idea of what to use as a prop
    Last edited by Emerald_Gen.3; 24th June 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker

Master Trainer

They won't be able to speak English (this ain't the Safari Zone, after all), but the audience will probably be able to figure out what they're saying nonetheless. That said, speaking is optional.

Advanced Trainer

can I use clothing from the anime?

Master Trainer

Didn't consider costumes! As long as they're not too extreme and outrageous, yes, you can.

Advanced Trainer

Background: Meadow
    Props: Pokedoll(shaped like a Pikachu)
    Music: Route 1 Theme(I think this takes place in Route 1)

Le-a start by putting on Ash's outfit and then use Double Team but only make one of yourself, next we'll put Brock's outfit on the clone and finally for costumes put Misty's outfit on Kissing Booth. Make sure you are holding the Pokedoll the entire time. Then both of you use Fake Tears because you have to leave each other. And finally Le-a use the Pokedoll to walk away while using Fake Tears. Kissing Booth walk in a different direction and the clone walk with Le-a for a little bit before going away as well.

Fin

P.S: If you can guess what this is you get a cookie

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker

Elite Trainer

Oh, wait, one more question. Can we do a scene from the movies?

Master Trainer

As long as by "the movies" you mean "the anime movies" then sure! Also, since we're at the deadline and only one appeal has been posted, I will give you an extension until this Friday. Hop to it, boys and girls!

Too so long coz I haven't watched much of the anime since I was in high school (and that was over X years ago ).

However, there is a beautiful scene that we are gonna replicate.
    Backdrop: A forest.
    Music: The excited battle theme.
    Props needed: One x Grabby hand, bought from any toy store.

Skitty will be staying in the role from last turn (as a Pikachu), and Bundeary will be playing... herself!

Ok... This is the first time that Dawn's Buneary (before it was hers) meets the group.

First she knocks out Dawn's fighters and enters with a bang... A Bouncey bang!

She is smitten with Pikachu, so much so that she Freezes Ash and co with an Ice Beam just for some alone time.

She then grabs Pikachu (Skitty) and runs off, happily holding hands and spinning him around and around. But Pikachu does not return her feelings, and so she crys. A lot. It makes Pikachu feel bad! Fake Tears.

Oh no! From side stage, the laugh of Team Rocket as a grabby hand (Prop) grabs Buneary. And Ash and co are frozen! What will Pikachu do? Shock Team Rocket to get her free! Thunderbolt! Good work Pikachu.

OH NO! It didn't work. Those wiley Team Rocket's. What will Pikachu do? Tune in next time, for another exciting episode of Dragonball Z Ayeun's Contest Appeals!

(Spoiler:) Inspiration from: youtube

Elite Trainer

Ok, I think I finally figured out what I'm going to do for this, and I think it fits my pokemon rather well.

This scene is from a movie, and I believe it is one of the sadder and more beautiful scenes that I've seen.
    Backdrop:Cave
    Music: Goodbye ~ Lucario
    Props: Pokedoll (shaped like mew would be best if possible), (if possible) aura guardian clothing for Gardevoir.
    Gardevoir will be playing the part of Ash (I know, you're female, but what can ya do?), and Sake will be playing the part of Lucario.

Alright. The mew pokedoll will be up on a pedestal-type area, the heart of the Tree of Beginning. Mew is sick, and is slowly dying, and that could mean the end of the tree itself (due to a symbiotic relationship Mew and the tree had going on).

Gardevoir, you will go up to the mew pokedoll, and shape a Heal Pulse into the shape of a sphere, forming it around Mew in an attempt to heal it. The Heal Pulse needs to look weak at first, because you're not trained to be an aura guardian, but then it slowly needs to amass into a large sphere that encompasses Mew entirely. Try to make it look as much like aura as possible.

As the heal pulse does its work, Rosalinda shows visible signs of pain and fatigue. Sake sees this, and motions to Rosalinda to stop this, that she will surely die from the exertion. Rosalinda, defiant, continues to go to work with the Heal Pulse.

Reluctantly, Sake goes to Rosalinda's side, holds out one palm (if you need to, you can use two. It doesn't really matter much), and charges up an aura sphere. This aura sphere is to be made without the intent of doing damage. You need to make sure that the aura sphere is joined with the heal pulse, and the two moves need to become one so that the power of aura begins to heal mew.

Rosalinda, I want you to discretely use a thunder wave on Sake as soon as he makes contact with you on this next part, ok?

As the both of you show more signs of fatigue, and Rosalinda looks like she's about to give out, Sake shoves Rosalinda away to spare her from death. Sake, it is important for you to keep up that aura sphere, ok? It will work wonders if the heal pulse is also somehow kept up, but no matter what, that aura sphere needs to be there.

Rosalinda appears shocked at how Sake will sacrifice himself like this. Sake looks to Rosalinda as the healing is eventually completed, a smile on his face as he knows what's about to happen to him.

As the healing of Mew completes, Sake needs to slowly dissipate the aura sphere. Do not launch it, do not make it explode, just focus so that is neatly dissipates. Then, sake, (hopefully blue) sparks leaping off of him, limps over to the crystal that holds Sir Aaron after going through a similar process, before slumping down.

End Scene.

Also, wow, I just noticed that I've been doing a lot of dark/sad stuff for this contest.

Advanced Trainer

ok one last thing before trying something, can a sketch/prop mimic an ability, lets say illusion and would using it count as a move?

Master Trainer

I'mma say no.

Advanced Trainer

oh well, ok we're going for the epic battle scene from pokemon the movie 1 (the fight scene between mew and mewtwo) I'm wearing Ash's gear and the backdrop is building interior and the music from the movie will be playing
    start with leo disguising herself and ric as mew and mewtwo respectively, then lucario uses role play and psychic to get into character, while leo uses psychic, I run up to do the punch and ric (lightly) throws me away then he and leo act out the battle in their bubbles ending with turning the bubbles into a blast of psy energy that I jump into, get hit and act like I'm dead/stone (could never figure out which) then ric uses the psychic to imitate the tears, and scene
    dont remember the movie as well as I should so sorry if its missing details

Advanced Trainer

What happened to Friday

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker

Master Trainer

Mhm? I gave an extension until Friday, everybody got it in and so now I will take the next few days to get it all judged.

Master Trainer

• PRE-ROUND •

• ROUND THREE APPEALS •

• ROUND THREE SCORES •

• POST-ROUND •

And that's the Contest! Congratulations to BTPoke, Rosalinda and Sake for coming out victorious. Those were some fierce appeals and you truly deserve this win. For trouncing the competition, they take home six points and the Musical Theatre Ribbon! Yay! The rest of you, good work. See you next time!

*disappears in a puff of flannel shirts*